PDA

View Full Version : Race for #1 AFC Seed

srrono
11-14-2011, 09:43 AM
The road to #1 Seed is not as easy for the Texans as most think. NE remaining Schedule is a very easy one. BALT & PIT are Favorable as well. In order for HOU to have a real shot at #1 seed I think they will have to go at least 5-1 down the stretch.

O=Overall Record
D=Division Record
C=Conf Record

HOU O (7-3) D (3-0) C (6-2)
11 Bye
12 @ Jacksonville (3-6)
13 vs Atlanta (5-4)
14 @ Cincinnati (6-3)
15 vs Carolina (2-7)
16 @ Indianapolis (0-10)
17 vs Tennessee (5-4)

NE O (6-3) D (3-1) C (5-2)
11 vs Kansas City (4-5)
12 @ Philadelphia (3-6)
13 vs Indianapolis (0-10)
14 @ Washington (3-6)
15 @ Denver (4-5)
16 vs Miami (2-7)
17 vs Buffalo (5-4)

BALT O (6-3) D (2-0) C (4-2)
11 vs Cincinnati (6-3)
12 vs San Francisco (8-1)
13 @ Cleveland (3-6)
14 vs Indianapolis (0-10)
15 @ San Diego (4-5)
16 vs Cleveland (3-6)
17 @ Cincinnati (6-3)

PIT O (7-3) D (1-2) C (5-3)
11 Bye
12 @ Kansas City (4-5)
13 vs Cincinnati (6-3)
14 vs Cleveland (3-6)
15 @ San Francisco (8-1)
16 vs St. Louis (2-7)
17 @ Cleveland (3-6)

NYJ O (5-4) D (2-2) C (4-4)
11 @ Denver (4-5)
12 vs Buffalo (5-4)
13 @ Washington (3-6)
14 vs Kansas City (4-5)
15 @ Philadelphia (3-6)
16 vs NY Giants (6-3)
17 @ Miami (2-7)

CIN O (6-3) D (1-1) C (5-2)
11 @ Baltimore (6-3)
12 vs Cleveland (3-6)
13 @ Pittsburgh (7-3)
14 vs Houston (7-3)
15 @ St. Louis (2-7)
16 vs Arizona (3-6)
17 vs Baltimore (6-3)

OAK O (5-4) D (2-2) C (5-4)
11 @ Minnesota (2-6)
12 vs Chicago (6-3)
13 @ Miami (2-7)
14 @ Green Bay (8-0)
15 vs Detroit (6-3)
16 @ Kansas City (4-5)
17 vs San Diego (4-5)

SD O (4-5) D (2-2) C (3-4)
11 @ Chicago (6-3)
12 vs Denver (4-5)
13 @ Jacksonville (3-6)
14 vs Buffalo (5-4)
15 vs Baltimore (6-3)
16 @ Detroit (6-3)
17 @ Oakland (5-4)

TEN O (5-4) D (1-2) C (4-4)
11 @ Atlanta (5-4)
12 vs Tampa Bay (4-5)
13 @ Buffalo (5-4)
14 vs New Orleans (7-3)
15 @ Indianapolis (0-10)
16 vs Jacksonville (3-6)
17 @ Houston (7-3)

bckey
11-14-2011, 09:50 AM
The Bengals and Falcons look like they will be the toughest remaining opponents. The Bengals will be a tough road game. Jacksonville is always tough no matter what their record is but I still say the Texans beat em. The worst the Texans come out of the final 6 games is 4-2 which would put us at 11-5.

Hervoyel
11-14-2011, 10:20 AM
If the Texans take it one game at a time and give each one their full attention then the #1 seed will take care of itself.

drunkcookie
11-14-2011, 10:35 AM
I don't think anyone really thinks it's easy, i just think most are excited about how the boys are right there in the thick of it with only six games to go... It's damn near a case of the Texans controlling their own destiny here... Easy? No way! But it's exciting where this team is at, finally...

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using Tapakeg

drunkcookie
11-14-2011, 10:48 AM
I don't think anyone really thinks it's easy, i just think most are excited about how the boys are right there in the thick of it with only six games to go... It's damn near a case of the Texans controlling their own destiny here... Easy? No way! But it's exciting where this team is at, finally...

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using Tapakeg

Hardcore Texan
11-14-2011, 10:49 AM
If the Texans take it one game at a time and give each one their full attention then the #1 seed will take care of itself.

This!

The Bengals and the Falcons are the toughest remaining games as stated above. You never know which Tennessee team will show up either on Jan 1st, and we can't over look Jax on the road. But these games are all winnable. The Falcons are not a good road team and the Bengals lost their best CB yesterday with a torn achilles.

HJam72
11-14-2011, 10:51 AM
I think we can do this. :kitten:

srrono
11-14-2011, 11:02 AM
I was rooting heavy for NYJ to beat NE cause as much as I think NE isnt as good as in the past I would rather see NYJ win that div and make NE a wild card but now after I looked at the remaining SCH for NE its pretty clear NE is still going to be a factor. I think as long as the Texans get a bye ill be happy but #1 seed would be awesome.

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 12:55 PM
ne o (6-3) d (3-1) c (5-2)
11 vs kansas city (4-5) l
12 @ philadelphia (3-6) l
13 vs indianapolis (0-10)
14 @ washington (3-6)
15 @ denver (4-5)
16 vs miami (2-7) l
17 vs buffalo (5-4)

10-6

Playoffs
11-14-2011, 01:18 PM
New England O (6-3) D (3-1) C (5-2)
11 vs Kansas City (4-5)
12 @ Philadelphia (3-6)
13 vs Indianapolis (0-10)
14 @ Washington (3-6)
15 @ Denver (4-5)
16 vs Miami (2-7)
17 vs Buffalo (5-4)

Patriots, 12-4 or 13-3 ... #1 seed.

Norg
11-14-2011, 01:24 PM
What scares me is the Present and NOW

Tenn is still nipping at our heels and the Jags are going to play with mad pride aganist us at there house in Florida

Norg
11-14-2011, 01:27 PM
This!

The Bengals and the Falcons are the toughest remaining games as stated above. You never know which Tennessee team will show up either on Jan 1st, and we can't over look Jax on the road. But these games are all winnable. The Falcons are not a good road team and the Bengals lost their best CB yesterday with a torn achilles.

U never know which Carolina team is going to show up either or JAGS IMO every week looks tough IMO depending on how this stuff pans out the good meaning We wrap up our divison and Bye at like week 13.. and treat our last 3 games like preseason games or this stuff comes done to week 17 vs the titans with PLayoffs on the line ....scary

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 01:44 PM
...depending on how this stuff pans out the good meaning We wrap up our divison and Bye at like week 13.. and treat our last 3 games like preseason games or this stuff comes done to week 17 vs the titans with PLayoffs on the line ....scary

If we win week 12 & week 13 we would be 9-3. To wrap up the bye week, every other team would have to have 7 losses by then.... can't happen. Not possible.

Norg
11-14-2011, 01:48 PM
i could see the titans lose the next 3

@CLE yeah CLE aint that good put they have been streaky in the past esp when playing at home

@ ATL -- yeah titans are going down

vs Tampa Depending on what tampa team shows up this will be a slobber knocker

Its all depending who shows up from here on out IMO

Insideop
11-14-2011, 01:52 PM
10-6

NE should win every one of those games. It's just a matter of which NE team shows up, the one that beat the Jets last night or the the one that lost to Buffalo awhile back.

Corrosion
11-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Patriots, 12-4 or 13-3 ... #1 seed.

Yer smokin .... that team is seriously flawed , moreso than last years Texans team at least the Texans could run the ball last season to protect their horrible defense.

They cant run the ball offensively and they cant stop the pass defensively.

As good as Brady is , I dont think he can will that team to a 12-4 or better record.

I was rooting heavy for NYJ to beat NE cause as much as I think NE isnt as good as in the past I would rather see NYJ win that div and make NE a wild card but now after I looked at the remaining SCH for NE its pretty clear NE is still going to be a factor. I think as long as the Texans get a bye ill be happy but #1 seed would be awesome.

I was glad to see the Pats win that one , I'd rather play the Pats than the Jets because the Jets defense gives them a chance in every game.

The Texans are the most complete team in the NFL this season.

They can run or pass offensively and they can stop the run and the pass defensively. No other team is as good on both offense and defense.

#2 in defensive points per game

#5 in points per game

I like their chances against either the Pats or Jets but think the Pats are the easier of the two ..... mainly because of the difference in the two teams defensively.

Doppelganger
11-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Yer smokin .... that team is seriously flawed , moreso than last years Texans team at least the Texans could run the ball last season to protect their horrible defense.

They cant run the ball offensively and they cant stop the pass defensively.

As good as Brady is , I dont think he can will that team to a 12-4 or better record.

I was glad to see the Pats win that one , I'd rather play the Pats than the Jets because the Jets defense gives them a chance in every game.

The Texans are the most complete team in the NFL this season.

They can run or pass offensively and they can stop the run and the pass defensively. No other team is as good on both offense and defense.

#2 in defensive points per game

#5 in points per game

I like their chances against either the Pats or Jets but think the Pats are the easier of the two ..... mainly because of the difference in the two teams defensively.

Whatever chance we had for the #1 seed in the AFC is now gone with Schaub's injury. I still think we can make the playoff, but I think its more likely as a #4.

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Whatever chance we had for the #1 seed in the AFC is now gone with Schaub's injury. I still think we can make the playoff, but I think its more likely as a #4.

I know when most people predict, they think about how good the other teams are.

But look at our schedule.... with Schaub, what were you thinking it would take to win the #1 seed? 13 wins? 12?

Then look at our schedule, what game were you expecting Schaub to throw for 300 yards with multiple TDs to win?

I still think we can win 12 games & will think so until I see how bad Lienart stinks it up.

If he plays smart... we should be good.

Doppelganger
11-14-2011, 07:41 PM
I know when most people predict, they think about how good the other teams are.

But look at our schedule.... with Schaub, what were you thinking it would take to win the #1 seed? 13 wins? 12?

Then look at our schedule, what game were you expecting Schaub to throw for 300 yards with multiple TDs to win?

I still think we can win 12 games & will think so until I see how bad Lienart stinks it up.

If he plays smart... we should be good.

We play Cincy and Atlanta: they are both top 5 in rush Defense. They give up 86.8 and 90 ypg. Schaub provides a threat to be able to open up the running game. With Leinart, the Cincy D and ATL D can load the box and force the Texans to air it out with an unknown QB. With Schaub we could have won one or both, without we likely lose both.

NE has the EASIEST schedule and I could see them winning out or losing just once. Pitt has 1 tough game left in SF and other than that they could win out. The Wild card is the Raiders. I have no idea where they will finish, but they could finish just ahead with the tiebreaker, just behind, or miss the playoffs completely. So the Texans could be a 3rd or 4th seed. I really think #1 and #2 pretty much required 12-4 and that meant just one more loss.

The thing about Schaub is he can make that important 3rd and 8 pass for a first down to extend a series. Cincy has a good D and Schaub would have been great picking it apart with short passes. I am not sure Leinart can do that. Atlanta has a solid Run

Can leinart do that? I honestly don't know.

If Schaub had been there, I think we would have beaten Cincy, especially with Leon Hall out.

honored82
11-14-2011, 08:02 PM
NE should win every one of those games. It's just a matter of which NE team shows up, the one that beat the Jets last night or the the one that lost to Buffalo awhile back.

with 6 games remaining, we can expect all top AFC teams ( NE, Steelers, Ravens ) to go 5-1... and if we do the same 5-1 we can be #1 seed.

Jaguars on the road will be a tough one. I dont think our running game will work against them like its been. Hope Leinart does some magic, After all he is a 2004 Heisman trophy winner.
Come one Leinart pull a Cam Newton here.

Norg
11-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Let me revise this mug not this is me being a Football IQ guy and going to what it just seems like on paper

12 @ Jacksonville (3-6)- W Jags got a rookie QB 2 so its a tossup IMO
13 vs Atlanta (5-4)-L Cant score enough points to win simple has that
14 @ Cincinnati (6-3)-W they got a rookie QB to so its a toss up IMO
15 vs Carolina (2-7)-At home pretty much a blowout game IMO
16 @ Indianapolis (0-10)-PLaying for the #1 seed and bye week we best win this game obvs going to be a much tougher game now that Matty is gone infact all these games will be much tougher
17 vs Tennessee (5-4) -but this point we are just spent tired and rdy for the Post season and let a close game slip by this point this game will mean nothing win or lose

honored82
11-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Great!!! but I think we might be comfortable beating 5-4 Atlanta at Reliant rather than 6-3 Cincy Away

thunderkyss
11-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Come one Leinart pull a Cam Newton here.

I'd rather he pull an Tom Brady & take us to the Super Bowl.

Wolf
11-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Jets lost to the Boncos(yes I spelled it right)

DexmanC
11-18-2011, 08:57 AM
The Texans were not asking Schaub to be spectacular, and it's not like
he was Brett Favre with the game on the line. Remember, SAGE ROSENFELS
almost took the starting job from him. Matt Leinart is much better than
Sage, and the team doesn't NEED him to be spectacular either.

You have an elite running game (TWO ProBowl-caliber RB's.)

You have an elite offensive line (there, I finally said it.)

You have an elite defense.

You have an elite wide receiver.

Just don't turn the shit over, and you'll clock a "W."

Peace

Vinny
11-18-2011, 10:01 AM

Peace The bolded part is a bit revisionist history.

DexmanC
11-18-2011, 11:17 AM
The bolded part is a bit revisionist history.

A bit of hyperbole can go a long way to punctuate an idea.

Peace.

texanway
11-18-2011, 11:20 AM
We got a shot. Let's do this!!!!

Thorn
11-18-2011, 11:20 AM
When us negatory posters are making positive posts after losing our starting QB, it goes without saying that the world has somehow fundementally changed. LOL

DBCooper
11-18-2011, 11:35 AM
When us negatory posters are making positive posts after losing our starting QB, it goes without saying that the world has somehow fundementally changed. LOL

It's a bye week.

brakos82
11-18-2011, 11:49 AM
It's a bye week.

And most of the bitchers are in the NSZ where they belong.

DexmanC
11-18-2011, 12:34 PM
And most of the bitchers are in the NSZ where they belong.

lmao

ObsiWan
11-18-2011, 01:17 PM

This is the way I'm thinking too. Who on their remaining schedule has a halfway decent defense against N.E.'s pass-happy offense..? Stat-wise, I listed each opponent's ranking for Passing yds/game and Pts. allowed/game.

NE O (6-3) D (3-1) C (5-2)
11 vs Kansas City (4-5) -- 16th / 23rd
12 @ Philadelphia (3-6) -- 11th / 19th
13 vs Indianapolis (0-10) -- 21st / 32nd
14 @ Washington (3-6) -- 9th / 8th (why aren't they winning more? They're only putting up 15.1 pts/game; that's why)
15 @ Denver (4-5) -- 19th / 25th
16 vs Miami (2-7) -- 25th / 8th (they don't allow many pts/game why aren't they winning more. They can only put up 17.6 pts game. Brady & Co. may have that many by halftime.
17 vs Buffalo (5-4) -- 27th / 23rd

I know stats aren't the whole story but from that standpoint, we'd have to win out to take the #1 seed from N.E. because I don't see anyone they should lose to.
:cool:

ObsiWan
11-18-2011, 01:19 PM

Peace

You left out our prolific TE corps.

DexmanC
11-18-2011, 02:43 PM
You left out our prolific TE corps.

This team is just too stacked. They are already making Kubiak look
like a good coach. Why can't they make Leinart look good also?

NitroGSXR
11-18-2011, 03:24 PM
We may be the #1 seed right now but we are not in control of our destiny. We're only #1 because we haven't had our BYE week yet. Whoever wins the Baltimore/Cincinnati game will take the #1 seed on Sunday. Until we are in control, I can't bank on all Leinart needing to do is "manage" the game.

Allstar
11-18-2011, 04:22 PM
We may be the #1 seed right now but we are not in control of our destiny. We're only #1 because we haven't had our BYE week yet. Whoever wins the Baltimore/Cincinnati game will take the #1 seed on Sunday. Until we are in control, I can't bank on all Leinart needing to do is "manage" the game.

Well if Cincy beats Baltimore we control our own destiny.

NitroGSXR
11-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Well if Cincy beats Baltimore we control our own destiny.

The same thing can be said of Cincinnati. THEY control their destiny until they slip up.

DX-TEX
11-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Leinart will shine so much rest of season that in the offseason we trade him to the redskins for a #1 pick and Brian Orakpo.

Allstar
11-18-2011, 06:11 PM
The same thing can be said of Cincinnati. THEY control their destiny until they slip up.

Exactly. We play eachother, so the winner continues to control their own destiny at that point.

DocBar
11-18-2011, 07:02 PM
I can see the Texans running the table and finishing 13-3. I'm not sure that would be the best thing for the Texans, though. Peaking in November or December doesn't necessarily win a championship.

Endcoachment
11-18-2011, 07:10 PM
I can see the Texans running the table and finishing 13-3. I'm not sure that would be the best thing for the Texans, though. Peaking in November or December doesn't necessarily win a championship.

Wait it doesn't? I thought it was a good idea to peak at the end of the reg season. Oh well i guess if we peak now we won't go far.

ubecool454
11-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Tennessee will lose 4 or 5 of their last 7 games. They will lose to Atlanta this weekend, they will lose to us on Jan 1st they will lose to Buffalo and they will lose to New Orleans for sure and I wouldn't write them in to beat Jax or TB either. The Problem is the AFC North and we can only hope that they beat each other up real good and we take care of our business.

DocBar
11-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Wait it doesn't? I thought it was a good idea to peak at the end of the reg season. Oh well i guess if we peak now we won't go far.I see that you aptly named yourself. The main point I'm making is that a loss might actually do the Texans good and get the refocused on the goal. Too long of a winning streak in November and December has given plenty of other teams a false sense of security. Getting to the playoffs os the goal during the season. Peaking during the playoffs is the ultimate goal. Check the Colts and Chargers playoff records and see how many one and done's they've had with great regular season teams.

thunderkyss
11-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Check the Colts and Chargers playoff records and see how many one and done's they've had with great regular season teams.

Coincidentally they play in the 2 weakest division in the AFC.....

Wait a minute, we're in one of those divisions.

TheMatrix31
11-19-2011, 05:34 AM
Agreed. I'd "like" us to take a loss somewhere. Carolina would be "ideal", if that makes sense. Not against Atlanta or Cincy, who are two legit teams. And not against divisional opponents. Winning (however-many-straight) is just super damn tough to do oddswise. We're not the Patriots or the Packers.

Cerberus
11-19-2011, 08:21 AM

You can? I can't.

Hey, Leinart may not be bad, we'll all find out soon enough, but he isn't Matt Schaub either. So, I'm thinking with the QB change the Texans are probably looking at 10-6 or maybe 9-7. Personally, I think Leinart will come up short against Jax in his first start, and I think losing to the Bengals in Cincy is a reasonable assumption; so that makes it 11-5 at best, but there will probably also be a loss to a team like the Falcons or Titans, meaning 10-6. That is, assuming Leinart doesn't come in and make like Tom Brady OR the Vikings' version of McNabb; then you'd be talking 13-3 OR 7-9. Seriously though, with a back-up QB the Texans should hope to land somewhere around 10-6 or 9-7. If a back-up can win .500 of their games, that's considered acceptable. In Leinart's case half would put the team at 10-6, with Matt going 3-3 as a starter to finish the season.

Cerberus
11-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Coincidentally they play in the 2 weakest division in the AFC.....

Wait a minute, we're in one of those divisions.

You got me to wondering, so I looked up how things were going this season with regard to conference play:

AFCN . . . . . . 16-11
AFCW. . . . . . 16-15
AFCE . . . . . . 13-15
AFCS . . . . . . 13-17

Personally, I think the biggest threat no longer comes from within the AFC, but the NFC which seems to be resurgent after years of being the "other conference". While making the playoffs is important, it will be even more important to be able to defeat the Packers or whichever team the NFC sends to the SB. As far as I'm concerned, it is too hard trying to pick the "best" teams in the AFC, because it tends to change every couple of weeks.

thunderkyss
11-19-2011, 09:10 AM
You can? I can't.
Personally, I think Leinart will come up short against Jax in his first start,

I also think we're going to be disappointed with Leinart's perfromance against Jax.... however, he'll have to be ridiculously terrible to counter for the Jags poor offense.

and I think losing to the Bengals in Cincy is a reasonable assumption; so that makes it 11-5 at best, but there will probably also be a loss to a team like the Falcons or Titans, meaning 10-6.

In all our wins, we have rarely trailed. Against teams that can score, these three in particular & Carolina as well, we're going to need Leinart to make plays, help extend drives & get us in the end-zone.

I don't see us losing all three of these games..... I don't see us winning them all either.

That is, assuming Leinart doesn't come in and make like Tom Brady OR the Vikings' version of McNabb; then you'd be talking 13-3 OR 7-9. Seriously though, with a back-up QB the Texans should hope to land somewhere around 10-6 or 9-7. If a back-up can win .500 of their games, that's considered acceptable. In Leinart's case half would put the team at 10-6, with Matt going 3-3 as a starter to finish the season.

Jaxonville & Indy are extremely week, I can see us winning those. Even with a back-up QB, we should be favored to win those games. That makes us 9-3...... if we go 2-2 vs Atlanta, Cincy, Carolina, & Tennessee, we'll be 11-5.

Matt's not going to be perfect. We know that. But none of our competitors are either.

Malloy
11-19-2011, 09:31 AM
I'll focus on winning the South first, contemplating the best way to enter the playoffs (specilating whom to beat & lose to) is a waste of time.

First win the division, then it's one game at a time and, if we're real lucky, a SB game at the end... But first things first :)

thunderkyss
11-19-2011, 09:37 AM
I'll focus on winning the South first, contemplating the best way to enter the playoffs (specilating whom to beat & lose to) is a waste of time.

First win the division, then it's one game at a time and, if we're real lucky, a SB game at the end... But first things first :)

Unless Tennessee starts to nose dive from here on out (totally possible) the division won't be decided until the last two weeks of the season. We finish the season with two division games. Tennessee's season ends with three division games.

Speculating who we will beat & who we will lose to, dreaming about the #1 seed is inseparable from speculating winning the AFC South.

ObsiWan
11-19-2011, 05:23 PM
I also think we're going to be disappointed with Leinart's perfromance against Jax.... however, he'll have to be ridiculously terrible to counter for the Jags poor offense.
It's Jacksonville's defense that we should worry about. It ranks in the top ten in nearly every defensive catagory. Schaub and the offense didn't shine against it either; Schaub was 16 of 30 for 225 yds, 1 TD and no picks. It took Foster over 30 carries to get 100 yds. Not horrendous but not stellar by any means. And we were at home! So I won't be surprised if the Jags give us even more problems moving the ball in their building.

You're right about their offense though. It took them nearly 3 qtrs to crack the endzone against the feeble Colts. So there should be no concern about getting into a shootout. If we can just keep from turning the ball over and not come out flat offensively, we should win that game.

DocBar
11-20-2011, 05:07 PM
After watching Jax lose to Cleveland and watching the tAcks struggle against Atlanta, my biggest concern is now Cinci, although I think we match up very well with them. There will be some benefit from having JJo on our team.

MistaRed
11-20-2011, 05:09 PM
After watching Jax lose to Cleveland and watching the tAcks struggle against Atlanta, my biggest concern is now Cinci, although I think we match up very well with them. There will be some benefit from having JJo on our team.

Yeah Cincy impressed me. Almost 500 yards of total offense against the Ravens.

ObsiWan
11-20-2011, 05:20 PM

The away game up in Cincy has always been my biggest worry during this stretch run. What works in our favor is their secondary is depleted. What still worries me is they have a good RB in Benson.

ATL is looking pretty good against the Titans. They are second on my worry list.

DocBar
11-20-2011, 05:28 PM
The away game up in Cincy has always been my biggest worry during this stretch run. What works in our favor is their secondary is depleted. What still worries me is they have a good RB in Benson.

ATL is looking pretty good against the Titans. They are second on my worry list.ATL's running game scares me much more than Cincy's. Dalton reminds me of Big Ben and their passing game is pretty dang good, especially for having a rookie QB and rookie WR leading the way. With ATL coming to Houston, I worry about the away game, possibly with bad weather, more.

EllisUnit
11-20-2011, 05:29 PM
It's Jacksonville's defense that we should worry about. It ranks in the top ten in nearly every defensive catagory. Schaub and the offense didn't shine against it either; Schaub was 16 of 30 for 225 yds, 1 TD and no picks. It took Foster over 30 carries to get 100 yds. Not horrendous but not stellar by any means. And we were at home! So I won't be surprised if the Jags give us even more problems moving the ball in their building.

You're right about their offense though. It took them nearly 3 qtrs to crack the endzone against the feeble Colts. So there should be no concern about getting into a shootout. If we can just keep from turning the ball over and not come out flat offensively, we should win that game.

i def wasnt impressed with JAX defense today allowing our former practice squad players Chris Og......to rush for over a 100 yards, and losing to the browns :choke:

HJam72
11-20-2011, 06:20 PM
We're going to win our division with a 7-9 record. :cool:

HJam72
11-20-2011, 06:22 PM
23-3 Preying Black Birds

ObsiWan
11-20-2011, 06:22 PM
i def wasnt impressed with JAX defense today allowing our former practice squad players Chris Og......to rush for over a 100 yards, and losing to the browns :choke:
But remember Chris O. wasn't all that bad. There was some chat about keeping him around and letting Slaton go around these parts; especially after that preseason game where he was the only healthy back.

DocBar
11-20-2011, 06:41 PM
But remember Chris O. wasn't all that bad. There was some chat about keeping him around and letting Slaton go around these parts; especially after that preseason game where he was the only healthy back.Chris O. was horrible for us. Slaton was just a lot more horribler.

ObsiWan
11-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Chris O. was horrible for us. Slaton was just a lot more horribler.

"Horrible" is a bit strong.
He just had two pro bowl caliber RBs and a solid 3rd guy in front of him. In the Ron Dayne/Ahman Green days I would have welcomed having him as a backup.

There was just no way he was going to crack our lineup this season.

HJam72
11-20-2011, 07:10 PM
23-17.

Locker may be a problem for us. :cool:

DocBar
11-20-2011, 07:32 PM
"Horrible" is a bit strong.
He just had two pro bowl caliber RBs and a solid 3rd guy in front of him. In the Ron Dayne/Ahman Green days I would have welcomed having him as a backup.

There was just no way he was going to crack our lineup this season.
Did you watch the preseason games? The only thing of note he did was tote the rock for one whole game. He averaged ~3YPC or so. He showed no vision and no aptitude for the ZBS. I think horrible is almost an understatement.

DocBar
11-20-2011, 07:34 PM
23-17.

Locker may be a problem for us. :cool:Locker has one helluva quick release!!! I was pretty impressed with his play today. I just wish he played for someone outside our division.

TdotTexas2Step
11-21-2011, 12:12 AM
Let's hope the Patriots lose tomorrow, or we end up dropping to the 3rd seed.

ObsiWan
11-21-2011, 12:21 AM
Did you watch the preseason games? The only thing of note he did was tote the rock for one whole game. He averaged ~3YPC or so. He showed no vision and no aptitude for the ZBS. I think horrible is almost an understatement.

Watched every one of them. And I say again, you're comparing him to Foster, Tate, and Ward. Most the league pales in comparison to that trio. Foster and Tate are two of the top ten RBs in the league. Ward would start on some teams and, at a minimum, be a solid #2 on others (I'll bet the Giants wished they had him back given how their running game sucked tonight). Of course Chris O. looked bad compared to those guys.

I'll agree that he wasn't a fit for our zone blocking scheme. That's why he's elsewhere. But "horrible"...? okay, horrible for us. Okay enough for Cleveland. How about that?

ObsiWan
11-21-2011, 12:27 AM
Let's hope the Patriots lose tomorrow, or we end up dropping to the 3rd seed.

I'm confused, what tie-breaker gives them a higher seeding than us?
Assuming they beat the Chefs, they'll have the same overall (7-3) and conference (6-2) record as us. So what gives them the edge?

JCTexan
11-21-2011, 12:37 AM
I'm confused, what tie-breaker gives them a higher seeding than us?
Assuming they beat the Chefs, they'll have the same overall (7-3) and conference (6-2) record as us. So what gives them the edge?

I'm also wondering this. Even looking at common opponents it's tied there (1-1). They lost to Pittsburgh while Htown lost to Oakland.

80tothezone
11-21-2011, 12:52 AM
Chris O. was horrible for us. Slaton was just a lot more horribler.

both backs have the same problem in that they have no vision and they run withtheir head down. What makes foster great is yhe field vision he has and the agility and explosion he posses. I think slaton had the speed and possible agility but witout vision or tackle breaking str he wasn't going to ammount to much

brakos82
11-21-2011, 01:04 AM
I'm also wondering this. Even looking at common opponents it's tied there (1-1). They lost to Pittsburgh while Htown lost to Oakland.

Next step is strength of victory (W-L record of teams beaten). And I'm about to take a shower and go to bed, somebody else do the damn math. LOL

MojoMan
11-21-2011, 09:09 AM
Below are the NFL Tie Breaking Procedures (http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures).

I know this is a little confusing, but the Wild Card procedures are the same procedures that are used to break ties between division leaders. It says so at the bottom of the procedures page linked above:

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

Head-to-head, if applicable.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in conference games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in conference games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

MojoMan
11-21-2011, 09:14 AM
So, the tie breaker between the Ravens, Patriots and Texans after a New England win tonight would be:

This would also apply if all three teams win out. If someone wants to calculate that, knock yourself out.

NitroGSXR
11-21-2011, 09:28 AM
What's a common game?

MistaRed
11-21-2011, 09:31 AM
An opponent that both teams in the tie-breaker have played

MojoMan
11-21-2011, 09:33 AM
An opponent that both teams in the tie-breaker have played

Or that all three teams have played in case of a three way tie. I am not sure that there will be four common opponents between these teams, which is the minimum number required to use this criteria.

thunderkyss
11-21-2011, 09:44 AM
In the case of New England, we've played Miami, Oakland, & Pittsburgh.... the Patriots will also play the Colts this season.

With Baltimore, we've played Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Jacksonville, & Cincinnatti... they will also play the Browns & Indy.

80tothezone
11-21-2011, 09:50 AM
So, the tie breaker between the Ravens, Patriots and Texans after a New England win tonight would be:

This would also apply if all three teams win out. If someone wants to calculate that, knock yourself out.

the ravens beat us head to head so would we take the seed below them?

MojoMan
11-21-2011, 09:50 AM
In the case of New England, we've played Miami, Oakland, & Pittsburgh.... the Patriots will also play the Colts this season.

With Baltimore, we've played Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Jacksonville, & Cincinnatti... they will also play the Browns & Indy.

So, there are not four common teams between these three.

Therefore, the next tie-breaker would be "Strength of Victory."

Definition: A part of the NFL's tiebreaking proceedure, strength of victory is figured by calculating the combined winning percentage of the opponents a team has beaten.

Examples:

If two teams end with identical records, combine the records of the opponents in each of the team's wins and calculate the total winning percentage. The team whose opponents have the higher winning percentage wins the tiebreaker.

http://football.about.com/cs/football101/g/gl_strengthofvi.htm

This appears to be the tie-breaker that will apply after New England beats Kansas City tonight, which they probably will.

MojoMan
11-21-2011, 09:51 AM
the ravens beat us head to head so would we take the seed below them?

If it was a two-way tie, Baltimore will get the higher spot.

However, in a three way tie, things are not so simple.

MojoMan
11-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Fortunately, ESPN has a page that calculates Strength of Victory:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/type/playoffs

Here are the current rankings for these three teams:

CONF RK AFC W L T PCT DIV CONF SOS SOV REASON
1 Baltimore 7 3 0 .700 3-0-0 5-2-0 .490 .529 AFC North Champ (Wins tie break over Pittsburgh based on head-to-head win percentage.)
Wins tie break over Houston based on head-to-head win percentage.
2 Houston 7 3 0 .700 3-0-0 6-2-0 .460 .371 AFC South Champ
3 New England 6 3 0 .667 3-1-0 5-2-0 .522 .483 AFC East Champ

However, please note that New England actually has the highest SOV, but that is calculated before playing Kansas City tonight. Nevertheless, it appears likely that the Texans will take the third seed, unless these numbers change more drastically than I think. It is going to be hard to use this criteria before the end of the season.

The upside is that there are still six more games and the first tie breaker is still wins and losses. If the Texans don't continue to win, none of this tie-breaker business is going to matter anyway.

thunderkyss
11-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Fortunately, ESPN has a page that calculates Strength of Victory:

Here are the current rankings for these three teams:

1 Baltimore 7 3 0 .700 3-0-0 5-2-0 .490 .529 AFC North Champ (Wins tie break over Pittsburgh based on head-to-head win percentage.)
2 Houston 7 3 0 .700 3-0-0 6-2-0 .460 .371 AFC South Champ
3 New England 6 3 0 .667 3-1-0 5-2-0 .522 .483 AFC East Champ

So far, our SOV is .371

& the second half of our schedule is easier than the first.

Wow.

Cerberus
11-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Watched every one of them. And I say again, you're comparing him to Foster, Tate, and Ward. Most the league pales in comparison to that trio. Foster and Tate are two of the top ten RBs in the league. Ward would start on some teams and, at a minimum, be a solid #2 on others (I'll bet the Giants wished they had him back given how their running game sucked tonight). Of course Chris O. looked bad compared to those guys.

I'll agree that he wasn't a fit for our zone blocking scheme. That's why he's elsewhere. But "horrible"...? okay, horrible for us. Okay enough for Cleveland. How about that?

Wow. While Ben Tate may be in the Top 10 RBs statistically speaking, I hardly think he is in the Top 10 overall. Think about it for a minute: Gore, Foster, McFadden, Forte, Peterson, C. Johnson, MJDrew, McCoy, F. Jackson, M. Turner, S. Jackson, Benson, Rice, etc. . . . As for Ward, he was discarded by the Giants, couldn't cut it in Miami, and is now a 3rd string RB.

Just tryin' to keep it real.

BattleRedSnoop
11-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Of course tha Jags are going to play against hard on tha road. It's still a division rival so I know they're going to fight. What team do you know that can just blow every team out? We need some tough games but I still think that we are capable of handling our business. Tha Bengals on tha road will be our toughest challenge in my opinion.

euro-Texan
11-22-2011, 10:33 AM
I think NY wanted to keep Ward. He was playing real well when he left in FA. Then he went to Tampa vice Miami

BattleRedSnoop
11-22-2011, 10:47 AM
People are really starting to piss me off sayin that we're going to win tha division with a 7-9 record. You REALLY think that we will lose ALL 6 of tha games that we have left?! I don't care if it's Leinart or Schaub under center, with a running game and a defense like that there is NO way in hell we'll go on a 6 game losing streak to close out tha season. I'll put money on that..

HJam72
11-22-2011, 10:50 AM
People are really starting to piss me off sayin that we're going to win tha division with a 7-9 record. You REALLY think that we will lose ALL 6 of tha games that we have left?! I don't care if it's Leinart or Schaub under center, with a running game and a defense like that there is NO way in hell we'll go on a 6 game losing streak to close out tha season. I'll put money on that..

I just like to tell them on GoTitans that we're going to win it with a 7-9 record. I don't really mean it. :fingergun:

ChampionTexan
11-22-2011, 10:59 AM

Uhmmmmm.... who's been saying that?

HJam72
11-22-2011, 11:00 AM

I don't know; we could do it. :kubepalm: :stirpot:

MojoMan
11-22-2011, 11:01 AM
After New England's win last night, the Texans are the #3 seed in the AFC:

1 New England 7 3 0 .700 3-1-0 6-2-0 .510 .471 AFC East Champ
Wins tie break over Houston based on strength of victory. Wins tie break over Baltimore based on best win percentage in conference games.
2 Baltimore 7 3 0 .700 3-0-0 5-2-0 .490 .529 AFC North Champ (Wins tie break over Pittsburgh based on head-to-head win percentage.)
3 Houston 7 3 0 .700 3-0-0 6-2-0 .460 .371 AFC South Champ

HJam72
11-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Very important to remember that at this point in time Jax wins the tie-breaker over Miami because of winning percentage in conference games, just in case they both magically win-out and (among other things) Leinart vomits on his career.

ObsiWan
11-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Wow. While Ben Tate may be in the Top 10 RBs statistically speaking, I hardly think he is in the Top 10 overall. Think about it for a minute: Gore, Foster, McFadden, Forte, Peterson, C. Johnson, MJDrew, McCoy, F. Jackson, M. Turner, S. Jackson, Benson, Rice, etc. . . . As for Ward, he was discarded by the Giants, couldn't cut it in Miami, and is now a 3rd string RB.

Just tryin' to keep it real.

I did "think about it for a minute".
Every back you listed is THE feature back for their team. Tate is, technically, a backup. Yet his stats are right there with all those guys. Tate is waaay better than this year's edition of Chris Johnson.
He's younger and faster than C. Benson.
He's bigger and stronger than Ray Rice.
He's younger than Frank Gore and the Jackson brothers (Steve and Fred) who are sneaking up on every RB's Kryptonite, the age of 30. In fact, Fred IS 30.

So I'd put Tate in the top ten of current RBs especially given his production on limited touches.

badboy
11-22-2011, 03:36 PM
I did "think about it for a minute".
Every back you listed is THE feature back for their team. Tate is, technically, a backup. Yet his stats are right there with all those guys. Tate is waaay better than this year's edition of Chris Johnson.
He's younger and faster than C. Benson.
He's bigger and stronger than Ray Rice.
He's younger than Frank Gore and the Jackson brothers (Steve and Fred) who are sneaking up on every RB's Kryptonite, the age of 30. In fact, Fred IS 30.

So I'd put Tate in the top ten of current RBs especially given his production on limited touches.Good post Obsi, I take Tate over C Johnson.