PDA

View Full Version : Hasselbeck says AFC South is “up for grabs”

CloakNNNdagger
11-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Scary thought. But, despite the Leinart thing, considering schedules of all the AFC teams, probably not that likely. Titans should have butts handed to them on several occasions before the season ends...........one of them still being by the Texans.

When attempting to predict the ultimate fate of the 2011 Texans, most focus on the question of whether the team can win with quarterback Matt Leinart in the postseason.

But first the Texans have to get to the postseason.

At 5-4, the Tennessee Titans can pull to withing a game of the 7-3 Texans, if the Titans can steal a victory in Atlanta on Sunday. With six games to play, either Houston or the team that used to be in Houston could seize the division crown.

And so it’s no surprise that Titans quarterback Matt Hasselbeck told Jim Rome on Friday that the AFC South can be won.

“The state of our division here in Tennessee is that it’s up for grabs,” Hasselbeck said on Rome’s syndicated radio show. “It really is up for grabs. Houston is clearly out in front, they’re clearly the leader, but this season there’s a lot more football to be played and we’re excited at least about the opportunity to still be in it.”

Favoring the Titans is the fact that Hasselbeck is the best healthy quarterback in the division.

“I’ve been really fortunate this year, I haven’t gotten hurt significantly, you kind of power through some things and I think that’s part of it,” Hasselbeck said. “What happens late in the year, the teams that are playing the best football are the teams that are able to take care of their bodies, be smart, and also get a little bit lucky.”

Though the Titans don’t have an easy path, with games upcoming against the Buccaneers, Bills, Saints, and in Week 17 the Texans, running back Chris Johnson seems to be gradually getting his groove back, and Hasselbeck has been the best transplanted passer of 2011.

So let’s not hand the Texans the crown just yet. The Titans may still have something up their sleeve.link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/18/hasselbeck-says-afc-south-is-up-for-grabs/)

TdotTexas2Step
11-18-2011, 09:45 PM
He's right, it's still very much up for grabs. We'll get a better indication of how close the race actually is after Leinart's game or two.

Playoffs
11-18-2011, 10:01 PM
It is.

Lucky
11-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Florio is a Texan hater. And the title of "Best healthy QB in the division" is up for grabs.

dream_team
11-18-2011, 10:11 PM
What else would you expect him to say? If he was realistic and said he didn't like their chances, he'd be benched and boo'd out of town.

Other players could probably get away with it, but not the QB.

NitroGSXR
11-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Hasselbeck needs to take care of business against the Falcons before he goes mouthing off on the AFC South.

TheDream34
11-18-2011, 10:34 PM
While he is right, we can't solely worry about Tennessee, we have to take care of our own business. Even with Leinart, we're still better than the rest of our opponents on our schedule.

EllisUnit
11-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Funny how he says this once Schaub goes down. I hope Leinart comes in and lights the NFL up the rest of the season. And when the titans come to our house, we have already clinched the South and a first round bye, and then lets see him run his mouth.

disaacks3
11-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Hasselbeck needs to take care of business against the Falcons before he goes mouthing off on the AFC South. Agreed.

Hasselbeck's intelligence is DEFINITELY up for grabs. :vincepalm:

JCTexan
11-18-2011, 11:25 PM
He should be totally focused on the Falcons right now. If Tennessee loses this week the division won't be up for grabs. Houston has an easier remaining schedule and has a huge advantage in the tiebreaker (3-0 to 1-2). Falling two games back might as well be three back with Houston holding the tiebreakers.

ThaShark316
11-19-2011, 02:12 AM
Word, Hasselbeck?

Yo, pimpin'; figure out how you're going to run the football vs. a top run D. Up for grabs? You 'bout to be 5-5, homie.

---

OK, sophisticated black man has returned. Sorry about that.

TexanSam
11-19-2011, 02:33 AM
Just some more chalkboard material for our guys. Maybe Hasselback forgot how we beat them earlier in the season.

scourge
11-19-2011, 02:45 AM
Agreed.

Hasselbeck's intelligence is DEFINITELY up for grabs. :vincepalm:

"We'll take the ball, and we're gonna score!"

SAMURAITEXAN
11-19-2011, 02:53 AM
With 5-4 record and 1.5 games behind, need something positive to motivate your team. I would say something similar to Hasselbeck said if I were in his shoes. But I do like Texans chances of winning AFC South.

Go Texans!!!

fiasco west
11-19-2011, 04:08 AM
@Atlanta
Tampa Bay
@Buffalo
New Orleans

I can easily...very easily see them going 1-3 the next 4 weeks.

I'm not worried yet. If they beat the Falcons I'll be a little worried, but really this is the Texans division to lose still. I'm going to have to see how the Texans play with Matt 2 before I really start worrying.

Thorn
11-19-2011, 06:09 AM
We're still good enough to win a crappy division and get into the playoffs without our starting QB. The only thing we need worry about is how long we last once we get into the playoffs.

BattleRedToro
11-19-2011, 06:32 AM
@Atlanta
Tampa Bay
@Buffalo
New Orleans

I'm not worried yet. If they beat the Falcons I'll be a little worried, but really this is the Texans division to lose still. I'm going to have to see how the Texans play with Matt 2 before I really start worrying.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Titans lost all four of those games. None of those teams are bad. The seemingly easiest game of those four is Tampa Bay at home, but you never know the Buccaneers might show up strong that day. They've had a tough time this year, but we must remember they did win 10 games last year.

ObsiWan
11-19-2011, 07:09 AM
We should send Hasselbeck a thank you card because that sounds like bulletin board material to me. We have a game and a half lead at the moment and for them to overtake us, they need to go 6-1 and we'll have to go 3-3. Without Schaub, 3-3 is possible but I don't see them going 6-1.

So thanks for the alert Hasselbeck.

Of course, if we actually needed that bulletin board material, something is bad wrong.

CloakNNNdagger
11-19-2011, 07:10 AM
@Atlanta
Tampa Bay
@Buffalo
New Orleans

Please don't use that phrase.........it gives me the willies.......just like the deja vu of past with:firehair: "this is the Texans wildcard to lose.":firehair:

thunderkyss
11-19-2011, 08:59 AM
While he is right, we can't solely worry about Tennessee, we have to take care of our own business. Even with Leinart, we're still better than the rest of our opponents on our schedule.

Are we really?

Depending on what Leinart does, we could be no better off than Jaxonville, especially if Andre does not come back. Heck of a running game, great defense..... no QB, no passing game.

We could be the 12-4 Patriots with Matt Cassel... who knows?

IDEXAN
11-19-2011, 09:15 AM
He should be totally focused on the Falcons right now. If Tennessee loses this week the division won't be up for grabs. Houston has an easier remaining schedule and has a huge advantage in the tiebreaker (3-0 to 1-2). Falling two games back might as well be three back with Houston holding the tiebreakers.

I agree, the game in ATL this weekend is huge for the Titans. If they happen to win then they are just a game behind the Texans and the pressure and all the uncertainty then shift squarely onto Leinart and his ability to be successful in his first game at Jacksonville. Now if the Titans lose this weekend, it's really a long-shot for them to win the division title, but right now things are looking up for Tenneesse as I'm hearing that stud ATL rookie WR Julio Jones isn't playing Sunday ?

Kthx
11-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Geez im terrible at posting images for some reason.

http://i.imgur.com/ZKnCL.jpg (http://imgur.com/ZKnCL)

The Pencil Neck
11-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Until we clench the division, it's up for grabs as far as I'm concerned.

I've got no problem with him saying this.

As badly as we destroyed them, if we drop a few games with Leinart and the Titans figure out a way to win some games they should lose, they can win the division.

We have to do that "stepping on the throat" except for the season instead of just for a game. Let's just win out and take this thing and get a week to rest.

Ryan
11-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Hasselbeck needs to take care of business against the Falcons before he goes mouthing off on the AFC South.

But didn't you already say the Texans are "finished"? So it sounds like he can say whatever because he'll have an easy trip to the postseason. :kitten:

ThaShark316
11-19-2011, 12:04 PM
But didn't you already say the Texans are "finished"? So it sounds like he can say whatever because he'll have an easy trip to the postseason. :kitten:

Exactly. Don't come in this thread talking reckless when you were saying 1-5 and "we're done". Lost those privileges.

TheGoldenGreek
11-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Hey Matt Hasselbeck, you know what else is up for grabs?

http://realtalkthemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Marshawn-Lynch-hold-my-dick.jpeg

devo-x
11-19-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm a Falcons fan for this weekend only! Beat the Titans!

Norg
11-19-2011, 02:29 PM
i can see them losing all 4 games going 5-8

I think ATL tampa Bills Saints are all better then the titans

HJam72
11-19-2011, 03:54 PM
i can see them losing all 4 games going 5-8

I think ATL tampa Bills Saints are all better then the titans

Could be. I'd have to laugh.

MEGA SWATT
11-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Funny how he says this once Schaub goes down. I hope Leinart comes in and lights the NFL up the rest of the season. And when the titans come to our house, we have already clinched the South and a first round bye, and then lets see him run his mouth.

I like it.:tiphat:

TimeKiller
11-19-2011, 04:29 PM
I love it. Using the "We're not eliminated until we're mathematically eliminated" approach. Good. Good one, we're all too familiar with that one. Let them play with slim chances for a while. We'll take our division lead, 7-3 record.

thunderkyss
11-19-2011, 04:45 PM
I love it. Using the "We're not eliminated until we're mathematically eliminated" approach. Good. Good one, we're all too familiar with that one. Let them play with slim chances for a while. We'll take our division lead, 7-3 record.

If the Patriots or Ravens were to say the #1 seed was still up for grabs, would we react with the same short-sightedness that we've reacted to Hasselbeck's comments?

I could see if this was Gabbert or Painter saying this, but Hasselbeck is right. It's totally possible that we lose 3 games, heck, several of our own members believe that will be the case.

We're not so far ahead that we can start "resting our starters."

Kubiak knows this, the Texans know this, I don't think it's a big deal that Matt Hasselbeck vocalized as much. IF there are any Texans who forgot this fact, I hope that this reminds them.

Texans_Chick
11-19-2011, 08:33 PM
According to the odds based on wins to date, tiebreakers and future projected strength of schedule, even if the Texans regress to a league average team with Leinart, they have a probability of over 85% to win the AFC South.
Playoff Probabilities: Week 11 (http://www.advancednflstats.com/2011/11/playoff-probabilities-week-11.html#more)

It's not over until it is over and all that but I hope the Texans stomp the Titans again at home.

NitroGSXR
11-19-2011, 11:57 PM
Exactly. Don't come in this thread talking reckless when you were saying 1-5 and "we're done". Lost those privileges.

I never quoted a w/l prediction. We ARE finished ... even if we make the playoffs. I WILL come in here and state that Hasselbeck needs to worry about the Falcons or HE will be finished and the Texans won't factor into anything. This is a classic case of premature self-ejaculation on Hasselbeck`s part.

HJam72
11-20-2011, 04:06 AM
I never quoted a w/l prediction. We ARE finished ... even if we make the playoffs. I WILL come in here and state that Hasselbeck needs to worry about the Falcons or HE will be finished and the Texans won't factor into anything. This is a classic case of premature self-ejaculation on Hasselbeck`s part.

Well, at least this way he gets to.

rush2112mn
11-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Does it surprise me he would say that....no. He is trying to be optisimistic about their chances.
That being said, that makes for good bullentin board material for the Texans.
I am sure that when the Titans come to town....there will be some heated exchanges....just like in Jax next week......

thunderkyss
11-20-2011, 10:01 AM
I don't know how that would make good bulletin board material. That's the same thing that should have been on the board for weeks.

Same thing with the conference. We're half a game ahead of the Ravens, but the #1 seed is up for grabs. We've still got a lot of work to do. We've still got to stay on our game. If we slip, we let the Ravens in. We let the Titans in.

The AFC is up for Grabs, the AFCSouth is up for grabs.

Believe that!!

thunderkyss
11-20-2011, 10:02 AM
I don't know how that would make good bulletin board material. That's the same thing that should have been on the board for weeks.

Same thing with the conference. We're half a game ahead of the Ravens, but the #1 seed is up for grabs. We've still got a lot of work to do. We've still got to stay on our game. If we slip, we let the Ravens in. We let the Titans in.

Believe that!!

ObsiWan
11-20-2011, 10:08 AM

Believe that!!

I understand your point. The only thing that has been truly and unquestionably settled is that Indy has been mathematically eliminated. Strange things can happen. No one can really say what WILL happen.

BUT...

As long as our guys keep to the "We try to go One and Oh every week" mantra (and the injury demon decides to go pick on someone else) I think things will work out in our favor.

burro
11-20-2011, 10:26 AM
We shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves. It's not over until it's over, especially when there is a Houston sports team involved. Never underestimate God's unwavering hatred of this city. That being said, our work is cut out for us and we are capable of doing what needs to be done.

Wolf
11-20-2011, 10:46 AM
I don't have a problem with his statement.

They need to take care of business and we need to take care of our own business.

quite honestly, what is he supposed to say?
Esp with knowing the only way any AFC South team is going to the playoffs is by winning the division

I also feel we will beat them in week 17 (barring we don't get anymore injuries)

EllisUnit
11-20-2011, 03:34 PM
haha well they are losing 7-0 and d-rob just picked off a Hasselback pass.

Doppelganger
11-20-2011, 03:48 PM
haha well they are losing 7-0 and d-rob just picked off a Hasselback pass.

10-0 now. Tennessee had a great goal line stance to prevent the Falcons from punching it in. Hopefully the Titans go 3 and out on the next series.

Hervoyel
11-20-2011, 05:23 PM
23-3 now. It looks like the AFC South may be up for grabs but the Titans got a case of the drops.

Stemp
11-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Hasselbeck's job may be up for grabs. Injured his elbow, Locker is now in.

ObsiWan
11-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Hasselbeck's job may be up for grabs. Injured his elbow, Locker is now in.

And Locker just threw a TD pass....

GP
11-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Atlanta has serious problems with Red Zone opportunities.

The whole offense looks out of sync. For every pass Roddy White is hauling in, he's dropping or alligator-arming 2 or 3.

Outside of Tony Gonzalez and Turner (who looks like MJD, Jr. out there) there's not much to the Falcons offense. And they are not punching it into the end zone when they get inside the 20...their run game is very bland and easily stuffed down there.

ObsiWan
11-20-2011, 05:51 PM

The whole offense looks out of sync. For every pass Roddy White is hauling in, he's dropping or alligator-arming 2 or 3.

Outside of Tony Gonzalez and Turner (who looks like MJD, Jr. out there) there's not much to the Falcons offense. And they are not punching it into the end zone when they get inside the 20...their run game is very bland and easily stuffed down there.

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing that.
and yet, he's got 7 catches for 147 yds
:um:

HJam72
11-20-2011, 05:54 PM

Ain't it nice to look at some pretty good teams around the league and think, "Meh, we'd beat them down."???

thunderkyss
11-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Looks like Hasselbeck's job is up for grabs.

ObsiWan
11-20-2011, 06:13 PM
Looks like Hasselbeck's job is up for grabs.

If Mike Smith had any sense, ATL would be up by 9 instead of just 6 right now.

steds
11-20-2011, 06:14 PM
I find the way Locker is playing troubling. Could be a good'un.

iLoveTexans
11-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Atlanta is about to Win! Don't have to worry about the Titans anymore..Hopefully..:boogie:

HJam72
11-20-2011, 06:19 PM
I find the way Locker is playing troubling. Could be a good'un.

Could be that the AFC South is up for grabs when Hasselback is on the bench.

Edit: Nevermind; game over; too late, LOL.

SAMURAITEXAN
11-20-2011, 06:30 PM
While we are resting this week, both Titans and Jags lost. Nice bye week for the Texans.

Go Texans!!!

HJam72
11-20-2011, 06:32 PM
While we are resting this week, both Titans and Jags lost. Nice bye week for the Texans.

Go Texans!!!

Almost feels like we're the Colts or something, except Ron Dayne couldn't run on us all day.

SAMURAITEXAN
11-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Almost feels like we're the Colts or something, except Ron Dayne couldn't run on us all day.

Yep, while sitting on the top, other foes self destruct.

Go Texans!!!

texanfan2002114
11-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Peter King just reported on Sunday night football that Hasselbeck strained his elbow and will have an MRI tomorrow morning.

Stemp
11-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Peter King just reported on Sunday night football that Hasselbeck strained his elbow and will have an MRI tomorrow morning.

Karma is a ***** for all the Titans fans celebrating Schaub's injury.

TexCanada
11-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Sooo....Painter, Leinart, Gabbert and Locker? Doesn't quite stack up to Manning, Schaub, Garrard and Young.

ObsiWan
11-20-2011, 08:07 PM

Go Texans!!!

Yep, while sitting on the top, other foes self destruct.

Go Texans!!!

If only the Bengals had come thru for us...
oh well, some things we have to do ourselves.

80tothezone
11-20-2011, 08:19 PM
and it looks like hasselback has more butter on his fingers than the keebler elves!!! Go Texans way to have a good bye week fir once!!!

Allstar
11-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Evan Silva
Mike Munchak said Hasselbeck "no doubt" remains starter when healthy. Interested to see how healthy #Titans medical staff deems him to be.

b0ng
11-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Who's laughin now. Who's laughin now.

HJam72
11-21-2011, 04:46 AM
I can't believe GoTitans.com hasn't kicked me off their site. My name (on that board) alone is insulting and I gave them an earful last week when some were talking $^!+ after Schaub went down. Anyway, I'm still there.

41-7 is gonna be like the 19-10 thing for a while.

toronto
11-21-2011, 05:35 AM
Karma is a ***** for all the Titans fans celebrating Schaub's injury.

Relax.

Pantherstang84
11-21-2011, 06:15 AM
If only the Bengals had come thru for us...
oh well, some things we have to do ourselves.

And the Texans failed in that regard.

HOU-TEX
11-21-2011, 09:31 AM
10-0 now. Tennessee had a great goal line stance to prevent the Falcons from punching it in. Hopefully the Titans go 3 and out on the next series.

Wow! Their stance alone kept them from scoring? That's a powerful defense!

Heh, heh, just playin bro.

Lucky
11-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Who's laughin now. Who's laughin now.
Not me. Locker is better than Hasselbeck.

b0ng
11-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Not me. Locker is better than Hasselbeck.

Might be but I doubt he propels the titanic to a playoff berth

toronto
11-21-2011, 10:03 AM

5-5 with 4 losses in the conference = where are we drafting?

Lucky
11-21-2011, 10:03 AM
No, but he does pickup experience for next season. The Titans should be playing Locker at this point, regardless of Hasselbeck's health.

drunkcookie
11-21-2011, 10:11 AM
And the Texans failed in that regard.

Hence "some things we have to do ourselves"...

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using Tapakeg

toronto
11-21-2011, 10:20 AM

Falcons werent preparing for Locker - give teams a chance to get film on him. Big difference.

That said, you can see the team playing hard for him, clearly he's a hard worker at practice - seemed like he was getting better protection, plus he's mobile and was able to buy himself some time.

What did surprise me was his accuracy - the biggest knock on him has always been this...

thunderkyss
11-21-2011, 10:28 AM
No, but he does pickup experience for next season. The Titans should be playing Locker at this point, regardless of Hasselbeck's health.

That's what I was thinking. If they had won last night & they think Hasselbeck gives them the best chance of winning.... Matt continues as the starter.

Going two and a half games down in the division... unless they still think they can win 10 games, Locker should start.

I can see them not making the move until next week though. See how our game turns out with Jacksonville & see if they can pull out a win vs Tampa @home. They are still #8 (http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/type/playoffs) in the play-off hunt & things are not going the way anyone thought they would this season.

toronto
11-21-2011, 10:55 AM
That's what I was thinking. If they had won last night & they think Hasselbeck gives them the best chance of winning.... Matt continues as the starter.

Going two and a half games down in the division... unless they still think they can win 10 games, Locker should start.

I can see them not making the move until next week though. See how our game turns out with Jacksonville & see if they can pull out a win vs Tampa @home. They are still #8 (http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/type/playoffs) in the play-off hunt & things are not going the way anyone thought they would this season.

This is a weird year for the AFC - after years of dominating 'obvious' picks to win the conference, this year every team is flawed with bad losses on their ledger.

The NFC;s elite (GB, SF) have really separated themselves in that conference, and the Bears, who were coming on, have suffered a monster blow with Cutler's injury.

Allstar
11-21-2011, 01:33 PM

And we lost to the Ravens, hence "the Texans failed in that regard."

JCTexan
11-21-2011, 01:53 PM
This is a weird year for the AFC - after years of dominating 'obvious' picks to win the conference, this year every team is flawed with bad losses on their ledger.

The NFC;s elite (GB, SF) have really separated themselves in that conference, and the Bears, who were coming on, have suffered a monster blow with Cutler's injury.

I don't think Pittsburgh has a bad loss yet. On the road vs. Houston and twice against Baltimore. New England's worse loss was on the road against Buffalo. They also lost against the Giants and @Pittsburgh. Not really a bad loss there imo. Houston is pretty much in the same boat as those two. Two of Houston's losses were on the road against playoff caliber teams (Baltimore & New Orleans) and a close loss at home against a team leading their division (Raiders). I wouldn't say any of these teams have had 'bad losses' yet but they're all definitely beatable.

drunkcookie
11-21-2011, 01:57 PM

And we lost to the Ravens, hence "the Texans failed in that regard."

Lol...point being, "the Texans failed in that regard" was rhetorical...

Edit: i'm a dumbass, i meant "redundant"... Head is not on straight today...

axman40
11-21-2011, 03:47 PM
This Sunday the Texans start to nail down the South with a win in Jax!
:texflag: