PDA

View Full Version : Former Rice QB Chase Clement (to work for the Texans)

Kgbmedic
11-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Just saw this thought I would share. Don't know much about him so can't really comment one way or another.

31 minutes ago - by Brandon Williams - QB from Rice to work out for Texans
Former Rice QB Chase Clement will work out with the club on Monday. Clement, who led Las Vegas to the UFL championship game this season, accounted for 125 career touchdowns in college and led the Owls to the 2008 Texas Bowl title. Texans RapidReports

Insideop
11-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Chronicle is confirming this. http://blog.chron.com/owls/2011/11/former-rice-qb-clement-to-work-out-for-texans/

I don't remember how big or mobile he is. Anyone have any data on him?

Allstar
11-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Thread title is confusing.

ArlingtonTexan
11-18-2011, 10:23 PM
Chronicle is confirming this. http://blog.chron.com/owls/2011/11/former-rice-qb-clement-to-work-out-for-texans/

I don't remember how big or mobile he is. Anyone have any data on him?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/chase-clement?id=89700

AnthonyE
11-18-2011, 10:34 PM
BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter awarded all-Conference honors the past three seasons and named Conference USA MVP as a senior. Totals last season included 66.5%/4,119/44 through the air and 154/693/12 on the ground. Junior passing totals included 59.1%/3,377/29/16. Owns 18 school records at Rice.
POSITIVES: Clement benefited from the passing system at Rice and is a prospect who makes the most of his abilities. He'll have to switch. He must move to either running back or safety if he's to find a place at the next level. Clement looks like he'll offer ability on special teams.
NEGATIVES: Does not throw with proper fundamentals and consistently releases the ball off his back foot. Must learn to put touch on throws. Cannot drive deep passes. Poor pass placement and consistently has targets getting vertical or reaching backwards to grab the throw.
ANALYSIS: Productive college passer who lacks the size and skill to be a signal caller at the next level. Patient in the pocket, goes through receiver progressions, and looks away from covered targets. Effectively controls the offense, makes proper decisions, and is a solid short or intermediate range passer. Displays a lot of toughness carrying the ball and picks up yardage with his legs.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2009/draft/players/9443.html#ixzz1e7f7eY5X

Sounds like a bit of a project.

CloakNNNdagger
11-18-2011, 11:02 PM
This NFL.com analysis is kinder to him as far as "strengths," but his 6'1" 210# does not put him "head and shoulders above" virtually anyone.

Analysis

Strengths: Tough, savvy, intelligent signal caller who knows the ins and outs of his offense and makes good decisions. Some zip on arm strength for short- and medium-range passes over the middle and to the sidelines. Good touch on fades. Able to go through possessions and look off safety to open up space in the secondary. Generally poised in the pocket, has quiet feet and will throw the ball despite knowing he's going to get hit. Good mobility to get more than just an occasional first down with his legs. Throws accurately running to the left or right.

Weaknesses: Shorter than teams prefer for the position. Gets lost in a collapsing pocket. Runs a spread/zone-read offense, and must work on taking snaps under center. Arm strength past 20 yards is suspect. Looks to coaches for pre-snap adjustments. Winds up a bit in his delivery, allowing defenders to read his eyes. Needs to work on securing the ball when running downfield. Will take off a bit early and receive big hits as he doesn't slide as much as he should.

Thorn
11-19-2011, 04:31 AM
A write up on Chase Clement I found.

OMAHA, Neb. For a guy who was looking for a chance to change his luck, it's fitting that Chase Clement ended up in Las Vegas.

The Las Vegas Locomotives' quarterback, who started the year as the teams' third-string quarterback, capped a whirlwind month by throwing for 237 yards and two touchdowns to be named Most Valuable Player of Saturday's United Football League Championship Game, won by the Locos 23-20.

http://www.ufl-football.com/news/chase-clements-2010-ufl-season-astounding-journey

Thorn
11-19-2011, 06:00 AM
Here's a video highlights of the 2010 UFL championship game where Clemet was the MVP. He made a couple of nice passes. At least he's been busy playing football the last couple of years, but until this situation came up, no one in the NFL was apparently interested in him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ebvYQgwyVQ

IDEXAN
11-19-2011, 09:20 AM
I like this move. Atleast this guy has been playing some football lately, though I'm certainly not saying he's been seeing NFL-leveel competition but
he's been making passes under the rush and taking some hits.

ObsiWan
11-19-2011, 09:27 AM
I like this move. Atleast this guy has been playing some football lately, though I'm certainly not saying he's been seeing NFL-leveel competition but
he's been making passes under the rush and taking some hits.

I think this also an admission by Smithiak, as if there was any real doubt, the fact that Schaub will not be back this season; not even for the playoffs.

dream_team
11-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Here's a video highlights of the 2010 UFL championship game where Clemet was the MVP. He made a couple of nice passes. At least he's been busy playing football the last couple of years, but until this situation came up, no one in the NFL was apparently interested in him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ebvYQgwyVQ

Is that the same Nick Novak now kicking for the Chargers?

thunderkyss
11-19-2011, 09:40 AM
I think this also an admission by Smithiak, as if there was any real doubt, the fact that Schaub will not be back this season; not even for the playoffs.

I think Kubiak has been pretty honest about the situation. Some folks are jumping to conclusions that we aren't prepared to accept yet.

Working this guy out doesn't mean anything other than there is a good chance that Schaub might go on IR. Which Kubiak has already said. They want to make sure there is no chance of him coming back at any time before they do something they can't undo.

Mario for instance may be "able" to play by the second week of the play-offs, but since someone told them he was done for the year, there's no way we can bring him back.

Their just doing their due diligence with Schaub, we'll know if they're going to IR Schaub next week.

Kgbmedic
11-19-2011, 11:26 AM
I agree it doesn't hurt to hedge your bets and look at some people. That way if he is truly done for the year then they already have been looking at people and have a better idea of whom they should bring in for back up.

I guess his job as a insurance man didn't pan out for him. He initially gave up football to work in the insurance industry. I haven't watched much UFL at all so I don't know if the competition level is that high.

The Pencil Neck
11-19-2011, 11:47 AM
This is a guy that probably goes to our practice squad.

If we don't have faith in Yates as the #2, that's when we'll see someone like a Garrard signed to the active roster and Schaub moved to IR.

CloakNNNdagger
11-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Is that the same Nick Novak now kicking for the Chargers?

Yep,

Best kicker/punter in the UFL. Early this year, the Jets picked him up but waived him, after which the Chargers picked him up.

CoastalTexan
11-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Rice is the new Colorado State, one of Kubiak's real kids is on the team.

We have drafted Casey and the LB from last years draft. Now we have picked up Chase Clement...

We have gone from drafting the powerhouse Colorado State Rams to the new CUSA powerhouse Rice Owls.

Jackie Chiles
11-19-2011, 05:41 PM

We have drafted Casey and the LB from last years draft. Now we have picked up Chase Clement...

We have gone from drafting the powerhouse Colorado State Rams to the new CUSA powerhouse Rice Owls.

Casey and Clement never played with his son. Oh, and if we have a chance at finding some more Caseys, Dreesens and Brisiels we should continue to go back to the well.

ObsiWan
11-19-2011, 05:45 PM

are you saying he's been signed?! I thought he was coming in for an audition...??

thunderkyss
11-19-2011, 05:51 PM

We haven't picked up Chase Clement, he's supposed to come in for a workout Monday.

As interesting as it is though, We've got Brian Cushing, Shuan Cody, & Matt Leinart from USC.

Demeco Ryans, Andre Caldwell, & Kareem Jackson from Alabama.

Andre Johnson, Eric Winston, Darryl Sharpton, Brandon Harris, Rashard Butler, & Chris Myers from the U

CoastalTexan
11-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Kubiak seems to pick his schools he gets players from and stick with them. I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick up more Rice players now that his son is on the team.