PDA

View Full Version : What about a vet QB such as David Garrard as a back up to Leinart?

Hardcore Texan
11-15-2011, 01:51 PM
I know Kubiak won't hand the keys over to the offense to someone that hasn't been in the system awhile and I am not suggesting that. But what about him coming in and backing up Matt while getting some exposure to the offense. We need to stay proactive given how we are suddenly thin at the position.

Positives:

- He's strong, atheletic, and durable.
- He's a veteran with a lot of starting experience
- Could run the bootlegs, play action, etc. with ease, seems like a good system QB.
- Strong arm

Negatives:

- He was cut by the Jags for some reason, McCown was elevated and now the rook Blaine Gabbert is starting.
- He had surgery on a herniated disc in his back (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82335c8c/article/exjaguars-qb-garrard-needs-surgery-for-herniated-disc) about a month ago. Expected 4 - 6 weeks recovery time.

I say bring him in and work him out, see how the injury and recovery is going. He could sit behind Leinart, it would be a lot better that having to go with Yates if it came to that. I know I would feel better with him in there over Yates, and it might even provide a little competetion at practice and keep Matt working hard.

Thoughts?

Norg
11-15-2011, 01:53 PM
i think hes in rehab but for a couple of mill i bet he would come back injured or not

The Pencil Neck
11-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Let's see what we have with Leinart. I mean, the coaching staff should have some idea of what he can do and what he can't but we really don't.

Although, I'd be fine if the coaches decided it was time to panic and rush out and grab someone off the street, I'm not going to be worried if they don't.

But I'm not sure Garrard is ready to play physically and he definitely doesn't know our playbook like either Leinart or Yates.

Hardcore Texan
11-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Let's see what we have with Leinart. I mean, the coaching staff should have some idea of what he can do and what he can't but we really don't.

Although, I'd be fine if the coaches decided it was time to panic and rush out and grab someone off the street, I'm not going to be worried if they don't.

But I'm not sure Garrard is ready to play physically and he definitely doesn't know our playbook like either Leinart or Yates.

Oh I definitely want to see what we have with Matt. And there is no doubt we will. As I stated Kubes will not just hand the keys over to someone that hasn't been around awhile and knows the system.

But somebody has to back up Leinart. I hope Matt lights it up, I really do. I love hearing he has been working hard at his craft. But if something happens and Yates has to go in the game color me SCARED!

If Garrard is healthy, it's perfect timing. The bye week is on us, next opponent is JAX. It would certainly take him awhile to learn the offense, but he's a smart player with a lot of experience. I'd rather take a veteran like him who doesn't know the playbook over Yates who does.

We need a veteran back up, since our veteran back up is now our starter. I don't see it as a panic move, as I am not suggesting he start.

rush2112mn
11-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Garrad is out with back surgery recovery....he wont be able to play for a while......

BigBull17
11-15-2011, 02:07 PM
A) He's out.
B) He doesn't know the offense.
C) He's not that good.

HOU-TEX
11-15-2011, 02:08 PM
A) He's out.
C) He's not that good.

/Thread/

Hardcore Texan
11-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Think of it this way. Leinart has 2 weeks to prepare for the Jags. For argument's sake only let's say he stinks it up. Certainly Kubes will give him another start to try and improve (especially over Yates). If he stinks it up a 2nd time, then what?

We need to be proactive with a contigency plan. This would give Garrard 4 weeks to start learing the offense. Again, health being the deciding factor here. That's why I say it can't hurt to work him out.

Hardcore Texan
11-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Garrad is out with back surgery recovery....he wont be able to play for a while......

Read the link I embedded in the first post. 4-6 weeks recovery time. It's been a month. What's wrong with seeing where he is.

A) He's out.
C) He's not that good.

A) See above
B) See above
C) He's not all that bad either. Who else is available Old Man Favre? You really want TJ Yates as our only option?

/Thread/

I expected something a little more thought provoking from you H-Tex. Thanks :tiphat:

HOU-TEX
11-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Read the link I embedded in the first post. 4-6 weeks recovery time. It's been a month. What's wrong with seeing where he is.

A) See above
B) See above
C) He's not all that bad either. Who else is available Old Man Favre? You really want TJ Yates as our only option?

I expected something a little more thought provoking from you H-Tex. Thanks :tiphat:

BigBull pretty much nailed it. He's not healthy yet, according to his tweet today stating:

Good morning! Getting some good treatment this morning! Back is getting better everyday. I was set back with spasm for ten days.

He doesn't know the playbook and would take quite some time to learn it

And, he's not very good. I'd throw TJ in before him in a heartbeat.

I think we'll pick someone up as an emergency QB or even practice squad, but not someone who's made it known he wanted to start.

Allstar
11-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Dear Lord, this is starting to feel like the "official" boards.

Hardcore Texan
11-15-2011, 02:36 PM
BigBull pretty much nailed it. He's not healthy yet, according to his tweet today stating:

He doesn't know the playbook and would take quite some time to learn it

And, he's not very good. I'd throw TJ in before him in a heartbeat.

I think we'll pick someone up as an emergency QB or even practice squad, but not someone who's made it known he wanted to start.

Thanks for posting the tweet. I couldn't find anything on him on nfl.com as I did do some digging before I posted this, but I didn't think to check twitter. Seems my idea is far fetched if his health has not progressed at all.

From everything I have heard Garrard has still wanted to start though.

I still maintain we need a veteran back up. I wouldn't want to see Yates be trotted out there with playoff implications on the line.

Hardcore Texan
11-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Dear Lord, this is starting to feel like the "official" boards.

I almost started not to even post this thread and this is why. Can't even have a civil discussion without a-hole comments such as this. Go enjoy all the other quality threads then. Apparently your feel fine with Leinart starting and Yates as the back up.

The idea was to discuss possible veteran back ups, Garrard was the only guy I could think of besides Favre.

I was wrong, we are fine. We don't need an emergency QB if Leinart goes down.

Rey
11-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Maybe Garrard from 2 or 3 years ago, but not this guy...

I could be completely wrong about his capabilities right now, but I don't see him as a guy that is going to come in and help us...

Allstar
11-15-2011, 02:50 PM
I almost started not to even post this thread and this is why. Can't even have a civil discussion without a-hole comments such as this. Go enjoy all the other quality threads then. Apparently your feel fine with Leinart starting and Yates as the back up.

The idea was to discuss possible veteran back ups, Garrard was the only guy I could think of besides Favre.

It's simply not realistic at this point. Gary is gonna stick with his guys, we all know that.

Rey
11-15-2011, 02:51 PM

Good post...Rep....

Hardcore Texan
11-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Maybe Garrard from 2 or 3 years ago, but not this guy...

I could be completely wrong about his capabilities right now, but I don't see him as a guy that is going to come in and help us...

Was it the injury that led to his poor performance in the pre-season? That's what I took it as but haven't been able to find anything definitive. What I read seem to indicate the injury had been present awhile. If it was loss of desire, lack of dedciation, etc. than I wouldn't want him.

BigBull17
11-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Was it the injury that led to his poor performance in the pre-season? That's what I took it as but haven't been able to find anything definitive. What I read seem to indicate the injury had been present awhile. If it was loss of desire, lack of dedciation, etc. than I wouldn't want him.

He had one brief flash of being decent then fell apart. He is a game manager who sometimes makes really bad decisions. IF he had some time to learn, I would be more open to it. But at this point, Yates is a much better option.

ChampionTexan
11-15-2011, 03:08 PM

As long as Leinart's the starter, I honestly don't think a veteran presence on the team does anything but potentially destroy the chemistry that will be needed to see any kind of success. However if that were to be the direction the Texans go, one name I haven't seen mentioned is Jeff Garcia. He definitely has a background and familiarity with a West Coast style offense, and it wouldn't be the first time he's taken over a playoff contender mid-season. Hasn't been on an NFL roster since '09, but he's only 31 years old, and did play 8 games in the UFL last season. Again, I don't think the Texans should be looking in that direction right now, but if they decided otherwise, I definitely like him better than Garrard or Favre.

Hardcore Texan
11-15-2011, 03:14 PM
As long as Leinart's the starter, I honestly don't think a veteran presence on the team does anything but potentially destroy the chemistry that will be needed to see any kind of success. However if that were to be the direction the Texans go, one name I haven't seen mentioned is Jeff Garcia. He definitely has a background and familiarity with a West Coast style offense, and it wouldn't be the first time he's taken over a playoff contender mid-season. Hasn't been on an NFL roster since '09, but he's only 31 years old, and did play 8 games in the UFL last season. Again, I don't think the Texans should be looking in that direction right now, but if they decided otherwise, I definitely like him better than Garrard or Favre.

Wow to the bolded, I had no idea he was that young. I would guess he would still be around a la Kitna. I almost completely forgot about him.

*edit - Garcia is 41, I had to go look it up that seemed way to young.
http://www.nfl.com/player/jeffgarcia/2500758/profile

Mods, can you please change the thread title to "What about a vet QB such as David Garrard as a back up to Leinart?" That was the original idea of the thread.

Speedy
11-15-2011, 03:14 PM

He's kinda right though. Get Favre, get Garrard, Yates or Leinart...it is getting pretty stupid.

ChampionTexan
11-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Wow to the bolded, I had no idea he was that young. I would guess he would still be around a la Kitna. I almost completely forgot about him.

Mods, can you please change the thread title to "What about a vet QB such as David Garrard as a back up to Leinart?" That was the original idea of the thread.

Oops - brain cramp (I didn't think that sounded right either). He's 41. My (Big time) screw up!

Hardcore Texan
11-15-2011, 03:21 PM
He's kinda right though. Get Favre, get Garrard, Yates or Leinart...it is getting pretty stupid.

Well I thought the Leinart or Yates question was silly. And the Get Favre idea as well.

My intent was what about a vet QB to BACK UP Leinart, not start in place of him. Too me that is not that stupid of an idea. Garrard came to mind, and wanted others take as well other ideas of who to grab.

Champion made a good point about team chemistry. I am just nervous with Yates back there. None of Kubes' other young QB's have panned out that I remember. Not even Sage, who had more experience then most.

Seņor Stan
11-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Jake Plummer is only 36. Former Kubiak disciple. Currently playing competitive handball in Idaho.

Playoffs
11-15-2011, 03:24 PM
...I wouldn't want to see Yates be trotted out there with playoff implications on the line.
It'll be storybook...

Cinderella story, named after a guy named Taylor and another guy named Jonathon, he backpeddles...

It's up .... OH! it's in his breadbasket, Yates flips it 97 yards to AJ for his 7th 90+ yard touchdown pass in a 4 minute span...

Tears in his eyes, the beloved son of Marrietta, Georgia --- having overcome poverty & polio & 7 gunshot wounds helping a little old lady across the street...

Yates triumphantly rides the shoulders of both super bowl team's players and the umpires as he's regaled by all!

Even Joe Montana is crying, ladies and gentleman.

http://www.monologuedb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Bill-Murray-Caddyshack-Carl-Spackler-In-the-Hole-150x150.jpg

Vinny
11-15-2011, 03:27 PM
how about David Carr? I hear he is available.

Sifodyas
11-15-2011, 03:33 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/386544_201672759910470_100002032422634_437255_9933 89225_n.jpg

Playoffs
11-15-2011, 03:33 PM

*gasp*

Rey
11-15-2011, 03:48 PM

I don't know why he didn't play well, but honestly I don't think the Jags wanted him anymore...

Like I said, I could be completely wrong about his ability but he seems like he has declined a bit with injuies and age.

Honestly, I'm not sure who is out there that I'd bring in...

The Pencil Neck
11-15-2011, 05:17 PM

Um.... no, he's not. He's backing up Eli Manning.

Wolf
11-15-2011, 05:30 PM
unless I am missing something,

I think some of you saw David Garrard and that is all you saw.

I read it as this
What about a vet QB such as David Garrard as a back up to Leinart??

I was actually trying to think of what vet might be available. I am not comfortable with TJ Yates coming in, just yet.

If he has to come in, he has to come in,but I would feel better with a Veteran

I haven't had any luck finding a list of QB's that are out there to bring in and try out.

Wolf
11-15-2011, 06:26 PM
:yikes: a list i saw (from Oct 11,2011)

J.P.losman
Chris Simms
Charlie Frye
Patrick Ramsey
Troy Smith
Jake Delhome
Trent Edwards

yeah I know Bleacher report, but I can't find any list on NFL.com
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/892775-2011-nfl-free-agents-9-qbs-still-available-who-can-fill-a-need/page/12

Playoffs
11-15-2011, 06:51 PM
unless I am missing something,

I think some of you saw David Garrard and that is all you saw.

I read it as this
What about a vet QB such as David Garrard as a back up to Leinart??

To be fair, earlier responses were to the original topic titled: What about David Garrard as a back up to Leinart?

Hervoyel
11-15-2011, 07:19 PM
We've got Leinart and I think he's going to do very well but even if he's just getting by that's kind of what we're stuck with. You carry a 2 for a reason and there won't be anyone out there better versed on what we're doing than Leinart.

If he's knocked out of a game though you're going to be down to Yates and I'm fine with that except for the idea that if our line gets Leinart killed (assuming it's not some fluke play/injury) then Yates is going to be carting his rookie ass out into the same storm. Do we want to be running a rookie out there against some defense that's getting pressure against us and playing spoiler?

We've run with three QB's on the roster all season. You have to bring someone in I think to fill that 3rd spot if Schaub ends up being done for the year. I'd go get 41 year old Jeff Garcia if he's game. The man is 41 friggin years old. He's not going to bring any sort of controversy with him. Veteran minimum, 6 games riding the pine, and a shot to pick up a ring one last time. That's his deal.

I'd sign him in a heartbeat if he's interested.

Vinny
11-15-2011, 07:26 PM
We've got Leinart and I think he's going to do very well but even if he's just getting by that's kind of what we're stuck with. You carry a 2 for a reason and there won't be anyone out there better versed on what we're doing than Leinart.

Schaub has been splitting reps 50/50 with Leinart for a month according to McClain...so he was already hurt and banged up enough for Kubiak to parse out half his reps. I noticed Schaub wasn't doing much straight 7-step drops. Almost all his throws were boots off the stretch and moving the pocket with easy crossing passes. Schaub even under threw his opening TD pass as if his push off foot was giving him problems. Seems like most of his conventional drop backs were shotgun snaps....so I guess what I'm getting at was that we have made it this far with half a Schaub for the last month. Leinart should be at least as productive as a gimpy Schaub hopefully. With any luck at all Leinart 2.0 will step up and make some plays now that he has had all this time to digest everything...plus apparently he's already had a ton of reps getting him ready for what Kubiak must have seen coming. I can't imagine giving Leinart all those reps and not expecting him to see action.

Hardcore Texan
11-15-2011, 07:39 PM
To be fair, earlier responses were to the original topic titled: What about David Garrard as a back up to Leinart?

True. But I did retitle the OP right away however it wasn't until a mod changed it for me did it change all the other reply titles and the thread name in the Texans Talk part of the forum. My intent was to spur some conversation towards the idea if not Garrard then who else could be the guy?

Before I found out that Garrard hasn't recovered from injury, he's was the first guy I thought could be a good fill in and give us insight to the game against Jax after the bye. I could have done a better job stating the premise of my thread, which is, I feel we need a vet to back up Leinart. I tried to clarify that in subsequent post.

Cerberus
11-15-2011, 07:47 PM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned JaMarcus Russell. I hear he is looking for a new gig, and Houston has plenty of purple-drank to keep him happy.

Spled
11-15-2011, 07:58 PM
He's always a phone call away -
http://millercards.net/im_za_large/za083.jpg

Giant Tiger
11-15-2011, 10:03 PM
The Montreal Alouettes got eliminated last week, maybe Anthony Calvillo's available :fingergun:

SAMURAITEXAN
11-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Schaub has been splitting reps 50/50 with Leinart for a month according to McClain...so he was already hurt and banged up enough for Kubiak to parse out half his reps. I noticed Schaub wasn't doing much straight 7-step drops. Almost all his throws were boots off the stretch and moving the pocket with easy crossing passes. Schaub even under threw his opening TD pass as if his push off foot was giving him problems. Seems like most of his conventional drop backs were shotgun snaps....so I guess what I'm getting at was that we have made it this far with half a Schaub for the last month. Leinart should be at least as productive as a gimpy Schaub hopefully. With any luck at all Leinart 2.0 will step up and make some plays now that he has had all this time to digest everything...plus apparently he's already had a ton of reps getting him ready for what Kubiak must have seen coming. I can't imagine giving Leinart all those reps and not expecting him to see action.

Good point Vinny. As long as Leinart dump off short pass to TE and RB, we shouldn't have much of problem. Occasionally, throw long pass to keep opponent's D honest. With our strong running game and our D, this is all we need.

Go Texans!!!

Hervoyel
11-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Wonder if these guys have any leads

The Elite Football League of India (http://www.efli.com/)

PHAROAH
11-16-2011, 05:47 AM
Not a bad idea for half of the season.

BigBull17
11-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Steve Young doesn't twitch that much.

texanway
11-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Garrard would be an interesting choice. Never thought of that. I would just sign Garrard now for a few million and have him and Leinart battle it out (that is if Favre doesn't come back, hehe).

texanway
11-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Garrard would be an interesting choice. Never thought of that. I would just sign Garrard now for a few million and have him and Leinart battle it out (that is if Favre doesn't come back, hehe).

But it's not training camp so we don't really have time for them to battle it out. I would go with Leinart and use Yates if all else fails. We just need to focus on using our strengths (the running backs and Andre Johnson along with a strong defense).

Remember...if Trent Dilfer or Rex Grossman can play in a Superbowl, so can we. At least we have offensive weapons.

texanway
11-16-2011, 11:10 AM
^^^ I know I just totally contradicted myself. I seem like an ***** for directly replying to my own post. Don't hate ;)

Vinny
11-16-2011, 11:42 AM
^^^ I know I just totally contradicted myself. I seem like an ***** for directly replying to my own post. Don't hate ;)

at least you like a good debate...now run along and take yer meds. :htown2atx: