PDA

View Full Version : Turkey day:Packers-Lions game day thread

Wolf
11-24-2011, 09:42 AM
We'll I guess this is the day that we see if the lions can hang with the big boys. A friend of mine says, don't be surprised if he lions defense gets after Rogers.

I haven't watched Detroit but not sure they have enough firepower on offense to match Rogers

toronto
11-24-2011, 10:31 AM
We'll I guess this is the day that we see if the lions can hang with the big boys. A friend of mine says, don't be surprised if he lions defense gets after Rogers.

I haven't watched Detroit but not sure they have enough firepower on offense to match Rogers

Lion fans waited a long time for a relevant Thanksgiving, hope the decade long wait was worth it. I really want them to win this game.

b0ng
11-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Last time the Packers were 10-0, they lost. . . on Thanksgiving. . . to the Lions. . . in Detroit. Just sayin.

gg no re
11-24-2011, 11:57 AM
I don't mind who wins, I just hope Detroiters chuck batteries at Nickelback.

Wolf
11-24-2011, 12:23 PM
I forgot about that ...ugggh

:kubepalm:

Kaiser Toro
11-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Took the over on this one

Wolf
11-24-2011, 12:35 PM
so who got nervous and messed up the national anthem?
I just heard but missed it being in the other room

texanhead08
11-24-2011, 12:40 PM
This could be the day the Pack finally gets a loss. The Pack's pass defense has struggled this year and Detroit's pass offense has been pretty good. The fact that Kevin Smith ran last week could help as well.

Showtime100
11-24-2011, 01:17 PM
I find myself rooting for Detroit. Mainly the underdog thing but something else.

I was on Facebook a while back and noticed a high school buddy of mine, born and raised Houstonian, had a Green Bay avatar so I asked him about it. He said in a nutshell he roots for winners and and that leaves out Houston teams. http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/ShowtimeN15580/Emoticons%20II/113257294-Ti.gif

In the world, we are friends and that will never change. In the world of sports, he is a soulless bastardized human beaing who deserves a loss by Green Bay today.....lol.

I wonder how long the refs are going to let these teams play before they come to GB's rescue if needed. :)

Wolf
11-24-2011, 01:37 PM
I have seen worse pass interference that wasn't called

Wolf
11-24-2011, 01:49 PM
7-0 Packers 2 minutes left

can't wait , I need a bathroom break while nickelback is on

thunderkyss
11-24-2011, 01:51 PM
That was an awesome play by Stafford, chased out of the pocket, Clay Matthews bearing down on him, but he slings the ball out to a receiver on the sideline as he gets hit.....

Showtime100
11-24-2011, 01:55 PM
I can't believe I'm in the position of taking up for Kyle Vanden Bosch but that was a horrible roughing call.

thunderkyss
11-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Look at the pressure Detroit is getting with their front 4...

You've got to do that against a good passing team.

gary
11-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Not much of a game so far.

Wolf
11-24-2011, 02:15 PM
well I walked through the room and didn't recognize the song and they actually learned a different beat

gg no re
11-24-2011, 02:16 PM
I was so expecting this to be Nickelback's reception by Detroit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ERqzbiSe9I

Detroit, you've lost a few cool points with me today.

Austrian
11-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Suh just got kicked out of the game. He kicked an o-liner.

Wolf
11-24-2011, 02:32 PM
3rd down and stupid penalty on Suh

and got kicked out of the game for kicking

GB with new life and now another penalty on Detroit

self destruction is inevitable

Naiirb
11-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Damn i use to think Suh just played a little to hard at times but now i see why other players call him dirty. He just screwed his team over in a pivotal game.

gary
11-24-2011, 02:36 PM
That was a dumb play by Suh and no reason for it all.

Wolf
11-24-2011, 02:42 PM
another INT by Stafford

Hardcore Texan
11-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Damn i use to think Suh just played a little to hard at times but now i see why other players call him dirty. He just screwed his team over in a pivotal game.

he is a dirty SOB, no doubt about that now.

Wolf
11-24-2011, 02:52 PM
another Stafford INT and makes 3 now

didn't he have 4 last week?

Farough
11-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Unreal. You would figure there would come a time where they figure that with all these turnovers that Stafford is doing more harm then good with his decision making/broken finger(whichever the reason). Their D has been playing fairly well up to this point but you can't keep giving GB short fields..

Farough
11-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Also, not a very big fan of Suh. Definition of dirty... why would you bother trying to stomp the OL, nothing good can come of it

gary
11-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Turnovers and penalties are costing the Lions this game.

Farough
11-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Looking at Staffords last INT it looks like it wasn't really his fault.. Pettigrew did nothing to help the QB there..

Hervoyel
11-24-2011, 04:51 PM
I like how the officials are establishing that Suh will not be allowed to get away with this crap right away. He's literally got the potential to be another Reggie White type of force but if he doesn't (or can't) get his head on straight then all he'll be is another Albert Haynesworth. If he can't play with any control then all his physical ability is worthless.

toronto
11-24-2011, 05:59 PM
I like how the officials are establishing that Suh will not be allowed to get away with this crap right away. He's literally got the potential to be another Reggie White type of force but if he doesn't (or can't) get his head on straight then all he'll be is another Albert Haynesworth. If he can't play with anye control then all his physical ability is worthless.

When I watched the stomp I couldn't help but remember that the last time this happened, Schwartz was coaching Haynesworth.

Suh has the ability to be unstoppable, but he needs a coach to get in his face and control that anger and make him a better football player. Right now he's good, but he should be incredible.

He may get suspended for that.

Mr. White
11-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Last year, I thought Suh might be the best DT I've ever seen. I was a fan of the guy.

This year, I'm convinced he's another Haynesworth in the making. The only difference is that the NFL has looked the other way a lot longer in his case than they did with Fat Albert because he has way more PR potential.

The post-game excuse about him getting pushed was complete and utter horseshit. Either the guy is a real bad liar or he's in total denial.

GP
11-24-2011, 06:11 PM
When I watched the stomp I couldn't help but remember that the last time this happened, Schwartz was coaching Haynesworth.

Suh has the ability to be unstoppable, but he needs a coach to get in his face and control that anger and make him a better football player. Right now he's good, but he should be incredible.

He may get suspended for that.

That was the first thing I thought of: Schwartz coached Haynesworth, and now his big guy Suh is doing the same thing.

Couple this with how he blew a gasket in the infamous midfield handshake with Harbaugh earlier this season, and it makes me think that Schwartz is a guy who takes things too far.

I wanted the Lions to play competitively with the Packers today, but when Suh did what he did...I instantly stopped rooting for them. In fact, I'm now completely against them and hope they never amount to anything.

Bad leader = bad team = bad moments involving Haynesworth and Suh

I think Goodell should actually also fine and suspend Schwartz for repeatedly being at the root of these atrocious events. Send a message to coaches that they can't enable their players to go off half-cocked like Haynesworth and Suh have done.

GP
11-24-2011, 06:18 PM
...The post-game excuse about him getting pushed was complete and utter horseshit. Either the guy is a real bad liar or he's in total denial.

Yep, if he's trying to act like something was done to him..then he's a complete fake.

I watched it over and over. All that happened was the two guys got engaged with all four of their arms on that play, Suh tipped over and the blocker followed him to the ground. The blocker didn't slam him, didn't twist him, wasn't doing anything mean-spirited...and then Suh had a Haynesworth-Gerode moment and tried to stomp the guy as he's leaving the pile.

A note, in general: I applaud the refs for taking care of the situation and getting Suh the hell out of there. He deserved to be tossed, no matter his importance to his team and to the chances of the Lions staying in the ballgame and making it a good show for the TV crowd. He got no superstar treatment. In fact, I think they were watching him for this sort of thing.

I'm sick and tired of thugs doing crap like this. Goodell needs to get back to his old ways of dealing harshly with players. Sit the guy out for three games; you already had a personal sit-down with Suh and look what good it did. Hit him in his pocketbook, hit his team and make his teammates see what happens when you don't follow the rules.

What a crappy way to play the game of football for crying out loud.

ObsiWan
11-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Suh needs to return to this reality. I think frustration got the better of him and he lost it. He needs to man up and say that he was wrong.

He'll be suspended, the only question is how many games?

stingray
11-24-2011, 08:18 PM
I have no respect whatsoever for Suh.

b0ng
11-24-2011, 11:52 PM
re: Suh ejection.

I'm not surprised that a Jim Schwartz coached player (especially a D-linemen) takes things too far on a regular basis. Haynesworth got a $100m contract because he was willing to do almost anything he could to make sure that he dominated his man. Inside or outside the rules did not matter to Haynesworth, and I really think his surge in '07 and '08 really had more to do with him successfully hiding how dirty his play was.

Now Suh is getting a reputation as a dirty player, but I am willing to bet Schwartz is in his ear telling him that's how he wants him to play, just cut out the egregious stuff that will get him flagged and tossed.

thunderkyss
11-25-2011, 01:11 AM
I'm sick and tired of thugs doing crap like this. Goodell needs to get back to his old ways of dealing harshly with players. Sit the guy out for three games; you already had a personal sit-down with Suh and look what good it did. Hit him in his pocketbook, hit his team and make his teammates see what happens when you don't follow the rules.

Goodell can't handle this if he refuses to hold teams accountable.

The1ApplePie
11-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Also, not a very big fan of Suh. Definition of dirty... why would you bother trying to stomp the OL, nothing good can come of it

I guess you never spent a game with a guy cheap-shoting you with cut blocks all day. A lot of o-linemen are taught to spear a d-lineman in the balls when he tries to bat down a pass. Just make it look like a cut block gone wrong and the ref won't flag you.

What Suh did was stupid but I can understand it.

toronto
11-25-2011, 11:08 AM
One of the biggest things about that penalty? It was huge - they were gonna have to kick a FG, instead they get 1st and goal in a 7-0 game, plus he gets ejected, which impacts their pass rush immensely for the rest of the game.

It was just ****ing stupid and selfish, a very immature play by someone who is trying to come across as mature etc.

If he's suspended for a game that's a massive problem - playing in 9 days at NO on primetime - they kinda need him.

That one play could literally cost them the playoffs - hope it was worth it for him. Atlanta has the tiebreaker with them head to head, and they're neck and neck with NYG/CHI as well, so its no lock they'll make it.

b0ng
11-25-2011, 11:12 AM
He should absolutely be suspended for multiple games.

Farough
11-25-2011, 12:18 PM
I guess you never spent a game with a guy cheap-shoting you with cut blocks all day. A lot of o-linemen are taught to spear a d-lineman in the balls when he tries to bat down a pass. Just make it look like a cut block gone wrong and the ref won't flag you.

I completely understand that. But thats not the time to try and get even with him. Especially after the play with the ref watching you... That cost them a touchdown and and ejection. It just wasn't smart, hes already had the dirty label on him before this and should know hes being watched a lot closer than the other guys on his line.

playa465
11-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Suh must think he's a rapper. He is trying wayy to hard at portraying an image of the Lions being tough. He's bought into the hype and doesn't know how to control it. I think its just a sign of immaturity, especially since he's not accepting responsibility and giving stupid excuses. I don't think its the real him... was there any evidence of this at Nebraska? The Lions are young and talented, but are probably lacking leadership. Suspend Suh for 3 games without pay and call it a wrap.

PsychoLove
11-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Suh must think he's a rapper. He is trying wayy to hard at portraying an image of the Lions being tough. He's bought into the hype and doesn't know how to control it. I think its just a sign of immaturity, especially since he's not accepting responsibility and giving stupid excuses. I don't think its the real him... was there any evidence of this at Nebraska? The Lions are young and talented, but are probably lacking leadership. Suspend Suh for 3 games without pay and call it a wrap.

At least 3 games.........what a *****!

Double Barrel
11-25-2011, 04:05 PM

Defensive linemen have tricks up their sleeves, as well. That's part of life in the trenches.

Cut blocking is a legal technique in the NFL. Suh had better learn to control himself, because the spotlight is now on him and he could cost his team big time.

The1ApplePie
11-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Defensive linemen have tricks up their sleeves, as well. That's part of life in the trenches.

Cut blocking is a legal technique in the NFL. Suh had better learn to control himself, because the spotlight is now on him and he could cost his team big time.

A good kick to the side of an o-lineman's head when he misses a cut block is a fun one. Jared Allen does this alot but gets away with it but hiding it well.

Olshansky got ejected a few years ago from rabbit punching a Bronco that went after his knee on a QB kneel.

The Broncos o-linemen under Shanahan were the dirtiest players in the NFL for years. Thankfully Kubes didn't bring that to the Texans. I don't remember Texans trying to intentionally cripple somebody.

gg no re
11-26-2011, 02:40 AM
I don't remember Texans trying to intentionally cripple somebody.

Technically, Bernard Pollard destroyed Wes Welker's knee with a simple medusian glare.

ObsiWan
11-26-2011, 04:15 AM
Technically, Bernard Pollard destroyed Wes Welker's knee with a simple medusian glare.

I thought that was
http://actionallstars.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/turfmonster1.png?w=204&h=275 (http://actionallstars.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/turfmonster1.png)
the Turf Monster

drunkcookie
11-26-2011, 09:48 AM
Someone hinted at it and i agree: I also think Suh may be buying into the hype, and trying to push a tougher image further along...

Then again, maybe he's just that big of a whiner/baby, or maybe it's all of the above?...

I'm not going to throw out that "thug" word so loosely, because it's not like he beat the OL over the head with a pipe-wrench, then stole his wallet... Dude gets heated then takes out his frustration after the play... Use it on the next one...

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using Tapakeg

GP
11-26-2011, 11:49 AM
At least 3 games.........what a *****!

I'm in the "3-game suspension" crowd, as well.

If this was the player's first time of excessive behavior, probably just a fine.

But the guy is a repeat offender. One game is a vacation, an extra bye week and only one paycheck out of his pocket. THREE games is a strict warning that the next time he's likely gone for the year. It sends a message.

Personally, it looked like he was so amped up to being playing a meaningful game vs. the Lions' longtime divisional rival that he forgot himself for a moment. Still, it warrants more than a one-game suspension IMO.

I bet Roger Goodell's blood was boiling when he saw that happen on the field. Nationally televised game on Thanksgiving, and there's a great up-and-coming player (Suh) stomping a guy's arm.

The only worse thing that could have happened is if the stomp had landed perfectly so as to snap the guy's arm. It was a close call, actually.

GlassHalfFull
11-26-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm in the "3-game suspension" crowd, as well.

If this was the player's first time of excessive behavior, probably just a fine.

But the guy is a repeat offender. One game is a vacation, an extra bye week and only one paycheck out of his pocket. THREE games is a strict warning that the next time he's likely gone for the year. It sends a message.

Personally, it looked like he was so amped up to being playing a meaningful game vs. the Lions' longtime divisional rival that he forgot himself for a moment. Still, it warrants more than a one-game suspension IMO.

I bet Roger Goodell's blood was boiling when he saw that happen on the field. Nationally televised game on Thanksgiving, and there's a great up-and-coming player (Suh) stomping a guy's arm.

The only worse thing that could have happened is if the stomp had landed perfectly so as to snap the guy's arm. It was a close call, actually.

Add me in to the 3 game crowd.

Huge black eye for the Lions, big national audience.

In addition, the thing that makes me think Goodell will come down hard is he had a face to face with Suh over what Suh needed to do to be "legal". I don't see this going over well.

GP
11-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Add me in to the 3 game crowd.

Huge black eye for the Lions, big national audience.

In addition, the thing that makes me think Goodell will come down hard is he had a face to face with Suh over what Suh needed to do to be "legal". I don't see this going over well.

Well, now I'm not so sure that Goodell will do ANYTHING at all.

The following is from a thread on the flex schedule over in the TexansTalk forum (with my reply below it):

The NFL announced Tuesday that the Dec.4 Sunday night game will be Lions @ Saints.

Ah, so I bet Suh won't get a suspension then.

Business before ethics, ftw. No way Goodell sends the Lions into the Superdome without Suh on the field.

steelbtexan
11-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Suh plays football the old fashioned way. Intense and borderline dirty, he takes care of his business on the field. He doesn't fit with Goodells new mamby pamby NFL.

With that said 2/3 games seems appropiate.

2BCF
11-26-2011, 01:26 PM
I didn't see the game, but just saw the vid on youtube.
From reading this thread, I expected something much worse.
Yes it was stupid, but it didn't even faze the GB player.
IMO, it doesn't come close to fat albert's stomp.

The1ApplePie
11-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Suh plays football the old fashioned way. Intense and borderline dirty, he takes care of his business on the field. He doesn't fit with Goodells new mamby pamby NFL.

Correct about Roger Goodell. He places too many rules for "player safety" reasons when its really just to help the offense. Casual fans, housewives, and fantasy football nerds don't want defense, they want A-Rog to throw for 300 yards and 5 TDs.

Defensive players still get their knees targeted, still get ear-holed on traps, and basically can't cover a guy without getting pass interference.

BigBull17
11-28-2011, 12:00 PM

Borderline dirty? There is a difference in chippy, and full blown stomping a guy because youre mad he knocked you down. Post play stomps aren't old school, there bush leauge. I was a huge fan of his, but know I wish someone would blow his knee up. Or stomp on him.