View Full Version : Re-Drafting the 2008 NFL Draft

srrono
11-03-2011, 03:20 AM
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/11/03/re-drafting-the-2008-nfl-draft/

thunderkyss
11-03-2011, 06:16 AM
Good find.

26. Duane Brown, OT, Houston Texans

Key Stat: Was our lowest-ranked left tackle in our Pass Blocking Efficiency ranking as a rookie. Was 11th last year as the developmental left tackle project has actually developed.

Notes: Brown was so bad as a rookie you almost wanted to write him off straight away. But the Texans were wiser than that and bit by bit he got better and better. Now? He’s not, nor ever likely to be, an upper echelon left tackle, but in this age of sub-standard tackle play, having an above average guy like Brown is valuable.

Re-Draft: Duane Brown has developed into an above average left tackle, exactly the project he was meant to be. A good-but-not-great player.

Grade: B

That sounds about right to me. Doesn't mention how well he does in the running game, which might make the grade a B+ or an A-

b0ng
11-03-2011, 09:06 AM
"No you see it was a bad draft pick because we could've gotten him in 3rd round"

--YoungTexansFan

IDEXAN
11-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Many felt that Brown was a "reach" as this publication apparently also does
as a late first-rounder, but I think they fail to recognize the rapidly growing "positional value" of the LT position, plus Browns superior athleticism which did and does make him a perfect fit for the Texans' ZBS.
So I think the analysis here is too simplistic and frankly inaccurate - I give the Texans a minimum grade of "A-" for their pick of Duane Brown.

srrono
11-03-2011, 10:22 AM
1. Jake Long, OT, Miami Dolphins A

12. Ryan Clady, LT, Denver Broncos A

14. Chris Williams, OT, Chicago Bears F

15. Branden Albert, OT, Kansas City Chiefs C

17. Gosder Cherilus, OT, Detroit Lions C

19. Jeff Otah, OT, Carolina Panthers C-

21. Sam Baker, OT, Atlanta Falcons D-

26. Duane Brown, OT, Houston Texans B

Only 2 OT rated better than Brown

dc_txtech
11-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Watching D. Brown get down field on a screen play is downright nasty. This article seems to only care about pass protection which I would agree he is above average not elite. As a complete football player though, Brown was an absolute steal where we got him.

Dutchrudder
11-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Not much of a re-draft, more of an evaluation. Re-drafts fill in the spots with who the team should have picked.

bah007
11-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Critics can say what they want, but if a guy works out for you he wasn't a "reach". Even if they thought so at the time of the pick.

welsh texan
11-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Not much of a re-draft, more of an evaluation. Re-drafts fill in the spots with who the team should have picked.

This was a re-draft, it just so happens that they agree with the pick and wouldn't have taken anyone still on their board above Brown at that point. And thats quite a positive, MIA don't even take Jake Long at #1 in their re-draft, opting instead for Matt Ryan.

I think there were only around 2/3 in the whole draft that stayed as the same pick in their re-draft, granted a few of them were due to the player taken in reality already being off the board.

Dutchrudder
11-03-2011, 12:58 PM
This was a re-draft, it just so happens that they agree with the pick and wouldn't have taken anyone still on their board above Brown at that point. And thats quite a positive, MIA don't even take Jake Long at #1 in their re-draft, opting instead for Matt Ryan.

I think there were only around 2/3 in the whole draft that stayed as the same pick in their re-draft, granted a few of them were due to the player taken in reality already being off the board.

Article:
6. Vernon Gholston, DE, New York Jets

Key Stat: Managed 629 snaps as a Jet before they decided it just wasnít worth it anymore.

Notes: When you look back at this draft class, for all the successes, this pick will stand out. A workout warrior, Gholston looked like Tarzan and played like Jane. Ended his career with just two quarterback hits and no sacks. You can safely use the bust word here. In fact, itís encouraged.

Re-Draft: The Jets got over 1300 yards from Thomas Jones in 2008, so imagine what they could have done with a fresh and useful running back. Pick up Chris Johnson and pair him with Leon Washington and youíre giving defensive coordinators fits.

Grade: F

Nobody in their right mind would say Vernon Gholston should be drafted at this point. They are grading the original draft pick and then suggesting who they should have taken instead. A re-draft does the opposite by inserting the guy they should have taken and may or may not include discussion on the original pick.

Ole Miss Texan
11-03-2011, 01:02 PM
I think Duane Brown has proven himself to be an excellent selection. Not to mention we traded down and got him.

thunderkyss
11-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Watching D. Brown get down field on a screen play is downright nasty. This article seems to only care about pass protection which I would agree he is above average not elite. As a complete football player though, Brown was an absolute steal where we got him.

I don't know if I would go that far. He was definitely not a game 1 ready player. It took him a couple of years (I think) to get to high 1st round pick caliber.

For what he was when we got him, I think it was about right for his position.

Vinny
11-03-2011, 03:01 PM
its a little bit of a stretch to say he was awful his rookie year. He had his bad moments but he played pretty well for the most part.

Porky
11-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Ya I agree with Vinny. Worst LT in the NFL as a rookie? I guess they are saying worst pass blocker, but I doubt that seriosuely. Granted, I don't have tape of all 32 tackles but he showed good athletism as a rookie. Was he inconsistent? Sure, but he looked like he would pan out as an average to above avg left tackle. This year, he is ballin. He has terrific speed and athletism and is excellent in the run game and I love him on screens and so forth to the left side. He is out at the second level constantly. Still a little inconsistent as a pass blocker but he has more than held his own against some of the best this year such as Freeney.

He is at least borderline pro-bowler material this year. He is as good as or better than advertised.

welsh texan
11-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Article:

Nobody in their right mind would say Vernon Gholston should be drafted at this point. They are grading the original draft pick and then suggesting who they should have taken instead. A re-draft does the opposite by inserting the guy they should have taken and may or may not include discussion on the original pick.

Errr? In the re-draft they pick Chris Johnson, they are saying that Vernon Gholston WAS the pick, and graded that as an F, and saying Chris Johnson should have been picked at this spot instead?

I don't get what the problem is? You'd like them to say they should have taken Chris Johnson but actually took Vernon Gholston (the opposite way round) and suddenly the article would be legit to you??? Crazy.

TexanSam
11-03-2011, 09:16 PM
its a little bit of a stretch to say he was awful his rookie year. He had his bad moments but he played pretty well for the most part.

That's what I think. And after having to suffer through the likes of Victor Riley and Seth Wand (I still shudder at the thought of those two), having an okay Duane Brown as a rook was awesome. Hell, compared to those two Brown was a pro-bowler his rookie season.