PDA

View Full Version : Garcia, DelHomme workouts scheduled

Mr. White
11-28-2011, 09:55 PM
...for tomorrow, from McClain's Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/McClain_on_NFL).

Texans will work out Jake Delhomme and Jeff Garcia on Tuesday. They are expected to sign one of them to back up rookie T.J. Yates.

redwhiteANDblue
11-28-2011, 09:58 PM
They both suck. I'd take delhomme only because he's probably still in nfl football shape.

Just wondering but isn't Chad Pennington out there?

badboy
11-28-2011, 10:00 PM
For some reason I can see Garcia with a voodoo doll in a Texans uniform with QB on jersey.

Nawzer
11-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Jake Delhomme will still probably throw a million interceptions even if he's only standing on the sidelines.

11-28-2011, 10:10 PM
i'd rather either of these two guys (preferably garcia) than brodie croyle, whom i assume we're not signing after all... whew!

ChampionTexan
11-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Wouldn't have a problem with Garcia. He's younger than Favre, and started an NFL game more recently than Rosenfels has even taken a regular season snap.

MEGA SWATT
11-28-2011, 10:35 PM
sucktastic choices here.

TexanSam
11-28-2011, 10:39 PM
:overreact:

Although I don't think it's an overreaction.

:(

digitalswim
11-28-2011, 10:41 PM
I'll suit up before signing Delhomme. That guy is total garbage.

disaacks3
11-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Wouldn't have a problem with Garcia. He's younger than Favre, and started an NFL game more recently than Rosenfels has even taken a regular season snap. Vandermeer was whining about it this morning, I guess he forgot how long it has been since Leinart started.

Dishman
11-28-2011, 10:45 PM

I'm guessing you got the checkdown covered. How is your naked bootleg? No, we don't want to see pics of it either.

TexanFan881
11-28-2011, 10:50 PM
I like Jake Delhomme, for whats out there.

But I just looked at Jeff Garcia's stats...
http://www.nfl.com/player/jeffgarcia/2500758/profile

Wow. I'm impressed. Now hoping for Garcia.

Shaft75
11-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Garcia would probably sell some jerseys off the bat in the Houston area. Hell maybe I might buy some for the residual value alone. Should sell better at my garage sales than the Carr/Sharper/Glenn/Robinson/Pollard jerseys.

TexansFanatic
11-28-2011, 10:51 PM

Couldn't agree more.

srrono
11-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Garcia does bring that close relationship with Owens oh yeah nevermind lol

Corrosion
11-28-2011, 11:19 PM
They both suck. I'd take delhomme only because he's probably still in nfl football shape.

Just wondering but isn't Chad Pennington out there?

Garcia was playing in the United Football League for the Omaha Nighthawks in 2010. He's likely still in shape ....

i'd rather either of these two guys (preferably garcia) than brodie croyle, whom i assume we're not signing after all... whew!

Im with ya there , Croyle never impressed me at all .... I'd rather have a drunk :texanbill: at QB than him.

kiwitexansfan
11-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Not Delhomme please.

Garcia can make the bootleg work.

False Start
11-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Well, hell... this is like choosing between crap, or better smelling crap. :choke:

kiwitexansfan
11-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Don't forget we are bringing this guy in to back up Yates AND Clemens, surely?

Corrosion
11-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Don't forget we are bringing this guy in to back up Yates AND Clemens, surely?

Yates for sure ..... but I'd wager that if its Garcia he's ahead of Clemens on the depth chart and that wouldnt bother me a bit.

srrono
11-28-2011, 11:27 PM
Yates for sure ..... but I'd wager that if its Garcia he's ahead of Clemens on the depth chart and that wouldnt bother me a bit.

If yates stinks it up 1 of these vets will be the strater not clemens.

Vinnie
11-28-2011, 11:33 PM
If yates stinks it up 1 of these vets will be the strater not clemens.

I'm chugging this beer to Yates not stinking it up!

:beerfunnel:

NitroGSXR
11-28-2011, 11:46 PM

Why? Garcia and Clemens tried out on the same day. We signed Clemens and sent Garcia packing.

TexansFanatic
11-28-2011, 11:47 PM

Clemens was always meant to be third string.

Tomorrow's audition is for a second stringer who can take over without much preparation for Yates if he starts to stink it up.

Playoffs
11-29-2011, 12:04 AM
Clemens was always meant to be third string.

Tomorrow's audition is for a second stringer who can take over without much preparation for Yates if he starts to stink it up.So we signed the third string QB first .....

and now we're going to sign a better qualified backup QB? http://star.walagata.com/w/blue-jay/SmiliesGifs/ScratchHead.gif

Rey
11-29-2011, 12:31 AM
So we signed the third string QB first .....

and now we're going to sign a better qualified backup QB? http://star.walagata.com/w/blue-jay/SmiliesGifs/ScratchHead.gif

Doesn't make a lot of sense does it.

TexansFanatic
11-29-2011, 12:38 AM
So we signed the third string QB first .....

The thinking, as far as I can tell, was/is as follows:

Schaub went down and the best qualified player to take his spot was Leinart.

The best qualified player to take the second string spot, recently left vacant by Leinart's ascension to the starting spot, was TJ Yates.

Then Leinart goes down.

Now the most qualified starter is not necessarily TJ Yates but he's all they've got for the moment. Yates is untested as a second stringer, and even less so as a starter, so he gets to take the reins as the starter but he has a very short leash.

Now they have to go out and find an old wily veteran who can easily take the second spot who is also capable of taking the reins as the starter if Yates starts to falter.

So Clemens was always going to be the scout team guy and there he stays.

I think it's possible Garcia wasn't offered a contract last week because the coaches and front office may have thought it would be an insult to him to offer him the third string spot.

GP
11-29-2011, 01:11 AM
Highlights of Garcia from the Giants-49ers playoff game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JX9pVLYHu4). Incredible comeback.

Garcia hitting a WR on a slant (with the Omaha Nighthawks last season)
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjLFx3WX3rw)

Garcia hitting a WR in the back corner of end zone, on 4th and 3, to win the game (Nighthawks game). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=lFNquj0rhO0)

TexansFanatic
11-29-2011, 01:25 AM
Highlights of Garcia from the Giants-49ers playoff game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JX9pVLYHu4). Incredible comeback.

Always hated T.O. but, Jesus, what a freaking beast.

SAMURAITEXAN
11-29-2011, 01:38 AM
Garcia hitting a WR in the back corner of end zone, on 4th and 3, to win the game (Nighthawks game). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=lFNquj0rhO0)[/QUOTE]

Some of UFL players are aged or a little out of shape but the most out of shaped people are those cheerleaders. One of Nighthawks cheerleader's tummy is really hanging. Just a thought.

Go Texans!!!

El Tejano
11-29-2011, 09:02 AM
I heard Pat Kirwain on Sirius saying that Garcia is in the best shape of his life. He also mentioned that you go after Garcia because of his positive locker room presence, and because of the fact that he's played in some big games over his career.

Hardcore Texan
11-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Daylight come and you gotta DelHomme. Except I hope we take Garcia. :worldpeace:

NitroGSXR
11-29-2011, 09:53 AM
TJ Yates for President!!!

Hervoyel
11-29-2011, 09:59 AM
These guys are just potential backups. If whoever they sign sees the field in anything other than mop-up duty then our season is over anyway. Hell it's hanging on by a single thread as it is.

Nothing left but guys like this. Might as well get used to it.

CloakNNNdagger
11-29-2011, 10:07 AM
ESPN's Paul Kuharsky reports (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7293772/houston-texans-try-retired-jake-delhomme-source-says):

Delhomme is deciding whether the Houston opportunity is tempting enough to come back to the NFL, the source said. The source said the Texans intend to sign one of the two quarterbacks after Tuesday's workout.

Kimmy
11-29-2011, 10:08 AM
These guys are just potential backups. If whoever they sign sees the field in anything other than mop-up duty then our season is over anyway. Hell it's hanging on by a single thread as it is.

Nothing left but guys like this. Might as well get used to it.

Which is why we need to draft a QB and reciever in the draft, possibly even trading up. We have to get prepared for a post Schaub/AJ era.

ziggy29
11-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Which is why we need to draft a QB and reciever in the draft, possibly even trading up. We have to get prepared for a post Schaub/AJ era.
Seems premature unless we find out Yates isn't "it" in the next few weeks. If Yates does well enough to be given consideration for "QB of the future," would they throw high pick at a QB?

NitroGSXR
11-29-2011, 10:15 AM

I think Yates will be fine. After watching some of his other videos... he looks like a bonafide NFL QB.

Hervoyel
11-29-2011, 10:16 AM

Seems premature unless we find out Yates isn't "it" in the next few weeks. If Yates does well enough to be given consideration for "QB of the future," would they throw high pick at a QB?

Even if Yates goes full-on Tom Brady on us we still need to look for a young WR to pair with and eventually succeed AJ though. If the results from Yates are even just "inconclusive" then we need to keep an eye on potential QB's next draft. If one falls to us we should grab him like we would a TE.

ziggy29
11-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Even if Yates goes full-on Tom Brady on us we still need to look for a young WR to pair with and eventually succeed AJ though. If the results from Yates are even just "inconclusive" then we need to keep an eye on potential QB's next draft. If one falls to us we should grab him like we would a TE.
Sure, agreed completely about WR. But if Yates does quite well here I don't think I go high up the draft ladder for a QB. That's all I was saying. If he doesn't play well (which I don't want to think about), yeah, you rethink a QB in the first few rounds.

Seņor Stan
11-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Which is why we need to draft a Right Tackle in the draft, possibly even trading up. We have to get prepared for a post Eric Winston era.

Fixed it for you!

PHAROAH
11-29-2011, 03:24 PM
I would take Daunte Culpepper over both of them he is in football shape he was with the UFL's Sacramento Mountain Lions in 2010 and with Detroit in 2008-2009 so he would be my choice but it none of you guys would consider it even though the other guys are far worse.

Grams
11-29-2011, 04:08 PM
I would take Daunte Culpepper over both of them he is in football shape he was with the UFL's Sacramento Mountain Lions in 2010 and with Detroit in 2008-2009 so he would be my choice but it none of you guys would consider it even though the other guys are far worse.

There aren't too many worse than Culpepper. He has been bad since he injured his knee. Delhomme is about as bad also - oh and he is white.

El Tejano
11-29-2011, 04:21 PM

I agree. Noone is saying replace them but get ready to keep the machine going. AJ misses alot of games. What is this, his 3rd straight year of missing games due to injury? We did good without him but we aren't going to get further with Kevin Walter and Jacoby forever.

Matt Schaub, would only have about two more years to get us to the big game even if he made it to the playoffs with us this year.

I think our defense has enough depth for once that we can go offense.

Stemp
11-29-2011, 04:23 PM
I agree. Noone is saying replace them but get ready to keep the machine going. AJ misses alot of games. What is this, his 3rd straight year of missing games due to injury? We did good without him but we aren't going to get further with Kevin Walter and Jacoby forever.

Matt Schaub, would only have about two more years to get us to the big game even if he made it to the playoffs with us this year.

I think our defense has enough depth for once that we can go offense.

Can you get a franchise QB or WR with the 32nd pick in the draft? :texflag:

BIG TORO
11-29-2011, 04:33 PM

Rep! See what you did there Nice!

Ryan
11-29-2011, 04:35 PM
I still think there's something going on with this QB situation. I find it strange that they haven't signed anyone yet.

El Tejano
11-29-2011, 04:36 PM

Don't need them to be if you are picking #32 and hopefully that's the case for us.

GP
11-29-2011, 04:37 PM
I still think there's something going on with this QB situation. I find it strange that they haven't signed anyone yet.

I'm telling you guys...Kubiak said he would not rule out anyone and not confirm anyone.

There are more possibilities than Garcia-Delhomme. For all we know, Garcia and Delhomme were merely scheduled to try and PUSH another player's agent (or a controlling interest) into being more reasonable.

It's business.

EDIT: Literally 2 minutes after I posted this........Texans sign Jake Delhomme. FML. Barf.

Naiirb
11-29-2011, 04:39 PM
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Former Panthers and Browns QB Jake Delhomme reached agreement with the Houston Texans.