PDA

View Full Version : For Detroit's sake, sign this petition.

powerfuldragon
11-04-2011, 03:57 AM
http://www.change.org/petitions/nickelback-ban-nickelback-from-playing-at-the-thanksgiving-day-game-in-detroit

I doubt the NFL will hear this, out of touch suits they are, but there's been a petition floating about protesting the fact that Nickelback is booked to play during detroit's thanksgiving game.

This petition is important to the fans of the Detroit Lions Why? Our team is representing Detroit on Thanksgiving day, Detroit is rich in musical history! We dont want to be associated with a band that is a sad representation of what Rock and roll should be. Bands like nickelback and other Radio rock bands like them are offensive to real musicians. Sign this petition if you are also offended by this terrible choice of "Entertainment" on Thanksgiving day.

Rey
11-04-2011, 07:39 AM
I like nickelback. :shrug:

toronto
11-04-2011, 07:42 AM
considering the number of Detroit musicians they could dive into, I love it. Bring Bob Seger, Kid Rock, hell Aretha!

Beats Nickelback as far as I am concerned. :kubepalm:

Señor Stan
11-04-2011, 11:32 AM
considering the number of Detroit musicians they could dive into, I love it. Bring Bob Seger, Kid Rock, hell Aretha!

Beats Nickelback as far as I am concerned. :kubepalm:

I don't want to hear Nickleback even if I paid a dollar for something that cost 95 cents.

Hervoyel
11-04-2011, 11:47 AM
I've never been much of a fan of theirs (Nickelback) but obviously someone likes them. Much like Hootie & the Blowfish and the Bee Gee's before them they sold a lot of records and whether people want to admit it or not somebody out there bought them.

I've never understood the need to elevate a band to the top of the world and then collectively all turn on them and act like they're the worst thing to ever happen to music.

It's a halftime show right? Why in the world would anybody care?

Stemp
11-04-2011, 11:49 AM
They probably want to bring in Kid Rock instead.

jaayteetx
11-04-2011, 12:21 PM
I like nickelback. :shrug:

all their songs sound the same

Rey
11-04-2011, 01:48 PM
all their songs sound the same

Ok...

I'm not trying to convine others to like them...I'm just saying that they don't suck IMO...

But folks have differnt taste and I can see why people may not like them.

El Tejano
11-04-2011, 01:59 PM
I've never been much of a fan of theirs (Nickelback) but obviously someone likes them. Much like Hootie & the Blowfish and the Bee Gee's before them they sold a lot of records and whether people want to admit it or not somebody out there bought them.

I've never understood the need to elevate a band to the top of the world and then collectively all turn on them and act like they're the worst thing to ever happen to music.

I don't think it's the fans that want to do that. I believe it the record labels that force the fans to do that. They wear them out and change their styles etc...

Ryan
11-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Ok...

I'm not trying to convine others to like them...I'm just saying that they don't suck IMO...

But folks have differnt taste and I can see why people may not like them.

I used to like Nickelback alot until All the Right Reasons. That was their downfall.

powerfuldragon
11-04-2011, 03:17 PM

nickelback is sorta just the figurehead of the entire major label garbage rock genre.

gtexan02
11-04-2011, 03:42 PM
PD, your hipster is showing

Corrosion
11-04-2011, 03:44 PM
nickelback is sorta just the figurehead of the entire major label garbage rock genre.

Honestly I'd give that title to some bands who have been around much longer ... and changed their sound for the almighty dollar. I can think of literally dozens.

The most pure mucis tends to be that which is created prior to record lables knowing who the hell they are.

powerfuldragon
11-04-2011, 03:47 PM
aerosmith?

TexCanada
11-04-2011, 03:59 PM
White Stripes reunion show! Actually that would be too epic for a halftime show, it would need to be a full concert.

Double Barrel
11-04-2011, 04:50 PM

yep. I'll sign the petition on principle alone. Some folks gotta' have standards.

Vinny
11-04-2011, 11:11 PM
I watch the SB for the game....all this sideshow stuff is for the corporate comrades and the foo-foo fans. The SB has had all kinds of awful halftime shows in the past. Why should this year be any different? Nothing against NB.

DBCooper
11-05-2011, 12:14 AM
Uhhhhhhhhhhh, aren't they Canadian?

DexmanC
11-05-2011, 09:39 PM
How the HELL we wind up LIKE THIS???
Why weren't we able...
to bring in some body ELSE?

gg no re
11-05-2011, 09:59 PM
NHL Canadian fans have been successful in rejecting a proposed performance by Nickelback this year.

As American NFL fans, I feel we are compelled to be as steadfast as our northern neighbors, and say no to Nickelback.

gg no re
11-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Elder-era KISS >>>>>>>>>> Nickelback

gg no re
11-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Insane Clown Posse making a Faygo infomercial as a halftime show >>>>>>>> Nickelback's career

gg no re
11-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Shirtless flabby Jack White >>>>>>>>>>>>>> the mention of Nickelback

gg no re
11-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Rapping Kid Rock > Country Kid Rock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nickelback

Vinny
11-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Ok, I don't listen to NB, but I don't find their music offensive to the ears....so can someone fill me in on why they are disliked so much? It seems to be something more than their music....perhaps? Something? I'm getting curious.

mexican_texan
11-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Ok, I don't listen to NB, but I don't find their music offensive to the ears....so can someone fill me in on why they are disliked so much? It seems to be something more than their music....perhaps? Something? I'm getting curious.
It's so generic and unimaginative, it's offensive.

gg no re
11-05-2011, 10:39 PM

I think the best way to understand it is that while early alternate rock bands like Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, etc. were legitimate like the Beatles, influenced bands like Nickelback, Theory of a Deadman, and Hinder come across as manufactured and insincere, much like the Monkees.

Ghostform
11-05-2011, 10:54 PM
this woulda been a better booking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgXzMgPYjMo

Scooter
11-06-2011, 05:15 PM
I think the best way to understand it is that while early alternate rock bands like Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, etc. were legitimate like the Beatles, influenced bands like Nickelback, Theory of a Deadman, and Hinder come across as manufactured and insincere, much like the Monkees.

as someone who grew up with grunge and absolutely love the bands mentioned (as well as many others like soundgarden and STP), i think you're exactly right with that description. however i dont see anything wrong with that, i actually like nickelback. not everybody's going to be groundbreaking or even original, but they do a good job of "giving the people what they want". it's a talented group with a good sound and fun to listen to - with more than a dozen major singles that are enjoyable and recognized by the masses, along with many more smaller hits.

to each their own.
idonno:

KA4Texan
11-06-2011, 07:00 PM
While I don't "like" NB I also don't understand the hate for them.

I have never understood the two sides of "fans" if they change their sound they are "sell outs" if they sound the same on every album "they refuse to grow".

How many of us would honestly turn down millions if offered to play powerchords and sing about emotions (even if rehashed or generic) rather than our day to day BS for not even half that?

I love music and have since I was a child, but the older I get I gotta say honestly sign me up for the sell out train.

Nickleback IS NOT the death of music, if you want to blame any group, blame the old Mtv (back when they played music) and the record labels that followed suit with"image" being their goal over the sound.

Besides, I'll take "pretend rock" over "real rap" anyday.

Showtime100
11-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Ok, if they'll sign a petition saying the Astros don't move to the Arena League I'll sign their piddly worry about their halftime show that nobody cares about.

http://www.change.org/petitions/bud-selig-leave-the-houston-astros-in-the-national-league

Giant Tiger
11-06-2011, 08:19 PM
NHL Canadian fans have been successful in rejecting a proposed performance by Nickelback this year.

As American NFL fans, I feel we are compelled to be as steadfast as our northern neighbors, and say no to Nickelback.

At least it's not The Rankin Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj0x34ICsTI

I've had to put up with their music at work for years :brickwall: Worst Canadian group ever!!

Scooter
11-06-2011, 08:57 PM
While I don't "like" NB I also don't understand the hate for them.

it's trendy

chicagotexan2
11-06-2011, 11:03 PM
I wish I cared more but I don't. No matter how bad nicklenutsack sucks I am just happy that there's a good team in det playing on thanksgiving this year. Let's see if the four tops are available.

Playoffs
11-06-2011, 11:54 PM
I couldn't give two sh!ts who the "band" is at a football game,

Unless it's The Mob or The Ocean of Soul ... like them.

steelbtexan
11-07-2011, 12:37 AM
Kid Rock> Nickleback

And I like Nickleback.

Scooter
11-07-2011, 01:07 AM
a halftime show by tool would be epic (and epically long), especially if they can get the left field claymation visuals integrated on stage.

bloodhound gang would be awesome as well, the innuendo would pass FCC and be all types of fun.

the one i want to see in a major event however is gorillaz for obvious reasons.

KA4Texan
11-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Get a petition to get Maynard for halftime and I would sign that. I wouldn't care if it were under the APC, Tool or Puscifer name that would be a halftime show I didn't hit the mute button.

Double Barrel
11-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Yes, we can make a difference! :wild:

But fans aren’t taking it lying down, with more than 43,000 people signing a petition at change.org that asks show producers to reconsider their choice.

Source (http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/11/07/detroiters-launch-petition-against-nickelback-halftime-show/)

I watch the SB for the game....all this sideshow stuff is for the corporate comrades and the foo-foo fans. The SB has had all kinds of awful halftime shows in the past. Why should this year be any different? Nothing against NB.

It's not the Super Bowl halftime show. It's a show for Thanksgiving Day game in Detroit.

My take is that Motown should be represented. Much deeper, organic sound than anything corporate America can produce *cough*Nickelback*cough*.

Vinny
11-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Yes, we can make a difference! :wild:

It's not the Super Bowl halftime show. It's a show for Thanksgiving Day game in Detroit.

My take is that Motown should be represented. Much deeper, organic sound than anything corporate America can produce *cough*Nickelback*cough*.my bad, it sure helps to read. I tell Jayson all the time that, 'you know the difference between the guy who doesn't know how to read, and the guy who chooses not to read'? Nothing.

:fingergun:

HOU-TEX
11-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Uncle Ted!!!!!

Ted Nugent's my choice. Love the guy and he's born and raised Detroit.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/96/Ted_Nugent_in_concert.jpg/220px-Ted_Nugent_in_concert.jpg

gg no re
11-08-2011, 12:17 PM
I would endorse a Ted Nugent movement.

toronto
11-08-2011, 12:21 PM
I would endorse a Ted Nugent movement.

God bless the Onion for this Ted Nugent piece...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/new-ted-nugent-cologne-tested-on-every-goddamn-ani,4216/

New Ted Nugent Cologne Tested On ‘Every Goddamn Animal We Could Find’

TimeKiller
11-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Nickelback is weak, over produced and processed music.

And hell yeah, if someone wanted to pay me that much I'd play every damn song of theirs every night.

But since no one is ponying up? **** that. Detroit, indeed, has a full compliment of musical acts that would blow Nickelback out of the lake.

DBCooper
11-08-2011, 12:40 PM
You can't go wrong with the Motor City Madman!

gg no re
11-13-2011, 04:52 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20111110/SPORTS01/111110058/Protest-aside-Nickelback-confirmed-Lions-Thanksgiving-performer

http://i43.tinypic.com/2u7osgm.jpg