PDA

View Full Version : Schefter, Colts will take Andrew Luck with the No. 1 overall pick no matter what

srrono
11-29-2011, 10:02 AM
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Colts will take Andrew Luck with the No. 1 overall pick no matter what: http://bit.ly/r8tmSD
3 minutes ago

Dutchrudder
11-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Unless he stays in college...

ziggy29
11-29-2011, 10:11 AM
And given the Colts' history with intending to draft a Stanford QB with their first overall pick...

IDEXAN
11-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Where does it say that the Colts would take Luck if they have the top pick to do so ?

Vinny
11-29-2011, 10:38 AM
And given the Colts' history with intending to draft a Stanford QB with their first overall pick...Colts wanted Elway, but he was also a baseball player and said he would not play for the Colts. That wasn't he Colts decision.

Rey
11-29-2011, 10:45 AM
The more I watch of Luck, the less impressed I am...

He's still a great looking prospect, but I just don't see the superman in Stanford football gear stuff...

IDEXAN
11-29-2011, 10:59 AM

He's still a great looking prospect, but I just don't see the superman in Stanford football gear stuff...
He's really not.
I heard Mike Mayoc on Romes radio show yesterday and he compared Luck to
ATLs Matt Ryan, a young QB with an above average arm and very strong "intangibles". Mayoc said Luck could be an All-Pro QB, but no way is he the prospect of his generation at QB.
I watched the USC/Stanford game on TV and was really more impressed with the USC QB who clearly had a better arm.

Vinny
11-29-2011, 11:53 AM

He's still a great looking prospect, but I just don't see the superman in Stanford football gear stuff...Luck looked better under Harbaugh imo. After last season the "conventional thinking" was that Harbaugh looked good because of Luck. I think it may be the other way around after watching Alex Smith this season. He still blows, but he makes some plays now.

Playoffs
11-29-2011, 12:04 PM
This is news?

WhoDey14
11-29-2011, 12:05 PM
What would Manning do if he returns?

Vinny
11-29-2011, 12:08 PM
What would Manning do if he returns?
play.

WhoDey14
11-29-2011, 12:09 PM
play.SO would they just have Luck then as second string and get him prepared for when Manning retires? :thinking:

Vinny
11-29-2011, 12:32 PM
SO would they just have Luck then as second string and get him prepared for when Manning retires? :thinking:
well, I think they trade Manning if they select Luck. Manning will play if he is capable. somewhere. :tiphat:

Hookem Horns
11-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Colts wanted Elway, but he was also a baseball player and said he would not play for the Colts. That wasn't he Colts decision.

I think that is what he meant. Luck might stay in college to avoid playing for them.

I remember Elway saying he didn't want to play for a cold weather team (Colts were in Baltimore) and then looked like horses ass by going to tropical Denver.

BIG TORO
11-29-2011, 12:58 PM
I hope and they do get Luck and they keep Manning that way they have less money to spread around the rest of an already depleated team.

infantrycak
11-29-2011, 02:16 PM
well, I think they trade Manning if they select Luck. Manning will play if he is capable. somewhere. :tiphat:

The Colts are in a tough spot on a trade. Manning is due a $28 mil bonus March 4th. I would think any team would substantially lower their offer to take on responsibility for that bonus for a player who might Boselli them. If the Colts pay the bonus sure the compensation should be higher but what does $28 mil buy you in picks? There may have to be a Manning channel for this drama.

Double Barrel
11-29-2011, 04:29 PM

I think he'd look great in a Texans uni!

A man can dream, can't he?... :thinking:

Stemp
11-29-2011, 04:36 PM
No way do they trade Manning. If he's not good to go, they'll get him to retire and give him a front office or asst coaching job.

FWIW, I don't believe anyone has successfully come back from the type of injury/surgery that Manning had, so I think we've seen the last of Peyton lined up against us.

GP
11-29-2011, 04:39 PM
I am shocked that the Colts are saying they intend to draft Andrew Luck.

I mean, this is out of nowhere!

You guys don't think they were tanking the season or anything do you? Surely not.

Vinny
11-29-2011, 04:49 PM
I am shocked that the Colts are saying they intend to draft Andrew Luck.

I mean, this is out of nowhere!

You guys don't think they were tanking the season or anything do you? Surely not.NFL players don't tank. It's just a stupid concept. The way they get paid is tied to how they perform on film. No player will water down his worth, the value of his next contract, or his legacy in the league just so a franchise can get a better draft pick.

TexanSam
11-29-2011, 07:35 PM
I think he'd look great in a Texans uni!

A man can dream, can't he?... :thinking:

My thoughts on this as well lol. He's got to have a couple good years left in him if he can recover from this injury.

gg no re
11-29-2011, 07:44 PM
NFL players don't tank. It's just a stupid concept. The way they get paid is tied to how they perform on film. No player will water down his worth, the value of his next contract, or his legacy in the league just so a franchise can get a better draft pick.

Makes sense.

For a while, I was concerned that no one told Kris Brown to stop tanking after we got the no. 1 pick in 2006. I guess it's a relief that he just wasn't performing well.

GP
11-30-2011, 02:41 AM
NFL players don't tank. It's just a stupid concept. The way they get paid is tied to how they perform on film. No player will water down his worth, the value of his next contract, or his legacy in the league just so a franchise can get a better draft pick.

Tanking, laying down, not giving as big of an effort as you used to when you had #18, makes no difference what we call it. It's taking an easy out, pure and simple, just because you don't have Superman #18 anymore.

It's like the rich boy whose parents died, and he finds out he's been completely cut out of the will. What's his zeal for life going to be now, now that he has to get a job or find ways to scrape money up?

For 10 years, every single member of that organization...and all its fans, too...had virtually no worries as long as #18 took the field for their beloved team. Where's their zeal for life THIS year? Answer: Wrapped up in knowing they get a crack at Andrew Luck and a return to glory.

Hey, if we win a Super Bowl and somehow contend every year for 10 years onward from today....then I, too, will probably become like the Colts fans and actually be GLAD that we "tanked" a season so we could maybe get the draft's best player at the most needed position that just happened to be what gave us those 10 years of contention in the first place.

Maybe they're just finding some form of solitude or acceptance by saying "At least we get a shot at Andrew Luck!" but regardless there's no REAL effort by anybody in that Colts organization to adapt and overcome the loss of #18. Their answer is "Maybe we can get Andrew Luck!"

What else can we call that? Is this merely Colts and Colts fans wishing upon a star? They're so messed up for having not planned BEFORE now, before Superman #18 went down, that we're to believe they're realllllllly giving it a 100% effort for a lost 2011 season right now? LOL. Yeah, there's a lot to be gained for that whole organization to try and squeak out a few wins that mean nothing to them now.

No, there's a mindset and an overall "Poor, poor, pitiful us!" attitude that IS the very essence of tanking, laying down, sandbagging it, holding back, etc.

Joe Texan
11-30-2011, 08:38 AM
Tanking is cheating just saying

paycheck71
11-30-2011, 11:15 AM
We're talking about the most competitive of the most competitive people on earth. From middle school to high school to college, they were the best among their peers at football. Those are the ones that make it to this level. I don't think it's in their DNA to not want to win. So, I think, intentionally tanking or throwing games is out of the question.

That said, the Colts players can be dejected and down because they realize how bad their team is. They may not necessarily "love their job" right now because losing isn't fun. So, some of them may be treating it just as that, a job they don't like, which is contributing to their futility.

GP
11-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Tanking is cheating just saying

We're talking about the most competitive of the most competitive people on earth. From middle school to high school to college, they were the best among their peers at football. Those are the ones that make it to this level. I don't think it's in their DNA to not want to win. So, I think, intentionally tanking or throwing games is out of the question.

That said, the Colts players can be dejected and down because they realize how bad their team is. They may not necessarily "love their job" right now because losing isn't fun. So, some of them may be treating it just as that, a job they don't like, which is contributing to their futility.

Agree with both of these posts.

I'm using the word "tanking" because ultimately the Colts, from top to bottom, know that they're doomed and they're therefore not even making as big of an effort as they normally have the past 10 years.

They're all on cruise control right now. The Colts offense went the ENTIRE month of November and scored ONE offensive touchdown the whole month.

Folks, you have to be pretty disconnected to go a whole month and score one touchdown and have it come at the very end of the month. To me, whether it's on purpose or not is not the issue. They lost #18, they gave an honest effort to begin the season.......then they just stopped giving a crap altogether. Tanking is tanking.

Double Barrel
11-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Bring on Luck! Our defense will get to break him in. Maybe they can teach him David Carr's patent-pending happy feet dance! Then he can grow up to wear mittens... :evil:

Playoffs
11-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Moot point, but he'd look better in our system than in Peyton's.

Dutchrudder
11-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Moot point, but he'd look better in our system than in Peyton's.

Peyton would look better in our system than Indy's... :kitten:

gary
12-01-2011, 12:59 PM
I hope Manning does play again and if he does he turns Indy into a contender once again he was their team.

Vinny
12-01-2011, 01:03 PM
I hope Manning does play again and if he does he turns Indy into a contender once again he was their team.
huh? Did Jim Irsay hack your computer?

gary
12-01-2011, 01:21 PM
huh? Did Jim Irsay hack your computer?If Manning does play again then all it would take is a good offseason or two to give him what he needs to compete again. Would you not take a healthy Manning over a healthy Schaub? I know I would and I really like Matt too.

texanway
12-01-2011, 01:32 PM

There is absolutely no shot he stays at Stanford. His draft stock has never been higher and he's probably the biggest sure fire #1 pick in history. He needs to leave before he gets hurt. Jake Locker was supposed to go #1 and then went back to college and feel deep into the draft. It can happen to anyone, especially if Luck regresses.

Vinny
12-01-2011, 01:36 PM
If Manning does play again then all it would take is a good offseason or two to give him what he needs to compete again. Would you not take a healthy Manning over a healthy Schaub? I know I would and I really like Matt too. Next year he will be 36. No matter how you slice it, he doesn't have much time left on the field. I'm all for calling it a career and sending him to the booth. Basically I'm really ready for the Manning era to end if you want the trufs. :fingergun:

Texecutioner
12-01-2011, 01:47 PM

Really?? YOu think they'd trade Manning?? No way that happens man. They'd be crazy not to draft Luck for the future, but they'll play Manning for sure for at least 2 years if Manning is healthy. Without a big injury to Manning, I think he could have another 3 years of great play possibly, because he has never relied on his athleticism to be a great QB. I'd let Luck sit and learn from one of the greatest.

gary
12-01-2011, 04:12 PM
I am not ready to see Manning retire yet and I think he still could win another ring.

thunderkyss
12-01-2011, 04:18 PM
I think that is what he meant. Luck might stay in college to avoid playing for them.

I remember Elway saying he didn't want to play for a cold weather team (Colts were in Baltimore) and then looked like horses ass by going to tropical Denver.

Well he couldn't say Baltimore sucks.... it's kinda like coach-speak

infantrycak
12-02-2011, 11:15 AM
We're happy for Peyton Manning. Of course we are. The Thursday night news that his neck is healing, that he has a chance to play football again, is an undeniably wonderful development for a guy who has given heart and soul to this franchise and this city.

And yet, as far as the Indianapolis Colts are concerned, it shouldn't really matter.

Whether Manning heals completely or not, whether he returns to practice this month or not, bringing him back next year and beyond would be salary cap suicide and set the franchise back for years to come. It makes no sense, none, to mortgage the team's long-term future and retard Andrew Luck's progress while gambling on Manning's health and longevity.

Link (http://www.indystar.com/article/20111202/SPORTS03/112020320/QB-combo-cannot-work-here-Colts-must-look-future)

Rey
12-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Link (http://www.indystar.com/article/20111202/SPORTS03/112020320/QB-combo-cannot-work-here-Colts-must-look-future)

I don't see them drafting Luck and keeping Manning.

Nawzer
12-02-2011, 11:22 AM
I don't think the Colts would ever trade Manning and I don't think they'll draft Luck either. They'll draft a QB, but it won't be Luck. Manning will play for another couple of years (maybe more if he can stay healthy) and the Colts will groom his replacement like the Packers did with Aaron Rodgers.

Hervoyel
12-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Bring on Luck! Our defense will get to break him in. Maybe they can teach him David Carr's patent-pending happy feet dance! Then he can grow up to wear mittens... :evil:

This. Forever This.

Feed our defense a steady diet of rookie QB mistakes and watch them bring the ruckus. I would dearly love to see them break in a rookie QB with a horse shoe on his helmet

Hervoyel
12-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Next year he will be 36. No matter how you slice it, he doesn't have much time left on the field. I'm all for calling it a career and sending him to the booth. Basically I'm really ready for the Manning era to end if you want the trufs. :fingergun:

Me too but honestly, in a way it will never end for us. Texans defenses are going to feature prominently in Manning-era highlights forever. We'll be seeing footage of Foreman and Greenwood, Buchanon and Faggins failing miserably every time a career retrospective on Peyton Manning comes on. It will be like how you always know Houston/Buffalo is going to be at or near the top of so many "Greatest Moments" countdowns.

In every NFL highlight there's someone else on the screen who got beat. For much of Manning's career that's been a guy wearing a Houston Texans uniform unfortunately.

beerlover
12-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Barkley will be a better NFL QB than Luck, IMO. He also plays a style much closer to Manning. I could see them trading the #1 pick for a butt load of picks just to move down a few spots then take Barkley. This in my view would be far worse news for :logo:

drs23
12-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Barkley will be a better NFL QB than Luck, IMO. He also plays a style much closer to Manning. I could see them trading the #1 pick for a butt load of picks just to move down a few spots then take Barkley. This in my view would be far worse news for :logo:

:homer: Says "bring 'em on" Don't care who it is. The Texans D will shut 'em down. Welcome to the AFC South ___________.

Go Texans! :fans: