PDA

View Full Version : Former defensive lineman Eaton says Belichick used to pay him to start fights

Wolf
11-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Former defensive lineman Eaton says Belichick used to pay him to start fights in practice

Generally speaking, football coaches have mixed responses to player fights in practice. On the public side, they will usually say that the lack of discipline inherent in such extracurricular activity goes against everything they're trying to establish. But in their hearts of hearts, a high percentage of those same coaches would tell you, if pressed, that a little unscheduled violence fits the bill when you're trying to get your team to play aggressively.

Chad Eaton, a former defensive tackle who played for current New England Patriots Bill Belichick during the 1995 season on the Cleveland Browns' practice squad back when Belichick coached there, recently told the Dayton Daily News that Belichick went to the extreme of paying certain players to start stuff in practice at scheduled intervals.

"If practice was going slow, he'd look at me and just say, 'It's time,' " Eaton said. "He wanted me to get on somebody's (case) and start a little fight. I was known for that and it paid off on Fridays. There'd always be some extra money in my locker. Practice players don't make much, so I really appreciated it."

"I don't remember that," Belichick told a pool reporter on Friday when he was asked about Eaton's claim.

Of course, that wouldn't be the first time Belichick ran afoul of the NFL's rules and regulations, though there wouldn't likely be any punishment for a 16-year-old infraction. But when it was discovered that Belichick had directed his staff to illegally record the practices of opponents and opponents in games, the "Spygate" scandal cost the Patriots $250,000, Belichick half a million dollars, and the team its first-round draft choice in 2008.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Former-defensive-lineman-Eaton-says-Belichick-us?urn=nfl-wp11137

DexmanC
11-06-2011, 11:32 AM
You gotta admit, if Belichick DID do what Eaton accuses, that would be quite creative.

TexansSeminole
11-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Belichick is so smart. Best coach in the game. He knows how to get his team ready and is willing to do whatever it takes to win.

Vinny
11-06-2011, 12:17 PM
I donno if I can believe that. I've seen clips of Belichick giving guys hell for wasting his practice time fighting.

jaayteetx
11-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Belichick is so smart. Best coach in the game. He knows how to get his team ready and is willing to do whatever it takes to win.

Don't think that worked out so well for him in Cleveland.

Rey
11-06-2011, 01:33 PM
"I dont remember that" sounds like an admission of guilt to me.

Eaton was fairly detailed in how it happened.

If someone said I did something like that and it wasn't true I'd say he was lying. How can you "not remember" something like that and be such a detail oriented person that it takes to be an NFL head coach.

Wolf
11-06-2011, 01:34 PM
...wrong thread

Blake
11-07-2011, 09:18 AM
"I dont remember that" sounds like an admission of guilt to me.

Eaton was fairly detailed in how it happened.

If someone said I did something like that and it wasn't true I'd say he was lying. How can you "not remember" something like that and be such a detail oriented person that it takes to be an NFL head coach.

Exactly! He left it open so that he wasnt lying.