PDA

View Full Version : The Texans in Texas

Lurvinator11
11-03-2011, 12:21 PM
I was just kind of thinking about this. Obviously, outside of Houston, the texans get very little love from other cities around texas. So now I have the question, where outside of houston has a strong Texans following? Just for kicks

sakebomb
11-03-2011, 12:24 PM
We bring it up here in the Humble/Kingwood area. :)

gtexan02
11-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Living in Virginia for 5 years, I never met another Texans fan.

Living in Boston for 6 months, I have randomly met another fan in a bar once. It was pretty fun.

Out of Texas fans seem to be pretty scarce

V Man
11-03-2011, 12:34 PM
It is growing in San Antonio (South Dallas to those in the area). See more jerseys being worn, more car decals. It is nice not feeling so alone.

(one a side note to this thread, I sometimes wonder if the team name has hindered the fan base outside the area (that and the not winning))

Big Lou
11-03-2011, 12:39 PM
I've always heard that San Antonio has a lot of fans, those that haven't been corrupted by Jerrah's team.

paycheck71
11-03-2011, 12:45 PM
I do what I can in SLC, but I have never seen another Texans fan outside of Houston.

Kaiser Toro
11-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Been repping the logo around the globe, folks like it. Austin is a Cowboys town, but we have a sizable population of Houston and Nawlins folks.

Win, so we can order off the dessert menu.

Lurvinator11
11-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Been repping the logo around the globe, folks like it. Austin is a Cowboys town, but we have a sizable population of Houston and Nawlins folks.

Win, so we can order off the dessert menu.

Interesting, Ive been in Austin a few times and it always seems like there are alot of texans fans there. Oh well

conundrum
11-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Not from Houston, but my mother is. Grew up watching Hakeem and Warren Moon. Been a fan of Houston sports team forever. I lived in Corpus and now in Austin. Both are dominated by Cowboys people, Austin does have a base of Houston fans though and you see them when on Sundays. I rep my Texans and Rockets gear all the time though. Even got a decals on the car. :cow:

Playoffs
11-03-2011, 01:03 PM
I hear there are some Texans fans in the Galleria area.

drs23
11-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Where's the best place to get Texans decals? I need one for 3 motorcycles and 2 cages.

Need to start representing each time I'm out and about.

Blake
11-03-2011, 01:13 PM
I saw a Texans fan at last Sunday's air show here in San Antonio.

If Texans fans exist in SA, they only wear their colors at home.

HTown2ATX
11-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Interesting, Ive been in Austin a few times and it always seems like there are alot of texans fans there. Oh well

I'm starting to notice more Texans fans here in the ATX, but still mostly Cowfuq fans.

I have met Texans fans in Washington DC and randomly met some Texans in SF at the seal pier that is famous but I don't know that they were Texans fans per say :runaway:

Texas T
11-03-2011, 01:17 PM
There are four of us (two die hards) up here at Joint Base-McGuire Dix Lakehurst. So if you're running around south Jersey you may see one of us!!! We are all from Houston but serving in the AF (one is a wife) and stuck in Philly hell!

We Represent!!

HTown2ATX
11-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Also, all the Austin fans in here...just FYI...the game in a few weeks in Tampa will not be on TV due to Bills at Cowboys on CBS...so....hoping we can all take some bar over...

Check out and join in (trying to get visibility to this)

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86537

Ryan
11-03-2011, 01:43 PM
There's quite a few in Beaumont, but that's definitely close enough to Houston to see often.

thunderkyss
11-03-2011, 01:57 PM
I'm in the Golden Triangle (Port Arthur specifically) we're getting there.

badboy
11-03-2011, 02:02 PM
There are a few of us in Seabrook. 4-5 in my complex but they will not get on Texanstalk so they aren't real fans and I tell em so.

Vinny
11-03-2011, 02:04 PM
I was just kind of thinking about this. Obviously, outside of Houston, the texans get very little love from other cities around texas. So now I have the question, where outside of houston has a strong Texans following? Just for kicks

gotta get to the playoffs to develop stronger ties outside of the Greater Houston area. I think we will see more Texans love in the valley and into the plains once the team is over this mediocre hump they seem to be dry humping every year.

CretorFrigg
11-03-2011, 02:05 PM
There are Texans fan in Jerry land. Don't forget about us!

DX-TEX
11-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Seems the Texans are finally winning over the Houston area. Couple years ago it was hard to even the see the logo in the city they played in. Now Im starting to see it everywhere!

When traveling to Michigan thisn summer we stopped to eat in southern Illinois. Guy in the restaurant saw my Texans hat, looked at me an said "Texans huh? I like that Arian Foster guy." Getting some respect.

2slik4u
11-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Its growing in Austin/Round Rock area but it is still dominated by the Cowboys.

Winning a championship will be the only thing shut them up and start gaining mainstream notariety (sp?)

Bull Butter
11-03-2011, 03:31 PM
It's growing in the Rio Grande Valley. I see more Texans stuff down here all the time. It's definitely Cowboys Country but we're making inroads.

One thing that has been a problem is I feel since Day 1, the organization has done a poor job of marketing the team outside of the Houston area. The Cowboys players, old-timers, Cheerleaders make public apperances down here all the time. You never see that from the Texans. The Astros have a caravan that travels in the offseason to selected cities around the state. Why can't the Texans have something like that?

BIG TORO
11-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Most of Texas is still cowpie land but the Texans are multiplying like Grimlins in a swimming pool!

I know it's happening alot in Port Arthur!

Every time a Cowboy loses his spur a Texan is born.:fingergun:

The Pencil Neck
11-03-2011, 05:43 PM
When we were in Calabasas, CA, we used to go to a Sports Bar to watch the games and there were another couple of Texans fans there.

Unfortunately, that was the 4-12 season. :wadepalm:

I think I've seen 1-2 other Texan fans up here except at planned get-togethers.

Ranger Tom
11-03-2011, 05:50 PM
I've seen Texans gear here in Lubbock, but it's all worn by Tech students.

Showtime100
11-03-2011, 06:01 PM

You just might seen me and some of the other TexansTalk'ers while you were here...lol. I don't know how many times I've been cornered by an angry mob and had to make my stand screaming "I am NOT AN ANIMAL!" :D

When I was in upstate New York I never came across a Texan fan but I got major props from the masses for living in Texas and being a Texan fan, or more accurately, a person living in Texas, but not a Cowboy fan. Due to the Giants and I would assume the Bills too, they HATE the Cowboys in the Syracuse/Rome area.

Funny, when we landed in Syracuse we were getting off the plane and I heard a yell near the cockpit, "How 'bout them Cowboys!" My heart sunk. I just flew 1400 miles for that? Turns out it was the pilot saying that to a passenger wearing a Cowboys shirt. He was the only Cowboys fan I saw the rest of the trip.

Same deal in North Carolina. They just simply hate the Cowboys and loved it that I was a Texan that shared their views.

coon
11-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Living in Austin there are a few. Honestly though i see more Saint's fans than Texan's fans.

Kaiser Toro
11-03-2011, 06:43 PM
You just might seen me and some of the other TexansTalk'ers while you were here...lol. I don't know how many times I've been cornered by an angry mob and had to make my stand screaming "I am NOT AN ANIMAL!" :D

When I was in upstate New York I never came across a Texan fan but I got major props from the masses for living in Texas and being a Texan fan, or more accurately, a person living in Texas, but not a Cowboy fan. Due to the Giants and I would assume the Bills too, they HATE the Cowboys in the Syracuse/Rome area.

Funny, when we landed in Syracuse we were getting off the plane and I heard a yell near the cockpit, "How 'bout them Cowboys!" My heart sunk. I just flew 1400 miles for that? Turns out it was the pilot saying that to a passenger wearing a Cowboys shirt. He was the only Cowboys fan I saw the rest of the trip.

Same deal in North Carolina. They just simply hate the Cowboys and loved it that I was a Texan that shared their views.

I'll be in Albany in two weekends, watching my alma mater play its first basketball games, and then to my buddy's bar who is a cowboys fan. Back in the day (early 90's) we were both cowboys fans.

valleytexfan
11-03-2011, 06:48 PM
It's growing in the Rio Grande Valley. I see more Texans stuff down here all the time. It's definitely Cowboys Country but we're making inroads.

One thing that has been a problem is I feel since Day 1, the organization has done a poor job of marketing the team outside of the Houston area. The Cowboys players, old-timers, Cheerleaders make public apperances down here all the time. You never see that from the Texans. The Astros have a caravan that travels in the offseason to selected cities around the state. Why can't the Texans have something like that?

I concur with this. It's NOWHERE near Cowboy-levels, but there has definitely been progress down here the last couple of years. There's way more shirts and car decals these days compared to 5 years back.
I'll say the Texans are also starting to look down here. They had a group of Texans ambassadors as well as Texans Cheerleaders and Toro come down in April to Brownsville for a camp and Academy in Weslaco. Hope they make the trip down more often.

Osso
11-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Amarillo....pop 250,000

I represent with 6 different jerseys all over town....i would guess there are less than 1000 fans here, its cowboy/bronco country up here

TexanSam
11-03-2011, 08:06 PM
I see some people wearing Texans gear in Austin occassionally. Same for students here at Texas State. Lots of Houston folks come to San Marcos so there's a good amount of Texans fans on campus from what I can tell.

It'll be fun seeing the bandwagon get a lot bigger once we make the playoffs though. Especially if the Cowboys don't.

Showtime100
11-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Amarillo....pop 250,000

I represent with 6 different jerseys all over town....i would guess there are less than 1000 fans here, its cowboy/bronco country up here

You need to hook up with a poster named GP. He a regular and is on quite often and lives in Amarillo (Me? I once lived on Jackson St up there, :)).

Give GP a holler, go to a bar, and raise Texans Hell!

unclejamima
11-03-2011, 08:55 PM
I saw a Texans fan drinking a Pinacolada at midnight, his hair was perfect.

Kaiser Toro
11-03-2011, 08:56 PM
I saw a Texans fan drinking a Pinacolada at midnight, his hair was perfect.

Well done

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-l8iFDp7cJB0/TjbDPUl7k7I/AAAAAAAASak/vF08m0fc4Dw/s400/kubiak.jpg

ADTpaul
11-03-2011, 09:00 PM
I followed Houston sports teams such as the Astros, Rockets, and Texans for 20 years. I recently relocated this summer from Houston to around the Arlington area near the ballpark and Cowboys Stadium. I just started watching the DFW teams such as mavericks at the start of their playoff run and rangers playoffs games en route to their world series. Always will be a Houstonian

Texan_Bill
11-03-2011, 09:19 PM

Chris Brown of Midland.... apparently!!!

ArlingtonTexan
11-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Since I live a 10-12 minute (no traffic) drive from Cowboy Stadium, Jerry World, The Death Star, I think you know abut how much Texans' coverage I get around these parts.

TexCanada
11-03-2011, 11:23 PM
I live in a city of over a million people and I have only ever met one other Texans fan here.

Quick II Draw
11-04-2011, 12:45 AM
I'm from Austin and live in Dallas.

I'm a Texans fan because

I've always hated the Cowboys and everything they stand for
The Texans are a likeable bunch

BlueSteel
11-04-2011, 05:22 AM
Since I live a 10-12 minute (no traffic) drive from Cowboy Stadium, Jerry World, The Death Star, I think you know abut how much Texans' coverage I get around these parts.

I just moved to DFW and other than having to deal with all the fans it has not been too bad although it is easier since it seems like most of their fans hate their team right now. I got my hair cut at sport clips and the chick wouldn't stop talking about how much she hated Romo. :)

TEXANJAK
11-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Been a Texans fan since 2005. Indiana has too much of a Colts fan base. I for one may live in Indiana, But my Heart is deep steel blue, with battle red blood running though it. My liberty white blood cells will defend me against the infectious horseshoe fungi.
I am the only Texan fan up here i have seen.

IDEXAN
11-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Lots of Broncos & some Raiders & 49ers fans in Idaho, but I did see a guy in Vegas @ Harrahs last year wearing a Schaub jersey. However when I talked to him found out he was from Houston. Guess we can't count him can we ?

Dr2bKay
11-04-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm in Nashville and I may be the only Texans fan here...

ArlingtonTexan
11-04-2011, 10:10 AM
I just moved to DFW and other than having to deal with all the fans it has not been too bad although it is easier since it seems like most of their fans hate their team right now. I got my hair cut at sport clips and the chick wouldn't stop talking about how much she hated Romo. :)

When there are Texans games here, there is always a nice showing of Texans fans who I assume are from the area. We have not figured out how to get a good congregation of fans to establish a bar as ours, but really we are around in decent amount, just no more coverage in the area than any other generic NFL team.

Cowboy fans have a real love/hate with Romo. It is pretty funny.

DocBar
11-04-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm working about 45 min. from Pittsburgh and a couple of hours from Cleveland and I had to bring back 3 Texans hats for guys I work with. I'll be working in Indiana on Monday, but I doubt they'll be as receptive to the idea.

hookinreds
11-04-2011, 04:25 PM

I've seen a lot more Texans hats around town this year. And when I do (and not wearing my own Texan gear) I go out of my way to say nice hat/shirt Go TEXANS....etc.

Winning does wonders.

Double Barrel
11-04-2011, 04:36 PM
gotta get to the playoffs to develop stronger ties outside of the Greater Houston area. I think we will see more Texans love in the valley and into the plains once the team is over this mediocre hump they seem to be dry humping every year.

QFT

Without a geographic tie to the team, most folks require winning to be something they want to associate with in order to justify jumping on the bandwagon.

Historically, the Cowboys have provided that, and understandable why they have generations of fans in Texas now.

rush2112mn
11-05-2011, 08:14 AM

You start going to the playoffs..you will get more fans...

midgetonadonkey
11-05-2011, 08:48 AM
I saw a Texans fan at last Sunday's air show here in San Antonio.

If Texans fans exist in SA, they only wear their colors at home.

Agreed. I hardly see any Texans fan around the city. There are quite a few on the UTSA campus but everywhere else is dominated by the horrible gray and blue colors.

hradhak
11-05-2011, 10:47 PM
When I lived in El Paso there were more Steelers fans than there were Texans fans. Cowboys was by far the dominant team.

I don't think anyone actively roots against the Texans in Texas, it's just that the team has been on no one's radar. Marginal fans jump on the bandwagon when a team starts to win (and jump off when they start to lose). We'll get the fans, we just need to put together a few winning seasons.

ObsiWan
11-06-2011, 05:14 AM
I'm in Nashville and I may be the only Texans fan here...

You probably are.
I know. That's my home town. Went to Tenn. State. They're pretty much Titan-crazy up there.
You visiting or what?

BetaV1
11-06-2011, 11:03 AM
I know this topic is supposed to deal with Texan fans in Texas, but I'd like to share regardless. Being in New Orleans, I never met another die-hard Texan fan. Funny story though: I was working and I saw this guy coming passed me who was decked out in Texan gear. He was wearing t-shirt with the Houston Texans logo on it, Texans shorts, a Texans cap, wristbands, the whole shebang. Naturally I got excited to finally see a big Texans fan in my area, so I immediately asked him, "Texan fan, eh? Awesome." He laughed and replied, "Sort've. I used to play for them."

I didn't recognize him. I asked him for his name but he just laughed. He was on the phone and I wasn't going to bother him. Could never figure out who he was though.

Anyhoo, as far as casual Texans fans go out of state, the sad truth is that most don't even know the team exist. When people ask me what my favorite team is and I tell them the Texans, their next question is usually "You mean the Cowboys?"

TexanPulse
11-06-2011, 01:14 PM
I've lived in every continental time zone and have rarely seen another Texan fan. I guy a worked with from Cali was a random big fan. Now that I live in San Diego, I have met two...a husband/wife combo at a Longhorn watch party.

The funny thing in SoCal is everybody has a different team, so you'll see every jersey around all sprinkled with some Chargers crap. It really is the perfect place to root for another team because everyone gets some respect.

I get the routine, "they have a good team" & "I really like their team" stuff, nobody hates us like the pats here.

I will never convert from Houston sports.

Ranger Tom
11-06-2011, 01:27 PM
You start going to the playoffs..you will get more fans...

Quote for truth.

thunderkyss
11-07-2011, 07:17 AM
I don't know about fans, but I've already been approached by several new "casual observers" today.

They're even using the word "we" when talking about that team.

"We sure made it tough on Colt McCoy."

"We've got one hell of a defense"

"Our back-up running back would be starting on most other teams"

etc... etc.. etc...

:texan:

keyser
11-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Here in Bryan/College-Station, there are a fair number of Texans fans. I see people fairly regularly around town (and at A&M) with Texans gear on.

I think there are more Cowboys fans here, though it's not an overwhelmingly larger number. There's a Cowboys store in the mall (by the way, do the Texans even have such stores, and are any of them outside of Houston?). We are positioned just right, so that the CBS affiliate considers the Texans the "home" team, and the Fox affiliate considers the Cowboys the "home" team. We get the preseason commentary/games for both the Texans and the Cowboys. They get fairly even coverage in the newspaper, also (though if anything, the Cowboys get a little more).