PDA

View Full Version : All right, it's time to revisit this. Who here is really glad Bob didn't fire Gary?

TexansFanatic
11-06-2011, 09:27 PM
I was someone who wasn't loudly calling for Kubiak's head at the end of the 2010 season, but I absolutely thought it was time for him to go.

I also thought it was silly to think Wade was going to make that big of a difference. I knew he was a good coach, but I didn't expect the kinds of results we've seen.

I'm really happy Gary's still our coach. I know this three game winning streak doesn't mean he is suddenly the greatest coach in the world, and I think there's still a chance he'll need to be fired in the not so distant future. If he screws this season up by winding up with a 9-7 record and a one-and-done bounce from the playoffs, or if the team reverts next season with a tougher schedule to a 6-10 team----then he will most definitely have to go.

But what if the only thing that kept this team from succeeding---that kept Gary from succeeding---was a lack of success? What if they're getting better with each successive win because they're learning what it takes to win? Wouldn't it have been a shame to not get a chance to see Gary reap the rewards of his struggles with this team?

steelbtexan
11-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Not me

It will be proven, Gary's been living right. 3 yr extention

Where's Peyton

Hervoyel
11-06-2011, 09:36 PM
I don't want to go here right now. I'm in a good mood and enjoying the win.

But...

Gary is still Gary. When you see the Texans down inside the 5 and they're running all over the Browns but suddenly throw the ball three straight times despite the fact that the field is small down there and the Browns are glued to everyone we send out..... that's Gary. Every time I see the Texans inexplicably abandon something that's working and then try to force something over and over again I think "**** you Gary". Every single time.

Now back to enjoying myself.

Runner
11-06-2011, 09:39 PM
What is the anomaly, years of struggle or a year with a sufficiently weak division/schedule to succeed?

With the talent this team has had, the Texans should have been in this position a couple of years ago, and might have been had a change been made.

Yes Gary is having success now that a competent defensive coordinator was selected for him. I'm happy the Texans are on their way to the playoffs and it's great to have a shot at playoff success. However, one year doesn't make him a great coach.

Showtime100
11-06-2011, 09:39 PM
I wonder how good we could be with a real coach.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/ShowtimeN15580/Houston%20Texans/105155IeKGJwTI.jpg

Jackie Chiles
11-06-2011, 09:40 PM

But...

Gary is still Gary. When you see the Texans down inside the 5 and they're running all over the Browns but suddenly throw the ball three straight times despite the fact that the field is small down there and the Browns are glued to everyone we send out..... that's Gary. Every time I see the Texans inexplicably abandon something that's working and then try to force something over and over again I think "**** you Gary". Every single time.

The game was pretty well taken care of by then, I wonder (maybe giving them too much credit) if they werent just showing something for film purposes. I think the Schaub TD run might have been another instance. Just giving future opponents something else to think about. Could be way off though, lol.

ObsiWan
11-06-2011, 09:41 PM
I just wish Jerruh had fired Wade a year ago so Uncle bob could have hired him last year instead of Gary's buddy. And yeah, I think Uncle Bob would have over-ruled Smithiak and hired Bum's boy.

houstonspartan
11-06-2011, 09:43 PM
It's not that simple. We are winning because of Wade, not because of Gary.

Gary is still Gary. He still makes me nervous and I still think he's a weak coach, for the most part.

It's about collecting talent. This team has always had the talent, and that talent is starting to gel. I firmly believe that another coach could have come in here and turned this team around.

Am I happy with our record? Yes.

Do I think Gary deserves SOME credit? Yes.

But I would have been just fine firing his ass.

Maddict5
11-06-2011, 09:44 PM

But...

umm... we were 21 pts up. the game was over. what do we learn by scoring another rush td there going up 28? is there a more opportune time to practice prob what is our biggest offensive weakness right now (rz passing offence) in a game situation?

Trap_Star
11-06-2011, 09:45 PM
i still want him gone.

Hervoyel
11-06-2011, 09:47 PM
The game was pretty well taken care of by then, I wonder (maybe giving them too much credit) if they werent just showing something for film purposes. I think the Schaub TD run might have been another instance. Just giving future opponents something else to think about. Could be way off though, lol.

I think he just gets stuck like a broken record on something that he wants to do and he'll pursue it until it either does or he costs us the game. Now we have a defense that can compensate for these weird "sequences" he springs on us. Who knows, maybe this "smartest guy in the room" bullshit is the price you pay for a truly gifted offensive mind. Whatever it is we now have a defense so it doesn't kill momentum like it has in the past.

I think Schaub took so much crap for not running earlier in the year (and that crap was deeply deserved) that he's just going for it when it's there. He shouldn't need a shit-storm of criticism to know to do that.

I'm getting out of this thread. Like I said, I don't want to be here. I'm happy tonight :)

Marcus
11-06-2011, 09:48 PM
:strangle:

I hope they go all the way just to spite all the "in-spiters".

RagingBull
11-06-2011, 09:49 PM
If we had Wade as D-Coordinator, Gary as O-Coordinator and Harbaugh as head coach, we could be so much better.

Hervoyel
11-06-2011, 09:50 PM
umm... we were 21 pts up. the game was over. what do we learn by scoring another rush td there going up 28? is there a more opportune time to practice prob what is our biggest offensive weakness right now (rz passing offence) in a game situation?

Can't not respond. We were 21 points up? So what? Ever see 21 points disappear in puff of smoke? We all have and too many times to count.

"When someone asks you if you're a god YOU SAY YES!" When you're on the 5 yard line you score a TD every chance you get. Anyone stupid enough to be practicing their RZ passing offense in a game situation deserves the comeback they get when it happens.

Maddict5
11-06-2011, 09:51 PM
and for the record, i was always in the minority that gary & wade would work well. despite that being the minoity view, i didnt exactly see that as going out on a limb- good offensive coaching & (finally) good defensive coaching + talent = good team. always that ppl around here were overrating the cowher persona that was a deemed requirement

TexansFanatic
11-06-2011, 09:51 PM
LOL Wow. Not one.

I don't disagree with anything that's been said in this thread though.

ObsiWan
11-06-2011, 09:53 PM

This is where I am. As you said, the game was well in hand. Why not work on your weaknesses?
I think that was a case of Gary (or Dennison) thinking, "You B@st@rds are going to run this play until you get it right".

Allstar
11-06-2011, 09:54 PM
It was the right call. We needed to get the defense right, and firing Kubes would have most likely caused the offense to take a step back, especially considering the lockout.

Scooter
11-06-2011, 09:56 PM
i've said ad nauseum that i want kubiak coaching this team and have made every excuse for him doing so. look at our offense, ben tate is our only first day draft pick (edit:forgot about duane) and schaub is our only major trade ... we have no major free agents. the flaw has always been in the executive department - hiring kubiak's friends. sure he outsmarts himself enough to notice, but it hardly overshadows the results on offense. with so few resources spent on the offense, and so much production, why cant we win?

one thing changed this year, and it changed at the executive level. our offense is the same. our playcalling is only slightly wrinkled from it's unveiling in 2006. the areas that are manned by those not in kubiak's fledgeling coaching tree are the difference. we now have a REAL defensive coordinator bringing in REAL assistants and using all those resources to acquire REAL talent.

i still think kubiak has what it takes to be the top guy, but he cant be shannahan - HC/OC/DC/GM all in one. to me that means smith needs to go, but we're otherwise in great shape with kubiak in charge now that wade's here.

it also speaks volumes to me that the team continues to buy into what kubiak is selling. no offseason, new defense, foster out, mario out, andre out ... and we play strong each week. it also continues to impress me that kubiak is leading our offense with 1/4 of the resources continually provided to the defense. stop to think about what this offense will look like when our defense provides the luxury of drafting a WR in the first round instead of searching for TE's in the 4th.

texanhead08
I would think Gary is pretty happy that Bob didn't fire Gary.

The Pencil Neck
I've defended Kubiak a lot. I think he's actually a pretty good coach but I think he's made some bad decisions on defensive coordinators. And because of that, I thought he should have been fired after last season.

And I've said as much in other threads.

Although I was worried that maybe Gary WAS the problem and we'd break down again, I thought that hiring Wade could be the absolute perfect thing for us. With Gary concentrating on the Offense and Wade concentrating on the Defense, this could be a great combination. There have been several teams that have had that sort of HC/Coordinator dichotomy and have been able to make it work.

So, I'm not surprised at the success of the combination. And I think we can do some damage in the playoffs once we get there.

Maddict5
11-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Can't not respond. We were 21 points up? So what? Ever see 21 points disappear in puff of smoke? We all have and too many times to count.

"When someone asks you if you're a god YOU SAY YES!" When you're on the 5 yard line you score a TD every chance you get. Anyone stupid enough to be practicing their RZ passing offense in a game situation deserves the comeback they get when it happens.

spin the historical texans rhetoric all you want but this team wasnt losing that game at that stage. i saw no harm in throwing a few passes there for a bit of work. we had that game won, practice things that might help you win another one down the road.

steelbtexan
11-06-2011, 09:59 PM
:strangle:

I hope they go all the way just to spite all the "in-spiters".

Me too

stingray
11-06-2011, 10:06 PM
i've said ad nauseum that i want kubiak coaching this team and have made every excuse for him doing so. look at our offense, ben tate is our only first day draft pick and schaub is our only major trade ... we have no major free agents. the flaw has always been in the executive department - hiring kubiak's friends. sure he outsmarts himself enough to notice, but it hardly overshadows the results on offense. with so few resources spent on the offense, and so much production, why cant we win?

one thing changed this year, and it changed at the executive level. our offense is the same. our playcalling is only slightly wrinkled from it's unveiling in 2006. the areas that are manned by those not in kubiak's fledgeling coaching tree are the difference. we now have a REAL defensive coordinator bringing in REAL assistants and using all those resources to acquire REAL talent.

i still think kubiak has what it takes to be the top guy, but he cant be shannahan - HC/OC/DC/GM all in one. to me that means smith needs to go, but we're otherwise in great shape with kubiak in charge now that wade's here.

it also speaks volumes to me that the team continues to buy into what kubiak is selling. no offseason, new defense, foster out, mario out, andre out ... and we play strong each week. it also continues to impress me that kubiak is leading our offense with 1/4 of the resources continually provided to the defense. stop to think about what this offense will look like when our defense provides the luxury of drafting a WR in the first round instead of searching for TE's in the 4th.

You are absolutely right. Besides Duane Brown and Ben Tate, the offense has been ignored in the early part of the draft.

thunderkyss
11-06-2011, 10:07 PM
I was someone who wasn't loudly calling for Kubiak's head at the end of the 2010 season, but I absolutely thought it was time for him to go.

I was probably one of the more patient Kubiak guys here.

I thought he deserved to come back in 2010 & reap the benefits of his 4 years (then) of team building. When we finished 6-10 & lost in some of the most unimaginable ways, I really didn't see him coming back for another year, at least not with the same GM as well.

I didn't buy McNair's "too much turmoil" reasoning either. I thought the division was ours for the taking, didn't see it getting much easier & we failed to do what needed to be done, as a team.

All that said, it's way too early for this thread. Winning this division, beating the teams we should beat... nah, it is not time to rethink Kubiak's position on this team..... definitely not time for anyone to say, "I'm glad he's still here"

We've got pro-bowlers & 1st & 2nd round picks all over this team, we should have won this division because it is our division to lose. What's going on with the 0-8 Colts further prove that. We're way beyond the "should beat playoff contender" stage. We should beat Super Bowl Contenders.

Maybe I'm still drunk on the koolaid (1 part koolaid 3 parts rum). But that's my opinion of this team.

I said it before the season started, if I were king (McNair) the Texans need to make a good showing in the AFC Championship game before I would be happy with Gary Kubiak.

GK is under contract through next year (I believe) one & done might get him another year here in Houston. So he's got this year & next to make this team a bona-fide Super Bowl contender before I extend him or call the dogs off or anything like that.

:koolaid:

Texan_Bill
11-06-2011, 10:09 PM
i still want him gone.

:foottap: Really Trap, really??

You and I really need to talk!! LOL!!

TexansFanatic
11-06-2011, 10:11 PM
I've defended Kubiak a lot. I think he's actually a pretty good coach but I think he's made some bad decisions on defensive coordinators. And because of that, I thought he should have been fired after last season.

I think this is what I was looking for.

So, you thought he should have been fired after last season, but you're glad he didn't get fired?

steelbtexan
11-06-2011, 10:14 PM
and for the record, i was always in the minority that gary & wade would work well. despite that being the minoity view, i didnt exactly see that as going out on a limb- good offensive coaching & (finally) good defensive coaching + talent = good team. always that ppl around here were overrating the cowher persona that was a deemed requirement

Oh wise one, did you also see Peyton going down for the yr?

If you did who's going to cover next week? Win the SB? Inquiring minds want to know. Not for betting purposes. LOL

The Pencil Neck
11-06-2011, 10:16 PM
I think this is what I was looking for.

So, you thought he should have been fired after last season, but you're glad he didn't get fired?

I wasn't even pissed in the offseason when he wasn't fired because I saw them making moves to fix what was wrong: the defense.

If they had fired him, I would expect someone to come in that would totally change our offense and I would have expected that to set us back. With the offense still in place (and a draft I really liked and off season moves I really liked), I had high expectations for the season although I tried not to let myself get carried away with them.

I think it may be a little early to say "I'm glad". I'm happy with how the season has gone so far but like a lot of fans, I know how quickly the whole thing can go south. So I'm not prepared to call this season a complete success, yet.

steelbtexan
11-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Gary Kubiak is one of the luckiest men that has ever been a HC in the NFL.

There's very little debate on this.

houstonspartan
11-06-2011, 10:22 PM
I wasn't even pissed in the offseason when he wasn't fired because I saw them making moves to fix what was wrong: the defense.

If they had fired him, I would expect someone to come in that would totally change our offense and I would have expected that to set us back. With the offense still in place (and a draft I really liked and off season moves I really liked), I had high expectations for the season although I tried not to let myself get carried away with them.

I think it may be a little early to say "I'm glad". I'm happy with how the season has gone so far but like a lot of fans, I know how quickly the whole thing can go south. So I'm not prepared to call this season a complete success, yet.

No, you saw BOB make changes on the defense.

Let's not kid ourselves into thinking that Gary hired Wade. He didn't.

houstonspartan
11-06-2011, 10:23 PM

Agree. Amazing, isn't it?

I'll take it one step further and say he's easily one of the most coddled coaches in all of sports.

Maddict5
11-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Oh wise one, did you also see Peyton going down for the yr?

If you did who's going to cover next week? Win the SB? Inquiring minds want to know. Not for betting purposes. LOL

:yawn: it wasnt exactly clairvoyance.. just common sense- which isnt always prevalent around here

what has peyton going down got to do with us being a good team? we've beaten and nearly beaten the colts many times when we were flawed. even before mannings injury, what had the colts done to improve last yrs fading team?

and yes i wagered quite heavily (for me anyway) that they would win the division. shouldve asked me earlier ;)

TexansFanatic
11-06-2011, 10:24 PM

I'm certainly not going to debate that.

I can't imagine an owner more patient than Bob McNair. We should all be so lucky as to have a boss like that.

steelbtexan
11-06-2011, 10:27 PM
I would make a crack about old people using the internet but then I remembered my age. What that has to do with GK, I don't know. Fire Gary! He Sucks! Fire the knave!

How old are you?

DB may welcome you to the old geezers club. LOL

TexansBull
I am glad he is coaching but in the end I really don't care who is coaching the team. Just get a Superbowl.

See, here is what is going to happen. Instead of "fire kubiak threads because he can't get us to the playoffs," we are going to have "fire kubiak because he can't get us to the superbowl or win the superbowl." Its always going to be something, so I want him to hurry up and win one. I don't think this fan base could handle an andy reid type of record(no superbowl win just playoffs) or even last for a bill cowher type of record(a superbowl win only after several years of going to the playoffs.

The Pencil Neck
No, you saw BOB make changes on the defense.

Let's not kid ourselves into thinking that Gary hired Wade. He didn't.

I didn't say Gary made the changes on defense. Notice I used the words They and Them. The TEXANS made the change on defense that needed to be made. Who it is in the organization who made that step is irrelevant to me. The fact that the step was made is the only thing I care about.

HC's don't always get to pick their Coordinators. Sometimes the GMs do it and in this case the owner did it. Sometimes coaches will sacrifice a coordinator to save their job and sometimes they won't. Doesn't matter. Putting together a team that works matters. And getting a good DC (like Wade) to pair with Kubiak was a sound move that I liked.

steelbtexan
11-06-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm certainly not going to debate that.

I can't imagine an owner more patient than Bob McNair. We should all be so lucky as to have a boss like that.

Repped

TexansFanatic
11-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Maybe I'm still drunk on the koolaid (1 part koolaid 3 parts rum).

Nice. Everclear works, too. Just don't use cyanide.

:koolaid:

steelbtexan
11-06-2011, 10:32 PM
:yawn: it wasnt exactly clairvoyance.. just common sense- which isnt always prevalent around here

what has peyton going down got to do with us being a good team? we've beaten and nearly beaten the colts many times when we were flawed. even before mannings injury, what had the colts done to improve last yrs fading team?

and yes i wagered quite heavily (for me anyway) that they would win the division. shouldve asked me earlier ;)

I always miss out on the grease. LOL

TexansFanatic
11-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Repped

Thank you, my friend. :-))

thunderkyss
11-06-2011, 10:35 PM

Very good points, all true.

But I always put things in perspective according to what I would do. If I were an offensive guru & I wanted to win football games, I would have put a lot more early draft picks on offense.

Like I'd been saying all year last year, a great offense can, at times, be your best defense. We've seen elite offenses win with historically poor defenses. The last two years, our defense has been good enough that if we had an offense that could chew up clock & score at a high efficiency rate, our defense could sell out & get more three & outs like they did in 2009 & at times throughout 2010..... that's the way the Colts are built. That's what I would have done.

This way works too... dump all your draft picks on defense then finally get a defensive coach & bam....... no offseason, screwed up free agency & your defense comes out of nowhere & you take a complete team into the play-offs...

But I doubt that's the way he drew it up.

CretorFrigg
11-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Are we winning in spite of Kubiak or because of Kubiak?

Big Lou
11-06-2011, 10:38 PM
I lost faith is Kubes last year after years of support, but I got on the bandwagon in the preseason. We haven't won any Superbowls just yet, but man Team WARY is looking good right now. If Gary can keep the running game going and get the 80 Beast back, this could be a fun January!!!!!

Playoffs
11-06-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm glad Bob McNair is our owner,

And I'm glad he didn't fire Gary.

TexansFanatic
11-06-2011, 10:40 PM
i still think kubiak has what it takes to be the top guy

Solid post.

Marcus
11-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Are we winning in spite of Kubiak or because of Kubiak?

Are you taking a poll of something?

ThaShark316
11-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Bob McNair called the team out after the BAL game...

Texans haven't lost since.

GP
11-06-2011, 11:16 PM

THIS ^^^^.

My signature image comes down when he's either fired OR he leads us to at least a single playoff game.

And everyone can forget about asking me if it can be taken down if he wins our division this year: The AFC South title is being gift-wrapped on multiple levels for him. It's a given.

Therefore, can he win a playoff game? If not, I'm game for keeping the offense as it is (retaining Dennison) and having Bob only consider HC candidates (Bill Cowher) who know you don't mess with what's not broken. Bill Cowher is smart enough to know that we're just a solid defense and a solid HC away from a dynasty here...and we already have the solid defense IMO. Add some Cowher 34 Defense wrinkles to it, and whammo!

DexmanC
11-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Jim Harbaugh's in his first year as head coach, and he's pulling a 7-1
right now with less talent than Kubiak has had. Alex frickin Smith
is his quarterback. I don't wanna hear about how Kubiak is "vindicated"
because of his 2011 start. Hell naw.

My mind will change about Kubiak when he delivers a 2011 AFC Championship
Game appearance. Wade Phillips is allowing Kubiak's mistakes not be able
to to f-up the team's won/loss.

It is what it is.

thunderkyss
11-06-2011, 11:21 PM
THIS ^^^^.

My signature image comes down when he's either fired OR he leads us to at least a single playoff game.

And everyone can forget about asking me if it can be taken down if he wins our division this year: The AFC South title is being gift-wrapped on multiple levels for him. It's a given.

Do you see how these two statements contradict each other?

If he leads us to a play off game...... you'll take down your sig (as if anyone cares).

You won't take it down if we win the division....

aren't they the same thing?

:kitten:

DexmanC
11-06-2011, 11:24 PM

If he leads us to a play off game...... you'll take down your sig (as if anyone cares).

Winning the division in 2011 does not have the same ring as having
won it in 2010. For obvious reasons Mr. Devil's Advocate.

thunderkyss
11-06-2011, 11:28 PM

I know that W-L are all that matters.

But, do you think the 49ers would be 7-1 if they played our schedule?
Saints, Steelers, Ravens ?

The only team they've played even remotely in that "class" is Detroit & that is starting to look suspect.

Another thing, would you be giving Kubiak credit for going 7-1 against the:
Seahawks - W
Cowboys - L
Bengals - W
Philly - W
Tampa - W
Detroit - W
Cleveland - W
Washington - W

None of those teams are going anywhere.

Maddict5
11-06-2011, 11:32 PM

whoosh

thunderkyss
11-06-2011, 11:38 PM

And once again your post reveals the extent of your reading comprehension skills.

whoosh

So you noticed it too?

bo orlando
11-06-2011, 11:48 PM

But...

Ugh, not this BS again. How long ago was it that everybody was yelling at Kubiak for running the ball TOO MUCH in the red zone ("blah blah blah, our offense isn't built to run in short yardage")? once again, i refer all to the intergalactic football glossary for clarification of your point: "a bad play is a play that didn't work. a good play is one that worked."

DexmanC
11-06-2011, 11:51 PM
I know that W-L are all that matters.

But, do you think the 49ers would be 7-1 if they played our schedule?
Saints, Steelers, Ravens ?

The only team they've played even remotely in that "class" is Detroit & that is starting to look suspect.

Another thing, would you be giving Kubiak credit for going 7-1 against the:
Seahawks - W
Cowboys - L
Bengals - W
Philly - W
Tampa - W
Detroit - W
Cleveland - W
Washington - W

None of those teams are going anywhere.
The Texans had a similar schedule in 2009, and stumbled,
fumbled, and snickers-added their way to 9-7. They
started 5-7 that year. Remember?

I already know what Kubiak would do if Wade weren't here.
As I said before, it is what it is. Let's just enjoy the ride
without providing unnecessary extras to Kubiak.

Lucky
11-07-2011, 12:03 AM
I disagree. It's not time to revisit McNair's decision. Nothing's been decided, one way or the other. It is time to enjoy the Texans 1.5 game lead in the AFC South.

GP
11-07-2011, 12:06 AM

You conveniently left out the next section of my post where I asked "Can he win a playoff game?"

And you're lecturing Dexman about HIS reading comprehension?

Everyone knows the rub: The AFC South SHOULD BE ours for the taking. It's that first-ever Houston Texans playoff game where shit gets real that's the clincher for me on whether Kubiak is for real or not.

And I'm not moving goal posts here. I think Kubiak has it in him to find a way to seriously screw up the AFC South crown, somehow managing to let the Titans sneak away with it...meanwhile, the AFC North has three legitimate teams who could end up with two wild card berths! I have seen stranger stuff happen, such as 35-3 halftime vs. Bills. Nobody needs to be penciling in the Texans for playoffs just yet.

Kubiak will have his hands full finishing off the AFC South crown. Then the playoff game will carry so much pressure with it, it won't even be funny. he pulls off a playoff win, my sig image comes down. Until then, he is what he is.

thunderkyss
11-07-2011, 12:07 AM
The Texans had a similar schedule in 2009, and stumbled,
fumbled, and snickers-added their way to 9-7. They
started 5-7 that year. Remember?

I already know what Kubiak would do if Wade weren't here.
As I said before, it is what it is. Let's just enjoy the ride
without providing unnecessary extras to Kubiak.

The 2009 schedule was nothing like that.

L - NYJets 9-7 (AFC Championship game)
W - Titans 8-8
L - Jags 7-9
W - Oak 5-11
L - Cards 10-6 (NFC Champs)
W - Bengals 10-6 (AFC North Champs)
W - 49ers 8-8
W - Bills 6-10

We started 5-3, beating the Bengals on the road, losing to two very good teams, the Jets (AFC Championship game) & the Cardinals (Super Bowl)

GK doesn't write the schedule & the schedule this early in the season doesn't mean crap..... The 49ers & Harbaugh will play the Ravens, Steelers, & Giants this year, I guarantee you they won't beat one of them.

Matter of fact, I will bet, whatever you want, they'll get blown out in both games they play the @Ravens & have the Steelers at home if that helps you out any.

We're 5-3, losing to the Saints, the Ravens, & the Raiders. It's nothing about Harbaugh that put the Steelers, Ravens, & Giants on the back end of their schedule.

& as far as that loss to the Jags, I bet the 49ers will lose a game to the Cardinals & the Rams.

GP
11-07-2011, 12:15 AM
I disagree. It's not time to revisit McNair's decision. Nothing's been decided, one way or the other. It is time to enjoy the Texans 1.5 game lead in the AFC South.

I was a little giddy that the Bengals helped us out today.

Then, as I continued watching Dalton rifle passes to various unknown WRs, and take 3rd and long situations (caused by numerous Jeff Triplett bogus penalty calls on 2nd down) and basically say a big "Eff you!" to the Titans fans AND to the refs, as well, I began getting this image of the AFC North having a divisional champ, and two teams earning BOTH Wild Card spots.

Then I coupled that image with the image of Gary Freaking Kubiak somehow running the Good Ship Lollipop into the AFC South reef, thus allowing the Titans to get the last laugh by winning the AFC South by like one game or some crazy shit like that.

It's best to just go ahead and imagine the most bizarre circumstances NOW, ahead of time, to prepare the system against a shock that you didn't think would ever occur. Visualize HOW your team can screw you over, and it hurts less when it actually happens.

Only two or three teams have a longer playoff drought than the Texans, and it's only by a margin of like 2 years too. Two teams (Lions are one) haven't had a playoff game since 1999. Our team's been in business since 2001. 10 years for the Texans without a playoff game. So Gary Kubiak MUST produce a playoff appearance, and he MUST win that game.

That's something to truly build upon IF we ended up keepig Kubiak, which we know Bob will anyways. So, this is all just one "Big Effin Deal" threads we're in right now. LOL.

80tothezone
11-07-2011, 02:30 AM
i dunno.... i was pretty vocal in calling for kubes head. I also came around to idea of letting him run the O and let WP run the D. I think that both coaches have their flaws but together they make a damn good coach. I think we should see how it plays out and see where we are week 17 and how we got there. As it is i don't really have a problem, or as near as big of a problem, with kubes play calling . i think he is getting better as a head coach . We just need to see how the season plays out and move on from there.

Maddict5
11-07-2011, 03:03 AM
You conveniently left out the next section of my post where I asked "Can he win a playoff game?"

And you're lecturing Dexman about HIS reading comprehension?

you might want to check your post there again mr comprehension ;)

ObsiWan
11-07-2011, 04:15 AM

My mind will change about Kubiak when he delivers a 2011 AFC Championship
Game appearance. Wade Phillips is allowing Kubiak's mistakes not be able
to to f-up the team's won/loss.

It is what it is.

I have to disagree with this part. Alex Smith is the only weak link in a pretty solid offense. Frank Gore has been a stud RB for years; I think he's averaging 1,000+ per year over his 7-yr career. Vernon Davis is one of the better TEs in the league and has been since he was drafted in '06. And for comparison purposes, O.D. has 20 career TDs, Davis has 32. They drafted a genuine deep threat in Michael Crabtree in 09. Their O-line is solid with Joe Staley, Mike Iupati and Anthony Davis - all first round picks. Recently they picked up Braylon Edwards and Tedd Ginn, Jr.

So they aren't winning games with smoke and mirrors. They have a pretty damned solid offense. All Alex Smith has to do is hand the ball to Frank Gore, throw a couple of passes to Vernon Davis, and not screw things up otherwise. And to his credit, he hasn't - only 2 INTs in 8 games. I wish Schaub only had two picks.

I see the Niners in a similar situation to the Texans, they're at the head of the class in a sucky division. In fact, they're in much better shape than us; I mean, who in the NFC West is a threat?? I mean, geez, they're the only team in that division that has more than 2 wins!

All that to say, the "less talent than Kubiak had" statement is undefendable. This is the best team that the Texans have ever had, and even with that, position for position, the Niners have just as much talent up and down the starting lineups.

You may now resume your regularly scheduled Kubiak bashing.
Thank you.

mussop
11-07-2011, 06:25 AM

Has a coach on the hot seat ever been gift wrapped an easier path off it?

Kaiser Toro
11-07-2011, 06:51 AM
I'll revisit at the end of year, until then I am enjoying the Son of Bum's impact on the team.

thunderkyss
11-07-2011, 07:41 AM
I hope Gary does well because they don't need Wade as HC.

Like others have said, I hope Wade sticks around regardless who the HC is, like Dick Lebeaux (sp) Jim Johnson (RiP) Monte Kiffen, etc..

eriadoc
11-07-2011, 07:53 AM
Is he even a .500 coach yet? 2009 is the latest his team should have been doing what it's doing now. Think about it - this team is sitting at the LOFTY RECORD of .... 6-3. I'm happy about that because of the history, but it's pretty meh, especially when you consider who they've beaten.

Kubiak built the team. He hired and fired everyone involved to get to this point. If you think it's the players on the field, well, they were chosen by Kubiak. If you think it's been the assistant coaches, well, they were chosen by Kubiak. If you think it's been tactical errors, those were all Kubiak.

2009 was the make or break year. At the risk of putting the cart ahead of the horse, I'd like to see him win something that matters. Of course, I'd like to see him even get to .500 first, I suppose.

Playoffs
11-07-2011, 08:03 AM

Ancient Chinese proverb:

No matter how hard you try, you can't get a better past.

Yankee_In_TX
11-07-2011, 08:13 AM
i don't want to go here right now. I'm in a good mood and enjoying the win.

But...

Gary is still gary.

qft

Thorn
11-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Folks, the Texans are doing great this year because of Wade Phillips, an easy schedule, and the rest of our division sucking. The only think Kubiak is responsible for in those three reasons is our easy schedule because of the Texans record last year.

I still don't like him as a head coach, his short comings are being hidden by other factors that are making both him and the Texans look good this year. But, that being the case, I'll take it. Whatever it takes to get the Texans in the playoffs and winning games is good. But it doesn't mean I'm going to just drop my feelings about Kubiak and start dishing out love for him as our head coach.

It's possible to cheer for the Texans and want them to win a Super Bowl but still dislike certain aspects of the team. You guys know that's true because of our history with the Oilers and Bud Adams. I love the Texans, but not Kubiak, and that probably isn't going to change anytime soon.

GO TEXANS!!!!! :fans:

thunderkyss
11-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Folks, the Texans are doing great this year because of Wade Phillips, an easy schedule, and the rest of our division sucking. The only think Kubiak is responsible for in those three reasons is our easy schedule because of the Texans record last year.

The only thing our record from last year got us is the Dolphins & Raiders instead of KC & the Patriots.

You no longer get an easy schedule based on where you finished the previous season.

You play 6 division games.

You play 4 games versus another AFC division (this year we play the AFC North)

You play 4 games against an NFC Division (this year we play the NFC South)

That's 14 games, leaving 2 to be decided by your divisional standings (We play the third place teams from the AFC East & West; Miami & Oakland).

so your previous record only counts for 2 out of 16 games.... 12.5% not really a factor.

Thorn
11-07-2011, 09:08 AM
.............so your previous record only counts for 2 out of 16 games.... 12.5% not really a factor.

Sounds like you are right thunderkyss. But it won't alter my opinion of Kubiak.

Don't worry though, I'll be cheering for him and the Texans every week to win. :)

Mr teX
11-07-2011, 09:11 AM
I don't think its so much that people are "glad", but moreso that Bob stepped in & forced gary into hiring someone that he wanted.

thunderkyss
11-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Sounds like you are right thunderkyss. But it won't alter my opinion of Kubiak.

Don't worry though, I'll be cheering for him and the Texans every week to win. :)

My point, is that Gary is even less responsible for anything this season.... going by your way of thinking that is.

Ole Miss Texan
11-07-2011, 09:29 AM
I'm thrilled with the Kubiak - Phillips combo and I think our team is on the verge of greatness. There I said it.

:fans:

HOU-TEX
11-07-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm not glad he wasn't fired. I wanted him fired, but kinda knew he wouldn't be due to the lockout.

euro-Texan
11-07-2011, 09:36 AM
I'm thrilled with the Kubiak - Phillips combo and I think our team is on the verge of greatness. There I said it.

:fans:

Well said! I'm sure some out there would almost smile at a loss if it meant Kubiak would get canned, but I like what he is doing. We have a couple of hometown coaches getting it done. If we do go deep into the playoffs I'm sure all will be forgiven by most. There are some who will never be happy. Last season people were all worked up that Seatle was in the playoffs with a new coach, but it was just a mirage, they still suck. We have players out performing their talent because of good coaching and time in the system. Keep Kubiak!

drunkcookie
11-07-2011, 09:53 AM
I don't think after 9 games and a 6-3 record that it's the time to revisit this... and maybe not even after just one year... But i will entertain it...

Personally i thought last year should have been it for Gara... But i wasn't shocked he was brought back and to be honest, i wasn't that upset with the choice because i didn't see any obvious replacements and i do believe he's a good coach with great potential...

But, even with success this year, unless it's a SB win/trip, it's going to take another year or two to see if it was a good decision or not, because the goal isn't to be a playoff team just once...

As for Wade being Bob's pick for DC, i still don't know if that is true or just a blind lack of faith in Gary's decision making... As i've pointed out before, Gary and Wade have crossed paths a couple of times in the NFL, and Bum has always publically praised Gary so maybe there's a good relationship with the family there.. Unless someone shows me the proof and i'm 100% sure that Bob made that decision, i won't blindly rule out Gary's role in it... For all we know Gary may have wanted Wade a long time, but Wade chose a HC gig...

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using Tapakeg

houstonspartan
11-07-2011, 10:01 AM

I still don't like him as a head coach, his short comings are being hidden by other factors that are making both him and the Texans look good this year. But, that being the case, I'll take it. Whatever it takes to get the Texans in the playoffs and winning games is good. But it doesn't mean I'm going to just drop my feelings about Kubiak and start dishing out love for him as our head coach.

It's possible to cheer for the Texans and want them to win a Super Bowl but still dislike certain aspects of the team. You guys know that's true because of our history with the Oilers and Bud Adams. I love the Texans, but not Kubiak, and that probably isn't going to change anytime soon.

Amen. Agree 100 percent. That's why I said "it's not that simple."

It is possible to love the team and hate certain parts of it, like the coaching, for example. Gary is not the epitome of the Houston Texans.

thunderkyss
11-07-2011, 10:07 AM
As for Wade being Bob's pick for DC, i still don't know if that is true or just a blind lack of faith in Gary's decision making... As i've pointed out before, Gary and Wade have crossed paths a couple of times in the NFL, and Bum has always publically praised Gary so maybe there's a good relationship with the family there.. Unless someone shows me the proof and i'm 100% sure that Bob made that decision, i won't blindly rule out Gary's role in it... For all we know Gary may have wanted Wade a long time, but Wade chose a HC gig...

Gary simply doesn't have that kind of stroke. Gary shouldn't have been anywhere near the table where Wade Phillips was being discussed.

Do you think Bob said, "Gary, I'm going to have to let you go" & Gary said, "Wait, I can bring in Wade!"

No way. The way Bob & Bum had been rubbing elbows all season... I don't think that's the way it went. I think Bob & Bum were smoking cigars & Bob said....

"I don't know what to do, I like Gary, but I can't keep him around after this."

Bum.. "I know what you mean.... if only my son were the head coach of this team."

Bob: "Hey, that's not a bad idea, didn't he get run out of Dallas?"
Bum: "Yeah... that AH wouldn't know a HC if he won him back-to-back Super Bowls."
Bob: "His reputation has taken a pretty big hit though... "
Bum: "Don't worry about that crap, meet him, make up your own mind."
Bob: "I couldn't do that, if the media found out, that would only make it more difficult to keep this team together."
Bum: "Well, I could find out for ya, let me call him up."

Bum makes phone call.

Bum: "Well, I'm sorry, Wade says he isn't interested in being a HC ever again. But he'll take the DC job if you find a decent HC."
Bob: "Do you think Gary is a decent HC?"
Bum: "Hell no.... "
Bob: "Well, let me call Cowher... tell him to get started putting together a staff."
Bum: "Whoa... I mean yeah he's not just a decent HC.. heck he's a fine HC, other teams would kill to have a HC like Gary."
Bob: "Oh, so you think that would be the right thing to do?"
Bum: "Cross my heart."

:texan:

drunkcookie
11-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Lol, thunderkyss.

You could be right, man, but we don't "know", so i won't ignore it could have been Gary...

drunkcookie
11-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Lol, thunderkyss.

You could be right, man, but we don't "know", so i won't ignore it could have been Gary...

Tapped "submit" before i was finished, i wanted to go a little further...

Wade was hired three days after the last game of the 2010 season (Jan 5th)... Wade ws sent packing by Dallas during the 2010 season... What are the odds that Wade boxed up his belongings in Dallas and immediately sent them to a vault below Reliant? I think the decision could have been made as soon as Wade was bumped in D...

Maybe it'll take this team winning a super bowl to find out exactly what happened in some NFL Films special on the Texans...

TexansBlood
11-07-2011, 11:01 AM
2 Field goals on the second half of yesterdays game, only Gary Kubiak would be pleased with that.

BigBull17
11-07-2011, 11:07 AM
I will say that Kubiak's play design is second to none. He sets up plays 1-2 games in advance. He lost his best player on his team and has still found a way to get upper level production out of whats left.

Double Barrel
11-07-2011, 11:16 AM

Yep. Baby steps with this team. First time in a decade that this franchise has been 3 games over .500.

6-3 is just a stop on the journey. The Texans have arrived nowhere and earned nothing at this point. 6-3 can end up 13-3, but we all know it can also end up 6-10.

I think it will be somewhere in between, most likely with an AFC South title and another first for this franchise, the playoffs.

However, I'm not going to crown Gary until he earns it. :king:

I'll revisit at the end of year, until then I am enjoying the Son of Bum's impact on the team.

I agree. This is the kind of defense that makes me love watching football. Finally, after so many years of seeing them flounder, we have a D that other teams not only respect, but most likely fear.

All Hail Wade.

Great post, man. Re: the bolded - I always figure it's like being a citizen. You can love your country but disagree with your government.

The Pencil Neck
11-07-2011, 11:31 AM
2 Field goals on the second half of yesterdays game, only Gary Kubiak would be pleased with that.

LOL. I'm pretty freaking pleased with it, too.

Up by 21 points at halftime, we got the ball 3 times in the second half. We went on a 7+ minute drive and got a FG. Then we went on a 6:33 minute drive and got another FG. Then we got the ball with 4:47 minutes left in the game and we went on a 10 play 4:47 drive to end it.

THAT is how you win football games. You jump out to an early lead and then you grind out the clock with the run game. That is called choking the life out of your opponent and I will take it (and the 30-12 score) every game.

gafftop
11-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Alot of things could happen before this season ends but it sure looks like the Texans could make the playoffs. I still don't think Kubiak is a great head coach. He is probably a good offensive mind though. Let's say the Texans make the playoffs but don't make the SB. I don't think it is feasible to fire Kubiak but I would SERIOUSLY look at getting a real GM. I think with Smith you have a Kubiak disciple. I think you need another view point in the FO other than the Denver viewpoint. Also this move allows you to be ready in case you do need a HC in the future.

Runner
11-07-2011, 11:35 AM

Up by 21 points at halftime, we got the ball 3 times in the second half. We went on a 7+ minute drive and got a FG. Then we went on a 6:33 minute drive and got another FG. Then we got the ball with 4:47 minutes left in the game and we went on a 10 play 4:47 drive to end it.

THAT is how you win football games. You jump out to an early lead and then you grind out the clock with the run game. That is called choking the life out of your opponent and I will take it (and the 30-12 score) every game.

I hope Kubiak gives the two field goals "barely passing" marks.

I suspect it would have taken two touchdowns on those drives to make him "pretty freaking pleased".

DX-TEX
11-07-2011, 11:37 AM

THATN is how you beat the likes of Brady, Rothlesberger, RIvers, etc.... in the playoffs. You do NOT want to be in a shootout with the Patriots or Steelers.

houstonspartan
11-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Alot of things could happen before this season ends but it sure looks like the Texans could make the playoffs. I still don't think Kubiak is a great head coach. He is probably a good offensive mind though. Let's say the Texans make the playoffs but don't make the SB. I don't think it is feasible to fire Kubiak but I would SERIOUSLY look at getting a real GM. I think with Smith you have a Kubiak disciple. I think you need another view point in the FO other than the Denver viewpoint. Also this move allows you to be ready in case you do need a HC in the future.

Problem with firing Rick Smith is, look at how he handled free agency. The guy was a sheer and utter genius. He had a plan, and executed it within days. He juggled Aso's people, then pulled the plug on that, then immediately signed Jonathan Joseph. Logistically, that's not easy to pull off. But he did.

Even if Wade told him, "Ok, go get player X", Rick has to make it happen. That's not easy when you're going after top guys in a free agency period that lasted about a week.

76Texan
11-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Well said! I'm sure some out there would almost smile at a loss if it meant Kubiak would get canned, but I like what he is doing. We have a couple of hometown coaches getting it done. If we do go deep into the playoffs I'm sure all will be forgiven by most. There are some who will never be happy. Last season people were all worked up that Seatle was in the playoffs with a new coach, but it was just a mirage, they still suck. We have players out performing their talent because of good coaching and time in the system. Keep Kubiak!

I agree with your post!

Personally, I've been saying that Kubiak isn't the best HC out there, but unless you know for sure you can get a proven one like Bill Cowher, you keep Kubiak and his offensive system.

I still wonder why a combo of Dom Capers and Gary Kubiak was never in the card back then!?!

76Texan
11-07-2011, 11:43 AM
THATN is how you beat the likes of Brady, Rothlesberger, RIvers, etc.... in the playoffs. You do NOT want to be in a shootout with the Patriots or Steelers.

Exactly!

Ole Miss Texan
11-07-2011, 11:44 AM

Great post.

I give Wade SO much credit for the way the defense is playing and the success of our season through 9 games. However, football is the ultimate team sport. One reason they're playing so well is the Offense is giving them a ton of time to rest. Our T.O.P. per game is 33+ minutes, we're 12 seconds from being 1st in the league (we're #2). We're an incredibly good rushing team and our OL is playing well. We're having long drives, we're milking to clock, our defense is getting rest and they're putting a lot of pressure on the opposing QBs.

We're scoring on offense and having extended drives. On defense, we're applying pressure, stopping opposing offenses and creating turnovers.

This is a very good TEAM this year.

76Texan
11-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Problem with firing Rick Smith is, look at how he handled free agency. The guy was a sheer and utter genius. He had a plan, and executed it within days. He juggled Aso's people, then pulled the plug on that, then immediately signed Jonathan Joseph. Logistically, that's not easy to pull off. But he did.

Even if Wade told him, "Ok, go get player X", Rick has to make it happen. That's not easy when you're going after top guys in a free agency period that lasted about a week.

I think Rick Smith has done an acceptable job!
It looks to me like McNair finally accepts the fact that "you have to pay to play".

The Pencil Neck
11-07-2011, 11:45 AM
I hope Kubiak gives the two field goals "barely passing" marks.

I suspect it would have taken two touchdowns on those drives to make him "pretty freaking pleased".

The point is that it limited the Browns to 3 possessions. The most they could have scored was 21 points. 21+6 > 21.

Touchdowns would have been better. Longer drives would have been even better. But by limiting the opponent to 3 possessions, it made it impossible for the opponent to win.

houstonspartan
11-07-2011, 11:47 AM
I agree with your post!

Personally, I've been saying that Kubiak isn't the best HC out there, but unless you know for sure you can get a proven one like Bill Cowher, you keep Kubiak and his offensive system.I still wonder why a combo of Dom Capers and Gary Kubiak was never in the card back then!?!

Um...

1) Nothing is guaranteed. Not even Bill Cowher returning and being an outstanding coach (though I think he'd be better than Kubiak).

2) That's loser talk. I reject the notion that there's no other better coach out there. Using your logic, you are essentially saying that Gary Kubiak is the best coach in the NFL. That's not true.

3) There are clear, specific metrics in sports. Five seasons without one playoff appearance clearly qualifies as a failure.

4) It's about collecting talent. Why do you think there's the old draft day adage of "Draft for best player on the board, not for what you need"? It's because you can collect talent here and there and worry about putting the talent together later. This is an EXTREMELY talented football team, and has been for the last couple of seasons. A new coach would have come into the building to find - TALENT.

BigBull17
11-07-2011, 11:47 AM
The one factor that you cannot take for granted is that the Texans never quit on Kubiak. No matter how bad things have been, they give him 100%. I remember Dom losing people, I see other coaches losing people, and Gary never has.

Also, if we have continued sucess, don't be shocked if you see more teams do the Offensive head coach and dDefensive head coach typpe thing we're doing.

Second Honeymoon
11-07-2011, 11:48 AM
at this point in time it looks good keeping Gary around, but I give more credit to Wade's hiring which Gary was forced to do practically at gunpoint.

I just want to know why it took 6 years for us to hire a competent defensive coordinator. This is a good year so far (peyton or no peyton) but that doesnt excuse the previous 5 years of fail.

His propensity to hire cronies/friends and his paranoia about bringing 'outsiders' in has retarded the growth of our franchise and wasted 2 good years of offensive football. I am happy with the season but this almost makes me more angry to see how good our defense has been. We have had the talent all along...just a bunch of retards at DC that got the job because they were Gary's friends and/or they were cheap. That is the only way these guys would have been considered.

But all that crap is in the past but I am just pissed we wasted all those years trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. Plus I am sure AJ isn't really happy that it took 6 years to install a defense worth a shit.

Keep up the good work, Texans. Even you, Gary. No meteoric falls at the end of the year and we could be 10-6 or better. That sounds pretty good right about now.

houstonspartan
11-07-2011, 11:49 AM
The one factor that you cannot take for granted is that the Texans never quit on Kubiak. No matter how bad things have been, they give him 100%. I remember Dom losing people, I see other coaches losing people, and Gary never has.

That is very true, and I will give Gary that. His players love him to death. There's something to be said for that.

TheMatrix31
11-07-2011, 11:52 AM
If we keep winning and playing the way we are, we could have the ghost of ****ing Osama Bin Laden himself coaching this team and I wouldn't give a shit.

76Texan
11-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Um...

1) Nothing is guaranteed. Not even Bill Cowher returning and being an outstanding coach (though I think he'd be better than Kubiak).

2) That's loser talk. I reject the notion that there's no other better coach out there. Using your logic, you are essentially saying that Gary Kubiak is the best coach in the NFL. That's not true.

3) There are clear, specific metrics in sports. Five seasons without one playoff appearance clearly qualifies as a failure.

4) It's about collecting talent. Why do you think there's the old draft day adage of "Draft for best player on the board, not for what you need"? It's because you can collect talent here and there and worry about putting the talent together later. This is an EXTREMELY talented football team, and has been for the last couple of seasons. A new coach would have come into the building to find - TALENT.

2. I didn't say that Cowher was the only one!

3 & 4. I kinda give Kubiak "half" of a pass because some of the players were playing "way under par" last year.

And like Hou-Tex had mentioned, I don't think "too much change" with the lock-out is a good thing.

I'm all for letting Kubiak go if he doesn't get it done this year though (this has always been my stand).

thunderkyss
11-07-2011, 01:25 PM

My thing this off-season.... I said Rick Smith should be on the hot seat. If he doesn't bring in a top named FA..... Nnamdi or Joseph, he should be gone.

He did it.

So, while I say I couldn't imagine the Texans going forward with both Kubiak & Smith... I did give him that one out.

I can see where McNair kept Kubiak. He had a defensive coach, that consistently had this team ranked as one of the lowest defensive & offensive teams in the league.... then he got an offensive coach that had the offense "ranked" as one of the best offenses in the league, but still ranked as one of the worst defensive teams.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out you're not going to win much (consistently) that way.

So he goes out and get a defensive guy to put with an offensive guy & BAM..... should work out pretty well, if the two can work together.

The problem though.... we're seeing the limitations of our offensive talent when we play the better defenses in the league. Granted, that's without Andre. But Matt Schaub is a pro bowler, Owen Daniels is a pro Bowler & Kevin Walter is making some pretty good change.

Myers..... we got him for a 6th round pick
Brisiel.... undrafted
Arian..... undrafted...... but talented none the less
Wade... journeyman

That's our run game right there, add Tate as a second round pick. PUt a second rounder in there.... at LG or RG or RT (kick Winston inside) & we'll be able to run on those defenses like nobody's business.

infantrycak
11-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Myers..... we got him for a 6th round pick
Brisiel.... undrafted
Arian..... undrafted...... but talented none the less
Wade... journeyman

That's our run game right there, add Tate as a second round pick. .

How do you not count 3rd rounder Winston and 1st rounder Brown in the run game?

Not to mention much of our run game's success has come off having probably the best group of run blocking WR's in the league. And I'll give credit to JJ here, he has really upped his game in the run blocking department. We knew AJ and Walter were great but JJ has stepped up.

BigBull17
11-07-2011, 01:53 PM

Not to mention much of our run game's success has come off having probably the best group of run blocking WR's in the league. And I'll give credit to JJ here, he has really upped his game in the run blocking department. We knew AJ and Walter were great but JJ has stepped up.

he had a great block on Tate's TD run yesterday. It's not easy to get a group of WRs to buy in and get down and dirty.

Ole Miss Texan
11-07-2011, 01:53 PM
QB: Schaub (traded two 2nd round picks for him)
RB: Foster/Tate (undrafted free agent and 2nd round pick, respectively)
WR: Johnson, Walter, Jones (#3 overall pick, traded a 6th rd pick for him, 3rd round pick respectively)
TE: Daniels, Dreesen (4th rd pick, free agent)
FB: Casey, Vickers (5th rd pick, free agent)
OT: Brown, Winston (late 1st after trading down, 3rd rd pick)
C: Myers (traded 6th rd pick for him)
OG: Smith, Brisiel (both free agents)

DE: Smith, Watt (higher free agent signing, #11 overall pick)
NT: Cody, Mitchell (free agent, 3rd rd pick)
OLB: Williams, Barwin, Reed (#1 overall pick, 2nd rd pick, 2nd rd pick)
CB: Joseph, Jackson, Allen (higher free agent signing, #20 overall pick, free agent signing)
FS: Manning, Nolan (higher free agent signing, 7th rd pick)
SS: Quin, Demps (4th rd pick for nickle cb/s, free agent)

Don't wanna hijack the thread but just got to thinking how we got all our big contributors.

DexmanC
11-07-2011, 05:44 PM

It's symphony in motion watching the OL, TE's, and WR's cutblock other teams.
Players are dropping like bowling pins when Tate and Foster are running the
ball.

Wolf
11-07-2011, 06:10 PM
too early to tell, we have won nothing yet.

HOWEVER.. Wade Phillips has done a HELL of a job as DC
Lost Mario, Lost Manning, lost sharpton.

and the defense is still going. I know the competition is what it is..but I was wondering how bad this defense would collapse with those injuries if Wade wasn't running the show. (based on what DC we had a legitimate shot at signing at the time)

Gary.. his offense has just been clicking and going.. not sure if anyone would think we would be 6-3 if you said AJ,Foster,Tate,Ward,Casey has missed games .

TATE HAS BEEN HUGE for this offense

but it is what it is and this team can only play who is scheduled,so they just need to keep taking care of business.

but with all that said.. WAY too early to tell, lets get to be 1-0 this week heading into the Bye week.

D1DAVE
11-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Not me. I am enjoying this season so far. But he could leave next season and it would not hurt my feelings. Wade and him do seem to be complimenting each other so far, but our defense has really shined, and our running game is our success on offense.

Hervoyel
11-07-2011, 06:58 PM

No, no, no. Didn't you hear? We had the game well in hand by then. It was time to start practicing things we aren't very good at during a live game situation.

:thisbig:

Wolf
11-07-2011, 07:02 PM

agreed with this.. I remember how pissed I was a year or so ago when MJD ran down our throats and closed out the game even when we knew they were going to run him