PDA

View Full Version : QB's working out for Texans this week

djohn2oo8
11-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Jeff Garcia and Trent Edwards are working out for texans with Kellen Clemens and Brody Croyle.

https://twitter.com/#!/McClain_on_NFL/status/138679297400516609

bckey
11-21-2011, 01:14 PM
McClain_on_NFL Jeff Garcia and Trent Edwards are working out for texans with Kellen Clemens and Brody Croyle.

What do you think of these 4 qb's? Do the Texans sign anyone out of this bunch?

TdotTexas2Step
11-21-2011, 01:15 PM
If we MUST sign any of the four, I guess I'd go with Garcia.

Hervoyel
11-21-2011, 01:16 PM
I take Garcia out of that bunch, That's just me though.

JWarren14
11-21-2011, 01:16 PM
The 5 QBs working out for the Texans today: Jeff Garcia, Trent Edwards, Chase Clement, Brody Croyle, Kellen Clemens - Nick Scurfield

bckey
11-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Here is a link to the story now up on the Texans page on chron.com

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/

Ryan
11-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Jeff Garcia at whatever age he's at would still be better than all 4 of those guys combined.

GP
11-21-2011, 01:20 PM
I'd sign Jeff Garcia.

He filled in for Donovan McNabb and actually led the Eagles to a lot of wins.

He's mobile, smart, and older. Before anybody knocks his age, just remember that a little age might be valuable the deeper into the season and the playoffs we get. You want someone who has seen a lot in the NFL.

Besides, the offense we have and the defense we have...you just need reliable, smart QBs who can run the plays and distribute the football efficiently.

Of course, this is just me remembering the Jeff Garcia I saw play for the Eagles several, several years ago. What he does now, in these tryouts, could be a lot less than what Kubiak feels he needs.

All I know is that I am not comfortable with just having TJ Yates as QB2 right now. We need something else at QB2. Period.

Pantherstang84
11-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Does Garcia come with his own supply of Geritol?

El Tejano
11-21-2011, 01:23 PM
I believe we also are probably looking for someone who can run practice offenses too. I'm sure with Yates moving up that leaves no QB to run the practice for the defense to go against.

Ryan
11-21-2011, 01:24 PM
I honestly wish Sage was available as a backup. Can't believe i'm saying those words. :vincepalm:

76Texan
11-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Whoever that is most fit out there on the field!

GP
11-21-2011, 01:27 PM
If we MUST sign any of the four, I guess I'd go with Garcia.

Yep.

Ryan in the other thread, and myself, are thinking the same thing.

He's mobile, smart, and has West Coast offense experience.

ChampionTexan
11-21-2011, 01:28 PM

I agree that he's the best option in terms of talent and familiarity with the basics of our offense (I actually brought his name up on this board last week). The only concern is that in the past, Garcia hasn't been great with the idea of being a backup QB. Here's a blurb from when Oakland released him before the '09 season:

Garcia, who has 116 starts in 10 NFL seasons, signed a one-year contract with Oakland in April and acknowledged then the idea of being a backup was tough to handle, which may have factored into the team's decision to release the 39-year-old quarterback.

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/news/story?id=4449160)

Two years away from the NFL may have mellowed him somewhat, but if they bring him in, he better be crystal clear on what his role will be.

CloakNNNdagger
11-21-2011, 01:29 PM
In the UFL last year, 51% completion rate (255 attempts) with 9 TDs and 11 INTs.

Hervoyel
11-21-2011, 01:33 PM
I agree that he's the best option in terms of talent and familiarity with the basics of our offense (I actually brought his name up on this board last week). The only concern is that in the past, Garcia hasn't been great with the idea of being a backup QB. Here's a blurb from when Oakland released him before the '09 season:

Two years away from the NFL may have mellowed him somewhat, but if they bring him in, he better be crystal clear on what his role will be.

I imagine he will be. 41 year old QB's sitting at home during the 10th week of the season aren't exactly a hot commodity. There's no way he can't not know that. Anyone in his position signing with the Texans is a security blanket to keep Yates from being destroyed. He'll be #2 on the depth chart and stay there unless Leinart just completely unravels and lets face it; If Leinart can't stand 41 year old Jeff Garcia breathing down his neck then he's not going to help us much anyway.

This is a chance to contribute to a playoff run. It's an old timer maybe scoring a ring before he calls it a career. That's what I like about the possibility of signing him. He's not a factor next year at all.

El Tejano
11-21-2011, 01:34 PM

Who was the QB in Oakland back then? I think he felt that way because he felt the guy in front of him wasn't anyone special. Over here, he knows Schaub is going to take his job back.

TexanFan881
11-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Trent Edwards is the only player who intrigues me. Did decent on some pretty bad teams. Then again he was released by the Raiders earlier this year.

El Tejano
11-21-2011, 01:36 PM
In the UFL last year, 51% completion rate (255 attempts) with 9 TDs and 11 INTs.

I saw a few of his games and he was still able to sling it around. What are you going to lose with a 3rd stringer. Honestly if it comes down to.... (I won't say but you know what I wanna say).

Ryan
11-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Who was the QB in Oakland back then? I think he felt that way because he felt the guy in front of him wasn't anyone special. Over here, he knows Schaub is going to take his job back.

Wasn't it still JRuss?

ChampionTexan
11-21-2011, 01:39 PM

The QB was Russell, and it's not the concept of Schaub taking his job back next season (when it's very unlikely that Garcia will be here - even if we do sign him). It's the rest of this season when we have a QB named Leinart starting (who most everyone at this point would characterize as not anyone special).

I have high hopes for Leinart coming in and keeping things on track enough to get to the playoffs, and maybe even have some success. That said, there's absolutely nothing about him that would give anyone a reason to characterize him as special at this particular point in time.

beerlover
11-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Brodie Croyle & Kellen Clemens were drafted in 06 along with Matt Leinart. This was before Rick Smith was GM. Just looking through current Texan roster from this draft besides Leinart, Mario, DeMeco, Winston, Daniels, Texans have added Jonathan Joseph (24th overall) Jason Allen (16th overall) Danieal Manning (42nd overall) Rashad Butler (89th) Lawrence Vickers (180th) & Joel Dreeseen (undrafted).

So if they follow form its between Croyle & Clemens :goodbad:

El Tejano
11-21-2011, 01:42 PM
The QB was Russell, and it's not the concept of Schaub taking his job back next season (when it's very unlikely that Garcia will be here - even if we do sign him). It's the rest of this season when we have a QB named Leinart starting (who most everyone at this point would characterize as not anyone special).

I have high hopes for Leinart coming in and keeping things on track enough to get to the playoffs, and maybe even have some success. That said, there's absolutely nothing about him that would give anyone a reason to characterize him as special at this particular point in time.

But given the circumstance, you have to assume that J. Garcia knows they aint going to run him out there with the team to finish out the season. If Jeff Garcia is smart, he realizes he gets an NFL check to sit the bench, run the opponents offense, and a possibility that he can go out and showcase himself still for a back up spot on any team next season.

b0ng
11-21-2011, 01:43 PM
None of those guys would be starting over Leinart barring injury. I remember seeing Trent Edwards leading the Jags last year and it was really bad.

eriadoc
11-21-2011, 01:46 PM
I'd take Croyle if I had to take one of those. He's the safest pick, IMO. He has the tools to be a caretaker QB and he's been a starter in the NFL before, albeit briefly. A 20-something can get back up from more hits than a 41-yr old with diminishing skills. If you;re down to your 3rd or 4th string QB, safe is a good quality.

NitroGSXR
11-21-2011, 01:53 PM

Who are you referring to?

IDEXAN
11-21-2011, 01:56 PM
I take Garcia out of that bunch, That's just me though. Isn't he drawing SS these days ?

Texan_Bill
11-21-2011, 02:27 PM
I'd sign Garcia if for no other reason except to see his wife up close and personal!

Carmella is pretty strong!

Dutchrudder
11-21-2011, 02:36 PM
The last time Leinart lost his QB job to a late-30's QB it worked out pretty well for that team.

ObsiWan
11-21-2011, 02:58 PM
The last time Leinart lost his QB job to a late-30's QB it worked out pretty well for that team.

Garcia is FORTY-ONE. And two solid years out of football.
Meh...

In fact, they all fit into the "meh" bucket.

then again, what else can you get this time of year. All the good stuff has been picked over.

Thorn
11-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Does Garcia come with his own supply of Geritol?

Insulting old people can have dire effects. Remember, old people can throw their diapers further than babies.

Playoffs
11-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Garcia for me from that group.

Hervoyel
11-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Garcia is FORTY-ONE. And two solid years out of football.
Meh...

In fact, they all fit into the "meh" bucket.

then again, what else can you get this time of year. All the good stuff has been picked over.
He played in the UFL last season I believe. Guy just refuses to quit. Not sure if thats a good thing or not but there it is.

BigBull17
11-21-2011, 06:45 PM
I'd sign Jeff Garcia.

He filled in for Donovan McNabb and actually led the Eagles to a lot of wins.

He's mobile, smart, and older. Before anybody knocks his age, just remember that a little age might be valuable the deeper into the season and the playoffs we get. You want someone who has seen a lot in the NFL.

Besides, the offense we have and the defense we have...you just need reliable, smart QBs who can run the plays and distribute the football efficiently.

Of course, this is just me remembering the Jeff Garcia I saw play for the Eagles several, several years ago. What he does now, in these tryouts, could be a lot less than what Kubiak feels he needs.

All I know is that I am not comfortable with just having TJ Yates as QB2 right now. We need something else at QB2. Period.

I don't knock age when you need a QB off the street in week 11. That's when you get savy Vets. I would only ***** if he was the day one starter.

BigBull17
11-21-2011, 06:46 PM
I honestly wish Sage was available as a backup. Can't believe i'm saying those words. :vincepalm:

**** Sage. If he got in, he would find a way to **** shit up. There comes a time when you can try too hard.

Wolf
11-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Insulting old people can have dire effects. Remember, old people can throw their diapers further than babies.

that is freaking hillarious

:lol: :spit:

TexansFanatic
11-21-2011, 07:08 PM
I'd sign Jeff Garcia..

He's 102 but he refuses to lose (and clearly refuses to quit) and knows the system.

Damn straight---sign that old fart.

Wolf
11-21-2011, 07:10 PM
if Garcia is looking better than the rest at this point...sign him.

we are in the part of the season that is a sprint not a race. (well the whole season is a sprint, but this is the nitty gritty part where home field advantage is coming into play)

EllisUnit
11-21-2011, 07:14 PM
if Garcia is looking better than the rest at this point...sign him.

we are in the part of the season that is a sprint not a race. (well the whole season is a sprint, but this is the nitty gritty part where home field advantage is coming into play)

As good as Foster and tate have been Garcia would die of a hard attack from having to keep running down the field after each foster/tate long run. Poor guy wouldnt make it :kitten:

Wolf
11-21-2011, 07:16 PM
As good as Foster and tate have been Garcia would die of a hard attack from having to keep running down the field after each foster/tate long run. Poor guy wouldnt make it :kitten:

I don't know.. with a wife as good looking as she is.. I bet she keeps him on his toes

TimeKiller
11-21-2011, 07:28 PM
That's a shabby list lol....

I'd rather see TJ Yates than any of them, honestly. If it's down to him the season is probably busted anyway.

thunderkyss
11-21-2011, 07:32 PM
That's a shabby list lol....

I'd rather see TJ Yates than any of them, honestly. If it's down to him the season is probably busted anyway.

I'm thinking the same thing.

Maybe I'd sign one of these guys to fill Schaub's roster spot, but if something happens to Leinart.... I'm sticking the kid in.

CloakNNNdagger
11-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Who are you referring to?

Garcia.

NitroGSXR
11-21-2011, 08:27 PM
I'm thinking the same thing.

Maybe I'd sign one of these guys to fill Schaub's roster spot, but if something happens to Leinart.... I'm sticking the kid in.

Its 7:25. I'm thinking none of the 5 QBs impressed. Practice is over and nobody's been signed.

Wolf
11-21-2011, 08:36 PM
The Texans worked out veterans Jeff Garcia, Trent Edwards, Brodie Croyle and Kellen Clemens, along with former Rice quarterback Chase Clement today. (Scurfield)

Expect the team to sign another QB but there's not a lot of money to spend. According to Mike Florio, the Texans are only $1.9 million under the cap and they have to make that last the rest of the year. Players that go on IR still count against the cap. Jeff Garcia is 41 years old and hasn't seen significant playing time since 2008.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Texans back at work, prepare for Jags - Houston Houston Texans | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/texans-back-at-work-prepare-for-jags#ixzz1eOU6YTwu

mussop
11-21-2011, 08:43 PM
I don't know.. with a wife as good looking as she is.. I bet she keeps him on his toes

Kinda like Lisa Marie and Michael? If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat, it must be one right? :kitten:

mussop
11-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Bet its Brodie Croyle. Dont know why just a feeling.

Texan_Bill
11-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Garcia.

Carmella DeCesare!!!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yg3m8q-JSak/TeCNjq8UXVI/AAAAAAAABoA/hvrw_wt1R0s/s1600/Carmella%2BDecesare08.jpg

WIN!!!!

kiwitexansfan
11-21-2011, 10:07 PM
They still want to carry 3 QBs?

Why not just stick with Leinart and Yates?

Wolf
11-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Texans got to have a backup plan( no pun intended)

11-21-2011, 10:16 PM

probably because yates isn't ready yet.

srrono
11-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Bet its Brodie Croyle. Dont know why just a feeling.

he has wheels dont know about arm he would show good things then have a huge mistake

steelbtexan
11-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Carmella DeCesare!!!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yg3m8q-JSak/TeCNjq8UXVI/AAAAAAAABoA/hvrw_wt1R0s/s1600/Carmella%2BDecesare08.jpg

WIN!!!!

I dont think Garcia will have many problems chasing Foster/Tate down the field.

WoW

I'd sign him just to improve the hot factor at the games. Hopefully the 2nd string QB never sees the field anyway. If it doesn't pan out I'm sure those other guys that tried out will still be available. We're not talking about Montana and Young here.

Texan_Bill
11-21-2011, 10:41 PM
I dont think Garcia will have many problems chasing Foster/Tate down the field.

WoW

I'd sign him just to improve the hot factor at the games. Hopefully the 2nd string QB never sees the field anyway. If it doesn't pan out I'm sure those other guys that tried out will still be available. We're not talking about Montana and Young here.

Matt Schaub's wife is no loser either!!!

http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2010/12/01/8012941/laurieschaub_display_image.jpg

AND...... I'M fairly sure Leinart handles his business when it comes to women!!!

steelbtexan
11-21-2011, 10:51 PM
Matt Schaub's wife is no loser either!!!

http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2010/12/01/8012941/laurieschaub_display_image.jpg

AND...... I'M fairly sure Leinart handles his business when it comes to women!!!

The spoils of being a young NFL QB.

I had a friend yrs ago that met this good looking woman at a bar. He told her he was Tommy Maddox backup QB of the Broncos.

And magically the lost panties fairy appeared.

Hot looking girl too.

PHAROAH
11-22-2011, 01:46 AM
I would go with Trent Edwards he has the most talent but played on some really bad teams and he is a good fit in west coast style offense. The offense in Buffalo & Oakland were bad fits plus they had horrible offensive lines so in houston he might be able to regain his confidence with good coaching.

kiwitexansfan
11-22-2011, 02:20 AM
probably because yates isn't ready yet.

I'd takes Yates over some joker from outside the club.

TheDream34
11-22-2011, 02:26 AM
Considering Matt schaub is one ugliest and goofy looking quarterbacks in the league, he's done himself well with a cheerleader.

ObsiWan
11-22-2011, 03:32 AM

And be one good lick away from only having one QB? That's not good planning.

htowntexans1985
11-22-2011, 03:33 AM
Considering Matt schaub is one ugliest and goofy looking quarterbacks in the league, he's done himself well with a cheerleader.

Ahhhh.....I can always come here for a good.laugh.:spit:

ObsiWan
11-22-2011, 03:35 AM
Carmella DeCesare!!!

WIN!!!!
If Garcia has this at home, the fact that he ever leaves the house at all means his decision-making is suspect.

He's out due to senility or poor judgement.
:kitten:

Señor Stan
11-22-2011, 07:38 AM

I'm thinking that if the Schaub's re-evaluation does not go well and he get's put on the IR the Texans are going to want to have another QB somewhat familiar with the offense.

I would think whoever they brought in would be QB3...

Texan_Bill
11-22-2011, 08:14 AM
If Garcia has this at home, the fact that he ever leaves the house at all means his decision-making is suspect.

:spit: Right!!

NitroGSXR
11-22-2011, 08:53 AM

Nah. We'll be fine. Kubiak will convert a TE into a QB.

*nods head*

TexanSam
11-22-2011, 08:55 AM
Jeff Garcia? Is Vinny Testaverde not available? I mean, Garcia used to be a good QB. But he's 41...if the season came down to him then we're probably screwed anyhow.

NitroGSXR
11-22-2011, 09:00 AM
Jeff Garcia? Is Vinny Testaverde not available? I mean, Garcia used to be a good QB. But he's 41...if the season came down to him then we're probably screwed anyhow.

Garcia isn't coming here... neither are the other 4 who tried out. We are scrimping pennies at this point so that puts Garcia out of our price range.

TexansBull
11-22-2011, 09:04 AM

That is probably why TO said he was gay. TO couldn't believe he left the house either. I mean, wouldn't you retire instead of traveling with a bunch of men?...:kitten:

CloakNNNdagger
11-22-2011, 09:06 AM
Kellen Clemens was with the Redskins in TC and the preseason. So he was probably on the list since he would have learned a similar offense as Kubiak runs.

This is a good summary of his "talents" and short-comings (from SI).

POSITIVES: High-percentage thrower who is best in the short passing game. Sells ball fakes, patient in the pocket and displays an excellent sense of timing. Consistently looks downfield, knows where his receivers are on the field and hits targets as they leave breaks. Finds the safety, displays excellent pocket awareness and very accurate in the short field. Does not wilt under pressure or make poor decisions. Throws with a fluid, over-the-top delivery.

NEGATIVES: Cannot drive passes down the field nor zip intermediate throws. Stares down primary targets. Cannot elude the rush.

Summary..........accurate rubber band arm........

Lucky
11-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Kellen Clemens was with the Redskins in TC and the preseason.

Summary..........accurate rubber band arm........
Perfect. Sign him up.

Lucky
11-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Garcia isn't coming here... neither are the other 4 who tried out. We are scrimping pennies at this point so that puts Garcia out of our price range.

Garcia would get the vet minimum and like it. So would any of the others. What are you talking about?

mootini
11-22-2011, 09:36 AM
You guys don't want Trent Edwards! Capt Check down!:kitten:

Lucky
11-22-2011, 09:38 AM
You guys don't want Trent Edwards! Capt Check down!:kitten:

Checking down to Arian Foster is not such a bad thing.

False Start
11-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Carmella DeCesare!!!

Her + Safe Search Off = :yes:

I mean really, shes one of my all time favorites.

mootini
11-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Checking down to Arian Foster is not such a bad thing.

After watching Edwards last season on the Jags...he couldn't check down to MJD! Folds like a cheap unbrella under pressure too.

NitroGSXR
11-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Garcia would get the vet minimum and like it. So would any of the others. What are you talking about?

Its not about what he would like. As a 10+ year veteran, that would be $910,000 to the Texans. Additionally, the Texans would also have to pay a $150,000 fee to the UFL. I can't see the Texans spending nearly $1.1 million when all they have left is $1.9 million with a ton of football left to be played. We're looking for a young'un who would significantly earn under half of what Garcia would cost.

Texas T
11-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Nah. We'll be fine. Kubiak will convert a TE into a QB.

*nods head*

Didn't Thor play some QB??? He knows the offense...

EVOLVIST
11-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Brodie Croyle & Kellen Clemens were drafted in 06 along with Matt Leinart. This was before Rick Smith was GM. Just looking through current Texan roster from this draft besides Leinart, Mario, DeMeco, Winston, Daniels, Texans have added Jonathan Joseph (24th overall) Jason Allen (16th overall) Danieal Manning (42nd overall) Rashad Butler (89th) Lawrence Vickers (180th) & Joel Dreeseen (undrafted).

A brilliant observation about the 2006 draft class and the Texans. Just seeing it on paper, again: Allen before Joseph! But wow! All those guys we have on roster. I wonder if another team has ever shaken out like this before.

That's (4) 1st Rounders on roster.

GP
11-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Would really like another QB to be around the practices and meetings this week.

Every week matters. It's not likely that Leinart would get hurt in the Jags game, Yates comes in and also gets hurt in that same game, but it's just the idea that you've gotta' get a third QB in here N-O-W to start seeing, listening, and doing.

Anybody else here a little put off that it's Tuesday and all we have is Leinart and Yates? Bring in Zabranski for all I care, just get a QB3 and let the guy start learning.

infantrycak
11-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Its not about what he would like. As a 10+ year veteran, that would be $910,000 to the Texans. Additionally, the Texans would also have to pay a $150,000 fee to the UFL. I can't see the Texans spending nearly $1.1 million when all they have left is $1.9 million with a ton of football left to be played. We're looking for a young'un who would significantly earn under half of what Garcia would cost.

There is a vet minimum reduction to salary cap hit for players with 10+ seasons so it would be 50% of the ordinary accounting.

ChampionTexan
11-22-2011, 11:12 AM
There is a vet minimum reduction to salary cap hit for players with 10+ seasons so it would be 50% of the ordinary accounting.

Plus, he would only be active for a maximum of 6 games reducing the original $910,000 to $295,750.

Hervoyel
11-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Would really like another QB to be around the practices and meetings this week.

Every week matters. It's not likely that Leinart would get hurt in the Jags game, Yates comes in and also gets hurt in that same game, but it's just the idea that you've gotta' get a third QB in here N-O-W to start seeing, listening, and doing.

Anybody else here a little put off that it's Tuesday and all we have is Leinart and Yates? Bring in Zabranski for all I care, just get a QB3 and let the guy start learning.

Maybe Alex Brink? He can't be that busy.

CloakNNNdagger
11-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Plus, he would only be active for a maximum of 6 games reducing the original $910,000 to $295,750.

I'm not sure that you can prorate the minimum player salary. I think that you only may be able to do that with a signing bonus.

NitroGSXR
11-22-2011, 11:20 AM

That's good to know. Also Champion factored in a pro-rated salary. Maybe its more manageable than I had assumed. 6 games is a LOT of football left so... I'd be scrimping away given what's happened to us thus far injury-wise.

ChampionTexan
11-22-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm not sure that you can prorate the minimum player salary.

I'm pretty sure that you can.

kiwitexansfan
11-22-2011, 12:04 PM

We've carried 2 every other year of the Kubiak era.

NitroGSXR
11-22-2011, 12:14 PM

We may have carried two on the active roster but we have almost always had one tucked away on the practice squad.

ObsiWan
11-22-2011, 12:26 PM

I think 2006 was the only year Kubiak has carried only two QBs.
2007 -- Schaub, Rosenfels, and Shane Boyd (he was a P/S guy).
2008 -- Schaub, Rosenfels, and a P/S QB (maybe Boyd but that doesn't seem right...??)
2009 -- Schaub, Rex Grossman, D. Orlovsky
2010 -- Schaub, Orlovsky, Leinart
2011 -- Schaub, Leinart, Yates

ChampionTexan
11-22-2011, 12:27 PM

Pretty much got away from that two years ago (2009) with Schaub/Grossman/Orlovsky, and continued the trend to three QB's last year with Schaub/Orlovsky/Leinart.

Besides that, two deep with Schaub and Rosenfels is way different that two deep with Leinart and Yates.

texanfan2002114
11-22-2011, 12:29 PM
I think 2006 was the only year Kubiak has carried only two QBs.
2007 -- Schaub, Rosenfels, and Shane Boyd (he was a P/S guy).
2008 -- Schaub, Rosenfels, and a P/S QB (maybe Boyd but that doesn't seem right...??)
2009 -- Schaub, Rex Grossman, D. Orlovsky
2010 -- Schaub, Orlovsky, Leinart
2011 -- Schaub, Leinart, Yates

Leinart was inactive all 16 games last year per Texans website.

• Inactive as the third quarterback for all 16 games of the regular season.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster/Matt-Leinart/d21e5b4a-9371-4426-887d-90197b947f38

ObsiWan
11-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Leinart was inactive all 16 games last year per Texans website.

• Inactive as the third quarterback for all 16 games of the regular season.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster/Matt-Leinart/d21e5b4a-9371-4426-887d-90197b947f38

I think the NFL had a rule that allowed that "inactive" third QB to be an "emergency QB" in case the other two get hurt. So, if necessary, Leinart could have played. This year the owners bumped up the game day roster from 45 to 46 active players. No need for the emergency 3rd QB to be inactive.

Here's (http://http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/22/nfl-drops-third-quarterback-rule-46-active-players-on-game-day/) some info on that rule change...

bckey
11-22-2011, 01:47 PM
I'd take Garrard over these guys if he is healthy after back surgery. This group is uninspiring to say the least. Yates would probably do just as good as any of those 5qbs. I know they want a veteran backup but there comes a time when you have to just say no. It is really late in the season also. At least Yates knows the playbook. Go with Leinert and Yates and hope Kubiak was right when he and Smith signed these guys.

76Texan
11-22-2011, 02:07 PM
I'd take Garrard over these guys if he is healthy after back surgery. This group is uninspiring to say the least. Yates would probably do just as good as any of those 5qbs. I know they want a veteran backup but there comes a time when you have to just say no. It is really late in the season also. At least Yates knows the playbook. Go with Leinert and Yates and hope Kubiak was right when he and Smith signed these guys.

Garcia was a WCO QB for a long time.
The Jags (Garrard and Edwards) did a lot of things that are the same as the Texans: short WCO routes and play-action.

I can see why the Texans brought these guys in for a look-see.

TexansFanatic
11-22-2011, 02:07 PM

But rememeber---for every beautiful woman, there's some guy who's tired of her bullshit!

That said, I don't think that's the problem in this situation. He's got three kids with her. He may just need to get out of the house for a few hours to keep his sanity. :shades:

TexansFanatic
11-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Jeff Garcia Talks About Texans Workout
by Avinash Kunnath • Nov 22, 2011 7:01 AM PST

Jeff Garcia is probably forgotten among the best San Francisco 49ers quarterbacks had to offer, but he was fairly solid in his time at QB. And he's proven that he could play at a fairly productive level long into his career, playing as late as 2008 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Garcia has been considering a comeback, and discussed the issue on 95.7 THE GAME with John Lund & Mychael Urban. He talked about Smith's success. You can listen to the audio by clicking here (http://podcast.957thegame.com/kbwf5/3197176.mp3).

On how he felt his workout went:

I got a call from Houston, I came out, went through a workout with the guys out here and you know, I thought it went pretty well considering there was a little bit of rust to dust off. I felt like considering who they brought in I held my own, and it just comes down to them making the decision as to what direction they want to go in as far as who they’re going to bring in to help out the starter that they have in right now.

On whether he was worked out individually or in a group with the Texans:
They brought us all together. They brought Kellen Clemens, a kid out of Oregon, Trent Edwards, local guy right there…Stanford product, Los Gatos kid, and Brodie Croyle from Alabama, and Chase Clements I believe, from Rice. So you know, I was the old man of the group but I’ll be the old man of any group that I throw the ball with. And you know, just to be out there and run around, and show that I still have a 30 inch vertical jump for 41 years old…I’m not complaining.

Jeff Garcia Talks About Texans Workout, 49ers QB Alex Smith (http://bayarea.sbnation.com/san-francisco-49ers/2011/11/22/2579990/jeff-garcia-san-francisco-49ers-houston-texans)

mokalus
11-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Kyle Orton cut by Broncos today. Just sayin'.

ObsiWan
11-22-2011, 04:36 PM

I saw that.
I was like, WTF?!?
Is this a money-saving move or what?

Wolf
11-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Not sure what the salary is of Kyle.

Read that Texans are 1.9 million under the cap

Wolf6151
11-22-2011, 05:14 PM

He'll probably get picked up off of waivers before he makes it down to us, but if he somehow makes it past all those teams needing a QB, Kubiak would be an ***** not to go after him.

badboy
11-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Not sure what the salary is of Kyle.

Read that Texans are 1.9 million under the capESPN saying $2.5 million. Bears may be ibterest but he might not as one analyst said
'Been a divorce. Doubt he will go back"

KC may make a claim but Houston should be in the hunt.

badboy
11-22-2011, 07:28 PM
INfo on contract of Orton different than I understood ESPN to say:

8/19/2010: Signed a two-year, $11.621 million contract. The deal contains $5.499 million guaranteed, including $2.879 million of his second-year base salary. 2011: $7.379 million (+ $1.5 million roster bonus), 2012: Free Agent
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3214/kyle-orton

TexansFanatic
11-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Not interested in Orton. Not unless he comes at a serious discount.

drs23
11-22-2011, 07:34 PM

Dayum! After Elway was on Mike & Mike just this a.m. saying Jesus was not the future as far as the QB in Denver. What the hell is going on up there?

Showtime100
11-22-2011, 07:37 PM
No Orton. No freaking way. Then again, Monday might have me singing a different tune, but I highly doubt it.

(insert Dr. Suess parody here)

CloakNNNdagger
11-22-2011, 07:52 PM
ESPN saying $2.5 million. Bears may be ibterest but he might not as one analyst said
'Been a divorce. Doubt he will go back"

KC may make a claim but Houston should be in the hunt.

If KC doesn't claim him.......and he makes it up to the "Bears' spot"..........Houston could take him over the Bears if they wanted to.

ObsiWan
11-22-2011, 08:06 PM
If KC doesn't claim him.......and he makes it up to the "Bears' spot"..........Houston could take him over the Bears if they wanted to.

McClain tweeted that the Texans aren't interested in Orton.

@McClain_on_NFL (https://twitter.com/#!/McClain_on_NFL)
John McClain

Texans aren't interested in Orton. if Schaub learns Wednesday he needs surgery, they'll sign one of vets they brought in for tryouts Monday.

I think it would make good reality TV if Orton signed with the Bears then had to start when they played the Broncos on Dec 11th. Even better reality TV if Orton led the Bears to a victory over Tebow.
:evil:

CloakNNNdagger
11-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Dayum! After Elway was on Mike & Mike just this a.m. saying Jesus was not the future as far as the QB in Denver. What the hell is going on up there?

It's been said that the hardest thing to learn in life is which bridge to cross and which to burn. I have the feeling that Denver screwed up.

thunderkyss
11-22-2011, 08:17 PM
I have the feeling that Denver screwed up.

I'm thinking it's locker room "control"

ChampionTexan
11-22-2011, 08:23 PM
It's been said that the hardest thing to learn in life is which bridge to cross and which to burn. I have the feeling that Denver screwed up.

Not sure exactly what you mean by this, but word is that Denver was actually doing him a favor, as he'd indicated he wanted to be released once he heard about Cutler's thumb:

Orton and his agent David Dunn had started talking to Broncos officials about the move after it was learned Chicago Bears' quarterback Jay Cutler suffered a broken thumb on his right passing hand Sunday that will likely sideline him for the rest of the season.

LINK (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19391873)

Orton was in the last year of his contract, and there was absolutely no way that he was going to be back in Denver next year, but considering that the Bronco's are still on the hook for his entire remaining contract if he's not claimed on waivers, it was actually a surprisingly decent thing for them to do (assuming of course the reports that it was his request are true).

The Cush
11-22-2011, 08:48 PM
McClain tweeted that the Texans aren't interested in Orton.

According to McClain the Texans aren't ever interested in ANYONE. He needs to reword his tweets with the word "I" instead of "Texans".

"Texans aren't interested in Leigh Bodden."
-Leigh Bodden visits Houston the following day

"Texans aren't interested in released safety Chris Harris"
-According to Harris's agent, he was scheduled to visit Houston first if not claimed off waivers

etc., etc.

ObsiWan
11-22-2011, 08:50 PM

I'm with you on this assessment. The Denver brass decided to yield to the screams and rants of the fanbase and bench Orton for Tebow. I happen to think they screwed up.

I just think that Tebow act won't wash against teams that are able to carry a double-digit/two possession leads on Denver in the fourth quarter. That means Tebow has to throw effectively and efficiently to get his team back in the game. He has not shown that he can do that.

Giant Tiger
11-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Maybe Alex Brink? He can't be that busy.

He's not available; he's 2nd string for Winnipeg behind Buck Pierce. They made it to the Grey Cup final so he'll be in Vancouver on Sunday.

CloakNNNdagger
11-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Another interesting twist.

claiming Orton has another benefit. When he leaves as a free agent in March 2012, the team that employs him for six weeks would be in line of a compensatory draft pick. So there’s one more good reason to consider doing it.link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/22/plenty-of-teams-could-block-bears-effort-to-get-orton/)

Wolf6151
11-23-2011, 03:49 AM
Another interesting twist.

link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/22/plenty-of-teams-could-block-bears-effort-to-get-orton/)

I'd do it even without that incentive, with the possibility of a comp. pick I'd jump on him if available.

ObsiWan
11-23-2011, 07:25 AM
Won't the contribution Orton makes to your team determine what level of comp pick he would bring in? If he never sees the field for our team, would we get anything at all? I dunno.... we could use up most of our remaining cap room and not get a dang thing for it.

Anyone know the rules on comp picks? How much would he have to play for us to get a comp pick??

TejasTom
11-23-2011, 07:45 AM
I'd do it even without that incentive, with the possibility of a comp. pick I'd jump on him if available.

I think the biggest problem is picking up the remainder of his $9 mil salary.

CloakNNNdagger
11-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Won't the contribution Orton makes to your team determine what level of comp pick he would bring in? If he never sees the field for our team, would we get anything at all? I dunno.... we could use up most of our remaining cap room and not get a dang thing for it.

Anyone know the rules on comp picks? How much would he have to play for us to get a comp pick??

Good point!

I had this link (http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2010/03/projecting-2010-compensatory-nfl-draft.html) in my archives. The NFL Management Council has never revealed the "formula." But it appears that it is mostly based on salary........with some "adjustment" for playing time and post season honors. Probably having no playing time does not preclude a compensatory pick. But evidently not every free agent lost or signed is covered by the formula.

76Texan
11-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Good point!

I had this link (http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2010/03/projecting-2010-compensatory-nfl-draft.html) in my archives. The NFL Management Council has never revealed the "formula." But it appears that it is mostly based on salary........with some "adjustment" for playing time and post season honors. Probably having no playing time does not preclude a compensatory pick. But evidently not every free agent lost or signed is covered by the formula.

What about our FA signings?
Do we pretty much guarantee ourselves that we won't get any comp pick next year with the signings of JJo and D. Manning?

Doppelganger
11-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Speaking of older QBs, what is Jeff George up to these days?!

CloakNNNdagger
11-23-2011, 11:18 AM

At last sighting, he was writing his

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eIQUBmL05F4/SYIvDa5LknI/AAAAAAAAADw/gN4lTtQpojU/S1600-R/asylum.jpg

CloakNNNdagger
11-23-2011, 11:24 AM
What about our FA signings?
Do we pretty much guarantee ourselves that we won't get any comp pick next year with the signings of JJo and D. Manning?

This LINK (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/transactions/_/name/hou/houston-texans) may help figure FA moves.

76Texan
11-23-2011, 11:36 AM
This LINK (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/transactions/_/name/hou/houston-texans) may help figure FA moves.

Thanks, Doc!

Too many player movements to keep track of.
I know some of us guys were signed by other teams like Okoye etc.

Guess we'll wait for that guru guy to come out with a tally some time during the off-season.

76Texan
11-23-2011, 11:40 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_George#Semi-retirement

In November 2008, in an appearance on Sirius NFL Radio, George said, "I find it hard to believe there isn't a place in the game for me. My arm feels like I'm 25," he said. "I'm not asking to be a starter, I just want a spot on a team. I still hold out hope I can play in this league. I'm working out three or four days a week, staying ready. Some people might laugh about it. I've been hearing the excuse, 'You're too old,' but I look at guys now playing near 40, and if you can throw it like I can throw it ... Why wouldn't you take a look at me?"[2] He said of coming back: “I’ve been trying to figure out how to get back in, and it just amazes me that I’m not on somebody’s roster. I’ve been throwing two or three times a week, and every time I go out there to throw, I can’t believe I’m not a backup somewhere. I know it’s a young man’s game, but you can’t tell me I’m not better than some of the quarterbacks that are out there. I look at teams like Minnesota or Chicago, and I want to scream at the people in charge, ‘What are you thinking?’ ”

More recently, on August 4, 2010 George announced on KFAN Sports radio in Minnesota that he would be willing to step in for veteran QB Brett Favre if Favre decides to retire from the Minnesota Vikings

badboy
11-23-2011, 11:46 AM
I think the biggest problem is picking up the remainder of his $9 mil salary.Once a player makes it through waivers, any team can renegotiate his contract. This is what I'd consider if I were Smith. Floating out that Texans are not interested may be a tactical move. Lienert is FA after 2011 I think and Schaub after 2012. If he makes it through waivers I'd sit him down for a discussion.

76Texan
11-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Once a player makes it through waivers, any team can renegotiate his contract. This is what I'd consider if I were Smith. Floating out that Texans are not interested may be a tactical move. Lienert is FA after 2011 I think and Schaub after 2012. If he makes it through waivers I'd sit him down for a discussion.

Leinart signed a 2 yr deal this season.

beerlover
11-24-2011, 10:29 AM

Add Kellen Clemens to the list:

#1 Mario Williams
#10 Matt Leinart
#16 Jason Allen
#24 Jonathan Joseph
#33 DeMeco Ryans
#42 Danieal Manning
#49 Kellen Clemons
#66 Eric Winston
#89 Rashad Butler
#98 Owen Daniels
#180 Lawerence Vickers
UDFA Joel Dreessen

OR

Four first rounders, three second rounders, two third rounders, one fourth, one 6th & one undrafted free agent.

Wolf
11-27-2011, 03:33 PM
bump this, because we will be working out some more with Matt2 broken collarbone

bckey
11-27-2011, 04:06 PM
call Favre or we are done. I hate to say it but our offense sucks now without Schaub and Leinert.

Thorn
11-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Our offense sucks because Yates hasn't been getting a lot of reps in practice. He now will. We'll probably lose the next two now with Yates as the starter, but we can still beat Carolina and Indy and take the division.

Shaft75
11-27-2011, 04:10 PM
We need the Ol' Gunslinger...

TexansFight
11-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Our offense sucks because Yates hasn't been getting a lot of reps in practice. He now will. We'll probably lose the next two now with Yates as the starter, but we can still beat Carolina and Indy and take the division.

Damnit :brickwall: Why can't this team catch a ****ing break. Come on Texans. We will be this year's Packers and win the whole ****ing thing. Damn injuries threatening to ruin what has been so far a great season

kiwitexansfan
11-27-2011, 04:16 PM
I'm leaning towards Jeff Garcia.

Texn4life
11-27-2011, 04:20 PM
I don't care what anyone says, I would place a call to Mississippi yesterday. From everything reported, Jeff Garcia wasn't very good in the UFL so I'd pass on him. At least we know Favre wouldn't be overwhelmed by defenses and can still sling the ball. At this point, anything is better than what I saw in the second half.

Pantherstang84
11-27-2011, 04:21 PM
We need the Ol' Gunslinger...

Uhhh. No.

ChampionTexan
11-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Uhhh. No.

True dat - horrible idea (and that's coming from someone who was a huge Favre fan while he was still playing).

Norg
11-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Ol mississippi. !!!!!!!!! if matt2 cant go next week screw it lol

Wolf
11-27-2011, 04:25 PM
nope for Favre we have our #4

http://my.wn.com/media/wiki/n/e/Neil_Rackers_Texans_vs_Cowboys.jpg

Texan Asylum
11-27-2011, 04:26 PM
nope for Favre we have our #4

http://my.wn.com/media/wiki/n/e/Neil_Rackers_Texans_vs_Cowboys.jpg

Can he quarterback? We know he can hit!

MEGA SWATT
11-27-2011, 04:31 PM
kurt warner please or b.favre

GP
11-27-2011, 04:31 PM
call Favre or we are done. I hate to say it but our offense sucks now without Schaub and Leinert.

I don't think we were going anywhere with Leinart anyways.

Our best hope is that TJ Yates transforms from 3rd stringer to Lightning In A Bottle somehow. These are times that define a QB's career moving forward from such an event as what happened in Florida with both our QBs.

If TJ Yates can't take advantage of this situation and get it done in 2011, then he has wasted a huge chance at being among the NFL's best "Unheralded QBs" who came in and started owning the environment.

My worry is that we're down to only a handful of full practices (in pads, right?) that the new CBA says you can have. He needs to feel pressure, get bumped by our defense in practice, etc.

He needs the QB Simulator Machine every day this whole week...and hope that Kubiak turns him loose a little more next week.

ziggy29
11-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Our best hope is that TJ Yates transforms from 3rd stringer to Lightning In A Bottle somehow. These are times that define a QB's career moving forward from such an event as what happened in Florida with both our QBs.

I'm certainly not suggesting it's likely, but a very similar situation elevated Tom Brady -- 6th round pick, pressed into service by injury to one of the better QBs in the game (Drew Bledsoe), and the rest is history. (Brady was second string, but still...)

But longer term, if you are going to have Yates remain the starter, you can't keep protecting him with an extremely limited playbook. Today it made sense to do it to some degree. Moving forward, if you make the decision to start him you need to show some trust in him. If you won't have that trust and give him almost the full playbook to work with, then you need to find another QB you will trust with it.

thunderkyss
11-27-2011, 04:38 PM

Jacksonville has a good defense.

Atlanta has the #2 run defense.

Cincinnati has the #3 run defense.

Carolina puts points on the board.

We'll probably still beat Indy & Tennessee @Home.

I think we'll still limp into the play-offs, but then... nothing.

CloakNNNdagger
11-27-2011, 04:41 PM

If TJ Yates can't take advantage of this situation and get it done in 2011, then he has wasted a huge chance at being among the NFL's best "Unheralded QBs" who came in and started owning the environment.

My worry is that we're down to only a handful of full practices (in pads, right?) that the new CBA says you can have. He needs to feel pressure, get bumped by our defense in practice, etc.

He needs the QB Simulator Machine every day this whole week...and hope that Kubiak turns him loose a little more next week.

Now, it's even worse. The new CBA deal limits teams to 14 padded practices during the regular season — one per week through Week 12, with just three more over the last five weeks...............this will be terrible for someone like Yates or even with a vet.......especially a vet not familiar with the system/terminology.

Wolf
11-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Now, it's even worse. The new CBA deal limits teams to 14 padded practices during the regular season — one per week through Week 12, with just three more over the last five weeks...............this will be terrible for someone like Yates or even with a vet.......especially a vet not familiar with the system/terminology.

kinda bites us in the ass

:thud:

can't the Texans contact Wrangler and do a commercial with them?

Hervoyel
11-27-2011, 04:45 PM
C'mon guys, you know it's time.....

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/CallBrett.jpg

:deadhorse or :stirpot: (not sure which I'm doing here)

beerlover
11-27-2011, 04:46 PM

Kubiak will need to tweak offensive sets. This should challenge him
& we will witness how good of OC he is. TJ just needs more pocket time to make his progressions. Yates has the accuracy, the mindset. He threw to the likes of Nicks, Tate & Little @ North Carolina. Expect to see more emphasis with Texans passing attack. Benefit Andre, Jacoby,
Walter, Daniels & Dreessen.

Wolf
11-27-2011, 04:46 PM

Rackers might get offended unless we have Rackers a jersey with

:texanbill:

but I am leaning toward this.. I am not sold on KC either

steelbtexan
11-27-2011, 04:49 PM

We fans can thank Jeff Saturday for this.

He's the one who pushed for the new practice rules during the CBA negs.

It's just another way that the NFL's being ruined. The new rules are contributing to the large increase in injuries. IMHO Although you can speak on this topic much more eloquently than I can.

thunderkyss
11-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Jeff Garcia and Trent Edwards are working out for texans with Kellen Clemens and Brody Croyle.

https://twitter.com/#!/McClain_on_NFL/status/138679297400516609

I'm sure this is the pool we'll be pulling from.

False Start
11-27-2011, 04:55 PM
List of other Free Agent OBs (http://thesidelineview.com/columns/nfl/best-free-agents-available-offense)....:kitten:

Spled
11-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Maybe ...
http://profootballzone.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/jeff-george.jpg

fiasco west
11-27-2011, 04:58 PM

:deadhorse or :stirpot: (not sure which I'm doing here)

I'd do it honestly. If Leinart was still healthy I wouldn't' even think about it...but now I'd do it.

Heath Shuler
11-27-2011, 05:02 PM
http://thesidelineview.com/columns/nfl/best-free-agents-available-offense

Quarterback
David Garrard (back surgery)
Jake Delhomme
Trent Edwards
Jeff Garcia
Patrick Ramsey
J.T. O'Sullivan
Jim Sorgi
Brodie Croyle
Todd Collins
Chris Simms
Brett Ratliff
Charlie Frye
Troy Smith
Hunter Cantwell
Todd Bouman
Keith Null
Brian St. Pierre
Brian Brohm
Rhett Bomar
D.J. Shockley
Tom Brandstater

Texn4life
11-27-2011, 05:05 PM
I don't honestly see how bring Favre in would be a bad thing at this point. We're relying on a player in Yates (who I personally didn't think was very good at North Carolina). How much worse could he honestly be than what we have?

Jackie Chiles
11-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Last week I doubt I could have been more opposed to bringing in Favre. Today I think we have to try. Give him a week (give or take) to learn with Yates getting the Atlanta start and see what he can do afterwards. I mean, did we have a first down in the 2nd half? Now that both of our top two QBs are down I don't see how it can create any controversy.

ziggy29
11-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Last week I doubt I could have been more opposed to bringing in Favre. Today I think we have to try. Give him a week (give or take) to learn with Yates getting the Atlanta start and see what he can do afterwards. I mean, did we have a first down in the 2nd half? Now that both of our top two QBs are down I don't see how it can create any controversy.

At least they could promise Favre there's no training camp involved...

Shaft75
11-27-2011, 05:18 PM
I look at that FA list of qbs and panic sets in. How some of you say no to Brett is beyond me.

We are one hit away from Owen Daniels & James Casey at QB. Maybe Casey can pull his best Tebow impersonation?

I'm trying to keep my cool and think about this, but I just can't imagine what we're going to do right now. Can someone please talk me off the ledge?

HJam72
11-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Kurt Warner

Brett Favre

Jeff Garcia

Jake Delhomme

Chris Simms

Heck, call Troy Aikmann. Do something.

gary
11-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Face it everyone this team is now one and done in the playoffs for sure. These two losses are much bigger than losing Manning, Williams, Johnson, and you name it. The QB is the most important player on any team.

TexansFanatic
11-27-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm leaning towards Jeff Garcia.

I seriously see this happening.

Let's face it---Favre isn't a Bob McNair guy what with the peckertext and all.

It's Garcia.

GP
11-27-2011, 05:31 PM

It's Garcia.

(Sigh)

You're right. I bet a prior history of sexting is not exactly the best way to become an employee of Robert McNair.

Can't we just get him a freaking Go Phone from Wal-Mart and write into his contract that he can only use the Go Phone from now on?

TexansFanatic
11-27-2011, 05:33 PM
(Sigh)

You're right. I bet a prior history of sexting is not exactly the best way to become an employee of Robert McNair.

Can't we just get him a freaking Go Phone from Wal-Mart and write into his contract that he can only use the Go Phone from now on?

:spit:

thunderkyss
11-27-2011, 05:33 PM
I look at that FA list of qbs and panic sets in. How some of you say no to Brett is beyond me.

We are one hit away from Owen Daniels & James Casey at QB. Maybe Casey can pull his best Tebow impersonation?

I'm trying to keep my cool and think about this, but I just can't imagine what we're going to do right now. Can someone please talk me off the ledge?

One hit? We've got Yates & Clemens.

Not very promising, but it's not one hit.

False Start
11-27-2011, 05:38 PM
(Sigh)

Hes getting older now, so maybe he could be eligible for one of these from AARP.

http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/15/0,1425,i=157361,00.jpg

Hervoyel
11-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Today we saw our offense play without any threat of a passing game. It wasn't pretty. As soon as Jacksonville worked out that Gary wasn't going to throw on first or second down they shut our running game down, crowded everyone up around the line of scrimmage, and brought us to a screeching halt.

That's not likely to change next week. If anything Atlanta will make that their entire defensive game plan. T.J. Yates isn't "Tom Brady II". He's more like the second coming of Dave Ragone at this point.

I believe that if the Texans don't go find a veteran who is a credible threat to occasionally throw the ball beyond the line of scrimmage then our season is pretty much done at around 8-8/9-7.

gary
11-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Today we saw our offense play without any threat of a passing game. It wasn't pretty. As soon as Jacksonville worked out that Gary wasn't going to throw on first or second down they shut our running game down, crowded everyone up around the line of scrimmage, and brought us to a screeching halt.

That's not likely to change next week. If anything Atlanta will make that their entire defensive game plan. T.J. Yates isn't "Tom Brady II". He's more like the second coming of Dave Ragone at this point.

I believe that if the Texans don't go find a veteran who is a credible threat to occasionally throw the ball beyond the line of scrimmage then our season is pretty much done at around 8-8/9-7.I think they will still win at least ten.

NitroGSXR
11-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Plug and play! Plug and play. It matters none who we get. It's the system.

Lmao.

thunderkyss
11-27-2011, 06:10 PM
I believe that if the Texans don't go find a veteran who is a credible threat to occasionally throw the ball beyond the line of scrimmage then our season is pretty much done at around 8-8/9-7.

What if Yates puts together 2 or 3 qtrs like he did the last 2 minutes of the first half?

Doesn't have to be pretty, as long as we move the ball & prove we're not afraid to go deep.

Yates looked good I thought, for being the third string guy, cold off the bench & connected on his first 4 passes (I think it was first 4).

I don't know that there is a vet out there that would truly give us a better shot than Yates or Clemens at this point.

houstonspartan
11-27-2011, 06:18 PM

It's Garcia.

I was just thinking this exact thing. No way would McNair bring in Favre after that scandal. Never mind the fact that Favre is a diva. McNair would object based on that mess with the pictures and the Jets cheerleader.

Hervoyel
11-27-2011, 06:38 PM
What if Yates puts together 2 or 3 qtrs like he did the last 2 minutes of the first half?

Doesn't have to be pretty, as long as we move the ball & prove we're not afraid to go deep.

Yates looked good I thought, for being the third string guy, cold off the bench & connected on his first 4 passes (I think it was first 4).

I don't know that there is a vet out there that would truly give us a better shot than Yates or Clemens at this point.

That was one series in a two minute drill with the Jaguars trying to keep everything in front of them. He threw passes of 5 and 10 yards before he fumbled a snap and then threw one incomplete to OD. Then he hit Daniels for 24 yards to get us to the 6 before he pushed us back 16 with an intentional grounding penalty.

Very mixed bag and he did nothing in the second half.

I think there are probably 4-5 veterans out there who could do a better job of this than Yates right now. He's a rookie and a rookie who has been sitting on his butt all year, not a rookie who has been playing. He's this years Dave Ragone and it's likely to end the same way that did.

Hervoyel
11-27-2011, 06:40 PM
Garcia's wife is a former Playmate of the Year. Think McNair will mind?

If he's thinking about anything other than football when considering a rental QB then McNair is a ****ing stooge at this point.

I hope that's not the case.

axman40
11-27-2011, 06:44 PM
That was one series in a two minute drill with the Jaguars trying to keep everything in front of them. He threw passes of 5 and 10 yards before he fumbled a snap and then threw one incomplete to OD. Then he hit Daniels for 24 yards to get us to the 6 before he pushed us back 16 with an intentional grounding penalty.

Very mixed bag and he did nothing in the second half.

I think there are probably 4-5 veterans out there who could do a better job of this than Yates right now. He's a rookie and a rookie who has been sitting on his butt all year, not a rookie who has been playing. He's this years Dave Ragone and it's likely to end the same way that did.
He was not given a chance to anything in the second half IMO.

Hervoyel
11-27-2011, 06:50 PM
He was not given a chance to anything in the second half IMO.

Exactly. In spite of the fact that the running game was completely stopped Gary preferred running into a waiting defense that was crowding the line to letting Yates throw in any situation other than 3rd and long.

Think about that. He wanted no part of Yates throwing the football. Total sphincter-clench was preferable to the possibility that Yates might throw a pick. Do you think that's going to change in a week?

I don't. I mean, it will have to change obviously because we aren't going to win again this year with an offense like the one we saw in the second half but there's no way on earth Gary can coach Yates up enough in one week to trust him to run an acceptable percentage of our offense.

We're losing to Atlanta. That's almost a given. In two weeks maybe we can put up a reasonable effort against Cincinnati. Maybe.

beerlover
11-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Exactly. In spite of the fact that the running game was completely stopped Gary preferred running into a waiting defense that was crowding the line to letting Yates throw in any situation other than 3rd and long.

Think about that. He wanted no part of Yates throwing the football. Total sphincter-clench was preferable to the possibility that Yates might throw a pick. Do you think that's going to change in a week?

I don't. I mean, it will have to change obviously because we aren't going to win again this year with an offense like the one we saw in the second half but there's no way on earth Gary can coach Yates up enough in one week to trust him to run an acceptable percentage of our offense.

We're losing to Atlanta. That's almost a given. In two weeks maybe we can put up a reasonable effort against Cincinnati. Maybe.

Pessimistist mod

Hervoyel
11-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Pessimistist mod

Nope, just pessimist. I just think at this position we're at the end of our rope. There's a reason Yates was still there in the 5th round and it wasn't because you have to wait until that round to draft the future Tom Brady's.

He's not ready and he's not gonna be ready.

srrono
11-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Daunte Culpepper try out?
Chad Pennington
Jake Delhomme
Brodie Croyle
Eric Crouch lol tebow 2
Marc Bulger
Dare I say Farve
Brian Griese
Kurt Warner

I can make arguments for all these guys but I also can make arguments the other way. Texans may be stuck with a rookie this year.

Heath Shuler
11-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Think the most likely signee by the Texans is Brodie Croyle. Could play Atl next wk with TJ Yates 1, Kellen Clemens 2 and maybe Croyle 3.

@SI_PeterKing

GP
11-27-2011, 09:06 PM

I'm going to be a centrist on this issue.

I don't think it will be easy vs. Falcons, but playing at home and having a full week to get Yates' head straightened out ("YOU are the QB now. It's YOU.") helps a little bit.

The run game could rebound and be effective. I've seen us win UGLY against the Dolphins early in this season, I mean Schaub was throwing checkdown stuff to his RBs and TEs all day long, with maybe a tiny amount of deep throws sprinkled in there. It can happen vs. the Falcons too.

It just stays interesting every week, doesn't it?

thunderkyss
11-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Daunte Culpepper try out?
Chad Pennington
Jake Delhomme
Brodie Croyle
Eric Crouch lol tebow 2
Marc Bulger
Dare I say Farve
Brian Griese
Kurt Warner

I can make arguments for all these guys but I also can make arguments the other way. Texans may be stuck with a rookie this year.

It's so late in the season right now, it doesn't make sense to bring anyone in with the hopes that he'll take over as #1.

I understand bringing someone in, just in case, get them ready, but not activating him (or Clemens) until we need him.