PDA

View Full Version : You are what your record says you are??

thunderkyss
11-17-2011, 04:17 PM
So I'm looking at our game vs Atlanta.

Many (most) here think this is a game that we may not win... at home. Others think it may be one of the more challenging games on our schedule, but think we will win. Few think we can pencil in the W right now.

They're 5-4, looking at their record, they are at least better than mediocre. They are obviously good enough to win some games.

However, many (most) of us have different thoughts, all together, about the 5-4 Tennessee Titans. They are not a good team..... period.

Is that our rose colored, homer, division rival glasses talking? Or is there a quantifiable reason we should believe the Titans are a totally poor team?

Dutchrudder
11-17-2011, 04:23 PM
They pass a lot, and if our front 7 doesn't get enough pressure on Matt Ryan, then our #2 and #3 CBs are going to need to step up. It will be a good test for Kjax and Allen to see how well they match up against Julio Jones and Harry Douglas.

Goatcheese
11-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Worlds most inaccurate cliche.

A 21-20 loss to Greenbay is nowhere near as bad as a 100-0 loss to the Colts.

The Cougars are undefeated and nobody in the universe thinks they're the equal of teams like LSU.

paycheck71
11-17-2011, 04:43 PM
I don't really think the Titans stink. A few factors played into their slow start to the season: new coach, new QB - both of those intensified by the lockout - CJ holding out...

I scanned both ATL and TEN schedules, and they seem to be fairly comparable so far. So, I'd say those teams may not be as far apart as some may think. I think the perception of the Titans not being any good was mainly based on the new QB coming in who was going to get hurt by game 3...

Does that mean I think we'll beat ATL in a blowout? No, but we should be favored in a home game against them.

Goatcheese
11-17-2011, 04:56 PM
I don't think their losses are that similar at all.

Losses-

TEN:
@JAC 16-14 Loss to a Bad team on the road
@PIT 38-17 Blow out loss to a good team in their house
HOU 41-7 Blow out loss to a good team in your own house
CIN 24-17 Loss to a mediocre/overrated team in your own house

ATL:
@CHI 30-12 Loss to a good team in their house
@TB 16-13 Loss to a mediocre team in their house
GB 25-14 Loss to the best team in the NFL
NO 26-23 Overtime loss to a division powerhouse

TEN would have lost all of the game ATL lost and I think ATL would beat JAC and CIN.

paycheck71
11-17-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't think their losses are that similar at all.

Losses-

TEN:
@JAC 16-14 Loss to a Bad team on the road
@PIT 38-17 Blow out loss to a good team in their house
HOU 41-7 Blow out loss to a good team in your own house
CIN 24-17 Loss to a mediocre/overrated team in your own house

ATL:
@CHI 30-12 Loss to a good team in their house
@TB 16-13 Loss to a mediocre team in their house
GB 25-14 Loss to the best team in the NFL
NO 26-23 Overtime loss to a division powerhouse

TEN would have lost all of the game ATL lost and I think ATL would beat JAC and CIN.

Like I said, it was a quick scan of the schedule. Let's look at the wins then, too.

TEN:
BAL 26-13 Unexpected win vs a good team
DEN 17-14
@CLE 31-13 Drilled a bad team
IND 27-10 I guess shouldn't have been this close
@CAR 30-3 Blowout

ATL:
PHI 35-31 win over the "dream team"
@SEA 30-28 this close? @sea?
CAR 31-17
@DET 23-16 the lions started falling apart
@IND 31-7 as expected

To me, these wins are comparable, I'd equate TEN's win over BAL to ATL's win at DET, the rest are vs mediocre to bad teams. They're playing each other this week, so we'll see, I guess.

Goatcheese
11-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Like I said, it was a quick scan of the schedule. Let's look at the wins then, too.

To me, these wins are comparable, I'd equate TEN's win over BAL to ATL's win at DET, the rest are vs mediocre to bad teams. They're playing each other this week, so we'll see, I guess.

The difference is that Baltimore is terrible on the road and Atlanta beat the Lions in their own house.

The Pencil Neck
11-17-2011, 05:36 PM
A lot of it has to do with expectations.

The Falcons were a playoff team last year. They've got a young team that's supposed to be up and coming.

The Titans weren't good last year and they changed their coaching staff in an offseason where they couldn't work with the players.

The Titans weren't expected to be very good while the Falcons were expected to press the Saints for that division.

But the Titans are better than most people here give them credit for. It's easy for us to overlook them because we drilled them so freaking thoroughly but they're a better team than that and say what you want about them, but they've gotten themselves into a position to make it into the playoffs.

If we falter now, they could take the division. Luckily for us, the end of their schedule is harder than ours.

Now... the Falcons? I think they're over-rated but still dangerous. I think the Bengals are the more dangerous team right now.

And Parcells statement about "You are who your record says you are" just means that at the end of the season, you make the playoffs or you don't because of your record. It doesn't mean that all 5-4 teams are created equal or that if you beat one 5-4 team, you're going to beat another one.