PDA

View Full Version : Early thoughts on the Tampy Bay game?

Texn4life
11-07-2011, 07:17 PM
I know most people have thought that this game would be one of the toughest in the 2nd half of our schedule, but I honestly think this game sets up perfect for us to control the ball and come out with a comfortable win. They're banged up, and almost gave up 200 yards rushing to the Saints so we can definitely run the ball on them. We'll also be playing against our old buddy Frank Okam who will most likely be starting in Gerald McCoy's place. OD and Dreesen can also have big days this week for us. If we take care of the ball we will win the game. Any thoughts?

Vinny
11-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Tampa is tougher at home but I don't think they match up well vs us. They don't have a great edge rush, their push up the middle isn't impressive. That isn't even the bad news....their rush defense is awful. Frank Okam won't know what hit him (he was out last week vs Saints).

Josh Freeman has been very very unimpressive this year too. So has their wide outs and Winslow is having a snoozer of a year as well. I don't like the creativity of their offensive scheme....I think they will buckle under pressure this weekend. I don't see the Texans losing this one.

Texn4life
11-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Tampa is tougher at home but I don't think they match up well vs us. They don't have a great edge rush, their push up the middle isn't impressive. That isn't even the bad news....their rush defense is awful. Frank Okam won't know what hit him (he was out last week vs Saints).

Josh Freeman has been very very unimpressive this year too. So has their wide outs and Winslow is having a snoozer of a year as well. I don't like the creativity of their offensive scheme....I think they will buckle under pressure this weekend. I don't see the Texans losing this one.

It looks like we see this game pretty similarly. We're dealing with a young team that's starting to lose confidence in itself so we need to jump on them early. If we get up by a score or 2 then I can see them throwing up all over themselves.

They do have 2 good young wideouts so we need to make sure we keep them in check.
I'm shocked that Mike Williams has performed as poorly as he has this year. I'm sure it'll be easy to make excuses for them, but the lockout may have really hurt these guys. I know Freeman organized some team workouts, but I can see how young guys could not take the offseason seriously and not stay on top of their game.

drs23
11-07-2011, 07:41 PM
It looks like we see this game pretty similarly. We're dealing with a young team that's starting to lose confidence in itself so we need to jump on them early. If we get up by a score or 2 then I can see them throwing up all over themselves.

They do have 2 good young wideouts so we need to make sure we keep them in check.
I'm shocked that Mike Williams has performed as poorly as he has this year. I'm sure it'll be easy to make excuses for them, but the lockout may have really hurt these guys. I know Freeman organized some team workouts, but I can see how young guys could not take the offseason seriously and not stay on top of their game.

If our D can put #5 on his backside early and often like they're capable of this will be another fun game to watch.

If it's in your area, of coarse. :foottap:

TheRealJoker
11-07-2011, 07:42 PM
This team is similar to the one we fielded during our 8-8 seasons under Kubiak. Not a whole lot of veteran leadership and a young coaching staff as well. They are talented, but we are the more mature team, which should make the difference in the 4th quarter.

Texn4life
11-07-2011, 07:47 PM
If our D can put #5 on his backside early and often like they're capable of this will be another fun game to watch.

If it's in your area, of coarse. :foottap:

I hope we get Marv Albert calling the game again. It sounds weird having him do play-by-play for football but its still pretty cool in my opinion.

ThaShark316
11-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Ahh. My team in the non-Houston football years.

The Bucs are really good at coming back in games. Even if you jump on them, they'll keep playing. Rahiem Morris keeps them going for 60 minutes. Spotty run D, for sure. However, they are very good at getting that key stop that might just keep them around in games where they may trail.

This game is EXTREMELY huge for them. After GB in week 11, they get JAX, TEN, and CAR. 3 winnable games. They get to 5-5, they could very well be 8-5 with 3 games left.

Looking at their defense, they are having MAJOR issues with not only the run, but shockingly, the pass as well. They are at the bottom of the league in both. That said, they seem to play better D at home. The road defense is atrocious. At home, they seem to play better. (NO put up 190+ on the ground at the dome, under 80 in Tampa)

Freeman's putting up more yards, but making more mistakes than he's accustomed to. Bottle up Blount, and like it was said in this thread, jump on them early. However, bury them. They've had games where they trailed big and came back to either win, or lose close but scare you.

ThaShark316
11-07-2011, 07:57 PM
I hope we get Marv Albert calling the game again. It sounds weird having him do play-by-play for football but its still pretty cool in my opinion.

Actually, funny enough, we WILL have Marv Albert doing the game this week.

Vinny
11-07-2011, 08:00 PM

I'm shocked that Mike Williams has performed as poorly as he has this year. I'm sure it'll be easy to make excuses for them, but the lockout may have really hurt these guys. I know Freeman organized some team workouts, but I can see how young guys could not take the offseason seriously and not stay on top of their game.Williams looks very slow this season compared to last year. No long speed, no real quickness either...perhaps he coasted all offseason and lost a little of his edge like Chris Johnson obviously did.

Hervoyel
11-07-2011, 08:07 PM

This. Jacksonville after the bye will be a much tougher test IMO. Tampa Bay is a must win but it's not the kind of must win that a team gets all twisted up inside over. I think the Texans just go there, play their game on offense and defense, and come out with a win.

Wolf
11-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Houston Texans expected to attack Tampa Bay Buccaneers' porous run defense

TAMPA As huge a hole as DT Gerald McCoy's season-ending biceps injury creates, the Bucs already had problems stopping the run for most of this season.

Tampa Bay allowed 195 rushing yards in Sunday's loss, when coach Raheem Morris said his defensive front was "flat-out out-physicalled" by the Saints. The Bucs, who rank 26th in run defense (132.4 yards), won't have it any easier Sunday, when the Texans' second-ranked rushing attack comes to town.

Houston RBs Arian Foster and Ben Tate each ran for more than 100 yards in Sunday's rout of the Browns and are among the NFL's top 10 rushers. The AFC South-leading Texans, who average 155.1 yards rushing, have won three straight.

"I think they're coming in hot," DT Frank Okam said. "Arian and Ben Tate have been a dynamic duo back there. They're playing (with) one of the top offensive lines in the league as a unit right now. It's definitely going to be a challenge."

S Tanard Jackson

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/houston-texans-expected-to-attack-tampa-bay-buccaneers-porous-run-defense/1200474

TheRealJoker
11-07-2011, 08:35 PM
This. Jacksonville after the bye will be a much tougher test IMO. Tampa Bay is a must win but it's not the kind of must win that a team gets all twisted up inside over. I think the Texans just go there, play their game on offense and defense, and come out with a win.

Sounds like this isn't really a "must win game"... but rather a "must play well game"!!!

TexansFanatic
11-07-2011, 08:38 PM

Houston's favored by 3 in this one.

I can still hardly believe the good guys are sitting at 6-3. I can't imagine how 7-3 might feel.

FirstTexansFan
11-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Sounds like this isn't really a "must win game"... but rather a "must play well game"!!!

Quit yer bishin.. you're getting laid this year :)

badboy
11-07-2011, 08:56 PM
We need to pound them with our RBs, Walter and the TEs. Once each half, Matt should play action and catch them asleep. 23-10.

Texan_Bill
11-07-2011, 09:04 PM
I said this last night.... This Tampa game is the type of game that this team has laid an egg in, in the past. We'll see what they are "really" made of. It won't have to be a lopsided win, but a win. I don't care if it's ugly or not.

To me, it's a big difference to be 7-3 v. 6-4 going into the bye week...

ThaShark316
11-07-2011, 09:26 PM
I said this last night.... This Tampa game is the type of game that this team has laid an egg in, in the past. We'll see what they are "really" made of. It won't have to be a lopsided win, but a win. I don't care if it's ugly or not.

Agreed. Difference between 8 or 9-3, as well.

The Pencil Neck
11-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Well, like all Texans games, this one worries me.

I'm not so much worried about the Buccs as I am worried about us. The only way we lose is if we beat ourselves. We're moving into territory new for this club.

We need to come out and pound the ball on offense. And on defense, we're going to get a bigger test than we've gotten in the past 3 weeks.

Let's see how far this defense has progressed.

30-20, Texans.

TexansFanatic
11-07-2011, 09:47 PM

Absolutely right.

CloakNNNdagger
11-07-2011, 10:03 PM

He is probably returning out of necessity. He has had a significant calf injury. Bringing some back too early after a calf injury increases the possibility of an Achilles rupture, especially in a huge lineman who requires powerful pushoff. I'm certainly not wishing this on him. But I tend to doubt that he returns this week at full strength.

GP
11-07-2011, 10:17 PM

I'm not so much worried about the Buccs as I am worried about us. The only way we lose is if we beat ourselves. We're moving into territory new for this club.

We need to come out and pound the ball on offense. And on defense, we're going to get a bigger test than we've gotten in the past 3 weeks.

30-20, Texans.

We're agreeing too much lately.

This is about whether the Texans get careless and allow the Bucs to find a new lease on life or not.

All it takes is a fluke special teams play or a lack of containment on their QB's scrambling ability, and the Bucs have an honest shot.

I want to see Foster-Tate-Ward all day long, clutch catches by our TEs in those creatively planned routes that get them down the field, and a defense that is physical and relentless.

This is about the Texans. Do they push onward, or do they take their bye week early???

Texan_Bill
11-07-2011, 10:22 PM

30-20, Texans.

We're agreeing too much lately.

This is about whether the Texans get careless and allow the Bucs to find a new lease on life or not.

All it takes is a fluke special teams play or a lack of containment on their QB's scrambling ability, and the Bucs have an honest shot.

I want to see Foster-Tate-Ward all day long, clutch catches by our TEs in those creatively planned routes that get them down the field, and a defense that is physical and relentless.

This is about the Texans. Do they push onward, or do they take their bye week early???

Yeah.... this creeping me out. The Pencil Neck and GP agreeing on shite????

:eek:

Seriously, can y'all two go back to being diametrically opposed? It's more fun that way! :D

Nawzer
11-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Gotta win big road games. It was nice to beat the Titans, Jags, and Browns but the Bucs will provide a big test.

gwallaia
11-07-2011, 10:24 PM
It is my hope that the Foster-Tate duo can keep on chugging and Dreesen continues his solid play and we are able to keep AJ on the bench for this one.

The bye week is coming up at a good time and hopefully AJ will be ready to go against Jacksonville.

Texan_Bill
11-07-2011, 10:29 PM
It is my hope that the Foster-Tate duo can keep on chugging and Dreesen continues his solid play and we are able to keep AJ on the bench for this one.

The bye week is coming up at a good time and hopefully AJ will be ready to go against Jacksonville.

Greg, while I'm not a betting man, I would however bet dollars to donuts that you won't see AJ until after the bye week v. Jax and I might consider sitting him v. JAX, too.

TheMatrix31
11-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Run it down their throats.

100+ for Foster and for Tate is the recipe for victory.

Play smart, don't give them extra possessions.

kiwitexansfan
11-08-2011, 02:59 AM
My gut says we win this one by about 7.

My gut has been pretty good this season.

Better talent, better co-ordinators, better fans :kitten: = win.

Vinny
11-08-2011, 10:42 AM

30-20, Texans.We're agreeing too much lately.

For perhaps the first time I no longer doubt the team as a cynic based on what I've seen from them and my observations of other teams around the league this season. I think this team is playing as well as any top team in the league. I don't see the Bucs in the same class of team as the Texans at this time. I would not be able to say this in any previous year. Most of the time I get kewl-aide sippers bashing me for being doubtful, but I was mostly right...but then again, I base my conclusions off observations and not hope.

The Texans are a better team than the Bucs in just about any category and just about any way you slice it. I even think Kubiak will even out-coach Raheem Morris...and that's a huge lol-wtf to those who know me, because I've questioned Kewbs game day approach for years and haven't seen him as the better game day coach most Sundays. I think Kubiak has developed much like out Center Meyers has. Early on he had some struggles....he got thrown to the ground a few times, but he has nimble feet and was fortunate to have a patient owner. The Texans are one of the best two or three teams in the AFC now. They are going to go to Tampa and beat the Bucs. It's just gonna happen.

BigBull17
11-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Tampa was my team in the non-Texan years, since Sapp was my favorite player. I don't see them beating us, unless we lay an egg.

Vinny
11-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Bucs just signed John McCargo to replace Gerald McCoy who is now on IR...again.

Thorn
11-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Tampa is 26th in the league on rush defense. Foster and Tate will both have another 100 yard day and the Texans will be 7-3 at the bye week.

The Pencil Neck
11-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Yeah.... this creeping me out. The Pencil Neck and GP agreeing on shite????

:eek:

Seriously, can y'all two go back to being diametrically opposed? It's more fun that way! :D

Yeah but it makes for much, much shorter posts.

Norg
11-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Its going to be physical and people are going to get nicked up....... Knocks on wood :kitten:

DexmanC
11-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Actually, funny enough, we WILL have Marv Albert doing the game this week.

Gus Johnson had to pick the year The Texans DON'T suck to leave CBS.
Can't win 'em all.

Goatcheese
11-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Tampa Bay defense is 32nd in yards allowed per play. :kitten:

The Steelers, Ravens, Jags, Sister Kissers, and Browns were all top 10.

thunderkyss
11-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Tampa Bay defense is 32nd in yards allowed per play. :kitten:

The Steelers, Ravens, Jags, Sister Kissers, and Browns were all top 10.

I thought most of our gripes have been about the Texans not winning games they should. On paper, this is a game they should win.

Fumbles, INTs, mental lapses...... those are the real enemies here.

El Tejano
11-09-2011, 11:41 AM
They got the Bucs favored +3

Dutchrudder
11-09-2011, 11:54 AM

Free money!

Texn4life
11-09-2011, 11:55 AM

+3 is a negative thing in the betting world. We're actually favored by 3 points. In the NFL they usually consider the home team having a 3 point curve which means Vegas considers us 6 points better than Tampa Bay if we were to play on a neutral field.

FirstTexansFan
11-09-2011, 12:03 PM
All these naysayers with kool-aid posts? That's it, we're doomed, it's the seventh sign, my non-church going butt is back in the pew early Sunday morning... no drinking for me anymore!

Bucs 21 - Texans 20 :overreact:

ObsiWan
11-09-2011, 01:59 PM
I thought most of our gripes have been about the Texans not winning games they should. On paper, this is a game they should win.

Fumbles, INTs, mental lapses...... those are the real enemies here.

Those things keep my worry level very high
...every game
:fans:

thunderkyss
11-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Those things keep my worry level very high
...every game
:fans:

The chances of those things increase as we get into shootouts.

I think Kubiak is intentionally clamping down this offense because of that.

purely unfounded speculation on my part.

76Texan
11-09-2011, 10:13 PM

30-20, Texans.

This is a game I think we should win by a score of 30-20, but with the Bucs scoring a TD in garbage time to mae the score look respectable.

However, it does feel like a trap game.
I really hate for it to be a nail biter; let's hope that doesn't happen.

Thorn
11-10-2011, 07:41 AM
I really hate for it to be a nail biter; let's hope that doesn't happen.

When the Texans start winning those nail biters and not because of crushing them in the first half and then crusing the rest of the game, we'll know the Texans have truely arrived.

Vinny
11-14-2011, 12:28 AM

:kitten:

ObsiWan
11-14-2011, 03:40 AM
edit: duplicate post

ObsiWan
11-14-2011, 03:42 AM
okay, okay... you called it.

Malloy
11-14-2011, 04:05 AM

Smartass, but spot on! ;)

SAMURAITEXAN
11-14-2011, 05:37 AM
You called it Vinny! :bender:

Go Texans!!!

Showtime100
11-14-2011, 06:16 AM
7-3. Early, late, and current thought. Hows about that.

FirstTexansFan
11-14-2011, 06:21 AM

All your hocus pocus psychic predictions! Burn him at the stake, he's a Witch! :)