PDA

View Full Version : Where are all these BANDWAGON Muff-huggas coming from?!

Pages : [1] 2

Dread-Head
11-08-2011, 11:35 AM
The same idiots who a couple of years ago would ask: "Who's your team?" then would reply "Man they SUCK!" when you said the Texans, are now walking around with jerseys and jackets on acting as if they've ALWAYS been here. :headhurts: Sorry I'd rather be around some straight up Texan HATERS than the fair weather fans who only love them because they're winning. The REAL fans are the ones who've been here since that first win against the Cowgirls. REAL fans remember holding on to hope in the David Carr, Dom Capers Charlie Casterly days, we remember the under 500 seasons and REMAINED and will no matter HOW the rest of this season turns out. The fair weather fans need to just keep their mouths shut, because if the Texans blow a playoff game they'll be the first ones going on channel 11, 13 and 2 and saying "I knew they weren't gonna win...".
In my opinion if you've ever sat next to Either Joe or Bill during a game...you can hold your head high and call yourself a true Texan fan.

jaayteetx
11-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Haven't done that last part but I've done the rest thats for damn sure. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned, maybe they'll start to be on tv more so I won't have to get the ticket...naah, that will never happen here, damn cowgirl lovers.

drs23
11-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Haven't "ever sat next to Either Joe or Bill during a game" but I sat by JB and close to SheTexan in the bullpen and have hung with the Blue Crew 1/2 dozen times.

Can I still post? :worm:

TexansFanatic
11-08-2011, 12:10 PM
I was a fan of the Texans before they even existed. I religiously followed the development of the Texans organization when it was just a gleam in Bob McNair's eye---before it was even known as "the Texans" organization.

I was a member of an online forum that was created in in the late 90's in anticipation of the choice the NFL was going to make between Los Angeles and Houston as the recipient of the next expansion franchise. I loved giving L.A. fans crap, telling them they didn't stand a chance.

Having said all that, I'm not going to crown myself one of the holy arbiters of anyone else's commitment to the Texans. Whoever wants to cheer for my team is a friend of mine.

And I'm sure Bob McNair loves him some bandwagon fans.

Kimmy
11-08-2011, 12:10 PM
I got a Texans tattoo during the 2/14 season. Can I still post? LOL

Texanmike02
11-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Sat Next to Joe or Bill? That is the requirement? Hmm... How about driven from shreveport to catch an average of 4-5 games a year for the last 4 years?

How about the fact that I still have emails from 2002 at my email address, "texansfan4life@....."? Do I qualify?

Mike

Mr teX
11-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Ehh, get used to it, houston is a fairweather fan town....Always has been.

alphajoker
11-08-2011, 12:14 PM
in my opinion if you've ever sat next to either joe or bill during a game...you can hold your head high and call yourself a true texan fan.

lmao...I had to wake up at 2am to watch the Texans 1st ever regular season game against the Cowputas when I was stationed in Germany. I thought I was a pretty good fan to do that since
I didn't have to go to work until 7am later that day. However, I've been to many games with my best friend Joe so I guess then that makes me a true fan. There were a few times too, that the guy
sitting next to me looked like a Bill. Does that count?

brakos82
11-08-2011, 12:17 PM
In my opinion if you've ever sat next to Either Joe or Bill during a game...you can hold your head high and call yourself a true Texan fan.

And must not be able to smell.

:facepalm: Bill!

Jackie Chiles
11-08-2011, 12:32 PM
I say we grant amnesty. Some of them are bound to jump off the bandwagon when things don't go right but some are getting in for keeps. No way to tell for sure at this point which ones fit each category. And as long as we remember our roots who really cares?

Double Barrel
11-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Ehh, get used to it, houston is a fairweather fan town....Always has been.

yep, I was going to say the same thing. We have always had a small group of hardcore football fans, but Houstonians have a history of being front runners. Show up when teams are good, but fade away when they suck.

I chuckle at all my FaceBook "friends" who now wear the gear and post pics of themselves at the games and tailgating. I don't care where they were during 2-14. I know their nature and it is what it is.

The NFL needs these casual fans to pay for it's product. That's just the way it works, and the rest of us devoted fanatics have to learned to accept it and live with it. I don't understand the gripe.

cuppacoffee
11-08-2011, 12:40 PM
I say we grant amnesty. Some of them are bound to jump off the bandwagon when things don't go right but some are getting in for keeps. No way to tell for sure at this point which ones fit each category. And as long as we remember our roots who really cares?

Could be ex-cowgirl fans.

We will have them around until the girls start winning again.

Looks like they will be here for awhile.

:coffee:

b0ng
11-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Texans fandom should be measured by regdates. Not post counts or rep points.

Shaft75
11-08-2011, 12:42 PM
The same idiots who a couple of years ago would ask: "Who's your team?" then would reply "Man they SUCK!" when you said the Texans, are now walking around with jerseys and jackets on acting as if they've ALWAYS been here. :headhurts: Sorry I'd rather be around some straight up Texan HATERS than the fair weather fans who only love them because they're winning. The REAL fans are the ones who've been here since that first win against the Cowgirls. REAL fans remember holding on to hope in the David Carr, Dom Capers Charlie Casterly days, we remember the under 500 seasons and REMAINED and will no matter HOW the rest of this season turns out. The fair weather fans need to just keep their mouths shut, because if the Texans blow a playoff game they'll be the first ones going on channel 11, 13 and 2 and saying "I knew they weren't gonna win...".
In my opinion if you've ever sat next to Either Joe or Bill or SHAFT75 in the shady endzone during a game...you can hold your head high and call yourself a true Texan fan.

Fixed it for you.

& PREACH on bro!

Texanmike02
11-08-2011, 12:47 PM

I dunno about that. There are some people on this board who were part of the old texans talk. Not only that but I go back to Houstonprofootballtalk.com now that is way back.

Mike

eriadoc
11-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Just ask them what they thought of Charles Hill or Ramon Walker.

Personally, I'm OK with them. Ever since I decided to stop paying the Texans money, I need people to subsidize the product so I can see it on TV.

eriadoc
11-08-2011, 12:54 PM

Texans fandom should be measured by a test about the '05 season.If you sat through that monstrosity (sec 323), you earned your stripes. If you were the last dumbass sitting in the entire section (sec 323) in the 4th quarter of the Pittsburgh game (the Sun Bowl), you earned your stripes.

If you were smart enough to avoid ruining your Sundays that season, you are worthy of esteem and respect for your intelligence.

Mr teX
11-08-2011, 12:58 PM
yep, I was going to say the same thing. We have always had a small group of hardcore football fans, but Houstonians have a history of being front runners. Show up when teams are good, but fade away when they suck.

I chuckle at all my FaceBook "friends" who now wear the gear and post pics of themselves at the games and tailgating. I don't care where they were during 2-14. I know their nature and it is what it is.

The NFL needs these casual fans to pay for it's product. That's just the way it works, and the rest of us devoted fanatics have to learned to accept it and live with it. I don't understand the gripe.

i do....mainly b/c its these fairweather fans that call the local radio shows and ask dumb ass questions or make stupid statements & make it obvious that they don't know what the hell they're talking about &/or haven't been following the team until now.

Nothing worse than riding into work on a Monday morning & hearing:

If we win....." Man, schaub tore them up yesterday, Outside of Brady & Manning, i think schaub's right there in that top 5 qb class!"............:rolleyes:

Now, If we lose.......... "I don't care that schaub threw for 465 yds & 3 TD's.......he still sucks b/c...."

:brickwall: i swear my head is about to explode sometimes listening to that drivel.

Dread-Head
11-08-2011, 01:02 PM
I was a fan of the Texans before they even existed. I religiously followed the development of the Texans organization when it was just a gleam in Bob McNair's eye---before it was even known as "the Texans" organization.

I was a member of an online forum that was created in in the late 90's in anticipation of the choice the NFL was going to make between Los Angeles and Houston as the recipient of the next expansion franchise. I loved giving L.A. fans crap, telling them they didn't stand a chance.

Having said all that, I'm not going to crown myself one of the holy arbiters of anyone else's commitment to the Texans. Whoever wants to cheer for my team is a friend of mine.

And I'm sure Bob McNair loves him some bandwagon fans.

I'm just glad they decided NOT to go with the "Rough-necks" as you KNOW everyone would have called us the "rednecks".

badboy
11-08-2011, 01:04 PM
A Texans fan is someone who will talk Texans with me and share a moment of emotion whether elation or depression. I could care less how long they have claimed to be a fan. I have been so disgusted I swore I'd never watch another game after last season. I have been so elated that many of you call me a dreamer.

Being a Texans fan is not about how much you spend on clothing or banners or foamy fingers, tickets, or how drunk you get at a tail gate event. It's not about whether you stand the entire game or just when the wave comes by. It isn't even about going to the game. Being a fan is what each individual decides for himself it is.

Dread-Head
11-08-2011, 01:06 PM
The REAL fans know who they are. I mentioned Joe and Bill as yard sticks. Didn't know so many people would take a brotha literally.

robroy72
11-08-2011, 01:06 PM
I've been a Texans fan since the 2006 season; thats when I moved here. My neighbor is a season ticket holder and took me along to a game, been hooked ever since.

Kthx
11-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Well I don't know about you guys but I have been a fan of the Texans since before football even existed. I don't think you can judge fandom based on rep points, join dates, or how many times you have posted. Just because someone is new to the forums doesn't mean they have sat at home, gone to games, or gone to a bar to have their hopes crushed week after grueling week for a decade of miserable football and heinous mental errors.

But seriously here, I don't really give a crap if people are starting to jump on the Texans bandwagon, I would rather see some Texans bumper stickers on cars instead of the two brand new Saints flags after they won the Superbowl or have to deal with ridiculous Romo apologizers.

Double Barrel
11-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Texans fandom should be measured by a test about the '05 season.If you sat through that monstrosity (sec 323), you earned your stripes. If you were the last dumbass sitting in the entire section (sec 323) in the 4th quarter of the Pittsburgh game (the Sun Bowl), you earned your stripes.

If you were smart enough to avoid ruining your Sundays that season, you are worthy of esteem and respect for your intelligence.

lol! Funny about your last sentence. I'm a glutton for punishment and sat through every second of 2-14 home games. Muttering something about it paying dividends down the road and convincing ourselves that this is what fans do. We'll be old men shaking our wrinkled fists when the Texans finally make it, but we were true to our team and all that jazz.

i do....mainly b/c its these fairweather fans that call the local radio shows and ask dumb ass questions or make stupid statements & make it obvious that they don't know what the hell they're talking about &/or haven't been following the team until now.

Nothing worse than riding into work on a Monday morning & hearing:

If we win....." Man, schaub tore them up yesterday, Outside of Brady & Manning, i think schaub's right there in that top 5 qb class!"............:rolleyes:

Now, If we lose.......... "I don't care that schaub threw for 465 yds & 3 TD's.......he still sucks b/c...."

:brickwall: i swear my head is about to explode sometimes listening to that drivel.

yeah, well, that's a good point. I have avoided sports talk because of the doofus callers. I tend to get my updates and interaction from this forum, where folks have to hold their own - or at least try - because there is a feedback loop.

I find that music is much more enjoyable than listening to the people that you mention, so might I suggest a good Pantera cd for you? :fingergun:

gtexan02
11-08-2011, 01:09 PM
I've been a fan since 03 or so and watched throughout the 2-14 season, and all the same family and friends who laughed at me then are now sporting gear and having watch parties.

And to that I say... more power to you. I wouldn't wish my kind of suffering on people. I'm masochistic I guess, but I'm not going to wish that kind of crap product on others :)

Good teams always pick up fair weather fans. If we start losing, they'll all just fall off the wagon and say "see I told you they suck." And thats fine.

As has been mentioned earlier, I'd rather have a stadium packed with half "die hards" and half "fair weathers" than half empty.

I don't like to grade people as "real" fans or not. It seems insecure. I know how much of a fan I am and thats good enough for me.

TexansFanatic
11-08-2011, 01:14 PM
I'm just glad they decided NOT to go with the "Rough-necks" as you KNOW everyone would have called us the "rednecks".

Ha! I forgot that was one of the possible names.

Here's a video of the unveiling of the team name, colors, and logo at an event that took place in downtown Houston back in 2000.

At the 23 second mark, I can be seen front and center, standing next to my ex-wife---the woman with the Jackie-O sunglasses and the bare shoulders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU4TfRD961c

Bought my first Texans t-shirt there that day----the very moment they first became available.

If you had told me that day that my new team wouldn't sniff the playoffs for ten years, I honestly wouldn't have been too surprised and I'd still be a fan.

TexansBlood
11-08-2011, 01:14 PM
This thread reminds me of when Shaub said something along the lines of "if you'r a fan you would stay through out the 4th quarter" a few yrs ago.

Dread-Head
11-08-2011, 01:16 PM
1. I've been a fan since 03 or so and watched throughout the 2-14 season, and all the same family and friends who laughed at me then are now sporting gear and having watch parties.

And to that I say... more power to you. I wouldn't wish my kind of suffering on people. I'm masochistic I guess, but I'm not going to wish that kind of crap product on others :)

Good teams always pick up fair weather fans. If we start losing, they'll all just fall off the wagon and say "see I told you they suck." And thats fine.

As has been mentioned earlier, 2. I'd rather have a stadium packed with half "die hards" and half "fair weathers" than half empty.

3. I don't like to grade people as "real" fans or not. It seems insecure. I know how much of a fan I am and thats good enough for me.

1. Illustrates my point.
2. Valid point...
3. Duly noted. I wasn't trying to be a jerk, I'm just not a fan of bandwagon types.

eriadoc
11-08-2011, 01:18 PM
This thread reminds me of when Shaub said something along the lines of "if you'r a fan you would still through out the 4th quarter" a few yrs ago.

My wife still hates Matt Schaub because of that statement. She makes no bones about it. Women are funny that way. She doesn't want him as our QB, she roots for the Texans to draft a QB, and she blasts Matt Schaub for every single mistake or incompletion. She hates him. Women can divest themselves of logic when they want.

Mr teX
11-08-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm not gonna lie, i have a real bias towards fairweather fans B/c i think there's something to be said for hanging in there with your team when things aren't great ........That tells me that there's a real bond there & that you live & die with the team.

TexansBlood
11-08-2011, 01:34 PM
My wife still hates Matt Schaub because of that statement. She makes no bones about it. Women are funny that way. She doesn't want him as our QB, she roots for the Texans to draft a QB, and she blasts Matt Schaub for every single mistake or incompletion. She hates him. Women can divest themselves of logic when they want.

Hahaha. I was pretty pissed at his statement also but got over it quick.

I think it comes down to like gtexan02 said who or how do you determine who a true fan is or who is a fairweather one?

3. I don't like to grade people as "real" fans or not. It seems insecure. I know how much of a fan I am and thats good enough for me. Repped

False Start
11-08-2011, 01:35 PM
http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/9150/txnsbwagon.jpg

Playoffs
11-08-2011, 01:44 PM
There's room for everyone.

BeerTastesLikeVictory
11-08-2011, 01:56 PM

I wasn't sitting at the games during 2005, but rather at a watering hole about 10 miles outside of Boston every Sunday that season with either a "HWSNBN" or Sharper Jersey on. The local Pat's fans either commended me for dedication or thought I was a little slow in the brain.

TexansFanatic
11-08-2011, 02:04 PM
The local Pat's fans either commended me for dedication or thought I was a little slow in the brain.

lmfao!

I think all Texans fans have to be at least a little slow in the brain. How else can you explain the dedication?

Texas T
11-08-2011, 02:07 PM
I've also been a fan since they announced that Houston was getting another team (I'm glad they didn't go with the Centurions, I'm betting noone would have been able to say that one correctly too many times). I was stationed in Germany, was wearing a Texans hat and everyone kept asking me who the hell they were!

I haven't lived in Texas since I joined the AF in '92 and finally got to attend my first live game last year (@ Redskins) and had a blast.

I've been rolling with "my" Texans, good or bad, since the beginning (I was never a really big computer guy-hence my late arrival at this site but now I'm religious about looking and reading).

paycheck71
11-08-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm new to this forum (been kind of reading it since last year, but only joined this season), but I've been a Texans fan pretty much since the Oilers left. When the NFL announced that they would add another expansion team back then, I followed the stadium/team financing plans and was happy to see LA crap their pants which gave us a chance.

I'm excited about this season. Bandwagon fans show up with any successful team, so it's a good sign!

DexmanC
11-08-2011, 02:12 PM
If your co-workers have given you shit for the collossal ways the Texans have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, noone can question whether you are a fan of this team.

The Pencil Neck
11-08-2011, 02:36 PM
http://www.cavesofice.org/~watson/albums/powerlifting/435_deadlift.jpg

That's me in late 2000 at an AAU meet deadlifting 435# in a Texans tee-shirt.

I didn't join Texans Talk until the Mario draft.

That's some of my evidence of fandom.

Doppelganger
11-08-2011, 02:39 PM

I gotta disagree with you here. I don't like the bandwagon fans, but their presence means the Texans are doing well. bandwagon fans only jump on a team that is playing well. The more bandwagon fans means the better the team is doing. I would rather have the team being super successful with millions of bandwagon fans than ineptitude.

Besides, remember this: as much as they cheer, as much money they spend on gear, as happy as they are when the team is successful, they will never equal your level of happiness when the team is successful. You have invested a lot in this team emotionally, and that can only be duplicated by a similar long term investment.

gtexan02
11-08-2011, 02:44 PM
If you've ever complained about poor national media coverage, low availability of merchandise in stores or online, cheap owners, no national games, etc then bandwagon fans are the cure for you!

Grams
11-08-2011, 02:46 PM
I have been a fan since they came out with the white helmuts.

But I have never sat beside anyone at a game. I have never been to a game, except in my own LR.

badboy
11-08-2011, 02:48 PM

That's some of my evidence of fandom.Thanks for clarifying it is you. Saw the long hair and thought it was David Carr.

corytx8
11-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Been a PSL owner since Day 1 and still am! I've gone through the hard years of the David Carr, Caspers, Chris Palmer, DD, Jamie Sharper, era then we went from worst to just boardline good. Now that I am stationed overseas, I have to get up 4 in the mornings on Monday mornings to get online to follow the texans game via yahoo sports.

Anyways, you know what team reminds me of the terrible Texans from the Carr era. The browns and Jags. Solid Denfense and offense...

NYCTexan
11-08-2011, 02:59 PM
I am guessing anyone who is on this forum and took the time to register, signin etc, is a fan. You don't have to go to games or post to be a fan. But what gets me is when fans feel ashamed of being from Houston because of the allegiance.

I live in NY and I have stayed true to my Texas roots. For being a Texans fan in NY is akin to voting republican at a lesbian convention.

I am proud to be from Texas and even got my New Yorker wife to say "we" when referring to my Texans. Ladies and Gentlemen, this is new territory for all of us and lets say humble and win with grace because god knows we had to learn to lose with humility as well.

I am a Texan.

NYCTexan
11-08-2011, 03:00 PM
....and speaking of which, I work for the network that airs Hard Knocks. I am going to try my best to push for the Texans to be on next season.

fiasco west
11-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Yeah thats just how it goes. It's a good thing though, it means your team is doing well.

Me as a Texan fan have never missed a game, it's mostly due to luck though but I hope to continue the streak for as long as possible.

Texan_Bill
11-08-2011, 03:26 PM
yep, I was going to say the same thing. We have always had a small group of hardcore football fans, but TRANSPLANT Houstonians have a history of being front runners. Show up when teams are good, but fade away when they suck.

Edited for a little clarity.

Texan_Bill
11-08-2011, 03:28 PM

That's some of my evidence of fandom.

Old school, low cut Chucks??!? Nice!!

gtexan02
11-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks for clarifying it is you. Saw the long hair and thought it was David Carr.

Ouch, thats cold

Texan_Bill
11-08-2011, 03:30 PM
And must not be able to smell.

:thinking: Speaking of which, I'll be back in a bit. :fingergun:

BeerTastesLikeVictory
11-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks for clarifying it is you. Saw the long hair and thought it was David Carr.

He was waiting for the Texans first win streak before he cut it.

The Pencil Neck
11-08-2011, 04:16 PM

Yeah, people confuse me with David Carr all the time.

Wolf
11-08-2011, 05:26 PM
funny, I thought about this the other day. I have seen me and another guy where something Texans over the past few years in Kerrville, well this year, I have seen at least 20 people in this little town with some kind of hat or t-shirt ..(more than i have seen in 10 years total)

guy at a bar last week sat down and said"nice hat" and he had a red Texans hat. I said "thanks" and we chatted a bit but the first thing out of his mouth was about Carr .. I wanted to face palm. anyway we chatted some more about the previous weeks game and he said something about the white guy TE .... I said "yeah, Owen Daniels and Joel Driessen have picked up the slack in AJ's time away" .. he was kinda quiet after that.. and my sense is that he hadn't a clue. In all fairness the guy was nice but it was funny and I expect more and more people to comment to me..

I have no problem with bandwagoners as a long as they don't become arrogant because it gives the rest of us a bad name.

I have two ways to tell if someone is pretty much a bandwagon fan and doesn't know much about the Texans(and some feel free to add on)

1) they talk about the David Carr
2) the 2006 draft.

michaelm
11-08-2011, 05:54 PM
I've sat through every second of every game since I was able to get my season tickets in 2006.

Here is my litmus test.

I left my seat in 649, and went down to a vacated seat in THE BULL PEN to watch the end of this game. The game was such a blowout in the 3rd, that even the Bullpen faithful had left the stadium for the most part, and I was able to sit two rows from the field.

I even saw myself on Sports Center that night with my hands clutched over my head in dissapointment as Rob Bironas' field goal went through the uprights to win the game for the tacks.

Join me... let's go back:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200710210htx.htm

Showtime100
11-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Anybody remember this as a possible logo?

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/ShowtimeN15580/Sports%20Logos/Texans_proposed.gif

Ugh. I like the one we have, thank you.

Double Barrel
11-08-2011, 05:58 PM
I've sat through every second of every game since I was able to get my season tickets in 2006.

Here is my litmus test.

I left my seat in 649, and went down to a vacated seat in THE BULL PEN to watch the end of this game. The game was such a blowout in the 3rd, that even the Bullpen faithful had left the stadium for the most part, and I was able to sit two rows from the field.

I even saw myself on Sports Center that night with my hands clutched over my head in dissapointment as Rob Bironas' field goal went through the uprights to win the game for the tacks.

ugh...I took my mom to her first game at Reliant, and this was the game. She was slowly turning into a Texans fan after clinging to her old Oiler ways. We had her...right there...until Bironas set the NFL record for FGs.

We still laugh at that game, because it was the first and only time that we (Texans Demolition Crew) were all hugging each other during that 29 point run in the 4th quarter.

Texan_Bill
11-08-2011, 05:59 PM

Here is my litmus test.

I should negative rep. you for that trip down memory lane! :gun:

;)

Kimmy
11-08-2011, 06:02 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa ...

I'd be mad ... but I do the same thing to Eric Winston ;)

michaelm
11-08-2011, 06:05 PM
ugh...I took my mom to her first game at Reliant, and this was the game. She was slowly turning into a Texans fan after clinging to her old Oiler ways. We had her...right there...until Bironas set the NFL record for FGs.

We still laugh at that game, because it was the first and only time that we (Texans Demolition Crew) were all hugging each other during that 29 point run in the 4th quarter.

How about this for something funny...
By the time the Texans started their come back, I was well inebriated. I mean, I was pretty freaking drunk, to be honest.
When the Texans took finally the lead, I was jumping up and down and shouting like crazy, which is not like me at all. I'm usually pretty low key.
Well, when they scored, I looked over at the lady next to me, and high fived her, and she said "are you crying?"... I just laughed and said "I dunno, maybe?"

thunderkyss
11-08-2011, 06:20 PM

This was me. I got into football pretty late in life really, mid 20s. But I was more of an NFC guy following Dallas & New Orleans (mainly because of my home-boy Jimmy Johnson & the best RB evah Ricky Williams).

Houston didn't have a team. I went to a game in the Super Dome & said, you know, it'd be cool if we had a team closer to home (Port Arthur).

Next thing you know LA screwed up & Houston is awarded a franchise.

Short of buying a PSL or season tickets, I followed the Texans as much as anyone. I was the only guy at our watch party in Texans gear as my Cowboy friends cried over 19-10.

But 3 or 4 games into the 2004 season, my passion, enthusiasm, & expectations for this team waned. I was so disinterested in football at that time.... Cowboys weren't crap, Saints weren't crap....

I didn't regain that passion until they fired Dom Capers & I found out we were getting the OC from Denver.

Fairweather..... maybe I am. But I ain't goin nowhere (my PSL pretty much guarantees that)

ObsiWan
11-08-2011, 06:26 PM

Well that's not fair. I wasted - okay, maybe 'wasted' is too strong - I spent two years posting over at HT.com before I knew this site existed.

Txn_in_FL
11-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Not only that but I go back to Houstonprofootballtalk.com now that is way back.

Mike

This. I've been around awhile and it's been interesting to see people come and go and the same threads pop up every season.

I was asked last week if I was ready for my bandwagon to start filling up. It's both good and bad I suppose, but at least it let's you know your team is on the upswing.

I've been putting up with this crap for quite some time, alone and unafraid. I've gotten used to it and anywhere I go I've become the "Texan guy" and I'm quite happy with it.

:fans:

ObsiWan
11-08-2011, 06:31 PM
A Texans fan is someone who will talk Texans with me and share a moment of emotion whether elation or depression. I could care less how long they have claimed to be a fan. I have been so disgusted I swore I'd never watch another game after last season. I have been so elated that many of you call me a dreamer.

Being a Texans fan is not about how much you spend on clothing or banners or foamy fingers, tickets, or how drunk you get at a tail gate event. It's not about whether you stand the entire game or just when the wave comes by. It isn't even about going to the game. Being a fan is what each individual decides for himself it is.

That's very Zen of you.
Arian would be proud.
:fingergun:

Showtime100
11-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Well that's not fair. I wasted - okay, maybe 'wasted' is too strong - I spent two years posting over at HT.com before I knew this site existed.

Agreed. When you got here says nothing about fandom. I simply was late getting on computers for one. The second thing was I heard nothing but bad things about Texans boards.

I signed up in December '06 (having been a Texan from the start) and realized on that very first day I must have heard all those bad things about the Texans board from people that didn't play well with others. I saw that day and still believe this board is one of the best in the country.

SheTexan
11-08-2011, 06:35 PM
I have to admit I get kinda pissed at some of the newbies. For instance: I was chatting with a gal in my section Sunday and she was mouthy about how much she LOVED AJ, bragged about how much she spent on an autographed pic of him, how she can't wait to see us in the playoffs, etc, etc, a lot of fluffy BS! I wanted to ask her SOOOOOOO badly if she was such a great Texan fan WHY did she have on a brown tee shirt!? DUMBASS IMHO, and I detest fans like that. She wanted to brag, but, didn't have the smarts to wear a cheap Texan tee to a game when we played the friggin Browns!! I truly think she was clueless as to what team we were playing. I remained quiet, but, I can tell ya for sure I wanted to speak my mind.

Bandwagon fans stand out like a sore thumb. Just get into a simple conversation with one of them and I bet the only names they know are Andre Johnson and maybe Arian Foster. It's really kinda fun to lead them on, and show them what a true DIEHARD TEXAN fan is all about! We KNOW our team!! We have lived TEXAN football for 10 years, and some of us have been there since before Daddy Bob signed on the dotted line! This is our journey, and I really don't care who jumps on the damn wagon, just don't get in my way WHEN we reach the top and I'm standing there watching AJ and Meco holding up the Lombardi!! If all I get out of this journey is a flippin picture, then I will not be denied!!!:texan:

disaacks3
11-08-2011, 06:46 PM
I have to admit I get kinda pissed at some of the newbies. For instance: I was chatting with a gal in my section Sunday and she was mouthy about how much she LOVED AJ, bragged about how much she spent on an autographed pic of him, how she can't wait to see us in the playoffs, etc, etc, a lot of fluffy BS! I wanted to ask her SOOOOOOO badly if she was such a great Texan fan WHY did she have on a brown tee shirt!? DUMBASS IMHO, and I detest fans like that. She wanted to brag, but, didn't have the smarts to wear a cheap Texan tee to a game when we played the friggin Browns!! I truly think she was clueless as to what team we were playing. I remained quiet, but, I can tell ya for sure I wanted to speak my mind.

Bandwagon fans stand out like a sore thumb. Just get into a simple conversation with one of them and I bet the only names they know are Andre Johnson and maybe Arian Foster. It's really kinda fun to lead them on, and show them what a true DIEHARD TEXAN fan is all about! We KNOW our team!! We have lived TEXAN football for 10 years, and some of us have been there since before Daddy Bob signed on the dotted line! This is our journey, and I really don't care who jumps on the damn wagon, just don't get in my way WHEN we reach the top and I'm standing there watching AJ and Meco holding up the Lombardi!! If all I get out of this journey is a flippin picture, then I will not be denied!!!:texan:

Are you still pissed that the guy behind you stole the "launched t-shirt" out of your hands? :neener:

Yep, some of us have been here for the long haul. I didn't know Preston and Gma before the Canton game, but I sure saw them there. Good times and lousy weather that day!

Texan_Bill
11-08-2011, 06:47 PM

I have to get on the wagon because I keep falling off of it... Oh wait, different subject. :fingergun:

brakos82
11-08-2011, 06:52 PM
I have to get on the wagon because I keep falling off of it... Oh wait, different subject. :fingergun:

TexansBull
11-08-2011, 09:11 PM
There are four classes of fans:

1. Die Hard Intellectuals
2. Die Hard homers(myself)
3. Late to the Party Fans
4. Band Wagon

Let me know if there should be a class added. A please, no class warfare.

I think its hard to gauge a person's fandom. For example, I trolled the origanal board for a long time, then finnaly joined this joined this board. So length of time on a board is hard to measure because some people just like to read what others say. Beside not all season ticket holders are members of this board.

On a side note, I have been a die hard homer since the Houston beat LA to get a franchise. Since then, I have been through the ups and downs and married into a Cowboys family/cult. The little kids think the Cowboys are going to the superbowl every year even though none of them were alive when they last won one. :foottap:

TexansFanatic
11-08-2011, 09:19 PM
I have been through the ups and downs and married into a Cowboys family/cult. The little kids think the Cowboys are going to the superbowl every year even though none of them were alive when they last won one. :foottap:

The horror!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_AkHeUaEva5k/RfNT5GUDbSI/AAAAAAAAA7w/1qXDdxH3x-U/s400/Apocalypse%2BNow%2BBrando%2Bthe%2Bhorror.jpg

HTown2ATX
11-08-2011, 09:37 PM
When the Texans had their 1st inagural season, months before a game was played once the schedule came out, Kroger had these different 8oz glass Coke bottle six packs with the Texans logo on different desings and the cardboard case was a picture of Reliant and had the schedule on it. There were 4 or 5 sets of these...........I bought them all.......and so my money began to bleed out for Texans gear.

As of now, if you could see my apartment..........I have wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too much shit from gameday gear, to jerseys, lights, signs, clothes for me, kid and dogs, misc gear, signed shit. etc. Thousands of $ in gear I either bought or got as gifts.

Hell you should see my desk at work lol.

I know having gear doesn't "make you a fan", but I would think all the money I have blown on them helps my case :D

Also, I have watched and been a fan and taken my lumps and gone to every game I was fortunate enough to go to from start to finish, no showing up late or leaving early....and that includes the game against the Steelers in 2005 I believe it was when we all fried with the roof open that cause the 80-50 rule....and we were in the sun.

Losses piss me off and ruin my day and big wins get me high as a kite and I already locked my kid up as a future fan so yeah, I consider myself a diehard too lol.

:htown2atx:

NitroGSXR
11-08-2011, 09:39 PM
I've been on the wrong wagon all these years. Too many grumpy blowhards onboard this one. Where's the bandwagon at? I'm jumping on! I wanna enjoy this while it lasts. GOOOOOO TEXANS!!!!

:fans::texan::fans:

Texanmike02
11-08-2011, 11:04 PM
This. I've been around awhile and it's been interesting to see people come and go and the same threads pop up every season.

I was asked last week if I was ready for my bandwagon to start filling up. It's both good and bad I suppose, but at least it let's you know your team is on the upswing.

I've been putting up with this crap for quite some time, alone and unafraid. I've gotten used to it and anywhere I go I've become the "Texan guy" and I'm quite happy with it.

:fans:

In a lot of ways I have kind of become "Texanmike" outside of the board. Every message board (even my own) that I'm on, I am Texanmike. My jersey (that my loving girlfriend got for my birthday yesterday) says "texanmike" on the back as well as the hat she got me. People don't call me "texanmike" but if someone says "Mike? which one" it is always "Mike.. you know.. the Texans fan". "ooooohhhh yeah". LOL. Lovin' it.

Mike

House of Pain
11-09-2011, 02:32 AM
I was really excited when I found out Houston was getting the NFL team instead of LA. I was holding out hope they would achieve the impossible, and as luck would have it, Bob McNair pulled off a major coup.

My father had been taking my brother and I to Oilers games since as long as I can remember. I was completely crushed when Bud announced they were moving my beloved team to a meth lab (edit: Nashville). I couldn't believe that after all those years of the Oilers being shitty, finally, Fisher had them going...and now that's all gone.

I was at school in Austin, and watched as many games as I could. Mr. Mittens kinda made it harder to watch the games and I haven't missed a game since Kubiak became HC.

I don't really like bandwagon fans, but there are a lot of positives that have already been listed about their existence.

Being a Texans fan since their inception is something I wouldn't wish on anyone. My emotional scars from the Oilers and Texans make me a nervous wreck when I watch games and as a result, have damaged several relationships over the years. Recently, I was able to discuss the 'Babin trade' without curling into a ball on the floor and I see that as progress.

After all of the Texans fan lows, I had an experience that lets me know that Texans fan can now see the daylight. I was in Austin at a music fest on Sunday after the game. I was wearing my Texans shirt and some dude gave me the old 'Go Texans!' yell and it startled me, yet upon catching my snaps, reciprocated. I say we welcome our bandwagon counterparts and teach them that it's NOT OKAY TO DO THE WAVE ON OFFENSE.

:kitten:

eriadoc
11-09-2011, 02:43 AM
There are four classes of fans:

1. Die Hard Intellectuals
2. Die Hard homers(myself)
3. Late to the Party Fans
4. Band Wagon

Let me know if there should be a class added. A please, no class

There are the intellectuals who wanted to be and were Die Hard Homers, but when the team kept killing their buzz, logic took over and they fell more into the Die Hard Intellectuals camp. They have since devolved into Die Hard Cynics wishing for fulfillment so they can go back to being Die Hard Homers.

I don't know anyone like that personally, of course.

SheTexan
11-09-2011, 07:14 AM
Are you still pissed that the guy behind you stole the "launched t-shirt" out of your hands? :neener:

Yep, some of us have been here for the long haul. I didn't know Preston and Gma before the Canton game, but I sure saw them there. Good times and lousy weather that day!

Yea Dan, I should be pissed at him, BUT, he's a good Texan fan and fun to be around. He gave the shirt to a little girl.

The HOF game is one of my fondest memories being a Texan fan! I still remember the stares I got from Giants fans when I broke down and bawled when our team ran out on the field for the first time! I was one PROUD Texan fan that day, and have remained one everyday since. It's been a long ten years, but, I would not trade the memories for anything. I've never wavered in my belief that ONE day I would see my team become an elite team, and make it to the bigshow before I go on to football heaven.

I met Preston on the Internet long before the final decision was made that Houston would get a team. We have been good friends ever since. We went to the first "get together" of Texan fans at Jillians on I-10 before we ever played our first game. We went to the unveiling of the colors, name, an logo in downtown Houston, and every other event the Texans held that first year. My family and I met him and Pete (aka Great8fan) in Canton for the HOF game, and all of us are original members of this FANtastic website that Kevin has provided. My Blue Crew family got it's start the Summer of 2002 and we've been together ever since. I say this to make a point. Bandwagon fans will always be around, BUT, they will never have the 10-12 yrs of memories that us diehards have made while we travel this road to stardom. Let them hoot and hollar and brag about whatever, I really don't care. I have something they will NEVER have, and that is my Texan family!!

TejasTom
11-09-2011, 07:27 AM
I've been a fan since 03 or so and watched throughout the 2-14 season ...

I took a lot of afternoon naps that year, starting around the 2:00 warning of of the first half.

Se˝or Stan
11-09-2011, 07:32 AM
. Since then, I have been through the ups and downs and married into a Cowboys family/cult. The little kids think the Cowboys are going to the superbowl every year even though none of them were alive when they last won one. :foottap:

I picture them looking like this....

http://deanoinamerica.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/186292_large-wild-kids1.jpg

TOMORROW MORROW LAND!!!
http://www.officialpsds.com/images/thumbs/Vince-Lombardi-Trophy-psd60197.png

CAPTAIN WALKER!!!!

http://www.footballbabble.com/images/romo.jpg

MRS. WALKER!!!

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/hash/36/eb/ex%20candice%20crawford%20crown_0.jpg

TejasTom
11-09-2011, 07:33 AM
... Cowboys family/cult. The little kids think the Cowboys are going to the superbowl every year even though none of them were alive when they last won one. :foottap:

I think I know them. We probably all know "the Cowboys cult" family.

TexansBull
11-09-2011, 11:25 PM
I think I know them. We probably all know "the Cowboys cult" family.

My wife and I met several years ago in the early David Carr era. Its been hard to save her, but I got her to a point that she wants to root for both. If I can only get her to chose one...:evil:

I have to admit I get kinda pissed at some of the newbies...
Bandwagon fans stand out like a sore thumb...

Newbies and bandwagoners are getting on my nerves too. A few are late to the party, but others are true bandwagoners. We need to develop an initiation right from this guy to share the pain and sacrifice we have been through:wild::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m_1hglRkPk

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0908/hi-i-am-gunny-seargent-hartman-demotivational-poster-1249993503.jpg

EllisUnit
11-09-2011, 11:40 PM

:fans: been here all along. Do we have a lot of "NEW" members on the board joining now our something ?

Pantherstang84
11-10-2011, 12:44 AM
I got a Texans tattoo during the 2/14 season. Can I still post? LOL

A pic of the tattoo? Sure.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
11-10-2011, 04:57 AM
Been posting here since '03 when it was the old HoustonTexans.com board. Stuck around when the official site went with a new forum design and gave TexansTalk this one to use after their board went down.

Tailgate
11-10-2011, 06:16 AM
Its gonna get way worse if this team is really who we are starting to think they are. I honestly think we have little idea of just how big our bandwagon is going to be...

thunderkyss
11-10-2011, 06:24 AM
Man!!!

I can't wait till we start winning. We'll show those Cowboy fans what it means to be arrogant. We'll show them Colt fans what it means to be smug. We'll show them Jag fans how to over react.

Pantherstang84
11-10-2011, 06:49 AM
Personally I think the whole premise of this thread Is BS. It's nothing but a @&$! measuring contest. You want to know who the real fans are? Let them start sucking again and see who is still around afterwards. The "fans" in Indianapolis know this all too well. Meanwhile just enjoy the success while it lasts. Yes the bandwagon will fill up. Just deal with it.

SAMURAITEXAN
11-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Newbees or not, we need our fan base to grow which allow Texans to expose nationally and help expand more market area/s. Meaning, some of fans live outside of Houston may able to watch more Texans games instead of other game. We need to get used to things like media attention and new fans which comes with success. Yes success, this is an evidence of how other people seeing Texans now. Just wait until we get into the playoffs, there will be more Newbees joining Texans bandwagon.

Go Texans!!!

Dread-Head
11-10-2011, 10:46 AM

...was that my cue...yeah yeah...right gotcha...(ahem) :facepalm: "Damn it Bill." Okay...you guys get that? Great I'll be in my trailer.

Dread-Head
11-10-2011, 10:50 AM
:fans: been here all along. Do we have a lot of "NEW" members on the board joining now our something ?

Actually I've just been seeing a bunch of bandwagon types all around the city and at work. It's annoying.

Texan_Bill
11-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Actually I've just been seeing a bunch of bandwagon types all around the city and at work. It's annoying.

Simple way to find out if they've been a fan all along: Ask them questions like, Who scored the first TD in franchise history.... Who returned the first punt for a TD?

If they don't fire off Billy Miller and Avion Black in a second, you have your answer.

Kgbmedic
11-10-2011, 11:58 AM
I look at fair weather fans as an oppurtunity to bring a new fan into the fold. This is someone who only knows about the team based on the recent news clips. Take to the time to educate some of them, there have been several people that stated they didn't become fans till someone took them to a game or introduced them to the Texans.

Granted you won't turn them all but if each of you try to get one more on board think of what that would do for our fan base. Just a thought.

Double Barrel
11-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Fairweather..... maybe I am. But I ain't goin nowhere (my PSL pretty much guarantees that)

That's funny, man, because you are far from a fairweather fan. These type of fans come and go. Come when they win, go when they lose.

But also funny because there is something very distinct that I vividly remember about you, and I know the exact date:

Most users ever online was 1,493, 04-28-2006 at 09:04 PM.

This stat is when the forum was at HT.com and is mentioned on the front page of the forum.

And this date is the night before the 2006 draft when they announced that Mario had been signed. This place was flooded with VY fanboys and Reggie Bush lovers.

But I remember you telling folks that Mario was a good pick, something we needed, and trying to convince people to let it play out.

No, man, you are definitely not fairweather when you're willing to go toe-to-toe against the tide of populist opinions, especially during that transition era.

Mad props to you. :texflag:

infantrycak
11-10-2011, 01:03 PM
No, man, you are definitely not fairweather when you're willing to go toe-to-toe against the tide of populist opinions, especially during that transition era.

Yeah. TK is under no definition a fair weather fan. We have banged heads on some football takes but there has never been a doubt he is a fan.

The Pencil Neck
11-10-2011, 04:10 PM
That's funny, man, because you are far from a fairweather fan. These type of fans come and go. Come when they win, go when they lose.

But also funny because there is something very distinct that I vividly remember about you, and I know the exact date:

Most users ever online was 1,493, 04-28-2006 at 09:04 PM.

This stat is when the forum was at HT.com and is mentioned on the front page of the forum.

And this date is the night before the 2006 draft when they announced that Mario had been signed. This place was flooded with VY fanboys and Reggie Bush lovers.

But I remember you telling folks that Mario was a good pick, something we needed, and trying to convince people to let it play out.

That was when I first came to HT.com and joined the forum. I hadn't taken part in any Texans forums prior to that. I had just been a fan existing in the wilderness all alone.

I came to HT.com, not as a VY or RB fanboy, but because I wanted to see what the reaction was from other Texans fans. I'd been hoping to trade back with the Jets (who needed a replacement for Curtis Martin) and then pick up D'Brick. But I liked the Mario pick.

There was such a firestorm about how bad the pick was, I needed to see how other fans felt about it.

OTOH, I was dead STOKED about getting Demeco.

Double Barrel
11-10-2011, 05:05 PM
That was when I first came to HT.com and joined the forum. I hadn't taken part in any Texans forums prior to that. I had just been a fan existing in the wilderness all alone.

I came to HT.com, not as a VY or RB fanboy, but because I wanted to see what the reaction was from other Texans fans. I'd been hoping to trade back with the Jets (who needed a replacement for Curtis Martin) and then pick up D'Brick. But I liked the Mario pick.

There was such a firestorm about how bad the pick was, I needed to see how other fans felt about it.

OTOH, I was dead STOKED about getting Demeco.

yeah, after the debacle of 2-14 and the VY hoopla...looking back that was a crazy time for Texans fans.

I was a big D'Brick guy, too, and I also wanted AJ Hawk. But I was fine with the Mario pick, even the night that they announced the signing.

We were having a b-day party for my son that night, so I kept sneaking off to check the forum for updates. It was all a bit surreal. One of those events that you remember like yesterday but also feels like such a long time ago. Crazy that it was over 5 years ago.

TexansBlood
11-10-2011, 05:12 PM

Seriously? You seen a few new being converted when we're only 6-3? Stop being so sensitive. What are you gonna do when we actually make the playoffs? Or rather when make it to the Superbowl in the future and the whole city of Houston starts supporting them from non-footall fans to the radio and tv stations and hundred of thousands of new fans jump on the wagon?

We have yet to accomplish anything and if your annoyed now by a few new fans then you might as well do yourself a favor HANG YOURSELF NOW!!

It actually makes me smile and happy when I see new people becoming fans.

BTW I have had season tickets for a few yrs now, this season im sitting in the bullpen but it does not make me more of a fan than the people sitting in the nose bleeds or the people watching the games in the comfort of their homes.

SheTexan
11-10-2011, 05:28 PM
I look at fair weather fans as an oppurtunity to bring a new fan into the fold. This is someone who only knows about the team based on the recent news clips. Take to the time to educate some of them, there have been several people that stated they didn't become fans till someone took them to a game or introduced them to the Texans.

Granted you won't turn them all but if each of you try to get one more on board think of what that would do for our fan base. Just a thought.

Good post!! WELCOME to TexansTalk!!!

Kthx
11-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Back in my day Texans fans had to walk a mile to the forums barefoot in the snow to pin hand written letters on a wooden message board near Acres Homes.

Big Lou
11-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Been on the Wagon since the inception, was thrilled to get a team back in Houston even though I moved for work in 1994, was an Oilers Fan from the Luv Ya Blue Days.

My first Texans Jersey was the first one you could buy the Deep Steel Blue with the number 32 and the name on the back was HOUSTON, wore that until we drafted HWSNBN. I remeber waiting to see the unveiling of the uniforms, I had to wait for it on the internet.

KA4Texan
11-10-2011, 06:37 PM
I think the mark of a true fan is based more on how many times you have lied to yourself saying "NEVER AGAIN"etc. only to return the next game day with the same energy as the day you swore you were done.

Only been on the forum about a year I guess but have been a Texans fan since day one, just never been much on forums.

I am a hometown fan, I was born and raised here and by God I will cheer for my home town team, hell or high water. (for sports I enjoy anyway)

IF I am considered a bandwagon fan, I aint packing my bags to get off this wagon, until the team packs its bags to move elsewhere.

dalemurphy
11-10-2011, 06:41 PM
I think the mark of a true fan is based more on how many times you have lied to yourself saying "NEVER AGAIN"etc. only to return the next game day with the same energy as the day you swore you were done.

Only been on the forum about a year I guess but have been a Texans fan since day one, just never been much on forums.

I am a hometown fan, I was born and raised here and by God I will cheer for my home town team, hell or high water. (for sports I enjoy anyway)

IF I am considered a bandwagon fan, I aint packing my bags to get off this wagon, until the team packs its bags to move elsewhere.

Maybe I should pull up my argument I made in 2004 comparing the progress of David Carr with the first three years of Troy Aikman. That should prove something... I'm not sure what, but something!

So*Cal
11-10-2011, 06:47 PM
I became a fan in 2009 when Brian Cushing got drafted. I'm a USC fan and Cush was one of my favorite players. I thought it was pretty cool that I moved to Houston in late 2008 and Cush ended up coming to Houston the following year.

Showtime100
11-10-2011, 06:52 PM
I became a fan in 2009 when Brian Cushing got drafted. I'm a USC fan and Cush was one of my favorite players. I thought it was pretty cool that I moved to Houston in late 2008 and Cush ended up coming to Houston the following year.

Welcome aboard. :) The keg is up front by the trailer hitch and and while your there fill mine up too....thanks. :D

The Pencil Neck
11-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Like some people have said... bring the Bandwagonners! Bring the fair weather fans!

The Texans winning will build the fanbase. Sure, some of those fans will dart at the first opportunity and stop being fans if the team stops winning, but some of them will stay and become hardcore/die hard fans.

We should WANT our team to be good enough that it starts convincing outsiders to become fans. We want our team to start winning people over.

brakos82
11-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Simple way to find out if they've been a fan all along: Ask them questions like, Who scored the first TD in franchise history.... Who returned the first punt for a TD?

If they don't fire off Billy Miller and Avion Black in a second, you have your answer.

Holy hell I forgot about that guy. :facepalm:

Double Barrel
11-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Like some people have said... bring the Bandwagonners! Bring the fair weather fans!

The Texans winning will build the fanbase. Sure, some of those fans will dart at the first opportunity and stop being fans if the team stops winning, but some of them will stay and become hardcore/die hard fans.

We should WANT our team to be good enough that it starts convincing outsiders to become fans. We want our team to start winning people over.

Exactly! Like Bob McNair said many years ago, let the Cowboys be "America's Team". We'll be Texas' team!

SheTexan
11-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Awwwwww! Lots of nostalgia, and I'm enjoying reading these post. Being a part of this MB has been a blessing, but, it does not identify anyone as diehard or bandwagoner. Lots of great fans out there who follow the team in their own individual way, and it's not fair to compare them just because they are not as vocal or involved as some of us. I simply enjoy seeing them out and about town. Makes my day when I see a young couple come in to have their baby and the Dad is sporting Texan gear rather than Cowboy! Puts a smile on my face to see more and more cars and trucks with Texan logo's on the back, or kids going to school with a Texan backpack. My lunch bag is a small Texan cooler, and I can't tell you how many people have stopped me to chat about the team. I went into Krogers's one Sunday morning about 0600 and met a family of about 6-7 sporting Texan jerseys buying stuff to tailgate with, at their own home. It's FUN guys, and that's what it's all about. I LOVE these fans! It's the one's that want to brag about being a fan "for life" but don't know squat about the ride this team has been on for nine years, that kinda irritate me. But, I choose to ignore those kind and enjoy the rest.

TexansFanatic
11-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Back in my day Texans fans had to walk a mile to the forums barefoot in the snow to pin hand written letters on a wooden message board near Acres Homes.

And we liked it!

http://dubsism.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/grumpy-old-man-dana-carvey.jpg

Wolf
11-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Houston Texans
The Houston Texans Mobile app is the #2 hottest iPhone sports app on iTunes. Text TEXANS to 51288 to download the free app and then rate it to get it ranked No. 1! Also available on Android and BlackBerry devices. http://bit.ly/gebmZA

from their facebook page.

Carr Bombed
11-12-2011, 02:07 PM

:vincepalm: My freaking mom who has always ragged on me for supporting (in her words) that "shitty team". Sent me a text message last week saying "Gooo!!! Texans, I always knew they could do it!"

I have never done the last part of your post (would love the opportunity though...maybe me and Bill can check the game out at a local Gentleman's establishment), but I'm still a die hard nonetheless.

I look at it this way, despite the fact that we may or may not agree on certain topics and fans deal with wins and losses different ways (glass half full or half empty), there isn't a poster on this board who isn't a die hard Texans fan, because "NORMAL PEOPLE" aren't ****ed in the head like we are and they don't devote this much time towards a team where they make daily posts on the internet about things they have absolutely no control over. We are the true definition of "fanatics". :)

fanatical [fəˈnŠtɪkəl]
adj
surpassing what is normal or accepted in enthusiasm for or belief in something; excessively or unusually dedicated or devoted
fanatically adv

Yep I think we all fall under that. :gun:

steelbtexan
11-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Pretty much everybody that spends their time on this MB is a true fan.

DX-TEX
11-12-2011, 03:38 PM

Fire Kubiak!

SheTexan
11-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Dread!! What is your definition of a "Muff-hugga:runaway:?"

House of Pain
11-12-2011, 04:03 PM

I gotta agree with you on this one. On this board, if you've got into a argument with someone about a backup OT, I think you are a true fan.

Dread-Head
11-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Seriously? You seen a few new being converted when we're only 6-3? Stop being so sensitive. What are you gonna do when we actually make the playoffs? Or rather when make it to the Superbowl in the future and the whole city of Houston starts supporting them from non-footall fans to the radio and tv stations and hundred of thousands of new fans jump on the wagon?

We have yet to accomplish anything and if your annoyed now by a few new fans then you might as well do yourself a favor HANG YOURSELF NOW!!

It actually makes me smile and happy when I see new people becoming fans.

BTW I have had season tickets for a few yrs now, this season im sitting in the bullpen but it does not make me more of a fan than the people sitting in the nose bleeds or the people watching the games in the comfort of their homes.

:headhurts: Wow...where the vugg did THAT come from? Relax kid, I was simply stating an opinion. It's easy to "love" an organization when it's doing great but truly giving a damn has to extend to when things are going bad also. THAT was my point...thanks for missing it entirely and telling me to kill myself as a remedy to either YOUR inability to grasp that or your apparent simple frustration with my attitude.

Incidentally...does anyone KNOW this young muff-hugga? His name aint ringing a bell?

Dread-Head
11-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Dread!! What is your definition of a "Muff-hugga:runaway:?"

it's a double entendre it COULD be either a phonetic version of Mother-Fvcker

OR someone who hugs muffs.

Muff: n. 1. cylinder shaped winter garment large enough to accommodate both hands being placed into it on opposing sides usually made of dense materials such as down and generally covered in the fur. Generally used by women in lieu of gloves or mittens.

Dread-Head
11-12-2011, 05:23 PM
:vincepalm: My freaking mom who has always ragged on me for supporting (in her words) that "shitty team". Sent me a text message last week saying "Gooo!!! Texans, I always knew they could do it!"

I have never done the last part of your post (would love the opportunity though...maybe me and Bill can check the game out at a local Gentleman's establishment), but I'm still a die hard nonetheless.

I look at it this way, despite the fact that we may or may not agree on certain topics and fans deal with wins and losses different ways (glass half full or half empty), there isn't a poster on this board who isn't a die hard Texans fan, because "NORMAL PEOPLE" aren't ****ed in the head like we are and they don't devote this much time towards a team where they make daily posts on the internet about things they have absolutely no control over. We are the true definition of "fanatics". :)

Yep I think we all fall under that. :gun:

NORMAL!? Muff-hugga who you callin' NORMAL!?

:jk:

HoustonFrog
11-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Heck, I'm a Cowboy fan and have been less fairweather than many Houstonians about the Texans. It's been hard to jump on as much as I used to but glad the Texans are doing better. Not sure how they don't win the division. Sad part is the Negative Nelly in me wonders if this process may have been hastened with others at the helm..still worries a little. :)

StarStruck
11-12-2011, 06:44 PM

Excellent post! Repped

ObsiWan
11-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Heck, I'm a Cowboy fan and have been less fairweather than many Houstonians about the Texans. It's been hard to jump on as much as I used to but glad the Texans are doing better. Not sure how they don't win the division. Sad part is the Negative Nelly in me wonders if this process may have been hastened with others at the helm..still worries a little. :)

let go... the past cannot be changed so why worry about it. learn from it. move on.

Carr Bombed
11-12-2011, 07:31 PM
let go... the past cannot be changed so why worry about it. learn from it. move on.

Must spread rep, yada yada yada....

TejasTom
11-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Simple way to find out if they've been a fan all along: ...

I don't care how long they have been a fan just that they are a fan.

That they get mad when we do something stupid and that it hurts when we lose. There have been times I have left Reliant and felt like my dog died.

Showtime100
11-12-2011, 11:33 PM
One question. Do the "newbies" have to type our posts for us their rookie year??

brakos82
11-12-2011, 11:35 PM
One question. Do the "newbies" have to type our posts for us their rookie year??

I sure damn well hope so, else I'll have carpel tunnel by 35. :lol:

Poor Bill. :facepalm:

mattieuk
11-12-2011, 11:54 PM
I'm all for some band wagoners! I dream of a day that the Texans get a big enough rep to start up a watch-meet in Vancouver of Texans fans!

We'll show them Jag fans how to over react.

TexansTalk posters are plenty good enough to take on pretty much any fanbase already on that count.

brakos82
11-13-2011, 12:07 AM
I'm all for some band wagoners! I dream of a day that the Texans get a big enough rep to start up a watch-meet in Vancouver of Texans fans!

Or you could drive down here so we can start our own. :kitten:

Showtime100
11-13-2011, 12:13 AM

TexansTalk posters are plenty good enough to take on pretty much any fanbase already on that count.

I don't think brakos is allowed in Canada. :D Might have to do with his association with Bill. :runaway:

brakos82
11-13-2011, 12:30 AM
I don't think brakos is allowed in Canada. :D Might have to do with his association with Bill. :runaway:

:lol:

I actually need to get my passport renewed.

mattieuk
11-13-2011, 02:48 AM

Hey I'm counting down the seasons til 2013, when the Texans are potentially slated to play in Seattle next. Two man tailgate time!

Pantherstang84
12-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Gentlemen on board please offer your seats to the ladies...

Thanks you

jtexas
12-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Dont act like a cowboys fan. Dallas teams and fans act like elitist assholes. So much that you will root for any team besides them and always want them to lose.

Welcome the casual fans and fans of other teams that now want to root for the Texans. They might just remain fans and that is how you get better media coverage and love.

Corrosion
12-11-2011, 10:51 PM
I dunno about that. There are some people on this board who were part of the old texans talk. Not only that but I go back to Houstonprofootballtalk.com now that is way back.

Mike

Yeah , those are the die hards that DB was talking about above who have been around since the begining (probably a dozen or so of us been here that long).... Just look at how many new faces there are around here the last 6 weeks ..... those are the bandwagon jumpers that Dread is refering to .....

MadBurgerMaker
12-11-2011, 11:04 PM
TBH it's kind of nice actually seeing people around who are willing to talk about Texans football. It used to just be mostly catching flak from Cowboys fans instead of actually talking about football, so yeah...

ThaJokaa
12-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Took the idea from SheTexan because I want to laugh at the stories; All props to her.

Here's one of hers

Speaking about bandwagoners! I've thought about starting a thread so us diehards could post FUNNY stuff they have heard from these people. Decided it would get ugly so I haven't done it, YET. I'm not opposed to bandwagoners at all either. It's fun to see our City so pumped up over our team, and I KNOW who I am and what I've been through the past nine years, so mostly I just smile, and engage them in conversation just so I can single them out.

I was in Academy Monday HOPING against hope that I could land a Division winning cap, and I overheard a MAN talking to his lady telling her to look for a #90 shirt because Andre Johnson was his favorite player!! I laughed so hard I bit my tongue! I went to Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner Monday night and the hostess told me there would be quite a wait because they had a football player there. I asked her WHO, and she said Ben YATES! I smiled and ask her if she was sure, and she said yes, it's that TEXAN player who went to the probowl!! Ben TATE was at Buffalo Wild Wings and Arian Foster was at Verison across the street. The statement that made me laugh the most came from a girl at work who is a Cowboy fan. The bus driver and I chat Texan talk every morning, and this chick rarely says anything. Monday she made a bold statement saying "well, the Cowboys have been there and done that, so we don't need to do it again!!!" THe bus driver let out a huge HOOT, and I had to turn my face to the window to keep from laughing in her face! Priceless moment from a jealous Cowboy fan!!

For those of you that know me, you know I am a talker, and LOVE to talk about our Texans! I'm truly having a BLAST talking to these bandwagoner fans! They are excited too, and thats fun for me!! I'm gonna ride this ride and enjoy every minute of it for as long as the ride last, which I hope will be in Feb!!!

After we clinched the AFC South I went to Academy looking for the Championship Shirt and there's a woman on the phone buying alot of Texans gear. I overheard her convo while she looking at Matt Schuab jerseys and she busted out with, "Should we even get #8 since he's not playing for us anymore?":mariopalm:I just walked away...

Encounter #2: At the Stadium after the Bengals game welcoming our team back after chanting Andre this other woman standing next to me busts out with, "Why are they chanting Andre? He only played 3 games this season." I felt like back handing her while giving her the crazy eyes. :mariopalm:

Post your stories

Kthx
12-14-2011, 06:10 PM
I usually hang out with a set group of friends at the bar so I haven't heard that much, but I have noticed the entire bar is full now on Sundays as opposed to the two tables that were there since week one when we started going to watch the games.

Txn_in_FL
12-14-2011, 06:17 PM
I usually hang out with a set group of friends at the bar so I haven't heard that much, but I have noticed the entire bar is full now on Sundays as opposed to the two tables that were there since week one when we started going to watch the games.

This is why I wish I was in the States right now. Everywhere I've been I have been the only Texan fan in any of the places I go. I'd love to see how that's changed.

I had a chance to be in VA for the title clincher but I couldn't make the trip. SOOOOOOOO wish I could have been there.

Rey
12-14-2011, 06:18 PM
How can you tell a bandwagon fan from a fan that has just "come out of the closet"?

Maybe now they are just not afraid to show their true colors since it is more acceptable to be a Texan fan.

Big Lou
12-14-2011, 06:25 PM
This is why I wish I was in the States right now. Everywhere I've been I have been the only Texan fan in any of the places I go. I'd love to see how that's changed.

I had a chance to be in VA for the title clincher but I couldn't make the trip. SOOOOOOOO wish I could have been there.

Although I'd probably rather be here in Vegas than either one of the Korea's (although I think Bud Adams is next in line in Pyongyang....), try living in Vegas. It's all Giants, Cowboy, and Oakland Fans. Vegas is all transplants so i laugh when they talk about getting any major league teams because there would be 0 support, so it would be a lot like a team in LA that doesn't win a title!!!

Anyway, there are bars for almost all the NFL teams except Houston and a couple of others. Luckily there are some nondenominational bars that I used to go to, in order to catch the games. When people around here see me with a Texans Jersey they always do a double take.

Then at work its the worst because my companies Corporate Office is in Dallas, so everyone is always like, "you like the Cowboys right?", and then I have to head to HR after slapping the sh*t out of them.

Guess thats what I get for moving!!!!

Big Lou
12-14-2011, 06:26 PM
I do love the concept, I love to bash those that just jump on during the good times!!!!

Thorn
12-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Fans are fans. If these bandwagon fans do truly become real fans, then they'll learn names and numbers of players. But please, keep posting these accounts, they are funny. The only thing I can recount is a Cowboy fan at work who just sighed and said "Damn, the Texans could kick our ass right now with a 3rd string QB. That's sad." :lol:

TheCD
12-14-2011, 06:28 PM
How can you tell a bandwagon fan from a fan that has just "come out of the closet"?

Maybe now they are just not afraid to show their true colors since it is more acceptable to be a Texan fan.

Maybe it's harsh, but I would call these people bamdwagoners, too. No matter how much I would get ridiculed (I live in Cowboys nation) I have always worn my Texans stuff and talked about my team. I do get a little satisfaction, though, seeing other people in Texans gear now, and knowing there is no way anyone could call me a bandwagoner because all of my Texans shirts are so old and worn.

Texan_Bill
12-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Don't have any stories. All of my Texans Family are all members of Blue Crew and have been around basically since the beginning. I don't much pay attention to people out in public... :thinking: Well, unless she's hot!

EVOLVIST
12-14-2011, 06:30 PM
There's this guy I work with who is a big Titans' fan. He's always running his mouth how the Texans suck. So, the day after the Bengals win, I printed out the TJ Yates photo, a nice glossy print - the one with his finger to his mouth and that sly grin, and I had someone with girly handwriting sign it:

"To Mike, Jake Locker blows, best, T.J. Yates."

He looked at me said, "Oh, wow, how did you get this!? The Texans are going all the way this year, dude!"

So, I said, "You gotta be fu*ckin' kidding me, man! You've been on the Titans tip since the needle first hit the wax!"

He just smiled and said, "Yeah, I know; but it's my birthright, as a native Houstonian to jump on the bandwagon of the hometown team anytime I want."

Putz. :thumbdown

TEXANRED
12-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Took the idea from SheTexan because I want to laugh at the stories; All props to her.

Here's one of hers

After we clinched the AFC South I went to Academy looking for the Championship Shirt and there's a woman on the phone buying alot of Texans gear. I overheard her convo while she looking at Matt Schuab jerseys and she busted out with, "Should we even get #8 since he's not playing for us anymore?":mariopalm:I just walked away...

Encounter #2: At the Stadium after the Bengals game welcoming our team back after chanting Andre this other woman standing next to me busts out with, "Why are they chanting Andre? He only played 3 games this season." I felt like back handing her while giving her the crazy eyes. :mariopalm:

Post your stories
I don't have any stories. I just wanted you to know I love your avatar.

SWHTX
12-14-2011, 06:48 PM
I just hope they eventually become die-hard fans... everytime I hear something like (these stories) I want to :mariopalm: and try to teach them.

Texas T
12-14-2011, 06:53 PM
I don't have any funny stories but I will say that I've seen more people wearing Texans gear than at any other time.

There are four of us here at the base but we've been seeing people wearing jackets and such out and about in New Jersey. Previously I had only seen one other person in this area, that I didn't already know.

So I'm thinking these were closet fans and didn't want to take the ridicule of the Eagles fans.

GP
12-14-2011, 06:55 PM
They should be immediately chastised. Period.

Yes, you can become a Texans fan. But there will be hazing first and foremost.

I'm thinking 80 punches to the back of the head, in honor of Andre Johnson's beatdown of Innegan is a good start.

You must then wear a David Carr jersey the first year of your fan affiliation with us. WE did it, now YOU have to do it too. Don't like it? Tough shit. That's what happens when you're 10 years late to the party.

Lastly, you must take an oath to NEVER abandon the team under any circumstances. Punishment for violation of this rule: The offender must accompany Texan Bill to the gentleman's club of his choice where the offender will be forced to pay for ALL of Texan Bill's tab. ALL OF IT.

Then let's see who is ready to climb aboard the Texans Express. You dig?

Grams
12-14-2011, 07:11 PM
We have a diehard Cowgirl fan at work. He started to harrass me last year when we would lose. When the Girls lost I did not return the favor, altho others at work kidded him endlessly. So we struck an agreement, to not harrass one another, just discuss the games.

After last Sunday he came up to me and offered congratulations on making the playoffs. As we were discussing the Girls, he said, he finally realized how we Texan fans felt last year losing all games in the closing minutes.

Nothing earth shattering, but respect for the Texans at last.

SeminoleTexan
12-14-2011, 07:38 PM

I'm thinking 80 punches to the back of the head, in honor of Andre Johnson's beatdown of Innegan is a good start.

You must then wear a David Carr jersey the first year of your fan affiliation with us. WE did it, now YOU have to do it too. Don't like it? Tough shit. That's what happens when you're 10 years late to the party.

Lastly, you must take an oath to NEVER abandon the team under any circumstances. Punishment for violation of this rule: The offender must accompany Texan Bill to the gentleman's club of his choice where the offender will be forced to pay for ALL of Texan Bill's tab. ALL OF IT.

lmao....i still have my battle red David Carr jersey hanging in the back of my closet.

Texans_Chick
12-14-2011, 07:40 PM
I say more the merrier. Even if all the inhabitants of Houston became Texans fans, we would still have one of the smaller fanbases.

I'm full boogie recruiting all fans.

But I am a believer that given our hard road to get to this point, we appreciate it more than let's say folks in Jacksonville who had quick success partially due to their expansion situation.

Imatexanfan
12-14-2011, 07:55 PM
I've been flyin my Texans car flags on Fort Riley for the longest and I have actually been the only one doing so until today, I seen the same car flags on a Ford truck, I was like WTF?! I mean because everybody else here is either flyin Packers or Aints...it kinda caught me off guard lol

SheTexan
12-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks ThaJokaa! I truly didn't want this to get nasty so was hesitant to start the thread. Truthfully, I've been a bandwagon fan myself, so, I feel a little empathy with these fans. I follow the Astro's and Rockets but rarely go to games. I don't know their players, jersey numbers, stats, or anything at all about most of them. Really could care less. BUT, when they did their thang to bring recognition to our City I was right there with the rest buying up shirts, caps, etc, and loving every minute of their ride to fame. So, I guess if thats the definition of "bandwagon" then I certainly have no right to criticize any Texan fan right now. It's just fun listening to the one's who want you to think they've been fans from the beginning but don't know squat about our team.

I'm truly having fun! A lady stopped me in the parking lot at Krogers today, wanting to know where I got my Texan purse. After spending twenty minutes talking about our Texans, where to find merchandise, Christmas ornaments, etc, we went our separate ways, both of us smiling.

That's what it's all about. Sharing this excitement with people you don't know and just having fun with it!

SAMURAITEXAN
12-14-2011, 08:39 PM

So, you are watching the Texans game at 3AM morning just like I? Welcome to Asia. I know its tough to go to work on Monday morning.

Go Texans!!!

TexCanada
12-14-2011, 08:45 PM

This is a fantastic set of rules, well done. Everyone should have to do a little hazing ritual to get in. I can't remember how many times I've gotten a "WTF?" look when someone asked me what team I cheer for. Such is the life of a Texans fan north of the border.

Texan_Bill
12-14-2011, 08:51 PM
I say more the merrier. Even if all the inhabitants of Houston became Texans fans, we would still have one of the smaller fanbases.

But I am a believer that given our hard road to get to this point, we appreciate it more than let's say folks in Jacksonville who had quick success partially due to their expansion situation.

I wanna see the "Full Boogie" this Sunday! ;) Seriously though, I agree!!

REPPED!

spurstexanstros
12-14-2011, 08:55 PM

and thats why I read her articles...and I agree. the more the merrier. I have spent years telling people there were tons of Texans fans here in SA. Ever since 2002 I saw them in stores, on the highway, met them of here and there started hanging out with them...but still none of the local media believed me. Even the Texans (at first) doubted me. I got nasty emails from all the networks telling me i was nutz. Now that they are making themselves more visable i feel vindicated.

Welcome texans fans...and for the love of Texan Bill like the Houston Texans fan club of SA on facebook...geez. whats a guy got to do to get likes on FB.

gtexan02
12-14-2011, 08:58 PM
More fans = more coverage = more prime time games = better franchise!

spurstexanstros
12-14-2011, 08:58 PM

They cant borrow mine..its enshrined in a frame and I have candles in front of it...David this ones for you!!!! ( I dont care you haters he was my favorite when he was here)

Chance_C
12-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Hey Grandma you get me an entrance to the tailgate during a playoff game and I'll bring fish and cook it up again for y'all! I'll listen to the game in the parking lot, just want to enjoy that playoff atmosphere!

Texan_Bill
12-14-2011, 09:02 PM
and thats why I read her articles...and I agree. the more the merrier. I have spent years telling people there were tons of Texans fans here in SA. Ever since 2002 I saw them in stores, on the highway, met them of here and there started hanging out with them...but still none of the local media believed me. Even the Texans (at first) doubted me. I got nasty emails from all the networks telling me i was nutz. Now that they are making themselves more visable i feel vindicated.

Welcome texans fans...and for the love of Texan Bill like the Houston Texans fan club of SA on facebook...geez. whats a guy got to do to get likes on FB.

STFU Spurs fan!!! :D Are you gonna be here for the Kitty's game??

Playoffs
12-14-2011, 09:15 PM
No need to start playing "holier than thou"...

There's room for all.

http://bestsmileys.com/happy/2.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/happy/2.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/happy/2.gif

Kimmy
12-14-2011, 09:18 PM
No need to start playing "holier than thou"...

There's room for all.

http://bestsmileys.com/happy/2.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/happy/2.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/happy/2.gif

THIS ^^^

I'd rather have new fans, hell, I'd rather have MAD fans rather than no fans at all.

97roc
12-14-2011, 09:31 PM
I don't have any stories. I just wanted you to know I love your avatar.

It's a nice Avatar.

Texan_Bill
12-14-2011, 09:44 PM
All I'm sayin' is that I'm glad that "TheRealJoker" can finally can get laid!! Dude put up a challenge a long, long time ago about being celebate until the Texans making the playoffs.....

TheRealJoker.... I got this covered for you my brother!! Let me know when you're available..... *Chill the **** out Houston, I got TheRealJoker covered*

TdotTexas2Step
12-14-2011, 10:26 PM
It's not really about being "holier than thou".

What upsets - or not upsets - but irks me is when the same people who rag on you for being a texans fan when times are bad, but hops on as soon as things get good.

They don't have to suffer through all those horrible seasons, show no affiliation with the Texans while they cheer on "their team", and then instantly becomes a Texans fan when things are finally looking up.

That's like having that one friend who wants nothing to do with you, but then you win the lottery, and suddenly they act like you're their best friend.

Being in Toronto, Canada, (the wife's from Houston) - I've been a Texan fan for five years, not having to anyone to talk Texans ball with, so finding this forum was heaven sent. :doot:

ThaJokaa
12-14-2011, 10:29 PM
I never said I dont want more fans. Like gtexan02 said, More fans = more coverage = more prime time games = better franchise! but claiming youve ALWAYS been a fan? tisk tisk, that doesnt fly with me.

What upsets - or not upsets - but irks me is when the same people who rag on you for being a texans fan when times are bad, but hops on as soon as things get good.

They don't have to suffer through all those horrible seasons, show no affiliation with the Texans while they cheer on "their team", and then instantly becomes a Texans fan when things are finally looking up.

& this also

False Start
12-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Whats really frustrating, is to hear a bandwagoner, call you a bandwagoner! I had this dude wearing all his brand new shiny gear call me out for being one. I have a Texans hat that I bought the day after the Team announced the name of the Franchise. It looks like its been through hell, I have worn it pretty much every day since for ten fricking years, and this dude in his brand new hat and jersey with wristbands, the whole 9 wants to question my loyalty. :ok: :bat:

bckey
12-15-2011, 01:13 AM
Hey Grandma you get me an entrance to the tailgate during a playoff game and I'll bring fish and cook it up again for y'all! I'll listen to the game in the parking lot, just want to enjoy that playoff atmosphere!

I'm probably going to have to do the same thing. Gonna try and get in with Double Duece if I can't get any tickets.

bckey
12-15-2011, 01:15 AM
It's a nice Avatar.

I'm kinda likin ThaJokaa's avatar.

SheTexan
12-15-2011, 08:17 PM

I'll start NOW putting out feelers. I didn't buy any, but, I know a few people who did. I'll start looking!!

Texas T
12-15-2011, 09:10 PM

I just got ya. Don't live in SA but anything to help a brother out!

Speedy
12-15-2011, 10:11 PM
For 9 years at work it's been "YOUR Texans lost again", "what's wrong with YOUR Texans" etc.

This season that YOUR has changed to a WE. "WE won", "WE clinched the division", WE are going to the playoffs".

And I give them plenty of business about it too. Where the hell were y'all at for the last 9 years?

ThaJokaa
12-15-2011, 10:25 PM
I wouldn't mind tailgating for the game, I perfer watching it on tv than listening thru a radio tho

V Man
12-16-2011, 09:49 AM
Had a Colt's fan that I work with come up and congradulate me on the Texans first AFC South Crown on Monday morning. We started talking and she was telling me about how several of her friends had jumped on the wagon this year, and were giving her a hard time about the Colts and the Texans winning the confernce. She said she didn't pay any attention to them cause she knew they were bandwagoners, but knew from all my Texans gear and posters that she had seen over the years that I was the only true Texans fan she knew. And cause of what I have dealt with thru the years, she wanted to be sure to congradulate me on the Texans...think it is funny even the rival fans know the Texans bandwagoneers.

Vinnie
12-16-2011, 10:17 AM
I picked up some tailgate passes for a co-worker yesterday at will call and the guy in line in front of me asked the teller what time the game was Saturday.

michaelm
12-16-2011, 10:18 AM

Isn't that part of what makes them bandwaggoners?

Dread-Head
12-16-2011, 10:28 AM
I do love the concept, I love to bash those that just jump on during the good times!!!!

:thinking: Why does this thread seem so FAMILIAR? Hey mods...can I get a merger, and if not can I get a "what what!?"

SheTexan
12-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Krogers seems to be my place to find nitwit "fans!"

This mornings conversation: (I'm wearing a Texan tee, carrying a Texan purse, and have my flag flying on my car.)

Gentleman: WOW, how bout OUR Texans?!!!

Me: Yea, pretty cool, don't ya think?"

Him: Man, it's great! Sure hope we beat the COLTS on Sunday so we can go to the playoffs!!

Me: (After a minute or so of stunned silence!) We've already made the playoff! Great feeling, isn't it?!!

Him: NO SHIT!! Who do we play?

Me: As I grab a buggy and head to the entrance! Ya know, I don't have a clue!

Next time I go to Krogers I leaving all my TEXAN stuff behind!!:smiliepalm:

GP
12-16-2011, 10:47 AM
For 9 years at work it's been "YOUR Texans lost again", "what's wrong with YOUR Texans" etc.

This season that YOUR has changed to a WE. "WE won", "WE clinched the division", WE are going to the playoffs".

And I give them plenty of business about it too. Where the hell were y'all at for the last 9 years?

You should find a cheap trophy, one of those plastic ones like a kid gets at the end of a soccer season.

Take a blank mailing label, and adhere it over the little rectangular name plate on the front. With a Sharpie, write "Fake Fan Award."

Ask everyone who has been saying "WE won the division" to gather around. Announce that in light of the Texans' recent accomplishments, you're having an awards ceremony, and you want them to all gather around your desk during break time or just before lunch.

When everyone is there, you need to hold the trophy and stand on your chair.

"First of all, I'd like to say that I've been a Texans fan for, oh gosh...I think since the time it was announced we were getting a new team. I bought the gear. I joined message boards. I consumed all things Texans. We had rough years, I've been made fun of around here. I've taken it in stride. Well, I've noticed that here recently a lot of people are joining in the fun. And so, without any more delay, I would like to present to all of you this trophy. Ladies and gentlemen, I bestow upon you....the Fake Fan Award!"

Hand it to the person nearest you, clap really loud and have a very big, proud look on your face. Keep clapping. Start cheering TEXANS! TEXANS! TEXANS! until they leave in disgust. "Thank you all! Thank you for coming to the award ceremony! YOU helped make this dream season possible. See you at the playoff games! Anybody want a ride with me to the tailgate? Hello? Anybody? Oh well. Have a good lunch everyone."

That ought to shut 'em up...and get an ice pick lodged into your car tire. LOL.

It's fun to pretend that stuff, though. To think that YOU are a true fan, and here's these fake fans, and you know you can't say anything TOO harsh but that you'd love to dish out some payback somehow. A guy can dream....

TejasTom
12-16-2011, 11:03 AM
I just had a 49ers fan say is about time for him to but a Texan's shirt.

michaelm
12-16-2011, 11:05 AM
I just wanted to pop in here and pat myself on the back with my recent anti-bandwagon moment(s).

My mother-in-law took her daughters, sons-in-law and our kids to Atlantis in the Bahamas over Thanksgiving weekend, 11 of us in all.
I planned my wardrobe so that I would wear a Texans shirt every single day of the trip, five days in all.

So I packed eight Texans shirts so that I'd have a few spares, and sported Texans gear from the moment I left my house on Wednesday, until I got back to the house on Sunday.
When I got home, I told my wife she was in charge of my daughter, and sat down to watch the Texans/Jags game which I'd DVRed.
I previously threatened the lives of all of my friends not to text me, or leave any voice mails indicating the outcome of the game, so I could watch it "live".

It's nice to see that kind of obsession finally pay off with a playoff berth.
Wicked nice!

BTW, how many of you have casual Friday where you work, and sport a Texans shirt every Friday without fail?
I know I do. I haven't worn anything but Texans gear on casual Friday for years.

Malloy
12-16-2011, 11:46 AM
So, you are watching the Texans game at 3AM morning just like I? Welcome to Asia. I know its tough to go to work on Monday morning.

Go Texans!!!

That's when my nightgames play. Most of the time I get to watch my Texans at 7pm, that's ok :)

Double Barrel
12-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Whats really frustrating, is to hear a bandwagoner, call you a bandwagoner! I had this dude wearing all his brand new shiny gear call me out for being one. I have a Texans hat that I bought the day after the Team announced the name of the Franchise. It looks like its been through hell, I have worn it pretty much every day since for ten fricking years, and this dude in his brand new hat and jersey with wristbands, the whole 9 wants to question my loyalty. :ok: :bat:

lol! I've got a shirt from 2002 that has a Texans logo that is barely hanging on these days. It is ragged, but it is mine!

Funny thing is that I could wear a different Texans shirt/jersey every day for a month! Amazing how much gear I have accumulated over the past decade. Mainly from Christmas and b-day presents. It's the default gift to give me. Everyone knows that if you can't think of anything else, get me something with a Texans logo on it!

This x infinity.

Y'know, I don't mind front-running bandwagon fans so much. Like Texans Chick said, the more the merrier. This is the nature of a winning team. And like SheTex mentioned, I'm a bandwagon fan for the Rockets and Astros. I could care less unless these teams are winning, so I understand the perspective.

However, back to what Speedy said, for a decade we have had to bear the brunt of "YOUR Texans lost again". It has always been put on ME, as a hardcore fan from the beginning, to carry the weight of a mediocre franchise.

So while I don't mind bandwagon fans so much, I do have to call out those that have always pointed at me for being devoted to this team and all of a sudden they are now "big fans". It's just fake, and I'm not big on fake people.

I throw these people curveball questions, too. Bring up Boselli or how great Carr was for us. They don't know so go along, assuming that I know what I'm talking about. They don't want to look ignorant to me.

I just hope they bring the "information" that I provide to other fans so the joke (on them) continues on... :evil:

Dread-Head
12-16-2011, 12:17 PM
:headhurts: Seriously...Mods...can one of you combine this with the "Where are all these Band-wagon muff-huggas Coming from?" Thread that was started by that ruggely handsome guy with the dreadlocks? I mean come on they're pretty much the same thread.

Dread-Head
12-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Hi mods. Dreadford Headdington III here. This...would be a good place to combine THIS thread with the OTHER "Bandwagon fan" thread. I'm just sayin' is all...:kitten:

El Tejano
12-16-2011, 02:42 PM
BTW, how many of you have casual Friday where you work, and sport a Texans shirt every Friday without fail?
I know I do. I haven't worn anything but Texans gear on casual Friday for years.

I wear Texans on Monday after a win. Wednesdays to get focused on the new opponent and Friday because of casual day.

El Tejano
12-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Anyone in Austin noticing the looks from Cowboy fans we are getting in traffic?

michaelm
12-16-2011, 02:45 PM
I wear Texans on Monday after a win. Wednesdays to get focused on the new opponent and Friday because of casual day.

Fridays are the only option where I work, but if I could, I'd probably sport my Texans gear 100% of the time.

Texecutioner
12-16-2011, 03:37 PM
I just had a 49ers fan say is about time for him to but a Texan's shirt.

This crap is actually pissing me off. These damn band wagon fans are all over the place buying Texans gear like crazy now, and now the prices are going up all over the place. I've got a few shirts and all, but man this is getting ridiculous now. Bandwagoners are driving up the prices everywhere.

I've got all these family members asking for all this Texans stuff for Christmas. I told them they should have bought jersey's years ago, and that I wasn't buying any of them jersey's. They're not bandwagon fans really, but they should have already had jerseys if they wanted them, and not waited until we made the playoffs to finally think it was worth it to have one. All of a sudden now Texans gear is at the top of their Christmas list at the most expensive time in Texans history to buy Texans apparel. I told them to wait until summer time if they want to buy Texans gear. I won't be buying any with it being so expensive right now.

GuerillaBlack
12-16-2011, 03:47 PM
This crap is actually pissing me off. These damn band wagon fans are all over the place buying Texans gear like crazy now, and now the prices are going up all over the place. I've got a few shirts and all, but man this is getting ridiculous now. Bandwagoners are driving up the prices everywhere.

I've got all these family members asking for all this Texans stuff for Christmas. I told them they should have bought jersey's years ago, and that I wasn't buying any of them jersey's. They're not bandwagon fans really, but they should have already had jerseys if they wanted them, and not waited until we made the playoffs to finally think it was worth it to have one. All of a sudden now Texans gear is at the top of their Christmas list at the most expensive time in Texans history to buy Texans apparel. I told them to wait until summer time if they want to buy Texans gear. I won't be buying any with it being so expensive right now.

They won't know the difference:

http://www.jerseysnfljerseys.net/nfl-jerseys-houston-texans-c-16_90.html

SheTexan
12-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Talk about people buying up stuff. I went to the new Academy off Beltway 8 in Pasadena, which opened today, looking for that ellusive cap I want, but, one was NOT to be had!! I got there one hour after the store opened and they were all gone. They had plenty of tee shirts and were allowing only two per person, which I thought was great. My son-in-law told me he saw some on E-bay for 40 bucks. Anyway, I did find a couple car flags with the Division Championship marking on it, so I felt lucky to get that. Stuff was literally flying off the shelves. I overheard a lady who was LOADED down with Texan stuff, ask the sales person WHY they didn't have any TJ Yates jerseys. She insisted the clerk go call someone to find out if they were going to be getting any in. I just smiled and moved on! Our boy TJ is gonna be famous!!:doot:

Saw a man in the parking lot take off his shirt and replace it with a newly purchased Championship tee. FUNNY!!

This city is on fire, and I'm having a ball people watching! Sunday is gonna be NUTS at the Texan store, and all the sub places they sell merchandise. I'm just gonna wait and hope SOMEONE in my family buys me that damn cap for Christmas!!

Showtime100
12-16-2011, 04:02 PM

I just had an exchange with a Cowboy fan about an hour ago. It was light-hearted of course, but still I get tired of the comments sometimes.

I walked into a store and I had my Texans sweatshirt on, fairly large hard-to-miss Texans logo on the front. An apparent Cowboy fan smirks and says "damn, you fans are coming out of the woodwork since last week." He emphasized as I did the word "fans." I knew what he meant, smiled and said, "what are you trying to say?" In a nutshell he said he questioned the fanhood of many wearing Texans gear lately.

I told him to look at my shirt and asked him if it looked new, no, he said, it didn't. I showed him my set of keys attached to my Texans keyholder, scratched and worn.

I said [paraphrasing] "I've been here for the long haul 'seven-and-six' and I'm not going anywhere. Look at it this way, this year puts 19-10 in a more proper perspective for the Texans fan. Good luck to the 'Boys the rest of the way."

I have no desire to sound like they have for years, hence the 'good luck' sentiment. That could change tomorrow. I'm going to Lakeline Mall where there is a Cowboys Pro Shop (if it's still there) and those guys and I go 'round and 'round everytime I go in there, which is why I go in there. :D It usually starts off with, "so, is the jail cell in the back?" This year it might be, "so, do horrible things happen to this store in the last minutes of the day?" :evil:

I imagine after Christmas this paricular year there will be a lot of new and old fans alike in new Texans gear. If you don't know your Texans trivia yet for cred purposes, better study up...lol.

Texanator
12-16-2011, 04:04 PM

I'm loving it El Tejano!! I've got Texans stickers all over my back window and when they drive by they all have that same scowl on their faces.

rush2112mn
12-16-2011, 04:44 PM

Real fans who are old enough have always been there....I hear ya......

BullBlitz
12-16-2011, 11:05 PM
There are fans and there are non-fans. What I find most annoying is some fans who think they are somehow superior to others for some reason.

If you're a fan you're a fan. Regardless of "how long" you have supposedly been one.

GP
12-17-2011, 12:53 AM
There are fans and there are non-fans. What I find most annoying is some fans who think they are somehow superior to others for some reason.

If you're a fan you're a fan. Regardless of "how long" you have supposedly been one.

What is a non-fan, by the way? Janet Reno? Truman Capote?

People who jump aboard when things are going great...THAT'S an inferior fan. Period. That person didn't just wake up from a 10-year coma and realize "Gee, we have an NFL team again?!?!? Awesome!"

But thanks for trying. It sounded almost logical until you hit the submit button.

And spare me the whole "I hate fans who think they're superior." You put the work into it, you stick out the bad years and fly the team flag in the worst of times when everyone makes fun of you, then HELL YES it makes you a better fan.

I look up to the people on here who (a) Have season tickets for 10 years straight, (b) go to training camps and post photos and info for people like me to see (for free, by the way), (c) set up a tailgate and cook and serve to other fans who come by the tailgate, (d) set up "watch parties" for fellow fans, (d) buy butt loads of merchandise, and (e) show up on a message board to talk about this team., and (f) sport their Texans gear every Monday for 10 years even if we got our brains beat out on Sunday (Again).

The people who think Andre Johnson is #90, wonder why the crowd is chanting "AJ! AJ! AJ!" since "the guy didn't do anything this season," ask their husband if they should buy a Matt Schaub jersey "since he doesn't play for us anymore," ask the ticket clerk "What time does the game start on Saturday?" and on and on and on...THOSE people are 100% bandwagon jumping, here-for-the-good-times-only fans.

They think this is a popularity contest back in junior high or something. "Oooo! I want to be seen with the COOL crowd!"

That is not me or anyone else acting like a superior fan. It's just a basic Fan Life dose of reality.

SheTexan
12-17-2011, 01:55 AM
What is a non-fan, by the way? Janet Reno? Truman Capote?

People who jump aboard when things are going great...THAT'S an inferior fan. Period. That person didn't just wake up from a 10-year coma and realize "Gee, we have an NFL team again?!?!? Awesome!"

But thanks for trying. It sounded almost logical until you hit the submit button.

And spare me the whole "I hate fans who think they're superior." You put the work into it, you stick out the bad years and fly the team flag in the worst of times when everyone makes fun of you, then HELL YES it makes you a better fan.

I look up to the people on here who (a) Have season tickets for 10 years straight, (b) go to training camps and post photos and info for people like me to see (for free, by the way), (c) set up a tailgate and cook and serve to other fans who come by the tailgate, (d) set up "watch parties" for fellow fans, (d) buy butt loads of merchandise, and (e) show up on a message board to talk about this team., and (f) sport their Texans gear every Monday for 10 years even if we got our brains beat out on Sunday (Again).

The people who think Andre Johnson is #90, wonder why the crowd is chanting "AJ! AJ! AJ!" since "the guy didn't do anything this season," ask their husband if they should buy a Matt Schaub jersey "since he doesn't play for us anymore," ask the ticket clerk "What time does the game start on Saturday?" and on and on and on...THOSE people are 100% bandwagon jumping, here-for-the-good-times-only fans.

They think this is a popularity contest back in junior high or something. "Oooo! I want to be seen with the COOL crowd!"

That is not me or anyone else acting like a superior fan. It's just a basic Fan Life dose of reality.

Well said GP. Can't rep ya! I guess the difference is the term DIEHARD fan opposed to just a FAN. I'm a FAN of the Rockets and Astro's, but, far from a DIEHARD, like I am with the Texans. Truthfully, there is a very small percentage of fans who have followed this team 24/7, 12 months out of the year, for 10 LONG years!! It is a passion most people don't have. They might go to the games, even have season tickets, but, on Monday they are done and don't start up again until the next weekend. When the season ends they are finished until it starts again in Sept. They don't follow the draft, FA, mini camps, training camps, preseason, etc, but, they are still a fan. True DIEHARDS are a rare breed, and we are defensive as hell when it comes to people surfing our territory, trying to appear as one of us, when we know they are bogas. I guess what I'm trying to say, it is getting late and my brain is tired, is that we are the exception, out of the norm, the one's that the common everyday FAN will never understand. I'm ok with that. Just don't EVER question my fandom cause I will hurt you!!:bat::doot:

ObsiWan
12-17-2011, 02:48 AM
They won't know the difference:

http://www.jerseysnfljerseys.net/nfl-jerseys-houston-texans-c-16_90.html

What's the story on this site? Good quality? Reliable?
I saw a couple of jerseys I'd like to add to my collection (not to mention a classic Jim Wynn Colt 45s jersey :D )

GuerillaBlack
12-17-2011, 03:08 AM
What's the story on this site? Good quality? Reliable?
I saw a couple of jerseys I'd like to add to my collection (not to mention a classic Jim Wynn Colt 45s jersey :D )

Very reliable. People at clutchfans were using them. They'll call you when you place an order also.

GP
12-17-2011, 12:56 PM
They don't follow the draft, FA, mini camps, training camps, preseason, etc, but, they are still a fan. True DIEHARDS are a rare breed, and we are defensive as hell when it comes to people surfing our territory, trying to appear as one of us, when we know they are bogas.

You said it perfectly right there ^^^^.

We earned the right to be a bit put off when interlopers try to puff their chest out and act like they been surfing the same waves these past 10 years.

I love the Astros and the Rockets, but my overall interest in both basketball and baseball has been falling drastically every year for the past 10 to 20 years. I've realized that football is the only sports love of my life, and MMA is now 2nd on my list. Both of those sports involved nothing but sheer aggression and a requirement for physical domination of the opponent. I feel as though basketball and baseball are more of a "finesse" sport.

The Texans have become my obsession. If I lived in the Houston area, or was rich enough to fly to Houston every week, I'd be at every game. 24/7.

When I was down here for the Raiders game, I wagged my finger at the store clerks in the sports stores at The Galleria. "You don't have CRAP for Texans fans in here. This is pitiful. It's obscene. I'm telling' you guys, you laugh at me today when I say this, but you gonna' see lots of Texans gear kiosks set up in the aisles outside your store. You better get on the stick and get your stuff NOW and start promoting it. This is our year. 100% all the way."

They just waved me off, smiling and acting like I was crazy or something. LOL.

See, you and I (and others here) after halfway through the season WE knew this year was different. Last year, we could tell by about week 4 that it was just a mirage. But THIS year? We knew. We knew before TJ threw the TD pass to Walter to seal the AFC South. We knew before Schaub went down with the injury. And so it's hard to see people storm in after the Bengals game and just act like they been paying rent the past 10 years.

Wolf
12-17-2011, 01:32 PM
over the years, I have seen me and a coworker wear Texans gear on a regular basis.

this year I have seen about 30 people in this little town jumping on board.

a month or so I was sittiing in a bar and a guy comes up to me and starts talking about the Texans (I didn't notice his hat at first because he had his sunglasses on the brim) .. well the conversation went like this

Bar guy: "The Texans are having a kick ass season"
Wolf: "yes, can't wait till AJ gets back, It has been a rough one with Foster out for some time,Tate out a bit, Mario gone"

Bar guy:"I wish they would have kept Carr"

(I wanted to do a facepalm but I was nice about it)

Wolf: "yeah, I liked Carr, but, he just never could read a defense and his eyes were not down field but looking at the rush"

Conversation died right there.

true story .........

so last night I went up to the bar a bit and (I have seen this guy before and we never talked to each other) I come out of the bathroom and he says "who we play this week?" I had a puzzled look on my face and he says "who does the Texans play this week?" I said we got "Carolina at home", he says "we should win this one" .. I said "hopefully no more injuries ...Carolina, the Colts and then the Titans"

end of conversation.

I am nice about things, I think it is interesting how I have gotten more people saying things to me now than ever before. I am not hating on these people, but if you mention Tony Hollings... they look at you like :mcnugget:

valleytexfan
12-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Haven't posted in a while...but I've been reading every day like always!

Seen A BUNCH of bandwagoners down here in the Valley (which is good and bad)!
On a side note, there's been a good showing from the fan club. (There's been an upstart Texans fan club "Los Tejanos Del Sur" which has been going since last year before the good times. They've helped a lot with pumping up Texans spirit and swag down here. They did the protest outside the CBS station, etc.)

But I've seen way more shirts, car flags, facebook posts, and just overall spirit and acceptance of our team like never before!

While part of me gets pissed since I've been with the team since 2002 and gone through a ton of lows with minimal highs, it's good that people finally see the Texans as a winner and a team that's a viable alternative to the girls in blue.

It's like the old quote, "When our team wins a championship, the bandwagoners will laugh and cheer while the diehards will cry!"

GO TEXANS!

jwmann2
12-17-2011, 03:06 PM

It's inevitable my friend. I'm a bengals fan. You should have seen Cincinnati in 2005 when they went to the playoffs and Carson and Ocho were in their prime. If the Rams win the next two super bowls wait and see the surge of fans that will follow them. It's disgusting. And I feel your pain. Kind of unfair to the true fans.

Dread-Head
12-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Don't have any stories. All of my Texans Family are all members of Blue Crew and have been around basically since the beginning. I don't much pay attention to people out in public... :thinking: Well, unless she's hot!

:thinking: Okay given that you have to TECHNICALLY leave your house to meet those young women who dance around brass poles I GUESS that would count as going out in "public".

Dread-Head
12-17-2011, 03:10 PM
All I'm sayin' is that I'm glad that "TheRealJoker" can finally can get laid!! Dude put up a challenge a long, long time ago about being celebate until the Texans making the playoffs.....

TheRealJoker.... I got this covered for you my brother!! Let me know when you're available..... *Chill the **** out Houston, I got TheRealJoker covered*

I think his nads exploded at the end of last season.

ObsiWan
12-17-2011, 03:37 PM
I think his nads exploded at the end of last season.

Oh... so that's what that sound was...!
I thought one of the local chemical plants had a storage tank blow up...
:kitten:

SAMURAITEXAN
12-17-2011, 04:42 PM
That's when my nightgames play. Most of the time I get to watch my Texans at 7pm, that's ok :)

I demand a trade of hours we watch!!!!:pissed: It's like you are watching noon game on Sunday night game hours and you can have all beers you want. Damn life isn't fair.

Go Texans!!!

Jaysol
12-17-2011, 04:56 PM
I demand a trade of hours we watch!!!!:pissed: It's like you are watching noon game on Sunday night game hours and you can have all beers you want. Damn life isn't fair.

Go Texans!!!

I liked noon games, gave me time to go out, get drunk watching the Texans, and still have plenty of time to rest before classes Monday morning!

Worked really well this season! :toast2::shots::drunk::ouch:

:texan:

SAMURAITEXAN
12-17-2011, 05:58 PM
I liked noon games, gave me time to go out, get drunk watching the Texans, and still have plenty of time to rest before classes Monday morning!

Worked really well this season! :toast2::shots::drunk::ouch:

:texan:
Ha ha nice but education is very important so don't drink too much(Sounds like your parents huh?). My point is I am watching the noon game at 3AM Japan time!!!

Go Texans!!!

Trail.Blazr
12-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Living in NC for the past 15 years, transplanted from San Antonio, I have been a die hard for all of it. I bought my first jersey: #8, DESPITE my disgust in not taking Julius Peppers, who I got to see a bit of prior to the draft. Also, being in NC, I don't get the fair weather crowd, but 20 miles from UNC Chapel Hill, I have been getting a lot of folks comments of "How about ol' TJ?"

Funny, yesterday I met a lady who's husband is from Houston and is still a tacks fan. She went on to comment about how glad they are to see the Texans doing so well this season, and that Mario Williams has sure made a difference on the offensive line this year :thud: But, knowing they aren't a fan, I just laughed inside and nodded, saying yes, they are on a roll.

It's kind of nice to be recognized and congratulated by most of my friends and people who know me as a Texan Fan. Out here, that doesn't happen if you are a fair weather fan.

I wouldn't be too bitter with BANDWAGONers.. I'm more bitter that it took TOO long for them to jump on. They do need a reason :toropalm:

But if you HAVE to be bitter, I would love to hear from the first person that can convince a Bandwagoner that they should rush out and buy a Custom Petey Faggins jersey, given he's going to be the first Texan into the HOF :evil:

BullBlitz
12-18-2011, 01:42 PM
You said it perfectly right there ^^^^.

We earned the right to be a bit put off when interlopers try to puff their chest out and act like they been surfing the same waves these past 10 years.

I love the Astros and the Rockets, but my overall interest in both basketball and baseball has been falling drastically every year for the past 10 to 20 years. I've realized that football is the only sports love of my life, and MMA is now 2nd on my list. Both of those sports involved nothing but sheer aggression and a requirement for physical domination of the opponent. I feel as though basketball and baseball are more of a "finesse" sport.

The Texans have become my obsession. If I lived in the Houston area, or was rich enough to fly to Houston every week, I'd be at every game. 24/7.

When I was down here for the Raiders game, I wagged my finger at the store clerks in the sports stores at The Galleria. "You don't have CRAP for Texans fans in here. This is pitiful. It's obscene. I'm telling' you guys, you laugh at me today when I say this, but you gonna' see lots of Texans gear kiosks set up in the aisles outside your store. You better get on the stick and get your stuff NOW and start promoting it. This is our year. 100% all the way."

They just waved me off, smiling and acting like I was crazy or something. LOL.

See, you and I (and others here) after halfway through the season WE knew this year was different. Last year, we could tell by about week 4 that it was just a mirage. But THIS year? We knew. We knew before TJ threw the TD pass to Walter to seal the AFC South. We knew before Schaub went down with the injury. And so it's hard to see people storm in after the Bengals game and just act like they been paying rent the past 10 years.

Don't be pompous. No, you didn't "earn" anything, and no, you didn't "know" that this year would be different. You thought so. Big deal, so did thousands of others. You and I are fans just like anyone else who has just jumped into the excitement of a winning season. Just because some of us have been supporting the team for years doesn't make anyone more of a fan. If they want us to win, there's no difference.

Hervoyel
12-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Where are all these BANDWAGON Muff-huggas coming from?

Wait a second.... Where'd they all go?

:toropalm:

Showtime100
12-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Wait a second.... Where's they all go?

:toropalm:

Denver. :)

Playoffs
12-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Wait a second.... Where's they all go?Fair weather muff-huggas. :foottap:

False Start
12-18-2011, 05:50 PM
:cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket:

ObsiWan
12-18-2011, 06:07 PM
:thinking:
I think they're all at the bandwagon ticket office trying to get their :money: back

:texflag:

Playoffs
12-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Ha!

Google "muff hugga", then click on "images".

Hover your mouse over the first five results. http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/images/smilies/(giggle).gif

brakos82
12-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Ha!

Google "muff hugga", then click on "images".

Hover your mouse over the first five results. http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/images/smilies/(giggle).gif

I think I'd rather not. :kitten:

rush2112mn
12-19-2011, 04:37 PM
I heard a lot of them falling off after yesterdays loss......I waved goodbye and dont come back....

TexansBull
12-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Sigh. There they go. Now we have our elbow room back.

Kimmy
01-08-2012, 01:12 AM
Saw a LOT of them at Reliant today. Waited about 15 minutes at the merchandise line because these fans were looking at shirts, and couldn't decide.

But instead of getting mad, this kept going through my head LOL

all are welcome, all welcome! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Dc-J_mD7c)

SAMURAITEXAN
01-08-2012, 01:53 AM
Saw a LOT of them at Reliant today. Waited about 15 minutes at the merchandise line because these fans were looking at shirts, and couldn't decide.

Yep. It's all good. We need more fans not only in Houston but outside of Houston as well.

Go Texans!!!

Carr Bombed
01-08-2012, 02:13 AM

:toropalm: Don't remind me.

And as far as the "bandwagon muff-huggas" go. I usually go to a party on Sundays and the same people show up weekly, it's been a ritual for years. We had two "Die hard" Cowboy fans show up every week, always decked out in Cowboy gear. Well today both showed up decked out in full Texans gear.. :) As soon as they got out of their vehicles they were laughed at and clowned on, it was great. It's like the Cowboys are a sinking ship and the rats are running for up from the hull.

As far as the game.

Remember the years and YEARS of the great "was this the corner turning win" question? Well this was it. We just turned the corner. I'm so excited for the Texans and I've waited a long time for this. It feels good to be a Texans fan right now. There were people crying at the party I was at...(hell I felt like crying too). This city needed this, it was a great relief. I felt like we finally arrived. As far as I'm concerned we're playing with house money from here on out, this season has already been a success no matter what happens from here on out.

Endcoachment
01-08-2012, 03:28 AM
At the end of the day we are all fans. There is really nothing separating any of you to me even if i was a fair weather fan. Some people dont like to waste their time watching a season that will get them no where. You cant blame them. This whole fair weather fan thing is redundant. In the past many people would have liked to be hardcore texan fans...its just that the team never let them.

In all, i dont see why being a hardcore fan matters. Especially when we are all supposed to be hardcore and united right now. Isnt it time we all be hardcore.

kcdoubleeagle
01-08-2012, 03:40 AM
IMHO most bandwagon fans are casual football fans anyway...sort of like my wife. She loves the Texans but could have cared less about them three years ago...Only so many of us can be total nerds I guess? Watch the drafts, etc...

Nitrofish
01-08-2012, 03:54 AM
Zzzzzziiiiipppp... THUD. MY fandom is bigger than your fandom!

C'mon man!

Kthx
01-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Yeah so yesterday me and a few friends go up to the same bar we always go to, we get there at 2pm because we figure that there are going to be tons of people there. Of course we find out that they took reservations the night before the game and like 90% of the tables are reserved. Anyways we got lucky because one of my friends had to reserve a table but it sorta pissed me off that someone who has been there since week one watching games couldn't get a good seat and there are a bunch of newbies up there reserving tables because they want to only watch the texans during the playoffs.

Theres my bandwagoneer rant for the day.

EllisUnit
01-08-2012, 09:39 AM
At the end of the day we are all fans. There is really nothing separating any of you to me even if i was a fair weather fan. Some people dont like to waste their time watching a season that will get them no where. You cant blame them. This whole fair weather fan thing is redundant. In the past many people would have liked to be hardcore texan fans...its just that the team never let them.

In all, i dont see why being a hardcore fan matters. Especially when we are all supposed to be hardcore and united right now. Isnt it time we all be hardcore.

Now this is the stupidist crap i have ever heard and i now realize why ur rep is so red. I'm sorry but there is a big difference between us fans who were still supporting our texans and wearing their gear around during the 2-14 season, and those who werent. Yeah its time we all are united, all of us who have been here every step of the way. And yes we are all hardcore about it, just as we have been EVERY season. Get outta here with that **** dude, i dont respect people who jump on and off the bandwagon and could care less if they ever show support for the texans. If your not gonna show support ALL THE TIME dont show support at all.

Now if they decided now that we are successful and start to become hardcore that is fine, but when and if things go back south again they better suck it up and deal with it, but the problem is they wont, they will run back to another team that is beggining to show signs of winning, and thats why i am weary of all of the sudden "NEW" fans.

Carr Bombed
01-08-2012, 12:11 PM
At the end of the day we are all fans. There is really nothing separating any of you to me even if i was a fair weather fan. Some people don't like to waste their time watching a season that will get them no where. You cant blame them. This whole fair weather fan thing is redundant. In the past many people would have liked to be hardcore Texan fans...its just that the team never let them.

In all, i don't see why being a hardcore fan matters. Especially when we are all supposed to be hardcore and united right now. Isn't it time we all be hardcore.

The thread is about "bandwagon fans", not "fair whether fans" and yes, there's a difference.

Fair weather fans are fans who'll only consistently support and watch the team when they're winning. My dad is a "fair weather fan". This was the first season where he watched every single game, but that doesn't bother me, because people have different levels of dedication for sports. Fair weather fans are different from bandwagon fans because when the team isn't winning they just find something else to do.....not someone else to root for.

A bandwagon fan IS THE WORST. This is a fan who does have a great level of dedication for a sport, they just aren't dedicated to one team. They are too much of a coward to stick with the same team through thick and thin. They HAVE to root for a winner (see the cowboy fans in my earlier post) and are the ultimate front runner. Funny thing is, when you talk to them, they'll tell you they've ALWAYS been a fan.

And yes, even if you were a fair weather fan....there is a LOT that would "separate us". I don't really care what type of fan you are and I'm not going to tell anyone how to root for their team, but there would be a difference in us simply because I don't take Sundays off from being a Texans fan...that's a big difference. Whether you want to admit or not, if this team pulled off a miracle and won it all, it would mean more for the fans that followed this team since day one and had to deal with all of the failure and heartbreak early on. :rolleyes: It wasn't "fair weather fans or bandwagon fans" that were tearing up at that party yesterday. It was people who have been waiting 10 years for that moment.. It was almost like the tears of a proud parent who used to pick up their kid and deal with all of the scraped knees, cuts, and bruises when their kid fell....then saw that kid grow into a strong capable adult who could walk and stand tall by themself.

For the older fans who dealt with all the Oilers crap (that was before my time, my earliest football memory is the 35-3 debacle) yesterday's win meant even more. I'm not going to be naive and act like it didn't..

MEGA SWATT
01-08-2012, 12:23 PM

Being a "watch every second of every game-fan" from day 1, I don't agree with that. I don't think I'm better than you - but I still don't agree with your comments- it's quite ridiculous imo.

Endcoachment
01-09-2012, 01:29 AM
Being a "watch every second of every game-fan" from day 1, I don't agree with that. I don't think I'm better than you - but I still don't agree with your comments- it's quite ridiculous imo.

The whole bandwagon/hardcore issue is too old and one of the last remaining taboos of society. There is nothing wrong, even morally wrong with being on the bandwagon. Thats like me being a smoker saying 'wow you people only smoke at the bar, your not like me!, iv'e been smoking since i was 8!'. Listen to the way that sounds guys.

Now i do agree with you all if it was bandwagoners from out of town. But how could you possibly tell a bandwagon fan who is just becoming a fan now if they may have been a fan in the past? The whole bandwagon fan thing stinks to me because you cant even identify a bandwagon fan concretely. A lot of my friends would be considered bandwagon fans by you guys, but you won't know that they've attended games in the past, watched games on sundays. So you can't really call anyone a bandwagon fan unless you are this girl i know who flip flops to every team including being a 'hardcore' green bay fan this year (she even said shes a texans fan along with green bay.

It sound like what you guys have a problem with is loyalty. But to further my point, the WHOLE world of boxing is about being a bandwagon fan. Once your pony gets KO'd too many times, you call him a bum. I know these two sports are completely different, but it is still a moral issue. And the argument of a bandwagon fan in general is a morality issue.

I do get peeved by those instances where a 'bandwagon' fan would do something to show their ass, but I don't come home and write strangers about it. But please, if we do make it far to where the noobies flock in, accept them, it makes our fan base better. Last thing we want to become is another Steelers or even Cowgirls.

Unless there is some secret vip where only 'true' texans fans go, then there is no point in all this uneeded drama. Why do you all have to argue about who a true fan is? Its one of those things you cant see and cant stop. You cant see the air we are breathing but no one is arguing why we cant see it. I would be silly to fire you up by saying that one game you missed in november of 2004 makes you a bandwagon fan, or compare a ' go to every game fan' to 'watch every game on tv fan'. Oh, your not a real fan you've never been to a game...Oh, but i watch them all on tv, what about you you've never seen a game on tv...blah blah blah

Now, the large fanbase of terrible towels and who dats in this town is another anger issue and another thread.

GP
01-09-2012, 01:44 AM
The thread is about "bandwagon fans", not "fair whether fans" and yes, there's a difference.

Fair weather fans are fans who'll only consistently support and watch the team when they're winning. My dad is a "fair weather fan". This was the first season where he watched every single game, but that doesn't bother me, because people have different levels of dedication for sports. Fair weather fans are different from bandwagon fans because when the team isn't winning they just find something else to do.....not someone else to root for.

A bandwagon fan IS THE WORST. This is a fan who does have a great level of dedication for a sport, they just aren't dedicated to one team. They are too much of a coward to stick with the same team through thick and thin. They HAVE to root for a winner (see the cowboy fans in my earlier post) and are the ultimate front runner. Funny thing is, when you talk to them, they'll tell you they've ALWAYS been a fan.

And yes, even if you were a fair weather fan....there is a LOT that would "separate us". I don't really care what type of fan you are and I'm not going to tell anyone how to root for their team, but there would be a difference in us simply because I don't take Sundays off from being a Texans fan...that's a big difference. Whether you want to admit or not, if this team pulled off a miracle and won it all, it would mean more for the fans that followed this team since day one and had to deal with all of the failure and heartbreak early on. :rolleyes: It wasn't "fair weather fans or bandwagon fans" that were tearing up at that party yesterday. It was people who have been waiting 10 years for that moment.. It was almost like the tears of a proud parent who used to pick up their kid and deal with all of the scraped knees, cuts, and bruises when their kid fell....then saw that kid grow into a strong capable adult who could walk and stand tall by themself.

For the older fans who dealt with all the Oilers crap (that was before my time, my earliest football memory is the 35-3 debacle) yesterday's win meant even more. I'm not going to be naive and act like it didn't..

:clap:

Winning post. [/thread]

Yeah, bandwagon fans go with which team is hot and trending. I don't agree when people say those types of fans make the fan base better. How do they make it better, by being uneducated about our team and coming off as complete sports whores who didn't want anything to do with us the previous 9 years???

Oh but now we're cool and we're "it" and a person wants to jump aboard. Ah, I see. I remember that game from junior high and high school. Wasn't fun then, and isn't fun now.

Good post, CB. Morey still sucks, btw. ;)

Texecutioner
01-09-2012, 09:41 AM
The whole bandwagon/hardcore issue is too old and one of the last remaining taboos of society. There is nothing wrong, even morally wrong with being on the bandwagon. Thats like me being a smoker saying 'wow you people only smoke at the bar, your not like me!, iv'e been smoking since i was 8!'. Listen to the way that sounds guys.

I don't see being a smoker having any type of correlation to the "dedication" and "commitment" of being a die hard fan.

It sound like what you guys have a problem with is loyalty. But to further my point, the WHOLE world of boxing is about being a bandwagon fan. Once your pony gets KO'd too many times, you call him a bum. I know these two sports are completely different, but it is still a moral issue. And the argument of a bandwagon fan in general is a morality issue.

Maybe that is what you and your people you watch boxing or other sports do, but that isn't a fan at all. That's what a front running bandwagoner does that is "not" that a fan. I've been a fan of boxing and MMA for years as well as football of course, and no I don't hate on a guy and call him a bum the minute he loses to someone else, if I have been a fan of the guy, nor do I do that with my football team. If you're a fan, you're always looking out for your team's best interests and you're going to be emotionally invested somewhat into your team.

Unless there is some secret vip where only 'true' texans fans go, then there is no point in all this uneeded drama. Why do you all have to argue about who a true fan is? Its one of those things you cant see and cant stop. You cant see the air we are breathing but no one is arguing why we cant see it. I would be silly to fire you up by saying that one game you missed in november of 2004 makes you a bandwagon fan, or compare a ' go to every game fan' to 'watch every game on tv fan'. Oh, your not a real fan you've never been to a game...Oh, but i watch them all on tv, what about you you've never seen a game on tv...blah blah blah

You seem to be missing the point completely. If you live in Houston or around Houston and many Texans fans and then all of a sudden decided to root for the Texans, because they had a great season and made the playoffs that is the definition of a bandwagon fan. Fans who are going to be there for the good times, the bad times, the average times can understand the grind that it took to get there and aren't going to feel like they have the same thing in common as far as their joy goes when they see someone who just hopped on the ship when the team got good and it became convenient. It's like having a family member that all of a sudden is your best friend the minute they find out you've gotten a huge inheritance or hit the lotto. You know that their interest isn't genuine.

Quick II Draw
01-09-2012, 10:29 AM

How pretentious can you be?

So you, waiting in a line to purchase the same logo-emblazoned junk, are the "real" and "entitled" fan? Not that I doubt there was some moron holding up the line at a sporting event, but that action does not make him a bandwagon fan. Efficiency, courtesy and common sense are hardly prerequisites for a die-hard football fan.

Kimmy
01-09-2012, 10:32 AM
How pretentious can you be?

So you, waiting in a line to purchase the same logo-emblazoned junk, are the "real" and "entitled" fan? Not that I doubt there was some moron holding up the line at a sporting event, but that action does not make him a bandwagon fan. Efficiency, courtesy and common sense are hardly prerequisites for a die-hard football fan.

You obviously didn't read my entire post :fans:

MEGA SWATT
01-09-2012, 10:35 AM
I don't see being a smoker having any type of correlation to the "dedication" and "commitment" of being a die hard fan.

Maybe that is what you and your people you watch boxing or other sports do, but that isn't a fan at all. That's what a front running bandwagoner does that is "not" that a fan. I've been a fan of boxing and MMA for years as well as football of course, and no I don't hate on a guy and call him a bum the minute he loses to someone else, if I have been a fan of the guy, nor do I do that with my football team. If you're a fan, you're always looking out for your team's best interests and you're going to be emotionally invested somewhat into your team.

You seem to be missing the point completely. If you live in Houston or around Houston and many Texans fans and then all of a sudden decided to root for the Texans, because they had a great season and made the playoffs that is the definition of a bandwagon fan. Fans who are going to be there for the good times, the bad times, the average times can understand the grind that it took to get there and aren't going to feel like they have the same thing in common as far as their joy goes when they see someone who just hopped on the ship when the team got good and it became convenient. It's like having a family member that all of a sudden is your best friend the minute they find out you've gotten a huge inheritance or hit the lotto. You know that their interest isn't genuine.

:toropalm: agree

TexansBull
01-09-2012, 11:13 AM
At the Tennessee game two weeks ago I heard a someone say:

"Did you hear Daniel Owens isn't playing?" It was funny for a second. Then just embarrassing.

The only thing that bothers me is when fans are rooting for one team because they are winning, and the second they lose a game they are off the wagon talking smack and with the next hot team.

Quick II Draw
01-09-2012, 11:25 AM
You obviously didn't read my entire post :fans:

Actually, I did.

I just quoted your labeling of the offending customer as bandwagon, which is the only thing I addressed. The portion I omitted was just your half-hearted attempt to appear virtuous by restraining yourself and graciously tolerating the supposed bandwagon fans.

Again, anyone would be frustrated at some rube holding up the line who is oblivious to the others around him. But it is ridiculous and obnoxious to imply that those actions make him a bandwagon fan, whereas the high-minded Texans loyal couldn't possibly do such a thing. Case in point: if buying merchandise makes him bandwagon, what the hell were you doing there?

Kimmy
01-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Actually, I did. I omitted was just your half-hearted attempt to appear virtuous by restraining yourself and graciously tolerating the supposed bandwagon fans.

And I omitted the questions they were asking; "is he the quarterback?" "what position does he play" and there was one more I couldn't make out about Arian.

My post wasn't to slam. /endconvo

Sent from my Sprint EVO 3D using Tapatalk

Texan_Bill
01-09-2012, 11:53 AM
And I omitted the questions they were asking; "is he the quarterback?" "what position does he play" and there was one more I couldn't make out about Arian.

My post wasn't to slam. /endconvo

Sent from my Sprint EVO 3D using Tapatalk

That's funny to me. Especially after someone (my apologies - I forget who it was) that said they heard someone ask for a number 90 Andre Johnson jersey - or something to that effect.

No worries tho', the more the merrier. Just educate them.

Perki-Perk
01-09-2012, 12:29 PM
This is why people hate Texans fans, we are so proud and pompous! lol. I remember the days when I couldn't figure out what jersey to order online (while serving our great nation from Japan) because it was between Carr or Boselli and later Sharper. Well I added to Carr jerseys to my expansion jerseys. Then with Davis and Slaton, I wasn't exactly sold, though almost got a Slaton jersey. Now I have about 8 jerseys, and it don't include Carr or anyone who doesn't play now. I am completely against anyone who wears jerseys from players that didn't pan out. In fact, the place I watch games at we feel like it's a curse and people are not allowed to wear non current players jerseys. Of course, Moon and Campbell and any HOUSTON Oiler throwbacks are the exception.

After the Oilers bounced, I kind of lost contact with football for a while, tried to watch, but it wasn't the same, no home team to root for. I tried to become a Cowboy fan, tried to follow the Titans, but truth be told, I'm a native Houstonian, and my heart has always bled Rocket red and Oiler blue (and to a minor degree, Astros orange back in the Jose Cruz days, Biggio is my all time favorite by far though!) When I found out we were getting the Texans, it was a joyful time. Been a fan ever since. Go Texans! Shock the World.

P.S. Oh sorry, I just joined this board last year...I was on clutchfans before that....hope this doesn't affect my fandom from the computer chair internet chiefs!

gtexan02
01-09-2012, 12:36 PM
The more the merrier. Means more nationally televised games for me to watch next year :) As opposed to the .5 (NFLN on T barely counts)

Dread-Head
01-09-2012, 02:43 PM
:popcorn:

Endcoachment
01-09-2012, 04:33 PM
My point is who cares. There is bandwagoning in every imaginable venue. So you all rather it be a small community of fans that are hardcore rather than potentially making those bandwagon fans into hardcore members?

I have ben here since inception but even I know that this means next to nothing for anybody except me. There have been years where I stuck through it, and then there are years where I ignore football altogether. I may be a bandwagon fan to you all, but to me all of you see yourselves as the almighty fans when really your just arguing over penis size because that is what "I've been a longer fan than you have accumulates to. You aren't a better fan, to me you just like to waste your time on things that don't mater.

Scoobs
01-09-2012, 04:52 PM
I just joined the forum recently, but I've been following the Texans since 2002. Before then, I've always watched the NFL, but I hadn't really followed a team. Being from Canada, I always followed my home provinces CFL team, and figured that it was time I picked an NFL team to follow. Naturally, since the Texans came into the league when I decided to follow a team, I began to pay attention to them.

Being from Saskatchewan, I've had a lot of "Why on earth do you follow the Texans?" when I've been asked who my team was. It's almost as if I was expected to follow the Packers, Steelers, Vikings, Seahawks or Colts, since those are the most popular teams up here.

But whatever... I've been with this team through the lows, and it's sure nice to be a fan now. For the first time I actually got a positive comment when wearing my Texans hat around my city.

One of my goals in life is to eventually make it down to Houston to catch a Texans game in person... Sure, I could probably drive to Minneapolis to watch them play the Vikings, but I'd rather sit in Reliant with 70,000 Texans fans.

Austex
01-09-2012, 05:09 PM

Yawn. This is the same useless post that runs rampant on the main board. So I'm not a "true" fan because I don't go to games and hang out with you and your buddies? It's like saying that Dirty's makes the best burgers but since you weren't the first one in line you have no right to say you enjoy them. What's the point? Enjoy the game, praise the team, and pray for victory!!

Grams
01-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Bandwagon fans are those that only follow the team if it is winning.

They do not know if our tight end is Owen Daniels or Daniel Owens or the name of the current QB.

Those that have been following the team for a while, but have just found this message board are not classified as bandwagon fans, they are noobs - as they are new members of the boards.

Marcus
01-09-2012, 05:21 PM
I just joined the forum recently, but I've been following the Texans since 2002. Before then, I've always watched the NFL, but I hadn't really followed a team. Being from Canada, I always followed my home provinces CFL team, and figured that it was time I picked an NFL team to follow. Naturally, since the Texans came into the league when I decided to follow a team, I began to pay attention to them.

Being from Saskatchewan, I've had a lot of "Why on earth do you follow the Texans?" when I've been asked who my team was. It's almost as if I was expected to follow the Packers, Steelers, Vikings, Seahawks or Colts, since those are the most popular teams up here.

But whatever... I've been with this team through the lows, and it's sure nice to be a fan now. For the first time I actually got a positive comment when wearing my Texans hat around my city.

One of my goals in life is to eventually make it down to Houston to catch a Texans game in person... Sure, I could probably drive to Minneapolis to watch them play the Vikings, but I'd rather sit in Reliant with 70,000 Texans fans.

Hey Scoobs, that's a cool story. It reminds me when I was kid growing up in Ohio. I never did take to the Browns for some odd reason. But one day, I watched a TV special about Vince Lombardi's Packers. I think it was 1964 because my sister wasn't born yet. Anyways, listening to Lombardi talk inspired me. He kinda had that knack with people. :) So Green Bay was my team even after I moved to Houston in 67. That was the year of the Ice Bowl. Greatest game I've ever watched.

After Lombardi and Starr retired, I then started following the Oilers, to be followed by many agonizing years of frustration.

SteveSlaton20
01-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Though I've never been to a Texans game, I've followed them Regiliously ever since 2002. I remember back in church camp I would always wear my Houston Texans hat and some dude came up to me and asked me, man you like the Texans? And replied with a hell yeah! And he replied back with, at least you're a true fan. This was after the '05 season IIRC.

I cannot wait until I go to a Texans game in person. Maybe next year I will try.