PDA

View Full Version : Texans Midseason MVP?

TheRealJoker
10-31-2011, 10:26 PM
The Texans have had several key players injured throughout the first half of the season. Andre Johnson and Arian Foster have missed time on offense. Matt Schaub is putting up top 10 QB numbers but has had some consistency issues due in large part to his two all pro skill players AJ and Foster missing playing time at different points the first eight games. The OL is the strongest part of the team but it is playing so well as a unit, there is no single dominant force that you can pinpoint as the reason for the OL's success.

Which leads me to my pick for Houston Texans midseason MVP:

BRIAN CUSHING

Cushing is back into rookie year form... but better. He is the best player on the defense and seems to be everywhere the ball is at whether they are running or passing. There hasn't really been a breakout game by a RB against the Texans this year, mainly due to Cushing stuffing them at the line. Maurice Jones Drew was shut down by this monster... much more impressive than CJ2YPC getting shut down as well!!!

Johnathan Joseph is second in line due to being a true lockdown CB (The Texans biggest need this year) but Cushing gets my pick for midseason MVP due to his overall impact on the defense throughout the year.

redwhiteANDblue
10-31-2011, 10:34 PM
Would have taken antonio but seems to have dissapeared last few games. To be honest I might just have to go with Cushing aswell. He's been a monster period. Nobody in the offense stands out personally. The offense has been balanced as can be with everyone getting the ball and not just one person stat padding

TheRealJoker
10-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Would have taken antonio but seems to have dissapeared last few games. To be honest I might just have to go with Cushing aswell. He's been a monster period. Nobody in the offense stands out personally. The offense has been balanced as can be with everyone getting the ball and not just one person stat padding

Antonio was playing like a pro bowler until Mario went down. It seems lile Cushing elevated his play to compensate for the loss of Mario.

TexanSam
10-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Wade Phillips!

TheDream34
10-31-2011, 10:39 PM
1. Brian Cushing 2. Johnathan Joseph no question about considering our defense has been saving our offense's ass all season long

Scooter
10-31-2011, 10:43 PM
i agree with cushing. he's been all over the place, and he's the one calling the plays on defense. whether blitz, run support, zone, or playing man to man (even covering receivers at times) - cushing has been a monster. definitely gets my vote for mid season mvp.

TexansBull
10-31-2011, 10:43 PM
Can I vote for Wade?

You meant player so I cant vote for Wade, so I would go with Foster. The defense is rocking because of new personel and coaching. But the offense probably would have dropped a game or two more (Pittsburgh probably) if Arian and Andre were out. The guy is helping the offense and defense a ton. After seeing Tate fumble twice in three games, Schaub be shaky, and Andre out, he makes me see how valuable ($$$) he is to this team.

hot pickle
10-31-2011, 10:48 PM
cush!!!

TdotTexas2Step
10-31-2011, 10:52 PM
Other than the obvious choice in Cushing - so glad he's back to form - I'll go with Owen Daniels. He's been absolutely huge for us since Andre went down, and has been solid all season. He plays a role in the run and in the pass, and thank goodness he's got good enough hands to catch all the underthrows Schaub sends his way.

kiwitexansfan
10-31-2011, 10:54 PM
I'd probably go with J.Jo

Maybe just for the novelty of having a CB worth cheering for, in contrast to the dross we've fielded since Aaron Glenn.

stingray
10-31-2011, 11:04 PM
Jonathan Joseph no doubt and Matt Schaub a close second... MATT SCHAUB!!! Wait what!!!!!!!!! ......................

Because if Matt had gone down earlier in the season , I doubt we win any game with Lienart as the QB. I am just talking about MVP not the best performer.

mussop
10-31-2011, 11:36 PM
Cushing then A Smith then OD.

ADTpaul
10-31-2011, 11:36 PM
addition of Wade Phillips has really helped but he can't win this award. Brian Cushing please!

Corrosion
10-31-2011, 11:57 PM
First two games - Tate.

Rest of the season - Cushing.

bckey
11-01-2011, 12:23 AM
Its a toss up between Kareem Jackson and Jacoby Jones. :throwball:

speedfreek
11-01-2011, 08:20 AM
WADE is my MVP

TJ

Rey
11-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Cushing with Joseph right on his heels.

Actually, I'd probably make them Co MVP's....

V Man
11-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Jonathan Joseph 1st
Brian Cushing 2nd

Texn4life
11-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Its hard to choose just one person so I won't...... but Wade is the true MVP.

Player wise I'd have to say J-Jo on defense and Schaub on offense. Only reason I chose those 2 is because J-Jo has basically shut down his side of the field so its made the secondary much, much better. Cushing is a close second.

And Schaub mainly just because he's been the leader of the offense dealing with a ton of injuries. Sure he's made some mistakes, but he's still managed relatively well.

Ole Miss Texan
11-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Boy there are really a lot of players that are stepping up this season. Particularly on defense... and I would attribute a lot of that to Wade Phillips who is making things easier on them and putting them in the best position to make plays.

I would give the Most Valuable Player award to Johnathan Joseph. His play in the secondary has been enormous and a huge catalyst for our other players being able to make plays. Without him back there I think we'd continue to get torched... even with our better safety play.

Cushing has been a beast though and should win like a "heisman" type of award for being the best player. He's elevated his game to that of his rookie season. I think Cushing is performing as the best overall player on our defense and probably our team. However I still would put Joseph as our MVP.

This defense is downright nasty! Mario, Antonio, Watt, Barwin... they all deserve special mention too.

eriadoc
11-01-2011, 09:36 AM
I'd go JoJo first, Cushing second. People sort of forget about JoJo because when he's doing his job well, you don't hear his name. He gets challenged every once in a while, but for the most part, QBs look over there once, realize their man is covered, and go to their second read. That allows the front 7 (including Cushing) more opportunities to do their job.

Here's the better question: Is your 3rd place vote an offensive player? It is for me, with Duane Brown. But how sad is that? The real MVP of the team so far is Wade Phillips, but we're talking players, I guess.

Goatcheese
11-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Most Valuable Player: Matt Schaub is the difference between this team being 5-3 or 2-6. There's not another guy on the roster who can make that kind of difference. It's just the nature of the QB position.

Best Player: Brian Cushing is back on the juice. ANIMAL! :aggressive:

bckey
11-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Seriously I would have to say Arian Foster on offense and Brian Cushing on defense. Schaub hasn't been as sharp this year. Hopefully the 2nd half of the season he improves. Best rookies this year go to Ben Tate (didn't play last year so he should count) and JJ Watt.

HTown2ATX
11-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I know this may sound crazy....but I almost want to give props to Tate on the offense. He definitely carried the load in Fosters place and that was much needed.

If we're looking at more of "what have you done for me lately" then I go with Arian.

Defense = Cushing

Goatcheese
11-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Seriously I would have to say Arian Foster on offense and Brian Cushing on defense. Schaub hasn't been as sharp this year. Hopefully the 2nd half of the season he improves. Best rookies this year go to Ben Tate (didn't play last year so he should count) and JJ Watt.

How much better do you expect him to be?

Yards per game 264.8 10th
Yards per attempt 8.3 4th
Touchdowns 13 7th
QB rating 95.9 7th

The only area isn't doing really well in is total Completion Percentage at 60.2% and yet he's still averaging a ridiculous 8.3 YPA.

Unless the guy starts walking on water or healing Andre Johnson by laying of hands there isn't a ton of room for improvement.

Playoffs
11-01-2011, 04:36 PM
MIP = J.Jo. -- without a shutdown corner this defense doesn't work

MVP = O-line

MIA = Wade

Tough choices, as so many have upped their games.

most important player;most important addition

robroy72
11-01-2011, 04:39 PM
1. Brian Cushing 2. Johnathan Joseph no question about considering our defense has been saving our offense's ass all season long

I'd agree with that.

rush2112mn
11-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Brian Cushing....
He has answered the critics questions. He is back with a vengeance and he is playing with a chip on his sholder. He has picked up Wade Phillips system and is thriving in it. I see Probowl...and a candidate for defensive player of the year at this pace. and all pro too.......

srrono
11-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Rackers he strikes Fear for every KR in the league!

Texan_Bill
11-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Cush on "D"

Foster / Scaub Co-MVP's. He's without AJ meaning he has basically 2 TE's, a career slot receiver and JJ to throw to.

Double Barrel
11-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Cushing

kiwitexansfan
11-01-2011, 05:00 PM
MIP = J.Jo. -- without a shutdown corner this defense doesn't work

Not sure if this is true, Wade's D in Dallas worked and he had no shutdown corners. Newman is not shutdown.

His defense needs the Rush OLB more. Ware/Williams.

Lucky
11-01-2011, 07:00 PM
1. Brian Cushing 2. Johnathan Joseph...
I would second this. But, I would also like to give a nod to Center Chris Myers. Perhaps the Texans most consistant player on offense, Myers play and leadersip has put the Texans on pace for two 1000 yard rushers. If you can run the ball, you can win in January. These guys are pushing this team towards January games.

Texan_Bill
11-01-2011, 07:06 PM
I would second this. But, I would also like to give a nod to Center Chris Myers. Perhaps the Texans most consistant player on offense, Myers play and leadersip has put the Texans on pace for two 1000 yard rushers. If you can run the ball, you can win in January. These guys are pushing this team towards January games.

Not a bad choice and this coming from someone that threw him in the frying pan a couple of years ago.... In case some people don't understand what that was, it was the sound of someone eating crow. I think the Kris Jenkins 'owning', many of us somewhat unjustly threw Chris under the bus. Myself included.

Lucky
11-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Not a bad choice and this coming from someone that threw him in the frying pan a couple of years ago.... In case some people don't understand what that was, it was the sound of someone eating crow. I think the Kris Jenkins 'owning', many of us somewhat unjustly threw Chris under the bus. Myself included.
I don't think there is any doubt that the Chris Myers of 2010-11 is a better player than the Chris Myers of 2009. And yes, he took too much criticism then.

bckey
11-01-2011, 11:18 PM
How much better do you expect him to be?

Yards per game 264.8 10th
Yards per attempt 8.3 4th
Touchdowns 13 7th
QB rating 95.9 7th

The only area isn't doing really well in is total Completion Percentage at 60.2% and yet he's still averaging a ridiculous 8.3 YPA.

Unless the guy starts walking on water or healing Andre Johnson by laying of hands there isn't a ton of room for improvement.

Stats don't tell the whole story. When he has missed he has missed bad. Under throwing and overthrowing. He has also had alot of passes batted down. His overall awareness looks off.

dream_team
11-02-2011, 01:53 AM
My vote goes to Jonathan Joseph. Cushing has been playing lights out, but keep in mind, our rush defense was already decent. Joseph has helped transform our secondary to be one of the better pass defenses in the league.

Punters don't get MVP credit, but if I had 10 votes, I'd give one to Hartmann. It just feels good to finally have a real punter.

Vinny
11-02-2011, 11:22 AM
My vote goes to Jonathan Joseph. Cushing has been playing lights out, but keep in mind, our rush defense was already decent. Joseph has helped transform our secondary to be one of the better pass defenses in the league.
Our rushing defense wasn't really good actually....On JJ, he has been exceptional, as expected. A real live pro bowl quality cb1....finally.

Cushing easy for me as team MVP at this point.

Cushing is playing at not only a Pro Bowl level, but imo he's playing at an All-Pro level. At mlb I think only Willis, Jon Beason (hurt out for season), Jerod Mayo, Lawrence Timmons (they moved him back outside when Harrison went down) are in his class. There are a few guys who have played great in the past but are past their primes (like but not limited to guys such as Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher). I think he will either be a first team or second team All Pro if he can avoid injury and keep playing like he has so far this year.

I agree with Lucky also on Myers. He's no longer getting blown up at the point of attack and may be the best center in the league at the second level...there are other guys who are more powerful and better at smash mouth blocking, but he's been a beast blocking in space this year. I gave him hell also (but honestly - he really struggled early), but the Texans were right on him thinking he would get better as he gained more experience.

Calface4
11-02-2011, 11:37 AM
It would definatly be Kareem Jackson!!!! haha just kidding

But all joking aside, without Jackson sucking so badly the Texans might not have been as aggresive to pick up the gem of a free agent in J.Jo... (who by the way is some of yall's mvps)

So you see, in a way Kareem Jackson actually HELPED our team :)

ADTpaul
11-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Brian Cushings on defense and lets give it to the RBs on offense. Foster and Tate might get 1,000 yards each rushing. thats a beast like 1-2 combo

mexican_texan
11-02-2011, 11:50 PM
I'd probably go with J.Jo

Maybe just for the novelty of having a CB worth cheering for, in contrast to the dross we've fielded since Aaron Glenn.

Yes, a thousand times, yes. If he doesn't make the Pro Bowl, I'll probably write a very angry letter to the Commissioner.

Showtime100
11-02-2011, 11:55 PM
I'll go for Cushing. No more gestation jokes about Cushing from me. I truly thought he needed the drug to be a beast, I am happily wrong.

SAMURAITEXAN
11-03-2011, 12:09 AM
Cush very close second is J Jo. J Jo turned out to be the great choice by FO. I think our FO did a damn good and smart job in signing J Jo and Manning.

Go Texans!!!

TejasTom
11-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Most Valuable Player: Matt Schaub is the difference between this team being 5-3 or 2-6. There's not another guy on the roster who can make that kind of difference. It's just the nature of the QB position.

Best Player: Brian Cushing is back on the juice. ANIMAL! :aggressive:

Matt Schaub is also the difference between us being 5 - 3 and 7 - 1. I'm still a Schaub supporter but he has had some rough games this year.

ObsiWan
11-03-2011, 03:31 AM
Defensively for me it's Johnathan Joseph: 9 passes defended (leads the team by far), 3 INTs, 1 forced fumble. That trumps Cushing's 35 tackles, 1 INT, and 1 sack.

Offensively, it's the O-line. I'm okay with you guys picking out Myers because of his undeniable improvement over the past two years, but I think it's the whole unit. They're springing Foster and Tate for 500+ yds apiece after 8 games and, for the most part, have been keeping Schaub upright (15 sacks in 8 games).

And Wade is coach of the mid-year.