PDA

View Full Version : Texas and Texas A&M

Wolf
11-24-2011, 11:41 AM
COLLEGE STATION, Texas (AP)—The winner of Texas and Texas A&M’s annual game usually gets a year of bragging rights in this football-crazy state.

The victor of Thursday night’s showdown will get to boast about this one for a lot longer than that.

It is Texas A&M’s last Big 12 game before the Aggies move to the Southeastern Conference next season. They hoped to continue the rivalry, which began in 1894, but the Longhorns have said their schedule is full through 2018.

The possibility that this could be the last meeting between these rivals has taken this already heated matchup to another level.

Texas coach Mack Brown talked to his players about the shot to go out on top.

“You should enjoy this because this could the last time that Texas ever plays Texas A&M,” Brown said he told them. “If that happens, you’ve got something to talk to your kids about, your grandkids about, you’ll be part of history. I also told them … you’d like for it to be a good memory.”

The Longhorns got Brown’s point loud and clear.

“This game will be remembered. The score will be remembered, just because it is the last one in a long series,” Texas safety Blake Gideon said.

Texas A&M defensive coordinator Tim DeRuyter and coach Mike Sherman conveyed a similar message to the Aggies.

“This game’s never just another game,” DeRuyter said. “The fact that it’s the last one for a long time has coach Sherman and I have (saying): `It’s the one you’re going to remember for years, 15 or 20 years down the road you’ll be talking about it. It’s your chance to affect that.”

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-texas-texasam

Kaiser Toro
11-24-2011, 11:50 AM
I am laying the nine points today.

texanhead08
11-24-2011, 12:25 PM
This is probably the least hyped game between these two schools that I can ever remember.

Wolf
11-24-2011, 08:06 PM
and about to start

Wolf
11-24-2011, 08:17 PM
touchdown Aggies already

Showtime100
11-24-2011, 08:20 PM
touchdown Aggies already

Excellent. Go NINERS!

Wolf
11-24-2011, 09:14 PM
longhorns score on a trick play.

13-7 now Aggies leading

playa465
11-25-2011, 12:04 AM
What a game!!!! It's a shame that this series is ending, the state should step in and and make it happen (I know its far-fetched).

Showtime100
11-25-2011, 12:08 AM
What a game!!!! It's a shame that this series is ending, the state should step in and and make it happen (I know its far-fetched).

Kidding?? Pretty bad game, IMO. I was game to watch but quit because, well, the game wasn't that good to watch.

Hookem Horns
11-25-2011, 12:13 AM
LOL, I kept telling a buddy of mine that there is no way we are going to miss that field goal because the Aggies are cursed.

You Aggies have the double whammy. I feel your pain on Sundays because I know all about the Houston curse thing, but you guys have it on both sides.

Have fun in the SEC! Hookem!

pbat488
11-25-2011, 12:22 AM
we're bad :(

before this season, I predicted 10-2 with cotton bowl win over south carolina and a sweep of the texas schools. boy, was I wrong.

yikes.

steelbtexan
11-25-2011, 12:32 AM
Hope the Ags represent well in the SEC.

Have to see it to believe it.

Sherman is one of Garys mentors. His team only plays 2 qtrs. Coincedence?

SheTexan
11-25-2011, 12:38 AM
Congrats to my Longhorn friends! The Aggs GAVE ya a going away present!! 17 unanswered points!! :) Truthfully, the Aggies screwed up, and Tennehall SUCKS!! That my friends = a Texas win!!

SteveSlaton20
11-25-2011, 12:44 AM
And it's goodbye to A&M!

Showtime100
11-25-2011, 12:54 AM
I want the old SWC back!!

Congrats Longhorns. What is this world coming to?

Dutchrudder
11-25-2011, 01:27 AM
I can't believe some of my Aggie friends. They seem to deify Tannehill as if he's some awesome QB being held back by Sherman, but the fact is he's an average QB who has trouble managing a game while ahead. He's the quintessential Mark Sanchez without the GQ spread. I hope we get a better one in Showers cause we are sorely needing an upgrade. Screw Tannehill, I will break things of the Texans waste a Second on him...

Showtime100
11-25-2011, 03:15 AM
I can't believe some of my Aggie friends. They seem to deify Tannehill as if he's some awesome QB being held back by Sherman, but the fact is he's an average QB who has trouble managing a game while ahead. He's the quintessential Mark Sanchez without the GQ spread. I hope we get a better one in Showers cause we are sorely needing an upgrade. Screw Tannehill, I will break things of the Texans waste a Second on him...

No, he isn't

SheTexan
11-25-2011, 07:23 AM
No, he isn't

Correct! He's BELOW adverage!!!! I've watched more Aggie football this year than ever before, simply because I'm not into college football that much. BUT, I thought Sherman was about to turn the corner with them, and this would be a respectable year and worth watching. WRONG! The only thing Tannehill has going for him is a cute girlfriend. They sure showed her enough on TV last night!! :scarygirl:

BattleRedToro
11-25-2011, 10:35 AM
I was at the game. Tannehill sucks and Sherman's playcalling is too predictable. The Aggies had no business losing that game. Untimely defensive penalties, some of which were highly questionable calls, that sustained what would have otherwise been unsuccessful Longhorn drives, combined with 1 major special teams error and a lackluster offensive performance that included multiple turnovers in great field position ruined what quite possibly would have been a 28+ point differential shutout.

Showtime100
11-25-2011, 11:04 AM
....and for the record. Mac daddy would be a better coach if he would - for the love of God - quit worrying about the officiating. I've really grown to hate that guy.

playa465
11-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Kidding?? Pretty bad game, IMO. I was game to watch but quit because, well, the game wasn't that good to watch.

Reference was to the outcome...Longhorns are a young team and Aggies are underachievers, there was momentum swing back and forth even with the sloppiness. Last game of a historic rivalry came down to the last second, so again: What a Game!!!

Showtime100
11-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Reference was to the outcome...Longhorns are a young team and Aggies are underachievers, there was momentum swing back and forth even with the sloppiness. Last game of a historic rivalry came down to the last second, so again: What a Game!!!

Lol, I'll take the COOOOGS anyday.

playa465
11-25-2011, 02:18 PM

Well I'll definitely agree to that :excited:

Corrosion
11-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Last game of a historic rivalry

This sucks as a fan of football.

A&M and the others leaving the big 12 sucks and was kinda silly. They left because of the Longhorn Network ..... Mad that they werent getting a cut of the pie or didnt have the following to garner their own "Network" deals.

The Aggies say they want to continue the rivalry .... but I dont see it happening.

I guess the Horns will get the last laugh while watching the Aggies "Try" to compete with the big boys in the SEC. They couldnt hang with the big boys in the Big 12 for much of the last decade .... they wont do it often in the SEC either. LSU , Bama and Auburn will have their way with "Lil Sister".

axman40
11-27-2011, 11:37 AM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/308791_2255924154328_1135064219_31888630_113911107 1_n.jpg

Playoffs
11-27-2011, 12:16 PM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/308791_2255924154328_1135064219_31888630_113911107 1_n.jpg
I agree 100%!

BattleRedToro
11-27-2011, 01:36 PM

Whatever.

All that needs to be said on the subject of the end of the Texas vs. ATM series is that Texas is refusing to schedule ATM in basketball, baseball, etc. One might be able to stomach the weak excuse for not scheduling football due to the limited number of games played each year, but refusing to schedule ATM for any sports shows just how petty Deloss Dodds is. It's the same reason that he opposes Houston being added to the Big XII.

Playoffs
11-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Whatever.

Heath Shuler
11-27-2011, 05:17 PM

funny stuff

Dan B.
11-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Whatever.

All that needs to be said on the subject of the end of the Texas vs. ATM series is that Texas is refusing to schedule ATM in basketball, baseball, etc. One might be able to stomach the weak excuse for not scheduling football due to the limited number of games played each year, but refusing to schedule ATM for any sports shows just how petty Deloss Dodds is. It's the same reason that he opposes Houston being added to the Big XII.

Ain't gonna be just Texas. I don't think Baylor, Tech, or TCU are going to run out and trample each other to sign home and homes with A&M either. They ditched the state. They left. Good luck, I mean that honestly, but also good riddance. They didn't want to play Texas teams anymore. That's why they left a conference that was half Texas teams to go to one where they are the outlier.

Dutchrudder
11-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Ain't gonna be just Texas. I don't think Baylor, Tech, or TCU are going to run out and trample each other to sign home and homes with A&M either. They ditched the state. They left. Good luck, I mean that honestly, but also good riddance. They didn't want to play Texas teams anymore. That's why they left a conference that was half Texas teams to go to one where they are the outlier.

Dude, none of those teams you mentioned have the type of rivalry A&M and UT have. There's just no comparison among those with A&M. Face it, Dodds just doesn't want to play A&M anymore, whether it's due to pride, egos, scorn or whatever, UT is the one turning down the opportunity for football. A scheduling conflict is about the lamest excuse you could come up with to get out of this, that's the kind of excuse I use to get out of after work happy hours with people I don't really like. Sure it's polite, but it's not the real reason you don't make the event.

Dan B.
11-28-2011, 12:18 AM
Dude, none of those teams you mentioned have the type of rivalry A&M and UT have. There's just no comparison among those with A&M. Face it, Dodds just doesn't want to play A&M anymore, whether it's due to pride, egos, scorn or whatever, UT is the one turning down the opportunity for football. A scheduling conflict is about the lamest excuse you could come up with to get out of this, that's the kind of excuse I use to get out of after work happy hours with people I don't really like. Sure it's polite, but it's not the real reason you don't make the event.

There's nothing for me to face. I never said Dodds wants to play A&M. I'm just explaining why I think he won't.

A&M left UT. If your wife leaves you and then calls once a year for some booty, how are you the bad guy for telling her where to stick it?

steelbtexan
11-28-2011, 12:40 AM
There's nothing for me to face. I never said Dodds wants to play A&M. I'm just explaining why I think he won't.

A&M left UT. If your wife leaves you and then calls once a year for some booty, how are you the bad guy for telling her where to stick it?

Great analogy.

With that said Dodds is just a petty ex track coach who has made UT alot of $$$$. He wouldn't even have gotten the job except he kept UT off probation. While he was almost directly responsible for destroying the old SWC.

This comes from a long time UT fan.

Dutchrudder
11-28-2011, 02:08 AM

I get that, but using the excuse of a scheduling conflict is just pussing out about it. Man up and tell it like it is. UT has been adamant about everything up to this point, but now when it comes to scheduling a 100+ year football rivalry game they have "a scheduling conflict"? C'mon, that's just weak and that's certainly not 'telling her where to stick it'. A&M's offering to play that game each year as it has been for over a century and Texas simply doesn't want to keep it going.

Btw, 'wife'? Really? You think that highly of A&M? :)

Dan B.
11-28-2011, 05:02 AM
I get that, but using the excuse of a scheduling conflict is just pussing out about it. Man up and tell it like it is. UT has been adamant about everything up to this point, but now when it comes to scheduling a 100+ year football rivalry game they have "a scheduling conflict"? C'mon, that's just weak and that's certainly not 'telling her where to stick it'. A&M's offering to play that game each year as it has been for over a century and Texas simply doesn't want to keep it going.

Btw, 'wife'? Really? You think that highly of A&M? :)

Of course it is.

Ex: "Hey, wanna go out this weekend and grab a drink?"

Me: "Nah, I'm busy this weekend... and every other weekend until 2018."

You don't think she'd get the message?

BattleRedToro
11-28-2011, 07:39 AM
Of course it is.

Ex: "Hey, wanna go out this weekend and grab a drink?"

Me: "Nah, I'm busy this weekend... and every other weekend until 2018."

You don't think she'd get the message?

That still doesn't explain all of the other sports. They play around 30 to 36 basketball games and 45 to 60 baseball games every year, and they're still having a scheduling conflict? Please. That's a lame excuse from a petty Athletic Director.

Dan B.
11-28-2011, 12:53 PM
That still doesn't explain all of the other sports. They play around 30 to 36 basketball games and 45 to 60 baseball games every year, and they're still having a scheduling conflict? Please. That's a lame excuse from a petty Athletic Director.

Do you think UT (pardon me -- tu -- don't want to confuse y'all) is really so busy every weekend for the next 20 years they can't reschedule? Take the hint.

If you run around calling a girl a whore and a slut and badmouthing her in public, she's probably not going to want to dance with you very often. When the girl says she's got to wash her hair tonight, and says the same thing all the time, you should know she's not REALLY washing her hair every single day. It's a nice way of telling you to screw off. As opposed to running around pointing fingers and blaming others for everything, the way some former conference members do.

"Arrogant conference killing sips. You whorns are all ghey cheaters. Have fun with lame ass Baylor and TCU, we're going to forge our own path without you stealin all the money."

"Whaddya mean ya don't want to play us anymore?"

Go play Mississippi State every Thanksgiving. It's sure to be a tradition that'll last a hundred years. That's what you wanted, right? SEC, SEC, SEC.....

Dan B.
11-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Members of the Big 12 gathered around the conference table for the monthly board meeting. As everyone settled in, Aggy – late as usual – walked through the door, and refused to take a seat.

“I’m done with this bunch,” he grimly stated. “I know we signed a new cooperative contract, but I don’t intend to put up the disrespect any longer.”

He let a small smile creep over his face and said, “Not only am I leaving, but I’m heading cross town to join the SEC –they appreciate me for who I am. They are bigger, richer, and they will treat me like an equal partner!”

He whirled, pointed a finger at Texas and through clenched teeth, seethed, “It’s all you’re fault! You are a bully, a liar and a cheat. You have kept me down long enough! You are the reason I haven’t won Salesman of the Year since Hitler invaded Poland!”

OU leaned over to UT and whispered, “WTF?”

UT, responded, “quiet, he’s on a roll.”

Aggy’s voice raised a couple of octaves as he continued, “You do nothing but ridicule my family and their traditions. You have to be in complete control from the burnt orange towels in the bathroom to the sliding scale sales commissions!”

Aggy paused, and let out a laugh.

“You know what else? I’m coming back here with my friends, LSU, Alabama, Georgia and Florida and we are going to recruit some of your best clients away from all of you!!! It won’t be long until I have my rightful place as one of the best among the best, and I will revel in rubbing your face in it!

With a dramatic flourish, Aggy turned on his heels and strode for the door.

He stopped and looked back at Texas.

We’re still on for Thanksgiving dinner, right?”

http://barkingcarnival.fantake.com/2011/10/19/why-texas-wont-play-am/#more-34857

Dan B.
11-29-2011, 02:33 AM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - When Texas A&M declared its intention to leave the Big 12 last month, university president R. Bowen Loftin compared his school's relationship with the conference as a loveless marriage in which the Aggies were "being kept against (their) will."

Baylor women's basketball coach Kim Mulkey, who has made no secret of the end of her own marriage five years ago, said she paid special attention to those comments. And when the topic of the Lady Bears continuing their marquee rivalry with A&M came up at Big 12 media day on Wednesday, Mulkey took Loftin's analogy to a new level of candor.

"So basically, he's talking about a divorce," Mulkey said. "And I think I know a little bit about a divorce. And my feeling is this: If a man wants to divorce me and says our relationship has no value to him and then he asks me if he can sleep with me, the answer is no!"

http://www.chron.com/sports/college-basketball-women/article/Baylor-s-Mulkey-sees-end-to-rivalry-with-A-M-2227310.php

It's not just UT. A&M killed their relationship with every college in Texas. Your choice. Face the consequences.

SteveSlaton20
11-29-2011, 03:11 AM
Not sure why y'all are crying about this. DeLoss Dodds gave aggy a chance to be in the Network, 50/50, but aggy decided no. After ESPN gave Texas a 20-years, $300 mil contract for the Network, and there were talks about showing HS Games, aggys were crying about this and decided to leave for good. And y'all did, to the SEC, like y'all wanted too. Y'all left because of our network, but y'all still want to play us? Jesus. Y'all don't deserve to play us, y'all left, not us.

And not to mention, going to Forth Worth >>> College Station. I'm glad y'all left for good and TCU joined the Big12.

Hookem Horns
11-29-2011, 04:11 AM
OK, I guess I have nothing to add to all of that. :tiphat:

Ole Miss Texan
11-29-2011, 10:38 AM
From what I've heard UT's proposal 4 years ago was that A&M and UT have an equal share in expenses at 50/50 but UT would receive 70% of revenue to A&M's 30%. Also early projections was that annual income was about 1/3 of what ESPN ended up agreeing to last year. So I can see A&M's hesitation 4 years ago.

Dan B.
11-29-2011, 12:50 PM
From what I've heard UT's proposal 4 years ago was that A&M and UT have an equal share in expenses at 50/50 but UT would receive 70% of revenue to A&M's 30%. Also early projections was that annual income was about 1/3 of what ESPN ended up agreeing to last year. So I can see A&M's hesitation 4 years ago.

My understanding was that there was no discussion of a revenue split because no one thought there would be any revenue to split. At the time it was thought a school network would lose money, at least at the start. No one dreamed it would be worth 300 million. UT continued to pursue the idea alone after Byrne rejected them and the Big 12 (including A&M) voted down a conference network.

Mr. White
11-29-2011, 01:49 PM

Here's one that I like....

"You don't get a divorce and still get to come over every year for Thanksgiving."

ziggy29
11-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Depends. Did this wife leave because she was just being hard to please, or because she was tired of her husband earning a lot more money and keeping almost all of it to himself even if she did her share of the work to keep the household running?

In some cases it is about TV contracts and positioning for a more "glorious" conference, but when it comes to the implosion of the Big 12, a lot of the rumbling is motivated by most schools not named UT getting tired of being second fiddle to Longhorns Incorporated. A lot of the schools have the perception that UT thinks it's bigger than the conference and more "important" than its conference mates.

Having said that, A&M has no right to expect UT (or any other Big 12 member school) to play them after they chose to bolt.

[Disclaimer -- I have no skin in this game either way.]

Dan B.
11-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Depends. Did this wife leave because she was just being hard to please, or because she was tired of her husband earning a lot more money and keeping almost all of it to himself even if she did her share of the work to keep the household running?

In some cases it is about TV contracts and positioning for a more "glorious" conference, but when it comes to the implosion of the Big 12, a lot of the rumbling is motivated by most schools not named UT getting tired of being second fiddle to Longhorns Incorporated. A lot of the schools have the perception that UT thinks it's bigger than the conference and more "important" than its conference mates.

Having said that, A&M has no right to expect UT (or any other Big 12 member school) to play them after they chose to bolt.

[Disclaimer -- I have no skin in this game either way.]

Pretty funny considering UT is the only one that has insisted on bringing along conference mates whatever happens. They didn't ditch anyone.

Also the SEC allows schools to do the exact same thing Texas did wrt third tier rights. Now that the precedent has been established, how long till we see a Gator Network? And what does A&M do then?

Say Watt
11-29-2011, 02:46 PM
There are some major homers in here on both sides, but the UT ones are certainly the more annoying of the two.

It was stupid for A&M to leave, but it's also stupid for all the UT fans to talk so much crap about Aggies over the years and then make a big deal when the Aggies decide to leave. If Aggies were such losers, why does it matter that they left for the SEC and why do you have to be such pansies about it to refuse to play each other anymore?

As a Coog, the Ags and Horns can all stick it where the sun don't shine.

Hookem Horns
11-29-2011, 04:34 PM
It was stupid for A&M to leave, but it's also stupid for all the UT fans to talk so much crap about Aggies over the years and then make a big deal when the Aggies decide to leave. If Aggies were such losers, why does it matter that they left for the SEC and why do you have to be such pansies about it to refuse to play each other anymore?

Actually it doesn't matter. It appears to me that UT has decided to move on however A&M is the one bitching that they can't keep the Thanksgiving game. That game was a conference game and Aggy left the conference so they should schedule another conference game on that day. Maybe Aggy vs Commodore will an exciting match up.

As far as UT fans talking whatever about the Aggies, maybe that goes on in Houston but in Austin I see the opposite. I see a lot of "Saw'em Off" stickers on cars around here but I don't think I have ever seen an anti A&M sticker on any UT fan's car. I do see some anti OU stuff however. I think most UT fans just don't care about A&M.

BTW, I totally get it. Growing up an Oilers now Texans fan I have always hated the Cowboys and have even owned some anti Cowboys things. However I will be the first to admit outside of Houston it is a one way rivalry. Most Cowboys fans could give a flip about the Oilers and now Texans. Many even root for them. It's because neither Houston team has ever been good enough for long enough to even be noticed by the other team in the state.

It's the same with A&M. I know many UT fans that root for them when they are not playing Texas, myself included. The only teams I root for over A&M are UT of course and UH. I have always been a Cougs fan myself and personally would love to see them in the Big XII however that is another topic.

BattleRedToro
11-29-2011, 10:05 PM
I have always been a Cougs fan myself and personally would love to see them in the Big XII however that is another topic.

No, its the same topic because its the same petty individual that is keeping that from happening, and his name is Deloss Dodds.:thinking:

Hookem Horns
11-30-2011, 01:59 AM
No, its the same topic because its the same petty individual that is keeping that from happening, and his name is Deloss Dodds.:thinking:

Yeah I heard that. For the record I am not a fan of that guy.

AnthonyE
11-30-2011, 01:10 PM

Or those 11-0, number 1 ranked BEARKATS. AMIRITE?!

http://www.houstonianonline.com/polopoly_fs/1.2671043!/image/198756577.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_260/198756577.jpg

Texcore
11-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Nothing greater than seeing my Longhorns kick the Aggies tail in their final Big 12 game!

Have fun being stuck in mediocrity in the SEC ags.

Texcore
11-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Actually it doesn't matter. It appears to me that UT has decided to move on however A&M is the one bitching that they can't keep the Thanksgiving game. That game was a conference game and Aggy left the conference so they should schedule another conference game on that day. Maybe Aggy vs Commodore will an exciting match up.

As far as UT fans talking whatever about the Aggies, maybe that goes on in Houston but in Austin I see the opposite. I see a lot of "Saw'em Off" stickers on cars around here but I don't think I have ever seen an anti A&M sticker on any UT fan's car. I do see some anti OU stuff however. I think most UT fans just don't care about A&M.

BTW, I totally get it. Growing up an Oilers now Texans fan I have always hated the Cowboys and have even owned some anti Cowboys things. However I will be the first to admit outside of Houston it is a one way rivalry. Most Cowboys fans could give a flip about the Oilers and now Texans. Many even root for them. It's because neither Houston team has ever been good enough for long enough to even be noticed by the other team in the state.

It's the same with A&M. I know many UT fans that root for them when they are not playing Texas, myself included. The only teams I root for over A&M are UT of course and UH. I have always been a Cougs fan myself and personally would love to see them in the Big XII however that is another topic.

The game can't continue for the time being because the Longhorns schedule is already set. West Virginia and TCU have replaced the game slots that were filled by A&M and Mizzou. Also the non conference schedule is set through 2018. So there is no feasible way for the game to continue and it is all A&M's fault for leaving the conference due to little brother syndrome.

In fact, I don't believe the aggies would want to schedule the Longhorns after 2018 because of the already tough SEC schedule they will have. But we'll see.

Now, they can face in a Bowl game at some point before 2018.

BattleRedToro
11-30-2011, 08:46 PM
The game can't continue for the time being because the Longhorns schedule is already set. West Virginia and TCU have replaced the game slots that were filled by A&M and Mizzou. Also the non conference schedule is set through 2018. So there is no feasible way for the game to continue and it is all A&M's fault for leaving the conference due to little brother syndrome.

In fact, I don't believe the aggies would want to schedule the Longhorns after 2018 because of the already tough SEC schedule they will have. But we'll see.

Now, they can face in a Bowl game at some point before 2018.

That is not true. The non-conference schedule can be changed anytime the Longhorns choose to. UT has reached settlements in the past to change their non-conference schedule, and they could do it again if they really wanted to. Hell, they could tell ATM that they have to pay the settlement to clear room on their non-conference schedule, if they want the rivalry to continue, but they won't because Deloss Dodds is petty.

Dan B.
12-01-2011, 01:03 AM
That is not true. The non-conference schedule can be changed anytime the Longhorns choose to. UT has reached settlements in the past to change their non-conference schedule, and they could do it again if they really wanted to. Hell, they could tell ATM that they have to pay the settlement to clear room on their non-conference schedule, if they want the rivalry to continue, but they won't because Deloss Dodds is petty.

They won't do it because it's a no win scenario for UT. They don't need any more games in Texas, and they don't need to play a 500 also ran in late November every year. Best case scenario is they beat A&M and get no credit for beating a nobody. The worst case is they lose to a team that's going nowhere. It'd be like scheduling Kentucky for Turkey Day every year. Why not stick with their current non conference opponents. At least UCLA is in a conference championship game. Been what, 14 years since A&M was in one of those? It's gonna be a lot more before they are in another one.

Say Watt
12-01-2011, 01:37 AM

This is why I like you, Kevin. A very reasonable post that really caused me to think. The Oilers/Texans "rivalry" with the Cowboys is a great analogy. Other than the bandwagon Houstonians that only root for the Cowboys because they won a few Super Bowls, most Cowboys fans I know that are actually from Dallas or the surrounding areas don't care a lick or have a problem with the Texans.

So I guess UT suffers from some of the same problems. They get a lot of bandwagon fans just like Dallas that root for them simply because of recent success. So naturally, it makes everyone else sick to their stomach as some guy that has never even been to a UT football game, or on the campus for that matter, is rubbing it in your face, or sticking "horns" in your face, that "his" Horns won a game.

Texcore
12-01-2011, 01:40 AM

It is true. The schedule is set till 2018. Can U.T. back out of a contract with other schools? Yes, but with a monetary settlement. But why should U.T. break contracts that it already has with other teams and pay out a settlement.? That's just bad business.

Bottom line is, the onus is on the aggays for leaving the conference and leaving the rivalry. We'll see it continue in the future, but for now it is done. All thanks to aggay little brother resentment.

Texcore
12-01-2011, 01:54 AM
This is why I like you, Kevin. A very reasonable post that really caused me to think. The Oilers/Texans "rivalry" with the Cowboys is a great analogy. Other than the bandwagon Houstonians that only root for the Cowboys because they won a few Super Bowls, most Cowboys fans I know that are actually from Dallas or the surrounding areas don't care a lick or have a problem with the Texans.

So I guess UT suffers from some of the same problems. They get a lot of bandwagon fans just like Dallas that root for them simply because of recent success. So naturally, it makes everyone else sick to their stomach as some guy that has never even been to a UT football game, or on the campus for that matter, is rubbing it in your face, or sticking "horns" in your face, that "his" Horns won a game.

I agree with you and the poster you quoted. All of my friends, co-workers and acquintances that are Cowboys fan don't have any rival feelings towards us. In fact many of them like seeing us do well for a change this season. The "rivalry" with us is just non-existant and one way. They have many heated and historic rivalries already and they pretty much have all of Texas outside of the greater Houston area.

As a U.T. alum, I do care about the a&m rivalry and hate seeing it "stalled" for the time being. But in the Mack Brown era, the OU rivalry has really taken center stage since both teams have had quite a bit of success in the past decade Perhaps if the aggays have put forth a more competitive product on the field, thereby having top 10 or top 5 matchups with the Longhorns, then rivalry would be a bit more 2 way. But the aggays have sucked ever since they fired RC Slocum, and the Longhorn matchup is all they have to live for each season, while U.T. has been living for and vying for confrence championships, BCS bowls, and national championships.

Say Watt
12-01-2011, 03:08 PM
I agree with you and the poster you quoted. All of my friends, co-workers and acquintances that are Cowboys fan don't have any rival feelings towards us. In fact many of them like seeing us do well for a change this season. The "rivalry" with us is just non-existant and one way. They have many heated and historic rivalries already and they pretty much have all of Texas outside of the greater Houston area.

As a U.T. alum, I do care about the a&m rivalry and hate seeing it "stalled" for the time being. But in the Mack Brown era, the OU rivalry has really taken center stage since both teams have had quite a bit of success in the past decade Perhaps if the aggays have put forth a more competitive product on the field, thereby having top 10 or top 5 matchups with the Longhorns, then rivalry would be a bit more 2 way. But the aggays have sucked ever since they fired RC Slocum, and the Longhorn matchup is all they have to live for each season, while U.T. has been living for and vying for confrence championships, BCS bowls, and national championships.

See this is what I don't get. You guys (UT alums) say you don't care very much about the A&M rivalry and also say that Aggies have a lot more derogatory sayings about the Longhorns than the Longhorns do about Aggies, but then you come in here to repeatedly type "aggays" as if to call all Texas A&M fans gay.

To say the rivalry is one-sided just isn't true. Just as you are being a bit of a jerk with how you call them "aggays", there are plenty of jerk Aggies out there saying similar things about "tu" and dumb stuff like that. So just admit there is a rivalry and that you both hate each other like a couple of elementary kids and carry on with your bashing of each other.

Say Watt
12-01-2011, 03:08 PM
And Hookem, please clear your private messages. I am trying to pm you but am unable to do so.

Mr. White
12-01-2011, 03:38 PM

I've heard this take a lot this past week (and over the years) from my Aggie friends. And it's one of the main reasons why I'm glad that this game is going away.

Just got a real problem with fans from one team trying to legitimize fans from another team. I haven't seen the same elitist attitude toward t-shirt A&M fans or bandwagon UH fans.

Where does it end? Can people outside of Texas become Texans fans? People outside of Houston? People that don't go to games? People that don't sit in the Bullpen?

Texcore
12-01-2011, 07:24 PM
See this is what I don't get. You guys (UT alums) say you don't care very much about the A&M rivalry and also say that Aggies have a lot more derogatory sayings about the Longhorns than the Longhorns do about Aggies, but then you come in here to repeatedly type "aggays" as if to call all Texas A&M fans gay.

To say the rivalry is one-sided just isn't true. Just as you are being a bit of a jerk with how you call them "aggays", there are plenty of jerk Aggies out there saying similar things about "tu" and dumb stuff like that. So just admit there is a rivalry and that you both hate each other like a couple of elementary kids and carry on with your bashing of each other.

Actually I think you misread my statement. I said I DO care about the rivalry, and always will. I was just explaining why the OU rivalry has taken center stage with many Longhorn supporters.

And yes, I did say "aggay" to bash them. And I will use said moniker whenever I please. I think its shameful how they let their envy of U.T., and little brother syndrome get the best of them. To the point where they quit the Big 12.

Playoffs
12-01-2011, 08:36 PM
MarkBermanFox26 Mark Berman
Texas A&M announces head football coach Mike Sherman has been fired.

Hervoyel
12-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Disturbing amount of buzz around that the aggies are going to come looking for Kevin Sumlin now that they've parted ways with Sherman.

I have a bad feeling about this...

Say Watt
12-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Actually I think you misread my statement. I said I DO care about the rivalry, and always will. I was just explaining why the OU rivalry has taken center stage with many Longhorn supporters.

And yes, I did say "aggay" to bash them. And I will use said moniker whenever I please. I think its shameful how they let their envy of U.T., and little brother syndrome get the best of them. To the point where they quit the Big 12.

I wasn't necessarily referring to you as someone that didn't care about the rivalry. But I have read many statements by posters on here as well as friends of mine that treat Aggies like they really don't care what they do because the real rivalry is with OU. Yet at the same time, they feel the need to call Aggies names and make rude comments. So my point is if you really don't care about someone and don't view them as a real rival, then you don't feel a need to bash them. Obviously that doesn't apply to you.

As for your last statement, I'm not so sure it has so much to do with feeling like a little brother. Matt Thomas was talking about it today and made some great points and as far as I know, he doesn't have a dog in the fight whatsoever. Basically, he was saying A&M just made a calculated decision based on their predictions of where the conferences were going. So instead of letting Texas control their destiny as far as if Texas decided to leave for the PAC 12, the Aggies decided to make a move while they could.

Obviously, I really dislike Texas because I hate Dodds for what he did to UH, but the dislike turns to hate when Longhorns get so cocky that they think the only reason anyone does anything is because they feel like a little brother next to the great University of Texas.

Say Watt
12-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Disturbing amount of buzz around that the aggies are going to come looking for Kevin Sumlin now that they've parted ways with Sherman.

I have a bad feeling about this...

This is going to piss me off if the talk causes the players to get distracted and UH ends up blowing the conference championship game. This is why colleges should not be allowed to talk to coaches with current head coaching positions until after the national championship.

Say Watt
12-01-2011, 09:05 PM
I've heard this take a lot this past week (and over the years) from my Aggie friends. And it's one of the main reasons why I'm glad that this game is going away.

Just got a real problem with fans from one team trying to legitimize fans from another team. I haven't seen the same elitist attitude toward t-shirt A&M fans or bandwagon UH fans.

Where does it end? Can people outside of Texas become Texans fans? People outside of Houston? People that don't go to games? People that don't sit in the Bullpen?

I think you misunderstand. I don't have a problem with people that live outside of the city rooting for a team. It's just that it seems some of the most annoying and "in your face" fans are the ones that actually either never attended school there or grew up in a city with its own franchise but decided to root for a winning team so they could feel better about themselves.

Let me give you an example. I have two friends. One grew up in Alabama but where he was from, everyone loved the Cowboys and his parents were Cowboys fans. The other was born and raised in Houston. His parents were Oilers fans yet once he saw the Cowboys win a Super Bowl in the 90s, he became a Cowboys fan. Take a guess at which one is the more annoying fan. The one from Alabama actually likes the Texans and roots for them too and has no problem. The one from Houston isn't content unless he is bashing the Texans and constantly has to rub it in people's faces about how "his" Cowboys are America's team.

Wolf
12-01-2011, 09:21 PM
well doesn't matter who you beat if you can't beat your rivals :kitten:

Stemp
12-01-2011, 09:24 PM

I expect nothing less from a self-righteous UTerus whorn fan who thinks that a school doing what is best for itself must be because of envy of the sister school.

Dan B.
12-01-2011, 10:11 PM
I wasn't necessarily referring to you as someone that didn't care about the rivalry. But I have read many statements by posters on here as well as friends of mine that treat Aggies like they really don't care what they do because the real rivalry is with OU. Yet at the same time, they feel the need to call Aggies names and make rude comments. So my point is if you really don't care about someone and don't view them as a real rival, then you don't feel a need to bash them. Obviously that doesn't apply to you.

As for your last statement, I'm not so sure it has so much to do with feeling like a little brother. Matt Thomas was talking about it today and made some great points and as far as I know, he doesn't have a dog in the fight whatsoever. Basically, he was saying A&M just made a calculated decision based on their predictions of where the conferences were going. So instead of letting Texas control their destiny as far as if Texas decided to leave for the PAC 12, the Aggies decided to make a move while they could.

Obviously, I really dislike Texas because I hate Dodds for what he did to UH, but the dislike turns to hate when Longhorns get so cocky that they think the only reason anyone does anything is because they feel like a little brother next to the great University of Texas.

I'm not saying that A&M can't do what's best for them. I never called them names. They are welcome to go to the SEC. I wish em luck and ill root for em if they're playing another SEC team.

But why is criticize UT for doing the sake thing? It's not in their interest to schedule A&M. They already have Ole Miss so they're full up on also rans from the SEC.

Say Watt
12-01-2011, 10:20 PM
I'm not saying that A&M can't do what's best for them. I never called them names. They are welcome to go to the SEC. I wish em luck and ill root for em if they're playing another SEC team.

But why is criticize UT for doing the sake thing? It's not in their interest to schedule A&M. They already have Ole Miss so they're full up on also rans from the SEC.

Here is the last thing I will say on the matter. If A&M had won on Thanksgiving night, do you honestly believe the Longhorns wouldn't have scheduled the Aggies at least within the next few years? I feel like there is no doubt. But since UT held on and won the game, they can just refer to the Aggies as also rans and not play them.

That to me says it all. For college football, it would have been better if A&M had won that game. Since they didn't, UT gets to stick their chest in the air and wave the horns and dodge A&M for the next 10 years or until Dodds is gone. Had they lost, there is no doubt UT would have wanted revenge. On the flip side, A&M has been willing to play them win or lose.

That says everything in my opinion.

Mr. White
12-01-2011, 10:22 PM
I think you misunderstand. I don't have a problem with people that live outside of the city rooting for a team. It's just that it seems some of the most annoying and "in your face" fans are the ones that actually either never attended school there or grew up in a city with its own franchise but decided to root for a winning team so they could feel better about themselves.

Let me give you an example. I have two friends. One grew up in Alabama but where he was from, everyone loved the Cowboys and his parents were Cowboys fans. The other was born and raised in Houston. His parents were Oilers fans yet once he saw the Cowboys win a Super Bowl in the 90s, he became a Cowboys fan. Take a guess at which one is the more annoying fan. The one from Alabama actually likes the Texans and roots for them too and has no problem. The one from Houston isn't content unless he is bashing the Texans and constantly has to rub it in people's faces about how "his" Cowboys are America's team.

It's cool. I quoted you, but that comment wasn't necessarily directed at you.

That comment was 100% my own personal baggage. I like a good natured ball-busting, but I've heard a bunch of shit this week that's really pissed me off. Mainly stuff from recent A&M grads like "Wal-Mart fans" and "t-shirt fans." But I've found the Aggies that are around here nowadays are a pretty classy bunch. Funny how that happens as people get older.

For the record, I'm a Longhorn, but I think the LHN is horseshit and I'm not a real big DeLoss Dodds fan either.

Dan B.
12-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Here is the last thing I will say on the matter. If A&M had won on Thanksgiving night, do you honestly believe the Longhorns wouldn't have scheduled the Aggies at least within the next few years? I feel like there is no doubt. But since UT held on and won the game, they can just refer to the Aggies as also rans and not play them.

That to me says it all. For college football, it would have been better if A&M had won that game. Since they didn't, UT gets to stick their chest in the air and wave the horns and dodge A&M for the next 10 years or until Dodds is gone. Had they lost, there is no doubt UT would have wanted revenge. On the flip side, A&M has been willing to play them win or lose.

That says everything in my opinion.

Considering they were saying they wouldn't play them anymore before the game started, yes I do believe that the series would have ended whether Texas won or lost. What makes you think Dodds would flip?

BattleRedToro
12-01-2011, 11:17 PM
For the record, I'm a Longhorn, but I think the LHN is horseshit and I'm not a real big DeLoss Dodds fan either.

I agree, the Longhorn Network is horseshit. The biggest loser with respect to the LHN is Longhorn fans. Since the introduction of the LHN, Longhorn fans have been forced to pay for the LHN to watch the UT-Rice game that in the past was on free TV or basic cable, and that is if the channel is even available in their service area.

pbat488
12-02-2011, 12:20 AM
A&M just made a calculated decision based on their predictions of where the conferences were going. So instead of letting Texas control their destiny as far as if Texas decided to leave for the PAC 12, the Aggies decided to make a move while they could.

out of all the other reasons a&m, ut, or whatever fans suggest; this is the most important one for why we are joining the sec.

Dutchrudder
12-02-2011, 12:42 AM
I expect nothing less from a self-righteous UTerus whorn fan who thinks that a school doing what is best for itself must be because of envy of the sister school.

No reason to sink to their level with the name calling.

Considering they were saying they wouldn't play them anymore before the game started, yes I do believe that the series would have ended whether Texas won or lost. What makes you think Dodds would flip?

I agree with this. Dodds said at least a month before the game that they didn't intend to schedule A&M in the future. If you recall during last year's conference realignment talk, Dodds threatened to never play A&M again if they went to the SEC, which would have meant UT and a few others likely would have gone to the PAC. The thing that gets me about it is that Dodds doesn't just come out and say it, "A&M left us and the conference, so we have no intention of helping them out by scheduling another game with them." Just put it out there if you don't ever want to play again and that will be the end of the discussion. Unless of course that is not their intention...

Playoffs
12-02-2011, 09:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VA7Tz3s8HE&feature=youtu.be