PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Qtr 2nd & 10 10 secs

Norg
10-30-2011, 11:08 PM
Why did we send the Field goal team out there on 2nd down ?????? with 10 secs we could have run another play to get it closer for Rackers ???????? a kick that he missed

THIS was a WTF Kubiak Moment IMO

EllisUnit
10-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Why did we send the Field goal team out there on 2nd down ?????? with 10 secs we could have run another play to get it closer for Rackers ???????? a kick that he missed

a sack, our a completion in bounds means no points. I see why they did it. Rackers is usually money. Not kubiaks fault he missed

Ryan
10-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Have no fault with Kubiak's decision making there.

Norg
10-30-2011, 11:14 PM
a sack, our a completion in bounds means no points. I see why they did it. Rackers is usually money. Not kubiaks fault he missed

Umm no thats why u look for a play on the sideline if its not there then Throw it into the stands

or

take a shot in the end zone or quick pass then fall down or clock the ball

U seen and the end of the game Jags ran two plays with 10 seconds left dont tell me it cant be done

EllisUnit
10-30-2011, 11:15 PM
Umm no thats why u look for a play on the sideline if its not there then Throw it into the stands

or

U seen and the end of the game Jags ran two plays with 10 seconds left dont tell me it cant be done

this is schaub. he usually takes a sack in situations like that :whip:

Texn4life
10-30-2011, 11:16 PM

or

I agree with everyone else in that you don't take a chance there. We've given up some sacks especially in the Oakland game when we couldn't afford to take them so why risk it? We don't exactly have the best WR's on the field to be taking chances in that particular situation. 3 points was huge the way the game was playing out at that point in time and we just missed it. I think it was the right call.

Grid
10-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Sure you COULD take a risk there...go for the 7 point lead. Or you could play it a little more conservative and go for the 3 point lead.

I dont fault Kubiaks decision. This was not a case where he played it conservative in a situation where he really needed to take a risk. Id say that in this case it was about 70/30 in favor of the move he made. He COULD have gone for the endzone once...but risk an interception, or sack. Or he could have gone for the quick out to the sideline... but he was already within rackers range so that would really have been an unnecessary risk.

On second thought id say its about 90/10 in favor of the move he made.

Showtime100
10-30-2011, 11:55 PM

I said pretty much that in the gamethread and was disagreed with. Thing is I didn't think they HAD to run another play. I'm very much in favor of trying for the three and getting in the locker room so I understood why the idea didn't seem popular.

After thinking about it, the likelihood of something going wrong, or worse, was greater than the likelihood of getting much of anything better than a FG by running one more play. I'm mainly posting to tell you you were not alone in the way you thought. I was there originally but have changed my stance after some thought.

roooshi
10-30-2011, 11:59 PM
Had kubiak gone for it, then schaub gotten sacked, the center and schuab miss communicating leading to a fumble, false start by the offense leading to -5 yards thus leading to a missed FG (we wouldnt have known rackers would have missed where he was).

Or ANYTHING else that would have gone wrong and the time ran out without us getting a FG......you would be making a thread complaining about "WHY DIDNT THEY JUST KICK IT WITH 10 SECONDS LEFT!"

People always find a way to complain.

TexansFanatic
10-31-2011, 12:07 AM
Had no problem with that decision at all.

Norg
10-31-2011, 12:45 AM
Ok so say its our first playoff game end of the 2nd qtr we are tied up 14 to 14 u dont want to take no chances because yall are afriad of what Might Happen ?????

How do u know its going to happen if u never try ?????? **** dat

BigBull17
10-31-2011, 12:46 AM
Something as small as a slip or a bobbled snap and you have no chance for points. It was the right call. Just a bad kick

Norg
10-31-2011, 12:50 AM
Elite teams us every chance they can get to score points and know how to use every second of the clock

many times this attitude has came back to cost the texans Games

The Pencil Neck
10-31-2011, 12:52 AM
My only problem was that Schaub didn't wait a few seconds longer to take the snap and stop the clock. He should have run the clock down to about 4 seconds before snapping the ball.

But making a desperate play at the end of the first half would have been a poor decision. The decision to kick at that point was good.

Texn4life
10-31-2011, 12:53 AM
Elite teams us every chance they can get to score points and know how to use every second of the clock

Please provide examples

The Pencil Neck
10-31-2011, 12:53 AM

Elite teams don't make desperate plays when it's not a desperate situation. Playing for a field goal at that point is a good move.

Trying to run one more pass play with 10 seconds left on the clock is a desperation play.

Texanmike02
10-31-2011, 01:31 AM

The difference is we can trust the defense this year. Our D is actually a quality D. When that's the case you take points because even less than 7 gives you a chance. Last year's D you have to take a shot because 24 pts doesn't get it done.

Mike

ObsiWan
10-31-2011, 01:39 AM
Ok so say its our first playoff game end of the 2nd qtr we are tied up 14 to 14 u dont want to take no chances because yall are afriad of what Might Happen ?????

How do u know its going to happen if u never try ?????? **** dat

In that same set of circumstances in a playoff game, I would expect the same decision.

- No timeouts
- 10 secs left in the half
- just drove down the field to get in FG range
- BUT you're still about 30 yds away from the endzone

The field position thing would swing the decision for me because if we were inside the 10 where you could run a quick fade or quick slant, I'd be on your side and take a shot.
But from that far out, you'd probably burn up the 10 secs left waiting for your guys to get in the endzone AND get open AND for Schaub to see him and make the throw - cause if I'm the opposing D coordinator, I'm dropping four DBs in the endzone.

Remember if they get tackled short you come up with nothing because you won't have time to get everyone back to the line so you can spike the ball to stop the clock.

So yeah I'm taking the 3 points and go into the locker room with the lead and the momentum.

PapaL
10-31-2011, 02:12 AM
That is primte time for the trademarked SSTOTG aka Schaub's Shitty Throw of The Game.

Regardless of the half, the game, pre/regular/post season you play to win the game. You play. To win. The game. Kick the FG.

dream_team
10-31-2011, 02:13 AM
Kubiak made the right call, go for the field goal.

With 10 seconds left, on the 28 yard line, sure that's enough time to take a shot at the end zone. But the odds of something bad happening is much higher than something good happening.

Rackers from 46 yards, I'd say, is about 95%. If we do a quick out and try to get Rackers another 10 yards or so, then possibly the percentage goes up to 99%. So once again, not worth that extra 4 percentage points.

With the way our defense was dominating, and our offense was struggling, you have to take the points right there.

TheMatrix31
10-31-2011, 06:13 AM
If Rackers nails it, then this thread wouldn't exist.

Who cares.

TexanBacker93
10-31-2011, 06:20 AM
Kicking the FG was the smart play. It was well within his range and too many things could happen that could give you a chance at nothing. Muffed snap (or one into your backside like the poor Eagles center last night), sack, receiver unable to get out of bounds, or even an interception. Matt doesn't exactly have great arm strength and if they run a play there the D knows it's going to the sideline. This would tell me to jump the route and you could look at a pick 6 going the other way. With no timeouts it was the only smart option.

Now, if it was a 50 yard try or something I'd rather see a pass into the endzone.

Rey
10-31-2011, 07:03 AM
Kicking the FG was the smart play. It was well within his range and too many things could happen that could give you a chance at nothing. Muffed snap (or one into your backside like the poor Eagles center last night), sack, receiver unable to get out of bounds, or even an interception. Matt doesn't exactly have great arm strength and if they run a play there the D knows it's going to the sideline. This would tell me to jump the route and you could look at a pick 6 going the other way. With no timeouts it was the only smart option.

Now, if it was a 50 yard try or something I'd rather see a pass into the endzone.

You are 100% correct.

You do not run another play there.

TimeKiller
10-31-2011, 08:12 AM
Not a bad move, I think if it's Madden or something I would throw one to the endzone just to see if I can score....

But really, Rackers seemed like he rushed his routine by quite a bit and then....yikes, He missed that FG by like 30 feet.

sandman
10-31-2011, 08:29 AM
If we have to dig this deep into the game plays to start complaining about a coaching decision, then either you don't like the coach or you just like to complain.

Mr teX
10-31-2011, 08:45 AM
we had no TO's & you gotta know that the defense is guarding the sidelines. If schaub's sacked & or the pass is completed & the WR doesn't get out of bounds, we dont get a shot a points there.

don't really see why this is a bad decision on kube's part there.

dream_team
10-31-2011, 09:42 AM
If we have to dig this deep into the game plays to start complaining about a coaching decision, then either you don't like the coach or you just like to complain.

This! ^

BullNation4Life
10-31-2011, 09:56 AM

This is why Madden is killing the common sense of football fans....

In Madden, absolutely go for the points, The AI is spotty, the middle of the field is usually wide open and I can control what the WR does...

in reality, that is a video game , this is real life and the AI on the other team is a hell of allot smarter and reacts better...

take the 3, go into the locker room up on the #6 ranked defense in the NFL and come and make plays in the second half.

TexanSam
10-31-2011, 10:04 AM
I didn't have a problem with that particular play. I was more annoyed with the plays before it when we had 25+ seconds left and we took our final time out.

Runner
10-31-2011, 10:11 AM
The Texans chose the field goal at that point for the simple reason that that is how Kubiak coaches. The argument can be made to take a shot at the TD and leave enough time for the kick if it fails. The argument can be made to try to get a little closer and then kick. The argument can also be made that the immediate three point attempt is the right call.

Kubiak has been here for years. He's proven that he will usually take the conservative approach. In hindsight it is easy to second guess; in foresight the Texans will usually go with the safer play.

panamamyers
10-31-2011, 10:15 AM

That's what runs through the heads of coaches that coach timidly.
A guy going for the jugular would not even fathom such a scenario happening. He would have complete faith in his team to perform in a clutch manner.

RTP2110
10-31-2011, 10:19 AM
Wow, Madden football and Arena League are really killing fans' NFL IQ's. I'm no Kubiak defender, but even when he does something right, people are calling him out for it.

Rey
10-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Wow, Madden football and Arena League are really killing fans' NFL IQ's. I'm no Kubiak defender, but even when he does something right, people are calling him out for it.

Have you guys played the new Madden yet?

I wouldn't even try it on the game.

nero THE zero
10-31-2011, 10:34 AM
The Jags have one of the best defenses in the league and the worst offense. You take the points when they're there. So, I could see why you would go ahead and kick the field goal and not risk anything.

Not saying I would do the same, I'd probably take a shot at the end zone, but it wasn't some unfathomable decision or anything.

Mr teX
10-31-2011, 10:44 AM
A guy going for the jugular would not even fathom such a scenario happening. He would have complete faith in his team to perform in a clutch manner.

or smart coaches....watched belichick do damn near the exact same thing in the pats / steelers game before the half. the only real difference was that he had a TO so he ran the ball on like a 3rd & 35 or something like that then called his final TO..........& the kicker hit the FG.

El Tejano
10-31-2011, 10:46 AM
Rich Gannon did take time away from his love for Jacksonville's defense to mention it was a good decision on Kubiak's part and he gave valid reasons as to why.

Norg
10-31-2011, 11:38 AM
ok well we didnt even position the ball for rackers at least do that ..... :P

The Cush
10-31-2011, 11:42 AM
ok well we didnt even position the ball for rackers at least do that ..... :P

A run play to set up the position with 10 seconds left would have burned all the time off. That would be the worst thing we could have done

Norg
10-31-2011, 11:46 AM
A run play to set up the position with 10 seconds left would have burned all the time off. That would be the worst thing we could have done

no it wont thats silly if u think that LOL

The Cush
10-31-2011, 11:49 AM

Your silly if you actually want to run that. The run would take 3 or 4 seconds max, then the ref has to get the ball and position it, everyone has to scramble to get set then spike it. You're cutting it really close, especially if something happens to the ball carrier where he doesn't get up immediately

TexanBacker93
10-31-2011, 11:58 AM

I supported the decision and I am firmly in the Kubiak should go camp. It doesn't mean he won't make a good call now and then. Blind squirrels. Nuts. You know the rest.

drunkcookie
10-31-2011, 11:59 AM
This has got to be a joke... The last part of this thread anyway...

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using Tapakeg

TexanBacker93
10-31-2011, 12:02 PM

I don't think you do when it's currently a tied game. Plus you have to consider that you aren't getting the ball first in the 2nd half. I would bet that Sean Payton, Bill Cowher, Andy Reid, Mike McCarthy, Mike Tomlin, and probably even Bill Belichick would have done the same thing. Now..if you have a 7 point lead at that time and are getting the ball in the 2nd half I think those coaches might do something different and I would agree. You have to look at the situation beyond the time and yardage.

The Pencil Neck
10-31-2011, 01:04 PM
But really, Rackers seemed like he rushed his routine by quite a bit and then....yikes, He missed that FG by like 30 feet.

Looked to me like Hartmann didn't spin the laces. He just put the ball right down as he caught it and the laces were on the right side instead of the front.

JCTexan
10-31-2011, 02:36 PM

No, it's not. Just running a play could take five seconds off the clock, and trying to get everybody back to the line to spike the ball would run the rest of it off. The only problem I saw in that sequence was spiking the ball with so much time remaining on the clock. The FG try there was the smart play. Go into the locker with a three point lead. Wasn't Kubiak's fault Rackers missed it.

The Cush
10-31-2011, 03:23 PM
Looked to me like Hartmann didn't spin the laces. He just put the ball right down as he caught it and the laces were on the right side instead of the front.

Sounds like the plot to Ace Ventura Pet Detective

TejasTom
10-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Without AJ, you kick the FG.

Corrosion
10-31-2011, 11:50 PM

or

It was the safe call - take the points. Bad snap or some other mis-que and they have another play rather than coming away with nothing played much like you would in an overtime situation.

Rackers missing is a whole different discussion.

ObsiWan
11-01-2011, 01:46 PM
I supported the decision and I am firmly in the Kubiak should go camp. It doesn't mean he won't make a good call now and then. Blind squirrels. Nuts. You know the rest.

Blind squirrels use their sense of smell to locate nuts.
:D