PDA

View Full Version : Forget winning the division, we should now be playing for a 1st round bye!

Texn4life
11-06-2011, 06:42 PM
There will be two 2 loss teams at the end of the day, and both of them will be in the AFC North. With the schedule we have we can definitely be in the top 2 at the end of the year. It's time that we start setting our expectations a little bit higher. Also, I want to give a big high five to the Bengals!!!!! :fingergun:

Showtime100
11-06-2011, 06:45 PM
There will be two 2 loss teams at the end of the day, and both of them will be in the AFC North. With the schedule we have we can definitely be in the top 2 at the end of the year. It's time that we start setting our expectations a little bit higher. Also, I want to give a big high five to the Bengals!!!!! :fingergun:

I love the positive spirit here. Nice job, IMO.

One game at a time and the chips will fall in a favorable way. Today, with the Houston win, Titans and Pats loss, I'm just happy.

TheMatrix31
11-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Let's take it one at a time.

fiasco west
11-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Win the game....
Get outta there healthy...
Division rivals loses...
Conference teams ahead if you loses...

Pretty good day.

thunderkyss
11-06-2011, 06:49 PM

Really?

I'm working on home field through-out.

:kitten:

Showtime100
11-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Really?

I'm working on home field through-out.

One in the same, my friend. :)

MEGA SWATT
11-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Win the game....
Get outta there healthy...
Division rivals loses...
Conference teams ahead if you loses...

Pretty good day.

AND a sunday night game where we can watch the Ravens try and bring Big Ben down a notch. So tired of hearing that if they were completely healthy, they would have beaten the Texans. Injuries? You gonna talk injuries to the Texans. :lion:

Kimmy
11-06-2011, 06:54 PM
AND a sunday night game where we can watch the Ravens try and bring Big Ben down a notch. So tired of hearing that if they were completely healthy, they would have beaten the Texans. Injuries? You gonna talk injuries to the Texans. :lion:

I want the Titans/Texans flexed to a Sunday night game. Would love to sleep in New Years Day!

Thorn
11-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Don't look now, but we got the 2nd best record in the AFC after this weekend. Scary, huh?

Texn4life
11-06-2011, 07:01 PM
I must be crazy for not wanting to put the cart before the horse.

You're an admitted non-Texans fan so why would you? No one is giving the Texans the division yet, but if a first round bye is dangling out in front of them then that should be the goal.

CharloTex
11-06-2011, 07:01 PM

Let the horse push the cart for once!!

Top seed!!!

Go Texans!!!!!

Hervoyel
11-06-2011, 07:02 PM

I agree with this and in no way do I want to appear to be doing anything other than taking it one at a time. I just keep asking myself "What's it going to take to get home field advantage throughout the playoffs?

I'm not saying we're gonna run the table. I'm not even suggesting anything of the sort. I'm just thinking that right now we've got just as much chance as anyone else leading their division to do that.

We need to focus on Tampa Bay and winning that game. Then we get our bye week out of the way, rest, and then hopefully get AJ back.

BUT....

Next week if we beat Tampa Bay then we're 7-3. What's going to happen to everyone else?

Looking in our division the Titans go to Carolina. I think there's a chance they come out of there with a loss. The Jaguars will keep pace by beating the Colts or the Colts will win a pointless victory over them. Either way Jacksonville & Indianapolis don't matter.

The other 3 loss teams are doing the following:

Buffalo goes to Dallas. I could see a loss to Dallas there. It's possible.

Pittsburgh goes to Cincinnati so that takes a 2 win team down either way (assuming Pittsburgh handles Baltimore tonight).

Baltimore goes to Seattle and should win. If they lose tonight they stay at 3 losses. Who knows though? Maybe they go on the road and suck some more like they've been doing.

New England visits the Jets so again there's another 3 loss team getting a fourth loss.

If we take care of our business we have just as much chance of getting home field advantage throughout the playoffs as anyone. AFC Championship game at Reliant anyone?

ObsiWan
11-06-2011, 07:04 PM

No, you're not.
The theme this year is "Try to be 1 - 0 every week"
This week we succeeded.
Let's try to do the same again next week.

The playoffs are two months away. That's the distant future IMO.

I will say this, it is now mathematically impossible for us to go 5-7.
:hides:

thunderkyss
11-06-2011, 07:06 PM

Well, we can wait until we've done it, but where is the fun in that?

There are only three games on our schedule that we might lose. If we take care of business, win the games we're supposed to win, then it comes down to three games.

11-5

12-4

13-3

it's all possible, so why not?

Tampa

Atlanta

Carolina

Why not.

Lurvinator11
11-06-2011, 07:09 PM
I've been watching the texans for a long time. This team is so focused. The team is really begining to come together i feel like. I feel like we will only lose one more game, and I really think we can make a serious run in the playoffs! I'm only 19 years old so I barely remember the oilers, let alone when they were a serious winning team, but can you imagine how awesome that will be for the fans who have been here since the oilers left for the texans to go to a superbowl?!!!!!

I couldnt even watch the game here at my dorm, I would have to go home and watch it there or else I would probably get a ticket for disturbing the peace!!!!! :hurrah:

Sorry, I am optimistic at the moment if you couldnt tell

PapaL
11-06-2011, 07:11 PM
We, the fans, have nothing to do with preparing for next week or any other week. It's our job to discuss possibilities and look ahead. No team has ever lost a game and blamed it on the fans for looking ahead.

Hervoyel
11-06-2011, 07:13 PM

There are only three games on our schedule that we might lose. If we take care of business, win the games we're supposed to win, then it comes down to three games.

11-5

12-4

13-3

Tampa

Atlanta

Carolina

Why not.

I've been negative for so long that I'm dying to be optimistic about this team. I'm not saying "We're going! Count on it!" I'm just saying that I think right now, this season we have just as much right to be optimistic as fans of any other team currently in contention for their division title.

We have a schedule of "not impossible" opponents. We have our hardest games out of the way, or at least the ones that we all universally expected to be the hardest games. Our remaining "tough games" are all scheduled very nicely. Atlanta & Carolina we get here at home. We have a Bengals team on the road.

If we can beat Tampa Bay this week and go to 7-3 things look promising.

fiasco west
11-06-2011, 07:14 PM

11-5

12-4

13-3

Tampa

Atlanta

Carolina

Why not.

Ha, I was thinking three games too but I'd replace the Panthers with the Bengals.

I think they have the defense and passing attack to really threathen us. Not sure about the Panthers defense...and Cam is prone to INTs as well and our guys get INTs.

HJam72
11-06-2011, 07:16 PM
I agree with this and in no way do I want to appear to be doing anything other than taking it one at a time. I just keep asking myself "What's it going to take to get home field advantage throughout the playoffs?

I'm not saying we're gonna run the table. I'm not even suggesting anything of the sort. I'm just thinking that right now we've got just as much chance as anyone else leading their division to do that.

We need to focus on Tampa Bay and winning that game. Then we get our bye week out of the way, rest, and then hopefully get AJ back.

BUT....

Next week if we beat Tampa Bay then we're 7-3. What's going to happen to everyone else?

Looking in our division the Titans go to Carolina. I think there's a chance they come out of there with a loss. The Jaguars will keep pace by beating the Colts or the Colts will win a pointless victory over them. Either way Jacksonville & Indianapolis don't matter.

The other 3 loss teams are doing the following:

Buffalo goes to Dallas. I could see a loss to Dallas there. It's possible.

Pittsburgh goes to Cincinnati so that takes a 2 win team down either way (assuming Pittsburgh handles Baltimore tonight).

Baltimore goes to Seattle and should win. If they lose tonight they stay at 3 losses. Who knows though? Maybe they go on the road and suck some more like they've been doing.

New England visits the Jets so again there's another 3 loss team getting a fourth loss.

If we take care of our business we have just as much chance of getting home field advantage throughout the playoffs as anyone. AFC Championship game at Reliant anyone?

OMG, that sounds good. :fans:

ObsiWan
11-06-2011, 07:17 PM

11-5

12-4

13-3

Tampa

Atlanta

Carolina

Why not.

Because anything can happen in today's modern-day NFL.
Ask the Saints if they expected to lose to the Rams.
Ask the Chiefs if they expected to lose to the winless Dolphins.
Ask Belichick if he thought Eli would out-Brady, Tom Brady.

I count no chickens before they hatch.

Kimmy
11-06-2011, 07:31 PM
OMG, that sounds good. :fans:

I think this may be "super fans" next tattoo. Must not drink Kool Aid (as much as I want too!)

http://www.nashvillescene.com/imager/kitchen-ink/b/big/1481779/b870/tattoo_koolaid-thumb-300x451.jpg

Hervoyel
11-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Oh yes, and you can bet we're not done losing this year. I don't expect us to win out but look at who our "rivals" for the #1 seed have left on their schedules?

In the East:

New England still has to play the Jets, Eagles, and Buffalo. Their "easy wins" remaining are Kansas City, Indy, Washington, Denver, & Miami.

The Jets still have the Patriots, Bills, Eagles, and Giants. They have easy games against Denver, Washington, Kansas City, and Miami.

Buffalo still has to play the Cowboys, Jets, Chargers, and Patriots with games against Denver, Miami, Tennessee, and Miami again rounding out their schedule.

I don't see any of those teams running the table. That division still has a lot of beating each other up to do.

In the North:

Baltimore plays Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, San Francisco, San Diego, and Cincinnati again. Easy games are Seattle, Cleveland (twice), and Indy.

Cincinnati has to play Pittsburgh (twice), Baltimore (twice), and Houston. They should be fine against Arizona, St Louis (that's what the Saints thought too), and Cleveland.

Pittsburgh still gets Baltimore, Cincinnati (twice), and San Francisco. They clean up on KC, Cleveland (twice), and St Louis. We've already beaten them though

The North also has a lot of division games where somebody is going to lose.

The West I don't even think we need to worry about (as far as the top seed goes). A team could win that division with a .500 record this year (and they say we play in the worst division in football?).

We take care of our business and good things will happen. We've never had a defense like this before. It's partly because we're playing bad teams but it's also partly because we're playing with so much intensity. We're giving these bad teams exactly what we're supposed to. Nothing.

Corrosion
11-06-2011, 07:48 PM

The Texans get to visit the Bengals in Cincy soon enough ..... they are a pretty damn solid team. Quite possibly the toughest game remaining on the schedule.

I'd much rather have the Steelers beat the Ravens since the Texans have the head to head tie breaker Vs the Steelers but not against the Ravens.

thunderkyss
11-06-2011, 07:48 PM
We have a schedule of "not impossible" opponents. We have our hardest games out of the way, or at least the ones that we all universally expected to be the hardest games. Our remaining "tough games" are all scheduled very nicely. Atlanta & Carolina we get here at home. We have a Bengals team on the road.

I'm thinking Paper Tiger. I remember playing them a couple of years ago, when they had the 2nd best run defense in the league..... 5 or 6 games into the season. We had one of our best running games that year.

I know it's a different year & all...... their defense is most likely better, but I think our run game is as well. 10 fold.

thunderkyss
11-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Ha, I was thinking three games too but I'd replace the Panthers with the Bengals.

I think they have the defense and passing attack to really threathen us. Not sure about the Panthers defense...and Cam is prone to INTs as well and our guys get INTs.

He's also prone to extending plays & hitting Steve Smith in the endzone.

If our defense was as bad as the Titans' I'd be worried about Cincy... as it is, not so much.

thunderkyss
11-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Because anything can happen in today's modern-day NFL.
Ask the Saints if they expected to lose to the Rams.
Ask the Chiefs if they expected to lose to the winless Dolphins.
Ask Belichick if he thought Eli would out-Brady, Tom Brady.

I count no chickens before they hatch.

Nobody is counting chickens.... it's all speculation. Herv wrote an excellent post. Every game, not just Texans' games, have a little extra meaning now.

It would be a fail... I think, a monumental fail..... if the Texans, or their fans, are satisfied with winning this weak division. Another win by us & another loss by the Titans, then winning the division is done.

You may not be thinking about it, but I guarantee you it's going to be all over Houston Sports Radio if we beat Tampa @Tampa

fiasco west
11-06-2011, 08:00 PM
He's also prone to extending plays & hitting Steve Smith in the endzone.

If our defense was as bad as the Titans' I'd be worried about Cincy... as it is, not so much.

Hopefully we beat both of them. Just that the Bengals have shown the ability to win games and Dalton is the real deal I feel, so is Green. I saw Dunlap go down and he was all over the place...they have a really good team this year.

EllisUnit
11-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Nobody is counting chickens.... it's all speculation. Herv wrote an excellent post. Every game, not just Texans' games, have a little extra meaning now.

It would be a fail... I think, a monumental fail..... if the Texans, or their fans, are satisfied with winning this weak division. Another win by us & another loss by the Titans, then winning the division is done.

You may not be thinking about it, but I guarantee you it's going to be all over Houston Sports Radio if we beat Tampa @Tampa

Agree with this. We need to secure homefield advantage for sure. It will make more of a statment than winning the divison will. I cant wait for the play-offs it will be so awesome to be able to cheer for my team in jan/feb.

thunderkyss
11-06-2011, 08:02 PM
We take care of our business and good things will happen. We've never had a defense like this before. It's partly because we're playing bad teams but it's also partly because we're playing with so much intensity. We're giving these bad teams exactly what we're supposed to. Nothing.

The bolded is very important, I think. Yeah our schedule turned out to be pretty weak, our division turned out to be pretty weak... but it's not like we're shooting it out with any of these weak teams.

We're playing good, solid football on both sides of the ball & getting better every week.

Giant Tiger
11-06-2011, 08:07 PM
I've been negative for so long that I'm dying to be optimistic about this team. I'm not saying "We're going! Count on it!" I'm just saying that I think right now, this season we have just as much right to be optimistic as fans of any other team currently in contention for their division title.

It's the next game against Tampa Bay that worries me the most, probably because I'm not really confident in Kubiak keeping the players focused on the game with the bye coming up. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we need an in your face coach this week. If we win this game, we'll get a bye. I just hope the we don't come out flat.

thunderkyss
11-06-2011, 08:11 PM
It's the next game against Tampa Bay that worries me the most, probably because I'm not really confident in Kubiak keeping the players focused on the game with the bye coming up. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we need an in your face coach this week. If we win this game, we'll get a bye. I just hope the we don't come out flat.

The Bucs won't finish the season with a winning record.

This is a slam dunk for Kubiak.....

EllisUnit
11-06-2011, 08:12 PM

i feel pretty good with the way tate and foster have been running the ball. We can control the clock, Schaub dont need to force the ball. The defense stays rested. Things are looking up. I am not as concerned about focus as i used to be, we have the talent to win every week even if we have an off game.

Corrosion
11-06-2011, 08:23 PM

I think under estimating Tampa Bay is a mistake ..... They are a good team playing in a tough division. Cant overlook the fact that they won 10 games last year.

And its in Tampa ... which is a big factor.

EllisUnit
11-06-2011, 08:25 PM
I think under estimating Tampa Bay is a mistake ..... They are a good team playing in a tough division. Cant overlook the fact that they won 10 games last year.

yeah i agree i think tampa is pretty good and will only get better, but i do however feel confident that tate and foster can carry us to victory. Remember we are doing all this without one of the top WRs in the NFL.

Showtime100
11-06-2011, 08:25 PM

I couldn't agree more. They gave the Saints all they wanted today and as a Texan fan that's all I need to worry.

ObsiWan
11-06-2011, 08:36 PM

For the record, I think we have an excellent chance at having the best record in the AFC because I don't think any AFC team comes out of this season with fewer than four losses. The threats are the Steelers, Ravens, Bengals, Pats, Jets, and Bills. Fortunately there is ample opportunity for them to knock each other off and, by so doing, help us.

But that means we cannot afford more than one more loss the rest of the way. With our remaining schedule strength, that's definitely possible.

I just don't like looking past the upcoming opponent.
:foottap:
But that's just me.

ObsiWan
11-06-2011, 08:40 PM
I couldn't agree more. They gave the Saints all they wanted today and as a Texan fan that's all I need to worry.

yeah, and that was IN the SuperDome.
And mobile QBs have always given us fits.
Don't sell TB cheap.

Hervoyel
11-06-2011, 08:44 PM

One game at a time every week and all that but seriously, the game we should be worried about is the one after the bye. The most dangerous thing for a young team learning to deal with success is a week off to read their press and do interviews about how good they are. The scary game takes place in Jacksonville after the bye. How they deal with that will really tell us how far we've come.

thunderkyss
11-06-2011, 08:47 PM
i feel pretty good with the way tate and foster have been running the ball. We can control the clock, Schaub dont need to force the ball. The defense stays rested. Things are looking up. I am not as concerned about focus as i used to be, we have the talent to win every week even if we have an off game.

I think Kubiak should get a little kudos for finally learning how to mix it up with two running backs. This is the kind of running game he should be calling (or whoever is sending & subbing these two guys).

Keep them both fresh, & don't wait till the game is "over" before you lean on Tate a little bit. Using Tate early & often is like throwing the change up, they are totally different runners, both very affective & deadly.

Defenses won't ever get a break.

thunderkyss
11-06-2011, 08:48 PM

I had no respect for their 10 wins last year.

Texan Asylum
11-06-2011, 09:12 PM
It sure is nice enjoying the times we are in, and the atmosphere here on the boards is just awesome!

We deserve it! :fans:

It's been a long, long row of hoeing hasn't it! :texflag:

BullNation4Life
11-06-2011, 09:24 PM

of course not, why would you, your name says it all...

ARSEnal...

BullNation4Life
11-06-2011, 09:28 PM
The Texans get to visit the Bengals in Cincy soon enough ..... they are a pretty damn solid team. Quite possibly the toughest game remaining on the schedule.

I'd much rather have the Steelers beat the Ravens since the Texans have the head to head tie breaker Vs the Steelers but not against the Ravens.

I'm not buying that Cincy is a major concern. They have played 1 team with a winning record before Tenn today. Their defense hasn't seen an offense like the Texans nor have they played are real good defense except Jax and their offense suxs...

Texans will win that game

BullNation4Life
11-06-2011, 09:33 PM

They are a mediocre team that cannot stop the run. NO had 190+ on the ground against them. They give up 123 yrds per game. They are gonna get a nice warm cup of smash mouth football come next week with Foster and Tate....

TheMatrix31
11-06-2011, 09:43 PM
That's 4 more than the Texans had last year in a tougher division.

So I still don't get it. Forgive me for this aside, but if you're not a Texans fan by any means, then what exactly are you doing here? Did you state the purpose of you being ona Texans board in another thread and I might have missed it? Serious question.

The Pencil Neck
11-06-2011, 09:45 PM
That's 4 more than the Texans had last year in a tougher division.

They beat:

The Browns (5-11)
The Panthers (2-14) twice
The Bengals (4-12)
The Rams (7-9)
The Cardinals (5-11)
The Niners (6-10)
The Redskins (6-10)
The Seahawks (7-9)
The Saints (11-5) (The Saints were already in the Playoffs, I think.)

They went 2-4 in that tougher division and they didn't get any win against a team with a winning record except for the Saints.

So basically they did last year what we've been accused of this year (beating up weaker opponents) but it wasn't enough to get them into the playoffs.

I expected them to be stronger this season but it doesn't look like they're building on last years success.

TheMatrix31
11-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Ok cool. Thanks for answering.

TheMatrix31
11-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Houston would have been 9-7 or 10-6 too if it werent for (literally) a handul of plays that went the other way. Andre kicking the ball into the SD DB's hands, the fumble and subsequent Hail Mary against Jacksonville, 50 seconds against New York, etc.

6-10 was not nearly indicative of things last year. Awful, awful defense.

Praise Wade Phillips.

ArlingtonTexan
11-06-2011, 10:13 PM
My only concern right now is hoping the Texans win aganst Tampa. I have been patient for 10 years now, I want to continue to enjoy seeing consistent quality football week-in week-out. the Texans do that all the "other" stuff will come.

TexanSam
11-06-2011, 10:20 PM
As a Texans fan, I don't want to start thinking that far ahead. We've easily beaten 3 opponents we're supposed to. Tampa is our first real test against a good team since Oakland (well they were good at the time). Have to take it one game at a time.

The Pencil Neck
11-06-2011, 10:22 PM
That actually helps my point. They lost 5/6 divisional matchups. The fact they managed 10 wins that year is admirable. In Tampa's case, the Rams and Seahawks weren't necessarily weaker than Tampa. NFC West's problem is that those team are all so even that they just cancel each other out. I bet they just picked straws to see who wins the division but San Fran is making people take notice this year.

So, you're saying that Tampa was a 10 win team that was approximately the strength of a couple of 7 win teams? That helps your point how?

What you've basically said is that you don't give a lot of credit to those 10 wins, either. Which was TK's point that you disagreed with.

Allstar
11-06-2011, 10:22 PM
So there you are. Take it for what you will. By the time, the NBA gets their stuff together. I won't even be active on the website.

So do you think Morey finally makes the blockbuster trade this year?

srrono
11-06-2011, 10:38 PM
look here!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c2d42c/article/playoff-picture-2011?campaign=Twitter_features

TexanSam
11-06-2011, 10:50 PM
look here!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c2d42c/article/playoff-picture-2011?campaign=Twitter_features

The Bengals are the #1 seed after 9 weeks?! Wow. Not even Bengals fan could have predicted that.

incubry
11-06-2011, 10:55 PM
look here!

Found something similar over on ESPN with a little more detail. If I'm reading it correctly, we would have a first round bye.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/type/playoffs/sort/conferenceRank/order/false

TexanSam
11-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Found something similar over on ESPN with a little more detail. If I'm reading it correctly, we would have a first round bye.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/type/playoffs/sort/conferenceRank/order/false

Yep. If the season ended today the Bengals and us would have a first round bye while New England would host Pittsburgh and Kansas City would host Baltimore. We would play the highest seeded team of the two winners.

Playoff race in the AFC is going to be intense. Who know who's going to win the AFC West and the Jets and Buffalo are going to be in the running for a wild card spot or division title.

thunderkyss
11-06-2011, 11:05 PM
So basically they did last year what we've been accused of this year (beating up weaker opponents) but it wasn't enough to get them into the playoffs.

I expected them to be stronger this season but it doesn't look like they're building on last years success.

I would be worried if they were beating up weaker opponents. But they aren't. They're winning, but even they couldn't tell you how they are doing it. It's "just happening"

We're beating up on weaker opponents.... & that's good. It's good to be the bully.

Norg
11-06-2011, 11:13 PM
if we beat Tampa then i will think that why but yeah if we lose to tampa and tenn wins next week we will be back in the same boat

Showtime100
11-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Arsenal. Just me speaking. Why don't you try and.......I don't know............be nice and ingratiate yourself????? Take time and make safe posts until they get to know you??

Just me and neg me all you want. But when I came here I had the brains to read more than post.

El Tejano
11-07-2011, 07:22 AM
I've said it once and I will say it again. I'm waiting for the Bye!

MojoMan
11-07-2011, 07:37 AM
If the Patriots or the Jets win their next two games and the Texans beat the Bucs, then coming out of the bye week the Texans will be tied with one of those teams for that #2 playoff seed. Depending on the tie-breakers, the Texans could fall out of that spot even with a win over Tampa this Sunday. And then there will still be six games to go after that.

I hope the Texans do earn a first round bye. But truth be told, it is going to be a long, hard uphill climb. It looks like the division winners from the AFC South, East and North are all going to be in the mix for these top two spots.

eriadoc
11-07-2011, 07:42 AM
I have been thinking about this for a while now. With the Colts down, should we as a fan base really be satisfied with 10-6 and a #3 seed? Maybe satisfied is the wrong word, I guess. But it's one of those cases where we shouldn't ignore in victory what we wouldn't in defeat, I think. If the Colts were healthy this year, there's a good chance that's one win the team might not have. What record would be good enough to topple the Colts?

I guess what I'm saying is that, while the playoffs are the obvious goal, I think the team should also be thinking about what it takes to topple a healthy Manning-led Colts so they can put a lock on the division. It should be the Texans' time. Just as one-and-done will leave me very dissatisfied as a fan, falling from the playoffs next year would as well.

All of this is putting the cart ahead of the horse, certainly, but that was the bent of the thread, so I just went along.

thunderkyss
11-07-2011, 07:51 AM
I have been thinking about this for a while now. With the Colts down, should we as a fan base really be satisfied with 10-6 and a #3 seed? Maybe satisfied is the wrong word, I guess. But it's one of those cases where we shouldn't ignore in victory what we wouldn't in defeat, I think. If the Colts were healthy this year, there's a good chance that's one win the team might not have. What record would be good enough to topple the Colts?

Once a team has locked up a play-off spot, it's only natural to start thinking about home field advantage.

The Texans haven't locked up that spot yet, but optimism is good now, we beat three teams we should have beat, we're 6-3, & our only divisional competition just slipped to two & a half games behind us.

The one win the Colts might have on us, has yet to be played. We should expect to beat the Colts at home regardless if Manning is playing or not.

I guess what I'm saying is that, while the playoffs are the obvious goal, I think the team should also be thinking about what it takes to topple a healthy Manning-led Colts so they can put a lock on the division. It should be the Texans' time. Just as one-and-done will leave me very dissatisfied as a fan, falling from the playoffs next year would as well.

Everyone here was pissed last year when we didn't win the division. You look at our 6-10 record & you can say we're delusional for thinking we should have won it.

But.... we should have. The talent was there, the Colts were just as weak & the Jags & Titans were struggling (as were we). Had Wade been here (or if Frank Bush was as aggressive as he was in 2009) we would have competed for the division last year.... the defensive turnaround you see wouldn't be possible if we were totally void of talent as our defensive record suggested last season.

The Question about this team being competitive or not in the division next year has little to do with a lack of confidence in this teams ability.... it's the leadership.

All of this is putting the cart ahead of the horse, certainly, but that was the bent of the thread, so I just went along.

I think you're right where we all need to be. The last six years were hard enough, it would be worth it (I think..... sort of) if we are on the brink of a decade of excellence.

MojoMan
11-07-2011, 08:08 AM
It is not helpful for the bar to be raised part way through the season. All it does is take away the Texan's opportunity to exceed expectations. For fans who fall into this trap, they just increase their chances for disappointment and aggravation, as all of the slack has been removed from the line.

How much better if we just determine a reasonable expectation and stick with it. At the beginning of the season, 10-6 seemed like a reasonable goal to most people. If the Texans achieve 10-6 and make the playoffs I will be happy. If they achieve 11-5 or better I will be ecstatic.

Let's not forget that many on this board were on the verge of a full meltdown three weeks ago when the Texans lost to the Ravens in Baltimore. How quickly things change. Now the manic depressive cycle appears to be angling towards manic mode.

Come on people. You are just going to upset yourselves with this sort of thinking. Set it the expectation and leave it alone. Otherwise, you are just in for a lot of unnecessary aggravation - much of which will be self inflicted.

IDEXAN
11-07-2011, 08:19 AM
My only concern right now is hoping the Texans win aganst Tampa.
I'm with you A-T. But you gotta admit that all of these other guys who are busy devising game-plans for our contest vs the Packers early next year in Indy are good for the entertainment-value ?

Texn4life
11-07-2011, 08:19 AM
It is not helpful for the bar to be raised part way through the season. All it does is take away the Texan's opportunity to exceed expectations. For fans who fall into this trap, they just increase their chances for disappointment and aggravation, as all of the slack has been removed from the line.

How much better if we just determine a reasonable expectation and stick with it. At the beginning of the season, 10-6 seemed like a reasonable goal to most people. If the Texans achieve 10-6 and make the playoffs I will be happy. If they achieve 11-5 or better I will be ecstatic.

Let's not forget that many on this board were on the verge of a full meltdown three weeks ago when the Texans lost to the Ravens in Baltimore. How quickly things change. Now the manic depressive cycle appears to be angling towards manic mode.

Come on people. You are just going to upset yourselves with this sort of thinking. Set it the expectation and leave it alone. Otherwise, you are just in for a lot of unnecessary aggravation - much of which will be self inflicted.

I'm sorry, but I kind of see this as a loser's mentality. Sure it would be easy to shoot for a lower goal, but every year the goal should be to win a championship. If you fall short then so be it, but that shouldn't keep anyone from wanting the top prize. I would feel no less disappointed than I did our first year in existence when we weren't winning games. Like Herm Edwards said, "You play to win the game!". Our goal should be to win every game from this point out. Shooting for lower goals doesn't make us any more successful if we should hit them as opposed to setting our goal for a #1 seed and not hitting that goal. We need to get rid of this loser's mentality immediately people!

MojoMan
11-07-2011, 08:36 AM
I'm sorry, but I kind of see this as a loser's mentality. Sure it would be easy to shoot for a lower goal, but every year the goal should be to win a championship. If you fall short then so be it, but that shouldn't keep anyone from wanting the top prize. I would feel no less disappointed than I did our first year in existence when we weren't winning games. Like Herm Edwards said, "You play to win the game!". Our goal should be to win every game from this point out. Shooting for lower goals doesn't make us any more successful if we should hit them as opposed to setting our goal for a #1 seed and not hitting that goal. We need to get rid of this loser's mentality immediately people!

It is not a lower goal. It is the same reasonable goal that was set at the start of the season. There are ups and downs throughout the year for most teams and the Texans are obviously no exception to that. Of course the goal is to win every game. And that is true for every team in every sport at every level.

I hope the Texans win out and win the Super Bowl this year. But I am not going to belatedly expect them to do that because I know it will likely spoil my enjoyment of this team this year and into the off-season next year. It is not about setting a "lower" goal, it is about managing expectations and not getting caught up into the negativity that is inherently associated with the manic-depressive cycle that many people around here seem to be committed to sustaining.

NFL football is entertainment to me. I enjoy the games and the competition for the playoffs and the Super Bowl title. If I look at it through the lense of either the Texans are Super Bowl champs or they suck, then where is the enjoyment in that? The Texans are likely to win a Super Bowl at some point, but setting the expectations bar too high just makes for discouragement and aggravation. And there is just no fun or enjoyment in that.

Let's leave the Texans some margin to exceed expectations. Then if they are able to do that, it will really be time to celebrate.

thunderkyss
11-07-2011, 08:38 AM

My expectation for this team was an AFC Championship game appearance from the start. Maybe a little unrealistic, but that is what I felt this team was capable of.

After seeing our defense over the first 4 games & realizing the true state of our division, it became more & more likely to me.

9 games into it, watching the other teams in the league & realizing just how weak the second half of our schedule "looks"... I've actually increased my expectation from not only being in the AFC Championship game, but making a strong showing (possible win).

FalseStart made my Avatar for me on 7-30-11.... that's how long my expectations has been at AFC Champions.

My only "bobble" has been after the Raiders' game. That's when I realized I don't know how this is going to play out. I haven't penciled in wins & loses or predicted how we'll win any particular game. But I'm very confident in the talent on this team... & we're playing as well as anybody. Bottom line, I don't know how we're going to get there, but I know we're going to get there.

:koolaid:

thunderkyss
11-07-2011, 08:42 AM
I'm with you A-T. But you gotta admit that all of these other guys who are busy devising game-plans for our contest vs the Packers early next year in Indy are good for the entertainment-value ?

We won't be playing the Packers. Most likely going to be the Giants or Nawlins.

Texn4life
11-07-2011, 08:43 AM
It is not a lower goal. It is the same reasonable goal that was set at the start of the season. There are ups and downs throughout the year for most teams and the Texans are obviously no exception to that. Of course the goal is to win every game. And that is true for every team in every sport at every level.

I hope the Texans win out and win the Super Bowl this year. But I am not going to belatedly expect them to do that because I know it will likely spoil my enjoyment of this team this year and into the off-season next year. It is not about setting a "lower" goal, it is about managing expectations and not getting caught up into the negativity that is inherently associated with the manic-depressive cycle that many people around here seem to be committed to sustaining.

NFL football is entertainment to me. I enjoy the games and the competition for the playoffs and the Super Bowl title. If I look at it through the lense of either the Texans are Super Bowl champs or they suck, then where is the enjoyment in that? The Texans are likely to win a Super Bowl at some point, but setting the expectations bar too high just makes for discouragement and aggravation. And there is just no fun or enjoyment in that.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see things this way. That would be like a parent telling his kid who's been a D student all of his life that he shouldn't try to make the honor roll because the original goal starting the school year was to carry a C average even though he started off making B's and C's for the year. Its a loser's mentality in my view. There's nothing wrong with adjusting expectation during the process, but saying that we shouldn't expect or want more is for the weak minded. Just my opinion though.

thunderkyss
11-07-2011, 08:49 AM
The Texans are likely to win a Super Bowl at some point, but setting the expectations bar too high just makes for discouragement and aggravation. And there is just no fun or enjoyment in that.

I here what you are saying. Like, where has Rex Ryan got to go now? He's been telling that team they were Super Bowl contenders & failed to get there two years in a row. How does he continue to sell that to that club? & how do they continue to buy it?

I personally won't be aggravated in the least if the team gave it their best shot & fell short. Of course, I've got my own idea of their "best shot" & they've yet to live up to it.

Still, my aggravation level has remained tempered.

:overreact:

texanmojo
11-07-2011, 10:57 AM
The Texans are likely to win a Super Bowl at some point

Is it too much to ask to win one before Big Bud kicks it? I want him to see us win it before he goes.

infantrycak
11-07-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm sorry, but I just don't see things this way. That would be like a parent telling his kid who's been a D student all of his life that he shouldn't try to make the honor roll because the original goal starting the school year was to carry a C average even though he started off making B's and C's for the year. Its a loser's mentality in my view. There's nothing wrong with adjusting expectation during the process, but saying that we shouldn't expect or want more is for the weak minded. Just my opinion though.

I think people are missing the valid point Mojo is making. Your analogy of parenting is off. Yes as a parent you always set perfection as the goal. But yearly as fans people make all sorts of predictions (which is a different animal than hopes or goals). If a person was predicting 8-8 before the season then they shouldn't complain if the Texans go 11-5 but don't get the #1 seed. You didn't expect it in the first place. If the Texans are the #2 seed they should still be saying "they are doing better than I thought they would."

Texn4life
11-07-2011, 11:41 AM
I think people are missing the valid point Mojo is making. Your analogy of parenting is off. Yes as a parent you always set perfection as the goal. But yearly as fans people make all sorts of predictions (which is a different animal than hopes or goals). If a person was predicting 8-8 before the season then they shouldn't complain if the Texans go 11-5 but don't get the #1 seed. You didn't expect it in the first place. If the Texans are the #2 seed they should still be saying "they are doing better than I thought they would."

I understand what he's trying to say, but in my opinion its not one that I feel like good teams have. Let's set our expectations lower so we won't be disappointed if they don't reach it? I'm sorry, its just not the way I live life. Like I said, it comes off as a loser's mentality IN MY OPINION. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but I just don't like that way of thinking. This is a year where the AFC wide open so while winning the division is great, there's no reason why we can't be a team with Super Bowl aspirations. The sooner we start shedding this "loser's mentality", the better we'll be for it.

infantrycak
11-07-2011, 11:54 AM
I understand what he's trying to say, but in my opinion its not one that I feel like good teams have. Let's set our expectations lower so we won't be disappointed if they don't reach it? I'm sorry, its just not the way I live life. Like I said, it comes off as a loser's mentality IN MY OPINION. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but I just don't like that way of thinking. This is a year where the AFC wide open so while winning the division is great, there's no reason why we can't be a team with Super Bowl aspirations. The sooner we start shedding this "loser's mentality", the better we'll be for it.

No you are still missing the point.

He isn't talking about what the team expects. Yes they should expect to win every game.

He is talking about fans and that has jack to do with loser mentality, yada, yada. That's called being honest. If you as a fan predicted 8-8 before the season then if they go 11-5 don't piss and moan they weren't 13-3.

Even if you choose to piss and moan it won't affect the team and won't help them have a winner's mentality.

Whose perspective is being discussed matters.

Texn4life
11-07-2011, 12:05 PM
No you are still missing the point.

He isn't talking about what the team expects. Yes they should expect to win every game.

He is talking about fans and that has jack to do with loser mentality, yada, yada. That's called being honest. If you as a fan predicted 8-8 before the season then if they go 11-5 don't piss and moan they weren't 13-3.

Even if you choose to piss and moan it won't affect the team and won't help them have a winner's mentality.

Whose perspective is being discussed matters.

I understand that he's talking about the fans, but its still a loser's mentality IN MY OPINION. I'll put it in bold again so you see it. As a fan I won't hesitate to set expectations for a team I root for high because I'm scared they won't meet them. To me, that's just silly. I expected for the Rockets to compete for an NBA championship last year and it didn't happen. Will that keep me from expecting that from them again? Of course not. Sorry, but this is just a difference of opinions that we share on this one. You can temper your expectations so you don't get let down, but I'm not afraid of that. I expect for this team to do great things. Should they not do that like they have in years past, then so be it. But I won't have a loser's mentality and say I expect them to just make the playoffs in a weak division this year.

ObsiWan
11-07-2011, 12:15 PM
look here!

WAITAMINIT!!
How is it that NFL.com has the Chargers on top of the AFC West and ESPN has KC leading?? Does ESPN have it's own rules?
:spin:

thunderkyss
11-07-2011, 01:37 PM
I understand that he's talking about the fans, but its still a loser's mentality IN MY OPINION. I'll put it in bold again so you see it. As a fan I won't hesitate to set expectations for a team I root for high because I'm scared they won't meet them. To me, that's just silly. I expected for the Rockets to compete for an NBA championship last year and it didn't happen. Will that keep me from expecting that from them again? Of course not. Sorry, but this is just a difference of opinions that we share on this one. You can temper your expectations so you don't get let down, but I'm not afraid of that. I expect for this team to do great things. Should they not do that like they have in years past, then so be it. But I won't have a loser's mentality and say I expect them to just make the playoffs in a weak division this year.

If your expectations were for the Texans to win the AFC Championship game, then this doesn't apply to you.

Mojo (& infantrycak) are just saying if people had the expectation that the Texans would be one & done Wild Card weekend then they shouldn't get their panties in a bunch if they lose after a first round bye.

You & I aren't in that category, we expect to see them in the AFC Championship game.

To put this in perspective, if your expectation is for the team to win the AFC Championship game you shouldn't be disappointed if they get blown out in the Super Bowl..... since they exceeded your expectations, you should be satisfied that they did as well as you thought they could.

Texn4life
11-07-2011, 01:54 PM
If your expectations were for the Texans to win the AFC Championship game, then this doesn't apply to you.

Mojo (& infantrycak) are just saying if people had the expectation that the Texans would be one & done Wild Card weekend then they shouldn't get their panties in a bunch if they lose after a first round bye.

You & I aren't in that category, we expect to see them in the AFC Championship game.

To put this in perspective, if your expectation is for the team to win the AFC Championship game you shouldn't be disappointed if they get blown out in the Super Bowl..... since they exceeded your expectations, you should be satisfied that they did as well as you thought they could.

If that's the case then I understand, but the way I took it was that no one should adjust expectations based on how the season is going which I don't understand. I've said from Day 1 this year that this team can play with anyone and that's how I feel now. You think 49ers fans are thinking about just winning the division now? No, they're thinking about winning the Super Bowl. There isn't any reason why you can't adjust your expectations as the season goes along. I'm not saying anything negatively towards anyone who feels that way, but its just not how I view things.

keyser
11-07-2011, 02:26 PM
As someone who was a Cowboys fan before switching over to the Texans, this has been one of the biggest differences I've seen in the fan bases. Cowboys fans want/expect a Super Bowl almost every year, regardless of whether it's really realistic that the team will get there. I don't think any Cowboys fan is really happy with anything less than a Super Bowl victory (there are maybe a couple of years in history that were an exception, when it was a clear rebuilding year, like the very beginning of the Jimmy Johnson era). Texans fans tend to be more realistic, and it's why most people would be happy with finally getting to the playoffs this year.

I know that the fan attitude is not player attitude, but I think there's probably some bleedover, at least from fans->front office->players. Lots of people have remarked on McNair being "too" patient with coaches and stuff (just compare to Jerry Jones - would Kubiak still be here?). While McNair seems happy with improvement, Jones seems unhappy with less than a clear run toward a Super Bowl.

The Pencil Neck
11-07-2011, 02:50 PM
As someone who was a Cowboys fan before switching over to the Texans, this has been one of the biggest differences I've seen in the fan bases. Cowboys fans want/expect a Super Bowl almost every year, regardless of whether it's really realistic that the team will get there. I don't think any Cowboys fan is really happy with anything less than a Super Bowl victory (there are maybe a couple of years in history that were an exception, when it was a clear rebuilding year, like the very beginning of the Jimmy Johnson era). Texans fans tend to be more realistic, and it's why most people would be happy with finally getting to the playoffs this year.

I know that the fan attitude is not player attitude, but I think there's probably some bleedover, at least from fans->front office->players. Lots of people have remarked on McNair being "too" patient with coaches and stuff (just compare to Jerry Jones - would Kubiak still be here?). While McNair seems happy with improvement, Jones seems unhappy with less than a clear run toward a Super Bowl.

I think it all depends on history and tradition.

The Cowboys have gotten to a bunch of SBs and so the fans expect that. The Steelers, Patriots, Niners, and Raiders fans all expect to get there. But for teams like the Eagles, the Chargers, the Lions, the Browns, those fanbases have different expectations and/or hopes. The Eagles and Chargers expect to get to the playoffs but I don't think they expect to get to/win a SB because they haven't done it very often; the Lions and Browns, I don't think they serious think they'll get to a SB and I think they'd be happy if their team could consistently get to the playoffs... just like us at this point.

But once the team gets to the playoffs a few times and the fanbase starts to expect that, that's when the pressure to win a SB starts to mount.

74 Dean
11-07-2011, 03:08 PM
this team reminds me of the '81 niners. finished 13-3.
defense = good.

Ole Miss Texan
11-07-2011, 03:13 PM
At this point in our history, Texans fans "expecting" our team to go to the Super Bowl each year is like any of us "expecting" to date movie stars and super models. First we need to date a few gals 'out of our league' before we start reaching further up the ladder. That's not loser mentality, that's just the truth. :smooch:

Norg
11-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Lets not blow are wad here bottom line is Tampa is a NFC game losing this game is not the end of the world because there is also a good chance tampa will beat the Jags and Tenn

are most important games i think NOW are

@ Jags

VS Tenn

Texn4life
11-07-2011, 03:30 PM
At this point in our history, Texans fans "expecting" our team to go to the Super Bowl each year is like any of us "expecting" to date movie stars and super models. First we need to date a few gals 'out of our league' before we start reaching further up the ladder. That's not loser mentality, that's just the truth. :smooch:

Speak for yourself on that one Missy....... That is your truth, not mine and a lot of other Texans fans that I know.

Double Barrel
11-07-2011, 03:50 PM
We, the fans, have nothing to do with preparing for next week or any other week. It's our job to discuss possibilities and look ahead. No team has ever lost a game and blamed it on the fans for looking ahead.

yep. Unless you believe in jinxes and all that cosmik debris, talking about the potential of the future is part of the fun of being fans. We react to what has already happened and speculate about the possibilities that might occur.

But nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, we do as individual fans has even the slightest impact of action and results on the field.

Good post, man. I had them pegged at 9-7 and hopefully making a wildcard before the season. So I'm nothing but extremely pleased with the way things are going and the potential this team is showing, especially without our superstars.

I'm still one-week-at-a-time fan, because 6-3 can lead to anything from 13-3 and 6-10. At this point, I think it's realistic to hope for 10-6 or better and the AFC division title. If just those things occur, even if we lose the first playoff game, I don't see how Texans fans can't at least be excited that they finally got that proverbial monkey off the franchise's back.

One phrase, two words: winning tradition.

The Pencil Neck did a great job of elaborating on it. Decades of winning seasons and multiple championships will condition a fanbase to expect great things.

yep. QFT. I think expecting a team that has never been to the playoffs to win a Super Bowl is setting yourself up, but to each his own. I'm not going to fault anyone for shooting for the moon.

jradMIT
11-07-2011, 04:51 PM
I think We have the inside track to get the #2 seed.

AFC North

Baltimore has the inside track for the number 1. They have two 2 loses and the tie breaker over the Texans. They have to play Cincy Twice, @San Diego and SF at home. Easy games, 2 against Cleveland, Colts, and Seattle. They would have to at least lose twice, more likely 3 times for us to pass them. Pittsburg We have the tiebreaker over and they pretty much have the same schedule as Baltimore without San Diego, they do have to go to SF on the road. Cincy still has to play Pittsburg and Baltimore twice plus us.

AFC East

NE, NYJ, and Buf all have three loses and all have to play each other plus the NFC East which is no small order.

AFC West

All 4-4, Nothing to see here. No one is really standing out and they still have play each other and the NFC North.

AFC South

Only the Texans in the conversation. We have to win our division games, and win 3 of 4 or possibly 2 of 4 @TB, vs ATL, @Cincy and vs Car. There is a clear path there. But you have to take care of business. CINCY, TB, CAR, ATL and @Jax (division games are tough, and this seems personal to them). Can we go 6-1? or even crazier to ask run the table? Possibly, but to do that we need AJ back, to get lucky and stay reasonably healthy, and continue playing good defense especially to the teams that can pass which I think is still our weakness.