PDA

View Full Version : Special Teams today

Kaiser Toro
11-27-2011, 09:46 PM
We see a lot of talk about specific players, but Joe Marciano's bunch played lights out today. We'll need more of that from here on out.

Also, my queasiness when Jacoby fields punts is all but gone.

dream_team
11-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Most of ST played well. Hartmann has had better days. Considering we had to use him, though, more often than usual, I'll let this performance slide.

brakos82
11-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Most of ST played well. Hartmann has had better days. Considering we had to use him, though, more often than usual, I'll let this performance slide.

Yeah, he finally earned his paycheck. :kitten:

AnthonyE
11-28-2011, 02:42 AM

I thought all of his punts were spot on and really encouraging. He had a beauty of a 60 yarder and he pinned the Jags inside the 20 quite a bit.

NitroGSXR
11-28-2011, 09:29 AM
We see a lot of talk about specific players, but Joe Marciano's bunch played lights out today. We'll need more of that from here on out.

Penalties were virtually non-existent as well. Jackson and McCain showed superb speed and tackling. I was fairly happy with the whole unit. Now McMannis and Jones need to at least get us closer to FG range if they don't finish the job themselves.

Texan_Bill
11-28-2011, 09:38 AM

Not me KT. I still hold my breath.

dream_team
11-28-2011, 10:21 AM
I thought all of his punts were spot on and really encouraging. He had a beauty of a 60 yarder and he pinned the Jags inside the 20 quite a bit.

He did shank a 23 yard punt, which led to a Jax FG. But like I said, I'll let it slide since he had to make so much punts and he did have alot of nice ones yesterday.

El Tejano
11-28-2011, 10:38 AM
If Jacoby and Mac don't get those returns, we don't score squat.

Insideop
11-28-2011, 11:16 AM

Hartmann's stats for the game were pretty impressive. I can forgive one bad punt.

Punting..............NO AVG I20 LG
B. Hartmann........10 41.2 3 56

The whole ST did a great job! Even Shiloh! Here's some of the contributions:

Special contributions
Punt returner Jacoby Jones was busy on Sunday, but he also turned in quality work. Seven times he returned a punt, and he averaged 16.6 yards per. He peeled off returns of 42, 23, 31 and 16 yards, helping to get the Texans’ offense in some solid starting field positions. It’s the fourth time in 2011 that he’s had a punt return of 40-plus yards, his 116 yards in punt returns are a franchise record.

“They’ve been getting better and continue to get better,” Kubiak said of the special teams units. “They’ve been real close to making some big plays with Jacoby. We had the long field goal and I chose not to kick the other one because I didn’t want to flip the field position in the game and let that hurt us. We kept them backed up.”

The long field goal Kubiak referenced was a 53-yarder by Neil Rackers in the second quarter.

Also impressive was the play of Sherrick McManis, who contributed with a 45-yard kickoff return, a pair of special teams tackles and a forced fumble.

Shiloh Keo finished with a pair of special teams tackles as well, and tipped a first half Jacksonville punt that wound up traveling just 25 yards.