PDA

View Full Version : And now protecting YOUR starting qb's blindside...

jaayteetx
11-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Mr. Eric Winston. Good luck to you sir, don't let us down.

Roadtrip635
11-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Anyone think Kubes will flip tackles?

Jackie Chiles
11-14-2011, 06:25 PM

No chance, running game is the meal ticket now and has been for quite some time.

Rey
11-14-2011, 06:27 PM

No.

You keep as many things as normal as possible. You look to keep doing what you're doing

Jackie Chiles
11-14-2011, 06:30 PM
One more thing to add; most pass rushers play one side. I doubt many of them will be switching up their routine to get a chance at Leinart's blindside. If we had a weak RT maybe they would but Winston is playing good football. I think its pretty much a non-issue.

Playoffs
11-14-2011, 06:32 PM

Why would he?

Winston was voted mid-season all pro by many:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/11/03/midseason.awards/index.html

CloakNNNdagger
11-14-2011, 06:52 PM
This season, Winston has gotten great reviews at right tackle, mostly based on his run blocking. Yet, evidently his remaining weakness continues to be in pass protection.

So why would that bother me? Lienart is a LEFTY. Now the right tackle all of a sudden takes on the function of a left tackle. I'm not exactly feeling all that comfortable now.

Jackie Chiles
11-14-2011, 06:56 PM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86929

CloakNNNdagger
11-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Just noticed another thread on same subject already started. Mods, please merge.

CloakNNNdagger
11-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Seems like most here are fine with Winston at the new "blind side." In fact I saw his rating for this year's run blocking and pass blocking near the top of the RTs. Still left tackles are specifically chosen because of their superior pass blocking compared to right tackles. The right tackle with a right-handed QB, as the QB tends to naturally take a pass play running to the right, needs to hold a man to a shorter distance away from the QB (usually less space to cover), and while the QB can help by adjustment since he is in visual contact with the D on that side. The left tackle usually has to be quicker and just as strong as the right tackle because he is covering a much larger area of attack, usually while the right-handed QB is not in visual contact with the attacker. Somehow, it appears that Brown will be trading off to an easier position, while Winston to a very much more difficult one. My concern will still remain until I actually see how Winston handles his blind side duties. Hopefully, he will make that transition and at least not embarrass himself.

Goatcheese
11-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Having played both tackle positions in my day I can tell you that it is not the same. It's kind of like a right handed hitter trying to bat lefty. They're pros and can pull it off but it's not going to be as good. A lot of what you do is muscle memory and even just changing the direction you do it isn't easy.

You would see a much bigger drop off from switching them than there is from Brown to Winston in pass protection(which really isn't that big of a gap to begin with).

dc_txtech
11-17-2011, 10:51 AM
So easy a caveman could do it.

CloakNNNdagger
11-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Having played both tackle positions in my day I can tell you that it is not the same. It's kind of like a right handed hitter trying to bat lefty. They're pros and can pull it off but it's not going to be as good. A lot of what you do is muscle memory and even just changing the direction you do it isn't easy.

You would see a much bigger drop off from switching them than there is from Brown to Winston in pass protection(which really isn't that big of a gap to begin with).

I hope that in no way did you think my post implied switching the LTs......in fact, just the opposite.........just tried to point out (like you) that the switch of reponsibilities could be more unpredictable than some are thinking.

NitroGSXR
11-17-2011, 12:49 PM
I like Winston... its just that when he whiffs, it's usually a mega whiff in every sense of the word. It takes just one blind side to pancake Leinart into oblivion. I am concerned for that one ill-fated hit. Very concerned.

b0ng
11-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Not really that worried about it. As much as people bellyache about Winston's pass blocking, it's still pretty good for a RT.

CloakNNNdagger
11-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Not really that worried about it. As much as people bellyache about Winston's pass blocking, it's still pretty good for a RT.

That may not be good enough for a RT playing the "blindside." There is usually a good reason for a RT tackle not playing the "blindside" LT position.

badboy
11-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Lienert has not been sacked yet. He should have a lot of "bounce" in him.

thunderkyss
11-18-2011, 07:45 AM
I like Winston... its just that when he whiffs, it's usually a mega whiff in every sense of the word. It takes just one blind side to pancake Leinart into oblivion. I am concerned for that one ill-fated hit. Very concerned.

I am not an Eric Winston fan. If there is a negative Eric Winston thread on TexansTalk, I probably started it.

However, he's played better than I expected this year. Still has one or two whiffs on the year, but.... so does Brown. It's been a while since I've seen a team line their best pass rusher on one side & one side only, most teams flip them around from time to time, so I don't think Winston is going to be facing anyone he hasn't faced before.

He might see them more frequently, & that might be a problem.

On the bright, koolaid & sunshine side, we aren't facing any elite pass rushers (other than Freeney who is not playing particularly elite this year) in the next 6 games.