PDA

View Full Version : Should we be happy about our kickoff and kickoff coverage game?

CloakNNNdagger
11-07-2011, 03:11 PM
This win is one that we are all happy to have under our belts. But this week, the Browns seemed to be given gifts that they were obviously not able to take advantage of. Can't keep on having the same problem and not expect it to kick us in the butt by good teams.

TEXANS:

Kickoffs (Number-In End Zone-Touchbacks) 6 - 2 - 0

Kickoff Returns (Number-Yards) 4 - 67

BROWNS:

Kickoffs (Number-In End Zone-Touchbacks) 4 - 2 - 0

Kickoff Returns (Number-Yards) 6 - 144

conundrum
11-07-2011, 03:23 PM
The Browns best player is Cribbs, he returns kicks for them. We tried to kick short to avoid having him run back a td.

badboy
11-07-2011, 03:32 PM
The Browns best player is Cribbs, he returns kicks for them. We tried to kick short to avoid having him run back a td.Why not just kick it thru end zone and start on 20? Too much to lose kicking it short as we found out kicking it straight to him.

Yankee_In_TX
11-07-2011, 03:33 PM
The Browns best player is Cribbs, he returns kicks for them. We tried to kick short to avoid having him run back a td.

LOL - I kept yelling he is the ONLY good offensive skill player on the team, why are you kicking it to him?!

Texn4life
11-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Why not just kick it thru end zone and start on 20? Too much to lose kicking it short as we found out kicking it straight to him.

I posted a thread earlier in the year about our kickoffs and got laughed at. I saw this as a problem for a while, and Hartmann was replaced on kickoffs shortly after that.

sandman
11-07-2011, 03:36 PM
6 total returns for 144 yeards, but 63 yards of that was on ONE return.

After that one, to conundrum's point, the returns were 13, 12, 13 and 12 giving them the ball at their own 30, 30, 32 and 35. And their first return out of the end zone was only to the 25.

5 drives starting between their own 25-35? Outside of the one long return, I'm not sure where the special teams play gifted them with great field position.

Wolf
11-07-2011, 03:44 PM
I wondered about why we just didn't kick it out of the endzone and mentioned it during the game thread.

Hartmann can kick it 90 yards so I can't see that an issue. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cakCcliNPXg)

I couldn't see the browns driving 80 yards consistently. but with cribbs he could punch one or two and with dawson's leg, they wouldn't need to go too far.. (my thoughts early in the game when it was fairly close)

El Tejano
11-07-2011, 03:48 PM
They did great against Tenn. Looks like Marciano is feeling comfortable about his job again. Time to light the match Bob.

The Pencil Neck
11-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Why not just kick it thru end zone and start on 20? Too much to lose kicking it short as we found out kicking it straight to him.

It's a lot easier to say "just kick it out of the end zone" than it is to actually do it. Hartmann is inconsistent. He's got a strong leg and he can get it out of the end zone but he's just as likely to accidentally squib it. Rackers doesn't have the leg to get it out of the end zone.

drunkcookie
11-07-2011, 03:57 PM
I was wondering myself, Cribbs is dangerous and IMO was one of the only chances the Browns had to put up points yesterday... One of the early kicks was fairly deep in the endzone, but Cribbs took a good running start on it... If Hartmann can nail it out consistantly he needs to be out there all of the time... Dunno what the deal is, maybe he doesn't keep it in bounds consistantly, who knows...

Side note: before the game Rackers was walking to the tunnel and pointed to Cribbs nearby and took a knee and laughed before the two shook hands etc.... Thought it was funny...

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using Tapakeg

CloakNNNdagger
11-07-2011, 04:11 PM
6 total returns for 144 yeards, but 63 yards of that was on ONE return.

After that one, to conundrum's point, the returns were 13, 12, 13 and 12 giving them the ball at their own 30, 30, 32 and 35. And their first return out of the end zone was only to the 25.

5 drives starting between their own 25-35? Outside of the one long return, I'm not sure where the special teams play gifted them with great field position.

This week was a stark contrast to our game with the Jags. You may want to review those stats in comparison.

badboy
11-07-2011, 04:11 PM
It's a lot easier to say "just kick it out of the end zone" than it is to actually do it. Hartmann is inconsistent. He's got a strong leg and he can get it out of the end zone but he's just as likely to accidentally squib it. Rackers doesn't have the leg to get it out of the end zone.But Hartman can kick it out. Squib it , you are on the bench.

dtran04
11-07-2011, 04:13 PM
For every kick out of bounds, Hartman also line drived the next one. Against the Ravens he mi**** one badly that line drived straight to Leach. Think that was the last straw.

Dutchrudder
11-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Just be glad we don't have to play the Bears this season. Hester would have a field day with our special teams...

thunderkyss
11-07-2011, 05:25 PM
But Hartman can kick it out. Squib it , you are on the bench.

A squib kick wouldn't have been much worse than what we did.

sandman
11-07-2011, 05:55 PM
This week was a stark contrast to our game with the Jags. You may want to review those stats in comparison.

I understand your point, which I think is that relative to previous performance, this was not 'on par'. That being said, with two touchbacks, their average starting field position was the 27 yard line.

They got burned once, then employed a strategy that completely mitigated the risk of a big play getting broke out on them while still forcing the Browns to drove 70-80 yards to score. I'm not sure I understand what is so bad about that.

Not trying to argue a point, and not being all Pollyanna about how I view it, but I'm not seeing the :overreact:

steelbtexan
11-07-2011, 06:18 PM
I'm not happy with the coverage teams. We hold our collective breaths every time there's a KR/PR.

Marciano hasn't adapted well tothe new wedge rules. IMHO

foo82
11-07-2011, 06:20 PM
So were those short kicks to the 20 yard line intentional or something? I didn't understand why Rackers did that twice.

The Pencil Neck
11-09-2011, 09:57 PM
So were those short kicks to the 20 yard line intentional or something? I didn't understand why Rackers did that twice.

Yes. The idea was to keep the ball out of Cribs' hands. So kick it high and short and let our coverage have enough time to get down there and make someone else catch it.

76Texan
11-09-2011, 11:36 PM
It's all entertainment!
We needed to give the Browns something to work with, LOL!