PDA

View Full Version : Early thoughts on the Browns game

Texn4life
11-01-2011, 01:54 AM
I'm hoping we can put the fan actions aside and start back talking football again. This Browns game is setting up pretty nice for us to handle our business in a dominant way if we approach the game like we should. Their backfield is banged up and they're ranked close to the bottom in their run defense. Even if Hillis is able to play it's likely he won't be close to being at full strength, so it looks like we're gonna be facing our old friend Chris Ogbannaya. Any early thoughts from anyone heading into the game?

thunderkyss
11-01-2011, 08:13 AM
I think it's going to be another ugly game.

Their run defense doesn't look too formidable, Cj2.9 was able to rush for 101 yards. Gore was able to run over them for 134 yards. But DMC failed to reach 100 yards (91 yards).

It would be nice if we can get Tate & Foster off to another 200 yard rushing attack. Hopefully that will help Matt return at least to the form he showed during the Titans game.

Colt McCoy is pretty mobile, & while we're pretty good at chasing QBs, he's not half bad at making plays on the run. None of their receivers appear "dangerous" but with Colts ability to adlib, they could pose a problem.

But Cleveland has problems scoring points. They are 28th in the league with 15 ppg.

Thorn
11-01-2011, 08:24 AM
The Brownies are not as bad as some think. The Texans should win this game, but I wouldn't look past the Brownies to spoil our fun.

AJ should be coming back soon which will help a lot, but any more injuries and our defense is starting to look like an episode of The Walking Dead.

TEXANS84
11-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Colt McCoy is pretty mobile, & while we're pretty good at chasing QBs, he's not half bad at making plays on the run.

I can see it now...

Colt McCoy will end up scoring the game winning touchdown in overtime while running from the 40 yard line and all the UT fans will say "shoulda drafted Colt!".

Texn4life
11-01-2011, 08:30 AM
I think it's going to be another ugly game.

Their run defense doesn't look too formidable, Cj2.9 was able to rush for 101 yards. Gore was able to run over them for 134 yards. But DMC failed to reach 100 yards (91 yards).

It would be nice if we can get Tate & Foster off to another 200 yard rushing attack. Hopefully that will help Matt return at least to the form he showed during the Titans game.

Colt McCoy is pretty mobile, & while we're pretty good at chasing QBs, he's not half bad at making plays on the run. None of their receivers appear "dangerous" but with Colts ability to adlib, they could pose a problem.

But Cleveland has problems scoring points. They are 28th in the league with 15 ppg.

Running the ball I think will be key from here on out. I'd like to see better balance though from our running game. 33 carries from Foster and 5 for Tate isn't the best of strategies long term in my opinion. I think rotating them more will make them both better.

The Brownies are not as bad as some think. The Texans should win this game, but I wouldn't look past the Brownies to spoil our fun.

AJ should be coming back soon which will help a lot, but any more injuries and our defense is starting to look like an episode of The Walking Dead.

I agree with you that we've been hit pretty hard as far as major contributors go on our defense. How nice is it though to actually have quality depth now that those injuries aren't so glaring? In year's past that wasn't the case at all.

Texn4life
11-01-2011, 08:31 AM
I can see it now...

Colt McCoy will end up scoring the game winning touchdown in overtime while running from the 40 yard line and all the UT fans will say "shoulda drafted Colt!".

I still remember having so many mixed emotions from that game. I didn't know whether to cheer or to cry.

Texanmike02
11-01-2011, 08:53 AM
I still remember having so many mixed emotions from that game. I didn't know whether to cheer or to cry.

Seriously? Wow. There is no way you should have cheered. This is not college. Cry? CRY? That is an instant man card pull unless it is the AFC conference championship game or deeper. Wow dude... your only two choices were to cheer or cry? You should look into the wave your hand in disgust as you turn away from the television move.

Neg rep your way, sausagefest fan boy.

Mike

Texn4life
11-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Seriously? Wow. There is no way you should have cheered. This is not college. Cry? CRY? That is an instant man card pull unless it is the AFC conference championship game or deeper. Wow dude... your only two choices were to cheer or cry? You should look into the wave your hand in disgust as you turn away from the television move.

Neg rep your way, sausagefest fan boy.

Mike

It was a joke dope! Chill out!!!! Wal-Mart has those extra sensitive tampons if you need them.

And the negative rep thing is supposed to scare me somehow? Wow dude! Just Wow!

Kthx
11-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Browns are a good up and coming team but I don't think their Oline is going to hold agaisnt our Dline, I don't think McCoy (Keenam's better go Cougs) is going to have very much time to let go of the ball, and I think well end up picking the guy off several times. Hillis and Hardesty are out so that means we can pay even more attention to the passing game. Really what I want to see out of this game is Schaub making good use of his time in the pocket and completing a solid, error free game again.

BigBull17
11-01-2011, 09:10 AM
I think the Browns struggle. A lot. No MJD, Colt can't really stretch the field, and no real weapon outside of Cribbs. I'd just not punt. And onsides kick.

Texn4life
11-01-2011, 09:14 AM
I think the Browns struggle. A lot. No MJD, Colt can't really stretch the field, and no real weapon outside of Cribbs. I'd just not punt. And onsides kick.

Yeah, Cribbs is the only player on their team that scares me. I don't see any way they're able to consistently run the ball against us, so as long as we're successful on early downs like we have been the past couple of games then I think we'll be great.

IDEXAN
11-01-2011, 09:21 AM
I don't know, but my impression was that the Browns were comparable to the Jags in that they had a solid defense, especially vs the run ? But I think I'm hearing here that that's not the case at all ? What are the strengths of the Cleveland team ?

El Tejano
11-01-2011, 09:22 AM
If I were Kubiak, I'd post the score of the New Orleans Saints vs. St. Louis Rams game this past Sunday in the team meetings and then say "And you lost to the Saints" and walk out the room. Plain and simple.

Texn4life
11-01-2011, 09:26 AM
I don't know, but my impression was that the Browns were comparable to the Jags in that they had a solid defense, especially vs the run ? But I think I'm hearing here that that's not the case at all ? What are the strengths of the Cleveland team ?

Coming into the season it was their running game, but that's not the case anymore. They only true strength they have is that they don't give up a ton of big plays on defense, and they don't turn the ball over a lot so it keeps them in most games.

Texanmike02
11-01-2011, 09:49 AM
It was a joke dope! Chill out!!!! Wal-Mart has those extra sensitive tampons if you need them.

And the negative rep thing is supposed to scare me somehow? Wow dude! Just Wow!

Slow your flow man. It was a joke, as evidenced by the fact that I didn't actually neg rep you. I'll pick you up some pads next time I'm at Wal-Mart. PM me your addy and I'll mail them to ya.

:ahhaha:

Mike

Texn4life
11-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Slow your flow man. It was a joke, as evidenced by the fact that I didn't actually neg rep you. I'll pick you up some pads next time I'm at Wal-Mart. PM me your addy and I'll mail them to ya.

:ahhaha:

Mike

Sounds like a plan...... You can never have too many of those.

Thorn
11-01-2011, 10:51 AM
So, are you two dating now? Get your own forum before I neg rep everyone in here. Including myself for wasting perfectly good electrons in this post.

Can you neg rep yourself? Even if you could, it somehow sounds nasty.

Texn4life
11-01-2011, 10:55 AM
So, are you two dating now? Get your own forum before I neg rep everyone in here. Including myself for wasting perfectly good electrons in this post.

I'm in a weird place in my life right now so I'm currently unavailable....... Its not him, its me. :ahhaha:

Back to the Brownies now!

Thorn
11-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Back to the Brownies now!

I'm remember some excellent brownies back in the 70's. :)

TejasTom
11-01-2011, 11:06 AM

I was cussing and I couldn't believe people in Texan's jerseys were cheering.

Texn4life
11-01-2011, 11:11 AM
I was cussing and I couldn't believe people in Texan's jerseys were cheering.

I was pretty pissed too...... At the time it was pretty typical that of course the hometown hero would come into Houston and have a walk off win from 40 yards out. That kind of stuff seems to always happen to us.

I've known Vince for a long time even before he started high school so I was happy to see him succeed, but hated it at the expense of the Texans. Its a few other friends of mine still playing that I talk trash to whenever they play us. My loyalty will always lie with Houston teams.

BullNation4Life
11-01-2011, 11:14 AM
I can see it now...

Then Al Michaels will scream " What was Houston thinking!" after Colt scrambles for a 4 yard gain.

note: This is what Al Michaels said on Sunday Night game about Reggie Bush when Bush cut back for like a 4-5 yard gain...

Texanmike02
11-01-2011, 11:56 AM

At least this didn't turn into For Mussop. Just sayin'

Mike

texdawg
11-01-2011, 12:45 PM
I'm a diehard Browns fan who will be at the game this Sunday totally expecting the Browns to score about 9 points at best while giving up about 45. This Browns team is lacking an offense, a defense, cheerleaders, and special teams. Worst team I've seen them put on the field in years. Do not buy into any stats from earlier games. This team is horrid, period.

We barely beat the Colts, beat the Dolphins on a hail mary, and won the worst game ever shown on TV 6-3 over Seattle, a game we should have lost due to a phantom holding call on a return for a TD.

You guys will not even need to throw a pass.

Just so you all know, I have been coming to this site for years and the Texans are my second favorite team. I always root for you guys--just not this week.

I promised my son I'd take him to a Texans game---this is the one I picked---yikes!

False Start
11-01-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm remember some excellent brownies back in the 70's. :)

I had some just a few days ago. :D

I think the Texans should handle the Browns no problem. I'm thinking Arian has a big day, and the D steps it up once again. No worries.

TheMatrix31
11-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Chris Ogbonnaya will be the starting RB.

They'll be throwing all day.

Blitz the living shit out of Colt.

srrono
11-01-2011, 01:41 PM
NickScurfield Nick Scurfield
Worth noting: The Texans are +44 in the 1st quarter this season, outscoring opponents 57-13. The Browns are -41 (44-3)

TexanSam
11-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Worth noting: The Texans are +44 in the 1st quarter this season, outscoring opponents 57-13. The Browns are -41 (44-3)

-41?! Wow. Hopefully we start off strong. They also have a bad run defense so Foster and Tate could have big games again.

nero THE zero
11-01-2011, 01:49 PM
This game is a good candidate for besting our margin of victory record we set against Tennessee two weeks ago.

CLE 3
HOU 49

b0ng
11-01-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm a diehard Browns fan who will be at the game this Sunday totally expecting the Browns to score about 9 points at best while giving up about 45. This Browns team is lacking an offense, a defense, cheerleaders, and special teams. Worst team I've seen them put on the field in years. Do not buy into any stats from earlier games. This team is horrid, period.

We barely beat the Colts, beat the Dolphins on a hail mary, and won the worst game ever shown on TV 6-3 over Seattle, a game we should have lost due to a phantom holding call on a return for a TD.

You guys will not even need to throw a pass.

Just so you all know, I have been coming to this site for years and the Texans are my second favorite team. I always root for you guys--just not this week.

I promised my son I'd take him to a Texans game---this is the one I picked---yikes!

There's only city in the NFL that I can honestly say has had their fans done worse than Houston fans over the years. . . and that's Cleveland. That being said, I remember you guys beating us during that fluke Derek Anderson half year.

I hope this game is more exciting than that 16-6 atrocity in 2008.

noxiousdog
11-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Chris Ogbonnaya will be the starting RB.

They'll be throwing all day.

Blitz the living shit out of Colt.

I was totally thinking that Cushing should come after Colt every single play. Sort of a spy but not hang around the line of scrimmage.

Norg
11-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Due to alot of Key injuries on our hole team

Houston gots like 11 players on IR

the browns have like 4

Every win from here on out will be a Dirty win IMO

infantrycak
11-01-2011, 03:00 PM

the browns have like 4

Houston has 8 (will be 9 when Sharpton is announced officially) players on IR, only one of them (Mario) a starter.

TheMatrix31
11-01-2011, 04:18 PM

the browns have like 4

Hate to be a stickler, but is there a reason you don't type properly?

michaelm
11-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Hate to be a stickler, but is there a reason you don't type properly?

In back to back threads, you've railed against people using the term "haters", and criticized someone's typing.
Do you just feel superior to the peasantry, or did you miss your afternoon coffee???

Blake
11-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Early thoughts on the Browns game

What should I make for gameday food... hmmmm. Leaning with my own version of the chopped baker.

Runner
11-01-2011, 04:44 PM
My main thought is that the Texans need to go out and aggressively take the victory. The team doesn't need to think the schedule will do their work for them.

TEXANS84
11-01-2011, 04:55 PM

TRAP! :kubepalm:

Texan_Bill
11-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Early thoughts?

One. I hope we beat the Browns 100-0 so I don't have to read copius amounts of the same threads on the same subject and are just titled differently.

:gun:

TheMatrix31
11-01-2011, 05:06 PM
In back to back threads, you've railed against people using the term "haters", and criticized someone's typing.
Do you just feel superior to the peasantry, or did you miss your afternoon coffee???

I don't like stupidity, what can I say? Those are things that prevent people being taken seriously in discussions. If someone can't articulate points correctly, why should I care what they have to say about anything? It's tough to read.

NitroGSXR
11-01-2011, 05:08 PM
My main thought is that the Texans need to go out and aggressively take the victory. The team doesn't need to think the schedule will do their work for them.

I don't care if the score is 10-7, 55-0, or 45-44. Just as long as we win. "W" is the only stat that matters.

Texan_Bill
11-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Houston has 8 (will be 9 when Sharpton is announced officially) players on IR, only one of them (Mario) a starter.

So basically what you're saying is that we're on par for yet another season with 17? That's awesome. I think I found one area that the Texans are fairly consistent in.

The Pencil Neck
11-01-2011, 05:16 PM
This game is like every other game we play... it worries me.

We should destroy this team. And that worries me.

If anything, the Browns are like the Jags but less. And that worries me.

If we win this game, we'll be 6-3... 3 games over 500 for the first time EVAR. That worries me.

This game has trap game written all over it. This is one of those games, like the Saints vs. the Rams, where the stronger team has to be careful to stay focused and take the team seriously.

We've got one of our 3 "tough" games coming up after this game and honestly, I don't even expect that game to be that tough. Honestly, I don't see another team on our schedule that should beat us. The toughest teams are the Buccs, the Falcons, and the Bengals and those teams are not the Saints, the Steelers, and the Ravens.

mridge01
11-01-2011, 05:20 PM
I don't care if the score is 10-7, 55-0, or 45-44. Just as long as we win. "W" is the only stat that matters.

Agreed. Don't care if it's 7-6, or 6-3, or 3-0, a win is a win. Some were venting that the Texans should have won by more against the Jags. The Jags have a really good defense and a double digit win in the NFL is a solid W. The Texans were in control for a good portion of that game.

I've stopped trying to predict what this team will do from week to week because you never know, but I expect this game will be very similar to the Jags game as the Browns do play a little defense. If Andre is back, the Texans should be able to take care of business.

Porky
11-01-2011, 05:21 PM
What should I make for gameday food... hmmmm. Leaning with my own version of the chopped baker.

For some reason that sounds really good. Yummy.

Oh and got to make Brownies for dessert! :bravo:

As for the game, the only way we lose is being very careless again with the ball and giving up a return or two to Cribbs.

I think it could be a blowout if we don't have those issues...but I'll say Texans 24 - 13.

mridge01
11-01-2011, 05:21 PM
This game is like every other game we play... it worries me.

We should destroy this team. And that worries me.

If anything, the Browns are like the Jags but less. And that worries me.

If we win this game, we'll be 6-3... 3 games over 500 for the first time EVAR. That worries me.

This game has trap game written all over it. This is one of those games, like the Saints vs. the Rams, where the stronger team has to be careful to stay focused and take the team seriously.

We've got one of our 3 "tough" games coming up after this game and honestly, I don't even expect that game to be that tough. Honestly, I don't see another team on our schedule that should beat us. The toughest teams are the Buccs, the Falcons, and the Bengals and those teams are not the Saints, the Steelers, and the Ravens.

This post pretty much sums up all Texans fans feelings. Excellent work.

kiwitexansfan
11-01-2011, 05:36 PM
As I have felt all season, we will beat the teams we are better than and right now we are more talented and playing better than Cleveland, so I am pencilling the W.

CloakNNNdagger
11-01-2011, 06:12 PM
From Espn;

Browns' offense: Cleveland has produced one touchdown and three 50-plus-yard field goals over the past two games. That's 13 points scored despite possessing the ball for 70 minutes. Injuries have hit every position on offense this season and knocked out the Browns' top two running backs the past couple of weeks. It's been equally painful to watch the Browns' offense getting held to 17 points or fewer in six of seven games this season.

TheMatrix31
11-01-2011, 06:14 PM
That is gross.

CloakNNNdagger
11-01-2011, 06:38 PM
From Espn;

There is a misreporting by ESPN. The numbers didn't add up 7+3+3+3 does not + 13. It should read:

Browns' offense: Cleveland has produced one touchdown and TWO 50-plus-yard field goals over the past two games. That's 13 points scored despite possessing the ball for 70 minutes. Injuries have hit every position on offense this season and knocked out the Browns' top two running backs the past couple of weeks. It's been equally painful to watch the Browns' offense getting held to 17 points or fewer in six of seven games this season.

axman40
11-01-2011, 08:26 PM
The Browns can BORE you into defeat!
:kitten:

CloakNNNdagger
11-02-2011, 02:04 PM
The Browns reported that Peyton Hillis ran on the sidelines, but still did not practice. The Browns have called an emergency open tryout for RBs. Hillis evidently is carrying not only the Madden Curse but the Browns Curse on his back.

Vinny
11-02-2011, 02:26 PM
The Good (for us) - Browns scored 17 pts or less in 5 straight gms & 11 of last 12 gms dating back to 2010, outscored 44-3 in 1st qtr this season - per Russell S. Baxter at NationalFootballAuthority.com, SportsReviewMagazine.com, NFL.com, ThePostGame.com

More good...and a little bad - NFL defensive rankings: 1. Baltimore, 2. Pittsburgh, 3. Houston, 4. Cincinnati, 5. Browns. (That's the entire old school AFC Central)

DX-TEX
11-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Gameplan is simple: run the ball, run it again, run it some more and then BAM play action!
\
Of course Gary will be cute and say to himself "They think we are going to run so throw it deep!!"

BrwnsTown
11-02-2011, 02:36 PM

We are that bad and worse.
Take away garbage time stats and this offense is worse than non existent.
The right side of the O line pathetic at best. No running game what so ever.
No passing game, special teams gives up to many big plays.

Defense can not stop the run still going on 12 season now. Joe Haden is the real deal at corner, but with A.J's size it wont matter.
The rest of the secondary is weak. Our MLB is pretty good, and the D line can get pressure and do ok with the run inside, but we don't have the OLB's to stop rb's from getting to the corner and turning it up field.
And the DE's worry more about getting to the QB and miss the RB going right by them...

To be honest, Houston should and could have this game put away by half time, and could rest key players in the second half and still run away with this game....

Just another year of rebuilding in Cleveland.
Which is why I proposed a new mantra in Cleveland.
get rid of the old "Wait till next year" saying and bring in:
"Wait till the next Rebuild"....

Good luck, not that you will need it...

Vinny
11-02-2011, 02:40 PM
We are that bad and worse.
Take away garbage time stats and this offense is worse than non existent.
The right side of the O line pathetic at best. No running game what so ever.
No passing game, special teams gives up to many big plays.

Defense can not stop the run still going on 12 season now. Joe Haden is the real deal at corner, but with A.J's size it wont matter.
The rest of the secondary is weak. Our MLB is pretty good, and the D line can get pressure and do ok with the run inside, but we don't have the OLB's to stop rb's from getting to the corner and turning it up field.
And the DE's worry more about getting to the QB and miss the RB going right by them...

To be honest, Houston should and could have this game put away by half time, and could rest key players in the second half and still run away with this game....

Just another year of rebuilding in Cleveland.
Which is why I proposed a new mantra in Cleveland.
get rid of the old "Wait till next year" saying and bring in:
"Wait till the next Rebuild"....

Good luck, not that you will need it...I read you guys may have a RT change....Today Artis Hicks took first team reps at RT in place of starter Tony Pashos (who is struggling).

BrwnsTown
11-02-2011, 02:48 PM
I read you guys may have a RT change....Artis Hicks took first team reps at RT in place of starter Tony Pashos (who is struggling).

It doesn't matter, we have had Hicks and Cousins etc. all rotating in and out of the right side with pasho's and Lauvao and it looks the same with new names.

Looks like $h1t.

Then add in to the mix McCoy being 6' with heels on and making no reads what so ever to a pathetic O line, and WR's who cant get separation and you should rack up about 5+ sacks, especially after we fall behind and have to throw.

Basically are passing game is 7yds and less... We even manage to throw -7 yd passes... So just cheat on up, I wouldn't be surprised to see a pick 6 this week...

Even with a healthy Hillis we cant run the ball, this team was built to run behind a FB, and we don't do that. Single back sets with no passing game really makes running a WCO pointless.

Vinny
11-02-2011, 02:54 PM
It doesn't matter, we have had Hicks and Cousins etc. all rotating in and out of the right side with pasho's and Lauvao and it looks the same with new names.

Looks like $h1t.

Then add in to the mix McCoy being 6' with heels on and making no reads what so ever to a pathetic O line, and WR's who cant get separation and you should rack up about 5+ sacks, especially after we fall behind and have to throw.

Basically are passing game is 7yds and less... We even manage to throw -7 yd passes... So just cheat on up, I wouldn't be surprised to see a pick 6 this week...

Even with a healthy Hillis we cant run the ball, this team was built to run behind a FB, and we don't do that. Single back sets with no passing game really makes running a WCO pointless.man, it's painful reading your posts and I can appreciate your feeling of hopelessness in your team. Perhaps start watching AMC's The Walking Dead (http://www.amctv.com/shows/the-walking-dead) so you can get your hopes up a bit....you know, a pickmeuper.

BrwnsTown
11-02-2011, 03:01 PM
man, it's painful reading your posts and I can appreciate your feeling of hopelessness in your team. Perhaps start watching AMC's The Walking Dead (http://www.amctv.com/shows/the-walking-dead) so you can get your hopes up a bit....you know, a pickmeuper.

You wanna see painful just watch the game sunday and pretend you're a Browns fan for a half.....

And I love the walking dead...

The Pencil Neck
11-02-2011, 06:51 PM
You wanna see painful just watch the game sunday and pretend you're a Browns fan for a half.....

Listen, man, we've been there. We know your pain.

The biggest thing in your favor is that this team has never been 6-3. Ever. Last season we found some amazing ways to give up games.

With all due respect, I'm just praying that we crush you guys and use that to catapult us into a winning streak that takes us to the Super Bowl.

Texn4life
11-02-2011, 06:59 PM

Wow, it must be tough to feel like you guys regressed after the promise your team showed last year. Are people in Cleveland starting to question the move of replacing Mangini? It looked to me like he was on the right track of building a tough, physical team there. I know Holmgren wanted his guy in there, but what do fans think of the direction of the team?

triplethreat
11-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Wow, it must be tough to feel like you guys regressed after the promise your team showed last year. Are people in Cleveland starting to question the move of replacing Mangini? It looked to me like he was on the right track of building a tough, physical team there. I know Holmgren wanted his guy in there, but what do fans think of the direction of the team?

We're clearly heading in the right direction. We have young pieces and talent, we just need to add more. Whether that be through the Draft (likely) or Free Agency (Probably just depth). This team was severely hurt by the lock-out. We had to install 2 new systems in the WCO, and the 4-3 on defense. It's clearly going to take time. We are going to have to add a better QB outside of McCoy, beef up the O-Line some more, add a #1 receiver, OLB, another Defensive pass rusher, a second CB, and a FS. ALL HUGE NEEDS. But in 2-3 years we're going to be a very competitive team, in one of the best divisions in football. The Bengals even scare me now..

Texn4life
11-02-2011, 08:26 PM
We're clearly heading in the right direction. We have young pieces and talent, we just need to add more. Whether that be through the Draft (likely) or Free Agency (Probably just depth). This team was severely hurt by the lock-out. We had to install 2 new systems in the WCO, and the 4-3 on defense. It's clearly going to take time. We are going to have to add a better QB outside of McCoy, beef up the O-Line some more, add a #1 receiver, OLB, another Defensive pass rusher, a second CB, and a FS. ALL HUGE NEEDS. But in 2-3 years we're going to be a very competitive team, in one of the best divisions in football. The Bengals even scare me now..

Yeah, that sounds like a lot of work there that needs to be done. And you're right that the AFC North is going to be a beast for the next few years. I see you didn't mention running back as a need though. I would have thought you guys might address that too in the off-season. Hillis might have been better off turning down that Madden cover.

Texan_Bill
11-02-2011, 08:35 PM
You know how cities have "sister" cities abroad? For example sister cities to Houston are for an example: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates; Luanda, Angola; Karachi, Pakistan; Chiba, Japan, etc., etc.. I think in some regards Cleveland has to be a sister city here in the U.S. We share a feeling of futility in our football teams. FML!

Although, and that said, at least the Browns have made the playoffs. The Texans? Not so much!

triplethreat
11-02-2011, 08:40 PM
You know how cities have "sister" cities abroad? For example sister cities to Houston are for an example: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates; Luanda, Angola; Karachi, Pakistan; Chiba, Japan, etc., etc.. I think in some regards Cleveland has to be a sister city here in the U.S. We share a feeling of futility in our football teams. FML!

Although, and that said, at least the Browns have made the playoffs. The Texans? Not so much!

Since coming back we've only made it once! The Oilers have been there.

We honestly should have a SB.. But that douche bag Art Modell screwed us. Ravens are my most hated team in football no doubt! :overreact:

triplethreat
11-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Yeah, that sounds like a lot of work there that needs to be done. And you're right that the AFC North is going to be a beast for the next few years. I see you didn't mention running back as a need though. I would have thought you guys might address that too in the off-season. Hillis might have been better off turning down that Madden cover.

Hillis's agent is all in his head. Once we see the deal Matt Forte gets with the Bears it'll be a lot easier with Hillis, because he isn't a top 8 back in the league, and he doesn't deserve that kind of money. All in all in the end I think we'll get a deal done with him.

ThaJokaa
11-02-2011, 09:04 PM
we shall win

Vinny
11-02-2011, 09:11 PM
I gotta ask you guys to stop with the video siggys...hang a link in your sig or something.

CloakNNNdagger
11-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Peyton Hillis again did not practice at all.

DocBar
11-02-2011, 09:20 PM
This game is a good candidate for besting our margin of victory record we set against Tennessee two weeks ago.

CLE 3
HOU 49If that's the final score, I'll kiss your ass and give you a half an hour to draw a crowd!!! I'm only an hour or so away from Cleveland right now and can't find a single taker on a bet with ANY points. I won a boatload with the Pitsburgh game, so maybe that's why.

Texan_Bill
11-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Since coming back we've only made it once! The Oilers have been there.

We honestly should have a SB.. But that douche bag Art Modell screwed us. Ravens are my most hated team in football no doubt! :overreact:

Art Modell > Pud Adams!! Eff the Ravens, Eff the Tinnbreds!!! Just sayin'!

Hey bro, at the end of the day, I hope for a good game (and more importantly) an injury free Sunday!! Good luck bro... As long as the Texans win! ;)

*EDIT*
BTW, very sexist on my part by saying "dude", you could be a chick... And that would be even more AWESOME! :D

TejasTom
11-02-2011, 09:42 PM
This was on 610 on the J & R show today.

Chuck Booms, the Morning Host from 92.3 the Fan in Cleveland, gives his opinion on the Texans/Browns game.

http://cbshouston.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/chuck-booms-11-2-11.mp3

My favorite part, around 3:30 in to the interview Chuck said on their show they have "game plan Wednesday". The game plan was to "miss the flight"

They are expecting to get crushed.

triplethreat
11-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Art Modell > Pud Adams!! Eff the Ravens, Eff the Tinnbreds!!! Just sayin'!

Hey bro, at the end of the day, I hope for a good game (and more importantly) an injury free Sunday!! Good luck bro... As long as the Texans win! ;)

*EDIT*
BTW, very sexist on my part by saying "dude", you could be a chick... And that would be even more AWESOME! :D

Lol, I am a dude. And yes, lets hope everyone can stay healthy. Butttt, I just want the Browns to spoil your Sunday.. I'm sorry! :)

A man can dream right?

TheRealJoker
11-02-2011, 11:26 PM
This is a classic trap game. Texans have never demonstrated the discipline to win consistently. They have already won two in a row, both division games no less! I actually think it's more likely we suffer a letdown this week than the total domination some think we are prepared to deliver.

We might be better on paper, but the games are played on the field. See: Saints/Rams last week for a similar example.

BrwnsTown
11-02-2011, 11:42 PM

Depends on the Fan...
If you ask the latte drinking morons that were sucked into buying PSL's, well they swallow anything the ownership and front office gives them.

The Die hard fans are sick of rebuilding. It is hard to believe as bad as the passing game was last year that it would be worse this year. Mangini was on to something, it just wasn't what Holmgren wanted.

That is why Hillis will be gone after this season, and we will be looking for a WCO RB, WR's, right side of the O-line, Possible a new QB after next season, 2 new starting LB's, a safety and CB, and depth everywhere.

And according to this new management all through the draft and not free agency, so 5-7 years down the road when/if every draft pick works out we may make the playoffs, Or just rebuild again after next season when we go 2-14 to 5-11 again....

It is next to impossible to sit through a full game anymore, I actually fell asleep during the Seahawks game.....

Just hard to watch this after growing up with Sipe and Kardiac Kids....And now we are the New Orleans Aints of old......

steelbtexan
11-02-2011, 11:45 PM
I expect the better team to win.

Houston Texans are the better team.

triplethreat
11-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Depends on the Fan...
If you ask the latte drinking morons that were sucked into buying PSL's, well they swallow anything the ownership and front office gives them.

The Die hard fans are sick of rebuilding. It is hard to believe as bad as the passing game was last year that it would be worse this year. Mangini was on to something, it just wasn't what Holmgren wanted.

That is why Hillis will be gone after this season, and we will be looking for a WCO RB, WR's, right side of the O-line, Possible a new QB after next season, 2 new starting LB's, a safety and CB, and depth everywhere.

And according to this new management all through the draft and not free agency, so 5-7 years down the road when/if every draft pick works out we may make the playoffs, Or just rebuild again after next season when we go 2-14 to 5-11 again....

It is next to impossible to sit through a full game anymore, I actually fell asleep during the Seahawks game.....

Just hard to watch this after growing up with Sipe and Kardiac Kids....And now we are the New Orleans Aints of old......

Thats why we turn to the booze.. Lots and lots of booze. :lol:

But sincerely, I believe in Heckert and Holmgren, they have us going in the right direction and having an Offensive Coordinator next year will surely help.
They've shown over the years that they can rebuild a team, and I know they're committed to Cleveland.

thunderkyss
11-03-2011, 05:08 AM

They're probably just trying not to get your hopes up too quick.... ask anyone here, it shouldn't take more than 3-4 years.

Runner
11-03-2011, 08:09 AM
They're probably just trying not to get your hopes up too quick.... ask anyone here, it shouldn't take more than 3-4 years.

Others think it is impossible to be faster than six years, and then only with a sufficiently weak schedule and if the rest of your division gets flushed while you remain floating.

BrwnsTown
11-03-2011, 08:29 AM

You don't blow up your defense and fire every coach and start all over again and fix everything in 3-4 yrs.

After sunday you will see how bad this team really is.....

Thorn
11-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Thats why we turn to the booze.. Lots and lots of booze. :lol:

We're familiar with that. :barman:

76Texan
11-03-2011, 08:46 AM
You don't blow up your defense and fire every coach and start all over again and fix everything in 3-4 yrs.

After sunday you will see how bad this team really is.....

It's funny that the Texans fired Dom Capers and converted to a 43 under Richard Smith, only to slowly re-incorporated the 34 under Bush, and now a 34 with Wade Phillips.

I don't know if a combo of Capers/Kubiak were viable at the time (due to philosophy and working relationship).
At the time, I thought it would be the more prudent move rather than having a brand new HC in Kubiak with limited hand-on in defense.

I guess Bob McNair (the owner of the Texans) learned his lesson.

BrwnsTown
11-03-2011, 09:10 AM
It's funny that the Texans fired Dom Capers and converted to a 43 under Richard Smith, only to slowly re-incorporated the 34 under Bush, and now a 34 with Wade Phillips.

I don't know if a combo of Capers/Kubiak were viable at the time (due to philosophy and working relationship).
At the time, I thought it would be the more prudent move rather than having a brand new HC in Kubiak with limited hand-on in defense.

I guess Bob McNair (the owner of the Texans) learned his lesson.

How many times did the new HC or GM fire everybody and cut basically the whole defense and rebuild the team Houston?

Better yet, just look at Houston's drafts and the Browns since 99, You have a stud WR and RB as well as some stud Defensive players...

The Browns Have? A Left Tackle and a Center and one Corner Back and nothing else.
Not to mention, while Mangini was trying to build a 3-4 our GM was signing 4-3 Linemen Like Warren etc.. Then we switch back to a 4-3 and this new regime cuts all the veteran 4-3 linemen so we run with 2 rookies a 3rd year vet and a DE who has been in the league but never really played.

This team is a mess, The D looks good at times but like last year they wear down by the 4th qtr because they are on the field to long, this offense can not sustain any drive and only put together scoring drives when the game is out of hand and the opposing team goes into a prevent and gives up the intermediate passes in the middle of the field to kill the clock.

If you have yet to watch a browns game this year you are in for a treat this Sunday, this offense is the very definition of ineptness....It would be comical if I were not fan..

So my advice to you is make sure you chew and swallow your food before you watch the game(trying to prevent choking accident) while you laugh uncontrollable at this team...

76Texan
11-03-2011, 09:18 AM
How many times did the new HC or GM fire everybody and cut basically the whole defense and rebuild the team Houston?

Better yet, just look at Houston's drafts and the Browns since 99, You have a stud WR and RB as well as some stud Defensive players...

The Browns Have? A Left Tackle and a Center and one Corner Back and nothing else.
Not to mention, while Mangini was trying to build a 3-4 our GM was signing 4-3 Linemen Like Warren etc.. Then we switch back to a 4-3 and this new regime cuts all the veteran 4-3 linemen so we run with 2 rookies a 3rd year vet and a DE who has been in the league but never really played.

This team is a mess, The D looks good at times but like last year they wear down by the 4th qtr because they are on the field to long, this offense can not sustain any drive and only put together scoring drives when the game is out of hand and the opposing team goes into a prevent and gives up the intermediate passes in the middle of the field to kill the clock.

If you have yet to watch a browns game this year you are in for a treat this Sunday, this offense is the very definition of ineptness....It would be comical if I were not fan..

So my advice to you is make sure you chew and swallow your food before you watch the game(trying to prevent choking accident) while you laugh uncontrollable at this team...I hear you!

All this is really familiar when we watched the Texans, especially the D last year.

It came to a point where we all asked ourselves "what are they going to do to lose the game this week!"

:choke:

I've watched a couple of Brown games (actually more than that, but I always fell asleep by the 2nd qtr, LOL!)

thunderkyss
11-03-2011, 01:27 PM
I hear you!

All this is really familiar when we watched the Texans, especially the D last year.

It came to a point where we all asked ourselves "what are they going to do to lose the game this week!"

Yeah, a lot of his post sounds very familiar.

Maddict5
11-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Meanwhile, a fun trick with stats that you'll probably hear an announcer employ this weekend: Did you know Cleveland has allowed the second-fewest passing yards in football? Does that sound impressive? It isn't. The Browns have also faced the fewest pass attempts in football, and that's because of who they've played. Here are the starting quarterbacks they've faced this season: Andy Dalton, Kerry Collins, Chad Henne. Matt Hasselbeck, Jason Campbell, Charlie Whitehurst, Alex Smith. The only quarterback on your fantasy league's waiver wire missing from this list, coincidentally, is Browns starter Colt McCoy.

from grantland

srrono
11-03-2011, 02:09 PM
TheRedzoneorg The Redzone
Peyton Hillis returns to practice http://tinyurl.com/3e7vptz #NFL #Browns

srrono
11-03-2011, 02:14 PM
HoustonTexans Houston Texans
Kubiak on FB James Casey: "He's ready to go. He's taking all his reps in practice

triplethreat
11-03-2011, 02:15 PM

:breakdance:

Thank the lord for this one. Hopefully he can take the bulk of carries this week because we really need it.

thunderkyss
11-03-2011, 02:34 PM

I'm hoping he continues to have problems.

Only because I misunderstood his hamstring diagnosis.... I dropped him from my fantasy team.

Pantherstang84
11-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Trap game

This is a game that should not even be under discussion whether the Texans win or lose. Therefore, there is a very real possibility they will lose.

Thorn
11-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Trap game

This is a game that should not even be under discussion whether the Texans win or lose. Therefore, there is a very real possibility they will lose.

Oh please no, PLEASE GOD DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN. Me and all the rest of my fellow Kubiak haters will have a stroke and this board will implode under the weight of billions and billions and Carl Sagan billons of pick soap bars.

:overreact:

BrwnsTown
11-04-2011, 10:17 AM
I'm hoping he continues to have problems.

Only because I misunderstood his hamstring diagnosis.... I dropped him from my fantasy team.

If he plays or not, it wont really matter.
No matter who the back is opposing teams just cheat up and force us to try and win with McCoy throwing the ball which he cant do.

Running Hillis in single back sets against 8 man fronts is pointless. Running any back against 8 man fronts is pointless.

Without a lead blocker to get Hillis into the open field where he is dangerous= the Texans not having to worry about much.

The Pencil Neck
11-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Running any back against 8 man fronts is pointless.

You don't have Kubiak as your HC and play-caller. He's a firm believer that his teams should be able to consistently run against 8 man fronts.

:kubepalm:

CloakNNNdagger
11-04-2011, 11:44 AM
From the Texans web site:

I like to drive people into the ground, talk smack and finish them. Really I dont like the people I go against until the clock is over with. Fullback Lawrence Vickers, describing his style of play.

Texn4life
11-04-2011, 11:49 AM

Wow, I sure wish he would've shown some of that while Casey was out. I guess it was still a decent signing, but thought he would have fit a little bit better in this offense than he has.

NitroGSXR
11-04-2011, 06:39 PM

:spit:

I want some of what Vickers is smoking.

steelbtexan
11-04-2011, 07:36 PM
If he plays or not, it wont really matter.
No matter who the back is opposing teams just cheat up and force us to try and win with McCoy throwing the ball which he cant do.

Running Hillis in single back sets against 8 man fronts is pointless. Running any back against 8 man fronts is pointless.

Without a lead blocker to get Hillis into the open field where he is dangerous= the Texans not having to worry about much.

The good news for Browns fans is they should be able to get an impact WR and a OT/OG with those two 1st's and a high 2nd. So things should be looking up for your team.

BrwnsTown
11-04-2011, 07:39 PM
The good news for Browns fans is they should be able to get an impact WR and a OT/OG with those two 1st's and a high 2nd. So things should be looking up for your team.

Hopefully, but we need a lot more...

It will be interesting to see what direction the front office goes in the off season.

The Defense is closer to being complete..

Lucky
11-04-2011, 09:17 PM
from grantland
Speaking of grantland, whatever happened to Simmons' upset special of the year?

Jaguars (+9.5) over TEXANS
The Jags can run the ball and play defense throw away Cincy's stupid fumble return off a desperation lateral in Week 5 and they've given up seven touchdowns total in the past five weeks to Carolina, New Orleans, Cincy, Pittsburgh and Baltimore. Meanwhile, a struggling Houston team beat up the punchless Titans and they're suddenly a juggernaut again? Really? (Thinking.) You know what? I'm making this my Upset Special of 2011: Jaguars 20, Texans 19. Come on, Sunshine Ronny Bass! Take my fake +350 moneyline bet home!
Not only did he miss his upset special, but Simmons went 3-10 versus the spread for the week. :kubepalm:

kiwitexansfan
11-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Trap game

Not this year, I think things are different.

kiwitexansfan
11-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Speaking of grantland, whatever happened to Simmons' upset special of the year?

Not only did he miss his upset special, but Simmons went 3-10 versus the spread for the week. :kubepalm:

Basically Simmons knows jack-all about football.

He is great on Basketball and reality TV/Pop Culture but is just a comic when it comes to football.