PDA

View Full Version : Lions' Suh suspended two games for Thanksgiving stomp

Playoffs
11-29-2011, 12:16 PM
DETROIT (AP) -- Ndamukong Suh's stomp will cost him two games.
The NFL suspended Detroit's All-Pro defensive tackle on Tuesday for roughing up a Green Bay Packers player in front of a national television audience during a loss on Thanksgiving Day. Suh will miss Sunday night's game at New Orleans and a Dec. 11 home game against Minnesota and he won't be paid until he is reinstated Dec. 12...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/11/29/ndamukong.suh.suspension.ap/index.html

Vinny
11-29-2011, 12:31 PM
I wonder if Subway will keep running his commercials?

HOU-TEX
11-29-2011, 12:45 PM
I really like Suh as a player, but what he did was just pathetic. Great DT, but obviously still has a lot to learn.

Texecutioner
11-29-2011, 12:58 PM
I wonder if Subway will keep running his commercials?

I'd flip it if I were Subway.

How hilarious would it be if Subway had him in a new commercial where he was stomping their competitor's sandwich's?? I'd laugh my ass off.

Goatcheese
11-29-2011, 01:24 PM
This thing has been overblown. The O-Line man took him down after the play was over and Suh lost his cool. He should have been ejected, fined for fighting and then everyone could go on with their lives. It isn't like he ripped the guy's helmet off and stomped on his face. He punked a little ***** who shoved him down after the play and then went a little overboard by kicking the prick when he got up.

He's not dirty, just immature.

Texecutioner
11-29-2011, 01:36 PM

Yeah, he's not dirty. He just makes highlight reels every single week for doing something that's considered dirty by the masses. He's not a little boy to where he can be called immature. He's a grown man that chooses to play more dirty than we've seen anyone play in years.

Goatcheese
11-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Yeah, he's not dirty. He just makes highlight reels every single week for doing something that's considered dirty by the masses. He's not a little boy to where he can be called immature. He's a grown man that chooses to play more dirty than we've seen anyone play in years.

There's no argument that Suh is a vicious football player. The guy plays mean and the modern pussified fan can't tell the difference between mean and dirty. It doesn't hurt that the average fan is borderline retarded either.

Suh's problem is that he loses control of his temper(immature) not that he goes out and decides to hurt people(dirty). Stomping on a guy after a fight is a sign that he lost his temper. He didn't go out there looking for a chance to hurt someone.

Guys like Romo who would break people's fingers in the pile to try to rip the ball away were dirty. Fat Assbert, who coldly stood over a player and stomped on his face, is dirty.

Being violent is not dirty. It's football. Most of the things people are whining about were not even penalties a decade ago. You would have had people laughing in your face if you called Suh dirty in the 90's.

Texecutioner
11-29-2011, 02:43 PM
It doesn't hurt that the average fan is borderline retarded either.

The only fan that would get described that way is the guy that is trying to make a case that Suh isn't a dirty player after so many multiple occurences in only his 2nd season.

I like Suh a lot and he is very exciting to watch, but saying that he isn't dirty is like saying that Andre Johnson isn't big or physical. It's ridiculous argument to make at this point.

Vinny
11-29-2011, 02:46 PM
I'd flip it if I were Subway.

How hilarious would it be if Subway had him in a new commercial where he was stomping their competitor's sandwich's?? I'd laugh my ass off.

that's a pretty darn good idea. You are the guy running Cain's campaign aren't you?

infantrycak
11-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Most of the things people are whining about were not even penalties a decade ago. You would have had people laughing in your face if you called Suh dirty in the 90's.

Knowingly violating the rules of whatever time period is the definition of dirty. He is intentionally (and specifically said on a couple occasions) refusing to alter his play to comply with the current rules. That's dirty. The players around him have an expectation of compliance with the rules. The guys opposite him would be playing differently if they were using 1990 rules as well. Unless you want to defend him as such a moron that he can't comprehend the rules (plead the moron defense) then the dude has played dirty so far.

Double Barrel
11-29-2011, 03:18 PM
This thing has been overblown. The O-Line man took him down after the play was over and Suh lost his cool. He should have been ejected, fined for fighting and then everyone could go on with their lives. It isn't like he ripped the guy's helmet off and stomped on his face. He punked a little ***** who shoved him down after the play and then went a little overboard by kicking the prick when he got up.

NFL players completely disagree with you.

Midseason player poll: Ndamukong Suh voted dirtiest by landslide (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-11/players-poll/story/midseason-player-poll-ndamukong-suh-voted-dirtiest-player-by-landslide)

With half the season finished, Sporting News’ network of NFL correspondents asked 111 players from 31 teams everything you want to know about what has happened—and will happen—in 2011.

As always in our midseason poll, players were not allowed to name their team, teammates or head coach for any of their answers.

Who is the dirtiest player in the league?

Detroit Lions DT Ndamukong Suh—36

gwallaia
11-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Courtland Innegan is going to have to step up his game to regain the top spot.

Texecutioner
11-29-2011, 03:22 PM
that's a pretty darn good idea. You are the guy running Cain's campaign aren't you?

I'm not sure what the hell to think about that one Vinny? :thinking:

Goatcheese
11-29-2011, 03:23 PM
NFL players completely disagree with you.

NFL players mostly go home and get their news from watching talking heads on ESPN/NFLN like everyone else. 36 players out of nearly 1,700 in the league is meaningless anyway.

Texecutioner
11-29-2011, 03:28 PM
NFL players mostly go home and get their news from watching talking heads on ESPN/NFLN like everyone else. 36 players out of nearly 1,700 in the league is meaningless anyway.

What part of the action of trying to stomp on someone while they're defenseless on the ground are you missing on the way of being able to interpret that as a dirty act on a football field? You completely contradict yourself when you call Fat Albert all these names and call him this dirty ass player, but then defend a guy like Suh who has just in two years waaaaayyy surpassed Albert Haynesworth as far as having questionable and dirty plays on the field in just two seasons alone.

And as far as ESPN and their analysts, they've actually given him the benefit of the doubt on several plays and have stuck up for him a lot more than they should have in the past and that was because he was exciting and fun to watch. If anything, they've been generous and not criticized him enough at this point since he certainly hasn't seemed to get it.

Playoffs
11-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Report: Lions' Ndamukong Suh plans to appeal 2-game suspension (http://www.freep.com/article/20111129/SPORTS01/111129025/Report-Lions-Ndamukong-Suh-plans-appeal-2-game-suspension)

Detroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh plans to appeal his two-game suspension for stomping on a Green Bay Packers offensive lineman, according to a report on ESPN.
According to the ESPN report, Suh was encouraged to appeal his suspension by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell -- the man who handed down the punishment.
The suspension is without pay, so Suh will forfeit $165,647 -- two-seventeenths of his $1.405-million base salary.
The Lions also are in line to be fined $50,000 for exceeding $100,000 in fines as a team (with a maximum of $50,000 per incident). Team fines are handed out after the season, after all appeals are exhausted.

Goatcheese
11-29-2011, 03:29 PM
What part of the action of trying to stomp on someone while they're defenseless on the ground are you missing on the way of being able to interpret that as a dirty act on a football field? You completely contradict yourself when you call Fat Albert all these names and call him this dirty ass player, but then defend a guy like Suh who has just in two years waaaaayyy surpassed Albert Haynesworth as far as having questionable and dirty plays on the field in just two seasons alone.

And as far as ESPN and their analysts, they've actually given him the benefit of the doubt on several plays and have stuck up for him a lot more than they should have in the past and that was because he was exciting and fun to watch. If anything, they've been generous and not criticized him enough at this point since he certainly hasn't seemed to get it.

I've already clearly laid out why I view them differently. Work on your reading comprehension.

Texecutioner
11-29-2011, 03:36 PM
I've already clearly laid out why I view them differently. Work on your reading comprehension.

The ole reading comprehension card being played now?? Lol!

Sorry, but you aren't even recognizing the fact that you called one guy a bunch of names and called him dirty for the same act that SUh pulled and all you did was try and twist as if it wasn't the same, but that killed your entire stance from the jump. You've been shown a survey by NFL players who compete against this guy, and you even brush that off as if they don't know shit either when they're the ones lining up against this guy.

Sorry, but this is laughable dude.

Goatcheese
11-29-2011, 03:44 PM
The ole reading comprehension card being played now?? Lol!

Sorry, but you aren't even recognizing the fact that you called one guy a bunch of names and called him dirty for the same act that SUh pulled and all you did was try and twist as if it wasn't the same, but that killed your entire stance from the jump. You've been shown a survey by NFL players who compete against this guy, and you even brush that off as if they don't know shit either when they're the ones lining up against this guy.

Sorry, but this is laughable dude.

Yes, the old reading comprehension card. Go back and actually read what I wrote. I'm not going to spell it out for you over and over. Either you have the IQ to understand it or you don't.

Oh, what the hell. I'll treat you like the four year old you insist on being.

One player got into a scuffle/fight after that player drove him to the ground after a play, and as a non-stop continuation of said conflict kick/stomped on the arm of the player he was fighting with as he got up and was disentangling himself from said player.

With me so far? Do I need to use smaller words?

Another player calmly stood over an opponent, looked down at him and made the decision to stomp on his exposed head.

One was anger and immaturity and the other was just flat out dirty.

Was it dirty when Andre Johnson ripped the helmet off of a certain tinbred and beat the F out of him, or was it a loss of emotional control?

Texecutioner
11-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Yes, the old reading comprehension card. Go back and actually read what I wrote. I'm not going to spell it out for you over and over. Either you have the IQ to understand it or you don't.

Oh, what the hell. I'll treat you like the four year old you insist on being.

I've understood your premise this entire time. You are the one that is failing to realize that it's a joke as far as how you've been trying to rationalize Suh's actions.

One player got into a scuffle/fight after that player drove him to the ground after a play, and as a non-stop continuation of said conflict kick/stomped on the arm of the player he was fighting with as he got up and was disentangling himself from said player.

And right above here is your mistake once again at thinking that you can somehow explain and rationalize this as anything but dirty especially when this involves someone who makes the news almost every week for either questionable actions on the field or downright dirty actions where people everywhere are criticizing him.

You're being understood with your attempt to spin this and act like it's different, but you're failing to understand that your attempt isn't even close to being swallowed as valid. Now you can keep making insults and acting like no one is understanding you to skirt the issue, but it's a swing and miss every time when you're trying to argue that Suh isn't a dirty player and this is coming from a guy who loves to watch him play.

Wolf
11-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Andre told the ref ...and refs did nothing ...Andre also didn't get fined

Also it was two players going at it,not one guy on the ground and get stomped

Double Barrel
11-29-2011, 04:10 PM

Riiiiiiiiiight. :ok:

And the NFL must go home and get their news from watching talking heads on ESPN/NFLN like everyone else, too?

These aren't the statistics Ndamukong Suh was looking to compile in his second season — nine personal foul penalties, $47,500 in fines, $165,000 in lost salary and, as the NFL decreed Tuesday morning, a two-game suspension.

---------------------------------

"It was Suh's fifth violation of on-field rules in the past two seasons that has resulted in league discipline."

Source (http://www.detnews.com/article/20111129/SPORTS0101/111290404/Lions%E2%80%99-Ndamukong-Suh-expected-to-appeal-two-game-suspension)

Look, I like the guy. I like the passion and aggression that he brings to the game. But, at some point, it's got to be controlled within himself. He's got to act like a professional out there, or he's going to end up being another Albert Haynesworth.

I understand that you want to defend your boy at all cost, so I have to wonder where you draw the line in the sand and say that "this" would be too far.

Dutchrudder
11-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Andre told the ref ...and refs did nothing ...Andre also didn't get fined

Also it was two players going at it,not one guy on the ground and get stomped

Andre and Courtland were both fined $25,000. Neither were suspended, but both were ejected from that game.

For Tex & Goatcheese:

Suh's stomp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXDmCVSnn1U

Haynesworth's stomp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW4XUpN9bPQ

Haynesworth stepped on a player's exposed head, Suh stomps on the guy's forearm. I don't think the two incidents are the same thing, as Al's had the potential to do much more damage (and it did), but in contrast the GB guy gets up quickly and doesn't appear to be the slightest bit hurt.

eriadoc
11-29-2011, 04:44 PM
This thing has been overblown. The O-Line man took him down after the play was over and Suh lost his cool.

When someone loses their cool a lot, it's no longer overblown. Suh has a pattern of behavior now.

Texecutioner
11-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Andre and Courtland were both fined $25,000. Neither were suspended, but both were ejected from that game.

For Tex & Goatcheese:

Suh's stomp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXDmCVSnn1U

Haynesworth's stomp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW4XUpN9bPQ

Haynesworth stepped on a player's exposed head, Suh stomps on the guy's forearm. I don't think the two incidents are the same thing, as Al's had the potential to do much more damage (and it did), but in contrast the GB guy gets up quickly and doesn't appear to be the slightest bit hurt.

I wasn't in here to argue whether or not if Haynesworth's action was a little worse or if the guy was able to be hurt more or less. It's the "intent" that matters at the end of all of this, and both players were clearly in a violent mode with malitious intent when they decided to use their foot as a weapon on a guy lying on the ground in a pile. Suh has shown bad intentions in several games going on two years now and NFL players around the league have all came out and injected their disdain for how this guy plays at times. This is just one incident of many that we could debate about, but the fact that we've got so many repeated incidents sort of ends any question of whether or not this guy is dirty or not. I can't even believe that this is being debated honestly.

Goatcheese
11-29-2011, 05:45 PM
I've understood your premise this entire time. You are the one that is failing to realize that it's a joke as far as how you've been trying to rationalize Suh's actions.

Clearly not or you would not have argued that Fatass standing over a defenseless guy and making the cold, calculated, malicious decision to stomp on his exposed head is the SAME thing as a kick/stomp in the middle of a fight.

I'm not arguing that what Suh did was ok. Fighting is unsportsmanlike, even when AJ beat the F out of Innegan(a point you conveniently ducked). It is not dirty. Dirty is when you make a concious decision to try to injure someone.

Doing something stupid in the heat of a fight is not in the same universe as stomping on a defenseless guy's head just out of pure malice and intent to inflict injury.

...you called one guy a bunch of names and called him dirty for the SAME act that SUh pulled and all you did was try and twist as if it wasn't the SAME ...

NOT THE SAME

The1ApplePie
11-29-2011, 06:57 PM
So everyone in this topic that played organized football never stomped on somebody, punched a guy, delivered a cheapshot, hit a guy in the throat, etc?

Of course I was coached by assholes that pretty much encouraged that, so I may be biased.:cow:

Never stomped a guy though.

GP
11-29-2011, 07:04 PM
I think it IS the same.

Had that stomp landed perfectly, he could have snapped the guy's forearm. Highly unlikely, but as a player...your arms are as important as your head. As are your knees, and your feet (as we well know by now).

Can't argue that it's different. In fact, Suh (IMO) was shoving the guy's head down into the turf and even jerking it back and forth a bit for added discomfort...THEN he had the balls to stomp the guy as he's walking away.

So for me, it looked like Suh was hell-bent on making sure he doled out as much frustration as he could. In my reality, that shows Suh lost it so badly that he forgot people with stripes on their shirt were watching him. In Suh's reality, all he saw was some dude getting payback for something.

Finnegan and AJ have had a history for YEARS. In addition, Finnegan (like Suh) has had a history of excessive extra-curricular activity that has been recorded like a felon's rap sheet.

It's not fair to even compare the AJ-Finnegan drama to the Suh incidents. To me, Finnegan and Suh are the same person who have been COACHED by the same guy, Jim Schwartz. Schwartz is a dirty-play bastard just like Del Rio is. Plain and simple.

The Harbaugh-Schwartz Midfield Handshake Meltdown, where Schwartz overreacted juuuuuuust like Suh did is amazingly not talked about as much as it should be. Coach and player are the same person.

Rey
11-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Doing something stupid in the heat of a fight is not in the same universe as stomping on a defenseless guy's head just out of pure malice and intent to inflict injury
NOT THE SAME

Didn't look like a fight to me....

Just looked like Suh was frustrated...

And I disagree that doing something "stupid" in a fight should be looked at as less of an action...

Doing something out of frustration and anger is doing something out of frustration and anger. You can make a case that O-linemen and D-linemen fight on every snap. Legally and within the rules, but the intensity is about the same as if you were throwing blows.

Rey
11-29-2011, 07:15 PM
So everyone in this topic that played organized football never stomped on somebody, punched a guy, delivered a cheapshot, hit a guy in the throat, etc?

I played all the way from junior high thru college and I never did any of that.

Goatcheese
11-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Didn't look like a fight to me....

Just looked like Suh was frustrated...

The other guy got his in when he drove Suh to the ground after the play was over. Everyone else is walking away and he's trying to push Suh through the turf. I don't blame Suh for being upset, but he does need to stop reacting in such an immature manner. There's a right way and a wrong way to deal with frustration.

All I'm saying is that there's a big gap between what Suh did and dirty. He deserved to be ejected and fined, but a two game suspension ontop of that is overkill.

infantrycak
11-29-2011, 10:35 PM
The other guy got his in when he drove Suh to the ground after the play was over. Everyone else is walking away and he's trying to push Suh through the turf. I don't blame Suh for being upset, but he does need to stop reacting in such an immature manner. There's a right way and a wrong way to deal with frustration.

All I'm saying is that there's a big gap between what Suh did and dirty. He deserved to be ejected and fined, but a two game suspension ontop of that is overkill.

Wow, get a new TV, satellite service and glasses and maybe a chart of team colors. They go to the ground together with Suh landing mostly on top and then he is the one who tries to shove the Green Bay players head into the turf three times before getting up and stomping on him. You have been so adamant all day about this I had to go look it up again. You are totally re-writing what happened.

GP
11-30-2011, 02:13 AM

Hmmm...what I recall seeing on my TV screen was BOTH guys tangled up with their arms and a blocker finishing the play on Suh.

The way you're saying it, the whistle had blown and for several seconds afterward the Packers guy is still pursuing the block and taking Suh to the ground.

If anything, Suh was pissed that he was taken out of the play AND fell to the ground with the Packers blocker still holding onto him. The whistle was blowing, IIRC, as the two guys are falling to the ground.

It just looked like Suh was angry and was hell-bent on giving a little extra effort for the sake of getting into the head of the Packers blocker...and he lost himself and went for the stomp because for whatever reason Suh didn't get the fearful response he wanted out of the guy.

To me, Suh looks like a pissy, moaning little hissy fit throwing BABY who can't handle not making the play every single time.

The whole key to this ordeal is JIM SCHWARTZ. That's all any of us need to know about this whole drama. Connect the dots, it's pretty damn easy.

The1ApplePie
11-30-2011, 11:18 AM
I played all the way from junior high thru college and I never did any of that.

Alot of it depends on your coach. Some do actively encourage it.

I believe Jim Swartz in Detroit certainly does. Mike Shanahan is another coach that makes cheapshots part of the gameplan.

Texaninlild
11-30-2011, 12:01 PM

Wrong, he was slamming the guys head on the turf and then stomped on him like an overstuffed toddler throwing a fit. It should have been 3+ games for his fake sorry cry to Goodell as*.

TimeKiller
11-30-2011, 12:03 PM
I can't believe the title isn't something along the lines of :

SUH-SPENDED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really. Take it like this young man, AJ beat the hell outta someone's face on live TV and they did nothing because everyone from Goodell to ME knew that Innegan deserved it and that AJ is a decent dude.

This guy comes out on THANKSGIVING and plays like that? It probably would've just been another story instead of suspension if he had just stopped after the head slams.

KICKING?!?!?

That's ****ing weak Ndamakong. Real weak.

Texecutioner
11-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Clearly not or you would not have argued that Fatass standing over a defenseless guy and making the cold, calculated, malicious decision to stomp on his exposed head is the SAME thing as a kick/stomp in the middle of a fight.

I'm not arguing that what Suh did was ok. Fighting is unsportsmanlike, even when AJ beat the F out of Innegan(a point you conveniently ducked). It is not dirty. Dirty is when you make a concious decision to try to injure someone.

Doing something stupid in the heat of a fight is not in the same universe as stomping on a defenseless guy's head just out of pure malice and intent to inflict injury.

NOT THE SAME

You're entire premise here has been a giant spin that Suh isn't a dirty player. All you've done is tried to spin his actions as different things or different "intent" purposes, but it's been ridiculous from the start, because no one's idea that Suh is a dirty player came from one play alone. It's come from several over a two year period. That's called a pattern and a pattern shows a consistency in behavior. I don't know why this is so difficult for you to understand or how many ways it can be explained to you.

And stop bringing up AJ and his retaliation to Finnegan. That's a pathetic example to even try to bring into this, and that's exactly why I didn't address it earlier, but since you won't stop trying to shove that into this conversation, I'll explain the difference. AJ has been dealing with dirty play from Finnegan for years. He's told the refs stuff for years. He told the refs about Finnegan in that very same game. AJ knew that Finnegan's MO was to play dirty and to try and bait AJ into doing something stupid. AJ finally lost it and couldn't take it anymore and he retaliated. That isn't anywhere close to the same thing. Not even in the same galaxy as far as AJ's actions go. Suh is more like Finnegan in that respect in that Finnegan has had a long pattern of this behavior with a lot of players but specifically AJ since they play twice a year. Suh has that same pattern of behavior with a lot of players himself, and I'm sure that opposing lineman on other teams in their division that will see him twice a year will experience similar feelings as AJ has had with Finnegan. Funny, that you call Finnegan dirty though because he isn't anywhere near as dirty as Suh has shown to be thus far. You're conveniently picking and choosing players you like and dislike to label them. I get the fact that you're obviously a Suh fan like myself, but I won't sit here and play a blind man to his actions on the field. I loved watching Romanowski for years, but never once was I in disbelief of how dirty he was as a player.

Hardcore Texan
11-30-2011, 12:51 PM
SUH is a dirty S.O.B. :smooch:

Playoffs
11-30-2011, 02:12 PM
Posted Nov. 27, 2011 @ 6:02 p.m. ET
By ProFootballWeekly staff

The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

• "(Lions DT) Ndamukong Suh is so full of (crap). He's living off where he got drafted. People that think he has played well are scouting off ESPN and watching too many highlights. Yeah, he looks great in flashes against weak sisters. I wouldn't want him over either one of the guys we have. He is a coward."

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/11/27/insider-suh-not-playing-as-well-as-portrayed

Goatcheese
11-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Wow, get a new TV, satellite service and glasses and maybe a chart of team colors.

I'm quite happy with my Samsung UN65D8000 and lasik with Doc. Lipsky. I recommend them to everyone.

They go to the ground together with Suh landing mostly on top and then he is the one who tries to shove the Green Bay players head into the turf three times before getting up and stomping on him. You have been so adamant all day about this I had to go look it up again. You are totally re-writing what happened.

Wow, when you say it like that it completely changes everything!

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/SchoonPK/Suh.jpg

Double Barrel
11-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Here is a really clear video of the play (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXDmCVSnn1U).

Start at 0:49 to see the takedown.

He ended up on his knees from his own forward momentum. The o-lineman may or may not have intentionally fell forward on him. But, regardless, what Suh did afterward was lose his cool, and that is what got him ejected / suspended.

Rey
11-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Alot of it depends on your coach. Some do actively encourage it.

I believe Jim Swartz in Detroit certainly does. Mike Shanahan is another coach that makes cheapshots part of the gameplan.

I had a coach tell me that when defensive players raise their hands to bat balls punch them in the stomach. He said that'd keep them From doing it again.

Never did it though.

I never felt comfortable doing something to someone that would piss me off and make me want to fight if done to me.

Plus, some of the better coaches I've had convinced the team that revenge is much sweeter when handled legally between the whistles.

Guys want you to stoop their level and when you don't and simply kick their ass on the field, it demoralizes them. You can see it all in their eyes.

steelbtexan
12-01-2011, 12:19 AM
This is just another example of the wussification of the NFL.

Im not a Lions fan, Suh should've been disciplined but this was excessive. How many players were fined before Goddell became Commish?

Goddell is in the process of ruining the game for fans that like a hard hitting, letting the players handle their business on the field. This started with Gene Washington a WR as the enforcement guy. It has only gotten worse with Anderson, and Whoever has taken over for Pereira as head of the officials is an ***** (s) the I word

mexican_texan
12-01-2011, 01:45 AM
I'm not sure what the hell to think about that one Vinny? :thinking:

lol. I <3 Vinny.

mexican_texan
12-01-2011, 01:48 AM

Please come back and say that after a 300 lb. defensive tackle stomps you in the head with his cleat.

A lot of you folks that keep talking about the 'wussification of football' need to see Earl Campbell and 40 year old players that can barely speak or walk anymore. It's one thing to take contact out of a contact sport, it's quite another thing to let the game be as dangerous as it currently is.

The1ApplePie
12-01-2011, 10:20 AM
I had a coach tell me that when defensive players raise their hands to bat balls punch them in the stomach. He said that'd keep them From doing it again.

Never did it though.

I never felt comfortable doing something to someone that would piss me off and make me want to fight if done to me.

Plus, some of the better coaches I've had convinced the team that revenge is much sweeter when handled legally between the whistles.

Guys want you to stoop their level and when you don't and simply kick their ass on the field, it demoralizes them. You can see it all in their eyes.

I agree.

From junior high to my senior year in high school, I had one good coach. The rest encouraged dirty play, fighting in the locker room, etc.

My best friend broke a kid's neck on a crackback block when we were sophmores. The coach took my friend aside:

Coach: "If he can't walk again, you have to visit him in the hospital."
Friend: "Really?"
Coach: "No. Just kidding. **** that guy." (walked off laughing).

The kid was fine and didn't lose any movement thankfully, but still:foottap:

Vinny
12-01-2011, 11:05 AM

Never did it though.

I tell my kid to try to pancake guys who stand up tall and raise their hands. I'd never advocate punching them in the gut and I find it hard to believe a real coach is teaching players to take punches at people. That kind of stuff gets you kicked out of games. I've been around a ton of coaches, been in many practices and watched hundreds of practices and I've never seen anyone advocate blatant dirty play.

If a guy stands tall or raises his hands and jumps while standing upright, get under him and drive him into the turf....if a guy falls, fall on him and knock his wind out so he is breathing hard the next play. You don't punch people nor do you stomp on anyone. I believe in being physical as hell, but there is no place for dirty play unless you are a low character guy. There is a difference in being physically tough and being dirty. I don't think there are many coaches teaching dirty play. Physical? certainly. Dirty? no way. The Parents are watching all lover level football and that's a fast way to the door for a HC coaching HS or Jr High.

Rey
12-01-2011, 11:46 AM
I I don't think there are many coaches teaching dirty play. Physical? certainly. Dirty? no way. The Parents are watching all lover level football and that's a fast way to the door for a HC coaching HS or Jr High.

This guy was my first coach I had when I got to college.

He was fired the next year.

I hated that guy. Didn't teach any technique...Just told us to block that guy...try harder...Only the technique I learned from highschool is what carried me through my first year...

He used to make us do punishments just because...I thought he was a cool guy when I met him on my recruiting trip, but geezus was I wrong....Total ass-hole. I pretty much lost all respect for him when I saw him drunk at a club hitting on girls our age...And he was married...

I remember he was messing around in the training room and the head coach came in and said, "If you keep this up I'm going to take YOUR scholarship"...

Me and a couple teammates had a really good laugh about that....

I will say one thing though...I was never in better shape and I never played with as much animosity in my life...I really disliked that guy, but I have to admit that he made me a better player...But that is only because my highschool coach was such a beast and I carried all the good stuff over from him and mixed it with the neanderthalish coaching I received that first year from him.....

infantrycak
12-01-2011, 12:06 PM

Funny, the guys on Inside the NFL all agreed the hitting now is harder than ever before.

GlassHalfFull
12-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Funny, the guys on Inside the NFL all agreed the hitting now is harder than ever before.

I am too lazy to look this up and research it. But I read a while back about the size and speed of today's players is so increased from the past. Think about it, bigger and faster = more damage. Pretty much the laws of physics.

Edit: just to be clear, I am agreeing with Icak and attempting to add on to his point.

Double Barrel
12-01-2011, 12:48 PM

lol! Yeah, let's quit watching this wussy game and go watch something tough like....baseball... :overreact:

No Huddle on NFLN had a great debate about this story last night. Warren Sapp was on the panel, and they got heated with each other.

None of them would label Suh as a "dirty player", but most agreed that this play was dirty.

Jim Rome has been asking is Suh just nasty, or dirty? That's a mighty fine line between the two.

There is a solid case being built by Suh himself that he's earning the reputation for being dirty. It's the uncontrolled rage after the play is dead where he finds himself in trouble.

And when dude goes to the commish on November 1 to plead his case, but then does this on national tv just three weeks later? C'mon, man!

Vinny
12-01-2011, 12:54 PM
lol! Yeah, let's quit watching this wussy game and go watch something tough like....baseball... :overreact:

No Huddle on NFLN had a great debate about this story last night. Warren Sapp was on the panel, and they got heated with each other.

None of them would label Suh as a "dirty player", but most agreed that this play was dirty.

Jim Rome has been asking is Suh just nasty, or dirty? That's a mighty fine line between the two.

There is a solid case being built by Suh himself that he's earning the reputation for being dirty. It's the uncontrolled rage after the play is dead where he finds himself in trouble.

And when dude goes to the commish on November 1 to plead his case, but then does this on national tv just three weeks later? C'mon, man!
to me, when someone says "nasty" in relation to a football player I think it means he will lay the wood on you when given a shot...a guy who doesn't pass up an opportunity to snot-bubble someone. "Dirty" players take it a step further by taking cheap shots. Personally I don't associate the term "nasty player" with a cheap shot player.

infantrycak
12-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I am too lazy to look this up and research it. But I read a while back about the size and speed of today's players is so increased from the past. Think about it, bigger and faster = more damage. Pretty much the laws of physics.

Stark example - Randy White 257 lb DT and All Pro for 9 straight seasons. That is Connor Barwin dropping 7 lbs and playing DT. I doubt there are any DT's at all in the league that size anymore and they sure aren't making All Pro.

Vinny
12-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Stark example - Randy White 257 lb DT and All Pro for 9 straight seasons. That is Connor Barwin dropping 7 lbs and playing DT. I doubt there are any DT's at all in the league that size anymore and they sure aren't making All Pro.
I think Curly Culp played at 268 on the nose...and he was a devastating NT. Munchack was around 280 and a HOF'er no doubt.

Texecutioner
12-01-2011, 01:07 PM

Edit: just to be clear, I am agreeing with Icak and attempting to add on to his point.

This is a good point, and it goes back to a lot of discussions I've had in here where I've talked about the athletes of today being a lot better than so many of these all time greats from like 30 and 40 years ago because of how much bigger, faster, and more explosive they are not only from certain genetics, but from all of the enhanced training methods that have evolved over the years. There is a much higher population in this country as well which easily has brought on more and more competition of athletes growing up and competing to get to the top where only the best of the best reach the NFL level, and that is the same for almost all sports now days.

Vinny
12-01-2011, 01:12 PM
This is a good point, and it goes back to a lot of discussions I've had in here where I've talked about the athletes of today being a lot better than so many of these all time greats from like 30 and 40 years ago because of how much bigger, faster, and more explosive they are not only from certain genetics, but from all of the enhanced training methods that have evolved over the years. There is a much higher population in this country as well which easily has brought on more and more competition of athletes growing up and competing to get to the top where only the best of the best reach the NFL level, and that is the same for almost all sports now days.

I see people say that old players from the past wouldn't make it today since athletes are bigger and faster. If somehow you put a lot of these older star players in a time machine and insert them in programs that today's kids are in from jr high school, they would be bigger, stronger versions of themselves also.

Texecutioner
12-01-2011, 01:42 PM
I see people say that old players from the past wouldn't make it today since athletes are bigger and faster. If somehow you put a lot of these older star players in a time machine and insert them in programs that today's kids are in from jr high school, they would be bigger, stronger versions of themselves also.

No doubt that some of them would. But when I'm comparing certain guys from the past and certain guys from from today all I can use is what I have. I can't speculate on who would have been great if they had this or had that growing up where they did. I can only go off of what it was. Some guys I watch on film from back in the day that were great clearly didn't have the same athleticism that it would take to be great in today's game whether it be the NFL or the NBA or other sports. They might have been better, but there is always a ceiling for everyone, and a lot of guys just don't have that high of a ceiling in some cases. When you look at the back up players and the 3rd string types of guys from back in the day especially, that's where you can really see the differences. Those guys wouldn't have even sniffed the pros now days.

Vinny
12-01-2011, 01:44 PM
No doubt that some of them would. But when I'm comparing certain guys from the past and certain guys from from today all I can use is what I have. I can't speculate on who would have been great if they had this or had that growing up where they did. I can only go off of what it was. Some guys I watch on film from back in the day that were great clearly didn't have the same athleticism that it would take to be great in today's game whether it be the NFL or the NBA or other sports. They might have been better, but there is always a ceiling for everyone, and a lot of guys just don't have that high of a ceiling in some cases. When you look at the back up players and the 3rd string types of guys from back in the day especially, that's where you can really see the differences. Those guys wouldn't have even sniffed the pros now days.
flip it and it goes both ways too. Don't let the current day players lift weights or do any modern day training or eat high protein meals and you won't have 330 pound guys playing against the Jack Lambert's either.

Texecutioner
12-01-2011, 02:10 PM
flip it and it goes both ways too. Don't let the current day players lift weights or do any modern day training or eat high protein meals and you won't have 330 pound guys playing against the Jack Lambert's either.

I disagree. I think the back ups and the 3rd stringers of today could have done a lot more against the guys in the 60's and the 70's. I think there is a level of athleticism that is greater today, and as I mentioned before we have a much higher population now than what we had back then which creates more competition all around the country. More guys grew up playing football and having to compete against a lot more people than what guys had to back then, so you had to be that much greater of a player at your position because there are a lot more people that you're competing against. There weren't as many kids growing up playing organized football back then like there are now. Today's athletes have a much bigger field of competition to rise to the top amongst.

I don't know if you watch a lot of MMA, but I've been a huge fan of that sport for a long time, and the growth of it has been so crazy just in the last 6 years. You're seeing so many fighters that are so much more advanced in all aspects of the sport. A lot of it has to do with the evolving training methods, the advanced training from masters of every discipline that are training these guys which is similar to what we talked about in football. However, another huge part of that is the fact that so many people now are getting into MMA all over the world and especially in this country to where the competition is literally doubling and multiplying every year with this rapid growth creating a much higher standard to be considered good. Just 8 years ago, some of the guys that would be coming right into big time promotion companies wouldn't stand a chance now days, because the up and comers are that much better because the standard of how good you have to be now days is at a much higher level because there are so many guys competing now days. 8 or 9 years ago some guys could get really good because of superior athleticism and not have to train as hard as some guys in technique, and then you had guys that had such great technique that they could easily out due so many guys with great strength and athleticism. Now days you have to have both and there are no short cuts, because the level of competition has evolved and also increased in numbers tremendously where it will keep raising the bar of how skilled and athletic you have to be in this sport.

Vinny
12-01-2011, 02:18 PM
I disagree. I think the back ups and the 3rd stringers of today could have done a lot more against the guys in the 60's and the 70's. those guys have been using modern training techniques and eating differently too. My argument isn't that you take a fully trained modern athlete and transport him back...my argument is if you take that modern athlete and give him no modern training, he isn't the same bigger faster guy. Works both ways.

Texecutioner
12-01-2011, 02:23 PM
those guys have been using modern training techniques and eating differently too. My argument isn't that you take a fully trained modern athlete and transport him back...my argument is if you take that modern athlete and give him no modern training, he isn't the same bigger faster guy. Works both ways.

I still feel that athletes today are naturally stronger and faster and have more size though. And again, when you're having a much "larger" competition pool to stand out as one of the best against, you're naturally going to be a superior athlete or player in a sport because the standard is higher to be amongst the best.

Vinny
12-01-2011, 02:26 PM
I still feel that athletes today are naturally stronger and faster and have more size though. And again, when you're having a much "larger" competition pool to stand out as one of the best against, you're naturally going to be a superior athlete or player in a sport because the standard is higher to be amongst the best.With proper nutrition and progressive resistance training I can take a 270 pounder and turn him into a 300 pound monster going from HS to the Pros. All those 260-270 pound linemen 40 years ago would be the same 300 pound guys you see today.

You ever see a modern day 300lb+ man walk away from the game today? Unless they get fat, they all shrink down to 250 pound men without all that extra training. Just look at Nate Newton and Chester McGlockton (RIP)
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/443/465/72440665_display_image.jpg?1287023888
http://a.espncdn.com/media/motion/2011/1003/dal_nate_newton_on_cowboys_1003.jpg

http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.3356733.1322680525!/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/display_600/image.JPG
http://www.amazingautographs4all.com/skin1/images/signing_images/chester_McGlockton.JPG

infantrycak
12-01-2011, 02:39 PM
those guys have been using modern training techniques and eating differently too. My argument isn't that you take a fully trained modern athlete and transport him back...my argument is if you take that modern athlete and give him no modern training, he isn't the same bigger faster guy. Works both ways.

Here's an example of your point from back in the day. Ed "Too Tall" Jones was good enough to be picked #1 by the Cowboys. Played real well for a few years, won a SB. Then quit and boxed (where he knocked out a future world champion in the 1st round - can't remember which one) and then returned to football. He was a notably better player when he came back (frankly should be in the HoF) due to the more sophistic/intense training he received in boxing. And nobody will convince me he wasn't athletic enough to play today.

Texecutioner
12-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Here's an example of your point from back in the day. Ed "Too Tall" Jones was good enough to be picked #1 by the Cowboys. Played real well for a few years, won a SB. Then quit and boxed (where he knocked out a future world champion in the 1st round - can't remember which one) and then returned to football. He was a notably better player when he came back (frankly should be in the HoF) due to the more sophistic/intense training he received in boxing. And nobody will convince me he wasn't athletic enough to play today.

Slow your roll there Cak. I never suggested that there weren't freakishly athletic guys back in the day. There have been from every era of course. My point is that there are a lot more today than there were back then. I agree about Ed Too Tall Jones being one of them and a being a guy that could play today at a very high level, but there are more guys like him today than back than, and it's not just because of eating habits of nutrition and training methods. Genetics have continued to evolve in humans in my opinion.

Texecutioner
12-01-2011, 03:31 PM
With proper nutrition and progressive resistance training I can take a 270 pounder and turn him into a 300 pound monster going from HS to the Pros. All those 260-270 pound linemen 40 years ago would be the same 300 pound guys you see today.

You ever see a modern day 300lb+ man walk away from the game today? Unless they get fat, they all shrink down to 250 pound men without all that extra training. Just look at Nate Newton and Chester McGlockton (RIP)
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/443/465/72440665_display_image.jpg?1287023888

http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.3356733.1322680525!/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/display_600/image.JPG
http://www.amazingautographs4all.com/skin1/images/signing_images/chester_McGlockton.JPG

Well, I don't think you could just post those examples and use them as the measuring stick. I've also seen a ton of guys stop playing their sports and get a lot bigger by far. A guy who is getting a lot smaller is obviously changing whatever fitness measures he is doing dramatically or he is not doing anything at all and is simply losing all of his muscle and size because of it. Everyone's body reacts differently when they stop training full time in their fitness regimens. Some people get really fat and blow up everywhere in their body size, some people lose bulky muscle really fast and thin out a lot like myself, and some people may just gain a lot of fat around their stomach and chest area while the rest of their body stays the same. Genetics play a part in that too.

eriadoc
12-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Genetics have continued to evolve in humans in my opinion.

Genetics in humans don't evolve in humans over the course of 50 years, or even 100 years.

Vinny
12-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Well, I don't think you could just post those examples and use them as the measuring stick. I've also seen a ton of guys stop playing their sports and get a lot bigger by far. A guy who is getting a lot smaller is obviously changing whatever fitness measures he is doing dramatically or he is not doing anything at all and is simply losing all of his muscle and size because of it. Everyone's body reacts differently when they stop training full time in their fitness regimens. Some people get really fat and blow up everywhere in their body size, some people lose bulky muscle really fast and thin out a lot like myself, and some people may just gain a lot of fat around their stomach and chest area while the rest of their body stays the same. Genetics play a part in that too.no, they are getting fatter, not "bigger"...well, bigger is fatter too, but not in this context (we are talking muscle mass). Its just impossible to keep the extra muscle mass when you stop working out. Muscles are inherently lazy and will only be as big as you push them outside of your natural set point. I think eriadoc has it spot on concerning genetics in the post above me.

Texan_Bill
12-01-2011, 03:41 PM
With proper nutrition and progressive resistance training I can take a 270 pounder and turn him into a 300 pound monster going from HS to the Pros. All those 260-270 pound linemen 40 years ago would be the same 300 pound guys you see today.

RIP Chester!

infantrycak
12-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Slow your roll there Cak. I never suggested that there weren't freakishly athletic guys back in the day. There have been from every era of course. My point is that there are a lot more today than there were back then. I agree about Ed Too Tall Jones being one of them and a being a guy that could play today at a very high level, but there are more guys like him today than back than, and it's not just because of eating habits of nutrition and training methods. Genetics have continued to evolve in humans in my opinion.

My main point wasn't about athleticism as there is no real way to prove that. The bigger point was Jones was someone from back then who went to an improved over ordinary NFL at the time workout method and came back a superior player. It goes to Vinny's point that if you warped a bunch of those guys to now and used all the current training techniques, etc. they wouldn't look or perform like they did back then. Can you imagine Bob Lilly with modern training?

Playoffs
12-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Anthony Munoz on how the players in his time would handle Suh's kind of play on the field,

"Well, we had two plays we used: one called strike and one called the accordion. You can use your imagination as to what those were."

Playoffs
12-03-2011, 07:53 PM
http://www.kptv.com/story/16180041/nfl-player-involved-in-portland-car-crash

NFL player Suh involved in Portland car crash

http://kptv.images.worldnow.com/images/16180041_BG1.jpg
http://kptv.images.worldnow.com/images/16180041_BG2.jpg

Posted: Dec 03, 2011 11:46 AM CST
Updated: Dec 03, 2011 3:52 PM CST
By FOX 12 Staff - email

PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) -
Portland police are investigating a car crash involving NFL player Ndamukong Suh.

Officers responded to reports of a single-car crash at Southwest Third Street and Burnside Street just after 1 a.m. Saturday morning.

Police say 24-year-old Suh lost control of his 1970s Chevrolet Coupe and hit a curb and a drinking fountain before hitting a tree.

Suh and his two passengers were not hurt in the crash.

Officers say Suh was polite and cooperative. He was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol, police said.

cuppacoffee
12-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Nice sign at the Saints / Lions game Sunday night.

"Life ain't easy for a boy named Suh"

:coffee:

RagingBull
12-05-2011, 10:27 PM

The new Haynesworth

beerlover
12-05-2011, 11:15 PM
The new Haynesworth

not his contract year

Playoffs
12-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Passengers dispute Suh’s account to police

Reuters
Two passengers in Ndamukong Suh’s car at the time of his crash last week dispute the account that Suh gave to police.

The police have amended the police report to reflect the new passenger testimony. Suh told police he lost control of his car while trying to pass a taxicab and no one was hurt. (Suh’s car hit a tree.)

One passenger says there was no cab, one of them was hurt, and Suh was just trying to show off.

“When the light turned green, he floored it,” one woman passenger told KGW 8 in Portland. “I just remember going so fast and it was violent and just getting thrown around like rag dolls.”

That woman says she suffered a black eye and a busted lip which required stitches. Suh told police no one needed to go to the hospital, but the woman said she asked Suh to call for an ambulance and he refused, telling her she was fine.

She eventually left the scene and called her husband, who took her to the hospital. Another passenger that called 9-1-1 verified that Suh seemed to be trying to “show off” with his car.

It’s hard to know what to make of this story. Perhaps there are grounds for a civil suit, but police don’t seem too bothered about it.

“At no point did anyone there tell an officer that he [Suh] was driving out of control,” said Sgt. Pete Simpson said. “The crash doesn’t meet our threshold for investigation which is vulnerable road user, DUI, or serious trauma injury.”

GuerillaBlack
12-06-2011, 12:16 PM

Newton had weight loss surgery tho. Always pimping his doctor on commercials here in DFW.

Playoffs
10-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Lions' Suh accused of sideswiping car, berating driver
Oct 11, 2012 (http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19799596/lions-suh-accused-of-sideswipping-car-berating-driver)

Vines was on his way into work about 6:20 a.m. Thursday when he and other drivers merged on the Rotunda ramp along the southbound Southfield. He said the driver behind him in a black Range Rover sped around him and sideswiped his car. They stopped at the light. Vines got out of his Escort and the other driver, whose taillights were damaged, started yelling.
Vines said the guy left the scene of the accident. He called 911 and watched the man drive into the Lions' practice facility. Dearborn Police told Vines to meet them there, but when he arrived, he said the driver gave him another earful.

"That's when he said, 'I advise you to leave, now.' And I said, 'I'm not going anywhere. I talked to the police.' (He said), 'I don't care what they said. You need to get out of here.' And then he said, 'I'm advising you to leave, now.'"

Vines said he didn't even realize the other driver was none other than Ndamukong Suh...

thunderkyss
10-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Vines was on his way into work about 6:20 a.m. Thursday when he and other drivers merged on the Rotunda ramp along the southbound Southfield. He said the driver behind him in a black Range Rover sped around him and sideswiped his car. They stopped at the light. Vines got out of his Escort and the other driver, whose taillights were damaged, started yelling.Lions' Suh accused of sideswiping car, berating driver
Oct 11, 2012 (http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19799596/lions-suh-accused-of-sideswipping-car-berating-driver)

Do people still drive Escorts?

:vincepalm:

welsh texan
10-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Do people still drive Escorts?

:vincepalm:

Don't get me wrong, I agree to an extent, but the article doesn't state what model it was, could be an RS Cossie in which case you're talking about one of the greatest cars ever made...

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKmejgw9YLPU_z01npyvjAsDHrz0nou 734OvG64YAKbsO083hinw

A good example would go for about £20k over here, which for a 20 year old car is quite something.

I've seen Suh in interviews with UK tv promoting the international series and he always seems like a decent bloke. Always struck me as one of those dual personality type sportsmen who's a thug on the field and soft as anything off.

Surprised to read such reports of him tbh.

Playoffs
11-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Anger management issues? I think we're seeing a pattern.
FOX 2 in Detroit is reporting that Suh was ticketed in Lathrup Village, Michigan, on November 15 for failure to use due care and caution. That is at least Suh’s fourth traffic incident within the past year: A month earlier Suh and another driver both said they were sideswiped by each other. In March, Suh was ticketed for driving 91 miles per hour in a 55 mph zone. A year ago, while Suh was serving his suspension for his infamous Thanksgiving stomp of Packers offensive lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith, he was ticketed for an accident in which he drove into a tree in Portland, Oregon.

Suh’s bad driving goes back to his college days at Nebraska: He was cited for negligent driving in college when he sideswiped several parked cars in an incident that he said was caused by swerving to avoid hitting an animal.
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20190561/traffic-ticket-lions-suh-received-in-lathrup-village-under-review

Specnatz
11-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans

RT @davebirkett Ndamukogn Suh was fined $30,000 for his kick on Schaub