PDA

View Full Version : In Leinart I Trust

TdotTexas2Step
11-14-2011, 06:09 PM
I'm thinking this doesn't really warrant a thread, but I thought it might temporarily lighten up the mood. Lock if unnecessary please.

http://memegenerator.net/cache/instances/400x/10/11168/11436084.jpg

Fili
11-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Yessir. We can't automatically assume Leinart is a bad QB. We'll find out at the Jags game for sure.

Texecutioner
11-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Leinart is going to surprise some people I tell ya!!

cain78749
11-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Fine as in limp to 10-6/9-7, host a playoff game and losing it, or fine as in not missing a beat, protecting our #1 seed status or dropping one too many and still getting that bye, and maybe winning a playoff game or two?

I can see the former, not so much the latter. Hope to be surprised.

ATXtexanfan
11-14-2011, 06:32 PM

i think so as well

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Well, I've already bought my tickets & booked a room in Indy...

TdotTexas2Step
11-14-2011, 06:35 PM

That's the spirit!

Sideline
11-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Oddly, seeing this put me at ease. I can't explain why. It just did.

Thorn
11-14-2011, 06:36 PM

Leinart is good enough to help us win the division. I really believe that. It's the playoff games I'm worried about.

Roadtrip635
11-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Leinart to the rescue! I sure hope so.

http://roadtrip635.mysbrforum.com/photos/l/wXupI9K8.jpg

TdotTexas2Step
11-14-2011, 06:39 PM
I remember in an older version of Madden, they had a "Old Spice Swagger" rating for the players.

I can't remember what Leinart's rating was, but it had to be through the roof right?

burro
11-14-2011, 06:42 PM
These memes are killing me, Matt Leinart is like Joe Namath...only bad at QB (based strictly on what I've seen). Or I'm just drunk and trying not to think much about it.

TexanExile
11-14-2011, 06:44 PM
In a personal sense this is good. Waking up at 2AM local time for Texans kickoffs was not easy. This news will probably give me insomnia for the rest of the season so I should be fine.

But more importantly, although I've never been impressed by anything I've seen from Leinart since he came to the Texans, if this HAD to happen:

1) I'm grateful it was going into a bye week.
2) I'm grateful it happened after the wave of RB injuries subsided earlier this year. The Leinart/Ogbonnaya combo would have been terrifying.
3) I'm grateful it happened after the defense found its new identity and developed confidence far beyond what I was expecting this season.
4) I'm grateful AJ is coming back, just in time.
5) I'm grateful it happened in a year in the AFC South when suddenly the best remaining QB in the division is arguably Matt Hasselbeck. (That is not praise of Matt Hasselbeck.) If this had happened in a year where Manning was still playing, it would be hard not to be hopeless right now.

I will be cranking some Tums a week from Sunday, yes, but is it over? Not by a long shot. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI)

PhilpW
11-14-2011, 06:55 PM
We'll be fine because we have a dominating defense and a running game that controls the clock. Stay on the plus side of the turnover ledger and Texans continue to roll.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
11-14-2011, 07:12 PM
If we had Blaine Gabbert at QB, then I'd be worried.

ThaJokaa
11-14-2011, 07:20 PM
He looks good to me, let's give him a chance n not label him a bust. KJ is turning it around, so can Lienart.

Quality could be better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX8XyIASZro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvDYfdFHMUk&feature=related

If he plays like that great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQrVS_a39yo&feature=related

Everything was awesome except the INT;

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
11-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Leinart*

paycheck71
11-14-2011, 07:22 PM
:koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid:

That's all... Thank you.
:kubepalm:

TheRealJoker
11-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Leinart has championship swagger!!!

MEGA SWATT
11-14-2011, 07:34 PM
We keep rolling.

Just please, please let nothing more happen to our D, and umm.......Tate and foster.

And let AJ get strong and back to 100% by playoff time.

gtexan02
11-14-2011, 07:38 PM
I sure don't. Does anyone else not remember him in the preseason? Ugh, we're screwed

ATRAIN
11-14-2011, 07:41 PM
I am with you, he looked good in pre season and stayed here and turned down bigger money in seatle. He has learned the system and been humbled. I hear he has been a workhorse and studyed like a mad man all season. Matt S, didnt put up big number, we just need Matty L to manage the game and I think he can do that. Increase workload in Foster and Tate. I for one think we will be ok plus he has two weeks to work with the first team. We will be ok!!

paycheck71
11-14-2011, 07:41 PM
I sure don't. Does anyone else not remember him in the preseason? Ugh, we're screwed

All I remember him do in preseason is throw a couple of boot leg passes to Ogbonnaya, hand it off 80% of the time, and almost never pass from behind 3rd string o-line to 3rd string receivers.

Everybody says Kubiak loves him. I'll give Kubes the benefit of the doubt and see what happens.

ATRAIN
11-14-2011, 07:42 PM

He worked with 2nd and 3rd stringers. He cant base everything on preseason.

silentassassin
11-14-2011, 07:45 PM
:koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid:

That's all... Thank you.
:kubepalm:

:koolaid: eff it, I'm all in. No cares are given. I'm all in on this season, live or die.

fiasco west
11-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Why not?

Kubiak coached up Matt who was a backup to Mike Vick for all of his career to be a top 10 starter for us.

He coached up Steve Young who was a back up to Montana...

If history shows us anything about the situation we are in, it's that Kubiak does a good job coaching up backup QBs

gtexan02
11-14-2011, 07:46 PM
He worked with 2nd and 3rd stringers. He cant base everything on preseason.

Lets see:

1. Crappy in regular season with Arizona
2. Crappy in preseason with Texans
3. Hasn't started a game since 2009

What is there that we can base good news off of?

Kubiak "likes" him? Does anyone else remember Orlovsky? Yates? Have we ever had a serviceable backup?

Showtime100
11-14-2011, 07:47 PM
This is about as positive as I can get right now. If it had to happen, and we are Houston, therefore it had to happen, at least it happened two weeks before our next game so Matt boy can have more time.

That took all the positivity I had for the remainder of the day. :tiphat:

TexanFan881
11-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Lets see:

Kubiak "likes" him? Does anyone else remember Orlovsky? Yates? Have we ever had a serviceable backup?

Sage Rosenfels....

Showtime100
11-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Sage Rosenfels....

where's my gun.

ATRAIN
11-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Lets see:

No coaching in Arizona and got thrown in as a rookie. Again its pre season.
We will be ok, he just needs to manage the game. There is a reason Kubes is sold on him. Have faith man. Thats all we can do right now cause like it or not he is our QB now.

MojoMan
11-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Leinart is going to do fine.

ATRAIN
11-14-2011, 07:53 PM
where's my gun.

HAHAHA I was thinking well at least we dont have Rosencopter anymore. At this point id rather have Matty L than Sage. I hope Matt L comes in and pulls a Brady. I mean come on if Alex Smith, Tebow, Cam, Ponter, Dalton can all do it then Matty L can beat Jax, Indy, Tenn. Thats all we need for playoffs.

Wolf
11-14-2011, 07:54 PM
ESPN's Steve Young: "I think there's a chance here for Matt Leinart to do something...He's put the time in. He's had tremendous training."

twitter

http://twitter.com/#!/search/matt%20leinart?q=matt+leinart

TEXANRED
11-14-2011, 07:57 PM

We crushed the 49ers and made Alex Smith look like a chump in preseason.

It's just preseason.

Lets go Texans!

TejasTom
11-14-2011, 07:58 PM
I'd look for Bryant Johnson (former Card teammate) to get more looks.

IlliniJen
11-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Matt Lienart will be the Superbowl MVP when we beat the Packers 97-3. BELIEVE IT.

ATRAIN
11-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Matt Lienart will be the Superbowl MVP when we beat the Packers 97-3. BELIEVE IT.

:splits::breakdance::cool:

ATRAIN
11-14-2011, 08:03 PM
I'd look for Bryant Johnson (former Card teammate) to get more looks.

LOL he has to be on the field to get looks first.

EllisUnit
11-14-2011, 08:32 PM
LOL he has to be on the field to get looks first.

he is on running plays :runaway:

speedfreek
11-14-2011, 09:41 PM
no way, Leinart blows and will put our defense in really bad situations with turnovers...

Gary has NEVER kept a decent backup QB. Just "project" QB's

TJ

Thorn
11-14-2011, 09:44 PM
These Leinart threads are going to get boring over the next two weeks, but I guess it's all we have for now. The fact is, we just don't know what will happen. But my guess is it will be at worst only mildly bad all the way to surprising good. I honestly do NOT think this is a full fledged disaster.

DonnyMost
11-14-2011, 09:53 PM
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/c89/56e/fa2/resized/leinart-meme-generator-man-the-hot-tubs-we-got-a-division-to-win-085f10.jpg?1321319659.jpg

Farough
11-14-2011, 09:59 PM
I think he'll be fine. He's not going to be asked to do too much. Definitely going to be relying on the run game and mix in a lot of play action passes to keep the defenses off balance. Obviously he's not going to come out and light it up but I can see him being something similar to what Alex Smith is in SF. Just there to manage a game, not turn it over and allow the run game to do their thing.

As long as they don't turn the ball over and put the defense in bad positions we should be alright to still win 11 games.

euro-Texan
11-14-2011, 10:32 PM
The "woe is me" posts are pathetic and embarrassing. Injuries are part of the game. If we deserve to win, we will win, and this Texans team WILL win. Not in spite of leinart, but as a well rounded team.

The Cush
11-15-2011, 12:34 AM
All this team has to do is play out the Chicago Bears Super Bowl formula when they had Rex Grossman running that offense. Run the ball, keep playing stellar defense, and all Leinart has to do is be a game manager. Don't throw picks and don't get strip sacked.

ESPN was talking about how strong his work ethic has been. Combining that with Kubiak and Greg Knapp's reputation of coaching up quarterbacks it wouldn't surprise me if he keeps us afloat.

TexanBacker93
11-15-2011, 12:43 AM
This is about as positive as I can get right now. If it had to happen, and we are Houston, therefore it had to happen, at least it happened two weeks before our next game so Matt boy can have more time.

That took all the positivity I had for the remainder of the day. :tiphat:

They don't really have much more time. According to the new CBA the players aren't allowed to practice for 4 straight days. I don't think there are specific days, but they have to be consecutive.

euro-Texan
11-15-2011, 12:57 AM
They have more time in the sense that the coaching staff can put some packages together for a lefty qb. They say he has been taking more reps in practice because schaub has been banged up for the last couple of weeks.

I'm not selling my tickets to the jags game over this, although jags tickets would move about as easily as my house right now. I'm expecting a big win on the 27th.

TexanBacker93
11-15-2011, 12:58 AM
We've never really seen what Leinart can do with the #1s. What better situation for someone to step into.

He's got a tremendous run game headed by a badass 2 headed monster.
He's getting back the game's best wide receiver that can get open and make the tough catches.
He's got a great group of TEs that can all stretch the field and find the soft spots in the zone.
He's got an offensive guru as a coach that will design a game plan to allow him to manage the game.
He's got the #1 Defense helping him out with field position and keeping the opponent's score low.
He's playing in an offense more like the one he played in at USC.
And He's going to have the BEST FANS IN THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE behind him.

I'm giving him a chance. Who knows. Maybe all of the National columnists that were talking about us as Super Bowl contenders last night and have changed it to One and Done today will spark something.

JCTexan
11-15-2011, 01:01 AM
I am looking for Kubiak to come out passing opening the Jacksonville game. Teams are going to be stacking the box more so now that Schaub is injured. It's going to be harder to run the ball now. Kubiak came out passing in both the Tampa & Cleveland games, and I fully expect him to do it in the next game. Hopefully Leinart can capitalize on this chance. :kitten:

PHAROAH
11-15-2011, 02:20 AM
he has two weeks to prep for the falcons defense which isn't saying much so lets give him a chance to see if he has matured as professional and if he has stop partying he might have a chance to salvage a once promising career.

TheMatrix31
11-15-2011, 03:11 AM
I'm giving him a chance too. It's all we can do.

KA4Texan
11-15-2011, 03:43 AM
I'm giving him a chance too. It's all we can do.

Nuh huh, there is always this option :overreact:

I agree with you though, Ill give him a shot...... While it sucks to lose Schaub, I won't name names, but I just dont see us pulling a Colts....... oh wait guess I did, oh well, feels good...COLTS SUCK,GO TEXANS!!!

Grid
11-15-2011, 05:30 AM
Id be pretty stoked right now.

Best running game in the league, best Oline in the league, best defense in the league, best WR in the league.

If Leinart cant come in and make something happen then he has no business being in the NFL.

On the other hand, and this is the part he should be stoked about, he has been put in the perfect situation to make himself a budding superstar again. If he goes in and takes advantage of these tools and doesnt screw up.. gets us to the playoffs, maybe even wins a game there.. his value is going to skyrocket.

We might be looking at suitors next offseason.. and we might get a deal out of it kinda like what Atlanta got from us for Schaub.

And I know most of you have had the thought cross your mind so im going to go ahead and voice it... There is also the chance that he could come in and blow everyone away. After all this IS the perfect setup for him. Next offseason it might be Schaub we are shopping around.

Or not.. I have no idea on the intricacies of that. The point though..is that Leinart has no excuses. If he still has talent, this is his chance to show it.. with nothing holding him back.

Off topic. WHAT DID WE DO?!?!?! Did someone beat up an old gypsy in the astrodome? How did we get this curse and what can we do to break it?

If you see a gypsy give them a hug.

burro
11-15-2011, 05:50 AM
If I were Leinart I would have taken the money and run and remained knee deep in scotch and vagina for the rest of my life...but that's just me.

HJam72
11-15-2011, 06:32 AM
Think I read recently that it took the Saints 4 decades to win a playoff game.

I also read a short excerpt of Dan Pastorini's autobiography coming out. He was a drunk, womanizing party-boy. THAT'S why they never won it all back then.

So, basically, I'm sayin' we're not jinxed. It just REALLY feels like it a LOT of the time.

Maybe we'll be fine if we can replace Leinart in all those hot-tubs with the girls with me... :)

HJam72
11-15-2011, 06:42 AM
When AJ comes back, he can just throw it to himself.

Tailgate
11-15-2011, 06:59 AM
Ok, I have had time to sleep this one off. Well... Not really. I woke up and immediately thought to myself... Oh yea, this sucks.

Even still, look at what we have gone through so far this year and we are STILL 7-3. We are currently the #1 frickin seed in the AFC! This team is different. This team finds a way. This team continues to progress despite what would "seem" to be reasons to throw in the towel. Not. This. Year.

I am done worrying about this. This is football. This is the NFL. We are Houston football fans. So what... We have a new captain stepping in to lead this team. Kubiak is THE MAN when it comes to QBs. We get AJ back. Our D is legit. Our running game is the best in the league.

This thing is far from over. Its just time for the next man to stand up.

Go Texans!!!!!!!

WelshTexan
11-15-2011, 07:24 AM
Totally agree.

Like you, I'm not worried about this. We've got the bye ahead of us, and that will give Matt plenty of time to get ready with the first-teamers. We'll be fine, especially with AJ coming back.

If anything does worry me about this, it's the fact that (at least when I went to bed last night, and I'm six hours ahead of Houston) there hasn't been a firm answer on how many games Schuab will miss. Are we likely to see him back in a jersey for the playoffs?

SheTexan
11-15-2011, 07:46 AM
Ok, I have had time to sleep this one off. Well... Not really. I woke up and immediately thought to myself... Oh yea, this sucks.

Even still, look at what we have gone through so far this year and we are STILL 7-3. We are currently the #1 frickin seed in the AFC! This team is different. This team finds a way. This team continues to progress despite what would "seem" to be reasons to throw in the towel. Not. This. Year.

I am done worrying about this. This is football. This is the NFL. We are Houston football fans. So what... We have a new captain stepping in to lead this team. Kubiak is THE MAN when it comes to QBs. We get AJ back. Our D is legit. Our running game is the best in the league.

This thing is far from over. Its just time for the next man to stand up.

Go Texans!!!!!!!

Thanks!! Ya said it for me!! Let's move on!!

Pantherstang84
11-15-2011, 07:48 AM
Time to quit crying over Schaub. Matt Leinart is now the Texans QB. We need to get behind him.

sakebomb
11-15-2011, 08:01 AM
We'll be fine because we have a dominating defense and a running game that controls the clock. Stay on the plus side of the turnover ledger and Texans continue to roll.

I totally agree with this. This is definitely a blow but keep feeding the dynamic duo, play dominating defense, hit the wide open TE's on the play action, and oh yeah.....hopefully that #80 guy can come back strong in two weeks.

Joe Texan
11-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Leinart has championship swagger!!!

Did not matt transfer that swagger to Vince Young one year.
He has a great line and he is now the captian lets get behind him

Go Texans

HJam72
11-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Dominating D.

Dominating running game.

Schaub not really having best year anyway (individually).

Maybe we'll be fine. All I can say is no freaking picks, Leinart. We are not asking you to carry this team. Learn to throw the ball away if nobody's OPEN (even though I got kind of sick of seeing Schaub do that). Practice, practice, practice your fake hand-offs, because you're replacing the best in the business at that.

Oh, Leinart meet Winston. I suggest you grow some eyes in the back of your head....or tell Eric you are a RB. Then he'll protect you.

One way or another, this season is going to end stressfully...

PS-PSYCHOTIC PREDICTIONS: Leinart wins Superbowl with Houston, beating Pittsburgh in Reliant Stadium in AFC Championship and beating Dallas in Superbowl (Romo has late season and playoff run); Leinart becomes Houston starter; Schaub demands trade, eventually winds up with and starts for........................................Jackson ville...

First game against Schaub and the Jaguars: Mario sacks Schaub....both suffer career-ending injuries...; Cushing cracks non-helmeted head on nose-guard's helmet, leaving clear brain-fluid on it, keeps playing, doesn't need brain to play football. Tested for roids; found to be pregnant; eventually passes a football with large, muscular arms; go figure.

Señor Stan
11-15-2011, 08:32 AM
Time for a new theme song. If this doesn't get you fire you up for the start of the Matt Leinart era, I don't know what will....

The Matt Leinart era begins!!! (http://www.hulu.com/watch/97800/saturday-night-live-james-browns-celebrity-hot-tub-party)

Playoffs
11-15-2011, 09:31 AM
ProFootballWeekly:

The problem with Leinart is simple. All the bad traits and habits he had in college carried over: a lack of arm strength, lack of mobility to avoid the rush, he floats and lets the ball hang in the air and makes poor decisions and bad throws on the run. Leinart may not be an NFL-caliber quarterback.

ThaJokaa
11-15-2011, 09:36 AM
That was befire we had a QB guy get his hands on him

IlliniJen
11-15-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm skipping all of the 5 stages of grief and going to the 6th and little known stage: unwavering, blind, stupid, unreasonable, illogical, dangerous optimism.

Why? Because things were going so well, everything was on track, we were finally almost there...and then THIS happens. I'm taking this as a sign from the Flying Spaghetti Monster that this was meant to happen, so Leinart could come in, hot tub girls in tow, and lead us to a Superbowl.

Looking at it realistically, there's few BETTER situations for a backup QB to step into. There is a low degree of failure due to our running game, o-line and AJ coming back that you'd have to be an utter wank at the QB spot to screw up too badly.

Leinart didn't have good teams to helm before, so it's easier to fail without the talent around you to help prop you up and let you ease into the QB role. This Texans team allows Leinart to stumble into success, just by its nature of being a rather complete team with skill at vital positions.

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, hide yo college girls and hot tubs, Matt Leinart is in the house. SUPERBOWL OR BUST. LEINART MVP. BELIEVE IT.

(TJ Yates, get ready!)

Thorn
11-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Looking at it realistically, there's few BETTER situations for a backup QB to step into. There is a low degree of failure due to our running game, o-line and AJ coming back that you'd have to be an utter wank at the QB spot to screw up too badly.

And that reasoning is exactly why I'm not buying into all this gloom and doom. Would we be better off with Matty I instead of II? Well, of course we would. But we're not going to die as a team with Matty II. He's got six games to prepare for the playoffs, we'll be fine.

Unless Matty II goes down and Yates comes in. All bets are off then.

Texan4Ever
11-15-2011, 09:51 AM
As long as he sticks to this game plan we're good:

1.) Hand the ball of to Arian Foster

2.) Pitch the ball to Arian Foster

3.) Hand the ball to Ben Tate

4.) Screen pass to Arian Foster

= WIN!

El Tejano
11-15-2011, 09:52 AM
I would also like to mention that just a few weeks ago we were all dogging Schaub and how he hasn't been himself. Let's keep things in perspective yall. We weren't winning games because of Schaub. Yes he had some good moments but he wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire. Heck, he didn't even throw a TD vs. Cleveland and was pretty non-effective in the 2nd half of that game. He really wasn't effective in our last game vs. Tampa Bay. He only threw 3 times in the second half of that game.

Was he really a monster vs. Tenn or did we just throw up two 100 yard rushers on that team because Matt was throwing the ball everywhere? I recall a Matt Schaub who was struggling to get receivers the ball on the money that game.

In fact, I believe we can look at all 3 of our losses and see Schaub's finger prints on those games. We all know about Oakland and his inability to throw a completed pass until the final seconds of the 4th quarter. He couldn't convert a 3rd down vs. New Orleans, and he really couldn't do anything vs. Baltimore. Now he did have his reasons and I will give him that (No Andre) but we were in the thick of things in each of those games and he couldn't make something happen.

I believe it's not about Leinhart but everything around him. Our defense will get 3 and outs for us, our running game will keep the ball for us. If Andre comes back, they have to protect him and keep a few players out the box.

What I do see is that we will have a few more FG drives than TD drives that we were loving this year. Rackers better get his crap together.

drunkcookie
11-15-2011, 10:59 AM
I dunno what Leinart's gunna bring us, so i won't freak out yet... Schaub hasn't been as 'on' this year as he has been in the past, and we really haven't been throwing too too much...

What concerns me most right now is losing the timing and cohesiveness that Schaub had with everyone...you know, that stuff outside the x's and o's, like knowing how/when OD likes to break a route etc... And make what you will of Eric Winston now being a blindside tackle..

I'm gunna wait and see here... Maybe Matt Jr. Shocks us all or at least gives us the average (good 'nuff) play Schaub was giving...

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using Tapakeg

MojoMan
11-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Time to call in Brett Favre.

:hides:

HOU-TEX
11-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Since we're going the positive route here, you gotta think Leinart has more speed and agility than Schaub does. So, there's that going for him.

Señor Stan
11-15-2011, 11:27 AM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/14/texans-should-give-favre-a-call/

gary
11-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Leinart over Sage I don't know about that one but we have who we have.

JamesBill
11-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Leinart over Sage I don't know about that one but we have who we have.

We needed Sage when we had him because our only chance of winning was to sling it. We had to live with his requisite bone head plays.

Now we just need a guy to make 15 or so completions to keep the motor running.

Buffi2
11-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Herm Edwards still has faith in the Texans. He says we can still win games with Leinart if Leinart lets the team work and not try to win games by himself.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/30725/video-win-without-schaub

michaelm
11-15-2011, 11:58 AM

I'd call Kurt Warner first.

MojoMan
11-15-2011, 11:58 AM
I believe people some people are in for a surprise here. Leinart has had almost two years working in this offense, he has experience as an NFL QB, and unlike his situation in Arizona, he is going to be surrounded by a very good, fired up football tam on both sides of the ball. And, oh yeah, did I mention that Andre Johnson is due back in two weeks?

I do not expect to see the Texan's performance fall off noticeably during the regular season as a result of this change. Their schedule is favorable and the team is as talented and well balanced as any in the NFL.

Matt Leinart and the Texans are going to be just fine.

Insideop
11-15-2011, 01:38 PM
It could have been worse. Just think if Leinart would've gone to Seattle and we resigned Orlovsky! :gun:

Lets give Matt L. a chance.

Speedy
11-15-2011, 02:24 PM
I believe people some people are in for a surprise here. Leinart has had almost two years working in this offense, he has experience as an NFL QB, and unlike his situation in Arizona, he is going to be surrounded by a very good, fired up football tam on both sides of the ball. And, oh yeah, did I mention that Andre Johnson is due back in two weeks?

I do not expect to see the Texan's performance fall off noticeably during the regular season as a result of this change. Their schedule is favorable and the team is as talented and well balanced as any in the NFL.

Matt Leinart and the Texans are going to be just fine.

That would be nice. Trying to stay positive, just look at what Alex Smith is doing this year. But if anybody thinks this is Brady taking over for Bledsoe or Warner for Green, that's just not going to be the case here.

I saw Trent Dilfer win a Super Bowl so I don't doubt Leinart can with this D and run game. Might be a little more difficult now. I hope no one was getting used to those 37-9, 41-7 games.

The1ApplePie
11-15-2011, 02:31 PM
That would be nice. Trying to stay positive, just look at what Alex Smith is doing this year. But if anybody thinks this is Brady taking over for Bledsoe or Warner for Green, that's just not going to be the case here.

I saw Trent Dilfer win a Super Bowl so I don't doubt Leinart can with this D and run game. Might be a little more difficult now. I hope no one was getting used to those 37-9, 41-7 games.

You never know. Steve Young was a bust until he found the right situation. Leinart has the natural talent to be an excellent QB. I'd say he's more gifted than Schaub.

Between the ears is the hard part.

Leinart never got a fair shot in Arizona, especially when Whisenhunt came in.

rush2112mn
11-15-2011, 02:46 PM
It could have been worse. Just think if Leinart would've gone to Seattle and we resigned Orlovsky! :gun:

Lets give Matt L. a chance.

Amen....

You know its not like this guy has not been working with Kubiak. Kubiak wanted this guy back and had him resigned. Kubiak saw something in him and knew he could work with him and make him better.

Remember Arian Foster? Same thing different verse.....

If Kubiak thought that Leninart was not improving you think he would have kept him....I doubt it. I trust Kubiak when comes to judging a qb.

And lets not forget he worked with Steve Young as a offensive coodinator at San Fransico....so he knows how to work with lefthanders......

Endcoachment
11-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Lionheart will be on par with shaub or even better. It really is just a confidence thing. Think about it Arizona treated the guy like gutter trash after being in a lame system and didn't even have adequate time to adjust to this new offence. To me its all about his confidence level and he has demonstrated that by wanting to stick around here.

TheMatrix31
11-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Ok people calm down. Leinart will not be on par or even better than Schaub. Schaub is a Top 10 QB. You don't just replace those.

There will be a dropoff. Let's just hope it's managable. If he can be like Sanchez we'll be fine. Sanchez is a joke and his offense is way, way, way worse than what we have here in Houston. That gives me some hope. But let's stop the "we'll be just fine, we'll barely skip a beat" thing.

I hope we don't skip a beat, but let's temper expectations a bit.

Goatcheese
11-15-2011, 03:42 PM
If Leinart can be a game manager and protect the ball we will be fine.

We need ~200 yards per game at 6.5+ YPA with limited turnovers out of him. Just enough to keep teams from stacking the box. Tate and Foster will handle the rest. If he can give us that we finish no worse than 5-1.

GuerillaBlack
11-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Ok people calm down. Leinart will not be on par or even better than Schaub. Schaub is a Top 10 QB. You don't just replace those.

There will be a dropoff. Let's just hope it's managable. If he can be like Sanchez we'll be fine. Sanchez is a joke and his offense is way, way, way worse than what we have here in Houston. That gives me some hope. But let's stop the "we'll be just fine, we'll barely skip a beat" thing.

I hope we don't skip a beat, but let's temper expectations a bit.

You never know tho. I think Leinhart is going to surprise a lot of people. More mobile than Schaub, a tad better arm, been on the big stage plenty of times before, etc. Besides, "top ten QBs" have been replaced before.

TheMatrix31
11-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Bottom line is we need to find a way to score 22, 23 points a game. If our D holds teams to an average of 16-17 a game, then we should do decently enough.

Playoffs
11-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Leinart is neither more mobile than Schaub nor does he have a better arm. His defining characteristics (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1828953&postcount=66) are just the opposite.

The problem compounds with the mistake avoidance that Gary has been ingraining in Schaub over the years -- Leinart will take sacks, force throws, fail to check down. This part isn't a knock on Leinart, he just has not had the chance to accumulate the experience.

Lucky
11-15-2011, 08:01 PM
-- Leinart will take sacks, force throws, fail to check down.
I thought Leinart's biggest knock was that he went to the checkdown too quickly?

TEXANJAK
11-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Lets face it Matt L. is the QB for the rest of the season. If your going to the game buy your Leinart jerseys and get your signs ready. He will need our support. Let him know we support him and maybe just maybe his confidence level will raise knowing we are behind him.(Can't hurt can it?)

HJam72
11-15-2011, 10:18 PM
For better or worse....in Leinart I MUST.

MEGA SWATT
11-15-2011, 10:50 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/11/15/qb-leinart-gets-his-chance-with-texans-in-need
HOUSTON (AP) — Matt Leinart had a quick chat with Andre Johnson before leaving the Texans' locker room on Tuesday to catch a flight home to Southern California.

When he returns next week, Leinart will have a first-place team to lead and Johnson should be healthy enough to help him.

Leinart will be the Texans' starting quarterback in the first game after their bye, at Jacksonville on Nov. 27, because Matt Schaub is out indefinitely with what coach Gary Kubiak termed a "significant" right foot injury.

"I've just got a job to do, be efficient and get the guys and this team in the right situation," Leinart said. "I'm extremely bummed for Matt, just because of what he's put into this organization and to get us to this point. At the same time, it's an opportunity for myself to step up."

It could be Leinart's job for the rest of the season.

Kubiak said Tuesday that Schaub will undergo testing and his status will be determined next week. Schaub's agent, Joby Branion, did not return a phone message.

"We're still evaluating the injury," Kubiak said. "That's going to go on for about a week, and then at some point next week, we'll know whether he has a chance to come back or he doesn't."

Johnson, meanwhile, is expected to return for the Jacksonville game after sitting out six weeks with a right hamstring injury. And that's a comforting notion to Leinart, who hasn't started a game since 2009, when he was with Arizona.

"It's a great offense to be a part of," Leinart said, "and now we get the best receiver in the NFL back, which is awesome to have. That's going to be great."

Even without Johnson, Houston (7-3) has managed to take control of the AFC South by winning its last four games. Arian Foster and Ben Tate both rank among the league's top 10 rushers, and the Texans' top-ranked defense has held its opponents to an average of 10.5 points during the streak.

Leinart had dinner with Schaub on Monday night to go over details and try to make the transition as seamless as possible. He also made Schaub a promise.

"I told Matt that I was going to make him proud and just win games for this team," Leinart said, "because he got us to this point."Given how the Texans have run the ball and shut down opponents over the last month, Leinart doesn't feel like he has to do anything miraculous.

"It's important for me not to feel like I have everything to put on my shoulders, and just go out there and manage the game," Leinart said. "You look at the numbers in the last couple of games, Matt (Schaub) has just gotten us into the right plays, and he's thrown the ball here and there, and we've won the games the old-fashioned way.

"That's all I'm asked to do, and I'm excited about that opportunity."

Houston signed Leinart as a free agent just before the 2010 season, ending the former Southern Cal star's stormy tenure in Arizona. Leinart, a former Heisman Trophy winner, was drafted 10th overall by the Cardinals in 2006, and played in 12 games as a rookie under coach Dennis Green.

Leinart broke his collarbone in 2007, Kurt Warner took over and Leinart mostly watched from the sideline over the next 2½ seasons. Warner retired after the 2009 season, but Leinart clashed with Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt and he was released in September 2010.

He didn't take a snap last season, but felt comfortable enough with Kubiak and QB coach Greg Knapp that he decided to rejoin to the Texans in the offseason.

Their tutoring has restored some of the confidence he lost in Arizona.

"I've been around the league for a while," Leinart said. "Obviously, I haven't had a lot of playing time, but I've been around this game, I've played with some great quarterbacks, I've been on some winning teams. I understand what that takes, I understand what it takes to lead a football team."

The Texans seem to believe in him, too. Other than Leinart throwing left-handed (Schaub throws right-handed), they don't expect the offense to miss a beat.

"If it was a guy coming in and we had never seen a lefty all year, it might be different," said TE Owen Daniels, the team's leading receiver. "But we've been catching passes from Matt (Leinart) all year, so it shouldn't be an issue at all."

The Texans were taking off the rest of the week. Leinart planned to relax and enjoy time at home with his 5-year-old son Cole. And after a mostly frustrating route through the NFL, when he returns to work on Monday, he'll be a starter again at age 28.

"I believe my teammates believe in me and my coaches believe I can get the job done, and that goes a long way in this profession," Leinart said. "And I believe in myself to get the job done. I'm excited just to be playing ball again. It's been a long time, and it's just a great situation to be a part of."

Brisco_County
11-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Prediction 1: Leinart will look out of synch in his first game, but we'll pull out the win. After that, it will be steady improvement over three games until he really impresses. By the end of the season, he will be on fire and there will be a legit QB controversy.

Prediction 2: Next season, either Schaub or Leinart will be the starter for Washington, reaping us a #1 draft pick. Considering Schaub's rapport with Kyle Shanahan, I'm saying it's Schaub.

Ok, I'm swinging for the fences, but I do envision this.

MEGA SWATT
11-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Prediction 1: Leinart will look out of synch in his first game, but we'll pull out the win. After that, it will be steady improvement over three games until he really impresses. By the end of the season, he will be on fire and there will be a legit QB controversy.

Prediction 2: Next season, either Schaub or Leinart will be the starter for Washington, reaping us a #1 draft pick. Considering Schaub's rapport with Kyle Shanahan, I'm saying it's Schaub.

After what happened with Arian Foster, anything is possible.

hot pickle
11-15-2011, 11:00 PM
I actually have a feeling that leinart will be very serviceable in the next few games.... He just seems to have that cocky attitude and I think it might help him rise to this occasion... if the texans can pull off 3-4 wins we still make playoffs (most likely) and hopefully by then schaub is good to go!

leinart will be working extra time during the bye week with AJ and the rest of the receivers I have a feeling in my heart that all the players will rise up and show everyone that we are in fact a legitimate contender!

:texan:

hot pickle
11-15-2011, 11:02 PM

no way uncle bob lets schaub get traded! I can see if leinart does a good job we trade him for a 3rd rounder maybe a 2nd to a desperate team

Brisco_County
11-15-2011, 11:04 PM
no way uncle bob lets schaub get traded! I can see if leinart does a good job we trade him for a 3rd rounder maybe a 2nd to a desperate team

It all depends on how Leinart performs, but if he looks like a starter, Washington will pay a premium for one of our QB's.

SAMURAITEXAN
11-15-2011, 11:04 PM

Wow, thunderkyss. Positive thinking that I like.

Go Texans!!!

Nawzer
11-15-2011, 11:40 PM
I wish I could do research on how fans come to terms or cope when something really bad happens to their team. People are comparing Schaub to Leinart which I find laughable. One is a top 10 qb in this league, while the other one is effectively a bust. Can Leinart play well or at least manage not to loose games for us? Sure. Is it likely? Ummm...I'm going to have to say a NO until I see it. Leinart has done nothing up to this point to show he's going to be a starter in this league. He probably didn't sign with Seattle because Carroll wouldn't hand him the starting job. Make no mistake, loosing your starting qb is a huge huge blow to a team. The season from now on will depend on the o-line and the defense. We're going to have to run it like 50 times a game for us to win and the defense will have to continue to play at a very high level.

DexmanC
11-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Kubiak has a cookie-cutter QB system. Jake "100-INT'S" Plummer made
it to the AFC Championship Game with it.

Matt Leinart is much more talented than Sage Rosenfels, who ran
the system well.

Matt Leinart is much more mobile than Matt Schaub, which will add
a slight dimension to the QB position.

Matt Leinart would've been a sure-fire #1 draft pick if he had chosen
to enter the draft in 2005.

You got two starting RB's playing at a high level.

Andre's coming back.

What ya'll worried about?

TexCanada
11-16-2011, 01:35 AM
I wish I could do research on how fans come to terms or cope when something really bad happens to their team. People are comparing Schaub to Leinart which I find laughable. One is a top 10 qb in this league, while the other one is effectively a bust. Can Leinart play well or at least manage not to loose games for us? Sure. Is it likely? Ummm...I'm going to have to say a NO until I see it. Leinart has done nothing up to this point to show he's going to be a starter in this league. He probably didn't sign with Seattle because Carroll wouldn't hand him the starting job. Make no mistake, loosing your starting qb is a huge huge blow to a team. The season from now on will depend on the o-line and the defense. We're going to have to run it like 50 times a game for us to win and the defense will have to continue to play at a very high level.

While I agree that he has not proven that he is NFL quality, I disagree, for now, with you saying he is a bust. He is unproven, and in my eyes that goes both ways. He has not yet proven that he is bad yet.

I think he can do OK because he should be comfortable with this offense by now, and we are going to ask VERY little of him, especially at first. Matt2 only needs to complete about 10-12 passes a game and limit turnovers to beat most of the teams on our schedule.

Losing your QB is a huge blow, but he is not trying to replace Brees or Rodgers here, all he needs to do is not completely suck in order to find some success with this team.

As an aside, I think choosing to come back to Houston actually demonstrates a tiny little bit of maturity for Matt2. I don't know why he chose here, if it involved $, or a lack of other offers, but he signed here knowing he would be a backup. I have to think that he at least thought about this situation and decided that playing here behind Matt1 and with Kubiak helping him along, that it would be the best chance for him to continue playing football. I think he got served some humble pie and he has taken it fairly admirably.

That said, someone find Matty2 a beer bong, its time for FOOTBALL!!!!

TheMatrix31
11-16-2011, 04:00 AM
I recall a story about Leinart calling us a "stepping stone".

That really pissed me off. As if we were just a road apple for him. Well guess what, no one else took his punk ass and he came back to us.

Show us what you're made of, Leinart, but if you suck even a bit, I'm calling for your head. Dick.

http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2011/7/9/2267291/former-cardinals-qb-matt-leinart-speaks-out-on-bust-status

thunderkyss
11-16-2011, 08:26 AM
ProFootballWeekly (http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/11/15/qb-leinart-gets-his-chance-with-texans-in-need)
"I believe my teammates believe in me and my coaches believe I can get the job done, and that goes a long way in this profession," Leinart said. "And I believe in myself to get the job done. I'm excited just to be playing ball again. It's been a long time, and it's just a great situation to be a part of."

Everything he's said since they announced he is going to lead the team has inspired me with confidence. He's shown maturity & humility & respect for the game & the team.

I really want this guy to succeed.

thunderkyss
11-16-2011, 08:29 AM

Schaub probably won't be ready for the beginning of the season if it truly is what they are saying it is, & each week they put off surgery is only pushing back his recovery time.

ATXtexanfan
11-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Schaub probably won't be ready for the beginning of the season if it truly is what they are saying it is, & each week they put off surgery is only pushing back his recovery time.

man i didn't think of that, how long a recovery if he has surgery?

steelbtexan
11-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Why not?

Kubiak coached up Matt who was a backup to Mike Vick for all of his career to be a top 10 starter for us.

He coached up Steve Young who was a back up to Montana...

If history shows us anything about the situation we are in, it's that Kubiak does a good job coaching up backup QBs

Dan O

Although Leinhart will be good enough to get the Texans to the playoffs.

They will probably lose in the 1st rd. Through very little fault of Leinhart.

Texan_Bill
11-16-2011, 08:50 AM
I thought Leinart's biggest knock was that he went to the checkdown too quickly?

AKA CaliCarr Syndrome

Showtime100

man i didn't think of that, how long a recovery if he has surgery?

Yeah, I didn't have the slightest clue how serious it was until Marcus posted this in another thread....

(posted by Marcus)
Well, there's one thing Schaub and I have in common.

We both have suffered LisFranc injuries. His is not as bad as mine was, if the reports are true that his 2nd metatarsal is just dislocated. Mine blew up like a hand grenade. Took a whole month for the swelling to go down before they could operate on it. Took two plates and 13 screws to put it back together.

And it's a lucky thing I posted about it way back when it happened. Wolf saw it and alerted CnD. Long story short, it was CnD who steered me to the right doc. Even so, it took over a year and half before I could walk without a limp.

It was quite the deal.

That really sobered me up. :choke:

skymike
Saints Fan here:

You ready for some gut spilling?

In '06, our "Rebirth" year, I wanted us to draft Matt Leinart. Not Reggie Bush. (I like Reggie now.)

Also, not knowing much about it, I wrongly assumed Drew Brees to be a
retread.

Fortunately, I never aspired to be a general manager.

Keep your heads up, get behind Leinart, and Believe!

Showtime100
11-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Saints Fan here:

You ready for some gut spilling?

In '06, our "Rebirth" year, I wanted us to draft Matt Leinart. Not Reggie Bush. (I like Reggie now.)

Also, not knowing much about it, I wrongly assumed Drew Brees to be a
retread.

Fortunately, I never aspired to be a general manager.

Keep your heads up, get behind Leinart, and Believe!

Lol, yeah, we all miss from time to time. Thanks for the words and by the way, nice post when you came back to talk about underestimating Texan fans. Classy of you to say. :tiphat:

Allstar
11-16-2011, 02:25 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/dbqltt.png

HOU-TEX
11-16-2011, 02:53 PM

Nice

Although, I don't think bulls have udders. Unless, of course, he's got 4 peepee's. Or 2 peepee's with 2 heads

ThaJokaa
11-16-2011, 03:35 PM
lol at pic fail

Rey
11-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Some cows have horns...

But I get the point...

gary
11-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Is it next next Sunday yet?

ObsiWan
11-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Is it next next Sunday yet?
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/1/3/128754825625541232.jpg

Showtime100
11-16-2011, 06:44 PM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/1/3/128754825625541232.jpg

No doubt. I like the way a 7 looks next to a 3 with a hyphen in the middle.

7-3.........it just looks so good. :splits:

gary
11-16-2011, 06:52 PM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/1/3/128754825625541232.jpgOnce we get past the first game with Leinart stating then the talk will slowly cease.

thunderkyss
11-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Once we get past the first game with Leinart stating then the talk will slowly cease.

You know better than that.

Remember what they say about the back-up QB.... the talk will just be starting.

ObsiWan
11-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Once we get past the first game with Leinart stating then the talk will slowly cease.
That depends on how we do.

gary
11-16-2011, 07:28 PM
You know better than that.

Remember what they say about the back-up QB.... the talk will just be starting.Maybe trade Schaub talks.:runaway:

brakos82
11-16-2011, 08:58 PM
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb23/brakos82/379462_2452129936933_1062551236_2713815_736177551_ n.jpg

Craig.
11-16-2011, 10:27 PM
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb23/brakos82/379462_2452129936933_1062551236_2713815_736177551_ n.jpg

Win.

ChampionTexan
11-16-2011, 10:38 PM

I don't think bulls have udders.

Okay, we basically have the same problem with Wade as we had with the bull.

HOU-TEX
11-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Wow! Wades bewbs are smaller than in real life

b0ng
11-17-2011, 10:11 AM

Our D is pretty good, but in no way could it be called one of the greatest defenses of all-time (Which is what the Ravens '00 team could be called). I think we have the horses on defense to help us get into the playoffs, but I think we could be really boned if we need to win a shoot-out.

One thing Matt L. is doing that's good, my wife is now generally interested in Texans football, since the starting QB doesn't look like someone who is perma-stoned.

Texan_Bill
11-17-2011, 10:14 AM
This thread has taken a disturbingly turn for the worse.

:facepalm: Weirdos!

El Tejano
11-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Hey if Rex Grossman can do this, Schaub can do this.

thunderkyss
11-17-2011, 02:42 PM
Hey if Rex Grossman can do this, Schaub can do this.

:smh:

GuerillaBlack
11-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Leinart playing in big games during college will help him in the playoffs I think, even if Schaub has had more experience in this system. I don't think Schaub has played in any big games (at least compared to Leinart). I know the NFL Playoffs is like nothing else, but I gotta feeling...

ChampionTexan
11-17-2011, 05:10 PM
but I gotta feeling...

Then let's get it started.

:toropalm: