7/13

Handing the ball off most of the game

Ryan
11-14-2011, 03:58 PM
40-40 on handoffs.

marv800
1-5

I thought Wade had saved Kubiak's job. Maybe not so much anymore. If anything good can come of this, hopefully its Kubiak getting fired...finally...

Shaft75
I was just about to start this thread...

I think he should do alright. He's wanted his 2nd chance to prove himself and here it is with the best team in the AFC.

I'm just going to have to adjust my way of watching this offense with a lefty leading them down the field. Maybe he'll be our Hostetler/Brady/Reich(sorry to conjure up old ****)...

The1ApplePie
11-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Has the physical tools.

Mentally? Let's hope he's matured...

michaelm
11-14-2011, 04:00 PM
1-0 in week 11.

TexansFanatic
11-14-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm just going to have to adjust my way of watching this offense with a lefty leading them down the field.

Forgot about the southpaw thing.

That means Winston will be protecting his blind side....

Errant Hothy
11-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Better than Tebow.

TexansFanatic
11-14-2011, 04:04 PM
1-5

I thought Wade had saved Kubiak's job. Maybe not so much anymore. If anything good can come of this, hopefully its Kubiak getting fired...finally...

If we've learned anything about Bob McNair it's that he looks for reasons not to fire Gary.

Losing Schaub would be that reason if the Texans suddenly collapse in his absence.

TheMatrix31
11-14-2011, 04:07 PM
1-5

Wow.

........wow.

Dutchrudder
11-14-2011, 04:08 PM
I predict Matt Lienart will be the beneficiary of many fine women now that he gets to start for an NFL team.

Austrian
I just hope he is better than Gabbert or Painter.

76Texan
At any rate, it's time for Leinart to earn his paycheck.
He has had plenty of time to practice with the team.
He has always wanted a chance to show his worth.
I'm gonna give him a chance!

Playoffs
11-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Sorry, but I just can't muster any optimism over Leinart.

I'm crushed.

TexanFan881
11-14-2011, 04:11 PM
1-5

I think the Colts have proven how important good QB play is, and this is not Gary's fault. Losing your best players for significant time is definitely not Gary's fault. But even at 9-7 (winning two more games) we win the division in my opinion. Then hopefully Schaub's back in those six weeks and we get him for the playoffs.

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 04:12 PM
We kept him for a reason. I have faith in Kubiak's choice of QB, I have faith in Lienart.....

My bung will be puckered over the next 6 weeks. (I know you probably didn't want to know that..... )

LikeMike
11-14-2011, 04:14 PM
This is it for Matt Leinart. He either proves that all the hype coming out of college weren`t all bull*** and that he can be a NFL caliber QB - or he will forever be known as just another bust.

He is in a perfect situation here. With a dominant defense, the leagues best running attack and one of the best O-Lines - and arguably the best receiver of the league coming back - there are no more excuses. He doesn`t have to be Aaron Rodgers - he has to be Alex Smith (the 2011 version). The next 6 game will decide the rest of his career.

Look, if you had, one shot, or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted-One moment
Would you capture it, or just let it slip?

This opportunity comes once in a lifetime...

Austrian
11-14-2011, 04:15 PM
We kept him for a reason. I have faith in Kubiak's choice of QB, I have faith in Lienart.....

My bung will be puckered over the next 6 weeks. (I know you probably didn't want to know that..... )

Kubiak held onto Orlovsky for two years. And this year it seems he's gonna be the first QB to see extensive playing time on two 0-16 teams. Color me sceptical.

HOU-TEX
11-14-2011, 04:15 PM
As I stated in the other thread, it depends how good Kubiak really is with QBs. If he's as good as advertised, Leinart should be okay.

I think Leinart might take more chances than Schaub does. Let us bow our heads and pray, "Lord, please confirm Matt Leinart has matured in his short tenure as a Texan with good performance on the football field, Amen"

BullNation4Life
11-14-2011, 04:16 PM
1-5

:kubepalm:

aaaaaannd here come back the haters....

Playoffs
11-14-2011, 04:16 PM
That's an unfortunate word picture. :mcnugget:

Ndevine7
11-14-2011, 04:17 PM
5-1 revitalizes his career here and we send him to seattle to be reunited with Pete Carroll for 2 2nd round picks..... now wouldnt that be nice

Naiirb
11-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Leinart is basically playing for his career here now. If he cant get it down with this supporting cast he will never get it done.

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm trying to look at the bright side on this...... but I know the Jags are licking their chops right now.

Remember Detroit vs Denver? They didn't care about Tebow throwing the ball. That's the way the Jags are going to approach this. They're going to send 7 & 8 until Lienart beats them.

BullNation4Life
11-14-2011, 04:29 PM
If any injury can come at a good time, and trust me I do not think this is a good injury, it would be now. If it has to be Leinart, at least Kubiak has him for 2 full weeks to work on a game plan that will fit Leinart's skillset.

Matt Leinart is in the perfect system for what he does. This system does not ask allot from it's QB, as long as the running game is on and for the most part, it is on. If he can succeed, it will be under Gary Kubiak and this system. I still think they beat JAX, Carolina and Tennessee, maybe Cicny to clinth this thing...

I remember an out of football grocery bagger that took a St.Louis team to a Super Bowl win once before so stranger things can happen in this league...

michaelm
11-14-2011, 04:31 PM
If any injury can come at a good time, and trust me I do not think this is a good injury, it would be now. If it has to be Leinart, at least Kubiak has him for 2 full weeks to work on a game plan that will fit Leinart's skillset.

Matt Leinart is the perfect system for what he does. This system does not ask allot from it's QB, as long as the running game is on and for the most part, it is on. If he can succeed, it will be under Gary Kubiak and this system.

I remember a out of football grocery bagger that took a St.Louis team to a Super Bowl win once before so stranger things can happen in this league...

Speaking of Kurt Warner... he's available, right?!?!?

fiasco west
11-14-2011, 04:32 PM
1-0 in week 11.

This, not looking past week 11.

There are 10 other guys on the field on offense, the Texans are not the Colts. They have actually filled their team with talent and can win games without the QB playing amazing.

Lets remember we field the best defense in the NFL. Those guys have a say in this as well.

fiasco west
11-14-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm trying to look at the bright side on this...... but I know the Jags are licking their chops right now.

Remember Detroit vs Denver? They didn't care about Tebow throwing the ball. That's the way the Jags are going to approach this. They're going to send 7 & 8 until Lienart beats them.

I hope they do, the thought was teams would send 8 man fronts when Andre went out and the team still dominated. Andre is coming back...

If Andre was not coming back, i'd be REALLY REALLY worried though.

TexanFan881
11-14-2011, 04:34 PM
5-1 revitalizes his career here and we send him to seattle to be reunited with Pete Carroll for 2 2nd round picks..... now wouldnt that be nice

To think, he should be in Seattle right now if that original contract he signed went through...

Where would we be now if that happened?

houstonspartan
11-14-2011, 04:36 PM
There's a reason why Eminem won an Oscar for that song. It's fantastic. I was at the gym the other day and my ipod shuffled to it. I hadn't heard it in a while, and it gave me goosebumps. One of the most inspirational songs ever.

As for Leinart, you are correct: This is it. He's said for a while that he can be a starter in the league. The stakes here are high, and it's time to show he can lead.

MojoMan
11-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Is Matt Leinart a better QB than Kubiak was when he was backing up John Elway in Denver?

Not that Kubiak was a bad backup QB, but I think that Leinart is probably better than Kubiak was.

Ranger Tom
11-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Good thing he has two weeks to think about this; otherwise I'd be worried about the amount of pressure he's facing.

michaelm
11-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Is Matt Leinart a better QB than Kubiak was when he was backing up John Elway in Denver?

Not that Kubiak was a bad backup QB, but I think that Leinart is probably better than Kubiak was.

You might be right, but I'm not sure it means anything.

fiasco west
11-14-2011, 04:40 PM
There must be a reason Leinart passed up a potential starting job in Seattle for a back-up job in Houston.

He must have been learning something, lets put it to good use.

blitz90
11-14-2011, 04:41 PM
He's got a better arm that Schaub so hopefully we won't see our receivers constantly underthrown. Yates has a better arm than both Matts but thats a diff. topic.

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Lienart had a good rookie season right?

It was just everything after that right? They never got the running game going, then Warner did his thing... right?

Wouldn't that be one hell of a Story if we win the Super Bowl with Lienart?

Texecutioner
Actually a ton of posters should be happy now since so many wanted Schaub sent packing. Now they got their wish, and they can see if we're really better after all without him.

Texanmike02

That's fine. Denver AND Detroit lack the running game we have. This will be an interesting time for us.

Mike

TexansFanatic
11-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Lienart had a good rookie season right?

It was just everything after that right? They never got the running game going, then Warner did his thing... right?

But then Warner retired, leaving Leinart as the favorite to lead the team the following season.

Leinart then failed to beat out Derek Anderson for the starting job.....

imatexan
11-14-2011, 04:50 PM
1-5

TYPICAL.

We are 7-3 and your are talking about firing our head coach.

Texecutioner
11-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Leinart is a very similar QB to what Schaub is. He throws lob passes but is pretty darn accurate. He isn't mobile at all, but he throws with his left hand which will be the hard thing to get used to. If he can get better at his decision making and has matured this might not be the end of the world.

For Schaub bashers that have wanted him gone, they should be stoked right now.

Rey
Actually a ton of posters should be happy now since so many wanted Schaub sent packing. Now they got their wish, and they can see if we're really better after all without him.

Honestly I'm not in panic mode.

Texans haven't been passing the ball a lot and it matt2 gets to make some of the same throws that matt1 made I think well be ok.

But I don't remember seeing anyone say that Leinart was better that shammy.

BullNation4Life
But then Warner retired, leaving Leinart as the favorite to lead the team the following season.

Leinart then failed to beat out Derek Anderson for the starting job.....

Yeah but AZ's oline sucked those years. That was why Warner had to retire, kept getting killed and end up with a concussion.

This Texans team has a much better Oline to protect Leinart than he did in AZ PLUS the Texans have a much, much, much better running game....

In 2 weeks, we will see what kind of miracle worker Kubiak is with QB's

michaelm
Matt Lienart made a living in college hitting wide open receivers because he had a dominating running game behind him.

The Texans offense is the best in the league at getting receivers open, IMO.

Not only that, but teams will put more emphasis on shutting down our running game, and I think Lienart will have plenty of open looks.

He doesn't have to beat the world, just manage the game.

That should be the main thing that is pounded into his head. YOU ARE NOT TRYING TO WIN A SUPER BOWL IN A SINGLE GAME.

Really, if you think about it, Schaub hasn't really had to do much this year to win games. I can't think of many situations that the game was thrust upon his shoulders, and he had to go out and win it.
I've seen a few mentions of how our running game has taken the emphasis off the passing game, and reduced the number of mistakes Schaub has made.

This situation sucks, but I'm optimistic that the team can carry Lienart through it successfully. Not the other way around.

fiasco west
11-14-2011, 04:56 PM
One thing we are going to miss from Schaub is that he had real comeback ability.

Usually he came back from large holes and the defense failed him. I was looking forward to this as this is a ability we will need in the playoffs against better teams.

TexansFanatic
11-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Yeah but AZ's oline sucked those years. That was why Warner had to retire, kept getting killed and end up with a concussion.

This Texans team has a much better Oline to protect Leinart than he did in AZ PLUS the Texans have a much, much, much better running game....

In 2 weeks, we will see what kind of miracle worker Kubiak is with QB's

AZ's entire offense may have sucked, but Derek Anderson, drafted in the sixth round from Oregon State, still outperformed a Heisman trophy winning top ten draft pick......

Double Barrel
11-14-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm still too shocked at the news to process a prediction at the moment...

We still have a no. 1 defense and a great pair of running backs, so all hope should not be lost.

In Leinart We Trust! :texflag:

fiasco west
11-14-2011, 05:00 PM
AZ's entire offense may have sucked, but Derek Anderson, drafted in the sixth round from Oregon State, still outperformed a Heisman trophy winning top ten draft pick......

The Cardinals aren't exactly known for their QB decisions...in fact it is the one thing that holds them back.

If Kubes likes Matt 2 I like Matt 2. He knows what he's doing with QBs.

LikeMike
11-14-2011, 05:02 PM

Well sometimes when things go wrong, you get on a bad roll - bad gets to worse and you are still a young guy - everything seems to work against you, expectations, O-Line, running game, following a superbowl MVP...

Sometimes you find yourself in a situation you can`t get yourself out of.

And sometimes a change of scenery and the right people can help you get back to yourself, learn and improve. And then there might be the one chance to make it all right again. The one chance to take all the bad stuff and the good stuff and show what you are really made off.

Let`s just hope, that this is the story for Matt Leinart...

Fili
11-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Everyone needs to calm down. Matt Leinart has 2 weeks to get mentally and physically prepared. Leinart has been with our club for a couple years now and he knows how things work. Worst case scenario Leinart gets nervous and gets defeated by himself.

Sideline
11-14-2011, 05:03 PM
If this was going to happen it couldn't have happened at a better time.

Leinart now has two weeks to take first team snaps and prepare like an NFL starter. Schaub isn't dead so he will be there to go with him through the whole process of breaking down film etc.

Leinart will be helped by the return of Andre Johnson which should pull someone out of the box again giving us even more room to run the football meaning Leinart will have to do little more than manage the game. Much like Alex Smith is doing with the 8-1 San Francisco 49ers.

We don't have a very hard schedule and hopefully Schaub can use this time to heel up and come back ready to go for a strong playoff run.

houstonspartan
11-14-2011, 05:03 PM
There must be a reason Leinart passed up a potential starting job in Seattle for a back-up job in Houston.

He must have been learning something, lets put it to good use.

My understanding is that Seattle never made him an offer.

But, your overall point is a good one, though. Leinart did take himself off the market and decided to stay in Houston. So maybe he's getting it.

BullNation4Life
11-14-2011, 05:04 PM

I guess and that bar wasn't set too high...

This is a far better system for Leinart than AZ was. Can't wait for 2 weeks to fly by.

TdotTexas2Step
11-14-2011, 05:05 PM
I think we'll be fine guys.

http://memegenerator.net/cache/instances/400x/10/11168/11436084.jpg

fiasco west
11-14-2011, 05:05 PM
If this was going to happen it couldn't have happened at a better time.

Leinart now has two weeks to take first team snaps and prepare like an NFL starter. Schaub isn't dead so he will be there to go with him through the whole process of breaking down film etc.

Leinart will be helped by the return of Andre Johnson which should pull someone out of the box again giving us even more room to run the football meaning Leinart will have to do little more than manage the game. Much like Alex Smith is doing with the 8-1 San Francisco 49ers.

We don't have a very hard schedule and hopefully Schaub can use this time to heel up and come back ready to go for a strong playoff run.

Matt 1 is out for the year.

But I agree with everything else. Especially about Andre, no one is putting 8 man in the box when he's out there, I really hope they do...good luck with that.

No less Daniels, Walters, and Casey...Teams still weren't stuffing men in the box when Andre went out. Texans have a very good Oline, as I said we are not the Colts so dependent on the QB that if he goes down it's all over with.

Texecutioner
11-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Honestly I'm not in panic mode.

Texans haven't been passing the ball a lot and it matt2 gets to make some of the same throws that matt1 made I think well be ok.

But I don't remember seeing anyone say that Leinart was better that shammy.

No, a ton just wanted him sent packing after the season and stated over and over that they had seen enough. I remember going on and on and explaining how hard it is to get a top 10 QB and how there really was no one better we'd have a shot at. So now folks can see what it's like to have someone else in there. Some were even asking for Leinart actually.

I'm not to worried either. I have confidence that Leinart can do alright in this offense and was happy that we resigned him in the off season. He's a good back up to have, and I sincerely hope that he doesn't prove that statement to be wrong. His skill set is very similar to Schaub's though.

TheRealJoker
11-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Who were our 4 most important players to start the year? Who has missed or will miss significant time? Yet we are 7-3...

Leinart, you're the next man up. Lets keep this run going Texans!!!

spurstexanstros
11-14-2011, 05:21 PM

that looks like four wins right there.

Double Barrel
11-14-2011, 05:23 PM
that looks like four wins right there.

I see EIGHT wins! :D

Fili
11-14-2011, 05:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPh7AovVxyE

Fili
11-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Offseason Matt Schuab on his back-up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPh7AovVxyE

ChrisG
11-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Perfect time for the bye. Matt2 gets an extra week to get rolling and Aj gets to heal. Im trying to remain optimistic. Its getting real hard lol

Also this changes the dynamics of our bootleg. Matt L is a lefty. He will be rolling out the opposite way of schaub

PhilpW
11-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Matt 1 is out for the year.

Link ?

CDNTexansFan
11-14-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm sure it's been said already but look at Matt the last three games:

11/15, 242 passing
14/23, 119 passing
16/30, 225 passing

His passing stats are bloated this week thanks to Arian taking a short completion to the house and the Bucs DB's cheating on play action and getting burned accordingly. Neither play was a superstar QB throw. My point is, there is nothing spectacular about those numbers because he doesn't have to try and win it himself with big time throws.

This offence has evolved into a fairly "fool proof" unit. We will run the ball 35 times, hit our TE's for first downs and utilize play action to stretch the defence. It's a dream offence for any backup QB to step into, especially when Andre is back. It helps that we also have a very good defensive unit that creates turnovers and good field position for our offense.

I'd be surprised if we go worse than 4-2 down the stretch regardless of who is at quarterback.

Double Lung
11-14-2011, 05:51 PM
One thing we are going to miss from Schaub is that he had real comeback ability.

Usually he came back from large holes and the defense failed him. I was looking forward to this as this is a ability we will need in the playoffs against better teams.

:lol:

welsh texan
11-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Fact is, last week Schaub passed for 230 yards or so, now, I know he didn't need to pass for any more so this isn't bashing him in any way at all.

But thats my point. Schaub didn't have to do anything spectacular last week, heck, 150 of those yards came on 2 plays in which the reciever made people miss in space.

Here's what I'm getting at, when our D and running game fire on all cylinders, Schaub never had the chance to show what he could do. In the second half I think we had something like 30 passing yards. We had a good QB on the field but we didn't need to use him.

So if the running game and D continue to put in performances like that, how well does Leineart really need to do to pick up wins??

The truth is that as long as Leineart can make a few throws here and there early in the game, we'll be OK. At least the guy knows the system really well, has almost 2 years of practice snaps with the offense, and will realise that this is probably his one and only chance.

I look forward to seeing him earn us an extra #1 in this years draft over the remainder of the season.

welsh texan
11-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Perfect time for the bye. Matt2 gets an extra week to get rolling and Aj gets to heal. Im trying to remain optimistic. Its getting real hard lol

Also this changes the dynamics of our bootleg. Matt L is a lefty. He will be rolling out the opposite way of schaub

Schaub's bootleg used to kill the other team, now its the other way round, his leg boot is killing us :kubepalm: I'll get me coat.

TexanScott
11-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Leinart doesn't need to be oustanding. With this rushing attack and having the #1 Defense right now he just needs to manage the game and not make mistakes. One advantage for him is that good tight ends and receiving backs are an average quarterback's best friends and that is one thing we certainly do have. If teams try to send the house against us it will leave Daniels/Dreesen open over the middle or Foster/Casey open in the flats. Leinart needs to just atke advantage of what is given to him and protect the ball when there is nothing.

Double Barrel
11-14-2011, 06:02 PM
You cannot overlook how well Schaub sells the play action. That's what makes the bootleg so effective, as well. The opposing team biting on a run allows him to run outside to find an open receiver.

I do not have a lot info on Leinart, especially how he sells the play action. Does anyone here know?

Thorn
11-14-2011, 06:06 PM
NFLN was just upbeat about Leinart and the Texans keeping going. Just saying.....

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
11-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Ground and pound our way to 12-4.

http://theutmdisconnect.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/winning.jpg

kingh99
11-14-2011, 06:17 PM
They need another QB. Fact.
What teams are ready to toss in the towel for the year and entertain trading their QB for picks?
Indy - nothing
St. Loius - nothing
Carolina - nothing
Minny - nothing
Miami - nothing
KC and the rest of the AFC west are out. All teams still in contention
Seattle and Arizona have nothing
Washington has nothing

Cleveland has Colt McCoy. They would probably part with him for a first and one of our QBs. I bet he would do okay with a strong cast around him. That's who I would target.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
11-14-2011, 06:19 PM
They need another QB. Fact.
What teams are ready to toss in the towel for the year and entertain trading their QB for picks?
Indy - nothing
St. Loius - nothing
Carolina - nothing
Minny - nothing
Miami - nothing
KC and the rest of the AFC west are out. All teams still in contention
Seattle and Arizona have nothing
Washington has nothing

Cleveland has Colt McCoy. They would probably part with him for a first and one of our QBs. I bet he would do okay with a strong cast around him. That's who I would target.

Trade deadline has passed and theres no ****ing way I would give up a 1st round pick for Colt McCoy.

Iceman16
11-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Hopefully he's even worse than I expect and they bring Yates in.

Iceman16
11-14-2011, 06:23 PM
He's got a better arm that Schaub

Lol? Leinart has one of the weakest arms in the league.

fiasco west
11-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Hopefully he's even worse than I expect and they bring Yates in.

So you are hoping Matt 2 fails so bad that Yates comes in? You do realize that with Kubes and this organizations patience that Means losing the next 5 games.

I'm not one to question peoples fandom, but hoping your starting QB fails so that someone else can play is not being much of a fan.

gwallaia
11-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Somehow the Texans have managed to win without Mario Williams and Andre Johnson. They will have to do the same with Schaub out.

We still have great running backs and a great defense.

With the bye week, the coaches are going to have to get Leinart prepped and ready. (I'm not sure how much work Leinart has got with the 1st team offense during practices.)

I'm sure no one with the Texans is sitting around feeling sorry for themselves. Let's go Texans! This is the year of the "Injured Playoff Run".

TheRealJoker
11-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Matt Leinart hasn't done anything in the NFL. But he's gonna be playing behind the best offensive line in football. He's gonna have the best running back tandem in the league. The future hall of famer Andre Johnson should be returning just in time to put this team on his back and carry them into the postseason. And last but not least, he's got the NFL's # 1 defense in yards allowed covering up his mistakes.

Lets keep this run going Texans!!!

Iceman16
11-14-2011, 06:28 PM
So you are hoping Matt 2 fails so bad that Yates comes in? You do realize that with Kubes and this organizations patience that Means losing the next 5 games.

I'm not one to question peoples fandom, but hoping your starting QB fails so that someone else can play is not being much of a fan.
I'm being a realist. Leinart is an awful quarterback. Yates at the very least has potential.

Though obviously you're right. Kubiak is probably going to stick it out with him for at least a month even if he's as bad as I expect him to be.

Iceman16
11-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Somehow the Texans have managed to win without Mario Williams and Andre Johnson.
Somehow = Wade replaced Mario with Demarcus Ware lite, someone that legitimately fits in at 3-4 OLB, and we replaced Andre with using Ben Tate more. That's a lot different than replacing a decent QB with a **** QB.

Rey
11-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Leinart will be fine.

I think he will play very well for us.

Jmo.

MEGA SWATT
11-14-2011, 06:30 PM

We keep rolling!

No Mario, no AJ, no MS, NO problem.

Pantherstang84
11-14-2011, 06:32 PM
The possible silver lining here is the opposition does not have much film on Leinart. Kubiak will do everything he can to get him comfortable.

If Leinart has matured at all and is willing to put in the work (as in his butt better be at Reliant as I type this), he might work out fine. Heck, he may surprise a few folks.

SheTexan
11-14-2011, 06:33 PM
I come home after a CRAPPY day at work and read all this garbage!! I'm depressed and my brain just can't take anymore bad news, so think I'll just go get drunk!

Tailgate
11-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Dilfer makes an interesting point. He is a lefty, could make for a rough transition on the little things alone. Bye week just got ALOT busier.

kiwitexansfan
11-14-2011, 06:34 PM
I think he game manages us well enough to get us the division win and looks competitive in the playoffs.

I think the ceiling has come down on the season some if Schaub is not QBing in the playoffs.

Schaub has not been that prolific this year, I can't see why Leinart can't handoff, hit some wideopen guys off playaction and pitch and catch with AJ and AF.

Best of all we get the news with the bye in front of us and the Jags to beat on the first week up.

Keeping the faith, keeping my spirits up.

and MOAR Hottubs.

silentassassin
11-14-2011, 06:39 PM
I don't have any specific reason.

I just believe, against all odds.

:texan:

fiasco west
11-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Dilfer makes an interesting point. He is a lefty, could make for a rough transition on the little things alone. Bye week just got ALOT busier.

Yeah but Steve Young pretty much laughed at that idea. I'll go with Young on this, besides if it was that big of a deal then we'd never bring in a left-handed QB to back-up Matt 1.

If this was a short week then I think it would be a problem, but everyone has two weeks to get used to their new left handed QB.

honored82
11-14-2011, 06:50 PM
The Houston Texans have survived some big injuries this season: defensive end Mario Williams (done), receiver Andre Johnson (due back soon), safety Danieal Manning (due back in a few weeks).

Next we’ll find out if they can win without quarterback Matt Schaub.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/30673/schaub-is-next-injury-test-for-texans

Norg
11-14-2011, 06:57 PM
this is what Leinart should be listening to right now :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO2wA0Te0wM

:vincepalm:

I think we will be fine remember that game

Cards vs Tenn Leinart vs VY man he played decent that game IMO

paycheck71
11-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Here's my Leinart prediction.

He steps in for Schaub and takes the Texans to the playoffs. From there it gets a little more hazy, but he does well enough for the Redskins to trade a #1 pick for him (provided the Shanahans don't get fired).

ATRAIN
11-14-2011, 07:05 PM
[QUOTE=thunderkyss;1828107]We kept him for a reason. I have faith in Kubiak's choice of QB, I have faith in Lienart.....

QUOTE]

Im with you here

ThaJokaa
11-14-2011, 07:06 PM
If the Patriots could do it with Matt Cassel, then we can do it with Matt Leinart

Thorn
11-14-2011, 07:10 PM
If the Patriots could do it with Matt Cassel, then we can do it with Matt Leinart

Considering Hot Tub Boy's surrounding cast on offense, and our defense, I'll buy that.

PhilpW
11-14-2011, 07:13 PM

The Dilfer that "led" the Ravens to the Super Bowl with his stellar play. Hand off, don't turn the ball over and let the defense win games. Yea, his opinion is valuable.

ObsiWan
11-14-2011, 07:20 PM

so What... let them come...
Go ahead... Rush 7 or 8 and leave a well-rested and repaired A.J. in single coverage if you dare.

That's what hot read slants and WR screens are for

If I'm Dennison with two weeks to get a game plan ready, I'll play them just like we did Cleveland and Tampa who also figured they could stack the box and stop us. Early on we passed them silly.
Let
Them
COME!

you people can lament all you want.
These "kids" haven't crumbled yet.
They won't crumble now.

TexCanada
11-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Matty 2 will be OK, and that is all we need him to be. He can't ask for a better situation to come into. He knows the offense, has plenty of time to study the opposing defense, has numerous weapons and a great Oline.

I'm sure the Jags will stuff plenty of guys in the box at first, but once we burn them on a slant pass to AJ, or a screen pass to Foster then they will become a lot more honest.

I'm sure he will make some mistakes, but this running game and D should allow him some breathing room in that case anyway.

AnthonyE
11-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Go ahead... Rush 7 or 8 and leave a well-rested and repaired A.J. in single coverage if you dare.

If I'm Dennison with two weeks to get a game plan ready, I'll play them just like we did Cleveland and Tampa who also figured they could stack the box and stop us. Early on we passed them silly.
Let
Them
COME!

They won't crumble now.

I bet the first play from scrimmage will be a play action to a wide open Andre Johnson. Show them why you shouldn't stack 8 or 9 in the box against this team.

Hervoyel
11-14-2011, 07:40 PM
The backup QB has one job. Hiding the gaping hole left by the starting QB going down.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/Leinart-Mayhem.jpg

If you found your backup QB in some other teams scrap pile then you might be paying for this injury with your job....

EllisUnit
11-14-2011, 07:43 PM
This is it for Matt Leinart. He either proves that all the hype coming out of college weren`t all bull*** and that he can be a NFL caliber QB - or he will forever be known as just another bust.

He is in a perfect situation here. With a dominant defense, the leagues best running attack and one of the best O-Lines - and arguably the best receiver of the league coming back - there are no more excuses. He doesn`t have to be Aaron Rodgers - he has to be Alex Smith (the 2011 version). The next 6 game will decide the rest of his career.

Look, if you had, one shot, or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted-One moment
Would you capture it, or just let it slip?

This opportunity comes once in a lifetime...

did you just quote eminem ? :boogie:

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 07:47 PM

Then I wonder why we haven't seen any of them yet.

If it weren't for you reminding us that they were out there, we wouldn't even know they exist.

EllisUnit
11-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Then I wonder why we haven't seen any of them yet.

If it weren't for you reminding us that they were out there, we wouldn't even know they exist.

Its because its easy to talk about replacing him, but to lose him mid season while our season looks so promising is problably not the ideal they had in mind. I doubt anyone is happy about losing Schaub at this point.

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 07:54 PM

Let
Them
COME!

They won't crumble now.

I'm thinking the first play should be a boot just like the one Jacoby scored on vs Tampa Bay.

Right out the gate.

But, since we know they know we know they'll bring the house, they'll probably fake the run blitz, drop back into coverage while sending the backside end up the field.... it might make more sense to just run the outside stretch.

Wolf
11-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Serious question: Is Matt Leinart any better or worse than Mark Sanchez or vice versa?

Vote this:

UP for Leinart being better

DOWN for Sanchez being better

See below for TIE vote.

lol 300 up 128 down

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/14/texans-are-built-to-survive-leinart-in-the-short-term/#more-167062

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Its because its easy to talk about replacing him, but to lose him mid season while our season looks so promising is problably not the ideal they had in mind. I doubt anyone is happy about losing Schaub at this point.

There's that, plus I remember the "replace Schaub" guys were saying to draft a guy to sit on the bench & watch Schaub play out the last year of his contract (2012).

I guess they weren't happy with TJ Yates.

But it wasn't like they were saying to "ship him off" this offseason & find his replacement in the same offseason.

Now yes, there are a lot of guys who don't believe Schaub will get us to the Super Bowl.

There are a lot of guys (like myself) who recognizes Schaub's limitations.

But I seriously doubt anyone is "happy" to finally see Lienart.

Now, if we win vs the Jags, the "QB controversy" stuff will start, regardless how Lienart looks.

Playoffs
11-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Get out of the hot tub, Matt...

Turn off the sun lamp,

Stop the body shaving.

Time to man up, suit up, and claim your place.

marv800
11-14-2011, 08:06 PM
TYPICAL.

We are 7-3 and your are talking about firing our head coach.

We are 7-3 because of Wade. Kubiak should have been fired years ago on the day of the Rosencopter incident.

EllisUnit
11-14-2011, 08:07 PM
There's that, plus I remember the "replace Schaub" guys were saying to draft a guy to sit on the bench & watch Schaub play out the last year of his contract (2012).

I guess they weren't happy with TJ Yates.

But it wasn't like they were saying to "ship him off" this offseason & find his replacement in the same offseason.

Now yes, there are a lot of guys who don't believe Schaub will get us to the Super Bowl.

Now, if we win vs the Jags, the "QB controversy" stuff will start, regardless how Lienart looks.

Personally i loved the way T.J yates played in the pre season, very strong arm, very accurate. i would love to see him in there TBH.

fiasco west
11-14-2011, 08:09 PM

Let
Them
COME!

They won't crumble now.

I personally find it funny that so many people think teams will load up the box against the Texans now.

It's funny.

If your team is not named the New York Jets and you do not have a corner named Darrelle Revis you are not putting your CB on a island and stacking the box. People are basically saying that teams are going to put a single CB on Andre Johnson...please do that...

The thing is also that teams have filled the box some when AJ went out...it hasn't worked...

Now blitzing...that's a different story...if teams plan to blitz more I understand that. They need to see how Matt 2 will handle blitzes.

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 08:11 PM
the backup qb has one job. Hiding the gaping hole left by the starting qb going down.

if you found your backup qb in some other teams scrap pile then you might be paying for this injury with your job....

msr

aussie_texan
11-14-2011, 08:12 PM
msr

can someone explain to me this "msr"??

Hervoyel
11-14-2011, 08:14 PM
can someone explain to me this "msr"??

"msr" means "Must Spread Rep" meaning you just gave rep to someone not long ago so you can't rep them again. Kind of a "I would if I could" compliment.

Hervoyel
11-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Leinart is going to look dominant against Jacksonville. The whole team will pull together, Defense is gonna be lights out, offensive line is going to be opening holes all over the place for Tate and Foster. When he does throw it's going to be safe stuff and junk they've spent two weeks working on. ESPN is going to be talking about a resurrected Matt Leinart and getting way ahead of themselves on this story.

Wolf
11-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Leinart is going to look dominant against Jacksonville. The whole team will pull together, Defense is gonna be lights out, offensive line is going to be opening holes all over the place for Tate and Foster. When he does throw it's going to be safe stuff and junk they've spent two weeks working on. ESPN is going to be talking about a resurrected Matt Leinart and getting way ahead of themselves on this story.

Will Matt play "dirty" against the kittens :kitten:

speedfreek
11-14-2011, 08:26 PM
3-3 is the best he can do..

he really isnt NFL caliber

TJ

speedfreek
11-14-2011, 08:34 PM
no hype left for this guy -- he's a washout..

TJ

Texans Pride
11-14-2011, 08:37 PM
wrong thread

HJam72
11-14-2011, 08:47 PM
My prediction for Leinart is that HE SUCKS!

Thank you kindly.

leebigeztx
11-14-2011, 08:49 PM

I guess they weren't happy with TJ Yates. U

This is me. I think everything has to be right to win a sb or even afc champ game with a guy like schaub. That's not a bad thing, but I would like to see what kubes could do with a talented guy. I mean, if he can make schaub top 8-13, imagine if he had a mobile,smart qb with a big arm?

When the competition gets tougher in the playoffs, the qb becomes even more important. A good qb won't win a sb. A limited talent guy won't win a sb.

Fili
11-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Yeah whenever you hear the Texans it's always about the players around Schuab (ex. Foster, Tate, 'Dre, Williams, Jacoby sometimes lol, and the TEs.) So panic mode is when Titans are 1/2 game behind or ahead of. :choke:

TexansBull
11-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Matt Schaub wasn't the most accurate this season. If memory serves, a lot of recievers were haveing to stretch and make the plays. Leinart doesnt have to an accurate passer with AJ, OD, Foster, Dreesen, etc. All the guy has to do is hand the ball off and not make rookie mistakes.

This guy is approachin his absolute last chance to make it - and I think he makes the most of it. Playoffs is certain. And a playoff win is 50%.

Mike Kerns
11-14-2011, 09:42 PM
I say Matty Light goes 4-2 over the final six. Losses to ATL and Cincy.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/312054_2637387777664_1344580544_2952024_1211653481 _n.jpg

Oh, and uh... 0-1 in the playoffs.

Texn4life
11-14-2011, 09:45 PM
My prediction for Leinart is that he'll be swimming knee deep in vagina after he leads us to the promise land!

DX-TEX
11-14-2011, 09:55 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d824209e3/article/leinart-named-texans-starter-for-injured-schaub-after-bye?module=HP11_headline_stack

I agree with this video!

80tothezone
11-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Kubiak held onto Orlovsky for two years. And this year it seems he's gonna be the first QB to see extensive playing time on two 0-16 teams. Color me sceptical.

if i remember correctly we drafted him Dano that is.... and thats what u do when you have a good QB u draft some QB's late and give em a couple of yrs to show u something .... he didn't so we got rid of him. We kept leinart so that says something.... I dunno all i know is i will be ****ting water until after we have 10 wins....

michaelm
11-14-2011, 10:07 PM
if i remember correctly we drafted him Dano that is.... and thats what u do when you have a good QB u draft some QB's late and give em a couple of yrs to show u something .... he didn't so we got rid of him. We kept leinart so that says something.... I dunno all i know is i will be ****ting water until after we have 10 wins....

Negative. We didn't draft Dano. He signed as a free agent from Detroit who led his team to 0-16 the year before.

ADTpaul
11-14-2011, 10:10 PM
I hope our offense doesn't miss a beat. Add Andre Johnson back and all Leinart needs to do is hand off the ball well. Lead this team to the playoffs and make something of this second chance!:kubepalm:

MistaRed
11-14-2011, 10:13 PM
The good thing about Matt coming in is he doesn't have to put up Brees/Brady/Rodgers type numbers. Keep using the run to set up the play action & bootlegs. As long as he makes the other team respect the pass we'll be fine.

speedfreek
11-14-2011, 10:16 PM
The problem with Leinart is that I don't recall him throwing the ball more than about 15 yards downfield over the last few years..

TJ

steelbtexan
11-14-2011, 10:17 PM
The Texans will go 3-3 or 4-2 and make the playoffs for the 1st time in Texans history.

BSofA04
11-14-2011, 10:22 PM
The Texans will go 3-3 or 4-2 and make the playoffs for the 1st time in Texans history.

3-3 is my prediction. Leinert will only need to manage the offense, not have to win games by himself.

DX-TEX
11-14-2011, 10:26 PM
<-------Damn the hot tubs! 12-4 !!

Norg
11-14-2011, 10:37 PM
I think he will do fine just ease him in slowly IMO this is a perfect time for a bye and each game loosen the leash slighty

all he needs to do is manage the game aganist the Jags

its the ATL game where he must play big IMO then move on to cincy and back to manage

TexansWest
11-14-2011, 11:34 PM
I haven't read all the post but here is the way I look at the situation. As many may have already said, Leinart just needs to manage the game, not try to win the game. Much in the way Trent Dilfer played for the Ravens SB year and much the way 49ers Alex Smith is doing now. If he does that, they'll be fine until hopefully Schaub returns. Even if he doesn't, all is not lost. I still believe they can be 11-5 with a possible 1st round bye.

srrono
11-15-2011, 12:05 AM
http://www.punjabigraphics.com/images/16/head-in-ass.jpg

JamesBill
11-15-2011, 12:14 AM
Schaub has been throwing bad balls anyways. This offense is a machine that isn't based on hard throws like GB or NO. I have no doubt he could hit a wide open Jacoby Jones. He is faster than Schaub on play action. He has a bigger arm to hit 'Dre deep.

He also has better numbers (and is better IMO) than Mark Sanchez. Might not b saying much but he has better comp%, Int%, and fumbles the ball less.

kiwitexansfan
11-15-2011, 12:14 AM
My new prediction is that Leinart plays well enough that someone will ask if we can get draft picks for him.

Texn4life
11-15-2011, 12:19 AM
Schaub has been throwing bad balls anyways. This offense is a machine that isn't based on hard throws like GB or NO. I have no doubt he could hit a wide open Jacoby Jones. He is faster than Schaub on play action. He has a bigger arm to hit 'Dre deep.

He also has better numbers (and is better IMO) than Mark Sanchez. Might not b saying much but he has better comp%, Int%, and fumbles the ball less.

You must be in my head because I just got through telling a friend the same thing. The question is gonna be how well he knows this offense. Skill set wise though we're not going to be missing much. Leinart just needs to prove that he feels comfortable pushing the ball down the field. People say he checked down a lot during the preseason but look who he was throwing to! Who did you want him to throw the ball down the field to? Dickerson?

PHAROAH
11-15-2011, 12:59 AM
I think that Matt Leinart will be ok just don't over do it ease into the offense and he will do fine he has started 30 NFL Games with a 15-15 record so if he has stopped partying like a rock star and studying film he might be able to salvage a once promising career as a former top 10 NFL Draft Pick. This TJ Yates mess is killing me he was a sub-par QB at UNC he is nothing more than a backup who might not be on the team next year and I think we need to sign a veteran just in case Leinart goes down lets bring in Daunte Culpepper for a workout.

thunderkyss
11-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Matt Lienart vs Matt Schaub.... what's the real difference?

Why was Lienart a 1st round pick & Schaub a 3rd?

Why did Lienart come in the league as a starter & Schaub a back-up?

silentassassin
11-15-2011, 08:54 AM
Matt Lienart vs Matt Schaub.... what's the real difference?

Why was Lienart a 1st round pick & Schaub a 3rd?

Why did Lienart come in the league as a starter & Schaub a back-up?

Even if it is no indicator for NFL success, Leinart probably got more exposure because of his heisman season and then the other season going 3rd place in heisman voting.

Schaub was also in a draft with Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger and Losman who were all drafted before him.

Their skillset is virtually the same though, right?

HJam72
11-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Even if it is no indicator for NFL success, Leinart probably got more exposure because of his heisman season and then the other season going 3rd place in heisman voting.

Schaub was also in a draft with Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger and Losman who were all drafted before him.

Their skillset is virtually the same though, right?

Seems to be. We'll see. :kitten:

El Tejano
11-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Matt will get us to the playoffs, take a picture with a porn star who has his jersey tied around both of her wrists and he will send out a public announcement that he's not apologizing at all.

BigBull17
11-15-2011, 09:16 AM
The possible silver lining here is the opposition does not have much film on Leinart. Kubiak will do everything he can to get him comfortable.

If Leinart has matured at all and is willing to put in the work (as in his butt better be at Reliant as I type this), he might work out fine. Heck, he may surprise a few folks.

And it happened on the bye. Gives two weeks to get ready.

GP
11-15-2011, 09:31 AM
I think Leinart throws a nicer ball than Schaub.

Did you see the end-over-end pass to Jacoby that scored an 80-yard TD on the first play? It looked like an end-over-end punt, which I guess is why Jacoby was able to catch it. LOL.

I expect him to be a manager, a Trent Dilfer type of guy that isn't great...he's just patient and takes what he can get and lets the defense and run game to do the rest.

It would be smart to have a LOT of 3-step drops for Leinart, get him into a rhythm as we also integrate the running game. Quick slant, BOOM. 5-yard curl route, BOOM. Quick out, BOOM. RB swing pass, BOOM. Then ease him into the more difficult routes. People might think this is babying him too much, but we've got two weeks off and he didn't throw a single pass vs. Tampa Bay the whole time he was in there...so he's going to have two weeks of no "live bullets" training like you have in a real game. Could be easy for him to get rattled early on vs. Jags if Kubiak has him doing the more complicated timing routes right out of the gate.

They don't need to make him try too hard with 5-step drops and lots of progressions or reads early on. Have a main target on each play...with a safety valve if that main target is not open enough for him.

Now is not the time for Kubiak to try and impress the world with his QB coaching skills, as in "Look how awesome I make QBs. See? I can put any QB in there and have the same success." I am trusting that Kubiak has enough self-control in this area, now, to know that this season is not worth trying to get cute--Hence the signature pic and why it's still up.

Until I see that he values good old-fashioned CONVENTIONAL wisdom rather than trying to be a wizard of offense with his system, my sig image remains. The only guys who can screw up this season is Gary Kubiak if he gets a wild hair up his ass and tries to force Leinart into the Matt Schaub role to quickly.

In the end, this will come down to whether Kubiak wants to try and land this plane that has only one engine left...or if he tries to do barrel rolls and loopty-loops to impress the ladies. All bets are off, IMO, because out of all the weirdness we've seen so far this season...Gary Kubiak has to be the wild card that could make or break the season. If you find that offensive or absurd, then you haven't watched much Texans football the past five years.

HOU-TEX
11-15-2011, 09:34 AM
I went home last night and watched a pre-season recording I still have dvr'd. I'm not sure he'll do the same thing now, but it seemed to me that Leinart checked down a lot. Which is fine if it's all the defense is giving, but dang, it seemed much more noticeable with him than Schaub.

Anyone else remember this during the pre-season?

Anywho, I think Leinart will be ok. I reckon he'll be a bit jittery at the get go, so let's hope the fellas can pick him up.

11-15-2011, 09:39 AM
anybody here who's saying schaub has a weaker arm clearly hasn't seen leinart throw. that being said, i'm glad we have an awesome running game / defense so all we need for him is to manage the games. i really hope schaub can be back for the postseason...

b0ng
11-15-2011, 09:41 AM
I don't like anything that Leinart has shown since he has entered the NFL, but for better (not likely) or worse (likely) he's the guy taking the snaps.

El Tejano
11-15-2011, 09:41 AM

Until I see that he values good old-fashioned CONVENTIONAL wisdom rather than trying to be a wizard of offense with his system, my sig image remains. The only guys who can screw up this season is Gary Kubiak if he gets a wild hair up his ass and tries to force Leinart into the Matt Schaub role to quickly.

In the end, this will come down to whether Kubiak wants to try and land this plane that has only one engine left...or if he tries to do barrel rolls and loopty-loops to impress the ladies. All bets are off, IMO, because out of all the weirdness we've seen so far this season...Gary Kubiak has to be the wild card that could make or break the season. If you find that offensive or absurd, then you haven't watched much Texans football the past five years.

I agree with your whole post. Just didn't quote it all because I'm hoping everyone already read the great post you put up.

Kubiak just needs to remember that we won 7 games by playing great defense and using our awesome running game. Everyone in the league is talking about how this is a passing league now but look at some of the top teams in the league like San Fransisco. They are winning by playing great defense and running the ball. We can do this.

TEXANJAK
11-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Extra motivation for the defense to step up more. As long as Matt L. is prepared and throws the ball away when there's nothing there we will be fine with the schedule we have left. It's his time to shine, Good luck Matt Leinart.
[INDENT] Having Dre back will help also.

thunderkyss
11-15-2011, 09:44 AM

How is it possible that you aren't an NFL coach already?

TheCD
11-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Quick slant, BOOM. 5-yard curl route, BOOM. Quick out, BOOM. RB swing pass, BOOM.

John Madden, is that you?

I went home last night and watched a pre-season recording I still have dvr'd. I'm not sure he'll do the same thing now, but it seemed to me that Leinart checked down a lot. Which is fine if it's all the defense is giving, but dang, it seemed much more noticeable with him than Schaub.

If Leinart checks down a lot and it still keeps us getting first downs we'll be fine. I think the main emphasis Kubiak needs is to ensure Owen and Joel get lots of opportunities for catches. Luckily, we have some really good TEs who will make Matt's life a little easier. Does anyone know if he ever had a top-tier TE in Arizona, I can't recall. But, the running game + the TEs + Andre should equal success against the teams that are definitely worse than us, and should at a bare minimum keep us in games against tough competition.

The only thing that worries me now is that I don't think there's any way we can win a shootout (e.g. Saints/Packers/Patriots/Bills).

thunderkyss
11-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Kubiak just needs to remember that we won 7 games by playing great defense and using our awesome running game. Everyone in the league is talking about how this is a passing league now but look at some of the top teams in the league like San Fransisco. They are winning by playing great defense and running the ball. We can do this.

At Reliant, Schaub converted many a third downs against the Jags. Arian had to carry the ball 30 times to break 100 yards.

We're going to be playing them in Jacksonville.

The Jags still have the best defense that we will face & Cincinnati is right behind them.

Lienart is going to have to throw the ball for us to win in Jacksonville.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/files/2011/11/leinart.solomon.cropped-306x204.jpg

speedfreek
11-15-2011, 09:53 AM
I've never seen Leinart successfully throw a deep ball as a Texans QB. So, someone find me an example on youtube if there is one..

TJ

Texan4Ever
11-15-2011, 10:53 AM
We don't (or at least I don't) need Matt Leinart to throw 3 TDs a game and pass for 350+ yards. As long as he can manage the game and the clock and spread the ball around we can keep on winning.

HOU-TEX
11-15-2011, 11:02 AM
I wonder if the team really will "rally around" Leinart like they say they will. Or are they really thinking "we're screwed" in the back of their minds? Will they still play like they have been?

El Tejano
11-15-2011, 11:09 AM
I wonder if the team really will "rally around" Leinart like they say they will. Or are they really thinking "we're screwed" in the back of their minds? Will they still play like they have been?

Well that's where I believe Wade is going to make the biggest impact on our team this year. I'm sure he will rally the troops on Defense and have them believing that we will go to the playoffs on their shoulders.

PsychoLove
11-15-2011, 11:12 AM
7 beers and 4 chicks in the hot tub good!

Actually, he will do fine until you get Garrard.

Buffi2
11-15-2011, 11:21 AM
I think the team will rally. They have come too far to give up now and they have too much faith in themselves as a team.

Wade has been a huge help and not just on defense. His swagger, his confidence has been just what the Texans needed. Even Kubiak has been less uptight since Wade came on board. Wade's influence just might be what saves us this season, gets us into the playoffs and maybe even win a game. I don't think the SB is a possibility now but one playoff game is possible depending upon how fast Leinart meshes with his new position.

HJam72
11-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Speaking of rallying, we forgot.........Cushing offered to play QB. :)

srrono
11-15-2011, 11:29 AM
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/9741/is-matt-leinart-better-than-you-think

I didn't want to start this blog post with the phrase, "Houston, we have a problem." But the Texans are facing a serious crisis -- starting quarterback Matt Schaub is out for the season with a Lisfranc injury. Replacing him as the starter is habitual hot-tubber and colossal draft bust Matt Leinart, who quietly signed and then re-signed with the Texans last year after being cut by the Arizona Cardinals in training camp.

So, they're doomed, right? Well, hold on. The narrative surrounding Leinart's flop coming out of USC has holes you can drive a truck through. And we’re behind the wheel.

When Leinart was selected out of USC by the Cardinals with the 10th pick of the 2006 NFL Draft, there were plenty of reasons to think that he would succeed as a pro quarterback. The Lewin Career Forecast saw a quarterback who started 39 games in college while completing about 65 percent of his passes and projected him to be a star. While the Forecast has struggled in applying with smaller quarterbacks who played in spread offenses at school (like Brian Brohm and Kevin Kolb, so apparently, also quarterbacks with alliterative names), Leinart was a tall quarterback coming off of a three-year stretch as the starter in a pro-style offense. There are no "can't miss" prospects, but Leinart seemed awful close to being one.

The Cardinals drafted Leinart to be their quarterback of the future, despite having a 34-year-old Kurt Warner on the roster. Warner, who had played well for the 2004 Giants before being removed from the lineup for a rookie Eli Manning, had to beat out Josh McCown for the Cardinals job during the 2005 season. In 2006, head coach and famed talent evaluator Dennis Green benched Warner after the Cardinals' fourth game of the season, throwing Leinart into the fire after just four games. You will probably remember his second start: It was the now-famous "They are who we thought they were!" Monday Night Football game against the undefeated Bears, when Leinart helped push Arizona into a 23-3 lead before the Bears returned two fumbles for touchdowns and got a Devin Hester punt return for a touchdown to seal an incredible 24-23 comeback.

Leinart finished the year with respectable numbers for a rookie, completing 56.8 percent of his passes and throwing 11 touchdowns against 12 interceptions in 11 starts. After the year, the team fired Green and named Ken Whisenhunt as its coach. Leinart started the 2007 season as the team's starting quarterback with shaky numbers -- 60-of-112 for 647 yards with two touchdowns and four picks -- and Whisenhunt temporarily benched him for Warner. The situation resolved itself when Leinart broke his collarbone and missed the remainder of the season. In his stead, Warner was unsurprisingly brilliant, completing 62.3 percent of his passes and averaging 7.6 yards per attempt.

In 2008, the situation came to a head in training camp. When faced with a decision between a Hall of Fame quarterback and a developing young one, Whisenhunt made the only wise decision he's ever made with quarterbacks: He chose the Hall of Famer. Warner promptly had an MVP-caliber year and led the Cardinals to the Super Bowl, which left the team with no debate heading into the 2009 season. Over the two-year stretch, Leinart threw 106 passes and completed 62.3 percent of them, but did throw four picks. Then again, that's also a small sample; plenty of quarterbacks throw four picks over 106 passes and are otherwise great. The statistics, for better or worse, mean nothing over that stretch.

When Warner retired after the 2009 season, Leinart was seen as the starter-in-waiting. The team brought in former Browns colossus Derek Anderson to compete, even as Anderson was coming off of a season in which he completed just 44.5 percent of his passes and threw an interception every 18 passes. Over his four-year career in Cleveland, he had completed 52.9 percent of his passes and thrown 46 touchdowns against 45 picks. In other words, Anderson was about as mediocre as Leinart was during his rookie season.

Despite all that, Whisenhunt preferred Anderson, and cut the former first-round pick. Anderson was arguably the worst opening day starter in football, and the team bounced between him and rookies Max Hall and John Navarre throughout the season. Each rated among the worst quarterbacks in football. The following year, Whisenhunt traded for Kevin Kolb. Kolb was, not coincidentally, one of the worst quarterbacks in football this season before suffering an injury. Whisenhunt is the primary reason why Matt Leinart is considered a bust, and over the course of his career as Cardinals coach, Whisenhunt has shown virtually no ability to pick the right starting quarterback for his team.

It's wrong to say that Leinart was a bust, but he is unproven. He's basically been stagnant for the past five years, if he hasn't regressed from a lack of confidence and regular playing time. But even if Leinart is a below-average quarterback at the NFL level, how bad can he really be? Leinart will be in an offense with arguably the league's best rushing attack, a dominant offensive line, and he'll have Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels to throw to. Over the next six weeks, he gets to face two tough pass defenses (Jacksonville and Tennessee), but he'll also get the very friendly secondaries of Atlanta, Carolina, and Indianapolis, and he'll play a Cincinnati team that just lost star cornerback Leon Hall for the season. Even if Leinart isn't very good, his schedule and the players around him are going to make him look like he is.

The reality, Leinart will probably be a much better player than his narrative suggests. The bust label implies Leinart was fairly evaluated by a competent coaching staff. That doesn't appear to be the case. Leinart might not be Schaub, and he might not ever end up becoming the player that everyone expected him to be coming out of USC, but he can be a viable starting quarterback on a playoff team.

kiwitexansfan
11-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Two words: Tim Tebow

If the Broncos can win with the run game and defense, no reason at all we can't.

Big Lou
11-15-2011, 11:37 AM
I say he gets it done. the running game is strong, he's used to a QB moving out of the pocket.

I say we go 11-5, maybe 12-4 if AJ comes back close to 100% and the Football Gods smile upon us.

I even see a possible deep playoff run. Now with Schaub out its going to come down to who we play in the playoffs and how we match up to thier strengths.

Who knows maybe Kubiak is the QB Whisperer. Although Sage had his momonents Sage would get this team deep in to the playoffs, so if Matt2 is around that caliber this could be fun year.

bckey
11-15-2011, 11:42 AM
The backup QB has one job. Hiding the gaping hole left by the starting QB going down.

If you found your backup QB in some other teams scrap pile then you might be paying for this injury with your job....

Now thats funny. LMAO!

Hervoyel
11-15-2011, 12:00 PM

Anywho, I think Leinart will be ok. I reckon he'll be a bit jittery at the get go, so let's hope the fellas can pick him up.

I really think that had more to do with playing behind a mixed line of backups who can't pass protect worth a darn and throwing to a bunch of guys who couldn't get open and who by and large aren't in the league right now.

Preseason is so distorted it's hard to get a read on what guys are doing. Unless the player just crumbles like Trindon Holliday did his rookie year it's hard to tell who's shining and who sucks.

Double Barrel
11-15-2011, 12:09 PM

The Big Show this morning had an Arizona reporter that used to co-host a local radio show with Leinart.

It was a very interesting interview, and the guy really shed some light on Leinart's early years.

Denny Green was the HC, and that team was in complete disarray. Figure where Leinart was drafted, so it's obvious they were not a good team. We can't hold that against Leinart's career.

He said early on Leinart took things for granted, but as he matured behind Kurt Warner, he started showing some very solid work habits, very deep into film study, and became a student of the NFL game.

His only real knock on Leinart was checking down receivers, so your post is actually a positive. It is most likely something that Kubiak has been working on. There is a reason that Kubiak likes him, as well as a reason why Leinart refused to even entertain offers from other teams. Dude wants to be a Houston Texan.

I think this team has a lot of heart. We've lost some big names, but like a shark's mouth, lose a tooth and the next one takes it's place. I would be shocked if this team did not rally behind Leinart. And as cynical as I am, I still feel good about the rest of the season.

This team will win this division and make it's first trip to the playoffs. I felt that way before Schaub going down, and I feel it today. Regardless of how a playoff game turns out, I'd consider this season a success when they earn that division title.

eriadoc
11-15-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm hoping that Matt Leinart + AJ > this year's subpar Schaub - AJ.

Oh, and the first play vs. the Jags is going to be a play-action boot bomb for a TD.

HOU-TEX
11-15-2011, 01:37 PM
The Big Show this morning had an Arizona reporter that used to co-host a local radio show with Leinart.

It was a very interesting interview, and the guy really shed some light on Leinart's early years.

Denny Green was the HC, and that team was in complete disarray. Figure where Leinart was drafted, so it's obvious they were not a good team. We can't hold that against Leinart's career.

He said early on Leinart took things for granted, but as he matured behind Kurt Warner, he started showing some very solid work habits, very deep into film study, and became a student of the NFL game.

His only real knock on Leinart was checking down receivers, so your post is actually a positive. It is most likely something that Kubiak has been working on. There is a reason that Kubiak likes him, as well as a reason why Leinart refused to even entertain offers from other teams. Dude wants to be a Houston Texan.

I think this team has a lot of heart. We've lost some big names, but like a shark's mouth, lose a tooth and the next one takes it's place. I would be shocked if this team did not rally behind Leinart. And as cynical as I am, I still feel good about the rest of the season.

This team will win this division and make it's first trip to the playoffs. I felt that way before Schaub going down, and I feel it today. Regardless of how a playoff game turns out, I'd consider this season a success when they earn that division title.

Thanks, man. I'm feeling much better about this situation as it sinks in.

I'd feel much better if the Falcons wipe their collective ass with the titans this Sunday.

Double Barrel
11-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks, man. I'm feeling much better about this situation as it sinks in.

I'd feel much better if the Falcons wipe their collective ass with the titans this Sunday.

Yeah, I was shocked with the news yesterday.

But the more I thought about it and the way that this team is built - strong defense & running game - and the heart they collectively show as a team, the more I started thinking that this division is still ours to take. Our only real rival is the Titans, and they are mediocre at best with the Saints, Texans, and Falcons still to play.

I won't speculate about playoffs until they earn the spot and we see Lienart in action. However, we still have the strengths of traditionally strong playoff teams with the defense and running game. Leinart will just need to minimize mistakes. If Dilfer can win a Super Bowl with a great D and running game, I do not see a reason to jump off the cliff because of Leinart.

GlassHalfFull
11-15-2011, 02:02 PM
I've decided the bye week is good timing for the team, but terrible timing for the fanbase.

We are going to go nuts with the extra week to angst about how Leinart is going to work out.

HOU-TEX
11-15-2011, 02:12 PM
I've decided the bye week is good timing for the team, but terrible timing for the fanbase.

We are going to go nuts with the extra week to angst about how Leinart is going to work out.

True....but you can't say it won't be good for message boards. :gun:

fiasco west
11-15-2011, 02:14 PM
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/9741/is-matt-leinart-better-than-you-think

[snip]

Pretty much what i've been saying. Rep your way for the hope inducing article.

Wisenhunt has made terrible decisions on his QB position while Kubes has always made sound decisions (although the whole HWSNBN was probably him trying to get a job) and I think if Kubes thinks so much of Leinart that says all I need to hear.

I don't think Leinart is so bad that he's going to make everyone around him worse. I can also buy into the whole theory that he came into the NFL expecting results and has since been humbled and has now worked his tail off and is just waiting for his next opportunity.

I completely buy into the theory that Leinart is unproven. He's pretty much had one year under Green his rookie year and he did not play horrible and had a respectable year for a rookie QB.

In the prediction thread I still expect this team to go 12-4 and I think I expected that WITH Schaub in so I'm not expecting a huge drop off.

Texan_Bill
11-15-2011, 02:20 PM
If Leinart goes for like 10-15 for a buck and a half, with a couple of those shots being down the field, I'd be fine. That would or should be enough to keep the defense honest.

HOU-TEX
11-15-2011, 02:29 PM
If Leinart goes for like 10-15 for a buck and a half, with a couple of those shots being down the field, I'd be fine. That would or should be enough to keep the defense honest.

Me too....as long as there was a W involved. :thumbup

TheMatrix31
11-15-2011, 02:32 PM
I hope we utilize more screens and dumpoffs to Tate and Foster. I've called for this with Schaub and we've used the RBs more like short recivers. It's worked pretty well, but let's ramp it up. Use Andre and other WRs on slants, use TEs for security blankets.

Don't change much, but adjust to get Leinart as comfortable as possible. If we have to dink and dunk our way, I hate it but thats what we gotta do.

The1ApplePie
11-15-2011, 02:35 PM
I hope we utilize more screens and dumpoffs to Tate and Foster. I've called for this with Schaub and we've used the RBs more like short recivers. It's worked pretty well, but let's ramp it up. Use Andre and other WRs on slants, use TEs for security blankets.

Don't change much, but adjust to get Leinart as comfortable as possible. If we have to dink and dunk our way, I hate it but thats what we gotta do.

Schaub did this all year anyways. Without AJ it was pretty much up to him to just manage the game.

Like I said before, I don't think there will be that big of a drop off. Matt Cassell stumbled into a similar situation and did fine.

GP
11-15-2011, 03:07 PM
I agree with your whole post. Just didn't quote it all because I'm hoping everyone already read the great post you put up.

Thanks, El Tejano. Of course, now you're "crazy" for agreeing with me. Poor guy. I'm sorry your reputation is at stake now.

How is it possible that you aren't an NFL coach already?

I'll just use your own "NFL analysis skills" against you. You said, IIRC, Steve Slaton was running better in the camp and preseason of THIS year than he did his ONLY good year back in 2008. Right? And I see where you recently listed Andy Dalton as someone we could have done worse with instead of Leinart. Correct?

I think all that "good stuff" you thought I'm smokin' is sitting right by your armchair at home...the smoke clinging to the air and hovering there constantly.

I think it's fair to say that Schaub throws a lot of wonky passes with not very much spin on them. When you look at Andy Dalton's mechanics, it's 10 times better than Schaub's mechanics. The spin Dalton puts on a ball, consistently, and the trajectory he puts on the pass, combined with his cannon of an arm, is what's got the Bengals where they are right now. The kid can ball. Period.

But you think he's worse than Leinart. LOL. :tiphat:

michaelm
11-15-2011, 03:48 PM

I understand that line of thinking, and don't disagree for the most part, but we have to take some shots down field. If defenses start to realize that our entire offensive plan takes place with 10-15 yards from the line of scrimmage, then the playing field becomes compressed much like it is in the red zone.
Flat out, there has to be a decent mix of five step drops and throws over the top to keep the short area loose.

GlassHalfFull
11-15-2011, 03:54 PM
True....but you can't say it won't be good for message boards. :gun:

that pretty much depends on your definition of the word "good" :pissed:

TexansWest
11-15-2011, 04:04 PM

Great job!! Exactly what I was thinking. Rep your way!!

HOU-TEX
11-15-2011, 04:05 PM
that pretty much depends on your definition of the word "good" :pissed:

Touche', again

thunderkyss
11-15-2011, 04:16 PM

I think Andre watch is more important right now. No sense worrying about Lienart, he's going to start a week from Sunday @Jaxonville

He gone do what he gone do.

We've got Tate, Foster, OD, a damn good OLine & Defense. A healthy Andre would be really, really nice.

Rey
11-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Play design will get guys open down field just as it has in the past.

michaelm
11-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Play design will get guys open down field just as it has in the past.

QFT.
This offense is the best in the league at getting guys open, IMO.
There will be open looks for Leinart. All he has to do is resist the temptation to win the game all by himself.
And believe me, coming from where he's been, the temptation will be fierce.

thunderkyss
11-15-2011, 04:36 PM
I'll just use your own "NFL analysis skills" against you. You said, IIRC, Steve Slaton was running better in the camp and preseason of THIS year than he did his ONLY good year back in 2008. Right? And I see where you recently listed Andy Dalton as someone we could have done worse with instead of Leinart. Correct?

I stand by what I said about Stevie Slaton. His problem is his vision. He's dropped weight, & regained that burst we saw back in 2008. If he could've read the blocks like Tate, Ward, & Foster has, he would have been dangerous.

2008, he made some damn good, lucky runs. But nothing you could ever expect him to repeat. & he hasn't.

I'd like for you to show me where I said that about Dalton & Lienart. What I said, was that Lienart may be the best QB in every game we play from here out. Yes, that includes Dalton, Cam, & Hasselbeck.

Bold statement, I know. We'll just have to wait & see how it plays out. Matt has had more experience than Dalton & Cam, not nearly the success. He's younger than Hasselbeck, fresher, again, not nearly the success..... yet.

But we'll see.

I think all that "good stuff" you thought I'm smokin' is sitting right by your armchair at home...the smoke clinging to the air and hovering there constantly.

Seriously, go back & read your post, you've already planned out the next three games, talked yourself through several permutations of alternate realities..... it's like you're clairvoyant.

GuerillaBlack
11-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Leinart going to take it back to his USC days. Trust.

michaelm
11-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Leinart going to take it back to his USC days. Trust.

So, you're saying someone is losing their Heisman?

drs23
11-15-2011, 06:52 PM
3-3 is the best he can do..

he really isnt NFL caliber

TJ

no hype left for this guy -- he's a washout..

TJ

Can you say 'Buzz Kill'?

Give the guy a chance. He's been in this offense two years now working with an acknowleged QB guru. Sad... Give the guy a chance maybe or just be Negative Nelly Boy.

I'm going to be positive and say he's capable of doing what he's here for. Sure he's not Matt Schaub but I think he's the 'next man up' and will do as others at other postitions have done.

Chill...

GP
11-15-2011, 07:17 PM
I stand by what I said about Stevie Slaton. His problem is his vision. He's dropped weight, & regained that burst we saw back in 2008. If he could've read the blocks like Tate, Ward, & Foster has, he would have been dangerous.

2008, he made some damn good, lucky runs. But nothing you could ever expect him to repeat. & he hasn't. Load of manure. I need waders to step through this explanation of what you said. It was so bizarre, so off-the-wall that it's seared into my memory forever. You cannot sit there and make statements that Steve Slaton was running better NOW than he did in 2008. His best year, all around, was 2008. He wanted to show he was NFL starter quality and he did. Then he started slipping (mentally), fumbling, got the neck injury, fumbled even more because of the injury, and then he got replaced and knew he was done here. Yet you think he was better NOW than when he was tearing it up in 2008. Keep choppin' wood, hoss.

I'd like for you to show me where I said that about Dalton & Lienart. What I said, was that Lienart may be the best QB in every game we play from here out. Yes, that includes Dalton, Cam, & Hasselbeck. OK, just so that we are 100% on what YOU said...you are SAYING, if I read you correctly, that Leinart MIGHT be better than Dalton, Cam, and Hasselbeck? Is that what you are saying? If so, I call QUADRUPLE horse manure. This is, yet again, another in a troubling series of events where you try to flip conventional wisdom on its head and act like you've got some special "vision" as to how a guy like Steve Slaton is better now than in 2008 (we just can't see it for ourselves, I suppose THAT is the problem! LOL) and a guy like Leinart is better than Andy Dalton (using the strongest of the three QBs examples you gave). Yet you accuse me of smoking wacky weed? LOL.

Bold statement, I know. We'll just have to wait & see how it plays out. Matt has had more experience than Dalton & Cam, not nearly the success. He's younger than Hasselbeck, fresher, again, not nearly the success..... yet.

But we'll see.

Seriously, go back & read your post, you've already planned out the next three games, talked yourself through several permutations of alternate realities..... it's like you're clairvoyant. Seriously, if we're truly gonna' be serious as you claim we need to be, the thread is about my expectations of Matt Leinart and I listed those. I did not, as you are dreaming up, go on to say how each of the next three games will play out. I merely said "This is what we should have Leinart do in order to have a decent chance...we should do x, y, and z...etc. etc." See, I was participating in the actual thread discussion rather than being a horse's ass (like you ARE) and trying to inject troll'ish attacks that gain you attention and do not contribute to the thread topic. See what you've done? You're making this about YOU and about your commentary on people such as me, rather than coming up with ways to just have plain, old-fashioned discussion about the topic at hand.

I can see why others have a hard time discussion things with you. You are very adept at distracting people from the real discussion and you branch it out and make people follow your rabbit trails.

My replies are in red, above, and it required no effort at all to refute what you're claiming and show that you're wasting a bunch of time. Mine AND yours. And anybody having to read this drivel.

TexansFanatic
11-15-2011, 07:31 PM

Holy crap, that's funny!

thunderkyss
11-15-2011, 08:30 PM
And anybody having to read this drivel.

Mine, or yours?

80tothezone
11-16-2011, 01:55 AM
i think he has a big game to start. Our run game is too good our D are sixteen kindsa deep steel blue ass wooping in a can, and he has do well or it's "Welcome to footlocker" for him.

ObsiWan
11-16-2011, 02:23 AM

Did you see the end-over-end pass to Jacoby that scored an 80-yard TD on the first play? It looked like an end-over-end punt, which I guess is why Jacoby was able to catch it. LOL.

I expect him to be a manager, a Trent Dilfer type of guy that isn't great...he's just patient and takes what he can get and lets the defense and run game to do the rest.

It would be smart to have a LOT of 3-step drops for Leinart, get him into a rhythm as we also integrate the running game. Quick slant, BOOM. 5-yard curl route, BOOM. Quick out, BOOM. RB swing pass, BOOM. Then ease him into the more difficult routes. People might think this is babying him too much, but we've got two weeks off and he didn't throw a single pass vs. Tampa Bay the whole time he was in there...so he's going to have two weeks of no "live bullets" training like you have in a real game. Could be easy for him to get rattled early on vs. Jags if Kubiak has him doing the more complicated timing routes right out of the gate.

They don't need to make him try too hard with 5-step drops and lots of progressions or reads early on. Have a main target on each play...with a safety valve if that main target is not open enough for him.

Now is not the time for Kubiak to try and impress the world with his QB coaching skills, as in "Look how awesome I make QBs. See? I can put any QB in there and have the same success." I am trusting that Kubiak has enough self-control in this area, now, to know that this season is not worth trying to get cute--Hence the signature pic and why it's still up.

I can see why others have a hard time discussion things with you. You are very adept at distracting people from the real discussion and you branch it out and make people follow your rabbit trails.

Strange that you would accuse TK of "distracting people from the real discussion" right after you go on a tirade about Kubiak in the middle of a "Predictions for Leinhart" thread.

You started out just fine. In fact, I'm with you on the ML throws a better ball than MS observation. From what I remember of the last pre-season game, Matt L played fairly well, it's just that every time we got something going, there was a penalty or a dropped pass or something weird to stall the drive.
But then your Kubiak hatred made you go off the rails..... Two mentions of Leinhart by name vs. FIVE mentions of Kubiak by name...

"Anyone but Kubiak 2012"? Really? How about Jim Caldwell? He'll probably be looking for work in 2012... well you did say "anyone"
:D

ObsiWan
11-16-2011, 02:37 AM
Anywho, let me get back to Leinhart....

I base my confidence in Leinhart on the only significant data we have this year: the final preseason game where only the 2nd and 3rd stringers played. I use ONLY this year's performance because of the play of universally proclaimed "bust" Alex Smith has shown me that past history sometime means diddly. Some folks just "bloom" later than others.

Anyway, Leinhart only played the 1st half (Yates played the second) but, as it says below, still racked up 143 yds passing. He led them on a nifty drive with 2:06 left in the half, from our 24 to their 24, only to have Rackers doink the easy FG. He even made Trindon Holliday look like a receiver.

From the AP game recap of preseason game 4:
Matt Leinart (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/9596/matt-leinart) was 13 for 16 for 145 yards for the Texans, looking efficient as he prepares to back up Matt Schaub (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5615/matt-schaub) this season. Newly signed receiver Bryant Johnson (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/4475/bryant-johnson) had three catches for 64 yards.

(Christian) Ponder was a little ragged, especially on his throws from in the pocket. But the rookie made plays when he had to, eluding the Texans' rush, blitzing linebacker Tim Dobbins (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/9737/tim-dobbins) in particular, time and again to pick up big chunks on the ground.

In contrast there was Leinart, the six-year veteran who has never fulfilled the promise he had as a Heisman Trophy winner at USC. Despite his uneven play throughout his pro career, he looked much more polished and at ease in the pocket, hitting big plays down the field to Graham and Johnson, who just signed on Monday to try to bolster depth behind Andre Johnson (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/4461/andre-johnson), Kevin Walter (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/4713/kevin-walter) and Jacoby Jones (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/10517/jacoby-jones).

"I was very impressed with Matt Leinart," Kubiak said. "I thought Matt Leinart played very good and that was important."

But the Texans' drives were all derailed by penalties and Neil Rackers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/2300/neil-rackers)' 42-yard field goal attempt hit off the left upright just before halftime.

Dennison/Kubiak call plays. It's up to the players - including whoever lines up at QB - to execute them. It's totally up to Leinhart to make the right reads and then execute a good throw to make any given play successful. No one on the sideline has an X-box controller forcing Leinhart to throw the ball where he shouldn't. If Leinhart screws the pooch or makes wrong reads, that's on him. But based on the last time we saw Matt L. lead the offense - granted it was 2nd teamers vs. 2nd teamers - I believe he'll do just fine.

I just hope the team gets used to Leinhart's cadence/signal-calling rhythm during one week of practice. Last thing we need is a bunch of false starts because they're used to hearing Schaub and not Leinhart. A minor thing, I know, but I worry about the details.

HJam72
11-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Little yellow flags turn minor things into major ones.

Vinny
11-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Matt Leinart will invent the flying car

silentassassin
11-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Can you say 'Buzz Kill'?

Give the guy a chance. He's been in this offense two years now working with an acknowleged QB guru. Sad... Give the guy a chance maybe or just be Negative Nelly Boy.

I'm going to be positive and say he's capable of doing what he's here for. Sure he's not Matt Schaub but I think he's the 'next man up' and will do as others at other postitions have done.

Chill...

Never seen a positive or even neutral post from them(from my time here), but to each their own.

HOU-TEX
11-16-2011, 01:09 PM

Sweet!

HJam72
11-16-2011, 01:10 PM

....with a hot-tub! :scarygirl:

HOU-TEX
11-16-2011, 01:12 PM
....with a hot-tub! :scarygirl:

And bewbs

Thorn
11-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Chuck Norris tried to kick Leinart out of his hot tub, but Leinart strangled him with a cheerleader bra.