PDA

View Full Version : Peter King: Leinart injury takes air out of Texans' lofty playoff hopes

Playoffs
11-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Gary Kubiak's voice sounded defeated, deflated on the phone from Jacksonville...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/11/27/week.12/index.html

Now is not the time for Kubes to be all down in the mouth about his team's circumstance. Now is not the time for Gary's trademark low-affect, low-volume vocals. Now is not the time to look back at our losses.

It's time for Gary to stand up and lead. It's time for Gary to raise his voice in determined anger to instruct his team that great men are judged by how they respond to challenges -- that the mettle of a man is found in how many times he gets up off the floor after being knocked down.

To the great are given great tasks. Now is Coach Kubiak's time to be great ... to lead, to challenge his charges.

C'mon Coach, are you up to it???

http://www.gifs.net/Animation11/Animals/Barn_Animals/Angry%20bull%202.gif

redwhiteANDblue
11-28-2011, 02:50 PM
This is where we'll see if Kubiak has it or not. No matter how bad the players are on the field, his job is to keep them playing hard. Motivation and confidence is all this team needs right now. Kubiak in the past has shown us that he doesn't have it but who knows what he will do now.

ObsiWan
11-28-2011, 02:53 PM
No magician's hat holds an infinite supply of rabbits.

A Genie only gives out three wishes

sooner or later ya just flat run outta luck

phantom17
11-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Gary Kubiak's voice sounded defeated, deflated on the phone from Jacksonville...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/11/27/week.12/index.html

Now is not the time for Kubes to be all down in the mouth about his team's circumstance. Now is not the time for Gary's trademark low-affect, low-volume vocals. Now is not the time to look back at our losses.

It's time for Gary to stand up and lead. It's time for Gary to raise his voice in determined anger to instruct his team that great men are judged by how they respond to challenges -- that the mettle of a man is found in how many times he gets up off the floor after being knocked down.

To the great are given great tasks. Now is Coach Kubiak's time to be great ... to lead, to challenge his charges.

C'mon Coach, are you up to it???

http://www.gifs.net/Animation11/Animals/Barn_Animals/Angry%20bull%202.gif

Coach Kubiak needs to yell at his players- "SPARTA" like in 300!:texflag:

ChrisG
11-28-2011, 02:59 PM
im actually not anymore worried than I was this Saturday. Leinart really disappointed me with his constant check downs. Also his only TD pass was anything but perfect.

Im really looking forward to see what Yates can do. Ideally I would have liked to see him step in about 3-4 years from now but....

I never was fully sold on Leinart. Based on how Yates looked in the pocket I think we will be fine. Wont make as deep of a playoff run as we would have had with Schaub, but I think first round bye is still an option. Unless Yates comes in and does something crazy bad we will make the playoffs. :texflag:

ObsiWan
11-28-2011, 03:12 PM
ummm.... didn't all those dudes die?
:thinking:

wolf123
11-28-2011, 03:14 PM
ummm.... didn't all those dudes die?
:thinking:

No, the one guy with the hurt eye survived!!

:texflag:

Corrosion
11-28-2011, 03:26 PM
This is where we'll see if Kubiak has it or not. No matter how bad the players are on the field, his job is to keep them playing hard. Motivation and confidence is all this team needs right now. Kubiak in the past has shown us that he doesn't have it but who knows what he will do now.

You are wrong there - How many times has this team had a mid-season losing streak followed by the team making a push in December .... even if it was too little too late.

ObsiWan
11-28-2011, 03:32 PM
You are wrong there - How many times has this team had a mid-season losing streak followed by the team making a push in December .... even if it was too little too late.

Speaking of monthly performance, wasn't Kubiak supposed to go into some kind of November swoon?

What happened with that?

GP
11-28-2011, 03:36 PM
I'd be a little dejected, too, if I were Kubiak. He probably wonders what he did to deserve getting shat upon even when he's finally got the goods to go all the way now.

Sucks.

It reminds of the scene in Land of The Lost (Farrell & McBride) when they finally track down and regain the device they need to get back home........

And then THIS bit of absurdity happens (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53OErTFoO4g). Sums it up perfectly.

Hervoyel
11-28-2011, 03:50 PM

They don't need him to do that. The Texans have this guy

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/CushingBattleRedSmall.jpg

TimeKiller
11-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Well idk how lofty we were talkin about with Leinart.....but judging a man's tone of voice over the phone is about a pitiful excuse for journalism.

Playoffs
11-28-2011, 03:57 PM
No magician's hat holds an infinite supply of rabbits.
A Genie only gives out three wishes
sooner or later ya just flat run outta luckBring that into your locker-room and losses come with it, imo.

Paul Kuharsky's What they should be thinking... (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/31098/what-i-think-theyre-thinking-or-should-be-6)

Houston Texans

We’re the No. 1 seed in the AFC today, and no one knows who our new quarterback, rookie T.J. Yates is. That’s not our concern. They probably don’t know who Connor Barwin is either, but he had four sacks in our win in Jacksonville. Having people who are known is not a worry, winning is. We’re in position to go win this division and be in the playoff field. We have enough to do it with if we just plan smart, play smart and call a smart game without over-thinking things. Atlanta is the best team we will face in a while, but if the Falcons provide a bump in the road, it won’t mark the start of some unraveling, it’ll just be a bump in the road.

For crying out loud, Rex Grossman went to the Super Bowl.

Boris
11-28-2011, 04:07 PM
No, the one guy with the hurt eye survived!!

:texflag:

He survived only to be killed by his fellow Spartans for leaving the battle.

Ranger Tom
11-28-2011, 06:04 PM

Not in the movie version, at least!

TexanSam
11-28-2011, 06:08 PM
I think our D plays even more lights out now. People are going to start writing off the Texans and our D will want to prove them wrong.

PLEASE just let Yates be halfway decent.

ziggy29
11-28-2011, 06:13 PM
As far as the post-game remarks by Kubes, the one thing I didn't like was his criticism about the lack of effectiveness of the running game in the second half.

Dude, as much as their team mostly sucks overall, Jax has a pretty good defense... and it was YOUR play calling that let all 11 of their players put a bullseye on #23. That's as much on Foster, Yates or the O-line as it is on the coaches. Now maybe that play calling was justified under the circumstances, figuring your defense had a better chance to win the game for you than Yates had... but your play calling, justified or not, is what allowed the Jax defense to eat up Foster for the entire second half. An NFL defense, especially a pretty good one, can stop almost anyone if they know what's going to be called.

Calling out your running game there was bush league, IMO. If I'm someone's boss and I set them up to fail, I'm not going to humiliate them in public for failing. It's more on me than on them.

As for Yates, he doesn't even have to be real good -- just decent at passing and decision-making, and trusted enough to open up the running game and let the defense rest a bit.

gtexan02
11-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Our ship sailed the minute Schaub broke his foot. Leinart wasn't going to win a superbowl, and neither is Yates. We'll probably make the playoffs, but do you really think either one of those guys had a chance against a Packers defense?

ziggy29
11-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Our ship sailed the minute Schaub broke his foot. Leinart wasn't going to win a superbowl, and neither is Yates. We'll probably make the playoffs, but do you really think either one of those guys had a chance against a Packers defense?

Maybe, maybe not. But in reality, what I think we're experiencing this year is almost a 180 from years past. In the past, the Texans seemed to find ways to regularly lose games they should have won. This year, they are finding ways to *win* despite all the injuries which have made many lose hope for the year.

AJ, Mario, Manning, Schaub, Leinart... the list goes on. Each one feels like a mortal blow, but since that's happened, the Texans have done nothing but *win*. So yeah, this feels like a cursed or snakebit team, but it's at least one that finds ways to win rather than ways to lose. I'll worry about the playoffs when the time comes. Now my concern is Atlanta, then Cincy, and so forth until the playoffs (and hopefully the division) are clinched. THEN I will start pondering playoffs.

Buffi2
11-28-2011, 06:26 PM
According to Kubes at his afternoon presser, "I am not down. This team is not down. I want the fans and the city of Houston to know that."

He said this was just a challenge and life was full of challenges. He sounded pretty determined to me. I think they are going to give it everything they have and you can't ask for any more than that.

I'm worried but I think that Yates is certainly no worse than Leinart. I watched the game again this afternoon and L's check downs were very obvious.

Boris
11-28-2011, 06:29 PM

Oops....they didn't kill him

Aristodemus was a Spartan warrior, one of the many sent to the Battle of Thermopylae. He was one of only two Spartan survivors, as he was not present at the last stand. Along with a comrade, Eurytus, Aristodemus was stricken with an eye infection, causing King Leonidas to order the two to return home before the battle, but Eurytus turned back, though blind, and met his end charging into the fray.

The Greek historian Herodotus believed that had both Aristodemus and Eurytus returned alive, or had Aristodemus alone been ill and excused from combat, the Spartans would have ascribed no blame to Aristodemus. However, because Eurytus did turn back and died in combat, Aristodemus was regarded as a coward and subjected to humiliation and disgrace at the hands of his compatriots; in the words of Herodotus, "no man would give him a light for his fire or speak to him; he was called Aristodemus the Coward."

The other survivor of the Three Hundred was a man named Pantites, who had been sent by Leonidas on an embassy to Thessaly. He failed to return to Thermopylae in time for the battle, and on finding himself in disgrace in Sparta, hanged himself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristodemus_of_Sparta

Corrosion
11-28-2011, 07:25 PM
According to Kubes at his afternoon presser, "I am not down. This team is not down. I want the fans and the city of Houston to know that."

He said this was just a challenge and life was full of challenges. He sounded pretty determined to me. I think they are going to give it everything they have and you can't ask for any more than that.

I'm worried but I think that Yates is certainly no worse than Leinart. I watched the game again this afternoon and L's check downs were very obvious.

For anyone who knows Gary or has watched this team since he took it over , that shouldnt come as a surprise. (Just look at the teams December record).

I just hope he doesnt go to vanilla with Yates at QB - becoming predictable or one dimensional.

drs23
11-28-2011, 07:45 PM
For anyone who knows Gary or has watched this team since he took it over , that shouldnt come as a surprise. (Just look at the teams December record).

I just hope he doesnt go to vanilla with Yates at QB - becoming predictable or one dimensional.

I REALLY don't think we've got to worry about this. I see Yates having access to as much of the playbook as Matt L had. Perhaps even more since he's been running this offense for the last 4 years in school and learning from Texans game tapes. Gary used his pick wisely when he finally got one in this year's draft and got THE GUY he wanted. Gary's been watching this Yates fellow for a while. He din't just throw a dart.

They're going to go over the playbook and together decide what TJ's comfortable with and go with it. I think we'll see a little bit (or alot) more happening downfield as opposed to just dropping it 2-3 yds downfield or in the flat.

I've stated in another thread or two, I belive some folks are going to be surprised VS Atlanta.

C'mon Sunday! Go TJ!

GP
11-28-2011, 07:58 PM

Rep your way. It was good to see that he's being decisive and pointed about his attitude and what he expects.

Last thing we needed, or the players needed, is to see their HC a sad sack moping around at the podium.

Playoffs
11-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Our ship sailed the minute Schaub broke his foot. Leinart wasn't going to win a superbowl, and neither is Yates.
Yep.

And Tim Tebow can't play QB & win in this league.

As my buddy said, "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

DocBar
11-28-2011, 08:31 PM
I agree that this is where Kubes makes or breaks his rep as a QB guru. Would you rather have "everything is on me" Kubiak or "hey my coach screwed the pooch" Del Rio? Who do you think players will play harder for? I'll stick with Kubes in that debate. Get Yates ready to call a few audibles and lets go. Ya gotta piss with the **** ya got.

thunderkyss
11-28-2011, 10:12 PM
As far as the post-game remarks by Kubes, the one thing I didn't like was his criticism about the lack of effectiveness of the running game in the second half.

Dude, as much as their team mostly sucks overall, Jax has a pretty good defense... and it was YOUR play calling that let all 11 of their players put a bullseye on #23. That's as much on Foster, Yates or the O-line as it is on the coaches. Now maybe that play calling was justified under the circumstances, figuring your defense had a better chance to win the game for you than Yates had... but your play calling, justified or not, is what allowed the Jax defense to eat up Foster for the entire second half. An NFL defense, especially a pretty good one, can stop almost anyone if they know what's going to be called.

Calling out your running game there was bush league, IMO. If I'm someone's boss and I set them up to fail, I'm not going to humiliate them in public for failing. It's more on me than on them.

As for Yates, he doesn't even have to be real good -- just decent at passing and decision-making, and trusted enough to open up the running game and let the defense rest a bit.

How did Jacksonville's run game look? The Jags played the NFLs #1 Defense, the #2 run defense without a passing game & still picked up 100 yards.

gtexan02
11-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Yep.

And Tim Tebow can't play QB & win in this league.

As my buddy said, "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

Is Yates a champion? Of what?
Who on this team is a "champion"? We've never even been to the playoffs before

El Tejano
11-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Derrick Ward is a Champion.

DX-TEX
11-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Is Yates a champion? Of what?
Who on this team is a "champion"? We've never even been to the playoffs before

Its a referance to a quote to the 94 Rockets and Rudy T's comments. The 94 Rockets had never won a championship eaither.

dc_txtech
11-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Its a referance to a quote to the 94 Rockets and Rudy T's comments. The 94 Rockets had never won a championship eaither.

He actually said that in '95 after they won their second championship.

2BCF
11-29-2011, 12:51 PM

I'd bet you'd never be able to convince Yates he has no chance against GB. :D

DX-TEX
11-29-2011, 12:51 PM
He actually said that in '95 after they won their second championship.

He was thinking it during the first.:cow:

TheBigpaki
11-29-2011, 01:03 PM
I'd bet you'd never be able to convince Yates he has no chance against GB. :D

Our we talking about the same defense? Last I checked the Packers overall defense is 30th.

Rushing Defense-13th
Passing Defense-31st

DocBar
11-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Our we talking about the same defense? Last I checked the Packers overall defense is 30th.

Rushing Defense-13th
Passing Defense-31stUnfortunately, our D doesn't play their D. Our D is playing great right now, but we haven't faced too many offenses like GB's. The last time we did, N.O.'s hung 40 on us and we got an L. With a 3rd string QB (at best), our offense faces a tougher test than their defense. Right now. Give TJ a couple of weeks ( no great shame if we lose to ATL and Cinci) and we could be looking at a much better offense. TJ has the ability. Does he have the will?

Marcus
11-30-2011, 10:18 AM

Do you think other teams' QBs have a chance against ours?

All you pessimistic worry warts are beginning to bug me. In case you haven't noticed, we not only have the best defense in the league, but we are actually getting better, each and every week. Its gotten to the point where I don't even care what the offense does when they are on the field. I'm having so much fun watching the defense.

We are 8-3 because of the defense, not the offense. We will beat Atlanta this Sunday, because of the defense.

Stick that one in your crack pipe ...... Porky. :D

Corrosion
11-30-2011, 10:27 AM

You mean the Packers defense who gives up 20 more passing yards per game than the Texans defense did last season when they were one of the worst pass defenses in the history of the NFL ?

buddyboy
11-30-2011, 10:41 AM

This is bull. When not your first, but SECOND-stringer goes down, you have to EXPECT your running game to pick up the slack. As someone stated earlier, the Jags ran on us at a good clip, and our defense is better than theirs (which is pretty nicked up by injury too). When you're relying on your third string QB, and you have two backs capable of 100 yard games at the same time, you pound the rock and expect your running game to make life miserable for the other team.

We failed to do that, I don't know if the line was failing to open holes or if we needed more Tate, but I do know that our running game needs to improve.

Corrosion
11-30-2011, 10:48 AM
you pound the rock and expect your running game to make life miserable for the other team.

We failed to do that, I don't know if the line was failing to open holes or if we needed more Tate, but I do know that our running game needs to improve.

Their scheme was fantastic and the front seven played a very disciplined game. They stayed at home defensively , effectively cutting off the cut back lanes which is where the Texans make their money.

Sometimes you just have to credit the other guy with a job well done. This is one of those cases and looks a lot like the first meeting between the two teams.

The Texans have been able to run the ball all year when everyone in the building knew they were going to run it ..... accept against Jax.

Texcore
11-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Do you think other teams' QBs have a chance against ours?

All you pessimistic worry warts are beginning to bug me. In case you haven't noticed, we not only have the best defense in the league, but we are actually getting better, each and every week. Its gotten to the point where I don't even care what the offense does when they are on the field. I'm having so much fun watching the defense.

We are 8-3 because of the defense, not the offense. We will beat Atlanta this Sunday, because of the defense.

Stick that one in your crack pipe ...... Porky. :D

Once we get to the playoffs, absolutely teams have a chance against our defense. Don't be overly optimistic. Are we ranked #1? Yes, but its not like we have faced prolific offenses this season, so that has helped tremendously.

I'm going to refrain from saying we can beat Atlanta or any other team going forward until I see what Yates can do. And I am optimistic about him. Its going to be fun finding out.

buddyboy
11-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Their scheme was fantastic and the front seven played a very disciplined game. They stayed at home defensively , effectively cutting off the cut back lanes which is where the Texans make their money.

Sometimes you just have to credit the other guy with a job well done. This is one of those cases and looks a lot like the first meeting between the two teams.

The Texans have been able to run the ball all year when everyone in the building knew they were going to run it ..... accept against Jax.

I completely agree, Jacksonville made our usually strong running game look anemic this game. I was responding to the idea that Kubiak's playcalling was lacking. Sometimes you dial up the right play for the situation and the defense stuffs it.