PDA

View Full Version : If Kubiak wants to win he's gonna need to trust Yates

TheRealJoker
11-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Kubiak is coaching for his job
this season. He has to play with the cards he's been dealt. He neutered the offense today without Schaub but we will not play an offense as
bad as Jax the rest of the year aside from Indy.

If he wants to win from here on out he's gotta
trust the
rookie gunslinger to make plays sometimes. You can't just forget about Andre Johnson and friends.

ziggy29
11-27-2011, 03:20 PM
He was right to go more conservative *today* under the circumstances. I think it was *too* conservative, but yes, I would have thought it reckless to run the full, normal offense.

But with a week of prep, if Yates is going to be the starter next week then he needs to have almost the whole playbook back in there, and work like hell to run it during the week's workouts.

Malloy
11-27-2011, 03:22 PM
I think it was a question of him not seeing many snaps during training, Leinarts been getting em all getting ready taking over after Schaub.

If Leinart's hurt, I'm expecting Yates to get some more plays in.

Thank the gods that we have a defence! :)

houstonspartan
11-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Good grief. I'm not a big Kubiak fan, but, as someone else pointed out, this ain't Madden. You can't just have a rookie qb who has never played one down in the NFL come out swinging and tossing the ball all over the field. I don't blame Kubiak for taking things a bit slow. We have a solid defense now, and today was the day to let them do their thing.

RTP2110
11-27-2011, 03:24 PM
this season. He has to play with the cards he's been dealt. He neutered the offense today without Schaub but we will not play an offense as

trust the
rookie gunslinger to make plays sometimes. You can't just forget about Andre Johnson and friends.

I disagree with the bolded part. You know Bob McNair. If anything, Kubiak just earned himself a free pass. 7-3 with Schaub despite the injuries, then Schaub goes down too. No way McNair cans Kubiak for failing with TJ Yates.

thunderkyss

trust the

Maybe..... maybe Kellen Clemens will be playing next week.

I don't think you're bringing anything to the table that Kubiak doesn't know. Though I don't like it, he did the right thing today, get out of Jacksonville with the win & not putting too much on the rookie.

Norg
Man right. Now. In kellen clemens we trust lol

Kimmy
11-27-2011, 03:25 PM
I disagree with the bolded part. You know Bob McNair. If anything, Kubiak just earned himself a free pass. 7-3 with Schaub despite the injuries, then Schaub goes down too. No way McNair cans Kubiak for failing with TJ Yates.

Don't forget the lockout!

houstonspartan
11-27-2011, 03:27 PM

Well, but, you can't just give Kubiak a lifetime contract. I'm not trying to start a Kubiak debate here, but, at some point, the train stops. Injuries or not, at some point this team has to move forward.

Surreal McCoy
11-27-2011, 03:27 PM

Good.

KA4Texan
11-27-2011, 03:29 PM
I am in panic mode now.

I don't see why people wanted him to pass so badly, I was terrified every time he let the ball go, Thank God for Wade and his D is about all I can say.

That and F@#$ TB, first they screw us injuring our QB, then they won't even do us the courtesy of beating the Titans.

Maybe if they work exclusively with him I wont be in such a panic but right now I have a queasy feeling

EllisUnit
11-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Maybe..... maybe Kellen Clemens will be playing next week.

I don't think you're bringing anything to the table that Kubiak doesn't know. Though I don't like it, he did the right thing today, get out of Jacksonville with the win & not putting too much on the rookie.

i dunno i wanna see TJ yates after a full weeks of practice with the first team, for some reason i see something. It is the way he carries himself and his presence in the pocket. I think he could turn out to be pretty damn good.

thunderkyss
11-27-2011, 03:34 PM
i dunno i wanna see TJ yates after a full weeks of practice with the first team, for some reason i see something. It is the way he carries himself and his presence in the pocket. I think he could turn out to be pretty damn good.

I'm just saying we don't know.

I thought Kubiak was comfortable with Yates the way he let him sling it in the first half. But then in the second, that turtle done pulled his head back.

I'm good with that, I understand, "You play to win the game... HELLO!!"

But I agree with you, Yates looked good at first, so I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more. He looked like a leader.

TheRealJoker
11-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Yates was a gunslinger on a bad team in college. He's not
gonna be a game manager qb. He's a high risk/high reward player. If you want any rewards from him you gotta let him loose! At least on 3rd and long...

DocBar
11-27-2011, 03:38 PM
PFT (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/27/texans-fear-that-leinart-has-broken-collarbone/) is reporting that the Texans think Leinart has a broken collarbone. WTF??? This has gotten ridiculous. Would that mean we IR Leinart or keep him inactive for the rest of the regular season? Do we even have enough money to sign another QB?

Playoffs
11-27-2011, 03:39 PM
NickScurfield Nick Scurfield
Leinart said it was his collarbone & felt similar to his season-ending injury in '07. "It's pretty disappointing. Tough to swallow."
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

NickScurfield Nick Scurfield
Matt Leinart: "I think there's probably a pretty strong possibility I won't be coming back this season." #Texans

fiasco west
11-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Not quite in panic mode yet.

I think the playbook closed down once Yates went in there. I mean you practice all week with one guy, I don't think teams are ever ready for their QB going out in the middle of a game.

I did like what Yates did in the hurry up though. He definitely has the tools to be a alright QB...but the experience at the QB position is monumental and that part scares me.

Still though...the defense is something else really...

ziggy29
11-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Still though...the defense is something else really...
QFT. I mean, can you even begin to imagine having to rely on last year's defense to hold this lead? And with no Mario, no less?

BullNation4Life
11-27-2011, 03:45 PM
PFT (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/27/texans-fear-that-leinart-has-broken-collarbone/) is reporting that the Texans think Leinart has a broken collarbone. WTF??? This has gotten ridiculous. Would that mean we IR Leinart or keep him inactive for the rest of the regular season? Do we even have enough money to sign another QB?

Any qb u sign is going to be chump change anyway. The question should be who the hell is out there that is worth spending money on...

GP
11-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Good grief. I'm not a big Kubiak fan, but, as someone else pointed out, this ain't Madden. You can't just have a rookie qb who has never played one down in the NFL come out swinging and tossing the ball all over the field. I don't blame Kubiak for taking things a bit slow. We have a solid defense now, and today was the day to let them do their thing.

And, I think something that has slipped a lot of people's attention is this:

The Jags got a gift-wrapped TD off the Foster fumble.

Without that TD, the Jags scored two field goals today.

It should have been 20-6, folks. I don't know that I've ever seen the Texans defense actually win the game the way they did. Maybe that one year in the Carr era when we beat Pittsburgh IN PITTSBURGH! off our defense performance alone.

Connor Barwin was possessed like a maniac demon today. It was out of this world. He was unstoppable.

HJam72
11-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Didn't we beat Jax 20-0 once in the Capers era? Maybe with Dunta R. as a rookie?

drunkcookie
11-27-2011, 03:56 PM
I need to get drunk...

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using Tapakeg

IlliniJen
11-27-2011, 03:59 PM
IN YATES I TRUST!!!

I'm all-in on the Texans. Let's see what the kid can do. We're putting him in a bad spot if we're going to run-run-pass-punt every series. Kubiak, there's a difference between conservative and predictable, and today in the second half he became dreadfully predictable.

GP
11-27-2011, 04:00 PM
I need to get drunk...

I'll race ya'.....

drunkcookie
11-27-2011, 04:05 PM
IN YATES I TRUST!!!

I'm all-in on the Texans. Let's see what the kid can do. We're putting him in a bad spot if we're going to run-run-pass-punt every series. Kubiak, there's a difference between conservative and predictable, and today in the second half he became dreadfully predictable.

It was for sure predictable, i just think he wanted to get Yates out of there without any damage.. sure sucked not having Vickers out there...

ATXtexanfan
11-27-2011, 04:05 PM
I need to get drunk...

was there two hours ago, burnt my chicken on the pit

GP
11-27-2011, 04:08 PM
I was not impressed with Myers blocking in Pass Protection vs. the Bucs.

He and Winston got schooled by the Jags today.

If I'm looking for reasons why the run game couldn't get started and why the pass game looked anemic, I'm thinking it's a little more than just Kubiak not trusting TJ Yates or Arian Foster suddenly becoming human somehow.

It's a machine, and it has many parts. The offensive line is a major part of the machine, and it has to get better. Fast.

Yeah, I know: We ran up the yardage vs. the Bucs. We beat the Jags too. But still, there's been some clunky moments the past two games.

bckey
11-27-2011, 04:17 PM
The Texans are done. McNair will never call Favre and never fire Kubiak this year. If he did he would just promote Phillips to hc which would be another bad move. Keep him at dc. Another season down the drain. For what its worth I don't think Leinert was taking us anywhere either.

I'm sure the Texans will celebrate making the playoffs like other teams would the superbowl. 1 and done and nothing changes. McNair still makes his money and all the Houston lemmings continue to sell out Reliant. Bad luck, cursed or whatever you want to call it all I know is it stinks.

legacy_gt
11-27-2011, 04:22 PM
The Texans are done. McNair will never call Favre and never fire Kubiak this year. If he did he would just promote Phillips to hc which would be another bad move. Keep him at dc. Another season down the drain. For what its worth I don't think Leinert was taking us anywhere either.

I'm sure the Texans will celebrate making the playoffs like other teams would the superbowl. 1 and done and nothing changes. McNair still makes his money and all the Houston lemmings continue to sell out Reliant. Bad luck, cursed or whatever you want to call it all I know is it stinks.

they may not get in the superbowl, but this team has so many improvements and keeps getting better and that has been the difference than any year. 8-3 with all our injuries is damn impressive.

bckey
11-27-2011, 04:24 PM
but none of it is due to Kubiak

legacy_gt
11-27-2011, 04:26 PM

none? i was one to get in line to get kubs outta here...but this year to deny some of the things he's done to get to an 8-3 record is absurd.

bo orlando
11-27-2011, 04:27 PM

trust the

With the way Gabbert was playing, Texans were not going to lose today unless they committed turnovers. "Neutering the offense" won the game. Give Kubiak some credit.

houstonspartan
11-27-2011, 04:28 PM
none? i was one to get in line to get kubs outta here...but this year to deny some of the things he's done to get to an 8-3 record is absurd.

Um, this is Wade's team, and this year is Wade's creation. And guess who hired Wade? McNair.

HJam72
11-27-2011, 04:29 PM

Well, that's true, but we didn't actually need Kubiak to improve. We needed him to stop choosing the DCs.

The years wasted with bad DCs chosen by Kubiak ticks me off too, but we're not going to help ourselves by firing him if he keeps putting top 5 O's on the field while Phillips is putting top 3 Ds on the field. Obviously not this year, due to circumstances, but that is the stuff of SuperbowlS.

dream_team
11-27-2011, 04:30 PM
With the way Gabbert was playing, Texans were not going to lose today unless they committed turnovers. "Neutering the offense" won the game. Give Kubiak some credit.

This!^^^

Keep in mind, the only TD the Jags got was off a turnover. The only way we were going to lose that game is if we turned it over some more. Give Kubes some credit, he showed a lot of trust in his defense to win this game.

beerlover
11-27-2011, 04:33 PM
I'll race ya'.....

Already there :drunk:

GP
11-27-2011, 04:39 PM
I am relatively happy with how this season has gone thus far.

Won't mean that I start doing cartwheels if we lose the division somehow, not even if it's due to all the injuries or whatever the case may be.

This year should be ours. We've toiled and waited for 10 years now. It's our time right now, and Kubiak as the HC has to find a way to get us the AFC South title no matter what.

If he can't, then he's no better than Leinart who couldn't find a way to get out of traffic faster than he did nor is Kubiak better than TJ Yates who might not rise to the occasion and become the guy he and Kubiak think he is.

Point blank: Gary Kubiak has to deliver this year. I don't care if he pays people off, gives his whole team steroids, promises his soul to the devil, or whatever it would take to get the AFC South title. He MUST do it.

Anything less than that, IMO, and he's not a HC...he's just great at finding talent and letting the talent do HIS work for him. We need a guy who can adapt and overcome and use whatever we have and STILL beat teams with it.

Today, regardless of injuries, Kubiak the head coach looked very much like the guy who couldn't do anything prior to Arian Foster's arrival.

houstonspartan
11-27-2011, 04:43 PM
I am relatively happy with how this season has gone thus far.

Won't mean that I start doing cartwheels if we lose the division somehow, not even if it's due to all the injuries or whatever the case may be.

This year should be ours. We've toiled and waited for 10 years now. It's our time right now, and Kubiak as the HC has to find a way to get us the AFC South title no matter what.

If he can't, then he's no better than Leinart who couldn't find a way to get out of traffic faster than he did nor is Kubiak better than TJ Yates who might not rise to the occasion and become the guy he and Kubiak think he is.

Point blank: Gary Kubiak has to deliver this year. I don't care if he pays people off, gives his whole team steroids, promises his soul to the devil, or whatever it would take to get the AFC South title. He MUST do it.

Anything less than that, IMO, and he's not a HC...he's just great at finding talent and letting the talent do HIS work for him. We need a guy who can adapt and overcome and use whatever we have and STILL beat teams with it.

Today, regardless of injuries, Kubiak the head coach looked very much like the guy who couldn't do anything prior to Arian Foster's arrival.

Agree 100000000 percent. This is it. Enough already. We can't use injuries as an excuse. I look at what San Fran has done in one year and it drives me insane. And, why is it that Tennessee changed coaches, players, QB's, the whole nine, and are still chugging away, on our tails?

Nope. No more excuses.

welsh texan
11-27-2011, 04:44 PM
I thought the playbook got pulled after Yates threw the late ball to OD on the hook route. Sure Yates had reason to not get it out on time, his passing lane was being blocked by the DL, but he needed to then hold on to that ball because that one had pick written all over it.

That's when we went to run run dumpoff punt.

But thats OK, because Kubiak wasn't going let Yates throw the game away, and gave the D its chance to win the game.

And guess what? They did, so well coached.

I think people are so concerned by it because it brings back memories of when we didn't have the D to hold a team, Kubiak still went into conservative mode and always got burnt by it. This time we were able to step up and stop them.

I'd love nothing more to wake up tomorrow and see that the Texans have signed Brett Favre. Let Yates start the next few games until Favre is ready and bring Favre in for the last few games and give us a shot in the playoffs.

Leinart took stick from some quarters today, but in reality he did what everyone asked him to do, manage the game into a winning position, poor bloke just missed his shot, that injury could break his career and I'm sorry for him.

thunderkyss
11-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Agree 100000000 percent. This is it. Enough already. We can't use injuries as an excuse. I look at what San Fran has done in one year and it drives me insane. And, why is it that Tennessee changed coaches, players, QB's, the whole nine, and are still chugging away, on our tails?

Nope. No more excuses.

So you agree with GP 100000000 percent?

As long as we win the division, Kubiak's done his job?

That's all I wanted to know.

houstonspartan
11-27-2011, 05:05 PM
So you agree with GP 100000000 percent?

As long as we win the division, Kubiak's done his job?

That's all I wanted to know.

Win the division AT THE VERY LEAST. Of course I want us to go far in the playoffs. But Kubiak must deliver the division.

Marcus
11-27-2011, 05:22 PM

This is what I just love about this ****ing message board. :rolleyes:

TexanExile
11-27-2011, 05:30 PM
You bet he has to.

The defensive effort today was awesome and Barwin's performance was really fun to watch, even if some of the shine was taken away by that ridiculous roughing call on his sack. But if the play calling is going to consist of what it was today, they're hosed.

Against real contenders, this team can't go practically an entire half without converting a third down. They're taking no time off the clock for the defense to stay off the field. Yes, the defense is great--but how great can they be if they're on the field so much more than they've been in recent weeks?

I really don't care if the Texans win the rest of their games by scores like 9-6. But now that the team's apparently his for a while, if Yates isn't trusted to throw a little, the running game will suffer and the defense will be on the field too much. The ultra-conservative stuff today, although painful to watch, was the right call to preserve the lead and Yates' confidence. Now it's time to treat him like the starter.

This team was good enough to overcome a 2-fumble day by its star RB, including a defensive TD against them, even while fielding a 3rd string QB and getting shut out for a half. They can help bail Yates out when he screws up--and yeah, he's gonna screw up. But if this is the new Texans offense (I don't think it is), we are well and truly done.

The Third Man
11-27-2011, 05:31 PM

It's time to stop following football. Go knit a sweater.

thunderkyss
11-27-2011, 06:01 PM
But if the play calling is going to consist of what it was today, they're hosed.

Why would you think it would?

Unless you have absolutely no feel or understanding for the game, you've got to be a complete moaron to not understand why the plays were called the way they were in the second half.

Nobody likes conservative, but I can't imagine any team throwing their third string QB into a game & ask him to sling it around when you've got a 10 point lead on a team that cannot score.

The Jags couldn't score in our first game, both scores came off of turnovers.

They couldn't score in this game, 7 of their 13 points came off a turnovers.

Why would you want to give them a chance to win the game? Our punter vs their punter, that's the way the game played out & we won.

TheRealJoker
11-27-2011, 06:03 PM
After stepping back for a second, I have decided that Kubiak is gonna take the leash on the young pup and let him loose!!!

8-3 and counting Texans fans!!!

Thorn
11-27-2011, 06:03 PM

Unless you have absolutely no feel or understanding for the game, you've got to be a complete moaron to not understand why the plays were called the way they were in the second half.

Nobody likes conservative, but I can't imagine any team throwing their third string QB into a game & ask him to sling it around when you've got a 10 point lead on a team that cannot score.

Why would you want to give them a chance to win the game? Our punter vs their punter, that's the way the game played out & we won.

This. Yates will throw more against Atlanta after spending a week practicing with the 1st string as the starter. He still probably won't throw a lot, but at least he'll have a better idea of how to throw to the different recievers.

houstonspartan
11-27-2011, 06:05 PM

Agree. I couldn't understand why people in the game thread were complaining about Kubiak going conservative and not stepping on their throat. Given what happened today, going conservative was the right move, IMO.

TimeKiller
11-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Yeah, they aren't going to get by with that no pass attack. The Jags have a good D but come on, they were abusing the OL/Foster with run blitzing. The guy looked good on the 2 minute drill and has a good live arm for passing. Shoot for the moon with this guy. You know why? You might just hit it. If he's here, he's ready. Rock and roll!

EllisUnit
11-27-2011, 06:26 PM
This. Yates will throw more against Atlanta after spending a week practicing with the 1st string as the starter. He still probably won't throw a lot, but at least he'll have a better idea of how to throw to the different recievers.

And he can work on timing with the guys, you could tell that his timing was way off. But overall he did very well IMO. His poise/confidence in the pocket is what really impresses me. I think we may have found our QB of the future TBH

GP
11-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Agree. I couldn't understand why people in the game thread were complaining about Kubiak going conservative and not stepping on their throat. Given what happened today, going conservative was the right move, IMO.

My only problem is this: Will Gary Kubiak use this as crutch, to rationalize going MORE conservative and trying to use his defense to beat opponents?

I wonder what the mood is, right now, in the Texans locker room.

HJam72
11-27-2011, 06:39 PM
My only problem is this: Will Gary Kubiak use this as crutch, to rationalize going MORE conservative and trying to use his defense to beat opponents?

I wonder what the mood is, right now, in the Texans locker room.

I'm guessing it's very quiet, since they are probably heading home.

sbalderrama
11-27-2011, 09:55 PM
Kubiak also mentioned that they went very conservative simply because Yates was the last dressed QB on the roster, and they didn't want him injured. Nobody really wanted OD taking snaps.

DocBar
11-27-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm guessing it's very quiet, since they are probably heading home.You're a smart ass, but a funny one!

TexanExile
11-28-2011, 05:22 PM

Thanks for the response, but next time please read past my first paragraph. We agree with each other. From the exact same post for which you implied I was a "moaron:"

The ultra-conservative stuff today, although painful to watch, was the right call to preserve the lead and Yates' confidence.

The way the game was played on Sunday was the right way. But that cannot be the playbook for the rest of the season. That's all I was saying.

ziggy29
11-28-2011, 05:25 PM
The way the game was played on Sunday was the right way. But that cannot be the playbook for the rest of the season. That's all I was saying.

This. I think Kubes was making a calculated (and vindicated) decision that his defense was more likely to win the game than on Yates' passing heroics while getting little of the work with the offensive staff last week. This week it MUST be opened up some. If NFL defenses know what's coming, they are going to stop it. And hoping a D which spends too much time on the field can hold a 10 point lead for 30 minutes against a rather bad Jax offense is a lot different than expecting them to completely shut down Atlanta for an entire 60.

80tothezone
11-28-2011, 05:25 PM
He was right to go more conservative *today* under the circumstances. I think it was *too* conservative, but yes, I would have thought it reckless to run the full, normal offense.

But with a week of prep, if Yates is going to be the starter next week then he needs to have almost the whole playbook back in there, and work like hell to run it during the week's workouts.

I think for yesterday considering we won he did the right thing.

Double Barrel
11-28-2011, 06:04 PM
This is what I just love about this ****ing message board. :rolleyes:

You would think that such a fortune teller would have won at least one lottery by now... :fortune:

Wolf6151
11-29-2011, 01:50 AM
I agree Kubiak will need to have some faith in Yates for him to succeed. I just hope Kubiak doesn't hit the panic button the first time Yates throws an interception. Hopefully Kubiak lets Yates make a few mistakes, learn from them, and do better in the future. I really think Yates has potential to be very good in the NFL if given a real chance.

TheRealJoker
12-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks for trusting TJ coach!