PDA

View Full Version : Schaub injured (update)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Wolf
11-14-2011, 06:18 PM
I have a lot more confidence in Matt than if Dan O was still here

thunderkyss
I'm not happy about this because Schaub has proven to be a damn good good top 10 QB. However, I have confidence in Leinart in this offense and I don't see this as the end of the world. His skill set is very similar to Leinart's skill set and if he can make good decisions and make accurate throws which he has always been as a passer than we should be alright and still be pretty competitive. That's a big "IF" though.

So.... you're saying Lienart will struggle, but we'll win the Jags game anyway.. then lose to Atlanta @ home... then win the next 4 to secure home field throughout?

I can go with that.

:koolaid:

It's yet to be seen, but Lienart can possibly the best QB on the field for the remaining 6 games of our season.

Thanks Tex for bringing me down to Earth.

Thorn
Obviously, I certainly hope Kubiak is right in keeping Leinart. It's going to be a much longer two week than previously anticipated.

Leinart has his problems, that's for sure. But he's still better than a QB off the street and our 5th round pick, who ever that was. We can still win the division, I'm OK with that. But I don't look for us to last very long in the playoffs once we get there.

Hopefully Hot Tub Boy get's his shit togeather and starts winning.

Texecutioner
11-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Time to see how bad Leinart wants an NFL career.

The league is QB hungry right now, loads of teams in need of an upgrade around so if Leinart can show that he's improved in his time sitting then he has the chance to get a starting job somewhere.

For Texecutioner, I was one of those who had stated that the time for the Texans to look to draft their future starting QB is coming, Schaub has his limitations and while he's good there is the opportunity to upgrade at some stage. The Texans may well have the luxury of spending mid-round picks on developmental QB projects within the next few years, so why the hell wouldn't they start looking? How many teams draft their franchise QB at the first attempt? How many teams wait years behind the likes of Alex Smith while other teams like the Packers or the Pats have maintained success because despite having great QB's they've been grooming the next man up well in advance, I mean, if you can get rid of future HOF Brett Farve and end up with Superbowl rings then you can damn sure try grooming someone behind Matt Schaub.

Don't confuse that with a belief that getting rid of Matt Schaub should be the Texans' top priority right now. Although I'm pleased that on learning this terrible news that could put paid to YOUR teams best shot yet at winning it all, you have found time to point score. Well done Sir.

I think Schaub's done a pretty damn good job with this team over the years and couldn't understand at all at why folks wanted a multiple season 4,000 yard passer sent packing.

CloakNNNdagger
11-14-2011, 06:20 PM
This is how most Lisfrancs occur. The player is down and another player falls or steps full weight onto the heel of the fallen player.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSud8HQsuqiZyG6XRmmAMhTbpuOsQcTm cnruhb-yfhDPsHmNiW0qg

ChrisG
11-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Didn't see it posted. Schaub out for the season. Not just a few games. Per adam schefter. We had something great going. Now we need a miracle to make it deep. Let alone top the afc south.

I am hoping matt2 can step up

fiasco west
11-14-2011, 06:21 PM
http://torotimes.com/files/2011/11/Cushing-Bleeding-Browns-300x199.jpg

C'mon now. We got this.

welsh texan
Imagine if we sign Favre and he gets his ring as a Texan? We'd suddenly become the media's darling team for the rest of time!

dalemurphy
this is how most lisfrancs occur. The player is down and another player falls or steps full weight onto the heel of the fallen player.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:and9gcsud8hqsuqizyg6xrmmamhtbpuosqctm cnruhb-yfhdpshmniw0qg

ouch!!

Double Barrel
11-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Leinart has his problems, that's for sure. But he's still better than a QB off the street and our 5th round pick, who ever that was. We can still win the division, I'm OK with that. But I don't look for us to last very long in the playoffs once we get there.

If we make the playoffs, I consider this season successful regardless of how it pans out.

At some point, that first playoff season monkey has to get off our back.

Texecutioner
11-14-2011, 06:23 PM
I hear yahoos calling local radio shows all the time blathering on about hating Schaub and it makes me want to jump through the radio to pimp slap them.

I haven't seen it a whole lot in the forum, but I don't read every single thread.

I've argued that he's top 10 when you objectively look at the 32 starting QBs in the league.

I'm not sure how to process this, though, because the only impression we have on Leinart is less than positive.

And with low confidence in Kubiak, I just can't blindly believe that his judgment about our backup QB will 100% be sound.

Obviously, I certainly hope Kubiak is right in keeping Leinart. It's going to be a much longer two weeks than previously anticipated.

YOu don't remember the multiple threads after the Raiders game?? Hell you'd think we still had Carr out there Schaub was being bashed so bad and being chastised as a loser.

I think Leinart will do alright though DB. He'll have two weeks to prepare and AJ will be coming back. He is an accurate passer and his lob throws are similar to how Schaub lobs his passes. It's not the end of the world as some might think it is in my eyes. I have faith in Matty.

DocBar
This is how most Lisfrancs occur. The player is down and another player falls or steps full weight onto the heel of the fallen player.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSud8HQsuqiZyG6XRmmAMhTbpuOsQcTm cnruhb-yfhDPsHmNiW0qg

I bet Haynesworth did this intentionally!!!! J/K...kind of....

76Texan
The team responded to Leinart (last year).
That's why Leinart wanted to come back.

Adjusting plays?
Yes, somewhat.
Play to his strength, left vs right.
Play action wise, movement wise.
I had Steve Young and a back up in SF in the same situation (a righty vs a lefty).

Wolf
11-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Just saw the breaking news on this and I think I'm going to throw up.

For the love of all that's good and holy in this world, blow that damn Astrodome up and exorcise the demons!!!

this!

Lurvinator11
11-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Imagine if we sign Favre and he gets his ring as a Texan? We'd suddenly become the media's darling team for the rest of time!

And then we go to the super bowl against green bay and Farve beats his old team. That would rattle some heads!

But no way Kubiak parts with his investment in Matt 2.

The Jacksonville game will have a huge showing on how the rest on the season will play out......

Insideop
11-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Is Leinart any more mobile than Schaub? He's a lefty so that might change things a bit for the O-line. Winston now protects his blind side!

srrono
11-14-2011, 06:26 PM
who do we bring in to Back up
Brodie Croyle
Chris Simms
Culpepper

i cant think of any one else how about you guys

Texn4life
11-14-2011, 06:26 PM
I have all the faith in the world in Leinart.......(I'm actually trying to convince myself of this) F it!!!! I'm getting hammered tonight! I hope we never run a QB sneak ever again.

Austrian
11-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Brodie Croyle
Chris Simms
Culpepper

David Garrard.

Texn4life
Brodie Croyle
Chris Simms
Culpepper

I say make a call to the cell phone picture freak in Mississippi.

welsh texan
I think Schaub's done a pretty damn good job with this team over the years and couldn't understand at all at why folks wanted a multiple season 4,000 yard passer sent packing.

The point discussed was to begin looking for your Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady sleeper pick in the draft over the next few years, bearing in mind Schaub is upgradeable although above average, and also 30 years old. Now, you could find Aaron Rodgers the first time you take a flier on a QB and end up in a difficult situation a couple of years down the line, parting ways with your franchise QB before he's done, or it might take a few attempts before you find your guy and it works out as perfect timing. Heck, it might not work and you'll be left to choose between Kerry Collins and Vince Young for a few years, before getting shot at both of them and having to start a rookie, but you might as well try to get ahead of the game.

Tailgate
11-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Just as I truly started to believe.... The "inevitable" happens. I am sick... And almost shocked. But its the path we chose as Texans fans. I have zero hope it will actually ever happen now.

Texn4life
David Garrard.

Garrard is hurt..... He's not an option.

97roc
In the other Schaub Injury thread, I tried to prepare you all for something more serious than just a routine mild sprain by pointing out that the boot was not consistent with this type of injury. I suggested that it had to be a more severe Grade II or a Grade III sprain, the latter in which you would need to rule out an accompanying fracture. If it IS a Lisfranc fracture, don't count on Schaub coming back this season.

Non-operative (in the case of a stable fracture) or operative treatment would require 6-8 weeks totally non-bearing. No way does he return then. He would just be beginning rehab at that time. Strengthening takes time, especially after this type of injury which is accompanied by ligament damage.
If the injury requires surgery, Schaub would probably not be allowed to return to sports until the hardware is removed, which is usually not before 3-6 months after the original operation.

A Lisfranc injury can be a devastating injury which can lead to debilitating chronic pain and progressive arthritic problems. I hope that this is not the case.

Can't you just lie a little bit? Just take the pain away...

srrono
David Garrard.

he had back surgery

Hervoyel
11-14-2011, 06:30 PM
http://memegenerator.net/cache/instances/400x/10/11166/11434798.jpg
That is awesome!

ChrisG
11-14-2011, 06:31 PM
I thought the world had already screwed the texan. AJ out, Mario out . How much more do we have to overcome?!?

Austrian
11-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Garrard is hurt..... He's not an option.

he had back surgery

Thanks for clarifying I did not know that.

kastofsna
11-14-2011, 06:32 PM
holy moly. sorry to hear this guys.

TheMatrix31
11-14-2011, 06:32 PM
If I'm the Texans, I invest a high pick on a QB.

4x4tx
11-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Bring back Sage! I know he has some illness but would be a quality backup that knows the system

Texecutioner
The point discussed was to begin looking for your Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady sleeper pick in the draft over the next few years, bearing in mind Schaub is upgradeable although above average, and also 30 years old. Now, you could find Aaron Rodgers the first time you take a flier on a QB and end up in a difficult situation a couple of years down the line, parting ways with your franchise QB before he's done, or it might take a few attempts before you find your guy and it works out as perfect timing. Heck, it might not work and you'll be left to choose between Kerry Collins and Vince Young for a few years, before getting shot at both of them and having to start a rookie, but you might as well try to get ahead of the game.

You're bringing up two situations that aren't the norm at all with Brady and Rodgers. How many 2nd string QB's end up being all time greats like Brady has been?? When you guys were going ape shit on Schaub there weren't many people thinking he had the ability to win a SB at all. It was just a few weeks ago, so that's why I pointed out that a lot of folks should be happy about this. The majority of QB's that have risen in this league have been top 10 QB picks and they're all a roll of the dice and we weren't going to be looking at any top 10 picks any way next year and there will be like 4 teams in the top 10 that desperately need a QB bad. That's why I thought it was crazy at how anyone would want to rid this team of Matt Schaub because he isn't some elite guy who is clutch all of the time.

THis season isn't over though. Have faith in Matt being servicable. I certainly do.

fiasco west
A Lisfranc injury can be a devastating injury which can lead to debilitating chronic pain and progressive arthritic problems. I hope that this is not the case.

Oh great, Yao Ming part two.

srrono
11-14-2011, 06:35 PM
OK here is the plan give IND a call and trade all our Ws for thier Ls, Suck for Luck here we come

JWarren14
Dilfer just said don't be surprised if Yates QBs the team before the season is over.

I remember Cushing saying he had a hell of an arm and could run the wild cat like a mug, might be an option.

I'm going to try and be positive until we see how Leinart plays before I get too depressed. As long as we can still run the ball as well as we have we should be OK.

97roc
No mention of Favre yet? Good...

jtexas
New report is that he is done for season.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Matt Schaub is done for the season with a Lisfranc injury.
Matt Leinart will be the Texans' starting quarterback the rest of the way, with rookie T.J. Yates backing him up. Our suspicion is that this is a Lisfranc fracture, an injury that would require surgery and up to 8-10 months of recovery time. Schaub will finish the season with a 15:6 TD-to-INT ratio and 248-yard per-game average, essentially evolving into a game manager of a run-first offense. The rest of the skill players in Houston all take at least small hits, though Leinart's insertion could get Arian Foster more touches because opponents figure to be more competitive in games. Andre Johnson will return after the bye as more of a mid- to low-end WR1 than truly elite fantasy receiver play. He should still dominate targets in Houston's passing game. The offense will remain the most run-heavy in football.

TimeKiller
11-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Yup.

Feelin a bit like Yao being out right at the tipping point...

Feelin a bit like Bagwell being so run down by the time they made it...

WhhhhhyyyyyyyY!?!?!?!?!!?

NOOOOOO!!!!

/dramatic scene in the rain with the camera pulling backwards into the air over me holding an X-ray of Schaub's foot

Welp. Matt Leinart it is. I gotta say, we could do worse....

thunderkyss

Gabbert

Dalton

Ryan

Cam

Painter/Orlovsky

Hasselbeck

We could do worse.

Wolf
Oh great, Yao Ming part two.

hopefully the positive is that Matt isn't 7'6 340ish lbs (or whatever ming was)

Titanic_sub
11-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Titans fan chiming in!

Rough break, injuries always suck. Should be interesting to see how the season pans out from here.

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 06:39 PM
YOu don't remember the multiple threads after the Raiders game?? Hell you'd think we still had Carr out there Schaub was being bashed so bad and being chastised as a loser.

We've got guys wanting to trade Mario for a stick of chewing gum.

We've got guys who felt we would be "ok" if Arian never came back with Tate & Ward.

We've got guys who want to get rid of Jacoby Jones when we only had 1 other healthy WR.

We just want this team to get better.

TexanFan881
11-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Maybe I'm just thinking too hard but...

With Leinart at QB the threat of the passing game is significantly less. This puts more pressure on the running game. Houston is in a four way tie for 10th in rushing yards per attempt. Nothing incredibly special. And that will only get worse with no threat of a passing game.

The reason the defense has been so good is because they have been good against the pass. Against the rush we are in a four way tie for 12th in rushing yards per attempt. The reason the numbers look so good looking at yards per game is because of our early leads and making teams have to pass the ball. With the shortage of offense and points, teams will be able to run the ball more often.

I just see this spiraling into a lot of new issues. I do think we can get two or three wins though, just don't see anywhere in the playoffs without Schaub. Next year....

JCTexan
11-14-2011, 06:41 PM
New report is that he is done for season.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Matt Schaub is done for the season with a Lisfranc injury.
Matt Leinart will be the Texans' starting quarterback the rest of the way, with rookie T.J. Yates backing him up. Our suspicion is that this is a Lisfranc fracture, an injury that would require surgery and up to 8-10 months of recovery time. Schaub will finish the season with a 15:6 TD-to-INT ratio and 248-yard per-game average, essentially evolving into a game manager of a run-first offense. The rest of the skill players in Houston all take at least small hits, though Leinart's insertion could get Arian Foster more touches because opponents figure to be more competitive in games. Andre Johnson will return after the bye as more of a mid- to low-end WR1 than truly elite fantasy receiver play. He should still dominate targets in Houston's passing game. The offense will remain the most run-heavy in football.

Wow. The first report I saw was 'several weeks'. I'll stop posting now since all I want to do is run off some expletives.

srrono
11-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Titans fan chiming in!

Rough break, injuries always suck. Should be interesting to see how the season pans out from here.

Texans still better than Tits

TexanFan881
11-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Kubiak insists he doesn't know where everyone is getting these "out for the season" reports and that they won't find out until next week...

steds
11-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Damn! If only this would have happened when Carson Palmer was still available...

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 06:43 PM
If I'm the Texans, I invest a high pick on a QB.

We've already got to invest a high pick in a true #2 receiver, & an impact pass rusher to gain leverage on Mario....

We're going to have to find more of these high picks somewhere.

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 06:44 PM
You're bringing up two situations that aren't the norm at all with Brady and Rodgers. How many 2nd string QB's end up being all time greats like Brady has been??

Wasn't Schaub a 2nd string QB?

Austrian
11-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Damn! If only this would have happened when Carson Palmer was still available...

We would have been forced to trade at least a 1st rounder to the Bengals. Kinda much for an old guy when you already have an established QB.

srrono
11-14-2011, 06:45 PM
great job Schaub, Step kids are getting thier butts beat all over houston tonight lol.

TheCD
11-14-2011, 06:47 PM
If it helps, our offense is essentially built to suit a game managing QB. Run, run, run. Lots of passes to the TEs. Kill teams off the play action.

Frankly, we just need a QB who won't force the ball often, if at all, and our running game to show up.

steds
11-14-2011, 06:47 PM
We would have been forced to trade at least a 1st rounder to the Bengals. Kinda much for an old guy when you already have an established QB.

My post was in jest. Maybe I was a little too subtle about it.

Texecutioner
11-14-2011, 06:48 PM
We've got guys wanting to trade Mario for a stick of chewing gum.

We've got guys who felt we would be "ok" if Arian never came back with Tate & Ward.

We've got guys who want to get rid of Jacoby Jones when we only had 1 other healthy WR.

We just want this team to get better.

Don't be condescending. There were a ton of Schaub threads all over this site advocating for his demise on this team by a lot of posters and a ton of radio callers asking for the same thing completely forgetting how hard it is to win without a capable QB that can put up numbers like Schaub can. I don't give a damn about what people think of Mario or Foster or any of those other situations you mentioned. That's not what this is about. Schaub is gone now so the folks who wanted him gone can see what it's like without him taking the snaps. They'll either learn to appreciate him or seeing Leinart out there will further those thoughts of wanting him shipped out of here.

If Leinart plays like I believe that he can, it just might make those same fans holler it even more. I don't think that the offense will take a huge hit. It will take hit, but maybe not a huge one.

Mr. White
11-14-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm not worried just yet.

We're built on the run game and team defense now....which is the kind of team I always wanted.

At worst, we just need Leinart be a game manager. At best, his almost 2 years here has made him a good pro QB.

TexanFan881
11-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Kubiak is concerned about Lawrence Vickers as well....

mariowillshine15
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81239711/Pre-WK-3-Matt-Leinart-highlights?r_src=ramp

Matt Leinart highlights. Except for a pick, pretty nice performance.

Iceman16
Patriots fans probably said the same thing about Brady :bender:
Brady can throw more than 10 yards downfield. Bring in Yates, at least he has a chance to be decent.

Lurvinator11
11-14-2011, 06:53 PM
In hindsight, we have to be super glad that Leinart didn't leave for Seatle earlier in the season. Could you imagine being stuck with T.J at this point?

Big Lou
11-14-2011, 06:53 PM
The Chron per McLame says its an ankle sprain. Grade two recovery is 4-6 weeks, and Grade three is 8-12 according to a website i went to. So doesn Schaub have a Grade 2.8 Sprain.

Seems kind of long for an Ankle Sprain in the NFL, unless its high ankle.

dalemurphy
11-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Don't be condescending. There were a ton of Schaub threads all over this site advocating for his demise on this team by a lot of posters and a ton of radio callers asking for the same thing completely forgetting how hard it is to win without a capable QB that can put up numbers like Schaub can. I don't give a damn about what people think of Mario or Foster or any of those other situations you mentioned. That's not what this is about. Schaub is gone now so the folks who wanted him gone can see what it's like without him taking the snaps. They'll either learn to appreciate him or seeing Leinart out there will further those thoughts of wanting him shipped out of here.

If Leinart plays like I believe that he can, it just might make those same fans holler it even more. I don't think that the offense will take a huge hit. It will take hit, but maybe not a huge one.

After some consideration, I think the odds are good that the regular season will continue to progress as it has, with us beating up on mediocre teams by two or more scores, making big plays in the play action game, and running all over the field. Unfortunately, there will be a time in the playoffs when we need a two minute offensive drive. When and if that occurs, we will miss Matt Schaub.

Also, though unlikely, it is possible that Leinart totally wilts under pressure and plays poorly, derailing the entire season.

The Cush
11-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Kubiak insists he doesn't know where everyone is getting these "out for the season" reports and that they won't find out until next week...

Kubiak doesn't even know when he's allowed to throw the challenge flag!!

Just kidding...he's just like the rest of us, holding on to that small chance he can still play this season

Texecutioner
11-14-2011, 06:57 PM
When and if that occurs, we will miss Matt Schaub.

Well you and I believe that is a huge loss, but a lot of fans on this board and in Houston believe that Schaub is a choker in the clutch. YOu're right it's a loss though none the less. Matt Leinart was damn good in the clutch in college though.

Also, though unlikely, it is possible that Leinart totally wilts under pressure and plays poorly, derailing the entire season.

I don't think that we'll have to lean on him enough for that to happen.

XI CMURDER IX
The Chron per McLame says its an ankle sprain. Grade two recovery is 4-6 weeks, and Grade three is 8-12 according to a website i went to. So doesn Schaub have a Grade 2.8 Sprain.

Seems kind of long for an Ankle Sprain in the NFL, unless its high ankle.

He just said that it was a fracture too on Twitter, and that he would get second opinion to avoid surgery. :kubepalm:

toronto
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20111113027&page=plays

I think this is one of the few teams that can overcome the loss of a starting QB. Your team identity has changed drastically - its now more in the image of a Steeler-type team - great running game, physical and a solid to great defense.

Schaub or no Schaub you're still going to win the AFC South. No way do the Titans have it in them to go 6-2 in the 2nd half, which IMO is what they would need to stick with the Texans.

Even still, no Schaub costs the Texans a shot at being a legit Super Bowl contender.

For the record, the Kubiak sucks chants need to probably stop. 7-3 without Mario and AJ is damn good work for any coach.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
11-14-2011, 06:58 PM
We will still win the division. Not even worried about that.

fiasco west
11-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Don't listen to McClain guys, he's never right.

Big Lou
11-14-2011, 07:03 PM
I know it sounds crazy, but I think we are going to be just fine. Sure Matt2 isn't as good as Schaub, but I think he will fill in just fine. I just have a feeling you're going to see the Matt2 of USC as oppossed to the one in Arizona.

Big Lou
11-14-2011, 07:04 PM
He just said that it was a fracture too on Twitter, and that he would get second opinion to avoid surgery. :kubepalm:

Yeh and just found out about the Frac Lis thing, which he mentions in a newer article, I think he is using Schefters Twitter as his inside source......

paycheck71
11-14-2011, 07:06 PM

If the injury is as reported (and I'm guessing it is), all you have to do is google lisfranc fracture to know that he's done for the year. Kubes is hoping for a miracle here...

That said, I'm well into my 2nd scotch :kubepalm:, but will start drinking Leinart koolaid tomorrow...

:koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid:

TexansBlood
11-14-2011, 07:10 PM
ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter is saying he is out for the season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7235059/source-matt-schaub-houston-texans-season-lisfranc-injury

BSofA04
11-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Here's another Leinert one...
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h110/bsofa04/IMG955563.jpg

rush2112mn
11-14-2011, 07:12 PM
I just listened to the Coach Kubiak show.....he said the injury is not season ending yet......that Schaub will go see a couple of specialists first.....but that is not season ending yet....

Dang ESPN......saying it is season ending......wtf ESPN.....they are just putting it out there to say it....they have nothing confirmed by the Texans yet......TOTAL MFBS.......

Espn......bspn........

Rey
11-14-2011, 07:16 PM
I just listened to the Coach Kubiak show.....he said the injury is not season ending yet......that Schaub will go see a couple of specialists first.....but that is not season ending yet....

Dang ESPN......saying it is season ending......wtf ESPN.....they are just putting it out there to say it....they have nothing confirmed by the Texans yet......TOTAL MFBS.......

Espn......bspn........

Kubiak said it is a serious injury. He wouldn't confirm that it was season ending, but reading between the lines it would be extremely fortunate if it wasn't.

TexansBlood
11-14-2011, 07:17 PM
ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter is saying he is out for the season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7235059/source-matt-schaub-houston-texans-season-lisfranc-injury

Damn I hope they are wrong.

Iceman16
11-14-2011, 07:17 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81239711/Pre-WK-3-Matt-Leinart-highlights?r_src=ramp

Matt Leinart highlights. Except for a pick, pretty nice performance.

That's why they're called "highlights". :wadepalm:

fiasco west
11-14-2011, 07:18 PM

Espn......bspn........

It is, Kubes is just being silly. Maybe the team thinks there is some revolutionary procedure to get him back on the field or something...or Kubes is just being a NFL head coach and downplaying an injury.

Iceman16
11-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Unfortunately, there will be a time in the playoffs when we need a two minute offensive drive. When and if that occurs, we will miss Matt Schaub.
We'll miss Schaub in a clutch situation when he needs to win us a game?

Lol?

srrono
11-14-2011, 07:20 PM
ESPN says its a Lisfranc joint in right foot.

plus Schaub has a appointment with a dr that specializes Lisfranc injurys

dalemurphy
11-14-2011, 07:21 PM
We'll miss Schaub in a clutch situation when he needs to win us a game?

Lol?

Are you insinuating that Schaub doesn't execute the two minute offense well... or, he hasn't been clutch late in games? Give me a break! I realize he isn't Peyton or Brady but the guy has been very good since his return from injury late in 2008.

Showtime100
11-14-2011, 07:21 PM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86913

fiasco west
11-14-2011, 07:23 PM
So the injury happens because the Texans take over in their own endzone pretty much and Schaub takes a QB sneak just to get some space....

So had Kareem just been his normal self and gave up the TD the Texans would have still had Schaub....

F'n Kareem Jackson.

Jackie Chiles
11-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Maybe I'm just thinking too hard but...

With Leinart at QB the threat of the passing game is significantly less. This puts more pressure on the running game. Houston is in a four way tie for 10th in rushing yards per attempt. Nothing incredibly special. And that will only get worse with no threat of a passing game.

The reason the defense has been so good is because they have been good against the pass. Against the rush we are in a four way tie for 12th in rushing yards per attempt. The reason the numbers look so good looking at yards per game is because of our early leads and making teams have to pass the ball. With the shortage of offense and points, teams will be able to run the ball more often.

I just see this spiraling into a lot of new issues. I do think we can get two or three wins though, just don't see anywhere in the playoffs without Schaub. Next year....

If you truly think the running game this year has been "nothing incredibly special" I don't know what team you have been watching.

I would also say that while we are not an elite run defense most of the rush yards against us have actually come when we are ahead late and everyone has their ears pinned back rushing the passer.

Iceman16
11-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Are you insinuating that Schaub doesn't execute the two minute offense well... or, he hasn't been clutch late in games? Give me a break!
That's exactly what I'm insinuating. Are you joking?

Iceman16
11-14-2011, 07:26 PM
So the injury happens because the Texans take over in their own endzone pretty much and Schaub takes a QB sneak just to get some space....

So had Kareem just been his normal self and gave up the TD the Texans would have still had Schaub....

F'n Kareem Jackson.

:bravo:

ATRAIN
11-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Here's another Leinert one...
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h110/bsofa04/IMG955563.jpg

hahahahahahah NICE!!! In Leinart we Trust!!

MEGA SWATT
Matt(2) will come in and our offense will keep on rolling. When you think about it, MS is not that great. He's not mobile, can't/won't run the ball, he does not have a strong arm, does not read the defense all that well, and although he is somewhat accurate he makes some really questionable short and long throws that make you wonder....plus he can't throw a fade to AJ in the corner.

No Mario, no AJ, no MS, NO PROBLEM!:bravo:

Bipolar The Titan
:bravo:

that was funny

Roadtrip635
11-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Leinart just has to drive the bus and not make the big mistakes. He can do that, right?

http://roadtrip635.mysbrforum.com/photos/l/wXupI9K8.jpg

Dash
11-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Matt Leinart’s seen how Brooks Reed has produced for the Texans since Mario Williams went down.

He said in a conference call with reporters Monday evening he’s hoping to fill in for Matt Schaub with similar success.

The Texans have said Schaub is getting further examines on his foot, but that he’s out for sure for the team’s next game, Nov. 27 at Jacksonville. Adam Schefter reports the lis franc injury is a season-ender for Schaub.

Leinart joined the Texans for the 2010 season and was third in line behind Schaub and Dan Orlovsky. He liked things so much that while he might have been able to find a situation that could have got him on the field sooner, he re-signed and came back as Schaub’s primary backup, ahead of rookie T.J. Yates.

“I’m really bummed for Matt,” he said of Schaub. “..Btu he knows and everyone knows in this profession things happen and the next guy has to step up and that’s my job, my responsibility as a quarterback, to take his place right now and to help this team win.”

“It’s a great opportunity and I’m on a great football team and I love these guys and I’m just excited about the chance.”

Leinart sounds like he believes he’s a different guy than the first-round draft pick who did not pan out in Arizona.

He loves working with Schaub and has high praise for coach Gary Kubiak, offensive coordinator Rick Dennison and quarterback coach Greg Knapp.

“The quarterback coaching here is second to none, it’s unbelievable.” Leinart said. “I think that’s why Matt has been able to be so successful and efficient for years now.”

It’s demanding in a way he said is intended to bring out the best in a quarterback and that’s how it should work for him now that he’s older and more mature. His job now is to trust what the coaches tell him, manage the offense and be efficient.

He’s worked hard on his footwork, and it’s supposed to help steer him to throw the ball to the right place.

The offense should be the same, as he shares strengths with Schaub.

“That’s something I’ve always been comfortable with, in college we ran (bootleg) all the time, as much as we do here,” he said. “And it’s part of the reason why I love this offense so much. At Arizona, we weren’t a big boot-action, play-action and boot-pass team at all. Obviously here with the way we run the ball so well, that’s a huge part of our offense and that’s something that I really feel comfortable doing.”

A healthy stable of weapons expected to include Andre Johnson after a long-stretch out with a hamstring injury will help Leinart a great deal, and the team can continue to lean on running backs Arian Foster and Ben Tate.

“I imagine now defenses are going to try to make me throw the ball to win,” he said. “We’ve got some great guys on the outside to do that… It’s going to be fun. Matt is the leader of this team and he got us to this position.

“I told Gary, we’ll just continue to go and win for him and keep this thing going forward.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/30692/leinart-expecting-success-as-texans-qb

HOU-TEX

Espn......bspn........

Shefter's reporting it...so it's likely true. Unfortunately, Shefter is rarely incorrect.

ObsiWan

Oh SNAP!!
that hurts just looking at it.

You know, seems like stuff seems to happen to Schaub when he goes against fat Albert.
...just sayin'....

gtexan02
11-14-2011, 07:36 PM
With all the sports I've watched, all the teams I've followed, no one has created such a range of frustrations and disappointments as the Texans.

And now we are finally 7-3 and being talked about as potential playoff contenders....and we lose our starting QB.

Words can't express...

TexanFan881
11-14-2011, 07:38 PM
If you truly think the running game this year has been "nothing incredibly special" I don't know what team you have been watching.

I would also say that while we are not an elite run defense most of the rush yards against us have actually come when we are ahead late and everyone has their ears pinned back rushing the passer.

Ok, nothing incredibly special might be pushing it, but it isn't what everyone is making it. It's not the best in the league. We are running the ball 35 times a game...of course if we are halfway decent we would be up there yardage wise. 4.4 yards per carry...there are 9 teams in the league that are better than that...and we don't have much of a passing game left. Schaub is way better than anyone around here and gives him credit for. Leinart will not fill his role. There will be a void. There's no doubt and a beat will be missed. But we can still win. Just worried.

gtexan02
11-14-2011, 07:39 PM
I personally think we're screwed.

A big reason our run games works is because teams have to respect the play action pass. Not anymore

Ryan
11-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Ok, nothing incredibly special might be pushing it, but it isn't what everyone is making it. It's not the best in the league. We are running the ball 35 times a game...of course if we are halfway decent we would be up there yardage wise. 4.4 yards per carry...there are 9 teams in the league that are better than that...and we don't have much of a passing game left. Schaub is way better than anyone around here and gives him credit for. Leinart will not fill his role. There will be a void. There's no doubt and a beat will be missed. But we can still win. Just worried.

Dude, you gotta change that sig :vincepalm:

The Cush
Ok, nothing incredibly special might be pushing it, but it isn't what everyone is making it. It's not the best in the league. We are running the ball 35 times a game...of course if we are halfway decent we would be up there yardage wise. 4.4 yards per carry...there are 9 teams in the league that are better than that

When it matters its been special. Those numbers might be skewed because how many times have we opened up the second half with a big lead and just tried to force-feed our run down the opponents throats for 2 quarters to close out a game. Teams could stack the box with 11 guys and we would still run it because we wanted to eat up clock.

TexCanada
I personally think we're screwed.

A big reason our run games works is because teams have to respect the play action pass. Not anymore

Well we won't know if that is true until we see Matt 2 play. We are asking a LOT less of our QB this year then we did in years past. This obviously hurts us, but we should still be able to win most of the games on our remaining schedule. 10 wins should still be the minimum expectation IMO.

TexanFan881
11-14-2011, 07:45 PM
When it matters its been special. Those numbers might be skewed because how many times have we opened up the second half with a big lead and just tried to force-feed our run down the opponents throats for 2 quarters to close out a game. Teams could stack the box with 11 guys and we would still run it because we wanted to eat up clock.

True, good point, hopefully I'm just being pessimistic right now. But you're definitely right in that case, especially late in games when all we've done is hand the ball off after having explosive first halves. And with knowing we are running and stacking the box, 4.4 yards per carry looks a lot more impressive. I'm trying to talk myself out of this pessimism hahaha

Uh definitely, I don't know why I've never gotten around to it. For a long time I didn't post here, just lurked. Just recently started posting every once in awhile. Totally forgot about it to be honest. Pretty funny to see how far we've gone.

Iceman16
11-14-2011, 07:46 PM

:rofl:

SheTexan
11-14-2011, 07:48 PM
I've read everyone of these threads and I'm so depressed I'm headed to my favorite Mexican food restaurant for some ritas! I just can't take this tonight. Maybe tomorrow I'll have a better, and more positive, attitude. Right now all I feel is doom and gloom, and I'm usually a pretty positive person. Just can't process this sheeeeeeet!!!

The Pencil Neck
11-14-2011, 08:11 PM
You're bringing up two situations that aren't the norm at all with Brady and Rodgers. How many 2nd string QB's end up being all time greats like Brady has been?? When you guys were going ape shit on Schaub there weren't many people thinking he had the ability to win a SB at all. It was just a few weeks ago, so that's why I pointed out that a lot of folks should be happy about this. The majority of QB's that have risen in this league have been top 10 QB picks and they're all a roll of the dice and we weren't going to be looking at any top 10 picks any way next year and there will be like 4 teams in the top 10 that desperately need a QB bad. That's why I thought it was crazy at how anyone would want to rid this team of Matt Schaub because he isn't some elite guy who is clutch all of the time.

THis season isn't over though. Have faith in Matt being servicable. I certainly do.

Personally, I always thought Schaub was upper echelon and I think people have been overly critical of his abilities. I think most of the people panicking are the people who thought he was good.

After getting over the shock (not that I'm totally over it, yet), I'm with you. Leinart can do this.

But, #2 QBs who've ended up being great? Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, Matt Hasselbeck had some good years, Jim Plunkett, Roger Staubach... there have been quite a few QBs who've turned out pretty good who had to spend a few years on the bench. Some guys even started off as #1s, then had to get demoted and fight their way back up (like Plunkett.)

I'm hoping Leinart ends up like Plunkett. A guy who had his shot, blew it, sat on the bench and figured things out, and then got his chance and rocked.

LonerATO
11-14-2011, 08:15 PM
With the Defense playing the way it is, the running game looking great and AJ coming back, I can only hope that Leinart turns out like Tent Dilfer in this situation. What I mean by that, is a QB that can just manage the game.

DeMarCushPoll
11-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Just got through watching the play that schaub got hurt on. Sure looked like albert FAT-ASS haynesworthless was the one that rolled on his foot. I HOPE HIS DAMN BOAT SINKS IN THE GULF!!!!!

Kthx
11-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Leinart was looking pretty decent in the preseason, I know that isn't that much to go on but I am not going to be breaking out the arsenic colonic until he proves to me that he isn't going to lead this team to wins. I expect to see a lot more Foster and Tate in the meantime and I doubt anyone can complain too much about that so all that is left to do is wait and see.

Texecutioner
11-14-2011, 08:26 PM
that was funny

Where the hell have you been man??

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Personally, I always thought Schaub was upper echelon and I think people have been overly critical of his abilities. I think most of the people panicking are the people who thought he was good.

In Port Arthur, upper echelon & good are pretty much the same thing. If nothing else, upper echelon is actually better than good.

:kitten:

After getting over the shock (not that I'm totally over it, yet), I'm with you. Leinart can do this.

I'm hoping Leinart ends up like Plunkett. A guy who had his shot, blew it, sat on the bench and figured things out, and then got his chance and rocked.

I'm hoping it's all about the system. Arizona has never had a running game. We haven't ever seen them "produce" a quality QB either, they wasted Jake Plummer, brought in Warner, & brought in Kolb (after giving up on trying to develop their own).

I liked what Lienart said about the QB training he's been getting here & what he said about the similarity of our boot game & what they did @USC.

Kaiser Toro
11-14-2011, 08:32 PM
You never like to see a starter go down, but injuries are a part of the game and have been a significant story for the Texans this year. Other teams have gone onto glory after losing their QB and we have had guys step up in the absence of AJ, Mario, D. Manning, etc, so this is a challenge that comes with precedent. Given that we have a healthy top flight running game and a defense that takes care of business all we need is a manager of the offense.

I am not a Leinart fan, but I acknowledge that he has been able to find success in the past. Leinart would have had no shot at being successful last year, but this team is different - specifically due to the defense.

These are my questions at this juncture:
Will Knapp's development of Leinart show through, and Kubiak's script be Leinart friendly?

How many first team snaps will Yates get the next two weeks? Due to bye week rules (minimum of four consecutive days off), what is the practice plan/work around?

Is Winston ready for blind side duty in pass pro?

Do Mason (possession) and Bry Johnson (former Leinart target with AZ) become more involved in the passing game?

Will Marciano's squad be able to provide some value in the battle of field position?

Since I cannot expect the defense to do anymore, I can only hope they hold the line on their performance to date.

I don't often drink kool-aid. But when I do..... Stay thirsty Texan fans. :texflag:

Ryan
11-14-2011, 08:40 PM
All i see is ESPN the only ones who are reporting the season ending thing. Maybe they're just speculating so in case they are right, they are first to report it? I can only hope. :vincepalm:

Ryan
11-14-2011, 08:44 PM
mortreport Chris Mortensen
Matt Schaub's foot X-Rays were negative when they were taken at halftime. Played the 2nd half, only threw 3 passes.

srrono
11-14-2011, 08:45 PM
this win with def and run is nice in theory but the QB is going to have to make some plays I mean def & run game can be great but if Matt2 throws 3 picks or holds ball to long gets sacked to kill drives it is all for nothing. Matt2 will be our version of Sanchez NYJ. Win or lose threw him.

EllisUnit
11-14-2011, 08:47 PM
ALL i know is i have not officially heard anything from the texans that he is out for the season, all this seems to be word of mouth to me. He seemed fine in the post game show and seemed fine playing the rest of the game. All of this may just be getting blown out of proportion since we are now in first place in the AFC.

stingray
11-14-2011, 08:47 PM
Kurt warner anybody? Maybe somebody can talk him out of retirement. He would be a perfect fit for the system.

redwhiteANDblue
11-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Kurt warner anybody? Maybe somebody can talk him out of retirement. He would be a perfect fit for the system.

There's no way in hell he's coming out of retirement. Don't you think cardinals tried last year?

Ryan
11-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Pretty sure Leinart would be on suicide watch if Warner took his job again.

stingray
11-14-2011, 08:53 PM
There's no way in hell he's coming out of retirement. Don't you think cardinals tried last year?

I know they did. Just saying that this is a much better situation. Much much better defense than he had in AZ and it's only half a season. Don't have to go through training camp. And also a great running game to along with the good defense. He would have a hell of a chance to win another Super Bowl with this team.

brakos82
11-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Pretty sure Leinart would be on suicide watch if Warner took his job again.

:lol:

Cjeremy635
11-14-2011, 08:57 PM
All i see is ESPN the only ones who are reporting the season ending thing. Maybe they're just speculating so in case they are right, they are first to report it? I can only hope. :vincepalm:

I remember several reports being inaccurate this year about the Texans. Recall the "Leinart to Seahawks" report? Remember the "Walter out for several weeks/season"? He missed 1 game IIRC. People want news, and dramatic stories make headlines. They could be right, but I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic.

Carr Bombed
11-14-2011, 08:57 PM
I know they did. Just saying that this is a much better situation. Much much better defense than he had in AZ and it's only half a season. Don't have to go through training camp. He would have a hell of a chance to win another Super Bowl with this team.

Do you really think Kurt Warner is in any kind of football shape right now? He's retired and completely done with football. Unlike Favre, he's content with his choice and is probably enjoying his retirement.

97roc
11-14-2011, 08:59 PM
so... when is Schaub up for a new contract? I saw something the past week or so saying the Texans would work on his extension before the start of next season.

stingray
11-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Do you really think Kurt Warner is in any kind of football shape right now? He's retired and completely done with football. Unlike Favre, he's content with his choice and is probably enjoying his retirement.

Probably not. But I just don't like Leinart whatsoever. I would rather have 75% of Warner than a 100% of Leinart. I hope Matt proves me wrong but I just don't trust the guy.

I know Warner probably will never come back, just saying that if he did, this would be the perfect fit.

mexican_texan
11-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Where's Dave Ragone when you need him?

Austrian
11-14-2011, 09:09 PM

Lol he is receivers coach for the Tacks. Might want to lure him back.:kitten:

Ryan
11-14-2011, 09:16 PM
so... when is Schaub up for a new contract? I saw something the past week or so saying the Texans would work on his extension before the start of next season.

I think next year is his contract year.

EllisUnit
11-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Lol he is receivers coach for the Tacks. Might want to lure him back.:kitten:

yes lets please do :vincepalm: i remember his first start against the jags. Worst game i have ever seen the texans play

leebigeztx
11-14-2011, 09:24 PM
In the other Schaub Injury thread, I tried to prepare you all for something more serious than just a routine mild sprain by pointing out that the boot was not consistent with this type of injury. I suggested that it had to be a more severe Grade II or a Grade III sprain, the latter in which you would need to rule out an accompanying fracture. If it IS a Lisfranc fracture, don't count on Schaub coming back this season.

Non-operative (in the case of a stable fracture) or operative treatment would require 6-8 weeks totally non-bearing. No way does he return then. He would just be beginning rehab at that time. Strengthening takes time, especially after this type of injury which is accompanied by ligament damage.
If the injury requires surgery, Schaub would probably not be allowed to return to sports until the hardware is removed, which is usually not before 3-6 months after the original operation.

Just my opinion, we won't see schaub for at least a yr. If we use recent history, some of those guys take 2 yrs. I was in favor of drafting a qb late 1st or 2nd rd. Right now, that should be even more of a priority. Early draft boards have RG3 as 5th best qb and 41st best prospect. If he comes out and is there, you can't get a better situation.

speedfreek
11-14-2011, 09:32 PM
RGIII is just as brittle.

We need an Elway type in terms of durability..

TJ

CloakNNNdagger
11-14-2011, 09:38 PM
ALL i know is i have not officially heard anything from the texans that he is out for the season, all this seems to be word of mouth to me. He seemed fine in the post game show and seemed fine playing the rest of the game. All of this may just be getting blown out of proportion since we are now in first place in the AFC.

The fact that he went back into the game after the injury and NOW is seeing several specialists AFTER the game, tends to make me believe that he had a stress or undisplaced fracture which commonly may not be picked up on regular x-ray for as long as 10 days. Kubiak even essentially said that the x-ray machine in Reliant is not exactly anything state of the art. But the decision on the basis of not seeing anything on that x-ray (an x-ray at that point only can be considered useful if it positively demonstrates a fracture or at least a separation of bones implying ligament damage.........not when it's negative), the decision was made to let him return to play, instead of playing it on the side of caution and waiting to hopefully obtain a more definitive diagnosis on your valuable QB with more sensitive and reliable testing. The return to play decision in such a case could have easily extended the injury to completion of a stress fracture or ligament tear, or a displacement of an already present recently sustained stress or undisplaced fracture........making surgery the only option.

I don't in any way profess to have all of the facts. But the above turn of events would not surprise me. We will again all have to wait for what facts the Texans finally decide to eventually release.

c10x
11-14-2011, 09:39 PM
This either goes one of two ways, or I'll be disappointed. Either Leinart shows that he's been hungry for another shot, and has been working this entire time (not just the next 2 weeks) - OR we go after a QB early in the draft next year. If we don't do either, then I'll be very disappointed. Schaub is neither young, an ironman, or exceptionally athletic. His replacement needs to start being groomed. Think Aaron Rogers, with a 3 year sit behind Favre.

Texans Pride
11-14-2011, 09:42 PM
How is Leinart's mobility? Is this a strength we can play to?

HJam72
11-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Well, this is it. The elephant in the room was Schaub's freaking ankle. It's Houston, something had to THROW UP ALL OVER our AFC Championship run.

That's it.

We're screwed.

We'll finish 7-9 and that will have been our big 2nd place in the AFC South run...

Dont' worry. We'll get back to....2nd....in about 10 more years...

Playoffs
11-14-2011, 09:44 PM
The fact that he went back into the game after the injury and NOW is seeing several specialists AFTER the game, tends to make me believe that he had a stress or undisplaced fracture which commonly may not be picked up on regular x-ray for as long as 10 days. Kubiak even essentially said that the x-ray machine in Reliant is not exactly anything state of the art. But the decision on the basis of not seeing anything on that x-ray (an x-ray at that point only can be considered useful if it positively demonstrates a fracture or at least a separation of bones implying ligament damage.........not when it's negative), the decision was made to let him return to play, instead of playing it on the side of caution and waiting to hopefully obtain a more definitive diagnosis on your valuable QB with more sensitive and reliable testing. The return to play decision in such a case could have easily extended the injury to completion of a stress fracture or ligament tear, or a displacement of an already present recently sustained stress or undisplaced fracture........making surgery the only option.

I don't in any way profess to have all of the facts. But the above turn of events would not surprise me. We will again all have to wait for what facts the Texans finally decide to eventually release.

So, if I'm getting you, we're pretty much waiting to see if it's a stable Lisfranc that ends his season or an unstable Lisfranc that may end his career?

HJam72
11-14-2011, 09:46 PM
Honestly, Leinart sucks big time.

I'd rather have the other guy in there by a land-slide, but we're going to lose our shirts from here on anyway.

God hates Houston sports and might as well take out the whole O-line, because we're screwed anyway.

MojoX
11-14-2011, 09:47 PM
WTF!!?! The Texans just can't get a break. Just got home from work and this is what I see! Bad timing for Kubiak and the organization. Well... Next man up.

jtexas
11-14-2011, 09:48 PM
I remember several reports being inaccurate this year about the Texans. Recall the "Leinart to Seahawks" report? Remember the "Walter out for several weeks/season"? He missed 1 game IIRC. People want news, and dramatic stories make headlines. They could be right, but I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic.

The difference i've seen is the significance of the player. When walter went down it was barely reported, but when Mario when down you had every insider in the industry looking into it and 10 minutes after his MRI you had the news. As much as i hate it, adam schefter is rarely wrong.

GP
11-14-2011, 09:49 PM

If the x-ray didn't produce a definitive "picture" of what might be there, then maybe it's not as severe? I get what you're saying though--It could take 10 days and more "pictures" to see more clearly what's going on in his foot, correct?

Which, if I am thinking correctly, is why Kubiak said that Schaub is going to have several more looksies at it over the next two weeks. Maybe?

Am I on the right track, or no?

This either goes one of two ways, or I'll be disappointed. Either Leinart shows that he's been hungry for another shot, and has been working this entire time (not just the next 2 weeks) - OR we go after a QB early in the draft next year. If we don't do either, then I'll be very disappointed. Schaub is neither young, an ironman, or exceptionally athletic. His replacement needs to start being groomed. Think Aaron Rogers, with a 3 year sit behind Favre.

I don't see how Kubiak, Smith, and McNair do not take a QB in round 1 or 2 of the 2012 draft. Now is the time. You have to grab a guy and sit him for 2012...let Schaub play in 2012 and let the new kid sit and watch, then let the chips fall where they may for Matt Schaub after 2012 season ends--Either he stays and assumes a backup/mentor role for the sophomore QB or he tries to go after QB1 money elsewhere. Franchise tag in this situation--What does it look like and would it be a viable option on Schaub to gain us a 2013 out of him just to have the insurance and maybe even sit the sophomore another year?

HJam72
11-14-2011, 09:50 PM
I want to curse with size 7, bolded letters. :brickwall:

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 09:52 PM
...Early draft boards have RG3 as 5th best qb and 41st best prospect. If he comes out and is there, you can't get a better situation.

How 'bout we draft that guy from North Carolina in the 2011 draft?

gary
11-14-2011, 09:53 PM
I think Leinart will be good enough to get in to the playoffs but I think not having Schaub will hurt the most in the playoffs.

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 09:59 PM
...could have easily extended the injury to completion of a stress fracture or ligament tear, or a displacement of an already present recently sustained stress or undisplaced fracture........making surgery the only option.

What do you make of not coming right out & saying surgery is the only option..... I mean they did more tests today & have sent the x-ray or MRI to some specialist & waiting for a guy who is out of the country, etc... etc..

If it were the situation you described, we wouldn't need to go for all these second & third opinions right?

leebigeztx
11-14-2011, 10:02 PM
RGIII is just as brittle.

We need an Elway type in terms of durability..

TJ

In terms of mobility, ability, and iq, rg3 is perfect for kubes. Big arm, accurate, high iq,great feet.

XI CMURDER IX
11-14-2011, 10:03 PM
In terms of mobility, ability, and iq, rg3 is perfect for kubes. Big arm, accurate, high iq,great feet.

Except he doesn't show up in winnable games :vincepalm:

keyser
11-14-2011, 10:04 PM
It's like a cosmic predestination that the Texans are not allowed to do well. Just when people were finally starting to remark about the Texans being a good team, and just when I was finally starting to believe that the team was going somewhere, we get this news. I was talking with a coworker at lunch today about how the Texans were finally into the "good team" category that reminded me of teams that you expect to be able to win every game. Then, we get this news, and it's back to the same old "if things go just right, we maybe have a shot to be better than mediocre" feeling.
:wheel: :brickwall: :wheel: :brickwall: :wheel: :brickwall:

GP
How is Leinart's mobility? Is this a strength we can play to?

Honestly, when I watched him in the preseason...he is not very fast and he got chased down very quickly. I can remember one preseason game where he played a lot...granted, it was with 2nd and 3rd stringers alongside him...he would roll out and could barely get to the sideline to throw it away as defnders were hunting him down.

As bad as Schaub is about mobility, I'm pretty sure Schaub is better than Leinart in that category--It's more having to do with timing and trust of the WRs/TEs, and overall awareness...THAT, IMO, is where Schaub is obviously one-up on Leinart as we wait to see how Leinart does out there. Can Leinart hoof it and get out there on the bootlegs (PROPERLY) or does his footwork get sloppy and he lumbers about and ruins the flow of the pass play??? Just read where Leinart says "I've been working on my footwork and it's gotten better" but man oh man he has GOT to be 100% on whether it's improved or not. We're all gonna' find out in two weeks, that's for sure.

If I was McNair, I'm not going to sit and wait to see if Leinart will do OK. Yeah, I'm definitely going to let him play vs. Jax. However, I'm going to go out and get Favre like I should have done a season or two ago when I had the chance to. Because THIS year, a guy like Favre who KILLS defenses when his RBs and o-line are running the ball really, really well (it's the play-action that Favre murders defenses with, duh!) a guy like Favre, if I'm McNair, presents some sort of playoff experience whereby you can try to Kurt Warner this deal and get a ring out of the situation.

Favre is smart. He wants to play, even if I have always ragged on the guy for it. He could take our offense and slay opponents with Foster-Tate-OD/Dreessen-AJ-KW/JJ. SLAY THEM.

If I'm McNair, I call the old man up and tell him we need a gunslinger for hire. We need a hired gun. Do you not think this Texans defense would absolutely go bonkers if they had Leinart and Favre to trust with Schaub being on the shelf for so long? It's not a shot at Leinart, he has to know this is how it goes. This is how it is. This is the NFL, and you do what you have to do in order to field the best team you can no matter the circumstances.

I'm on the phone with Favre right now. I'm telling him he has two weeks to come and learn the playbook. He has the Jax game to sit on the sideline and soak it up even more, and he might get the shot if Leinart is sinking.

I don't wait and see. I see that this as a title that is here for our taking; that we've been held down one way or another for way too long now, and I'm going to lie, steal, cheat or even kill to get the Texans as far as I can.

I won't blame Bob if he doesn't do it. I really won't. But man, I'd go nuts if he pulled off a stunt like this and made it happen. After Leinart, there's who??? I love Yates, rah-rah-rah and all that jazz, but he is who he is...and this season is here for us RIGHT NOW. RIGHT. NOW.

Out of all the out-of-work QBs that I would trust to throw the ball and make things happen, based on what we got for that QB to work with, Old Man Favre has to be the one guy you look at it and think "You know what? The guy can go balls if he has a running game to keep defenses honest." Period.

End of rant.

Kaiser Toro
Except he doesn't show up in winnable games :vincepalm:

Would that include TCU?

CloakNNNdagger
11-14-2011, 10:05 PM
So, if I'm getting you, we're pretty much waiting to see if it's a stable Lisfranc that ends his season or an unstable Lisfranc that may end his carreer?

The former is pretty much true. The latter does not necessarily hold true. But it is a long return to playing shape. And when he returns, he may not be the immobile Schaub we know. He may become the very immobile Schaub we would rather not know.

GP
11-14-2011, 10:07 PM

I'm on board, leebigeztx. I was on board way back at the start of the NCAA season when I went into the college football forum and started asking you guys about RG3 and if he's legit or a poser like we saw in JeMarcus Russell and VY.

The consensus was that he's a pretty doggone good QB.

Accurate (he threw a bazillion completions before throwing his first interception), mobile, and a home-state college kid. I like it, but I think we'd have to move way up to grab him in early round 1 with how desperate teams are for a quality QB these days.

Andy Dalton would have been ideal, but hindsight is 20/20.

speedfreek
11-14-2011, 10:08 PM
I don't see it. I think the guy is overrated, but we'll find out in the draft.

TJ

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 10:12 PM
I don't see how Kubiak, Smith, and McNair do not take a QB in round 1 or 2 of the 2012 draft.

Why?

Do you, or do you not like what Schaub has done over the past 5 years? Matt Schaub was not a 1st or 2nd round pick, not until we gave up two 2nds to get him.

Playoffs
11-14-2011, 10:12 PM
I'm on the phone with Favre right now...
I'm on the phone with Elway. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-rolleyes007.gif

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Honestly...

End of rant.

Please, please, PUhlease tell me where you get that primo stuff!!!

Wolf
11-14-2011, 10:19 PM
If the Texans offense with HTM,aj,od, foster and tate can put up 21 points. .

I like my chances.

Sometimes I think some people on here think HTM needs to be all world. All he needs to do is play within the system and not turn the ball over

CloakNNNdagger
11-14-2011, 10:30 PM
What do you make of not coming right out & saying surgery is the only option..... I mean they did more tests today & have sent the x-ray or MRI to some specialist & waiting for a guy who is out of the country, etc... etc..

If it were the situation you described, we wouldn't need to go for all these second & third opinions right?

TK, I wish I could answer your question (which is a good question), but I can't with certainty, mainly since we don't even know if this is a true Lisfranc which involves a fracture of a metatarsal bone (one of the long mid foot bones) along with a separation of that bone with its more proximal attachment to an ankle bone........or if it may be solely a metatarsal fracture without the accompanying separation and associated ligament damage. There may still be a question of a true separation if it demonstrates borderline measurement.

Don't forget, though, how often these same scenarios of not really being told what they may know........things that they must have known pretty much from the beginning, but chose not to reveal it until they decided that "hiding it" any longer served no further purpose. Who knows at this point? Who knows when and if we find out what the real facts of injury ever come out.

One thing that I can tell you is that no injury is made BETTER by allowing it to be played on. I also question why he was not made to elevate his foot or, better yet, why he would be allowed to bear weight let alone walk on his booted foot BEFORE a definitive diagnosis could be made. Reminds me of watching Tate being encouraged to weight bear and walk off the field unassisted after his catastrophic injury.........only to finally give out when he reached the sideline. Again, I wish I had all the answers for you, but I just don't.

GuerillaBlack
11-14-2011, 10:33 PM
TK, I wish I could answer your question (which is a good question), but I can't with certainty, mainly since we don't even know if this is a true Lisfranc which involves a fracture of a metatarsal bone (one of the long mid foot bones) along with a separation of that bone with its more proximal attachment to an ankle bone........or if it may be solely a metatarsal fracture without the accompanying separation and associated ligament damage. There may still be a question of a true separation if it demonstrates borderline measurement.

Don't forget, though, how often these same scenarios of not really being told what they may know........things that they must have known pretty much from the beginning, but chose not to reveal it until they decided that "hiding it" any longer served no further purpose. Who knows at this point? Who knows when and if we find out what the real facts of injury ever come out.

One thing that I can tell you is that no injury is made BETTER by allowing it to be played on. I also question why he was not made to elevate his foot or, better yet, why he would be allowed to bear weight let alone walk on his booted foot BEFORE a definitive diagnosis could be made. Reminds me of watching Tate being encouraged to weight bear and walk off the field unassisted after his catastrophic injury.........only to finally give out when he reached the sideline. Again, I wish I had all the answers for you, but I just don't.
Why dont you work for the Texans medical staff? Seriously.

CloakNNNdagger
11-14-2011, 10:38 PM
If the x-ray didn't produce a definitive "picture" of what might be there, then maybe it's not as severe? I get what you're saying though--It could take 10 days and more "pictures" to see more clearly what's going on in his foot, correct?

Which, if I am thinking correctly, is why Kubiak said that Schaub is going to have several more looksies at it over the next two weeks. Maybe?

Am I on the right track, or no?

Definitely as relate to plain x-rays. An MRI is more likely to pick up early problems, but they still may take several days to completely define. For further thoughts related to your question, see my above response to TK's question[Post #403].

Kthx
11-14-2011, 10:40 PM
I refuse to be a pessimist about this situation. Elite teams rally around injured star players and everyone else on the field plays better and harder because of it. I would rather Schaub be in but I guarantee our offense and defense will step up their game even more to help balance things out. I figured after Andre Johnson and Mario Williams were gone that our team would once again fail to rise to the challenge but they surprised me, and a lot of other people on this board and won games. These last games is where we prove that we belong as the #1 team in the AFC even without all our best lineup in the game.

GP
11-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Why?

Do you, or do you not like what Schaub has done over the past 5 years? Matt Schaub was not a 1st or 2nd round pick, not until we gave up two 2nds to get him.

I don't like the long-term idea of Matt Schaub as "the guy." Hell, TK, we're even needing to start addressing how we'll replace Andre Johnson.

This is not panic, this is PLANNING for the future. This is saying "We have the run game down. We have the defense down. We just need a plan for QB...and most likely we need a plan for WR too." That day is coming, and why not do it in 2012 Draft and let Schaub play out his contract in 2012 and allow the red shirt freshman QB sit and watch, soak up the offense with no pressure to perform immediately??? It can work. There are ZERO long-term QB options in free agency, TK.

Favre, IMO, is a guy you hire when you got all bases covered everywhere else. He would command immediate respect for the remainder of the 2011 season. He might not even have to play if Leinart holds down the fort well enough. But he's THERE if we need him. We got caught flat-footed vs. Oakland--We didn't implement a non-AJ gameplan and it cost us that game, IMO--and we can't afford to just assume Leinart will be adequate. Not with how we got a stranglehold on the division and might even get a bye...maybe even homefield advantage too. The time is now. You pull out all the stops.

Because nobody here wants Leinart getting hurt and we're all watching TJ Yates scamper onto the field and wonder how in the hell he got thrown in here like this, under THIS set of circumstances. Leinart wants it badly. I won't say TJ Yates doesn't want it, but you know he'd be thunderstruck a bit as compared to Leinart/Favre.

I want what's best for 2011 and beyond. I don't think Schaub is the long-term QB here. I don't think Leinart is either. TJ Yates? A long shot, to say it nicely. When do you start trying to find a QB for the future, TK? It better not be too late, or you're throwing him to the wolves and Kubiak won't settle for anything less than what he had out of Schaub.

We need a ballsy QB, a guy who has the rifle and wants to shoot defenses down. Favre could be the lifeboat of this potential Titanic moment we've got going on, but we need a whole new ship because I'm afraid the hull damage to Schaub is irreparable long-term.

That's the key: Who is QB1 two years from now? Schaub can have 2012 to play it out and see what's there for him, and we can watch him in 2012 and see if he's OK too...but what will be his price for 2013 and beyond? We have to address these things N-O-W, IMO. NOW. Or 2011 will be a nice after thought as we trudge through 2012 and 2013 trying to figure out why the run game won't work like it did in 2011.

It's a real problem, right now as the situation stands, and it gets bigger as time drags on. If nobody is worried about that, I'm afraid they're letting a 7-3 record in 2011 get to their head a bit. Even the Titans tried to get a different QB1 (Hasselbeck) and drafted Locker to try this approach. Whether it works or not is not the point, it's what you do when you had a QB1 "situation" no matter what that situation was/is. It's what you do. It's all you can do.

NitroGSXR
11-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Why dont you work for the Texans medical staff? Seriously.

He's too vocal and honest. They only hire bullshit artists.

Kthx
11-14-2011, 10:43 PM
And I honestly don't think that going out and trying to grab Favre is going to help anything. Maybe we can get Boomer out of the booth while were at it. Whats Aikman doing these days.

brakos82
11-14-2011, 10:52 PM
I'll ask Dante Pastorini on Facebook if he's up to it.

Lucky
11-14-2011, 10:54 PM
I'm trying to find some perspective. At first glance, the injury to Shrub appears to be devastating to the Texans season. How can a team succeed with a season ending injury to their starting QB? But, their are some reasons why I'm less concerned than I was initially.

One, this is now a run first offense. The Texans have a 55/45 run/pass ratio this season. Arian Foster is now the centerpiece of the offense. His backup, Ben Tate, is on pace for a 1,000 yard season. While Schaub has played well ar times this year, I don't think the Texans have a single victory that you can sayithat he was the determining factor. I think it is entirely possible the Texans could be sitting at 7-3 with Leinart as quarterback all seas

Two, this is a QB friendly offense. With the play action and boots, The QB gets a lot of open looks. And with Foster, Daniel, and a returning Andre Johnson, Leinart will have playmakers that can take the pressure off him.

Three, how about that defense! The top ranked unit in the league. Teams average 16.6 points per game against the Texans. Basically, treating most offenses as if they were the Manning-less Colts. It's not like 2010, when the offense needed to put 30 on the board for a chance to win.

Finally, the remaining schedule. The Texans will play teams with a combined 21-34 record. It doesn't get much easier than that in the NFL. Just play. 500 ball the rest of the way, and this franchise gets its first division title in the watered down AFC South.

No, I'm not happy with this bit of news. I still believe that Matt Schaub will be the starting QB for the Texans, opening day 2012. I just don't believe this season is over

GP
11-14-2011, 10:55 PM
People can knock me for my long posts, but at least I'm not cryptic in my ideas on here. I don't flip-flop. I pick a position and stick with it (Hell, I'm even sticking with my signature pic until 2011 shakes itself out completely).

So when I type long posts, it's because I feel strongly and I want to say what I want to say and not have anybody twist my words or whatever.

So I'm sorry if my posts are long. I'm working on my entire train of thought when I do that. I think Leinart can get it done, but if he can't...there is zero reason why McNair doesn't at least try to grab another QB immediately so that we don't have TJ Yates as QB2. I'm sorry, I don't hate the guy or anything...it just is what it is.

We're one QB injury away from being COMPLETELY finished. Does nobody understand that? TJ Yates is not Ryan Fitzpatrick. He's not ready, he's not some unheralded guy who just needs a chance to shine out there. He's TJ Yates, and he needs time to sit and watch...not be responsible for rescuing our season.

TheMatrix31
11-14-2011, 10:55 PM
All I know is, everyone got pissed when we were bitching about injuries and said it's not even close to a Packers situation...

....well shove it, it is. Foster, Tate, Ward, Andre, Casey, Mario, Manning, Sharpton, and now Schaub? Perhaps even missing a player or two.

Let's see what we're made of.

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 11:01 PM
I want what's best for 2011 and beyond. I don't think Schaub is the long-term QB here. I don't think Leinart is either. TJ Yates? A long shot, to say it nicely. When do you start trying to find a QB for the future, TK? It better not be too late, or you're throwing him to the wolves and Kubiak won't settle for anything less than what he had out of Schaub.

Well, every QB that Kubiak had start for this club has put up decent numbers one way or the other. Schaub was a 3rd round pick & has played pretty well. He's on a team now, that doesn't need a whole lot from the QB position, but Matt has shown that he's got more than enough to get the job done.

I think.

Starters aren't easy to come by in this league & we've got one in Schaub. But we've also been bringing QBs in & searching for Matt's replacement since he got here.

That's what Orlovsky was.. a shot in the dark, that's what Sage was, that's what Lienart is. TJ as well, Alex Brink... didn't we have Brohm here for a little while?

ThaJokaa
11-14-2011, 11:02 PM
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m487/MghtyPtrck/AePuECnCMAEfEdijpg_large.jpg

GP
11-14-2011, 11:04 PM
All I know is, everyone got pissed when we were bitching about injuries and said it's not even close to a Packers situation...

....well shove it, it is. Foster, Tate, Ward, Andre, Casey, Mario, Manning, Sharpton, and now Schaub? Perhaps even missing a player or two.

Let's see what we're made of.

I was thinking this same thing. If the Packers won the Super Bowl the year they supposedly led the league in injuries during that reg season...there is no reason we cannot man up and do the same thing.

I honestly think Leinart got a confidence boost when he decided to stay here instead of going to Seattle. It was him admitting that he is in a good place, and that meant (for him) that being in a good place was better than trying to be QB1 in Seattle. Like someone else said, "Aren't we glad he didn't go to Seattle and we're sitting here with Orlovsky or Yates right now???"

And I also think he gets a boost from seeing the defense continue onward without Mario Williams, watching Brooks Reed hold that spot down and produce sacks out of what we thought could have been a bad, bad ordeal for us.

All in all, Leinart wanted this chance and now he's got it. Let's hope he doesn't mess it up for himself and Texans nation. That's the only reason I want another veteran QB in here right now...to catch Leinart if he falls.

silvrhand
11-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Guys it could be a lot worse.. We could still have Dan O as the backup QB!

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 11:09 PM
People can knock me for my long posts, but at least I'm not cryptic in my ideas on here.

It's not that your posts are long, it's that they are in fact not cryptic & we can tell that you actually believe the crap you're writing.

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm just playing with you GP....

GP
11-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Well, every QB that Kubiak had start for this club has put up decent numbers one way or the other. Schaub was a 3rd round pick & has played pretty well. He's on a team now, that doesn't need a whole lot from the QB position, but Matt has shown that he's got more than enough to get the job done.

I think.

Starters aren't easy to come by in this league & we've got one in Schaub. But we've also been bringing QBs in & searching for Matt's replacement since he got here.

That's what Orlovsky was.. a shot in the dark, that's what Sage was, that's what Lienart is. TJ as well, Alex Brink... didn't we have Brohm here for a little while?

I don't think I've said we haven't tried out QBs. It's just that I look at those "shots at another QB" as being acquisitions aimed at INSURANCE against a Schaub injury, such as Leinart has turned out to be for us, not as "We need to get the true QB1 for the long-term in here and be serious about it."

Two different things, IMO. We were looking for a backup, now we have to be serious about a QB1 in case this injury proves out like it did for Eric Rhett and Deuce Staley (they were essentially finished after suffering a Linsfranc injury).

This is not panic, this is not me slighting Schaub. This is saying the family minivan has some serious noises going on under the hood and we need to maybe start looking at another minivan before our current one completely falls apart. That's fair to everybody. Even to Matt Schaub since I know he'd get a shot in his contract year in 2012 regardless of what we do in the draft.

Cjeremy635
11-14-2011, 11:11 PM
I may be way off base here, and I'm just thinking outloud, but can't they just shoot him up before the game & at halftime? The injury happened in the 2nd quarter and he still played through it. I'm sure it will make the injury linger and possibly get worse, but he can then have surgery in the offseason to repair any significant damages. It may not be the popular choice or even logical, but I'm wondering if it's an option. These guys get paid millions to play, and that includes playing hurt. They all do it. I just don't know if this is one of those injuries that you can will yourself through if you have the right concoction to control the swelling and deal with the pain. I welcome comments, as I said, I'm just thinking outloud here.

AnthonyE
11-14-2011, 11:16 PM

NFL Europe MVP coming back to lead us to victory!

silvrhand
11-14-2011, 11:17 PM
I may be way off base here, and I'm just thinking outloud, but can't they just shoot him up before the game & at halftime? The injury happened in the 2nd quarter and he still played through it. I'm sure it will make the injury linger and possibly get worse, but he can then have surgery in the offseason to repair any significant damages. It may not be the popular choice or even logical, but I'm wondering if it's an option. These guys get paid millions to play, and that includes playing hurt. They all do it. I just don't know if this is one of those injuries that you can will yourself through if you have the right concoction to control the swelling and deal with the pain. I welcome comments, as I said, I'm just thinking outloud here.

Probably not the best decision, although Big Ben has done something similar and his full injury wasn't disclosed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5876391

GP
11-14-2011, 11:17 PM
I'm just playing with you GP....

I know, but I have to clarify for those who would take what we say to each other and make shit out of it. Know what I mean?

I like what you said earlier about how people shouldn't be saying "Now we get to see if the Schaub haters enjoy getting their wish..." when in essence that's also saying "I can't wait for Leinart to stink up the joint so you can see how good Schaub was in the first place."

To me, that post has been the best post in the entire thread. Seriously.

We DO have to rally around this team right now. 100%. We have to believe that fate is not dealing us a death card...we're actually going to show the critics out there that the TEXANS have the best TEAM and we're not a one-man show like the Colts are.

We can lose our top defensive guy. We can lose another guy in Danieal Manning too. We can lose AJ, We can lose Foster. We can lose Schaub. But we're still going to beat YOUR ASS even without those guys. In fact, this year is the year that the "Texans are soft" label gets ripped up and shoved up Michael Lombardi's ass and the tattered edges that hang out of his asshole are lit on fire.

I believe it. I think Kubiak is fed up with it. I think his kids are fed up with it. I think we utterly SMASH the Jags and the media talking heads explode and ooze all over the floors of the ESPN studio because they just can't believe the Texans are relentless like zombies. You have to hit us in the brain to kill us, or we will chew your face off and snack on your guts.

I really think we're this year's version of the 2010 Packers. Whether we win the whole thing or not, IMO, is another matter. But the relentless push onward, regardless of who gets hurt for us, is staggering when you analyze it. I'm no worried. But I want that hired gun slinger in case Leinart falls.

gary
11-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Leinart is now the man and it is time to ride him.

Cjeremy635
11-14-2011, 11:23 PM

That sounds sooooooooo bad!

Unless you meant a piggy back ride. If you're talking "reverse cowgirl", you're on your own bro! Lol

Ryan
11-14-2011, 11:24 PM

I don't swing that way but if it will help us win...:vincepalm:

TexCanada
11-14-2011, 11:25 PM
That sounds sooooooooo bad!

Unless you meant a piggy back ride. If you're talking "reverse cowgirl", you're on your own bro! Lol

I don't think he'd be on his own. He will have to fight through throngs of young, "talented" ladies to get to him.

DX-TEX
11-14-2011, 11:28 PM
I know, but I have to clarify for those who would take what we say to each other and make shit out of it. Know what I mean?

I like what you said earlier about how people shouldn't be saying "Now we get to see if the Schaub haters enjoy getting their wish..." when in essence that's also saying "I can't wait for Leinart to stink up the joint so you can see how good Schaub was in the first place."

To me, that post has been the best post in the entire thread. Seriously.

We DO have to rally around this team right now. 100%. We have to believe that fate is not dealing us a death card...we're actually going to show the critics out there that the TEXANS have the best TEAM and we're not a one-man show like the Colts are.

We can lose our top defensive guy. We can lose another guy in Danieal Manning too. We can lose AJ, We can lose Foster. We can lose Schaub. But we're still going to beat YOUR ASS even without those guys. In fact, this year is the year that the "Texans are soft" label gets ripped up and shoved up Michael Lombardi's ass and the tattered edges that hang out of his asshole are lit on fire.

I believe it. I think Kubiak is fed up with it. I think his kids are fed up with it. I think we utterly SMASH the Jags and the media talking heads explode and ooze all over the floors of the ESPN studio because they just can't believe the Texans are relentless like zombies. You have to hit us in the brain to kill us, or we will chew your face off and snack on your guts.

I really think we're this year's version of the 2010 Packers. Whether we win the whole thing or not, IMO, is another matter. But the relentless push onward, regardless of who gets hurt for us, is staggering when you analyze it. I'm no worried. But I want that hired gun slinger in case Leinart falls.

I have the oddest boner right now....

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 11:28 PM

:vincepalm:

gary............

gary
11-14-2011, 11:29 PM
Would Justin Bevieber ride him?

DBCooper
11-14-2011, 11:30 PM

Stop it Gary, that hottub is probably a little too hot!

CloakNNNdagger
11-14-2011, 11:30 PM

I'm sure he was shot up just to make it to the point he did. If you inject certain moderate injuries, you can sometimes get by. But if the injury is extended to greater severity because you continue to play on it without the normal protective pain feedback, then that more severe resultant injury may not be masked enough to continue to play on it. Also, if your foot specifically is numb from the injection, you don't have proprioception sensory feedback (feeling where in space your foot may be at any point in time). That in itself can make you dysfunctional and more likely to experience further injury. Just think of how when your foot falls asleep after sitting for a long time.......you really don't know where your foot is in space and when you try to walk, you feel and look like Chester in Gunsmoke. You're lucky if you don't fall over.

Cjeremy635
11-14-2011, 11:32 PM

Well then, get in line with Gary to ride Leinart....

I'm kidding, just a FYI. Not that there's anything wrong with y'all riding Matt. Whatever you do in the hot tub, stays in the hot tub.

gary
11-14-2011, 11:32 PM
I hope you guys are not serious because I am not.

CloakNNNdagger
11-14-2011, 11:33 PM

Make sure if it lasts greater than 4 hours, you consult a physician.:tiphat:

Cjeremy635
11-14-2011, 11:36 PM
I'm sure he was shot up just to make it to the point he did. If you inject certain moderate injuries, you can sometimes get by. But if the injury is extended to greater severity because you continue to play on it without the normal protective pain feedback, then that more severe resultant injury may not be masked enough to continue to play on it. Also, if your foot specifically is numb from the injection, you don't have proprioception sensory feedback (feeling where in space your foot may be at any point in time). That in itself can make you dysfunctional and more likely to experience further injury. Just think of how when your foot falls asleep after sitting for a long time.......you really don't know where your foot is in space and when you try to walk, you feel and look like Chester in Gunsmoke. You're lucky if you don't fall over.

Thanks for the feedback Cloak, I was hoping you would chime in. I know it was just wishful thinking, but I had to ask. Your response makes complete sense. I'm still hoping that it isn't as significant as what's being reported by ESPN, only time will tell.

Cjeremy635
11-14-2011, 11:37 PM
I hope you guys are not serious because I am not.

I'm not serious, I'm just messing with ya Gary. I know what you meant with your post.

DX-TEX
11-14-2011, 11:38 PM
Its not over! Was it over when the germans bombed pearl harbor!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

Gawd I love that line!

Norg
11-14-2011, 11:39 PM
If schaub is put on IR what Veteran QB off the streets or on a teams IR would u want to pick up to back up Lienart any names floating around ????

DX-TEX
11-14-2011, 11:41 PM
If schaub is put on IR what Veteran QB off the streets or on a teams IR would u want to pick up to back up Lienart any names floating around ????

http://d0inw0rk.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/brett-favre-gunslinger.jpg

Slingin to AJ!

TheMatrix31
11-14-2011, 11:45 PM
I would cease to be a Texans fan if we brought that **** out of his Mississippi toolshed.

Norg
11-14-2011, 11:45 PM
http://d0inw0rk.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/brett-favre-gunslinger.jpg

Slingin to AJ!

thats what i was kinda thinkin :koolaid:

i wish david garrard was able to go tho ...Damm

Norg
11-14-2011, 11:46 PM
I would cease to be a Texans fan if we brought that **** out of his Mississippi toolshed.

Why ?????

TejasTom
11-14-2011, 11:50 PM
Must have spent too much time on the ranch. I immediately thought horse.
... but can't they just shoot him...

And it was reinforced here.

We are currently 29th in the Pass Attempts per Game.
http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/pass-attempts-per-game

Leinart shouldn't have to throw too much.

Playoffs
11-14-2011, 11:55 PM
I have the oddest boner right now....tmi

GP
11-15-2011, 12:04 AM
It's not that your posts are long, it's that they are in fact not cryptic & we can tell that you actually believe the crap you're writing.

Oh. I see.

(Sigh)

So...where's a good place to eat in Houston? (Just trying to go with what DOES work well for me around here).

drs23
11-15-2011, 12:05 AM
Please, please, PUhlease tell me where you get that primo stuff!!!

Hell, just save me a roach.

C'mon GP, just a pinch. :kitten:

GP
11-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Well then, get in line with Gary to ride Leinart....

I'm kidding, just a FYI. Not that there's anything wrong with y'all riding Matt. Whatever you do in the hot tub, stays in the hot tub.

I'll do it. I'll get in the hot tub and do the deed. Reverse cowboy, missionary, 71...whatever.

If that's what it takes, then that's what it takes. I'm like Ron Burgundy right now. I'll eat that cat poop, I really will...if it gets me a steak then I'll eat the cat poop. Don't even dare think I won't.

This is our year, and we should ALL be willing to ride whatever we have to ride to get to the playoffs. If you aren't willing, then you're not a true fan. Period.

MEGA SWATT
11-15-2011, 12:11 AM
ESPN jumped the gun? They are calling MS done.

NFL.com is not.

TexanSam
11-15-2011, 12:13 AM

NFL.com is not.

Wouldn't be the first time. John Clayton said Kevin Walter would be out for weeks earlier this season. He was out for a couple of days.

Doppelganger
11-15-2011, 12:20 AM
But, #2 QBs who've ended up being great? Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, Matt Hasselbeck had some good years, Jim Plunkett, Roger Staubach... there have been quite a few QBs who've turned out pretty good who had to spend a few years on the bench. Some guys even started off as #1s, then had to get demoted and fight their way back up (like Plunkett.)

You know I am reminded that there was a team a few years ago that looked pretty good. They came out of the gates and many picked them as a contender. Then in December their starting QB went down. Their backup Qb came in and won the final 2 regular season games. He led the team to the Superbowl where he completed 20 of 32 passes for 222 yards, one touchdown, and no interceptions. His team rode a really good RB and stout D performance.

The running back was Otis Anderson. The team was the New York Giants. The Injured QB was Phil Simms. The backup was Jeff Hostetler.

Ryan
11-15-2011, 12:28 AM

NFL.com is not.

They do this for credibility reasons. If they're right, they broke the news story first. If they're wrong, vugg it, they're ESPN, they can do what they want.

Hervoyel
11-15-2011, 12:28 AM
I don't swing that way but if it will help us win...:vincepalm:

So your answer is "No, but we're willing to learn"?

http://movieactors.com/photos-stars/harold-ramis-stripes-5.jpg

Ryan
11-15-2011, 12:32 AM
So your answer is "No, but we're willing to learn"?

http://movieactors.com/photos-stars/harold-ramis-stripes-5.jpg

Must be the alcohol :vincepalm:

GP
11-15-2011, 12:32 AM
You know I am reminded that there was a team a few years ago that looked pretty good. They came out of the gates and many picked them as a contender. Then in December their starting QB went down. Their backup Qb came in and won the final 2 regular season games. He led the team to the Superbowl where he completed 20 of 32 passes for 222 yards, one touchdown, and no interceptions. His team rode a really good RB and stout D performance.

The running back was Otis Anderson. The team was the New York Giants. The Injured QB was Phil Simms. The backup was Jeff Hostetler.

Frank Reich demolished us during the famous 35-3 game up in Buffalo when, IIRC, we had previously beaten up Jim Kelly in the Astrodome at the end of that reg season.

Drew Bledsoe got hurt when he was QB for the Patriots. In came Tom Brady, and the rest is history.

The Rams had their guy go down, and Dick Vermiel vowed that his team would rally around Kurt Warner and that they'd shock the world.

Us not having a competent defense? THAT is a season killer. Us not having a competent offensive line and a quality set of RBs that are 3-deep on the roster chart? THAT is a season killer. Losing Mario was not a season killer. Losing AJ was not a season killer. Waiting on Foster to heal up at the start of the season was not a season killer.

There is a ton of history, most of it being "recent history" within our own team this season, that says we can get through it and make some noise.

I look at Brian Cushing, a guy I thought was surely done and finished because of the whole saga he went through and how putrid he and our defense looked last year...I look at him THIS year, as the guy in the middle making the calls and basically it's Wade Phillips saying to his defense "You do what I say, and you watch how the success will come to you. It will, by golly. Just watch and see," and it has.

There is a crazy amount of "buy-in" right now that has to be a result of our defense. What is crazy is to think that Matt Leinart knows he has a legitimate shot to win a Super Bowl right now. And that Matt Schaub will be watching from the sideline if we do get to a SB game, which is seriously a disheartening thing for a guy like Schaub to have to go through, IMO.

This whole season has been bizarre. I mean, the one fugging team that takes a chance on Haynesworth after he's crapped out in two previous chances...and he ends up doing this to Schaub? Is there a bigger soul sucking NFL player than Albert Haynesworth right now? I don't think there is.

Even his name was ripping off the back of his jersey, as if the football gods were saying he didn't even deserve to have his name on the back of an NFL jersey...and they were prying at it with their nimble fingers, slowly removing it so that he will be gone from our sight one day. Dammit!

srrono
11-15-2011, 12:35 AM
BALT formula good def good run game avg QB no mistakes. Lets look at thier QB history:
2011 Joe Flacco (7)
2010 Joe Flacco (16)
2009 Joe Flacco (16)
2008 Joe Flacco (16)
2007 Kyle Boller (8) / Steve McNair (6) / Troy Smith (2)
2006 Steve McNair (16)
2005 Kyle Boller (9) / Anthony Wright (7)
2004 Kyle Boller (16)
2003 Kyle Boller (9) / Anthony Wright (7)
2002 Jeff Blake (10) / Chris Redman (6)
2001 Elvis Grbac (14) / Randall Cunningham (2)
2000 Tony Banks (8) / Trent Dilfer (8) Super Bowl champion (XXXV)

My point is this can be a winning formula but look at how many QBs it took to make it work. I think Schaub was our Dilfer this year since we were limiting his throws. Now we need another Dilfer thats a lot to ask but I'll cross my fingers.

Malloy
11-15-2011, 02:32 AM
It's the bye week. They've got an extra week to get Matty out of the hot tub and onto the field. At there's that working in our favor. Leinhart is good enough with two weeks of practice to throw a few passes and hand the ball off.

This. 2 weeks to get him 'warmed up' and tuned in to the players on the field, the routes and such.

We might be screwed, and in my eyes definately a huge blow, but let's wait and see if we can play through this. We might be pleasently surprised when our D shuts everyone down and Matt L only has to score 10 points to win :)

The Pencil Neck
11-15-2011, 02:46 AM
In Port Arthur, upper echelon & good are pretty much the same thing. If nothing else, upper echelon is actually better than good.

I have no idea what your point is here.

When I say "upper echelon", I mean that I consider him one of the top 5-6 QBs in the league. Which, as you say, is actually better than good.

The Pencil Neck
11-15-2011, 02:51 AM

Yep. And in the Dolphin's Perfect Season, Griese went down early in the year (like 5 games in). Earl Morral QBd them to most of their victories and even went through the playoffs until Griese came back for the last game or two.

TheMatrix31
11-15-2011, 03:04 AM
The only reason we're limiting throws is because Andre Johnson is out.

But now that Leinart is in, we might keep the same thing going.

JamesBill
11-15-2011, 03:39 AM
Matt has been playing hurt and throwing many bad balls this year anyways. With Andre returning, I doubt teams leave him lonely for long. I have every confidence Leinart can deliver a deep ball as well as Schaub.

burro
11-15-2011, 03:52 AM
Matt has been playing hurt and throwing many bad balls this year anyways. With Andre returning, I doubt teams leave him lonely for long. I have every confidence Leinart can deliver a deep ball as well as Schaub.

Agreed, but physical ability isn't really the concern. Leinart can throw the ball as well as most anyone, but will he be able to effectively read defenses and avoid the mistakes he routinely made as a starter in Arizona (forcing throws into coverage, following his primary receiver with his eyes for the entire play, scrambling out of the pocket for no reason, etc).? Only time will tell. I suppose it could be worse, we could be on the phone with the Giants...if you know what I mean. :kitten:

JamesBill
11-15-2011, 03:57 AM
Agreed, but physical ability isn't really the concern. Leinart can throw the ball as well as most anyone, but will he be able to effectively read defenses and avoid the mistakes he routinely made as a starter in Arizona (forcing throws into coverage, following his primary receiver with his eyes for the entire play, scrambling out of the pocket for no reason, etc).? Only time will tell. I suppose it could be worse, we could be on the phone with the Giants...if you know what I mean. :kitten:

I can't think of a single pass Schaub completed on sunday that Leinart couldn't. Plus I think defenses change their strategy based more on if Andre plays or not, than which Matt is at QB.

Plus Leinart isn't #8.

Lucky
11-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Let's keep this thread about Schaub and his injury, and post about Leinart in other existing threads.

CloakNNNdagger
11-15-2011, 07:52 AM
So, if I'm getting you, we're pretty much waiting to see if it's a stable Lisfranc that ends his season or an unstable Lisfranc that may end his career?

As usual, we don't have the complete findings right now. But probably the best case scenario is an isolated metatarsal stress fracture or clean fracture........a non-Lisfranc fracture that could theoretically heal over a 6-8 week period require an additional 2-week period for strictly return to play conditioning. EVERYTHING would have to heal and fall in place perfectly for Schaub to even POSSIBLY be available late into the playoffs if the Texans make it there. Don't really know, but this is possibly one explanation I could think of for a wishy-washy appearance to the decision process. If, indeed, he only has an isolated non-Lisfranc metatarsal fracture, his long term prognosis would be much less discouraging............IF......

GlassHalfFull
11-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Let's keep this thread about Schaub and his injury, and post about Leinart in other existing threads.

Thanks Lucky, I was thinking that Schaub deserved his own thread.

gtexan02
11-15-2011, 08:27 AM
As usual, we don't have the complete findings right now. But probably the best case scenario is an isolated metatarsal stress fracture or clean fracture........a non-Lisfranc fracture that could theoretically heal over a 6-8 week period require an additional 2-week period for strictly return to play conditioning. EVERYTHING would have to heal and fall in place perfectly for Schaub to even POSSIBLY be available late into the playoffs if the Texans make it there. Don't really know, but this is possibly one explanation I could think of for a wishy-washy appearance to the decision process. If, indeed, he only has an isolated non-Lisfranc metatarsal fracture, his long term prognosis would be much less discouraging............IF......

How is it that Ahmad Bradshaw has a broken foot but can keep playing but schaub would require 6-8 weeks minimum before weight bearing?

Kaiser Toro
11-15-2011, 08:35 AM
How is it that Ahmad Bradshaw has a broken foot but can keep playing but schaub would require 6-8 weeks minimum before weight bearing?

I am not a Doctor, but there are many bones in the foot. McFadden has a foot injury and has been out quite a bit this year.

thunderkyss
11-15-2011, 09:56 AM

I have no idea what your point is here.

When I say "upper echelon", I mean that I consider him one of the top 5-6 QBs in the league. Which, as you say, is actually better than good.

I would think more people would panic if they thought Schaub was upper echelon & we now have to resort to Lienart; knowing their will be a big drop in QB performance.

If the thought was that Schaub was merely good, they wouldn't expect as big a drop; & therefore not panic.

Endcoachment
11-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Honestly guys the fact that they did let him play, barring the adrenaline rush, I don't think its a lisfranc injury. Yeah hes getting tons of evaluations but remember Andre missed 6 weeks and got tons of evaluations and second opinions. A real lisfranc wouldn't have allowed shaub to be in the game for another quarter. It is possible that it could be a broken toe or some really bad bruising as we don't know what went down under that pile. With aj80 we could clearly see how and why his injury took place. I'm not saying I expect 8 to return after the jacks game but I do think hell return if we do get inthe playoffs. We have a bye and six more games to play through. With our defense playing as well as they have and our stellar run game I say we go 5-1. But I'm not sure there's much kool aid left.

The1ApplePie
11-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Does this suck? Hell yes!

It is the end of the season? Hell no!

The Texans aren't losing Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. They are losing a better-than-average QB, not a multi-time all star. Schaub is certainly better than Leinart but its not going from John Elway to Bubby Brister.

mattieuk
11-15-2011, 11:41 AM

The Texans aren't losing Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. They are losing a better-than-average QB, not a multi-time all star. Schaub is certainly better than Leinart but its not going from John Elway to Bubby Brister.

I think it is the unknown factor that is scary with Leinart.

Boy am I scared now!

Sucks for Matty - we've got a good defense playing alongside his offense, and he'll be admiring it from the sidelines.

badboy
11-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Honestly guys the fact that they did let him play, barring the adrenaline rush, I don't think its a lisfranc injury. Yeah hes getting tons of evaluations but remember Andre missed 6 weeks and got tons of evaluations and second opinions. A real lisfranc wouldn't have allowed shaub to be in the game for another quarter. It is possible that it could be a broken toe or some really bad bruising as we don't know what went down under that pile. With aj80 we could clearly see how and why his injury took place. I'm not saying I expect 8 to return after the jacks game but I do think hell return if we do get inthe playoffs. We have a bye and six more games to play through. With our defense playing as well as they have and our stellar run game I say we go 5-1. But I'm not sure there's much kool aid left.My understanding is he was not given MRI until after. He taped @ half time and returned to play. He complained in 4th quarter it was still bothering him.

gtexan02
11-15-2011, 12:01 PM
I am not a Doctor, but there are many bones in the foot. McFadden has a foot injury and has been out quite a bit this year.

I guess my point was that it sounded like CND was implying any foot break has minimum recovery time of 6-8 weeks.

Yet Bradshaw has a break and is still day to day.

Since we dint know which bone is broken and since Schaub rarely runs, I'm just wondering why it wouldn't be possible to see him sooner than 8 weeks

CloakNNNdagger
11-15-2011, 12:57 PM
I guess my point was that it sounded like CND was implying any foot break has minimum recovery time of 6-8 weeks.

Yet Bradshaw has a break and is still day to day.

Since we dint know which bone is broken and since Schaub rarely runs, I'm just wondering why it wouldn't be possible to see him sooner than 8 weeks

Bradshaw originally suffered slight stress fractures of both of his 5th metatarsal bones back in 2009. These were surgically stabilized with a screw that ran essentially through the entire length of his bones.

This last game, like Schaub because of pain, the in-stadium x-rays were taken and showed nothing. But later, additional studies revealed a slight crack in his 5th metatarsal, which showed up at the location of the screw head........the entire bone though remains fully stabilized by the screw for now.

Even so, surgery for Bradshaw may still be in the cards as he is being further evaluated and the game of "day-to-day" may be just that........a game.

Endcoachment
11-15-2011, 01:01 PM
My understanding is he was not given MRI until after. He taped @ half time and returned to play. He complained in 4th quarter it was still bothering him.

Sure, but that's equivalent of some athlete fracturing his fibula. Any human in the world wouldn't be able to play on a fracture. Let alone a lisfranc fracture. I just don't think his injury is as big as every one makes it seem. Even if koobs was downplaying the injury he used the word significant to discribe it.

ObsiWan
11-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Out of all the out-of-work QBs that I would trust to throw the ball and make things happen, based on what we got for that QB to work with, Old Man Favre has to be the one guy you look at it and think "You know what? The guy can go balls if he has a running game to keep defenses honest." Period.

End of rant.
Favre had AP in Minnesota and decided HE would be the hero instead of making use of the best back in football.

No-freakin'-thanks.

Dutchrudder
11-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Gabbert

Dalton

Ryan

Cam

Painter/Orlovsky

Hasselbeck

We could do worse.

What the hell? Andy Dalton, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton and Matt Hasselbeck are all assuredly better than Matt Lienart. At the very least, I would be much more comfortable with them at QB than Lienart.

Cerberus
11-15-2011, 02:42 PM
I would think more people would panic if they thought Schaub was upper echelon & we now have to resort to Lienart; knowing their will be a big drop in QB performance.

If the thought was that Schaub was merely good, they wouldn't expect as big a drop; & therefore not panic.

Schaub is a lot better than many Texan fans realize. Those fans will soon be finding out how much they'll miss Schaub. In fact, I suspect the drop off will be similar to the one from Jason Campbell to Kyle Boller for the Raiders, but they fixed their problem with a trade before the deadline. It shouldn't be as bad a drop off as I suspect there will be from Cassel to Palko, but then again who thought Skelton would do well in Arizona with Kolb ailing?

But it could be! I once saw an 8-2 Raider team lose their last 6 games after Hostetler was lost to injury. That 8-8 record is what got people calling them the "Faiders", when in fact losing the starting QB is what sank them. Houston has a nice record and just needs to keep scratching out victories somehow. The good news is they have a moderate schedule left to play, so maybe they can limp through and get Schaub back for the playoffs if they can hang on to beat out the Titans.

What the hell? Andy Dalton, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton and Matt Hasselbeck are all assuredly better than Matt Leinart. At the very least, I would be much more comfortable with them at QB than Leinart.

All of those QBs are better than Leinart. Heck, Leinart couldn't beat out the supposedly washed up Kurt Warner, he didn't play anywhere in 2010, and even the Cards preferred paying big money to Kolb than settling for any more Leinart.

The two things the Texans have going for them is their running game with Foster and Tate, and their much improved defense. However, those 30 and 40 point games are probably history.

Naiirb
11-15-2011, 03:45 PM
This thread from the Titans forum is so ridiculous http://gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=76948

They are so caught up with whats happening with the Texans they are forgetting they still have to play their own games. Looking at their schedule i see maybe 2-3 more wins. Hilarious

fiasco west
11-15-2011, 03:53 PM
This thread from the Titans forum is so ridiculous http://gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=76948

They are so caught up with whats happening with the Texans they are forgetting they still have to play their own games. Looking at their schedule i see maybe 2-3 more wins. Hilarious

I have been following this thread. The guy that says "We (Titans) control our own destiny..." is funny. How do the Titans control their own destiny? They are 2.5 games behind, still have some tough games, are 1-2 in the division (and still come to Houston at the end of the year) they need us to go on a 3-4 game losing streak for them to jump ahead.

Oh yeah did I mention they play a Falcons team who just lost a heart breaker against a divisional foe last Sunday? Their only good win comes against a Baltimore team that has been as inconsistent as them.

Titans are a good team though, I don't think of them as a cupcake but they need a big collapse from the Texans to take the lead. If they think we will do so because we always did so...well those years in the past we were NEVER 7-3 with the #1 defense in the NFL..

NitroGSXR
11-15-2011, 04:19 PM

There's not much to panic about really... our season is o-v-e-r without Schaub. It is what it is. Fans in denial always holler... plug and play! Plug and play! Believing in the system is ok up to an extent. Leinart is replacing a 4700+ yard passer. Yeah right.

Hopefully we'll hold it together and limp our way into a wildcard. With three divisional games ahead of us... the future looks to be bleak.

FYI, Kubiak confirmed Lisfranc today on NFL.com.

fiasco west
11-15-2011, 04:21 PM
So I guess Schaub also plays defense?

ChampionTexan
11-15-2011, 04:21 PM
There's not much to panic about really... our season is o-v-e-r without Schaub. It is what it is. Fans in denial always holler... plug and play! Plug and play! Believing in the system is ok up to an extent. Leinart is replacing a 4700+ yard passer. Yeah right.

Hopefully we'll hold it together and limp our way into a wildcard. With three divisional games ahead of us... the future looks to be bleak.

FYI, Kubiak confirmed Lisfranc today on NFL.com.

Got a link?

NitroGSXR
11-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Got a link?

Maybe I should type slower?

www.nfl.com

You can't miss it.

DoCRoN
11-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Sooooo.... when do we see the MRI tweet?

thunderkyss
11-15-2011, 05:53 PM
I have been following this thread. The guy that says "We (Titans) control our own destiny..." is funny. How do the Titans control their own destiny? They are 2.5 games behind, still have some tough games, are 1-2 in the division (and still come to Houston at the end of the year) they need us to go on a 3-4 game losing streak for them to jump ahead.

If the Titans (5-4) win out, they'll be 12-4, that would include beating us Jan 1

If the Texans (7-3) win every game but that last one, we'll be 12-4. So you are right, they do not control their own destiny.

However, he's probably thinking we'll lose at least one other game with the change in QB; Atlanta, Cincy, maybe even the Jags.

So we only need to lose 2 of the next 6 & they could possibly win the division.

Oh yeah did I mention they play a Falcons team who just lost a heart breaker against a divisional foe last Sunday? Their only good win comes against a Baltimore team that has been as inconsistent as them.

Titans are a good team though, I don't think of them as a cupcake but they need a big collapse from the Texans to take the lead. If they think we will do so because we always did so...well those years in the past we were NEVER 7-3 with the #1 defense in the NFL..

I'm not saying anything until I see them vs Atlanta. If CJ2ypc has his game back, they could go on a run.

We've never been 7-3 before, but we've never been 11-5 either. I'm not doom & gloom'n because of Lienart, because I think he'll be alright, but I've been worried about Tennessee from the beginning.

They beat Baltimore, we didn't. If they beat Atlanta & we don't. If they beat New Orleans, where we didn't, it would also give them the tie-breaker. Especially if we lose to the Jags & end up with the same division record as Tennessee (assuming they beat us at Reliant).

thunderkyss
11-15-2011, 05:56 PM
So I guess Schaub also plays defense?

That's what I thought about Manning.

How will this defense play when our offense can't stay on the field?

How will this defense play when we are down by 14 & can't stop the run?

michaelm
11-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Maybe I should type slower?

www.nfl.com

You can't miss it.

What an unexpectedly smart azz and condescending response.
Especially considering the fact that the story you are referring specifically states that Kubiak WOULDN"T CONFIRM a lisfranc injury.

Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak wouldn't confirm Tuesday that Matt Schaub is sidelined by a Lisfranc injury in his right foot, and he's not ready to pull the plug on his quarterback's season quite yet.

Link:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82426611/article/kubiak-says-texans-will-know-more-about-schaub-next-week?module=HP11_headline_stack

CloakNNNdagger
11-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Sure, but that's equivalent of some athlete fracturing his fibula. Any human in the world wouldn't be able to play on a fracture. Let alone a lisfranc fracture. I just don't think his injury is as big as every one makes it seem. Even if koobs was downplaying the injury he used the word significant to discribe it.

Endcoachment, you may be right and it may not be a Lisfranc, as I even eluded to before. But it could also be a Lisfranc with minimal joint displacement and thus minimal ligament damage. You'd be surprised as to what some people can temporarily tolerate when they are "shot up."

You might remember Ram’s DE Jack Youngblood. He played the entire 1979 playoffs, including Super Bowl XIV, with a fractured fibula. A week later, he also played in the 1980 Pro Bowl with that sane injured leg.

Or if you want a more contemporary example, Donovan McNabb who was sacked in a game in 2001 against the Cardinals. He grabbed his leg, but got up.....walked to the sidelines........was diagnosed as an ankle sprain and taped up......and returned to complete the entire game. After the game, x-rays revealed that he had not only sustained A fracture of the fibula, but he had sustained THREE separate fractures of the fibula. BTW, in that game, he passed for 255 yds (20 for 25) and 4 Tds. Following that game, McNabb went on to undergo surgery, missing the last 6 weeks of the season and returned for a playoff game in which he demonstrated that he was still not fully recovered.

The Bulls’ rookie player sustained a “leg sprain” in the 2011 playoffs. He was taped up and returned to finish out the rest of the game, after which it was discovered that he too had actually been playing on a fractured fibula. Surgery and out for the rest of the playoffs.

This is only a few examples. None were made better by the experience of going back out there, and each required subsequent surgery and a long rehab.

After RB Duce Staley sustained a Lisfranc fracture, his trainer, the Eagles head trainer Rick Burkholder said:

Lis franc strains are rare in the NFL.

`Most have gone undiagnosed,` he said. `An athlete has foot pain for a year or two, can't push off and leaves the NFL.`link (http://articles.mcall.com/2000-10-12/sports/3337524_1_duce-staley-pins-lis)

ObsiWan
11-15-2011, 07:01 PM

TK... TK...
Slow down and take long, deep breaths.
Better? Heartrate down?
Good.

First, does Jacksonville have an offense that can run against the 2011 edition of the Texan defense? I'm thinking "no". We held MJD to 63 yds on 18 carries before. He did get into the endzone but that was with a little more than 5 minutes to go in the game.

Second, our running game will not fall of the face of the Earth just because the guy who usually is handing off is hurt. Foster says he's just starting to "feel like himself" and Tate is on a mission to show that he's worth that 2nd round pick. We will stay on the field and control the clock.

Third, (and maybe this should have been first) our defense, which has forced turnovers from the likes of Roethlisberger, Flacco, and Brees is facing a rookie QB. Last time we faced him we picked him off twice. We've gotten at least one turnover in EVERY GAME; most games we get two. I look for our D to force him into more mistakes this time too.

This

:firehair::firehair::firehair:

must stop people.

michaelm
11-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Endcoachment, you may be right and it may not be a Lisfranc, as I even eluded to before. But it could also be a Lisfranc with minimal joint displacement and thus minimal ligament damage. You'd be surprised as to what some people can temporarily tolerate when they are "shot up."

You might remember Ram’s DE Jack Youngblood. He played the entire 1979 playoffs, including Super Bowl XIV, with a fractured fibula. A week later, he also played in the 1980 Pro Bowl with that sane injured leg.

Or if you want a more contemporary example, Donovan McNabb who was sacked in a game in 2001 against the Cardinals. He grabbed his leg, but got up.....walked to the sidelines........was diagnosed as an ankle sprain and taped up......and returned to complete the entire game. After the game, x-rays revealed that he had not only sustained A fracture of the fibula, but he had sustained THREE separate fractures of the fibula. BTW, in that game, he passed for 255 yds (20 for 25) and 4 Tds. Following that game, McNabb went on to undergo surgery, missing the last 6 weeks of the season and returned for a playoff game in which he demonstrated that he was still not fully recovered.

The Bulls’ rookie player sustained a “leg sprain” in the 2011 playoffs. He was taped up and returned to finish out the rest of the game, after which it was discovered that he too had actually been playing on a fractured fibula. Surgery and out for the rest of the playoffs.

This is only a few examples. None were made better by the experience of going back out there, and each required subsequent surgery and a long rehab.

After RB Duce Staley sustained a Lisfranc fracture, his trainer, the Eagles head trainer Rick Burkholder said:

link (http://articles.mcall.com/2000-10-12/sports/3337524_1_duce-staley-pins-lis)

So, basically you're saying Schaub needs to suck it up, quit being such a pucee, and play ball like the players you referenced?
Yes. I like it!

fiasco west
11-15-2011, 07:14 PM
If the Titans (5-4) win out, they'll be 12-4, that would include beating us Jan 1

If the Texans (7-3) win every game but that last one, we'll be 12-4. So you are right, they do not control their own destiny.

However, he's probably thinking we'll lose at least one other game with the change in QB; Atlanta, Cincy, maybe even the Jags.

I'm not saying anything until I see them vs Atlanta. If CJ2ypc has his game back, they could go on a run.

We've never been 7-3 before, but we've never been 11-5 either. I'm not doom & gloom'n because of Lienart, because I think he'll be alright, but I've been worried about Tennessee from the beginning.

They beat Baltimore, we didn't. If they beat Atlanta & we don't. If they beat New Orleans, where we didn't, it would also give them the tie-breaker. Especially if we lose to the Jags & end up with the same division record as Tennessee (assuming they beat us at Reliant).

I'm not worried about it because I think the Falcons and Saints are much better teams than the Titans. While the Titans beat the Ravens, they did so at home which apparently means everything to the Ravens who struggle to beat the likes of Seattle and Jacksonville on the road.

Also with how the Titans have been playing it is highly highly unlikely they win out. They have been one of the more inconsistent teams all year, for them to just expect that they will hit the switch...nah...

The Texans have been steady all year. Ran into a road bump for two weeks, but that's understandable considering those two weeks they lost both Mario and Andre. Played a emotionally high Raiders team who leads their division and a Baltimore team that is very hard to beat at home and has a insane record when coming off a bye any ways. The Texans have also lost to the Saints which also happens to be a team leading their division. They really have no losses where you can say "Well what happened that week?" They have been consistent.

Colts never had a good defense though.

Also, I don't think the offense and defense are so intertwined. We had a great offense last year and that didn't help the defense at all. There are also cases like the Jets and Ravens...where a good defense seems to carry a mediocre to bad offense.

Although if the Texans just go out there and go three and out nearly every series that will likely affect the defense no doubt, but I just don't see that happening with Daniels, Johnson, Tate, and Foster. These guys accidentally make a big play every now and then.

CloakNNNdagger
11-15-2011, 07:21 PM
So, basically you're saying Schaub needs to suck it up, quit being such a pucee, and play ball like the players you referenced?
Yes. I like it!

Hopefully, you were being sarcastic. I certainly was in no way trying to glorify the player examples I presented. All of them at the time were not aware of the extent of their injuries. What everyone needs to walk away from my post with is my statement:

Lucky
11-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Especially considering the fact that the story you are referring specifically states that Kubiak WOULDN"T CONFIRM a lisfranc injury.

That's basically what I heard Schaub say in a radio interview on 610am an hour ago. I think they are trying to find a way to get Schaub back by the playoffs.

Before IR was season ending, the '72 Dolphins brought Bob Griese back for the Super Bowl, 3 months after breaking his ankle. If the Texans can somehow get a bye week for the wild card round, Schaub would have 9 weeks to recover for the initial playoff game. Is it likely? No. But there's still a possibility, which is why the Texans are taking their sweet time before making a decision on placing Schaub on IR.

...and Tate is on a mission to show that he's worth that 2nd round pick.
Heck, Tate is looking like the best back from that draft. Would probably be a 1st rounder in a re-draft.

NitroGSXR
11-15-2011, 07:30 PM
What an unexpectedly smart azz and condescending response.

Link:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82426611/article/kubiak-says-texans-will-know-more-about-schaub-next-week?module=HP11_headline_stack

Yeah, I need to apologize to ChampionTexan for my snarky attitude. I wasn't in the best of moods when I read the article. I am d-o-w-n about the loss of Schaub.

That's the article I was referring to. Nobody's going to believe me but I PROMISE you they CHANGED that sentence to wouldn't. It originally said Kubiak confirmed.

False Start
11-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Sooooo.... when do we see the MRI tweet?

Not an MRI but, I found this one of his X-Ray....

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/lisfrancs-schaub1.jpg

DocBar
11-15-2011, 07:35 PM

They beat Baltimore, we didn't. If they beat Atlanta & we don't. If they beat New Orleans, where we didn't, it would also give them the tie-breaker. Especially if we lose to the Jags & end up with the same division record as Tennessee (assuming they beat us at Reliant).Lot's of "if's" in all that TK. I see the point you're trying to make, but you can't make completely unrealistic assumptions about the Tacks while making very reasonable ones about the Texans.

Besides, you left out the minor fact that if the Texans win out, what the Tacks do don't mean squat. I like our odds of winning out much better than the Tacks. They have a far tougher schedule left and we have a much better team, all the way around. My biggest fear is that the players around Leinart will suddenly feel the urge to have to do more and end up costing us. As long as we play the same game we've been playing, we should be just fine. Make Leinart understand that he needs to stay within himself and take care of the ball, we end up no worse than 11-5.

I'll kiss your azz and give you an hour to draw a crowd if the Tacks win 4 out of their last 7. They could very easily lose 5 of their last 7, regardless of what CJ does.

All in all, if Leinart can settle down, manage the offense and pull offthe odd big pass, we're going places. I see Kubes going ultra-Kube and getting all three backs heavily involved in the running attack. I just don't see oppossing D's being able to withstand that. Considering that will keep the NFLs' #1 defense pretty fresh, I like it. Oh yeah, AJ should be back at 100%. PA should be an absolute killer. Like everyone else is saying, next man up. It's Leinart's turn in the barrel.

Nawzer
11-15-2011, 07:41 PM
If it's Lisfranc, he's done for the year. Simple as that. That's a very delicate injury, but luckily Schaub is qb and doesn't need to run around too much. Obviously the Texans doctors know a lot more at this point than we do, but it would be very unwise imo to bring back Schaub before he's 100%.