PDA

View Full Version : ***Pass Defense***

HJam72
11-11-2011, 03:20 PM
There was a link to this article on TexanChick's latest blog (where I found it), but honestly, I think this may be the best football article I have ever read and I wanted to bring it right out in the open:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/kerry_byrne/11/09/texans.defense/index.html?sct=nfl_t11_a2

God, I've been screaming for secondary this and that for most of 10 years and I love having a guy like J.Jo. on this team...

CretorFrigg
11-11-2011, 05:00 PM
This reminds us how AWFUL Frank Bush was. Just look at those stats...

Is he working at McDonalds now?

El Tejano
11-11-2011, 05:09 PM
This reminds us how AWFUL Frank Bush was. Just look at those stats...

Is he working at McDonalds now?

No, better! He's working at Tennessee!

TheMatrix31
11-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Bad ass.

badboy
11-11-2011, 05:24 PM
SO to improve the weakest area next, run defense, we do what?

NBT
11-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Ain't a good defense grand? Thank you Wade Phillips.

thunderkyss
11-11-2011, 05:39 PM

Wait till Mario get back.

Seriously.... LBs (Demeco & Cushing) can then concentrate on run defense.

badboy
11-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Wait till Mario get back.

Seriously.... LBs (Demeco & Cushing) can then concentrate on run defense.what if (oh no!) Mario decides to go elsewhere for more than Texans willing to pay?

thunderkyss
11-11-2011, 05:49 PM
what if (oh no!) Mario decides to go elsewhere for more than Texans willing to pay?

Then we'll have to roll the dice & hope we can get another elite end who can play as well as Mario.

Rey
11-11-2011, 08:37 PM
what if (oh no!) Mario decides to go elsewhere for more than Texans willing to pay?

Not going to happen. . .IMHO.

DocBar
11-11-2011, 08:56 PM
SO to improve the weakest area next, run defense, we do what?The Texans are are giving up less than 100y/g. Not much improvement needed there. I would say a full offseason of King Wade's defense and another draft would do more good for this team than anything else. Where would we be with a top tier #2 receiver on the roster? 6-2 or 7-1? Very easy to make those arguments.

BullNation4Life
11-12-2011, 04:49 AM
The Texans are are giving up less than 100y/g. Not much improvement needed there. I would say a full offseason of King Wade's defense and another draft would do more good for this team than anything else. Where would we be with a top tier #2 receiver on the roster? 6-2 or 7-1? Very easy to make those arguments.

Exactly, if Wade could produce this kind of turnaround in a shortened pre-season, imagine what he could do with a full pre-season...

Corrosion
11-12-2011, 07:38 AM

Are you talking about the #4 rushing defense in the NFL - allowing only 91.4 ypg ?!

I'd hardly call that the weakest area ..... :texanbill:

HJam72
11-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Then we'll have to roll the dice & hope we can get another elite end who can play as well as Mario.

Mario doesn't play DE anymore; he plays OLB (and I know you know that).

I'm not completely convinced that we need to keep Mario because of his low percentage of time spent at 100% health and the added unpredictability of our D when he isn't out there.

I'm not convinced we need to let him go either, but it's the money spent elsewhere thing....like on that #2 receiver that DocBar mentioned...

Either way, I predict Phillips knows how to win.

HJam72
11-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Actually, a lot of the point to the article, as I see it, is that stopping the pass is generally more important. Most D's (except the Colts, HAHAHAHA) will have a couple of descent run stops and get to 3rd and long at some point in a drive, even if they're not known for having a good run D. The key is what you do when it's 3rd and long and you have to stop the pass....or give up another first down.

CloakNNNdagger
11-12-2011, 01:08 PM
I am happy with the results so far. I will still remain somewhat reserve about our pass defense in that the quality of passing QBs has not been that challenging. When faced with higher quality talent, Brees passed for over 370 yds on us, Joe Flacco for 305 yds and with even Big Ben who looked fairly gimpy in that game, there was about 210 yds against us.

thunderkyss
11-12-2011, 01:35 PM
I am happy with the results so far. I will still remain somewhat reserve about our pass defense in that the quality of passing QBs has not been that challenging. When faced with higher quality talent, Brees passed for over 370 yds on us, Joe Flacco for 305 yds and with even Big Ben who looked fairly gimpy in that game, there was about 210 yds against us.

Are you hoping we hold all passers to less than 175 yards?

This is what I look at, averages. How did our team do compared to how other teams did? It puts it into perspective.

Brees is averaging 333 yds/game. He's the highest rated passer in terms of yards.

Flacco is rated 12, with 256 yds/game

Ben is 4th, with 292 ypg.

Our pass defense may not be the best in the league, but we're at least as good as most if not better.

pirbroke
11-12-2011, 05:56 PM
2. Going streaking: The Texans’ No. 1 defense has held three consecutive opponents to less than 175 yards of total offense. They’re the ninth defense since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger to accomplish the feat.

All of the previous eight teams to do it won their division that season. Two (1985 Chicago Bears, 1978 Pittsburgh Steelers) won the Super Bowl. Three others made their conference championship game.

No team has ever held four consecutive opponents to less than 175 yards of offense. Only four teams since 1970 have kept four consecutive opponents under 200 yards.

Can the Texans make history this week? The Bucs average 343.5 yards per game, which ranks 15th in the league. Their lowest output this season was 272 yards at San Francisco in Week 5, and they’ve had less than 300 total yards only two other times (vs. Atlanta and Chicago).

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Five-things-to-watch-Texans-at-Bucs/62ab4863-3533-4b2b-8c07-a7ce8ddc4aaa

Corrosion
11-12-2011, 07:52 PM
2. Going streaking: The Texans’ No. 1 defense has held three consecutive opponents to less than 175 yards of total offense. They’re the ninth defense since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger to accomplish the feat.

All of the previous eight teams to do it won their division that season. Two (1985 Chicago Bears, 1978 Pittsburgh Steelers) won the Super Bowl. Three others made their conference championship game.

No team has ever held four consecutive opponents to less than 175 yards of offense. Only four teams since 1970 have kept four consecutive opponents under 200 yards.

Can the Texans make history this week? The Bucs average 343.5 yards per game, which ranks 15th in the league. Their lowest output this season was 272 yards at San Francisco in Week 5, and they’ve had less than 300 total yards only two other times (vs. Atlanta and Chicago).

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Five-things-to-watch-Texans-at-Bucs/62ab4863-3533-4b2b-8c07-a7ce8ddc4aaa

Thats amazing in today's NFL.

The 85 Bears and 78 Steelers (thats some lofty company) .... who are the other seven teams and how recently did they accomplish this ?

DocBar
11-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Actually, a lot of the point to the article, as I see it, is that stopping the pass is generally more important. Most D's (except the Colts, HAHAHAHA) will have a couple of descent run stops and get to 3rd and long at some point in a drive, even if they're not known for having a good run D. The key is what you do when it's 3rd and long and you have to stop the pass....or give up another first down.Pay close attention to the Passer Rating Differential rating that CHFF's uses. Teams on the good side of that ratio are going places. Teams on the bad side aren't. TC had a very good article on it and it's proving itself to be true. The Texans had an opponents rating of 100.5 last season and 66.9-ish so far this season. It doesn't matter if it's pass rush or secondary play, as long as the results are positive for your team, you tend to win. W's are the name pf the game. How you get there doesn;t matter so much. Just check out the Packers for validity.

thunderkyss
11-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Pay close attention to the Passer Rating Differential rating that CHFF's uses. Teams on the good side of that ratio are going places.

Take caution, i've never seen CHFFs DPR used to predict game outcomes. It's a lagging indicator. We've got to maintain or improve our DPR over the next 7 weeks to end up where we want to be.

TejasTom
11-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Pay close attention to the Passer Rating Differential rating that CHFF's uses. Teams on the good side of that ratio are going places. Teams on the bad side aren't. TC had a very good article on it and it's proving itself to be true. The Texans had an opponents rating of 100.5 last season and 66.9-ish so far this season. It doesn't matter if it's pass rush or secondary play, as long as the results are positive for your team, you tend to win. W's are the name pf the game. How you get there doesn;t matter so much. Just check out the Packers for validity.
Also look at Defensive Passer Rating.

Last years, Super Bowl champ Green Bay was No. 1 in DPR; AFC champ Pittsburgh was No. 2.

We are currently no 2.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/kerry_byrne/11/09/texans.defense/index.html