PDA

View Full Version : QB Matt Schaub going on IR. Texans signing QB Kellen Clemens.

Heath Shuler
11-23-2011, 10:57 AM
QB Matt Schaub going on IR. Texans signing QB Kellen Clemens.

from Mark Berman twitter

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nfl/111123-texans-kellen-clemens

welsh texan
11-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Probably the best move for the team, say you rush Schaub back to play in the first playoff game, how the hell can you start him over the guy who's managed to get your team over the line, given that he's going to be rusty as hell and probably not 100% healthy?

76Texan
11-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Looks like they like TY Yates!?!

Kaiser Toro
11-23-2011, 11:07 AM
This means no Schaub in the post season either.

MojoMan
11-23-2011, 11:07 AM
John McClain confirms the signing:

Texans place Schaub on injured reserve, sign Clemens as 3rd QB (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2011/11/texans-sign-clemens-to-be-3rd-qb-behind-leinart-yates/)

The Texans signed veteran quarterback Kellen Clemens today.

Of the five quarterbacks who worked out Monday, Clemens was the most likely candidate to be signed because he knows coach Gary Kubiak’s system. Clemens, a former second-round pick by the New York Jets, spent camp and preseason with the Washington Redskins. With coach Mike Shanahan and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, the Redskins run the same system as the Texans run.

The Texans signed Clemens over Jeff Garcia, Trent Edwards, Brodie Croyle and Chase Clement.

Matt Leinart starts against Jacksonville in place of the injured Matt Schaub, who was placed on injured reserve. Rookie T.J. Yates will be the backup. Clemens will run the scout team until he proves to the coaches he’s ready to be elevated into the backup role in place of Yates.

kiwitexansfan
11-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Really hope Clemens never needs to Don his helmet....... Ever.

houstonspartan
11-23-2011, 11:13 AM
The dude's Wikipedia page has already been updated showing him as a member of the Houston Texans!

Good grief! Do some people sit around all day and automatically update Wiki pages, or something?

disaacks3
11-23-2011, 11:15 AM
This means no Schaub in the post season either.

Given what Cloak had said, he won't be ready to play until well AFTER the season is over.

El Tejano
11-23-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm trying to figure out why we signed Clemens though. Seems to me as the one that needed the most work. At least Matt L. can know now that if he plays well, he's also going to get to play in the playoffs.

GP
11-23-2011, 11:18 AM
John Clayton said Clemens to be QB2, but I think it would be more likely that the report Mojoman posted (Stating Yates is QB2 and Clemens QB3) is more reliable.

Makes more sense, obviously, to have Yates as QB2 until Clemens grasps our own playcalls. The system is the same, but the terminology is different.

I think Clayton was saying Orton will make a bit over $2 million with whatever new team he signs with. I am assuming the salary cap played a bit of a factor in not pursuing Orton.

We've got a QB3 now, so let's hope Leinart handles the offense well enough AND that QB2 and QB3 do not have to hit the field unless it's garbage time.

The Pencil Neck
11-23-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm trying to figure out why we signed Clemens though. Seems to me as the one that needed the most work. At least Matt L. can know now that if he plays well, he's also going to get to play in the playoffs.

Why? He's the guy that spent the pre-season in Washington and so he's got a head-start on our system over the rest of the guys.

Clements seemed to me like the guy with the most outside shot. I wouldn't be surprised if we sign him to the PS.

76Texan
11-23-2011, 11:19 AM
John McClain confirms the signing:

Of the five quarterbacks who worked out Monday, Clemens was the most likely candidate to be signed because he knows coach Gary Kubiak’s system. Clemens, a former second-round pick by the New York Jets, spent camp and preseason with the Washington Redskins. With coach Mike Shanahan and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, the Redskins run the same system as the Texans run.

Who did the Redskins have such that they cut Clemens?

Kaiser Toro
11-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Given what Cloak had said, he won't be ready to play until well AFTER the season is over.

Cloak ain't been wrong from a medical standpoint, but this designation removes any doubt.

GP
11-23-2011, 11:24 AM

Yeah, isn't there like almost a full year involved? Seems like that's what I heard.

Texans need to go QB in round 1, period. I don't care if you think you get a guy in round 2. You go round 1 to make sure you get a round 2 (or later) guy.

With this defense, with this offense, and with Schaub being gone for a long, long time...you need to identify a college QB you think can be the future here. This isn't a Matt Schaub "Hate Parade" here, it's just common sense and logic.

Maddict5
11-23-2011, 11:28 AM

how dare you imply this min level FA qb we picked up in week 12 mightn't be much good?!! :panic:

The Pencil Neck
11-23-2011, 11:28 AM

Dude.

Beck and Grossman!

So it's not like he lost out to scrubs... oh... wait...

Maddict5
11-23-2011, 11:29 AM
With this defense, with this offense, and with Schaub being gone for a long, long time...you need to identify a college QB you think can be the future here. This isn't a Matt Schaub "Hate Parade" here, it's just common sense and logic.

how about we let leinart throw one pass first

76Texan
11-23-2011, 11:30 AM
how dare you imply this min level FA qb we picked up in week 12 mightn't be much good?!! :panic:

Dude.

Beck and Grossman!

So it's not like he lost out to scrubs... oh... wait...

:spit:

Oh snap!

GP
11-23-2011, 11:37 AM
how about we let leinart throw one pass first

Leinart could become Tom Brady, Jr. for all I care...but he can get hurt just like Schaub did. Poof, Leinart's gone. What do you do THEN?

Do you therefore go find Kellen Clemens-type street free agents??? No way, Jose.

Draft him, and draft early. He doesn't have to be Superman...he just needs to have the stuff Kubiak likes to see in his QBs.

TimeKiller
11-23-2011, 11:37 AM
I would've picked up Chase Clement for the story, didn't he go to Rice?

I mean whoever is the 3rd QB getting signed 11 weeks into the season...if they're getting meaningful snaps we're toast anyway. Same for Kellen Clemens. If he's really about to oust TJ Yates back to the scout team then ol' boy needs to be cut anyway. Depth is for players who actually have a shot at being successful, much like Leinart.

The Pencil Neck
11-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Leinart could become Tom Brady, Jr. for all I care...but he can get hurt just like Schaub did. Poof, Leinart's gone. What do you do THEN?

Do you therefore go find Kellen Clemens-type street free agents??? No way, Jose.

Draft him, and draft early. He doesn't have to be Superman...he just needs to have the stuff Kubiak likes to see in his QBs.

We may already have the guy with Yates.

76Texan
11-23-2011, 11:43 AM

We may already have the guy with Yates.

Also, if Schaub doesn't come back 100%, he can still be a very good back-up since he already has "all the stuffs Kubiak likes to see in his QBs".

Texan_Bill
11-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Sign SAGE!!

:runaway:

Corrosion
11-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Looks like they like TY Yates!?!

Yes , Gary really likes Yates potential and thinks he could eventually become a solid starter in the league.
The fact they didnt go after one of the veteran QB's available should tell you a whole lot about their belief in both Yates and Leinart.

John Clayton said Clemens to be QB2, but I think it would be more likely that the report Mojoman posted (Stating Yates is QB2 and Clemens QB3) is more reliable.

Makes more sense, obviously, to have Yates as QB2 until Clemens grasps our own playcalls. The system is the same, but the terminology is different.

I think Clayton was saying Orton will make a bit over $2 million with whatever new team he signs with. I am assuming the salary cap played a bit of a factor in not pursuing Orton.

We've got a QB3 now, so let's hope Leinart handles the offense well enough AND that QB2 and QB3 do not have to hit the field unless it's garbage time.

Yates will be the #2 and Clemens likely the scout team QB which is what Yates has done thus far.

No way Clemens coms in and takes the #2 spot from Yates not knowing the offense. Yates has earned the opportunity with his preperation all season long that according to Gary.

Hervoyel
11-23-2011, 11:55 AM
The dude's Wikipedia page has already been updated showing him as a member of the Houston Texans!

Good grief! Do some people sit around all day and automatically update Wiki pages, or something?

Come on now, if you checked it and found it missing that bit of information wouldn't you have updated it? I would.

Hervoyel
11-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Yeah, isn't there like almost a full year involved? Seems like that's what I heard.

Texans need to go QB in round 1, period. I don't care if you think you get a guy in round 2. You go round 1 to make sure you get a round 2 (or later) guy.

If Leinart does well he might very well be starting come opening day.

I'm not saying this is going to necessarily happen, just that this is exactly the kind of situation where things like this happen.

Porky
11-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Well that sucks. Not unexpected but still sucks. I told a few people right after the last game that not only were the Texans playoff contenders but they were real super bowl contenders. That is very likely down the drain, but we should still make the playoffs pending the play of Leinart who I am not sold on.

I don't think it takes Matt S a full year, but who knows. I tend to think he is at or near 100% before camp rolls around. Pushing the panic button now is a little weird to say the least. Even I say let's give Matt L a chance to prove his doubters wrong.

Doppelganger
11-23-2011, 12:04 PM

Will he be ready to go by the time of the draft?

disaacks3
11-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Well that sucks. Not unexpected but still sucks. I told a few people right after the last game that not only were the Texans playoff contenders but they were real super bowl contenders. That is very likely down the drain, but we should still make the playoffs pending the play of Leinart who I am not sold on.

I don't think it takes Matt S a full year, but who knows. I tend to think he is at or near 100% before camp rolls around. Pushing the panic button now is a little weird to say the least. Even I say let's give Matt L a chance to prove his doubters wrong. That's where I'm at. I figure we can limp into the playoff with Hot Tub Matt, but we're finished once the "real" season starts.

Will he be ready to go by the time of the draft? Given what I've heard, I strongly doubt it. I'm thinking (if we're lucky), Schaub might be ready to go by regular-season next year.

HJam72
11-23-2011, 12:12 PM

Yes! :foottap:

:jk:

ObsiWan
11-23-2011, 12:20 PM
I would've picked up Chase Clement for the story, didn't he go to Rice?

I mean whoever is the 3rd QB getting signed 11 weeks into the season...if they're getting meaningful snaps we're toast anyway. Same for Kellen Clemens. If he's really about to oust TJ Yates back to the scout team then ol' boy needs to be cut anyway. Depth is for players who actually have a shot at being successful, much like Leinart.

Word is Clemens will run the scout team until he shows he's up to speed on our offense.

Maddict5
11-23-2011, 12:54 PM
haha smh at the doofus reporter that asked kubiak after practice if schaub could be back for the playoffs after kubiak had talked about surgery & IR etc

ObsiWan
11-23-2011, 12:56 PM

Soooo you don't think Yates is that guy...??
The main reason Clements was picked up was as insurance for the rest of this year.

For the record, I'm for upgrading our "QB of the Future" myself. Unlike some others, I didn't see anything in Yates this preseason to make me think he's worthy of being Schaub's heir-apparent. I would be pleased if they used a 3rd or 4th for a QB. I'd rather use our 1st or 2nd pick on someone who has a chance to start; preferably a WR to challenge J.J. or K.W. or a NT that will challenge Cody for his spot.

But that's a different conversation; better discussed in the mock draft threads.

This conversation is about the present, not the future. This conversation concerns quality of Leinart's backups in case they're needed THIS year.

GuerillaBlack
11-23-2011, 12:57 PM

If I were the Texans, it would depend on how Leinart does. If he goes all USC this season, including the playoffs, then that's our QB. Draft a stud WR in the first round if that is the case and then trade Schaub.

TexansFanatic
11-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Anyone looked at Clemens stats yet?

Yikes!

My first thought was: Why did they even bother signing this guy?

But then, what the hell do I know....

From 2006 through 2010
25 games played
147 completions
284 attempts
51.8%
1,686 yeards
5.94 ypa
5 TDs
11 Ints
5 fumbles
59.7 rating

Texan_Bill
11-23-2011, 01:24 PM

Yikes!

From 2006 through 2010
25 games played
147 completions
284 attempts
51.8%
1,686 yeards
5.94 ypa
5 TDs 56
11 Ints
5 fumbles
59.7 rating

To run the scout team. Don't need a world beater for that.

Playoffs
11-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Well, we're gonna to dance with the ones we brung to the party ... I like that.

Yep.

CND is DA MAN! (at least since Tiger imploded) :fingergun:

TejasTom
11-23-2011, 01:30 PM

Yikes!

From 2006 through 2010
25 games played
147 completions
284 attempts
51.8%
1,686 yeards
5.94 ypa
5 TDs 56
11 Ints
5 fumbles
59.7 rating

Wow a 3.2:1 turn over to td ratio.

ObsiWan
11-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Sign SAGE!!

you betta run

:lol:

TimeKiller
11-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Word is Clemens will run the scout team until he shows he's up to speed on our offense.

I meant Yates. If he gets knocked down by some scrub who couldn't make it onto a team until week 11? That's enough writing on the wall for me.

The Pencil Neck
11-23-2011, 01:52 PM
If I were the Texans, it would depend on how Leinart does. If he goes all USC this season, including the playoffs, then that's our QB. Draft a stud WR in the first round if that is the case and then trade Schaub.

Let's wait and see how Leinart looks but my basic plan for the upcoming draft is:

Draft a stud WR in the first round. Draft a stud ILB in the second. BPA after that.

This assumes that Schaub and/or Leinart are going to be good and available for the next few years.

ObsiWan
11-23-2011, 01:55 PM
I meant Yates. If he gets knocked down by some scrub who couldn't make it onto a team until week 11? That's enough writing on the wall for me.

That takes us back to GP's point about picking up a quality "QB of the Future" in the upcoming draft. If Yates can't hold his 2nd string spot over a guy who's been sitting at home most of the year, then wouldn't be surprised even a little bit if we drafted a Yates replacement unit in April 2012.

Oh and someone remind me, aren't both Schaub and Leinart under contract thru next year...?? I don't remember...

Señor Stan
11-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Sign SAGE!!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/senorstan/sage.jpg

To be more accurate you could just use the first letter of his name and make a helicopter movement.

BullNation4Life
11-23-2011, 03:18 PM
That takes us back to GP's point about picking up a quality "QB of the Future" in the upcoming draft. If Yates can't hold his 2nd string spot over a guy who's been sitting at home most of the year, then wouldn't be surprised even a little bit if we drafted a Yates replacement unit in April 2012.

Oh and someone remind me, aren't both Schaub and Leinart under contract thru next year...?? I don't remember...

Schaub I thought was done this year and Leinart done next year

badboy
11-23-2011, 03:26 PM

Oh and someone remind me, aren't both Schaub and Leinart under contract thru next year...?? I don't remember...7/29/2011: Signed a two-year, $5.5 million contract. The deal includes $3.75 million guaranteed. 2011-2012: Under Contract, 2013: Free Agent
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3138/matt-leinart

3/21/2007: Signed a six-year, $48 million contract. The deal included a $7 million signing bonus and a $10 million option in the fourth season. 2011: $5.7 million, 2012: $7.15 million, 2013: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/16/matt-schaub

ObsiWan
11-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Let's wait and see how Leinart looks but my basic plan for the upcoming draft is:

Draft a stud WR in the first round. Draft a stud ILB in the second. BPA after that.

This assumes that Schaub and/or Leinart are going to be good and available for the next few years.

Excellent plan. I'm totally with you.

False Start
11-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Apparently Fat Ass Albert feels no remorse! I F'in hate that dude. :cutthroat:

Texans quarterback Matt Schaub can blame Albert Haynesworth for ending his 2011 season. In his first game with the Buccaneers on Nov. 13, the beefy defensive tackle landed on Schaub’s foot. Schaub was placed on injured reserve on Wednesday.

With the Titans, Haynesworth injured Schaub at least twice when he tackled him. On Wednesday, in a conference call with Tennessee reporters, Haynesworth said: “You know me, I love to hit Schaub.”

Asked about landing on Schaub’s foot, Haynesworth had no trouble recalling the play: “It was on the goal-line. He actually screamed like normal in the pile.”

Link (http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/2011/11/23/haynesworth-recalls-play-that-injured-schaub-well/)

NitroGSXR
11-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Matt Leinart, TJ Gates, and Kellen Clemmens... CHAMPIONSHIP!!

LOL.

TexansFanatic
11-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Apparently Fat Ass Albert feels no remorse! I F'in hate that dude. :cutthroat:
Link (http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/2011/11/23/haynesworth-recalls-play-that-injured-schaub-well/)

Mark my words----karma's going to be a ***** for Fat Albert. I guarantee you that dude's going to blow through all his cash and will wind up in prison for spousal abuse and possession of rock.

False Start
11-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Mark my words----karma's going to be a ***** for Fat Albert. I guarantee you that dude's going to blow through all his cash and will wind up in prison for spousal abuse and possession of rock.

Indeed, dude is trash.

thunderkyss
11-23-2011, 04:52 PM

This is all worst case scenario....... CnD hasn't seen Schaub's scans, so he was only guessing.

Schaub going to IR confirms the worse.

thunderkyss
11-23-2011, 04:56 PM

Kyle's terminology is Kubiak's terminology, which is Mike Shanahan's terminology.

Kellen having to prove himself is probably related to him being cut by Washington before the season & opting to go with Grossman & Beck. He may not be able to grasp the system...... may need more time...... maybe Kubiak & Knapp needs to give him some TLC....

thunderkyss
11-23-2011, 05:00 PM

I don't know about common sense & logic.

We've got Leinart signed through next season & we still haven't seen how Yates has done with his "studies"

I'll trust the coaches/GM on this one. I'd at least wait until we see Leinart in action before moving QB up to round 1.

Pantherstang84
11-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Indeed, dude is trash.

Folks need to quit crying about Fat Albert. What happened, happened. Can't change it or do anything about it now. Just have to keep on keeping on and continue to roll.

The Pencil Neck
11-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Kyle's terminology is Kubiak's terminology, which is Mike Shanahan's terminology.

Kellen having to prove himself is probably related to him being cut by Washington before the season & opting to go with Grossman & Beck. He may not be able to grasp the system...... may need more time...... maybe Kubiak & Knapp needs to give him some TLC....

You know that Kubes probably called up the Shannies and asked about Clemens. If they had any serious doubts about the guy, we probably wouldn't have signed him.

OTOH. He wasn't good enough to unseat Beck and Grossman.

OTOOH. His stat line wasn't that much worse than Beck's was.

SAMURAITEXAN
11-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Matt Leinart, TJ Gates, and Kellen Clemmens... CHAMPIONSHIP!!

LOL.

It's Yates Nitro lol

Go Texans!!!

False Start
11-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Folks need to quit crying about Fat Albert. What happened, happened. Can't change it or do anything about it now. Just have to keep on keeping on and continue to roll.

You wont see me shed a tear. I saw the story, thought it was f'ed up, and shared my opinion. That's it.

disaacks3
11-23-2011, 05:32 PM
This is all worst case scenario....... CnD hasn't seen Schaub's scans, so he was only guessing.

Schaub going to IR confirms the worse. A very, VERY educated guess, based on the information that HAS been released.

Worst case is he never plays again, or he's not ready until the middle of next season. I was being OPTimistic. :spin:

gary
11-23-2011, 05:38 PM
I just hope Leinart does well and the new number two never plays. You just roll with who you have.

NitroGSXR
11-23-2011, 05:39 PM
It's Yates Nitro lol

Go Texans!!!

I'm mobile. Damned auto-correct.

NitroGSXR
11-23-2011, 05:44 PM
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/senorstan/sage.jpg

To be more accurate you could just use the first letter of his name and make a helicopter movement.

R-E-P!!!

We actually sign his name with an R while extending the thumb. Its a heli with a broken blade... Rosencopter. No shit.

Thorn
11-23-2011, 06:09 PM
I ****ing hate Fat Albert. I still think he did it on purpose. ****ing bastard.

gary
11-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Is there a video of that play? I missed the game because my stupid power went out that morning.

CretorFrigg
11-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Watch Matt Leinart play lights out. I'm hoping and being optimistic. Don't ruin it for me.

Pantherstang84
11-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Watch Matt Leinart play lights out. I'm hoping and being optimistic. Don't ruin it for me.

I'm with ya. It is the only thing we can hope for at this point.

Thorn
11-23-2011, 07:01 PM

Yep. That's exactly what we all are thinking right now.

GP
11-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Soooo you don't think Yates is that guy...??
The main reason Clements was picked up was as insurance for the rest of this year.

For the record, I'm for upgrading our "QB of the Future" myself. Unlike some others, I didn't see anything in Yates this preseason to make me think he's worthy of being Schaub's heir-apparent. I would be pleased if they used a 3rd or 4th for a QB. I'd rather use our 1st or 2nd pick on someone who has a chance to start; preferably a WR to challenge J.J. or K.W. or a NT that will challenge Cody for his spot.

But that's a different conversation; better discussed in the mock draft threads.

This conversation is about the present, not the future. This conversation concerns quality of Leinart's backups in case they're needed THIS year.

You guys do know that Schaub needs almost an entire YEAR after the surgery, right? We're looking, potentially, at Schaub not even being active for the Texans in 2012...unless we see him rushed back before he's ready.

For me, and you guys can throw all your eggs into the Matt Leinart basket if you want, but I'm not. Because even if he DOES do a decent job, he's going to be the QB1 in 2012 with every snap of the football being a potential injury that puts him on the bench just like Schaub is right now.

IMO, this offense and this defense is to the point that it needs a steady supply of competent QBs to avoid wasting what's been built. I grant you this: WR is a big need, on my end, but I too don't want to talk about other draft needs here.

I want Leinart to succeed, it makes obvious sense that we ALL do. I just really am already starting to wonder about QB prospects for next year, it has to be a huge need for us. IMO.

GP
11-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Yep. That's exactly what we all are thinking right now.

It's pretty much my only Christmas wish this year.

Dear Santa,

For Christmas this year...I want Matt Leinart to play so stoopidly awesome that faces are melted and pants are shat in.

That is all.

Love,

GP (Who has been a VERY good boy this year, btw)

steelbtexan
11-23-2011, 11:08 PM

If Leinhart doesn;t work out and Schaub cant make it back by the start season, or make a trade for Flynn. then I would try to trade MW for a 1st rd pick. Then try to trade those picks and if needed a 2012 1st rd pick to get into the top 4 and pick either Barkley or RG3.

That's the cost of a franchise QB. It would be well worth it IMHO. Imagine a better Vick or Cutler/Stafford.

Sorry didn't want to turn this into a draft thread.

ObsiWan
11-24-2011, 12:36 AM
If Leinhart doesn;t work out and Schaub cant make it back by the start season, or make a trade for Flynn. then I would try to trade MW for a 1st rd pick. Then try to trade those picks and if needed a 2012 1st rd pick to get into the top 4 and pick either Barkley or RG3.

That's the cost of a franchise QB. It would be well worth it IMHO. Imagine a better Vick or Cutler/Stafford.

What experience does Flynn have in our type of offense? GB runs a spread offense; that's not exactly what we do. What makes you think he'd be a good fit here?

Using CnnnD's worse case timeline, Schaub should be back by October - 6 months healing time + 6 months to rehab back up to full strength. You sure you want to mortgage the future - I'm talking about what you'd have to spend to get a top five pick - when Schaub should be back with only 5 or 6 games gone in the season. And that's worse case. Best case, he could be back by training camp.

I dunno. Sounds too expensive to me.

The Pencil Neck
11-24-2011, 12:46 PM

Schaub will probably be out for next season. IF Leinart flops, then obviously QB becomes our top priority with WR second on the list.

You've got Luck, Barkley, and RGIII going in the top 10. All three of those guys will probably be gone by Miami's pick. So we need to move up to about 6-7, not all the way up into the top 4. (Gawd, I'd love to get RGIII.) But then you've got the second tier guys: Landry Jones, Tannehill, Cousins.

Instead of going top 5, we might go second tier. Get the WR in the first round and the QB in the second much like the Bengals did.

I'm just not sure we're going to need to sell the farm to get up into the top 4 draft picks to get the guy we need.

ObsiWan
11-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Schaub will probably be out for next season. IF Leinart flops, then obviously QB becomes our top priority with WR second on the list.

You've got Luck, Barkley, and RGIII going in the top 10. All three of those guys will probably be gone by Miami's pick. So we need to move up to about 6-7, not all the way up into the top 4. (Gawd, I'd love to get RGIII.) But then you've got the second tier guys: Landry Jones, Tannehill, Cousins.

Instead of going top 5, we might go second tier. Get the WR in the first round and the QB in the second much like the Bengals did.

I'm just not sure we're going to need to sell the farm to get up into the top 4 draft picks to get the guy we need.

I would like to know what the early "big board" looks like for the Texans.... just what positions do they see as needing an upgrade and is drafting a QB early in the draft day planning.

Kubiak shouldn't be thinking about this right now, but Rick Smith and the scouting dept. ought to be.

thunderkyss
11-24-2011, 07:04 PM
I would like to know what the early "big board" looks like for the Texans.... just what positions do they see as needing an upgrade and is drafting a QB early in the draft day planning.

Kubiak shouldn't be thinking about this right now, but Rick Smith and the scouting dept. ought to be.

Even if I were Rick Smith, I wouldn't let our present situation cloud my judgement. I'm just grading players, looking for the best of the best. We've still got 10 games before we need to determine our biggest need & how the draft order is going to shake out.

Then there is free agency on top of all that

Thorn
11-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Even if I were Rick Smith, I wouldn't let our present situation cloud my judgement. I'm just grading players, looking for the best of the best. We've still got 10 games before we need to determine our biggest need & how the draft order is going to shake out.

The Texans don't have much wiggle room in the Cap department, so I'm thinking unless a big salary or two get dumped or traded, there won't be a lot of free agency signings of expensive talent.

The Pencil Neck
11-24-2011, 09:02 PM

Yeah, when I was writing my post, I took a quick look for the FA's going into next season but couldn't find the list and didn't want to spend a lot of time tracking it down. If our QB spot becomes a dilemma, we might go to that well so that we get someone experienced who can help us win immediately instead of taking a risk on drafting a "franchise" QB in the first couple of rounds.

b0ng
11-24-2011, 09:16 PM

Meh, that entirely depends on who is available at the spot. I'll be really pissed off if Luck, Barkley, and Griffin is gone and they waste a first on some guy like Tannehill or Keenum or Foles (Just throwing out names) just so they can "get a QB in the first".

If a guy like Barkley or Griffin is available at a spot that wouldn't kill our draft to trade up to sure, but I would hate the idea of them reaching on another position in the late first. Duane Brown has worked out, but Kareem Jackson and Amobi Okoye most certainly have not worked out up until this point.

CloakNNNdagger
11-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Yeah, when I was writing my post, I took a quick look for the FA's going into next season but couldn't find the list and didn't want to spend a lot of time tracking it down. If our QB spot becomes a dilemma, we might go to that well so that we get someone experienced who can help us win immediately instead of taking a risk on drafting a "franchise" QB in the first couple of rounds.

Here was a list as of a couple of weeks ago:

Quarterbacks:

Richard Bartel – ARI (R)
Chris Redman ATL
Jake Delhomme - CLE
Kyle Orton - DEN
Brady Quinn – DEN
Shaun Hill - DET
Matt Flynn – GB
Tyler Palko – KC (R)
Chad Henne – MIA
Brian Hoyer – NE (R)
Chase Daniel – NO (R)
Drew Brees – NO
Sage Rosenfels - NYG
Mark Brunell – NYJ
Kevin O’Connell – NYJ (R)
Jason Campbell - OAK
Charlie Batch – PIT
Byron Leftwich – PIT
Charlie Whitehurst – SEA
David Carr – SF
A.J. Feeley - STL
Josh Johnson – TB
Vince Young – PHI

Some are obviously already off the list.

ObsiWan
11-25-2011, 10:22 AM

I'm sure they're busy grading players, finding the best of the best at each and every position. The question is how does the present situ change the way team needs are weighted against those grades? Two weeks ago, QB wasn't a team need for most of us fans (Schaub doubters not withstanding); getting a stud NT or a deep threat WR to go with AJ was at the top of the list.

That's all changed now. I just wonder how the "need list" has changed for Smith and his crew.

Oh and I saw what you did with the 10 games left thing - that puts us into the Super Bowl.
:D
That means Leinart did a "decent" to "damned good" job keeping the offense running efficiently.

steelbtexan
11-25-2011, 12:26 PM
What experience does Flynn have in our type of offense? GB runs a spread offense; that's not exactly what we do. What makes you think he'd be a good fit here?

Using CnnnD's worse case timeline, Schaub should be back by October - 6 months healing time + 6 months to rehab back up to full strength. You sure you want to mortgage the future - I'm talking about what you'd have to spend to get a top five pick - when Schaub should be back with only 5 or 6 games gone in the season. And that's worse case. Best case, he could be back by training camp.

I dunno. Sounds too expensive to me.

McCarthy has always been a WC guy. He learned under Holmgren. He has implemented part of the spead to his offense. But the WC is the foundation of the Packer offense.

Trading up in the draft or for Flynn, while very expensive isnt mortgaging the future it's investing in the future. If you really believe n Barkley or RG3 are going to great and your franchise QB that can win you a SB. (which I do) Then letting MW walk and using those picks to draft your franchise QB is a small price to pay.

I mean what draft picks would you give up to get Rodgers? I think the Bears gave up two 1sts, 2 thirds and a 5th to trade for Cutler. They made the NFC championship game last yr. So it was worth it. IMHO

Then you use MW's $$$$ to fill the other holes in FA. Kinda like the Bears did.

GP
11-25-2011, 12:29 PM
I'll be watching THIS guy from here on out. I like his toughness, his ability to take a hit but still deliver the ball on time and on target...and then to scrape himself up off the turf and do it all over again on the next snap.

Just don't know if he'll come out as a Junior, or stay one more year.

Keep Your Eye on #8 Today vs. LSU... (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/382642/tyler-wilson)

ChampionTexan
11-25-2011, 01:35 PM
McCarthy has always been a WC guy. He learned under Holmgren. He has implemented part of the spead to his offense. But the WC is the foundation of the Packer offense.

McCarthy's never even been on the same staff as Holmgren. Probably the coach that had the most impact on his offensive philosophy was Paul Hackett - who he coached under both at the University of Pittsburgh (3 years), and with the Chiefs (5 years). Interestingly, he has never been an assistant on an NFL staff who had a HC with an offensive background (Schottenheimer in KC (93-98), Rhodes in Green Bay (99), Haslett in New Orleans (00-04), and Nolan in San Fran (05).

steelbtexan
11-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Could've sworn he was on the same staff as Holmgrem. My bad

Hackett was a WC guy also.

HOU-TEX
12-06-2011, 02:57 PM
The Clemons experiment is now over.

Texans have waived QB Kellen Clemens and placed P Brett Hartmann on injured reserve.

McGobbler's tweet

XI CMURDER IX
12-06-2011, 02:59 PM
The Clemons experiment is now over.

McGobbler's tweet

Possible set up for McNabb? Or just to make space for a wide receiver? They also put Hartmann on IR to free up a spot for a punter.

Which means that they will either get another QB or a WR to replace AJ for this week.

GlassHalfFull
12-06-2011, 03:02 PM
McClain_on_NFL John McClain
Texans are going to sign Jeff Garcia as their third QB. They want 2 veterans behind rookie T.J. Yates. Jake Delhomme signed last week.

BigBull17
12-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Texans are going to sign Jeff Garcia as their third QB. They want 2 veterans behind rookie T.J. Yates. Jake Delhomme signed last week.

Wow. Thats very random

HOU-TEX
12-06-2011, 03:11 PM
That's about 25 years of experience backing up young Mr. Yates. Couldn't do anything but help, I reckon.

Thorn
12-06-2011, 03:17 PM
That's about 25 years of experience backing up young Mr. Yates. Couldn't do anything but help, I reckon.

They wanted the voice of experience working with Yates on the sidelines. I'm good with Delhomme and Garcia on that. But until Yates proves himself a failed experiment, I want him starting, not those other two.

GlassHalfFull
12-06-2011, 03:35 PM
They wanted the voice of experience working with Yates on the sidelines. I'm good with Delhomme and Garcia on that. But until Yates proves himself a failed experiment, I want him starting, not those other two.

I think that is what is going to happen. I don't see moving away from Yates at this point.

thunderkyss
12-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Possible set up for McNabb? Or just to make space for a wide receiver? They also put Hartmann on IR to free up a spot for a punter.

Which means that they will either get another QB or a WR to replace AJ for this week.

Why would we want another receiver, we still have Mason & Bjohnson, the receivers we signed when Aj went down the first time.

thunderkyss
12-06-2011, 03:58 PM

That's like pouring salt on the wound of all those "sign Farve" guys.

michaelm
12-06-2011, 04:01 PM
That's like pouring salt on the wound of all those "sign Farve" guys.

Good. I hope it burns!

Double Barrel
12-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Good. I hope it burns!

It does...

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/blogs-prod-photos/2/3/5/7/a/2357aa9a13ca345ffeef01450e01421e.jpg?stmp=13104057 14