PDA

View Full Version : So I guess it is safe to say....

BullNation4Life
11-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Getting Jonathan Joseph over Namdi Asomugha was the smart thing to do... Did anybody he how Victor Cruz abused Asomugha and burned him for that TD? I thought I saw a #25 Texans jersey on #24 for the Eagles there for a moment...

Meanwhile back at the Hall of Shutdown, Joseph is having a pro bowl caliber year. Glad the Texans FO finally got one right when it come to FA...

badboy
11-21-2011, 11:57 AM
I think with ASO it is more of the entire teams play. They are merging quite a few new players. I thought it would be an issue but not this bad. Surprised they won last night the way Young began.

nero THE zero
11-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Johnathan Joseph and Carlos Rogers have both considerably outperformed Asomugha.

BullNation4Life
11-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Johnathan Joseph and Carlos Rogers have both considerably outperformed Asomugha.

goes to show you what an excellent pass rush can do for your CBs...

nero THE zero
11-21-2011, 12:30 PM

Eagles are tied for 4th in the NFL in sacks. Ahead of both the Texans and 49ers.

Lucky
11-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Joseph was the right guy to sign. Best FA signing in the history of the franchise.

b0ng
11-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Joseph was the right guy to sign. Best FA signing in the history of the franchise.

By FAR.

False Start
11-21-2011, 12:51 PM

Yep.

IMO, Nnamdi has a LeBron'ish quality to him.

infantrycak
11-21-2011, 12:55 PM

Definitely, although I think Antonio Smith is under-rated as an acquisition.

Marcus
11-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Joseph was the right guy to sign. Best FA signing in the history of the franchise. . .

. . . . hindsight being 20/20 and all. :stirpot:

thunderkyss
11-21-2011, 01:08 PM

I'm watching our game vs Baltimore right now.

Sending our LBs to blitz on every single play is making some easy throws underneath our corners & safeties.

thunderkyss
11-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Definitely, although I think Antonio Smith is under-rated as an acquisition.

So is Wade Smith & Chris Myers.

The Pencil Neck
11-21-2011, 01:10 PM
. . . . hindsight being 20/20 and all. :stirpot:

At the time, and we can go back to the threads for this if we have to, I said that I wanted us to make a concerted attempt to sign Nnamdi but I wanted to go for Joseph.

Now.. I said that because I never thought Nnamdi was going to really want to come here and I wanted us to get the next highest rated player AND a good safety... which we did. And I was :hurrah: about that.

But I never expected JJo to come here and make the difference he's made. He has been a freaking monster.

Pantherstang84
11-21-2011, 01:18 PM
At the time, and we can go back to the threads for this if we have to, I said that I wanted us to make a concerted attempt to sign Nnamdi but I wanted to go for Joseph.

Now.. I said that because I never thought Nnamdi was going to really want to come here and I wanted us to get the next highest rated player AND a good safety... which we did. And I was :hurrah: about that.

But I never expected JJo to come here and make the difference he's made. He has been a freaking monster.

Ditto. Especially when it became obvious that Nnamdi was playing the Texans FO.

El Tejano
11-21-2011, 01:25 PM
I think it was safe to say that the second we signed Manning that day too. Anyone still want Eric Weddle. He's not doing so great either.

76Texan
11-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Asomugha was overrated, that much I've said!

And yes, the Eagles have been playing quite a bit of cover 2 just like the Raiders did.

And no, Aso doesn't shut down half of the field!

TdotTexas2Step
11-21-2011, 01:52 PM
I'm a huge Joseph fan, but I would have been totally fine with either him or Asomugha at the same price tag.

HOU-TEX
11-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Yep.

IMO, Nnamdi has a LeBron'ish quality to him.

Except Nnamdi's intelligent and isn't a dick.

hradhak
11-21-2011, 04:34 PM

My vote would go to Foster. But if you meant biggest known commodity FA acquisition, then yeah I definitely agree. We've had some bad free agent signings over the years

Double Barrel
11-21-2011, 04:47 PM
I'm a huge Joseph fan, but I would have been totally fine with either him or Asomugha at the same price tag.

Bingo! I think Aso would have looked great in Wade's defense, as well.

Remember Philly does not have a proven DC right now. And we, of all fan bases, should know how the results can be when a friend of a head coach is signed as a coordinator when he has no business being there to begin with...

texanfan2002114
11-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Eagles are tied for 4th in the NFL in sacks. Ahead of both the Texans and 49ers.

The only reason why they are ahead of the Texans is because they were on a bye. Texans were #2 heading into the weekend. Also they are only ahead of the Texans by 1 sack (29 to 28).

dalemurphy
11-21-2011, 05:29 PM
The only reason why they are ahead of the Texans is because they were on a bye. Texans were #2 heading into the weekend. Also they are only ahead of the Texans by 1 sack (29 to 28).

Both teams have now played 10 games. It is a fair comparison. The Texans and Eagles both get good pressure on the QB. Still, Joseph looks like a world-beater and Nnambi looks mediocre. I'm sure the Eagles will learn how to use Nnambi more effectively and he'll eventually play much better. That being said, the Texans got the younger guy and the guy that is fitting in perfectly with what they want to do. Oh, and he was cheaper. Way to go, Rick Smith and company!

TdotTexas2Step
11-21-2011, 05:53 PM
On another note, I don't think thanking our Texans front office for the Joseph signing carries much weight.

There's just sinking feeling in my stomach that if Nhamdi chose us over anyone else and stopped the negotiating games he was playing a few days earlier, we would have snatched him up no matter what the cost.

It was more of a fluke really.

Regardless, it played it out well for us.

ObsiWan
11-21-2011, 06:20 PM
On another note, I don't think thanking our Texans front office for the Joseph signing carries much weight.

There's just sinking feeling in my stomach that if Nhamdi chose us over anyone else and stopped the negotiating games he was playing a few days earlier, we would have snatched him up no matter what the cost.

I don't think so. If it had been a "no matter the cost" situation, we would have matched or exceeded the Philly offer. No, I think we had a figure in mind and once Nnamdi turned it down we said, "Thank you for stopping by. You can show yourself out."
"Somebody get Joseph on the phone!"

The Pencil Neck
11-21-2011, 06:23 PM

Our Front Office didn't wait until the very end for his decision. They made their offer. They waited for a response. When no response was forthcoming, they moved on. Commend them for that.

If Nnamdi had said, "Yes." They would have signed him. He was the highest rated CB on the market. No shame there.

But unlike previous years, they didn't allow themselves to be strung along and used as a bargaining chip to drive up someone else's price. Our FO did a great job in realizing that it was time to move on.

If Nnamdi was in our defense, maybe he'd be having another shutdown year, too. But instead, he got stuck with a rookie defensive coordinator who was an offensive line coach or something silly like that last year.

Our FO did good. They had an all around stellar off season and we've been reaping the benefits of it this year.

Double Barrel
11-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Joseph + Manning > Asomugha

:texflag:

TdotTexas2Step
11-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Okay, perhaps "no matter what the cost" was the wrong choice of words. But like I said, had he and his agent had stopped playing the games they were playing, there's a realistic possibility that we would have signed Nhamdi to a deal higher than the one we gave Joseph.

Regardless, like someone else noted, both would have looked crazy good in Wade's system.

Marcus
11-21-2011, 08:40 PM

Now you see, that is exactly what aggravates me about this fricken place. So quick to heave condemnation, but when praise is called for, like in this instance, it's like you just got told you need a root canal.

cland
11-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Joseph + Manning > Asomugha

:texflag:

I couldn't agree more! (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82908)

Texan_Bill
11-21-2011, 09:21 PM

No sir, you would be wrong! We wound up with TWO players for a slight more cost over Aso... The Texans (to their credit) weren't going to fall for the Leigh Bodden BS... They saw what Aso was all about and decided to sign two guys that actually wanted to be here....

The FO can take a lot of heat for a lot of things, but they actually got this one right!!! Props to them.

Fluke my arse!!! :texanbill:

dinkatoid
11-21-2011, 09:23 PM
I think the comparison is less Aso vs Joseph, and more Phillips vs Castillo.

When you looked at Aso vs Joseph, most people said the same thing: Aso was the better cover corner, but that's all he did in Oakland is play man to man. Joseph on the other hand gave up a bit in coverage, but was more versatile and played the run a little better. I believe pro football focus said the main thing Joseph had over Aso was he was better in press man coverage (at least I think it was PFF).

Phillips was said to value Joseph a bit more due to him being able to play so many ways well vs just 1 way really well. That is definitely showing up in what Wade is doing - being able to mix up coverages.

On the other hand, Castillo decides he wants to make Aso into the 2nd coming of Charles Woodson. The main problem with this is Aso is used to playing man and just not giving catches to the other team, he never really had to play zone or tackle a guy as they hardly caught the ball. For those of you who do not know much about Woodson and the packers D, Capers uses a nickel D the vast majority of the time. He can do this because he can deploy Woodson as a LB, Safety, or CB. Woodson literally floats around the D and goes where he needs to. He is a fantastic tackler.

Basically, here is the short of it:
We obviously made a good choice, because Joseph has been fantastic. He is younger and more versatile, making him more effective for Wade's D and I am sure the front office much prefers to give that much money to a younger guy. However, Aso is not as bad as he looks, he is just being used wrong by being deployed in too much zone and in a "floating" coverage (although they seem to have abandoned this pretty quick). His better games have been when he was deployed in almost exclusively man coverage.

thunderkyss
11-21-2011, 09:39 PM
No sir, you would be wrong! We wound up with TWO players for a slight more cost over Aso... The Texans (to their credit) weren't going to fall for the Leigh Bodden BS... They saw what Aso was all about and decided to sign two guys that actually wanted to be here....

The FO can take a lot of heat for a lot of things, but they actually got this one right!!! Props to them.

Fluke my arse!!! :texanbill:

They got it right, because Asomugha said, "No thanks....... "

Really?

Had they never made an attempt to get Aso, if their plan was to get Jjo & Manning/Weddle all along, then you're right.

As it is, it worked out for them. They didn't waste time playing games with Aso. We got two great FAs instead of one..... yes, they did great in those areas.

But it's not like they decided Jjo+Manning > Nnamdi Asomugha.....

Nnamdi made that decision for them.

ToroTD
11-21-2011, 09:50 PM

Love JonJo, but best free agent signing = Arian? idonno:

thunderkyss
11-21-2011, 09:50 PM
For those of you who do not know much about Woodson and the packers D, Capers uses a nickel D the vast majority of the time. He can do this because he can deploy Woodson as a LB, Safety, or CB. Woodson literally floats around the D and goes where he needs to. He is a fantastic tackler.

I think this is the idea Phillips has with Quin.

He's not a great Corner, but he's good enough to play nickel. He's a good tackler.... undersized for a LB, but he play's bigger. & he makes a fine safety.

Texan_Bill
11-21-2011, 10:36 PM
They got it right, because Asomugha said, "No thanks....... "

Really?

Had they never made an attempt to get Aso, if their plan was to get Jjo & Manning/Weddle all along, then you're right.

As it is, it worked out for them. They didn't waste time playing games with Aso. We got two great FAs instead of one..... yes, they did great in those areas.

But it's not like they decided Jjo+Manning > Nnamdi Asomugha.....

Nnamdi made that decision for them.

Not quite my point, but I think the Texans FO learned something form Leigh Bodden.. Make an offer and if they don't accept, move the **** on, quickly!!! The Texans did this and scored JJ & Manning at a better price than Aso was asking!!! See YA!!!

The Pencil Neck
11-21-2011, 11:12 PM
Love JonJo, but best free agent signing = Arian? idonno:

Veteran FA vs. UDFA. Basically two different things. This conversation is about veteran FAs.

Although we did make a higher offer to Arian Foster than most UDFAs get.

Corrosion
11-22-2011, 09:51 AM

For Aso its more of what they are asking him to do .... He's a press coverage guy and they are asking him to play like P-Burnt ..... lots of soft coverage which gives recievers room to force him into shifting his hips one way or the other then taking advantage of it ..... and he cant recover as his game isnt speed , its being physical.

This is another failure of the Iggles coaching staff ..... You dont ask a guy who's been the best at what he does for 3+ years to all the sudden do something totally different. (hey #80 go line up at QB).

Corrosion
11-22-2011, 09:55 AM
I don't think so. If it had been a "no matter the cost" situation, we would have matched or exceeded the Philly offer. No, I think we had a figure in mind and once Nnamdi turned it down we said, "Thank you for stopping by. You can show yourself out."
"Somebody get Joseph on the phone!"

This is absolute truth.