PDA

View Full Version : Andre Johnson injury watch: Week 10

b0ng
11-09-2011, 12:38 PM
NFL_RealUpdates Dov Kleiman
#Texans head coach Gary Kubiak said that WR Andre Johnson has a chance to play against the #Buccaneers on Sunday.
1 hour ago

Good idea?

EDIT: I don't know how this guy could know this, or where Kubiak said it unless it came from the Monday presser.

TexCanada
11-09-2011, 12:40 PM
If there is even a slight doubt about his injury then he should not play. He should be good to go after the bye week.

Kthx
11-09-2011, 12:40 PM
I sorta hope not, maybe suit him up and only use him until we have a good enough lead if anything. Thats only if he and the trainers agree he is 100%, as much of 100% as is possible with the surgery they did anyways.

Texn4life
11-09-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm not thinking that he'll play this week. If he does then I can't see him playing full time reps. They may try to ease him back this week into game action, but his normal reps should be out of the question.

Jackie Chiles
11-09-2011, 12:44 PM
If he is ready to play he should play. He has been honest with the team up to this point. No need for him to play every offensive snap but let him at least get his feet wet before the bye week. Again, only if he is healthy.

ChampionTexan
11-09-2011, 12:51 PM
#Texans head coach Gary Kubiak said that WR Andre Johnson has a chance to play against the #Buccaneers on Sunday.
1 hour ago

Good idea?

EDIT: I don't know how this guy could know this, or where Kubiak said it unless it came from the Monday presser.

I will refrain from expressing any sort of opinion on whether him playing is a good idea or not, as I don't pretend to know. We've basically heard the same thing for the last 3 or 4 games, and whether it's because of Kubiak and the medical staff or because of Andre, they obviously haven't put him out there prematurely to this point.

I will say that indicating he has a chance to play - whether it's true or not - is a very good idea. While the Texans offense seems to have done a pretty good job of adjusting to life without AJ, the fact remains that the offense with AJ is still a different animal than the offense without him. Why not attempt to make the opposition game plan for both of those animals?

drunkcookie
11-09-2011, 12:53 PM
If he's ready let him go, if he's not don't suit him up.... Real simple...

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using Tapakeg

jtexas
11-09-2011, 01:15 PM
If there is any doubt after today's practice, let him rest.

Texan_Bill
11-09-2011, 01:24 PM
I dont think we'll see him until Jacksonville and I think that's been the plan all along.

gtexan02
11-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Lets let them all prepare for AJ

Dutchrudder
11-09-2011, 01:37 PM
At this point, I say sit him until we lose a game. No need to rush him back, we're 6-3 and sitting pretty in the division.

gtexan02
11-09-2011, 01:39 PM
At this point, I say sit him until we lose a game. No need to rush him back, we're 6-3 and sitting pretty in the division.

Why?
Just wait until he's fully 100%

If he is truly 100%, no reason to rest him and let him get rusty for no reason

thunderkyss
11-09-2011, 01:50 PM
We've basically heard the same thing for the last 3 or 4 games...

If he practices today, that'll tell us.

drunkcookie
11-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Why?

Amen... If he's ready he's ready... The dude's getting major bank to play, not to sit when the season's barely half-way done just because we dont want him being injured...

Had he not injured himself this season, and had played in every game, would we be for sitting him this week? Hell no! Let that sucka play if he can play...

TejasTom
11-09-2011, 02:57 PM
In a game a coupler of years ago he went back on the field after coughing up blood and they finally had to hide his helmet to keep out.

If he thinks he can go, he'll go.

ChrisG
11-09-2011, 03:38 PM
In a game a coupler of years ago he went back on the field after coughing up blood and they finally had to hide his helmet to keep out.

If he thinks he can go, he'll go.

I wish I could find that video. That game was awesome. I believe he had an injuried lung. Went to the sideline and coughed up blood. When the trainer turned around he went back on the field. LOL I LOVE THAT AJ IS A TEXAN!

Marcus
11-09-2011, 04:20 PM
If he's "100%" after the bye week, then that will totally surprise me, and frankly, it will go against everything CnD has been advising us about his condition.

Sorry to sound like Debby Downer here, but saying it anyway.

76Texan
11-09-2011, 04:24 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Johnson-sits-out-wont-practice-Thursday/f92c86ba-75ad-4010-b1f2-3ea2b067b26b

Wide receiver Andre Johnson did not practice or run on Wednesday, and he won’t practice on Thursday as he continues to recover from a hamstring injury.

Even still, Texans coach Gary Kubiak did not rule him out of Sunday’s game at Tampa Bay.

“Yeah, there’s a chance, but we’re going to do the smart thing,” Kubiak said after practice on Wednesday. “But he has been working very hard. We gave him today off. We’ll come back tomorrow and see where he’s at.”

Kubiak said there was nothing unusual about Johnson not running on Wednesday. Johnson was held out of practice last week after Kubiak said he was sore coming out of a workout last Monday.

“He’s run four out of the last five days, so we gave him the day off,” Kubiak said. “He will be right back tomorrow working. There’s still a possibility, but I know that he will work with Kap (head athletic trainer/director of sports medicine Geoff Kaplan) tomorrow instead of us. But he is on schedule. Everything is going good, but it will be a weekend decision once again.”

If Johnson does not play this Sunday, he’ll have an additional week to rest with the Texans’ bye coming up on Nov. 20. The Texans don't play again until Nov. 27 at Jacksonville.

76Texan
11-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Texans defensive end Antonio Smith (shoulder), backup nose tackle Earl Mitchell (ankle), right tackle Eric Winston (back) and linebackers Brian Cushing and Connor Barwin (general soreness) also did not practice on Wednesday.

Kubiak said that Smith is “doing good” and will play against the Bucs. Cushing and Barwin could have practiced, but the Texans held them out for rest. Winston was sent for evaluation after experiencing tightness in his back, but Kubiak did not sound concerned about his availability for Week 10.

El Tejano
11-09-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm not thinking that he'll play this week. If he does then I can't see him playing full time reps. They may try to ease him back this week into game action, but his normal reps should be out of the question.

^^^ I agree with this. If anything, let him come in once we get in the redzone.

BattleRedSnoop
11-09-2011, 04:32 PM
I really don't want him to play. We'll be good without him at the Bucs. Just make sure he's back after the bye week.

Go Texans. 6-3

Vinny
11-09-2011, 04:44 PM
He ain't gonna play. The Texans are just hoping the Bucs have to waste practice time preparing for him.

Dutchrudder
11-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Why?

Because hamstrings usually don't return to 100% in a matter of weeks. Even if he feels like it's 95% recovered, there is still a good risk of re-injury. Rest is the best form of recovery for that injury, we need that hammy strong for January!

HOU-TEX
11-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Ha! Kubiak has been saying the same thing every week since AJ went down.

I'm ready to see AJ play, but don't expect anything until after the bye

dream_team
11-09-2011, 05:30 PM
He ain't gonna play. The Texans are just hoping the Bucs have to waste practice time preparing for him.

This! I think coaches are vague about injuries to throw their opponents off. The Bucs will have to waste some time on "if Andre plays".

thunderkyss
11-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Because hamstrings usually don't return to 100% in a matter of weeks. Even if he feels like it's 95% recovered, there is still a good risk of re-injury. Rest is the best form of recovery for that injury, we need that hammy strong for January!

No chance of reinjury.

This wasn't an injury to the muscle. There was no tear that will re-aggravate itself.

This was an injury to the tendon that held one of the hamstring muscles to Andre's knee. It was surgically severed, (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1820785&postcount=53) it is no longer connecting the semitendosus muscle to his knee

http://img.tfd.com/mk/H/X2604-H-01A.png

It is as if it isn't even there.

If Andre injures something, one of the other hamstring muscles, it would be a new injury; totally possible as they try to compensate for the missing tendon.

Andre will not be 100%, he'll never be 100% unless he has offseason surgery to reconnect the semitendosus tendon to his knee.

CloakNNNdagger
11-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Look at what Austin Miles has gone through with Jerry having pressured him to return. Just like the 4-week stretch he was out in preseason with a hamstring, then the same back in late September through early October, and now once again it's a hamstring injury that is expected to keep him out another 3-4 weeks at least.

Even though AJ is dealing with another type of hamstring-related "issue" with its release, too much too soon is just as likely to set him back for a PRODUCTIVE return.

disaacks3
11-09-2011, 06:55 PM
I really don't want him to play. We'll be good without him at the Bucs. Just make sure he's back after the bye week.

Go Texans. 6-3

I wish I had your confidence....I'd REALLY like to have AJ back for Redzone/goal-line mismatches this week. This is not going to be a cakewalk.

thunderkyss
11-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Look at what Austin Miles has gone through with Jerry having pressured him to return. Just like the 4-week stretch he was out in preseason with a hamstring, then the same back in late September through early October, and now once again it's a hamstring injury that is expected to keep him out another 3-4 weeks at least.

What happened to Austin & a lot of the players I think is due to the lockout & the short offseason.

It was Austins other leg that was hurt earlier.

Norg
11-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Its simple really if hes rdt to go and even he says hes rdy and. Both parties are cool then suit him up. ...... But dont play him only play him if we are losing in the 4th qtr or something lol

ObsiWan
11-09-2011, 07:24 PM
1 hour ago

Good idea?

Chron.com

It’s likely that Johnson will miss a sixth game and have the open date before returning Nov. 27 at Jacksonville. Kubiak hasn’t ruled out Johnson against Tampa Bay.
“There’s still a possibility,” Kubiak said. “He’s on schedule. Everything’s going well, but it’ll be a weekend decision again.”
john.mcclain@chron.com

thunderkyss
11-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Chron.com“There’s still a possibility,” Kubiak said. “He’s on schedule. Everything’s going well, but it’ll be a weekend decision again.”
john.mcclain@chron.com

I bet McClain has Aj on his fantasy team & Kubiak is just screwing with him.

:kitten:

ObsiWan
11-09-2011, 07:29 PM
I bet McClain has Aj on his fantasy team & Kubiak is just screwing with him.

:kitten:

:lol:

TheMatrix31
11-09-2011, 07:29 PM
The Bucs aren't wasting time preparing for him. If we know he's not gonna play, so do they.

jtexas
11-09-2011, 07:35 PM
The Bucs aren't wasting time preparing for him. If we know he's not gonna play, so do they.

I don't think they are worried about our passing game. They should be concerned they wont have the ball more than 2 minutes a quarter with our ground game.

ObsiWan
11-09-2011, 07:37 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking this too. Although Kubiak has said "well, maybe" too many times already to be believeable any more.

TimeKiller
11-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Side note...

Anybody notice the "Texans will have trouble running without Andre getting double coverage" myth is pretty much gone?

Oh he's totally gonna play. Wink.

thunderkyss
11-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Side note...

Anybody notice the "Texans will have trouble running without Andre getting double coverage" myth is pretty much gone?

We did have trouble running without AJ against good defenses.

BattleRedSnoop
11-09-2011, 09:22 PM
I wish I had your confidence....I'd REALLY like to have AJ back for Redzone/goal-line mismatches this week. This is not going to be a cakewalk.

Yea it's DEFINITELY not gonna be a cakewalk. But this is the kind of test that I want them to have. If they can pull of a decisive win in Tampa where they beat the Falcons and the Saints that will be a bigger confidence booster than they are already playing with. Foster and Tate and the O-Line are all playing Pro-Bowl-esque football and Tampa can't defend the rush. I have faith that we'll go into the bye week 7-3.

Go Texans. 6-3 #BattleRedNation

CloakNNNdagger
11-09-2011, 10:01 PM
What happened to Austin & a lot of the players I think is due to the lockout & the short offseason.

It was Austins other leg that was hurt earlier.

I agree, the lockout and short offseason has had an immense effect on NFL injuries this season.

Austin's 1st hamstring was the left.........his 2nd hamstring was an aggravation of the left........it was very evident that his hamstring was still bothering him even when he returned to action following the Cowboys' Week 5 bye and gained 74 yards receiving..........he appeared noticeably "gimpier" in the next 2 games prior to his last hamstring injury, managing only 16 and 27 yards, respectively.........indeed, in the next game, the last Cowboys game, he managed a Grade II tear to his right hamstring instead of his left........a classic case of a non-fully healed muscle tear leading to compensating the stress to the other limb.

run-david-run
11-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Side note...

Tell that to the Raiders.

drunkcookie
11-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Tell that to the Raiders.

Yah, and at the time i believe the Raiders had an average at best run defense (i think).. but it was the first full game without Dre, and it ran into the Baltimore game... Since then the offensive game-plan has been adjusted well to help clean out the box a little IMO... More bootlegs and more TEs lining up outside... They may have it figured out...

jradMIT
11-10-2011, 01:48 PM
I hope they have figured it out. Because it seemed Baltimore and Oakland just stacked the box and shot the gaps and were able to clog up the cut back lanes. Tenessee did try but they weren't getting any push up front. Jacksonville did a good job shooting the gaps with LB's. Cleveland for some inexplicable reason (or maybe explainable considering how bad they are) didn't stack the box or shoot the gaps with blitzing Lb's and just stood their and took a beating. I think Schaub has got to do a better job with hard counts and cadence, change the snap count up, get them to the line faster so he can get the D to show their hand.

EllisUnit
11-10-2011, 04:42 PM
http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-Johnson-on-schedule-but-held-out-of-2260564.php

held out of practice wed........not looking good.

Ryan
11-10-2011, 04:44 PM
McClain_on_NFL John McClain
Andre Johnson said he's almost full speed, no longer feels pull in back of his leg and will run Friday before deciding if he's going to play

CloakNNNdagger
11-10-2011, 05:02 PM
McClain got it from Scurfield.

John McClain
McClain_on_NFL John McClain
Andre Johnson said he's almost full speed, no longer feels pull in back of his leg and will run Friday before deciding if he's going to play
21 minutes ago

@NickScurfield Nick Scurfield
Andre Johnson said he no longer feels tugging in his right leg when he runs and hasn't for the past couple of days
43 minutes ago via TweetCaster for Android

paycheck71
11-10-2011, 06:45 PM

I think, unlike us, the Bucs can't afford to be wrong about this and not be prepared if he does play. So, I think they're wasting at least some, even if not much, time on AJ.

gary
11-10-2011, 07:14 PM
The Texans should win this game without AJ but hopefully he is ready for the birds game.

ThaShark316
11-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Guessing, but I think he'll be ready for JAX after the bye.:texanbill:

TexansFanatic
11-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Andre will not be 100%, he'll never be 100% unless he has offseason surgery to reconnect the semitendosus tendon to his knee.

I'm not doubting you for a second. I've also seen Cloak write about this.

Having said that, my question is: How do you know this?

None of this has been in the press (and that's a good thing, let the opposition game plan for him thinking he's going to be 100%). So I'm just wondering how you know.

run-david-run
11-11-2011, 05:58 AM
I hope they have figured it out. Because it seemed Baltimore and Oakland just stacked the box and shot the gaps and were able to clog up the cut back lanes. Tenessee did try but they weren't getting any push up front. Jacksonville did a good job shooting the gaps with LB's. Cleveland for some inexplicable reason (or maybe explainable considering how bad they are) didn't stack the box or shoot the gaps with blitzing Lb's and just stood their and took a beating. I think Schaub has got to do a better job with hard counts and cadence, change the snap count up, get them to the line faster so he can get the D to show their hand.

It is an interesting question. Chicken or the egg type. It seems the last few games we've been throwing deep a lot (with little to no success, but it does force the defense to keep someone back there). I don't remember how much we threw deep against Oakland or Baltimore (the Jones TD aside).

I hope it's an adjustment on our end, along with finally having Foster and Tate healthy at the same time, and not just a decrease in competition. We probably won't get much of an answer Sunday, as Tampa is below average against the run and just lost it's main man in the middle (McCoy).

Naiirb
11-11-2011, 02:00 PM
NickScurfield Nick Scurfield
Texans WR Andre Johnson will not play this week, coach Gary Kubiak just announced

Pantherstang84
11-11-2011, 02:07 PM
NickScurfield Nick Scurfield
Texans WR Andre Johnson will not play this week, coach Gary Kubiak just announced

Four weeks ago I said don't expect him until after the bye. People thought I was nuts.

El Tejano
11-11-2011, 02:11 PM
This sux. I want to win this game. It would do loads for our team to win on the road. Guess we will have to do it the hard way.

Texn4life
11-11-2011, 02:13 PM
There is no way that we can't win this game handily. If we run the ball and pay defense the way we are capable of then it won't matter if AJ is out there. Let the big guy get full confidence in his leg and let him wreak havoc on our opponents the rest of the year!

TexansBlood
11-11-2011, 03:27 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7220466/houston-texans-rule-wr-andre-johnson-eye-return

TexanSam
11-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Damn! I know it's the right move and all, but I just want to see him out there!

djohn2oo8
11-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Damn! I know it's the right move and all, but I just want to see him out there!

Yeah, but it's the hamstring, and it's better to be safe than sorry. Look at how Dallass handled Miles Austin. He injured his hamstring early, they rushed him back, and he reaggravated and is out for some time.

thunderkyss
11-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Yeah, but it's the hamstring, and it's better to be safe than sorry. Look at how Dallass handled Miles Austin. He injured his hamstring early, they rushed him back, and he reaggravated and is out for some time.

It is not Aj's hamstring. At least not the way most people think of it. This is more like DD's injury. Aj needs to understand that what he's got now, is all he's going to get... they pretty much made one of the Hamstring muscle's useless. If he's expecting to have the same power in that leg that he's used to, it isn't going to happen.

Austin injured his other hamstring. Left hamstring Early in the season, right hamstring recently....... not exactly applicable to your argument.

pirbroke
11-11-2011, 05:37 PM
It is not Aj's hamstring. At least not the way most people think of it. This is more like DD's injury. Aj needs to understand that what he's got now, is all he's going to get... they pretty much made one of the Hamstring muscle's useless. If he's expecting to have the same power in that leg that he's used to, it isn't going to happen.

Austin injured his other hamstring. Left hamstring Early in the season, right hamstring recently....... not exactly applicable to your argument.

So how should this effect Aj. Is it just top speed or making cuts, start speed etc. etc. And how much percentage wise in your opinion will he lose on each type of athletic movement.

thunderkyss
11-11-2011, 05:46 PM
So how should this effect Aj. Is it just top speed or making cuts, start speed etc. etc. And how much percentage wise in your opinion will he lose on each type of athletic movement.

I think it isn't fair to put a number on it.... he won't be the same.

He needs to have surgery this off-season to attempt to reattach the muscle. After that, it would be possible that he could return to 100%

Endcoachment
11-11-2011, 07:43 PM
I think it isn't fair to put a number on it.... he won't be the same.

He needs to have surgery this off-season to attempt to reattach the muscle. After that, it would be possible that he could return to 100%

Why are you guys spreading unofficial news.

thunderkyss
11-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Why are you guys spreading unofficial news.

Go back & read CnD's description of the procedure Andre had. He did not sprain a Hamstring like Arian, Hillis, or Austin did. There was a partial tear of the tendon that connects the Semitendinosus muscle to his knee.

http://img.tfd.com/mk/H/X2604-H-01A.png

Read this post (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1819321&postcount=396) again. The bottom line, there was no damage to the muscle (which is your avg hamstring injury), there was a partial tear to one of the tendons that connects one of the hamstring muscles to the knee. The doctors did not repair the tendon, they completely severed it, which relieved the pain.

Imagine you have a slingshot with 4 rubber bands connecting the cradle to the yoke. 2 rubber bands on either side. Imagine one of those rubber bands snap. Instead of repairing that rubber band, you completely remove it.

That is what they did to Andre's leg. Now, you have to compensate where you aim to get similar performance from your sling-shot, but it will never propel that rock with the same velocity until you replace that 4th rubber band.

Hopefully they'll be able to re-attach Andre's muscle in the offseason & he'll be 100% next year, but it will not happen this year, it is impossible.

The only thing that has to heal on Andre is the cut they made the incision to get to his tendon (probably 2 or 3, not very big). The soreness he is feeling is his body learning to compensate for the "missing" muscle. There is a possibility of some excess scarring to the tendon that was surgically severed, which may cause abnormal swelling or pain in the knee.

Most important. This is not a normal hamstring injury where you want him to take his time getting back from. In those cases, you are worried about the muscle fully healing so it isn't reaggravated.

There was no damage to the muscle, the affected tendon was completely severed, so it can not be re aggravated.

The Pencil Neck
11-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Four weeks ago I said don't expect him until after the bye. People thought I was nuts.

People don't think your nuts because you said 4 weeks ago that Andre wasn't going to be back until after the buy.

We have a whole other array of reasons why we think you're nuts.