PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Glenn Released - Signed by Dallas

Pages : [1] 2

Grid
04-25-2005, 10:13 PM
Just got a call saying that they said on the news he was traded to Dallas.

Watching now

(dunno yet if this is a false alarm)

ArlingtonTexan
04-25-2005, 10:15 PM
Listened Dallas local sports update and no mention of this.

StarStruck
04-25-2005, 10:16 PM
News reported possibly, which IMO means probably. If so, welcome!

Wolf
04-25-2005, 10:18 PM
probably for Drew Henson... being this is the 1st year we haven't drafted a QB :heh:

D-ReK
04-25-2005, 10:18 PM
Just got a call saying that they said on the news he was traded to Dallas.

Watching now

(dunno yet if this is a false alarm)

$10 says if we traded him, it was for a future 3rd rounder, which has a 30% chance of turning into a starter, and an 80% chance of being traded next offseason...

michaelm
04-25-2005, 10:19 PM
segment right now on FSN about the Cowgirls draft. The ticker covered some recent dallas free agent signings, but said nothing about a trade...

texasguy346
04-25-2005, 10:21 PM
If true I couldn't have been more wrong.

I doubt Dallas has much interest in Glenn. They just paid big bucks to get Anthony Henry from the Browns to play opposite of Newman.

And XMan would've made a great call.

Dallas comes to mind as a team needing a veteran CB - (if Newman sucks again or if they have an injury)

Link (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showpost.php?p=113163&postcount=40)

YodAa
No try to trade for Thomas Davis!

AndreJ
$10 says if we traded him, it was for a future 3rd rounder, which has a 30% chance of turning into a starter, and an 80% chance of being traded next offseason...

LoL, ill take you up on that one although, the numbers are one your side. LoL, wait I've got an even better one we traded the 3rd rounder we go from NO and Glenn to Dallas for D. War and Marcus Spears.

michaelm
Talking about the Texans right now on FSN

AndreJ
04-25-2005, 10:24 PM

I caught like the last 30 sec of it, the guy said something about Seattle and Shaun Alexander, can you elaborate?

michaelm
04-25-2005, 10:25 PM

the reporter (dunno his name) said that the day before the draft, Seattle called some of the teams in the Texans area of the draft (13ish),including us, offering S. Alexander... it wasn't clear if he meant straight up for the pick or to swap picks.
I'll assume that they wanted to swap picks since they already said he was available for less than a 1st...

cyanides
Seattle called several teams including Texans and Panthers offering Shaun for their draft pick

Grid
Houston Texans 2005: On the Clock is coming on channel 13 at 10:35.. might say something then if anything did happen.

michaelm
04-25-2005, 10:27 PM
Houston Texans 2005: On the Clock is coming on channel 13 at 10:35.. might say something then if anything did happen.

cool, thanks...

TexanExile
04-25-2005, 10:28 PM
lol@25 people reading this thread. Think anybody's curious about this possibility? :)

michaelm
04-25-2005, 10:29 PM
Seattle called several teams including Texans and Panthers offering Shaun for their draft pick

I'd still kill to find a way to get Alexander in a Texans uni... we don't really have the room, and might not like to take on his contract, but I'd still like to see it...

texan279
04-25-2005, 10:30 PM
I'd still kill to find a way to get Alexander in a Texans uni... we don't really have the room, and might not like to take on his contract, but I'd still like to see it...

Aaron Glenn straight up for Alexander! :woot

WWJD
04-25-2005, 10:30 PM
Well it sort of makes sense...Parcells likes having his old players no matter where he goes and Aaron still wants to play apparently. There is a story on the Chronicle's website but I was unable to put the link here for some reason.

I believe he will just be released by the team and there are no draft choices involved.

F-minus67
04-25-2005, 10:32 PM
What does the artical say?

michaelm
04-25-2005, 10:33 PM
Aaron Glenn straight up for Alexander! :woot

God, I'd love that, but I think the SeaChickins are trying to dump salary...

texan279
04-25-2005, 10:33 PM
If we release him Dallas could probably pick him up on a 1 or 2 year contract and pay him way less than what he would have made this season, just like Sharper...

Hervoyel
04-25-2005, 10:34 PM
probably for Drew Henson... being this is the 1st year we haven't drafted a QB :heh:

Now THIS is how it's done. :rofl:

Grid
04-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Just saw on two that the Cowboys are #1 on Aaron Glenn's list.. but nothing on a trade.

michaelm
04-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Bob Allen said that he will likely be released tomorrow and sign w/ the cowgirls...

disaacks3
yep, it was just on 13.

FILO_girl
lol@25 people reading this thread. Think anybody's curious about this possibility? :)
LOL, only 23 now but 2 are probably still looking for the remote to turn it to 13...

texasguy346
Bob Allen said that Glenn is likely to play for the Dallas Cowboys. He talked to the Packers, Patriots, and Cowboys. He's reached an agreement with the Cowboys, and he's likely to be released tommorrow.

Wolf
04-25-2005, 10:38 PM
I hate giving up players for NOTHING...

makes no sense to me... At least get something for a guy.

FILO_girl
04-25-2005, 10:38 PM
Hey, I saw Yankee on 13!

texansfan88
04-25-2005, 10:42 PM
Just saw on two that the Cowboys are #1 on Aaron Glenn's list.. but nothing on a trade.
grid, you havent responded at all to me, where did you see Wilkerson signed with the Bengals?

WWJD
04-25-2005, 10:42 PM
What does the artical say?

That he had reached a 1 year agreement with the Cowboys and the Texans would grant him his release as he requested. Mentioned how Parcells loved working with players he knew well.

hot pickle
04-25-2005, 10:43 PM
looks like faggins will get his nickle spot back, could this mean that the texans signed some undrafted FA? maybe Brandon Browner :hmmm:

D-ReK
04-25-2005, 10:44 PM
looks like faggins will get his nickle spot back, could this mean that the texans signed some undrafted FA? maybe Brandon Browner :hmmm:

Browner signed with Denver...

Grid
04-25-2005, 10:48 PM
But the news was not as good for LSU center Ben Wilkerson, once considered a first-day NFL talent, who went undrafted and signed with the Cincinnati Bengals.

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-18/111440891739980.xml

*EDIT* Sorry FILO.. I would have answered sooner but its been a hecktic day :).. I figured it would pop up on the news sites eventually.. apparently the Bengals arent going to announce it till tommorrow or something though.

hot pickle
04-25-2005, 10:51 PM
Browner signed with Denver...
good to know, i just wanted this guy to get into the pro's :woot . atleast it was with the broncos. i don't mind the broncos.

texansfan88
04-25-2005, 10:51 PM
http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-18/111440891739980.xml
Thanks thats all I needed. I called Jelani when I saw you had posted that and he reminded me that they took Eric Guichac (Center from Eastern Michigan) yesterday as well...so i wasnt sure if you got the team wrong or something

Grid
04-25-2005, 11:05 PM
Well.. just to give this thread some closure

looks like we didnt trade him.. but that when we release him tommorrow he will most likely sign with the Boys.

texasguy346
04-25-2005, 11:07 PM
Well.. just to give this thread some closure

looks like we didnt trade him.. but that when we release him tommorrow he will most likely sign with the Boys.

If there is anything good about this scenario it's that we won't have to see him playing against the Texans this season. I wish him luck with the Cowboys.

Rovator
04-25-2005, 11:08 PM
That sucks. He was playing really well at the end of last year, I wish we could of gotten something, even a 3rd or 4th for him.

Wolf
04-25-2005, 11:12 PM
I am still baffled by the front office to give away above average players for nothing... I mean heck,I don't recall us being in cap *****... is there an advantage to just releasing a player instead of trading?
besides the team that picks the player up is getting a bargain.

SESupergenius
04-25-2005, 11:13 PM
Can this get any worse? I think Wong is too old.

D-ReK
04-25-2005, 11:14 PM
Can this get any worse? I think Wong is too old.

So is Andre...Let's cut him...

texansfan88
04-25-2005, 11:17 PM
maybe they're just trying to sell more jerseys?

You never see them cut a guy like Fred Weary? WHY? they dont make Fred Weary jerseys..

who's next? andre?

SA Fan
04-25-2005, 11:26 PM
maybe they are using the time-tested methond of tossing darts over their sholders at names of players on a board behind them.

Maybe tomorrow we'll hear about David Carr being given permission to seek a trade because he complained about the consistency of the jello in the cafeteria...

Ibar_Harry
04-25-2005, 11:50 PM
You might think its a joke, but I would not be surprised if David is next. At some point is he going to get tired of taking the bashings. End result will be criticism and then its goodbye.

The way this will probably play out, because management always protects management is that Capers will be gone at the end of this season and Casserly the following. This team has flat imploded. I don't thing my original projections for what this team will do is wrong. This could be flat out depressing for Texans fans. By the way we might well see AG when we play Dallas in the preseason.

I was watching the news conference and the body language of Capers was amazing when asked about Glenn. I think they are at a loss for words - Capers and Casserly. I really don't think Casserly knew how bad things were. I truely believe Sharpers comments last season were the tip of the iceburg. I have been saying for a long time that things were not well in the Texan's household and I think that is even more true now.

This team is being run by a micro-manager and a numbers man who does not understand qualitative analysis as well as quantitative analysis. That's why he takes copious notes and never sees the broad picture during the game. His head is always in his notes and he doesn't see the big picture. That's why he was suckered into the O-line change and I believe that did the Texans in. If you remember it was only if we had executed. I think the players saw and knew what the problems were and that it was never going to work. But there is no way you could tell Capers that. I maintain he has a style of ball he is trying to play and Casserly is drafting players based on a different set of parameters which has resulted in trying to fit square pegs in round holes. It just didn't work and Capers has tunnel vision and knows only one way to play the game and can not diviate from that standard. That's why NE is what they are and we are what we are.

keyfro
04-25-2005, 11:53 PM
this is nuts...can't we even get a back up o-lineman in return for him...this is silly...sometimes it makes you wonder about casserly and capers...give up a solid player just because he's a few years older than you'd like

Ibar_Harry
04-26-2005, 12:01 AM
No, its not nuts. I think Casserly is in as much shock as the rest of us all though he will never admit it. This has the look of Casserly being fed a line by Capers and Casserly had little direct input from the players and total trust of Capers.

SESupergenius
04-26-2005, 12:07 AM
That may be a little overboard. This team was still 7-9 last year and should have been at least 9-7. They are still competitive and can play with anybody....except for the Browns. There have been some bad decisions in this draft, but a couple of good ones. Right now with all the changes and further lack of leadership, I think we will stumble, but still be respectable.

Rosusu
04-26-2005, 12:25 AM
This is probably the worst move this franchise has ever made. This whole offseason has gotten us some good new additions but gave up quality starters that were still under contract for NOTHING!!!!! You really have to scratch your head at some of these moves.

Blake
04-26-2005, 12:28 AM
is there an advantage to just releasing a player instead of trading?
besides the team that picks the player up is getting a bargain.

Im sure there are some perks to just giving up the player. I think thats how the NFL judges giving suplimentary picks. The more guys you lose without compensation, IE draft picks or another player, the higher, or more pick(s) the NFL will give you. Im not sure, but that could be the reason. Also it may hit the cap different since the player wants to leave, and we dont just boot him out. Anyone know?

tacoman_j
04-26-2005, 12:31 AM
Why is he going to Bid D?? He is going to be in exactly the same position here as over there. They have two starting corners, and he'll have to play nickel as would here. This makes no sense. Plus, he won't get paid nearly what he's making here. This whole situation really sucks!!!

DocBar
04-26-2005, 12:32 AM
too funny dang funny

texasguy346
04-26-2005, 12:35 AM
He has a chance to start in Dallas. Henry is his main competition, and he's already a Parcell's guy.

D-ReK
04-26-2005, 12:35 AM
Maybe because he's from Houston and wants to stay close to home...

dirty steve
04-26-2005, 12:36 AM
the girls are paying henry money to be their starting CB.

THEFUTURE
04-26-2005, 12:38 AM
also all these releases could be a very good thing in year 5 of the 5 year plan, maybe after dumping all this money, some FA next year we will be able to make a run at, who knows... and Ibar, how in the hell would you know what this is, you got some secret informer that lets you in on some secrets, or are you just another fan that has no clue what is really going on, so you want to put the blame on Capers, even if its not his fault, only because its known that you dont like capers and never have. so im not really listening to much you have to say on it, since you pretty much have your own agenda

tacoman_j
04-26-2005, 12:40 AM
10 million dollars says that Henry is the starter on opening day. Glenn could have played a reduced role here. This is all about ego; elite athletes are the last ones to believe that they have lost a step. Let him wallow in Dallas. At least we will crush the Mavericks. Go Rocks!!!

michaelm
04-26-2005, 12:41 AM
Im sure there are some perks to just giving up the player. I think thats how the NFL judges giving suplimentary picks. The more guys you lose without compensation, IE draft picks or another player, the higher, or more pick(s) the NFL will give you. Im not sure, but that could be the reason. Also it may hit the cap different since the player wants to leave, and we dont just boot him out. Anyone know?

I don't think they get any picks... I think the thing is that since the release is unconditional, the contract is completely void, and doesn't apply to the cap anymore. Can any one confirm this or elaborate on it? It should mean that we will be out from under Sharper and Glens $ immediately. I'm not sure, however... I'm sure there will be a response to this from someone with more knowlege of the workings of the cap.

DocBar
04-26-2005, 12:42 AM
also all these releases could be a very good thing in year 5 of the 5 year plan, maybe after dumping all this money, some FA next year we will be able to make a run at, who knows... and Ibar, how in the hell would you know what this is, you got some secret informer that lets you in on some secrets, or are you just another fan that has no clue what is really going on, so you want to put the blame on Capers, even if its not his fault, only because its known that you dont like capers and never have. so im not really listening to much you have to say on it, since you pretty much have your own agenda
WOW!!! Somebody else remembers 5 YEAR PLAN!!!!!!! Dear Lord, for the draft picks we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful!!!!! I just got religion!!!!

michaelm
04-26-2005, 12:43 AM
also, if the scenario I mentioned in my previous post is true, then there may be more cap room available this season than we did before the releases. It seems like a long shot, but maybe they have a trade in mind that requires more cap space???

Vinny
04-26-2005, 12:44 AM
This is a cap move. All his money is being cleared off the books.

Glenn, 32, became the second-highest paid player on the roster following the release of linebacker Jamie Sharper. Glenn had been scheduled to make base salaries of $4 million in 2005, $4.25 million in 2006, and $5.5 million in 2007. The team will assume his remaining $3.5 million in unamortized bonus money as dead space on the 2005 salary cap. http://www.houstonprofootball.com/

hot pickle
04-26-2005, 12:46 AM
yah i have to agree, I think glenn felt that the texans were trying to replace him with PB and glenn thinks he will be great till he is 40

good job Rockets (nice shot T-Mac) :thumbup

Vinny
04-26-2005, 12:46 AM
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3153008

TexansTrueFan
04-26-2005, 12:48 AM
WOW got rid of AG, gonna suck when we play dallas in 06 i dont wanna see glenn in a dallas jersey :(. I hope our front office has a plan in mind.

jacquescas
04-26-2005, 12:49 AM
I mean we got Buchanon so i'm not upset, but it seems we didn't really upgrade the position, just got younger, not bad, but not great for the number of picks we gave up to do that.

michaelm
This is a cap move. All his money is being cleared off the books.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/

SO, the team benefits this season by a net 500,00? His scheduled $4 mil versus the $3.5 mil in dead space?

TEXANS84
He's going to a full house up in Dallas as well.
Seems like his role here would have been the same as what he's going to encounter up there.
That leads me to believe that bridges were burned down here, unfortunatley.

TexanFanInCC
04-26-2005, 12:52 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2046293

if we let aaron glenn seek a deal, then gary walker should go also now that we have travis johnson. its obvious that casserly wants to get faster, meaner, and younger on defense and parting ways with g-funk makes perfect sense seeing as how glenn will be gone and sharper and foreman are gone also. seth payne also?? u never know...

D-ReK
04-26-2005, 12:53 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2046293

if we let aaron glenn seek a deal, then gary walker should go also now that we have travis johnson. seth payne also?? u never know...

Payne signed a deal this offseason...Surely we won't cut him...

Vinny
04-26-2005, 12:54 AM
SO, the team benefits this season by a net 500,00? His scheduled $4 mil versus the $3.5 mil in dead space?I'm sure most of it is aimed at next year where his cap hit was banging the cap a around 5 mil. I'll have to ask somebody but I think that by releasing him now we can absorb the cap hit this year and we have no negative effect in next years cap.

michaelm
04-26-2005, 12:55 AM
man, if this keeps up, McKinney is the one who's next... $3,150,000 base salary this year... maybe they will get him to restructure... or maybe we'll be starting a second day rookie this season @ C... :rolleyes:

TEXANS84
04-26-2005, 12:58 AM
I wonder how Marcus Coleman feels about this. He's played with Glenn for years from the Jets, down to the Texans.

michaelm
04-26-2005, 12:58 AM
I'm sure most of it is aimed at next year where his cap hit was banging the cap a around 5 mil. I'll have to ask somebody but I think that by releasing him now we can absorb the cap hit this year and we have no negative effect in next years cap.

I will say one thing, CC and Cass are loading up on cap space for a run at the 5th year of the five year plan by the wayy things look. That's not such a bad thing. Wonder who next years UFA are likely to be. Any idea where I can access such info?

TexansTrueFan
04-26-2005, 12:59 AM
yall think D-Rob is gonna be upset glenn is gone since he was so high on him as a player and menior ?

michaelm
04-26-2005, 01:02 AM
yall think D-Rob is gonna be upset glenn is gone since he was so high on him as a player and menior ?
I'm sure there are feelings, but being a young guy, he's probably excited about playing with young playmakers like Buchanan.

D-ReK
04-26-2005, 01:02 AM
I will say one thing, CC and Cass are loading up on cap space for a run at the 5th year of the five year plan by the wayy things look. That's not such a bad thing. Wonder who next years UFA are likely to be. Any idea where I can access such info?

We're gonna make a run at an average player from the Dolphins and throw a lot of money at him...Seth McKinney maybe?

TexansTrueFan
04-26-2005, 01:04 AM
I'm sure there are feelings, but being a young guy, he's probably excited about playing with young playmakers like Buchanan.

i dunno i would like to hear how D-Rob feels about the whole situation.

michaelm
04-26-2005, 01:05 AM
We're gonna make a run at an average player from the Dolphins and throw a lot of money at him...Seth McKinney maybe?
I can see where you're going with the average player comment, and you may be right, but I will just have to see how Greenwood plays in our scheme. Surely, the teams scouts know more than me about it, so I will let it go, and see if they are right...

TexansTrueFan
04-26-2005, 01:07 AM
well i think we have a very good Front Office and i'm gonna assume they know what they are doing, and feel they are giving us the best chance to win in 05.

D-ReK
04-26-2005, 01:07 AM
I can see where you're going with the average player comment, and you may be right, but I will just have to see how Greenwood plays in our scheme. Surely, the teams scouts know more than me about it, so I will let it go, and see if they are right...

I agree...I was being semi-Chicken Little-ish, but that's kinda hard to convey through a message board...Don't forget about Todd Wade, though...We've thrown big money at a Dolphins free agent two years in a row...

TexansTrueFan
04-26-2005, 01:10 AM
lol i thought we had a nice wanna keep everyone around kinda staff, i guess they all showed us they will do whatever it takes to win.

michaelm
04-26-2005, 01:10 AM
I haven't been very vocal about it, but I have stood in silent agreement with the LB releases and can see what they are intending with the AG release, but I do admit that it seems like a very strange chain of events. The optimistic side of me can't help but think that there is a method behind the madness. I will not be suprised if there is a significaant trade or other transaction of some kind before this season. I don't have any specific scenarios in mind , but I can't help but think there is another move in the works somehow... I'm not predicting anything mind you, just saying that I won't be at all suprised.

keyfro
04-26-2005, 01:14 AM
our defense is gonna look a lot different next year...right now we are looking at having 4 maybe 5 new starters on defense...wong moving inside, peek starting, greenwood, buchanan, and maybe travis johnson over walker

no will that transmitt into a better defense...we'll have to find out...personally i think we're gonna go from 21th overall to 20th overall...i think the speed added will help but a lot of this moves will have a learning curve at the beginning of the season

michaelm
04-26-2005, 01:18 AM
personally, i think it will be exciting to watch. I cant saythat the d will be improved, but I do predict that it will be more fun to watch. I'm tired of the bend but don't break feeling that i get with our d... especially when it breaks too often. I wan't to see the attacking kind of d that i expected when capers was named coach. I think the speed will be cut loose...!

Grid
04-26-2005, 01:52 AM
These changes were going to come evenutally. Yah.. I would have liked to see Sharper and Glenn retire here too.. but really..they were never "OUR PLAYERS" to beging with.. they were drafted and played the bulk of their careers with other teams.

The real loyalty to the Texans is going to come from David Carr, Jason Babin, Dunta Robinson, Andre Johnson, Domanick Davis, and the rest of the players were drafted by us.

Right now.. As much as I hate to see some great guys leaving.. I see the necessity of it, and even if it sets us back this year (which it MAY.. but it will also take us a step in the right direction for the future of this franchise) I am also looking at how this will benefit us.

Next season we should be well under the cap, and should also have most all of our starters returning, and young. We will undoubtably receive compensatory picks for the loss of Glenn, Foreman, and Sharper as well.. and at least one of them will probably be a 3rd rounder.

We will have the cap space to make one or two big acquistions in the offseason, and if we come as far this year as we are hoping we will.. they will be the kind of players that will put us over the top and make us a shoe in for the playoffs.

These are hard, but good, moves. We are gearing up for a big impact in the 2005-2006 an 2006-2007 season.

michaelm
04-26-2005, 02:07 AM
We will undoubtably receive compensatory picks for the loss of Glenn, Foreman, and Sharper as well.. and at least one of them will probably be a 3rd rounder.

There was discussion over compensatory picks earlier, and no one could say for sure if we are entitled to them. Do you know enough about the subject to say that we will get some picks, or are you guessing? I don't really know myself, but would definately like to hear from you on the subject if you know for sure...

Ibar_Harry
04-26-2005, 02:10 AM
These are hard, but good, moves. We are gearing up for a big impact in the 2005-2006 an 2006-2007 season.

Then it will be gearing up for a big impact in 2007-2008 and on. Probably Capers saying if they would only execute.

Had to say that, but I believe Capers is gone by next season......

G-Man
04-26-2005, 02:16 AM
Far as I understand it is that if a team signs you to a contract and you make the roster, the other team will get compensation picks. That is the only thing that makes sense to me, on why they are letting all of the veterans go. One thing that they are worth more now than next year or the year after.

Grid
04-26-2005, 02:23 AM
No I dont know enough about compensation picks.

All i know is that if you lose starters, and do not get anything for them.. then you are awarded compensation picks. I would think that Glenn Sharper and Foreman fit the bill.

Ibar.. you need to become a Patriots fan or something :). Im surprised you even allowed us to lose a single game in 2002 without yelling "FIRE CAPERS!" . God forbid we are not a dynasty by year 4 right?

Grid
04-26-2005, 02:30 AM
in my search for explainations of Compensatory picks.. i found this good article.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/football/nfl/11443643.htm

BTW.. as this article says.. Compensatory picks are awarded to teams that lose more FAs than they sign. So, since we replaced Glenn with Buchanan and Sharper with Greenwood, We probably wouldnt get anything for them. Foreman, we did not replace with anyone.. so we might get something for him. Though i dunno if some of our other FA signings that werent LBs would negate that.

D-ReK
04-26-2005, 02:33 AM
LINK (http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8314832)

Under terms of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in a year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.

The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents up to a maximum of four. The 32 compensatory choices announced will supplement the 223 choices in the seven rounds of the 2005 NFL Draft (April 23-24). This year, the compensatory picks will be positioned within the third through seventh rounds based on the value of the compensatory free agents lost.

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

Long story short, I think that if a player's contract expires, then the player subsequently signs with another team, the player's previous team is eligible for compensation...If you release a player, I don't think you are eligible to collect any comp. picks...

Grid
04-26-2005, 02:37 AM
Yep I just found a similar explaination. Oh well :P.. no compensatory picks for us.

Texan in Japan
04-26-2005, 06:44 AM
I haven't been very vocal about it, but I have stood in silent agreement with the LB releases and can see what they are intending with the AG release, but I do admit that it seems like a very strange chain of events. The optimistic side of me can't help but think that there is a method behind the madness. I will not be suprised if there is a significaant trade or other transaction of some kind before this season. I don't have any specific scenarios in mind , but I can't help but think there is another move in the works somehow... I'm not predicting anything mind you, just saying that I won't be at all suprised.

The salary cap sucks! At least when it forces moves like this. AG is a class guy and would be valuable next year, esp if we have any injuries.

nunusguy
04-26-2005, 07:05 AM
Its all business, but still it is difficult to accept.
And something really odd about this picture is Sharper and Glenn now gone
or going, but G.Walker still here. But with rookie TJ now in the picture, GW to has to be moving on soon.
Since Glenn is going to play else where I'm glad its with the Arlington Cowboys. He won't have to be too far from home & family plus many of us personally now have a player on the Cowboys to root for since we have the
Cowboy games (whether we want them or not), here in Houston as the NFC end of the Sunday games.

O.G.
04-26-2005, 07:09 AM
I agree...I was being semi-Chicken Little-ish, but that's kinda hard to convey through a message board...Don't forget about Todd Wade, though...We've thrown big money at a Dolphins free agent two years in a row...

YEah, and he as done nothing more than Greg Randall did the year before and the Texans could have gotten him for half the price and had the same ranking in free agency. Why pay that for one when you could have gotten two descent guys for the same price.

Errant Hothy
04-26-2005, 07:57 AM
Dallas Radio, the Ticket, just said that it is in the works and that Glenn would bethe nickle corner for teh Cowboys, same role he had hear. Were the old guys told that they need to step up their games or leave, and Capers and Casserly feel they didn't? What gets me is that he'll be playing the same thenickel in Dallas, same role he was projested to play for Houston; unless Faggins is the nickle and Glenn was going to be the most expensive dime package CB in the history of the NFL.

Here's hoping Hoke can work his magic on Buchanon.

SheTexan
04-26-2005, 08:08 AM
many of us personally now have a player on the Cowboys to root for since we have the
Cowboy games (whether we want them or not), here in Houston as the NFC end of the Sunday games.

I wouldn't pull for the cowgirls if my grandson played for them!

Tailgate
04-26-2005, 08:13 AM
Am I the ONLY one who thought Glenns play was slipping last year? He just seemed old to me. Every time I focused on him he just looked like he was a step behind every time.

Maybe its just me.

uhcougar08
04-26-2005, 08:19 AM
Am I the ONLY one who thought Glenns play was slipping last year? He just seemed old to me. Every time I focused on him he just looked like he was a step behind every time.

Maybe its just me.

But the question is: Would he have been better staying one more year (to teach PB) or is PB ready to rock?

Tailgate
04-26-2005, 08:22 AM
But the question is: Would he have been better staying one more year (to teach PB) or is PB ready to rock?

Well.... you pretty much nailed why they chose PB over a corner in the draft,etc. He has had 2 years in the league and brings some experience over anyone we could have drafted...and they said PB was rated higher than anyone on the CB board this year. So he is ready.

PLUS.. we are clearing cap room for FAgent runs next year.

Sounds good to me.

OzzO
04-26-2005, 08:31 AM
Some questions answered in the chronic (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3153328)

...Texans coach Dom Capers met with Glenn the day the Buchanon trade was completed and gave Glenn the option of staying with the Texans, possibly in a reduced role, or exploring options with other teams.

Although at least two other teams were believed to be interested in Glenn, Dallas would seem to be a good fit. Glenn played for Cowboys coach Bill Parcells from 1997-1999 when both were with the New York Jets, and Dallas represents a destination not so far from home for the Nimitz High School and Texas A&M product....

...It is uncertain exactly when the Texans will release Glenn, who signed a five-year, $26 million contract extension in 2002. But when they do, it will save the team about $1.1 million on the 2005 salary cap. If they make the move before June 1 — and in all likelihood, they will — Glenn will be completely off the books for 2006 and beyond.

One of the Texans' top offseason priorities was to get younger and faster, especially on defense, where they have been a predominantly veteran team. Glenn will be 33 when the season begins. In Buchanon and Dunta Robinson, both of whom are 24, the Texans believe they have a pair of talented young cornerbacks.

Although the Texans would have more quality depth at the position with Glenn on the roster, the team also has high hopes for Demarcus Faggins, a 2002 sixth-round pick who was used extensively in the nickel package last season....

...Injuries limited Glenn to only 11 games in 2003, but he bounced back with a solid season in 2004, intercepting five passes and serving as a mentor for Robinson, the team's first pick in the 2004 draft. ...

Texanshot
04-26-2005, 08:54 AM
well, aaron glenn is a very good player but we can't keep everybody unfortunately. our backs are pretty talented so it doesn't bother me to much that he was traded...but he is going to the cowboys.....SORRY, anyone else but them....gross...

:loser

WWJD
04-26-2005, 09:04 AM
well, aaron glenn is a very good player but we can't keep everybody unfortunately. our backs are pretty talented so it doesn't bother me to much that he was traded...but he is going to the cowboys.....SORRY, anyone else but them....gross...

He's not being traded. He'll be released and then signed by the Cowboys. Some papers are reporting it's a done deal.

chuckm
04-26-2005, 09:11 AM

better them than the "gulp" Titans or Jags .....

Marcus
04-26-2005, 09:11 AM
I don't see how any of you think this is anything more than dumping a salary of a 33 year old player who is in decline. It is cap managment in today's stark reality of the salary cap/free agency NFL. Sentimentality and blind loyalty to players will only get you left behind. If you think that Capers and Casserly enjoyed doing this to AG, then you don't appreciate the difficult decisions that they sometimes have to make. I, for one, am glad that both Capers and Casserly have the guts to make decisions that they both know will be highly unpopular. But like I said before with DJ thing, they don't have the time, or the money to waste on popularity contests.

Glenn was going to make $4 million in 2005, $4.25 million in 2006, and $5.5 million in 2007, when he was going to be 35 years old. He was getting injured a lot last year. His age is already beginning to show. He clearly did not deserve that kind of money. Releasing him now saves $1.1 million on the 2005 cap, and they will owe him nothing for 2006 and beyond.

Get used to this. Gary Walker and Steve McKinney are next, and I can't wait for that to happen, because they don't deserve the money that they are making either.

And uh . . Ibar Harry . . . you wouldn't have the slightest idea what the "big picture" was if it was put in front of you in high definition. :thumbdown

WWJD
04-26-2005, 09:16 AM
I think they're stuck with Walker. I'm not sure where I read it but it'd be a huge cap hit for them to get rid of him.

Marcus
04-26-2005, 09:23 AM
I think they're stuck with Walker. I'm not sure where I read it but it'd be a huge cap hit for them to get rid of him.

I read it, too. But both of them should know that 2005 will be the last year for them.

TexanFanInCC
04-26-2005, 09:30 AM
well i think we have a very good Front Office and i'm gonna assume they know what they are doing, and feel they are giving us the best chance to win in 05.

i agree. i think theres something about buchanon, johnson, and greenwood that we dont quite know.

nunusguy
04-26-2005, 09:33 AM
Did not say I would be pulling for the Cowboys, said I would have a player
to root for on the Cowboys team.
But since you mentioned it, don't understand the attitude towards the Cowboys because we only play them once every 3 or 4 years. I'm basically neutral about the team soon to be up in Arlington. I save my attitude for
our real nemesis which is our division rivals: they are the ones who stand between us and the playoffs more than any other team or teams.

barzilla
04-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Of course, those of you calling for him to be traded for an O-lineman need to remember that we will save money on this. If we combine that with the money saved from Sharper and Foreman we have enough to get a player if a good one comes available after June 1st.

uhcougar08
04-26-2005, 09:40 AM
Did not say I would be pulling for the Cowboys, said I would have a player
to root for on the Cowboys team.
But since you mentioned it, don't understand the attitude towards the Cowboys because we only play them once every 3 or 4 years. I'm basically neutral about the team soon to be up in Arlington. I save my attitude for
our real nemesis which is our division rivals: they are the ones who stand between us and the playoffs more than any other team or teams.

I lived there and didn't care for the people and thier stuck up attitudes, the cowboys represent them and there town, so thats why i love to hate them, put I do love watching Dat Nguyen!

cuppacoffee
04-26-2005, 09:50 AM

:) I couldn't pull for them if I played for them.

infantrycak
04-26-2005, 09:55 AM

There is a weird split in the state IMO. Up in Dallas, they either don't care about the Oilers/Texans or will root for them except when playing the Cowboys. Down here the priority is (1) for the Oilers/Texans to win and (2) for the Cowboys to lose--sometimes I am not sure they aren't actually reversed. Bizarre IMO, but it is quite evident it won't ever change.

nunusguy
04-26-2005, 10:09 AM
I lived there and didn't care for the people and thier stuck up attitudes, the cowboys represent them and there town, so thats why i love to hate them, put I do love watching Dat Nguyen!
I've had the opportunity to see quite a bit of this country, and let me tell you that DFW is nothing like Seattle, or LA, or Denver, or Boston, or the SF Bay
Area, or Manhatten, or Chicago - get the picture ? The place that it is most of all like is that other very large metro area in Texas on the Gulf Coast. One is land locked praire country and the other is coastal praire country. The cultures are basically the same. Couple brothers (maybe not twins, but certainly very similar siblings), who are very competitive.
Oh yea, and theres the summer weather - the summers are horribly hot and
humid to be sure - in N.Texas. And yea, they are probably even worse in Houston.

JustBonee
04-26-2005, 10:22 AM
I've looked at the Cowboys from many angles in this country .. my view has always been consistent..
Living in Cleveland ..hated em
Living in Phoenix .. hated em
Now in Houston .. still hate em :)

Oh! and briefly from Baton Rouge .. hated them from there too!

Marcus
04-26-2005, 10:33 AM
I started hating them when I moved to Houston in 1967. Was in the eighth grade at the time. It just pissed me off to no end that when I turned on Channel 11 on Sunday, it was a Cowboy game every cotton pickin fricken week.

Now, later on in 1967, there was a Cowboy game on that I thoroughly enjoyed. As a matter of fact, going through my memory banks, it was probably the most enjoyable game I ever watched. It was the Ice Bowl, watching my favorite quarterback Bart Starr sneaking it into the endzone with 13 seconds left.

GOD! That was soooo ****in sweet!

Hervoyel
04-26-2005, 10:42 AM
I used to hate the Cowboys, I really don't much anymore. My attention is focused on the Texans and the Cowboys are pretty much beneath my notice unless we're playing them. I enjoy seeing the Cowboys lose then of course.

I think that in a vague sense I still like to see the Texans win more games than the Cowboys (and obviously the Titans) but I don't spend much time thinking about it. I notice it but it doesn't define how good or bad the season was to me.

TexAntagonise
04-26-2005, 10:52 AM
I know this is off topic, but I can't resist a chance to vent on the Cowboys. Here is how my hatred of the Cowboys started. When I was a young boy my mom told me you root for the HOME team. Since Houston was 80 miles to the west, that would make them the home team. It seamed that every time the Oilers played the Cowboys I was the only person rooting for the Oilers. :hmmm: Now why was that? AHHHhhh I learned later it was the old thing called the Bandwagon. This was back when the Cowboys were making there Super Bowl runs. (70's) As I got older and started reading the local paper. I noticed that the Cowboys would have an article about double the size of the Oilers. :thumbdown And the third strike!!! "AMERICA'S TEAM" I never voted on this.

Errant Hothy
04-26-2005, 10:57 AM
Latest views out of Dallas are that they think he had a decent year last year, but his age is still a question; and that he only works of if accepts the nickle role. Also going ot depend on teh money, but the Boys have plenty of cap space.

I hate to see AG go, but then again an 11 yr vetrean at CB starts to become a bit worriesome.

jr0ck
04-26-2005, 11:18 AM
i think these very insightful qoutes sum up this situation nicely and should be reiterated for certain user's...*cough*Ibar "the sky is falling" Harry*cough*...

Originally Posted by tacoman_j
Glenn could have played a reduced role here. This is all about ego; elite athletes are the last ones to believe that they have lost a step.

agreed 100%. remember just a few weeks ago everyone was surprised sharper took the seattle deal at alot less than he seemed to be asking here? i think that reflects the situation with glenn really well.

Originally Posted by Grid
These changes were going to come evenutally. Yah.. I would have liked to see Sharper and Glenn retire here too.. but really..they were never "OUR PLAYERS" to beging with.. they were drafted and played the bulk of their careers with other teams.

The real loyalty to the Texans is going to come from David Carr, Jason Babin, Dunta Robinson, Andre Johnson, Domanick Davis, and the rest of the players were drafted by us.

great perspective on the situation and i again agree 100% :thumbup the situation the texans are in is almost like the recruiting situation when hiring a new college coach. they come in and make due with what they have, but try to get their guys in as quickly as possible to build their vision of the team.

Originally Posted by Tailgate

Maybe its just me.

no it's not just you, i specifically remember as early as the detroit game thinking to myself "glenn is almost done". it's hard to see when it's outwardly apparent to fans that such a good palyer's days are numbered doing what he loves, but it makes it even harder when the player doesn't see it yet.

and everyone remember, pride seems to be a major factor in all of our vet's skipping town, this is not CC/caper's running them off without options or reasons. if anything CC/caper's should be applauded for the respect they showed glenn/sharper/foreman by giving them permission to shop themselves around and not stick them somewhere against their wishes. i think that shows the true class of our organization by acting in a very candid and genuine fashion to help player's who have helped build the texan's from ground zero. all break-ups suck, but i'll take dignified and respectful break-ups as opposed to the opposite (owens leaving SF, dillion whining his way out of cincy, moss' disgruntled departure from the vikes, etc, etc)...stay up all you true texan fans, if these are the lowest low's we've had to endure so far, we seem to have a bright future with this organization :thumbup

MojoMan
04-26-2005, 11:31 AM
and everyone remember, pride seems to be a major factor in all of our vet's skipping town, this is not CC/caper's running them off without options or reasons. if anything CC/caper's should be applauded for the respect they showed glenn/sharper/foreman by giving them permission to shop themselves around and not stick them somewhere against their wishes. i think that shows the true class of our organization by acting in a very candid and genuine fashion to help player's who have helped build the texan's from ground zero. all break-ups suck, but i'll take dignified and respectful break-ups as opposed to the opposite (owens leaving SF, dillion whining his way out of cincy, moss' disgruntled departure from the vikes, etc, etc)...stay up all you true texan fans, if these are the lowest low's we've had to endure so far, we seem to have a bright future with this organization

Jrock,

That's a great take. The best I have seen so far. I hope a lot of people read this, because it is spot on. :thumbup

Nawzer
04-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Phillip Buchanon better be all that and a bag of chips!

jr0ck
04-26-2005, 11:41 AM
appreciate it Mojo, just trying to spread the good word! i don't know about half this board but i enjoy having a football team back in h-town, and the fact they are worth rooting for is the greatest thing since sliced bread!

TexansNeedRBin05
04-26-2005, 11:46 AM

Yes he better be or I am gonna be mad! :woot Might need to change my name to TexansneedDin06 :wacko:

StarStruck
04-26-2005, 11:54 AM
wow.... uhhhhh we just let one of our best players walk w/o getting anything for him.

Generally in the business world if someone is encouraged to seek other options, it means that you are fired. IMO, Glenn didn't just walk, he could leave voluntarily with a few kind words, or out right cut. It became apparant over the weekend that he didn't fit into the Texans long range plans. Sounds harsh, but that's nature of the business.

I hope everything works well for him. I guess in support of him, I could wear my really nice authentic jersey to a Cowboys game. :cool:

TexAntagonise
04-26-2005, 11:55 AM
Before we go to bashing A. Glenn lets take a look at this form a little different angle. If your boss came up to you and said we hired this new guy to do your job. He didn't out perform you. (Oakland had NINE INT's last year.) So we want you to take a pay cut. How would you react? Would look for another job? Lets look where the REAL problem is. The Texans finished dead last in sacks last year. Only 24 times did we put the other teams QB on his backside.

jr0ck
04-26-2005, 11:57 AM
TexansNeedRBin05 you can already change your name to something else. your gonna be delighted to know we currently have five on the preseason roster, and they are as follows:

Jason Anderson
Domanick Davis
Tony Hollings
Adam Matthews
Jonathan Wells

not to mention we drafted Vernand Morency in the 3rd...your wish has been granted and dreams have been realized. you can change your name now thanks in part to CC and Co! :rolleyes: :heh:

O.G.
04-26-2005, 12:02 PM
TexansNeedRBin05 you can already change your name to something else. your gonna be delighted to know we currently have five on the preseason roster, and they are as follows:

Jason Anderson
Domanick Davis
Tony Hollings
Adam Matthews
Jonathan Wells

not to mention we drafted Vernand Morency in the 3rd...your wish has been granted and dreams have been realized. you can change your name now thanks in part to CC and Co! :rolleyes: :heh:

Hey, quick question....Isn't J. Anderson the guy who broke is leg last year? Also, give me more info on Adam Matthews

TexanBacker93
04-26-2005, 12:05 PM
I always like to see the negativity come out when the team makes a move. By the end of the season when everyone realizes it wasn't a mistake to let Sharper, Foreman, and Glenn go all the people who questioned the moves will be saying they were behind it the whole way.

Buchanon right now is a better fit to start than Glenn. Glenn was the best defender in the 1st 2 seasons on a average to below average defense. He is small, doesn't have tremendous hands, gets beat deep, sulks when he gets beat, and is expensive for an average cornerback.

Sharper and Foreman were decent ILBs, but neither is pro bowl caliber. They both got a lot of attention because of the amount of tackles they had. It's a 3-4 defense. They are supposed to get a lot of tackles.

Those 3 weren't going to get better. The defense was too porous last season. Getting younger and better is a good thing and if Gary Walker is next I'll wish him the best, but I support the Texans no matter what they do. Hopefully some of the doomsday prophets will give up their season tickets so I can get more.

jr0ck
04-26-2005, 12:06 PM
this has more info than i can give, the nfl's official houston roster. (http://www.nfl.com/teams/rosters/HOU)

bigbag12
04-26-2005, 12:14 PM
i figured by getting buchannon that we were finally going after INDY. now we are getting rid of glenn. some one plz help me makes sense of this. im :confused: about this

PapaL
04-26-2005, 12:27 PM
this has more info than i can give, the nfl's official houston roster. (http://www.nfl.com/teams/rosters/HOU)
Interesting who wears #31 on the roster...

Txnpride
04-26-2005, 12:32 PM
i figured by getting buchannon that we were finally going after INDY. now we are getting rid of glenn. some one plz help me makes sense of this. im :confused: about thisRotoworld.com states they expect Glenn to sign today with the Cowboys.I figured they would keep him around for one more year.......guess not.He has at least 2 good years in him....he was like a coach on the field to the younger guys.Good luck Glenn...........just not when your playing against the Texans :heh:

rittenhouserobz
04-26-2005, 12:41 PM
AS PB relates to compensatory picks. He was not a FA. He was a trade. This should mean that we may get two picks.

MikeMc
04-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Considering that the Texans cut the following players:

Brown
Sharper
Foreman
Glenn

I'd say the Texans get at least 2 picks for Glenn & Sharper. The formula is based on production, experience & post season awards (Pro-Bowl). I feel that Sharper & Glenn meet these requirements, especially Glenn with the exp & Pro-Bowl. Sharper more so for the production and exp. Glenn might be one of the 3rd/4th rd Comp picks, with Sharper being a 4th/5th rd Comp pick.

So, who will be next?? Hopefully not any of the DL (Walker, Payne, DeLoach)!

Youngstown Colt
04-26-2005, 12:54 PM
hmm, this is good news for colts fans, but I was hoping you wouldn't do this.

Daonly
04-26-2005, 12:56 PM
Texans Release Former Pro Bowl Cornerback Glenn
Clears Room for Recently Acquired CB Buchanon

HOUSTON (April 26) - Cornerback Aaron Glenn, one of the original Houston Texans, was released by the team on Tuesday to clear room for Philip Buchanon, acquired in a trade with Oakland last week.

Coach Dom Capers met with Glenn, a 12-year veteran, shortly after the trade and offered him the option of reduced playing time or the chance to play with another team.

Glenn, who turns 33 in September, becomes the fourth defensive starter for the Texans to leave in the offseason. Inside linebackers Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman and strong safety Eric Brown were released in March, part of the Texans' offseason makeover of a defense that finished in the bottom third of the NFL for a second straight season.

Glenn played with the New York Jets for eight seasons before joining his hometown Texans in the 2002 expansion draft. He was selected to his third Pro Bowl in the team's first year but was limited to only 11 games in 2003 because of various injuries.

He rebounded with a solid season in 2004, intercepting five passes and making 63 tackles while serving as a mentor for Robinson.

04/26/05 13:03 EDT

MojoMan
04-26-2005, 12:56 PM
The Texans team culture is being established through management's actions right before our very eyes.

1. There will be no sacred players who are beyond having to compete for their jobs.
2. The coaches and management will decide who plays, where, and how much.
3. Players who get fat contracts are expected to play up to those contracts. If they do not, Texan's management considers it their responsibility to manage those relationships for the best interests of the franchise.

rockabilly
04-26-2005, 01:19 PM
I feel the Texans are doing what they need to do to succeed. Look where the team has been on defense for the past two seasons. Near the bottom of the NFL. I welcome all the moves Cass and Capers are making.

You have to remember that in the NFL, football is not only a sport - but a business. If you buy a new truck when your 16, then when your 25 you notice its over 100,000 miles and its not as powerful and productive and good on gas as when you bought it, you have to let it go. Sure it hurts cause it was your first truck, but you got to do it.

Why keep Glenn on for moral reasons? We are not here to be a nice team...we are here to be a winning one. Sure in a game like baseball, age doesnt have as hard as an effect. But in a full contact sport like football, age is a biggie.

Remember, our coaches and management are there for a reason....because they know more about the business/game than anyone on this board does.

El Tejano
04-26-2005, 01:29 PM
i figured by getting buchannon that we were finally going after INDY. now we are getting rid of glenn. some one plz help me makes sense of this. im :confused: about this

I agree with the move in terms of moving forward but the above statement is my exact feeling. :confused:

TEXANS84
04-26-2005, 01:34 PM
-- Texans Release Glenn --
Tue Apr 26, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

AP reports the Houston Texans, as expected, have released CB Aaron Glenn.

michaelm
04-26-2005, 01:51 PM

mmmmmm.... chips...

infantrycak
04-26-2005, 01:53 PM
I'd say the Texans get at least 2 picks for Glenn & Sharper. The formula is based on production, experience & post season awards (Pro-Bowl). I feel that Sharper & Glenn meet these requirements, especially Glenn with the exp & Pro-Bowl. Sharper more so for the production and exp. Glenn might be one of the 3rd/4th rd Comp picks, with Sharper being a 4th/5th rd Comp pick.

So, who will be next?? Hopefully not any of the DL (Walker, Payne, DeLoach)!

You do not get compensatory picks for players you release, only players who leave through free agency. Sharper, Foreman, Brown and Glenn will not bring us any compensatory picks.

D-Rob23
04-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Glenn's Leadership will be missed around here... Question now becomes who becomes the leader???

A Moment for Aaron Glenn (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/aggiefan/2d6ce5fa.jpg)

michaelm
04-26-2005, 01:57 PM
Before we go to bashing A. Glenn lets take a look at this form a little different angle. If your boss came up to you and said we hired this new guy to do your job. He didn't out perform you. (Oakland had NINE INT's last year.) So we want you to take a pay cut. How would you react? Would look for another job? Lets look where the REAL problem is. The Texans finished dead last in sacks last year. Only 24 times did we put the other teams QB on his backside.

The analogy is flawed... suppose your boss told you that he was bringing in a guy who had alot more potential than you; was young enough to do it for many, many more years than you; and that he cost literally a fraction of what you cost to do it?

Like Jay Mohr says in Jerry McGuire... "It aint show friends, it's show business"

:)

wags
04-26-2005, 02:00 PM
Glenn's Leadership will be missed around here... Question now becomes who becomes the leader???

That's easy- Dunta Robinson.

michaelm
04-26-2005, 02:00 PM
Hopefully some of the doomsday prophets will give up their season tickets so I can get more.

You are absolutely brilliant!!! I am going to start a major negativity campaign encouraging fans to sell their season tickets so I can snap them up... If I generate some extras, I'll send 'em your way!
:)

Porky
04-26-2005, 02:01 PM
This whole thing has been botched to the highest degree. I don't care what kind of spin the Texans or the fans put on this. Basically, what we did was trade PB for three players. While admitting that the draft is a bit of a crapshoot, let's take a look at how the draft could have gone for us. In round two, Khaliff Barnes was available. He was a steal in rd 2. We could have put him at LT, and solved that problem for the next decade, after at most, a one yr grooming process. Wand becomes quality depth at LT and RT. In round three, Kevin Everett was available. A young pass catching TE with good upside, who at worst would provide quality depth, and insurance against Joppru's issues. Or, we could have gone with a young corner to groom behind Glenn. Instead, we lose Glenn, Everett, and Barnes, (or thier equivelent) and replaced him with PB, a young speedy corner with a penhent for gambling and losing. While this trade clearly does upgrade our return game, can anyone HONESTLY say that somehow this is a better football team with PB vs. those three?

The level of ineptitude with this deal has been alarming. Capers tells us that he talked to Glenn BEFORE the trade, and that Glenn had a positive attitude about it, and was ready to compete. So, who is the liar here. Did Glenn lie to the Texans? Did the Texans lie to Glenn or us? Someone is not telling the truth here. Secondly, we were told that they paid a somewhat steep price to get PB because this allowed the Texans to match up with the three WR sets employed by the Colts and others with three excellent corners. How are we appreciably better off now then before the trade in regards to that. While PB has more speed at this stage of their careers, AG is also a wily vet, who has the experience and know how that PB does not have yet. Also, one reason many of us didn't mind bringing in a malcontent like PB was because he would have someone the calibur of AG to mentor and tutor him. Additionally, Dunta himself mentioned how having AG there was a huge help to his game. AG was like a coach on the field as well. Does PB bring these same qualities to the Texans? I don't think so. Last point is that even if AG requested his release does not mean we have to grant it the next day. Do the inmates run the aslyum here. AG had 4 million reasons to return. We could have simply told him to butch up, and complete on the field like a man. I seriousely doubt that he would have been a major problem once he was on the field, but if it ever got to the point that it was a major distraction, the Texans could have tried to make a trade at that point, or even released him in camp. Why now? Why the speed of this transaction? There is more here than meets the eye.

All in all, this offseason has been a total disaster. We have lost as much, and maybe more, than we have gained. We have helped our return game immensely, and the defense has gained foot speed, but lost depth and leadership. I don't see the 5 yr plan. If this is thier plan, then their plan stinks. If I were Mcnair, this deal would send me over the edge. :thumbdown

Dime
04-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Texans | Glenn Cut - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:53:33 -0700

HoustonTexans.com reports the Houston Texans have released CB Aaron Glenn.

PapaL
04-26-2005, 02:11 PM
ESPN announced it:Glenn Released (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2046742)

Nawzer
04-26-2005, 02:14 PM
I thought the whole PB trade was to bring in another quality corner who will take over A.G.'s spot eventually. As you all know we need 3 quality corners in our division because the Colts have 3 receivers who went over the 1000 yd mark this past season. With A.G. gone DeMarcus Faggins becomes our nickel corner and although he's a good player I would've been more comfortable with PB in that position. I agree with the points Porky made and I think I'd rather have a Khaliff Barnes, Everett, or their equivalent. PB might turn out to be a good player for us but he might not and that possibility has to be taken under consideration. What if PB turns out to be bust??? A.G. might not be the player he once was but he's still a good player and a good veteran leader for this team. I just don't know what to make of this move. Just because a player asks to be released doesn't mean you grant him whatever he wishes for. Then again I don't know who to believe..Capers and Casserly never give straight answers but I think this is a issue where most fans would like to know what happened. Becuase I think today our team took a step backwards by releasing Aaron Glenn.

michaelm
04-26-2005, 02:17 PM
Porky,

A few things to consider;

These moves are the only way that the Texans could COMPLETEY clean AG, Sharper and Foremen's contract $ from the cap space. Next year there will be alot more cap space because of these unpopular moves.

With AG and Sharper clearly on the downside of their careers, we would not have been able to find any teams willing to trade for them and assume their HUGE salaries. Huge in comparison to their contribution to the team.

I believe that in any trade scenario, we would end up eating some of the contract of each player if we could, in fact, find someone willing to trade for them. This may or may not be an issue, because the signing bonuses for each player that we released have accelerated onto this years cap (this is good in a way, since we have the room this year, and it won't count against next year).

So, while I will admit, it hurts to see these guys go, and we may have taken a little step back for this season, these moves set us up really, really well for the next few years. Basically, we will have a D that is about as good as last year with a chance that it will be better. BUT we will have alot of wiggle room cap wise to work with in 2006, so the future upside is way, way better IMHO.

Porky
04-26-2005, 02:27 PM
Porky,

A few things to consider;

These moves are the only way that the Texans could COMPLETEY clean AG, Sharper and Foremen's contract $ from the cap space. Next year there will be alot more cap space because of these unpopular moves.

With AG and Sharper clearly on the downside of their careers, we would not have been able to find any teams willing to trade for them and assume their HUGE salaries. Huge in comparison to their contribution to the team.

I believe that in any trade scenario, we would end up eating some of the contract of each player if we could, in fact, find someone willing to trade for them. This may or may not be an issue, because the signing bonuses for each player that we released have accelerated onto this years cap (this is good in a way, since we have the room this year, and it won't count against next year).

So, while I will admit, it hurts to see these guys go, and we may have taken a little step back for this season, these moves set us up really, really well for the next few years. Basically, we will have a D that is about as good as last year with a chance that it will be better. BUT we will have alot of wiggle room cap wise to work with in 2006, so the future upside is way, way better IMHO.

And you don't think others will come up for bigger contracts just as soon as all of this cap space "puts us over the top". The Texans willingly signed these contracts. It's a two way street. Drob, AJ, and others will be in line for huge raises. What then? Do we release Andre Johnson down the road because he runs a 4.45 instead of a 4.4 because he is making too much money? You cannot convince me this was a good move, either in the short, or the long term. Mr. Mcnair said himself that he felt like we should compete for a playoff spot this year. Basically, are they now trying to say to forget all that, and that they are in a rebuilding mode? Did I miss the building portion? The trade of PB was debatable, but wholly defensible. I cannot say the same of the AG release.

michaelm
04-26-2005, 02:39 PM
All teams come up against the salary cap, there's no way around that. The Texans choose to deal with it before it becomes a huge issue like it did for the Titans. And, yes, even AJ or DRob may one day have to restructure or be traded/released for cap reasons. Its just the nature of the business.
Yes, it sucks, but if there were no cap, teams payrolls would be sky high, ticket prices would be even higher, and teams that are in small cities would not be able to afford to keep up with the larger market teams, ala the NY Yankees...
It will hurt for a little while, but next year when our new players like Greenwood and PB have experience with our system, we have a good draft with extra picks that we gained this year, AND we have cap space to bring in a few key free agents, you will see that these moves are really very, very smart.
I won't debate you on the draft, because I was hoping it would go differently myself, but I will wait and see how our new draftees turn out...

*edit*

on the question of being in rebuilding mode... I think the D has a chance to be just as good, maybe better. There will be MUCH more team speed allowing us to impliment some of the blitz packages that Capers D is known for. We have not been able to use the full defensive playbook up to now, but we should be able to set the D loose with the improved team speed. You can't deny that the defensive speed is much better...

Porky
04-26-2005, 02:49 PM
All teams come up against the salary cap, there's no way around that. The Texans choose to deal with it before it becomes a huge issue like it did for the Titans. And, yes, even AJ or DRob may one day have to restructure or be traded/released for cap reasons. Its just the nature of the business.
Yes, it sucks, but if there were no cap, teams payrolls would be sky high, ticket prices would be even higher, and teams that are in small cities would nat be able to afford to keep up with the larger market teams, ala the NY Yankees...
It will hurt for a little while, but next year when our new players like Greenwood and PB have experience with our system, we have a good draft with extra picks that we gained this year, AND we have cap space to bring in a few key free agents, you will see that these moves are really very, very smart.
I won't debate you on the draft, because I was hoping it would go differently myself, but I will wait and see how our new draftees turn out...

*edit*

on the question of being in rebuilding mode... I think the D has a chance to be just as good, maybe better. There will be MUCH more team speed allowing us to impliment some of the blitz packages that Capers D is known for. We have been able to use the full defensive playbook up to now, but we should be able to set the D loose with the improved team speed. You can't deny that the defensive speed is much better...

The problem with your thesis is that the Texans are not in any way, shape, or form, in cap trouble. Release folks to avoid a problem that may or may not manifest itself in a year or two is a very strange way to conduct buiness. According to an interview with AG that is on the radio, he is the one who wanted out. The Texans should have known that before they pulled the trigger on the trade, because if I was GM, that would put the kabosh on this trade. And if they didn't know that was going to happen, and found out about it now, then I would have told AG too bad. He signed a contract. If the Texans have to live up to their end, why shouldn't AG? This was totally screwed up, and all the homerism in the world, cannot fix it.

Vinny
04-26-2005, 02:52 PM
The problem with your thesis is that the Texans are not in any way, shape, or form, in cap trouble. Release folks to avoid a problem that may or may not manifest itself in a year or two is a very strange way to conduct buiness. According to an interview with AG that is on the radio, he is the one who wanted out. The Texans should have known that before they pulled the trigger on the trade, because if I was GM, that would put the kabosh on this trade. And if they didn't know that was going to happen, and found out about it now, then I would have told AG too bad. He signed a contract. If the Texans have to live up to their end, why shouldn't AG? This was totally screwed up, and all the homerism in the world, cannot fix it.
Glenn was praising the Texans for allowing him to find a team after the Buchanon deal. He was very appreciative of our front office and I think he was afraid of being cut later in camp due to his high salary. You guys want to start rumor and form opinions based on your imaginations...its all hysterical and all that but its not reality based.

Marcus
04-26-2005, 02:53 PM
Porky,

You are getting way too melodramatic. When the PB trade went down, you can't honestly tell me you didn't see AG as a salary cap casualty. That is all that happened to Aaron Glenn. He became a salary cap casualty, nothing more nothing less. No GM in his right mind is going to pay $4 million in 2005, $4.25 million in 2006, and $5.5 million in 2007 to an aging player on the downside of his career, to be a backup or nickle back, when the eventual starting CB is only making $700,000 this year, and 800,000 the next. It's the same thing that happened Jamie Sharper. When they both were asked to restructure their contracts, and declined to do so . . they both knew what was coming.

downtownsb
04-26-2005, 02:54 PM
AG was just on 610, and he said that the decision was mutual but only after he asked to be released, he said the Texans told him they were going to target a CB in the first round but when they werent willing to trade alot to move up in the draft they started looking at FA and then they got the Buchanon deal. He said that because there were four cb's he reaslised that someone was going to be making alot of money and sitting on the bench, and it might bring about bad blood, he said he wouldnt have minded a reduced role he just diddnt want to sit on the bench all season because the Texans dont use alot of four CB packages. He said the Texans were great about letting him choose the team he would go to. He is leaving for Dallas now and ther deal isnt done but he said it will probably be done by the time he gets there.

michaelm
04-26-2005, 03:01 PM
This was totally screwed up, and all the homerism in the world, cannot fix it.

Calling my assessment homerism is just a silly blanket statement to express your displeasure over the situation. What I am explaining has absolutely nothing to do with homerism. More like your point of veiw is biased by your homerism toward the players, and theres nothing wrong with that.
The Texans are not in cap trouble, and WILL NOT BE because of tough choices like these. The key point is that these releases had to be done this year to get the contracts off of next years salary cap. You see, the signing bonuses that these players get when they sign is spread out over the length of the contract, BUT by releasing them now, the whole bonus goes against this years cap and will not count against next years numbers.
Just so you know, David Carr is in the option yearof his contract, and before next year the team will have to execise that option or he will be a free agent. These moves free up cap space for moves like that, and also for the raises that you mentioned regarding AJ and DRob. Where do you think the $ will come from? Would you rather pay Sharper and Glen more that the level of their play is worth, or free up the money for next year and beyond to keep the really good young players that are going top be the core of our team.
Actually, that is the simplest way to look at it... make these moves now, so we won't have to make them later with the guys that I'd rather be able to keep like DC, AJ, and DRob...

TexAntagonise
04-26-2005, 03:05 PM
Porky,

When the PB trade went down, you can't honestly tell me you didn't see AG as a salary cap casualty.

How does that happen when you don't have a cap problem THIS year. :thumbdown

Sounds like they took a page from the Bengal. :loser

michaelm
04-26-2005, 03:06 PM
How does that happen when you don't have a cap problem THIS year. :thumbdown

Sounds like they took a page from the Bengal. :loser

read the post above yours... i was probably writing it as you were posting yours...

Porky
04-26-2005, 03:06 PM
Porky,

You are getting way too melodramatic. When the PB trade went down, you can't honestly tell me you didn't see AG as a salary cap casualty. That is all that happened to Aaron Glenn. He became a salary cap casualty, nothing more nothing less. No GM in his right mind is going to pay $4 million in 2005, $4.25 million in 2006, and $5.5 million in 2007 to an aging player on the downside of his career, to be a backup or nickle back, when the eventual starting CB is only making $700,000 this year, and 800,000 the next. It's the same thing that happened Jamie Sharper. When they both were asked to restructure their contracts, and declined to do so . . they both knew what was coming.

No, I can honestly tell you that I didn't see it coming. Why the revionist history? Would you like me to pull the quotes from Capers and Casserly on this? I can if you want. They said the reason for the deal was so that we could match up with the Colts with three good corners. There is no salary cap problem. Why deal with a problem that is non existant. You guys are falling for spin, that's all. At the worst, we could have gone one more year with AG, and see if he declines further. He may no longer be All-Pro Aaron Glenn, but he still has game.

SESupergenius
04-26-2005, 03:07 PM
Well if you think the defense was bad last year, wait until this one. AG might have lost a step but knew where to be and provided invaluable leadership. D-Rob will now have to step up. Buchanon is just not the player Glenn was and probably never will be. Now, he's taken his spot. The guy got torched often, trust me, I've had to watch Raider games often. We should have paid the price for AG for another year and drafted a CB in this draft, of which many felt was deep at CB.

michaelm
04-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Will somebody with the cap #s for next year please total up the cap savings for next year with these moves?
I believe that we should see close to $10 million in cap savings next year with the releases of AG, Sharper and Foremen.
It may not be quite that much, but I think it will be close

FILO_girl
04-26-2005, 03:21 PM
While it is not cool this happend, I will copy the post I left at the "other" board on this situation.

I got so much chit-ola over my defiance at the Sharper release and now folks are going over the deep end over Glenn. Both good players, both a little older, both still "had it". Both got dumped for new blood.

Now the train is filling, I used to be the only passenger. Funny how this stuff works out.

All a-board the "What in the ****?" Express. Next stop.....2 Reliant Park.

SESupergenius
04-26-2005, 03:23 PM
Will somebody with the cap #s for next year please total up the cap savings for next year with these moves?
I believe that we should see close to $10 million in cap savings next year with the releases of AG, Sharper and Foremen.
It may not be quite that much, but I think it will be close
Save all the gap money you want, but you better be successfull. If not, then you did it for naught.

Diehardtexan
04-26-2005, 03:44 PM
The Texans are doing the right thing, New England does that every year and still get better with younger players. We have to cut down on players that cost too much to keep. If you have a good system then the players that we bring in will fill the need just the same as the top names players. New England didn't win the last superbowl with Ty Law they won it with no name corners. If we want to win and move on then we can't get too attached to our favoraite players. This is the new era of sports, the players wanted free agency and with that we kissed loyalty good bye. Get used to it. Maybe David Carr is next if he doesn't get to the next level.

michaelm
04-26-2005, 03:49 PM
Save all the gap money you want, but you better be successfull. If not, then you did it for naught.

That's true of every single move a GM makes.
Personally, if the choices are keeping the older players and maintaining the mediocre defense that we had, OR letting the new blood get accustomed to our system and having a whole lot more cap room for FAs in 2006, then I choose the latter. We are not going to the SuperBowl in 2005, but with these moves, I think we can be a real playoff threat in 2006.

Grid
04-26-2005, 03:52 PM
the young players thing is the key to the Eagles and Patriots success. You keep bringing in young players.. as many as you can.. stockpile picks. When your veteran contracts are up.. let em go.. you will have a quality young player behind them, and the compensatory picks next year for the FA you lost.

Not necessarily how I would want us to run things.. but to a limited degree this seems like a good way to go about doing business in the current era of the NFL.

TexAntagonise
04-26-2005, 03:57 PM
The Texans are doing the right thing, New England does that every year and still get better with younger players.

The Bengals do that also. That is a very fine lin.

Diehardtexan
04-26-2005, 04:02 PM
The Bengals are actually doing better now that they are getting rid off old players that cost too much and had losing attitudes. They got rid of most of the high draft picks from the past.

YodAa
04-26-2005, 04:11 PM
Yesterday there was a thread that said he could be gona as soon as today (my Bday) so I was wondering what was up wit him? If theres any news on his situation can you post it here please? This thread is just for updating what is going on wit him.

mean mark8
04-26-2005, 04:13 PM
Problem with this new blood thing is we always hear from the coaches how they can't put in all of the plays because the players are too young. From what we are told, Capers' defense requires a lot of cerebral matter. How is our defense going to get better now that we have at least 3 new starters in a new system? These guys better be studs and be able to pick things up very quickly. If I hear again how the new guys haven't adjusted to our system, I'm giving up on the Texans ever being any good under this regime.

SESupergenius
04-26-2005, 04:16 PM
the young players thing is the key to the Eagles and Patriots success. I guess that's why the Patriots brought in the 30-year old Harrison and extented the also 30 year old Dillons contract.
Eagles signed 31 year old Owens as well. I could go on.

Nah, that doesn't fly fellas, try again.

Porky
04-26-2005, 04:17 PM
The Texans are doing the right thing, New England does that every year and still get better with younger players. We have to cut down on players that cost too much to keep. If you have a good system then the players that we bring in will fill the need just the same as the top names players. New England didn't win the last superbowl with Ty Law they won it with no name corners. If we want to win and move on then we can't get too attached to our favoraite players. This is the new era of sports, the players wanted free agency and with that we kissed loyalty good bye. Get used to it. Maybe David Carr is next if he doesn't get to the next level.

I don't totally disagree with this, but if you take this approach, then to be successful, you have to make great decisions in FA, the draft, etc. You also need terrific depth, which we are not even close to having. And you stockpile picks, you don't give them away willy nilly. And, it also helps to have the best FO and best coaching staff in the league. If you think we can just cast off aging vets and replace them magically with rookies, with no reprucsions, your dreaming. It's easy to copy NE's philosphy, but not so easy to match their success.

Youngstown Colt
04-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Yep, this isn't exactly the same as what the pats and eagles do, sure it's similar, but not the same.

And the pats and eagles do it because they have already established a winning attitude and organization, not just everyone can do this and make it work

YodAa
04-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Ok so what happened?

TEXANS84
04-26-2005, 04:21 PM
He's gone. Released this afternoon. En-route to Dallas.

Diehardtexan
04-26-2005, 04:26 PM
I don't totally disagree with this, but if you take this approach, then to be successful, you have to make great decisions in FA, the draft, etc. You also need terrific depth, which we are not even close to having. And you stockpile picks, you don't give them away willy nilly. And, it also helps to have the best FO and best coaching staff in the league. If you think we can just cast off aging vets and replace them magically with rookies, with no reprucsions, your dreaming. It's easy to copy NE's philosphy, but not so easy to match their success.
I would rather have them let the players that don't want to be here go than have them just wait for them to hold a grudge and be a cancer in the club house. I'm not saying that Glenn was that kind of a player, but he did ask to be released. It's better to do it now than wait for them to get hurt and then release them. That would send a bad massege to other players. I think it will work just fine for both the way it just happend with Glenn.

michaelm
04-26-2005, 04:28 PM
I guess that's why the Patriots brought in the 30-year old Harrison and extented the also 30 year old Dillons contract.
Eagles signed 31 year old Owens as well. I could go on.

Nah, that doesn't fly fellas, try again.

What do those teams have in common that we absolutely do NOT have in common. They are/were basically 'one player away' from the Super Bowl...

Plus, these moves are more about speed and playmaking than experience FWIW. We needed some more speed IMO.

YodAa
04-26-2005, 04:32 PM
SO I'm guessing PB gets 31? Well at least we have some to replace him and he was good while he was here. But he'll look bad in Silver and white.

Porky
04-26-2005, 04:45 PM
I would rather have them let the players that don't want to be here go than have them just wait for them to hold a grudge and be a cancer in the club house. I'm not saying that Glenn was that kind of a player, but he did ask to be released. It's better to do it now than wait for them to get hurt and then release them. That would send a bad massege to other players. I think it will work just fine for both the way it just happend with Glenn.

So, every time a player is unhappy with PT, or money, the coach, or whatever, we just release them? What kind of lunacy is that? I guess Philly should go ahead and release TO then. Using your theory, P Buch would have been released, not traded. Moss would have been released too probably instead of traded. If we have truly disgruntled players or lockeroom cancers, the best way to deal with it is to trade them, or make their lives a living hell and make an example out of them to the other players. Releasing every disgruntled player in this league would lead to total chaos. They are the players, not the owner. They can quit if they want. It's a free country. But, they won't get paid either.

mean mark8
04-26-2005, 04:52 PM
AG was a Pro Bowl starter in his 3rd yr; where's PB's pro bowl? Let's face it, if Oakland was wanting to get rid of him, OAKLAND, how good can he be? They always pick up the malcontents and they wanted him gone.

We know it wasn't for salary cap reasons.

utahmark
04-26-2005, 04:53 PM
SO, the team benefits this season by a net 500,00? His scheduled $4 mil versus the $3.5 mil in dead space?

yes but next year we benefit 4.25 mil and the year after that 5.whatever mil. we are getting younger and saving cap room. these younger guys are good players.

it seems they are trying to build a team that can be good year after year and not just make one run at it. to do that we need to be in a good salary cap situation.

infantrycak
04-26-2005, 05:00 PM
AG was a Pro Bowl starter in his 3rd yr; where's PB's pro bowl? Let's face it, if Oakland was wanting to get rid of him, OAKLAND, how good can he be? They always pick up the malcontents and they wanted him gone.

We know it wasn't for salary cap reasons.

It was mainly the other way around. Buchanon wanted out of Oakland because he didn't like the coaching and didn't think all the players were trying their best.

Grid
04-26-2005, 05:03 PM
they also had one of the worst defenses in the league.. trying to make a 3-4 work with 4-3 personel. hard for a young corner to shine in a defense like that.

Buchanan is raw.. but he isnt as bad as the oakland fans make him out to be.. alot of his struggles can be attributed to the entire oakland defense.

DocBar
04-26-2005, 05:13 PM
Just read on HoustonTexans.Com that Glenn was released outright today.

infantrycak
04-26-2005, 05:13 PM
they also had one of the worst defenses in the league.. trying to make a 3-4 work with 4-3 personel. hard for a young corner to shine in a defense like that.

Buchanan is raw.. but he isnt as bad as the oakland fans make him out to be.. alot of his struggles can be attributed to the entire oakland defense.

For example--Carr wasn't sacked at all by Oakland. Find me a CB who can cover AJ if Carr isn't pressured. Sure would be nice if the situation happened more.

SESupergenius
04-26-2005, 05:23 PM
What do those teams have in common that we absolutely do NOT have in common. They are/were basically 'one player away' from the Super Bowl...

Plus, these moves are more about speed and playmaking than experience FWIW. We needed some more speed IMO.You can't peg what the "formula" is, all teams are different. If we are a couple of players away, then where is our "TO" and "Kearse"?? Is it Greenwood and Buchanon. LOL. You act like Greenwood has blistering speed, boy are you overhyping this guy. And Buchanon may have a tad bit more in the rockets than Glenn but will need when he gets floated for 6.

Grid
04-26-2005, 05:58 PM
Morlon Greenwood ran 4.60 at the Combine. .05 seconds slower than DeMarcus Ware or Derrick Johnson.

And ive been looking for 30 freaking minutes and cant find Buchanans 40 times.. if I had hair id be freakin pulling it out. If anyone can find his 40 times please post em before I go postal on ESPN for their useless archives.

texasguy346
04-26-2005, 06:39 PM
Apparently he ran a 4.42.

Link (http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives2001/draft_2001/scoutingreports_db.asp#CB%20Phillip%20Buchanon)

He tops the list of Buchsbaum's top 10 DBs. Ahead of R. Williams, Reed, Jammer, and L. Sheppard.

Here's what he had to say.

CB Phillip Buchanon
(5-9 7/8, 186, 4.42) Miami (Fla.)

Notes: Did not just play, but excelled in football, basketball, baseball and track in high school. Played in 10 games as a true freshman in 1999 and had 21 tackles and one pass broken up. Started six times and had 44 tackles, nine passes broken up and two interceptions in 2000. Pro Football Weekly All-America cornerback and Big East Special-Teams Player of the Year in ’01, when he picked off five passes for 157 yards and one touchdown and returned 31 punts for 464 yards and two touchdowns and five kickoffs for 157 yards and one touchdown.

Positives: Exceptional athlete with terrific balance, body control and agility. Very fluid and quick and nimble-footed. Smooth turning and quick reacting. Closes on the ball very well. Has the great quick-twitch you look for in a corner, ball skills and natural running instincts when he has the ball. Makes big plays and scored on three different types of returns in 2001. Can play bump-and-run, man-off or zone coverage. Best athlete on a great Miami team, and with apologies to Edward Reed, may have been the team’s best player.

Negatives: Has average size and ability to play the run. Is not as physical as scouts would like.

Summary: May be the best cover corner in the entire draft and the best cornerback ever to play for Miami.

That's pretty high praise from Joel Buchsbaum.

michaelm
04-26-2005, 06:40 PM
You can't peg what the "formula" is, all teams are different. If we are a couple of players away, then where is our "TO" and "Kearse"?? Is it Greenwood and Buchanon. LOL. You act like Greenwood has blistering speed, boy are you overhyping this guy. And Buchanon may have a tad bit more in the rockets than Glenn but will need when he gets floated for 6.

first of all, i said that NE and Philly are/were one player away, not us... I never said that.
Secondly, we have added Greenwood, Buchanan, Peek as a full time starter and TJ. ALL significant speed upgrades over what was there before. I haven't been hyping Greenwood at all. Go back and read every single post I have made. I have been saying that I like the increase in team speed. I think it will help us greatly. Go back and re-read the posts that you are trying to criticize, and get back to me when you can respond to what is actually being said.

TopTexanFan16
04-26-2005, 06:40 PM
aaahhhh i dont know bout the rest od u but this has to be the saddest day in football to see glenn go to the cowgirls any other team i wouldbnt have been this upset but....THE COWGIRLS!!! say it aint soooo!!!

kcwilson
04-26-2005, 06:53 PM
yes but next year we benefit 4.25 mil and the year after that 5.whatever mil. we are getting younger and saving cap room. these younger guys are good players.

it seems they are trying to build a team that can be good year after year and not just make one run at it. to do that we need to be in a good salary cap situation.

I think what is being done is the right move for an organization trying to move from expansion to NFL contender for years to come. In order to be competitive right away and win a few games in the first few years (drawing in loyal fans and revenue), you needed some veteran leadership to prevent the younger offensive players from throwing up on themselves.

Now we are at the point where we can afford to jettison some older players with unfriendly cap numbers and let younger players evolve into leaders. Granted this isn't easy and takes stability at the top or the organization to trust young players to evolve.

Now, Glenn being gone is a loss of talent, but overall we are now in a positive position to land free agents for years ahead and we need to show we are an organization that is about opportunity to young players/stars. Although cutting players doesn't always send that message, but the fact that we granted Aaron Glenn the release in order to provide him the best situation for him is somewhat positive. We could have tried to trade him to somewhere he didn't want to go.

I think it is a good move. I didn't think that this draft was particularly strong and that the FA out there were nice but not significant for us. Not sure who is around next year, but I bet that Capers and Casserly do and that they might have an eye on some additional pieces next year. These guys don't operate year to year.

AndroidRaider24
04-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Apparently he ran a 4.42.

Link (http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives2001/draft_2001/scoutingreports_db.asp#CB%20Phillip%20Buchanon)

He tops the list of Buchsbaum's top 10 DBs. Ahead of R. Williams, Reed, Jammer, and L. Sheppard.

Here's what he had to say.

That's pretty high praise from Joel Buchsbaum.
He was a bust... its a old scouting report that makes you laugh, bad attitude, bad tackling, lack of effort or will to work out and train, and talks alot of smack for a guy that was benched atleast 5 times in the last two years ...and whats with this pass rush excuse ? Didnt you guys have a worst one than us ? Hes a bad corner, the homerism on this board is beyond words.

texasguy346
04-26-2005, 07:00 PM
He was a bust... its a old scouting report that makes you laugh, bad attitude, bad tackling, lack of effort or will to work out and train, and talks alot of smack for a guy that was benched atleast 5 times in the last two years ...and whats with this pass rush excuse ? Didnt you guys have a worst one than us ? Hes a bad corner, the homerism on this board is beyond words.

I wouldn't call a guy that young a bust just yet. I only posted the report because Grid asked for someone to help him find PB's 40 time. Imagine my surprise that a combine evaluation from the 2002 NFL Draft was old. :rolleyes: Don't get me wrong PB is a risk, but he also has alot of talent. Wether or not he'll be able to use his talent and remain disciplined is something we'll discover over the season. I, for one, feel that he'll play better under a coach like DC as opposed the coaching carousel that was Oakland the past few years. Gruden, Callahan, Turner.

AndroidRaider24
04-26-2005, 07:05 PM
I wouldn't call a guy that young a bust just yet. I only posted the report because Grid asked for someone to help him find PB's 40 time. Imagine my surprise that a combine evaluation from the 2002 NFL Draft was old. :rolleyes: Don't get me wrong PB is a risk, but he also has alot of talent. Wether or not he'll be able to use his talent and remain disciplined is something we'll discover over the season. I, for one, feel that he'll play better under a coach like DC as opposed the coaching carousel that was Oakland the past few years. Gruden, Callahan, Turner.
Maybe you right , I hope Capers can fix him up, it would be shame such a talent is going to waste, but the only guy he listened to in the NFL is Deon Sanders, hell Deon gave him that name Showtime, .... maybe AJ could knock some sense on how a player from the U is really suppose to play and act like

texasguy346
04-26-2005, 07:08 PM
I think AJ will go a long way in making PB feel more comfortable here. Of course I would've preferred to keep Glenn here to keep PB in check if he let his ego go a little overboard, but obviously that won't be happening. DC is a defensive minded coach, and he has a knack for getting the most out of his players. Besides we still have Faggins to push PB, and competition can be one of the best motivators. It'll be an interesting season to watch to say the least.

AndroidRaider24
04-26-2005, 07:12 PM
I think AJ will go a long way in making PB feel more comfortable here. Of course I would've preferred to keep Glenn here to keep PB in check if he let his ego go a little overboard, but obviously that won't be happening. DC is a defensive minded coach, and he has a knack for getting the most out of his players. Besides we still have Faggins to push PB, and competition can be one of the best motivators. It'll be an interesting season to watch to say the least.
I agree, also, im dont take this as trolling, i just dislike the guy , not the Texans. :thumbup

texasguy346
04-26-2005, 07:21 PM
I agree, also, im dont take this as trolling, i just dislike the guy , not the Texans. :thumbup

Yeah I never considered you a troll. You've been posting on the board for quite some time. Flashy players with big egos tend to rub most people the wrong way.

Cheroqui
04-26-2005, 07:45 PM
I was thinking about that and saying to the Jets fans that spit the "Oh Aaron Glenn... Where's he from?" Like, you can have him back if you want, the rookie's puttin in more work than his, late to a play *****!" Now we have someone to play opposite of Dunta. Oh I can't wait for this season to start!

Erratic Assassin
04-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Am I the ONLY one who thought Glenns play was slipping last year? He just seemed old to me.

I would have rather seen us dump Payne and Walker than Glenn. Glenn can still play. Walker got real old real fast and we'll be lucky if Payne plays 2 games next year before he's back on the injured list.

Why are we dumping Aaron Glenn's salary when we just signed Seth Payne to a 4-year $16 million contract with a $4.5 million signing bonus? On top of all of his other injuries, he suffered a hamstring injury in the 2004 finale. He hasn't even recovered from that injury, he's expected to be limited in the team's offseason workouts, and we sign him to a 4-year deal?

Does anyone honestly think Payne will be playing in the year 2009?

Texans2005
04-26-2005, 08:20 PM
It's true. Aaron Glenn is now a Dallas Cowboy.
The Dallas Cowboys: What a Draft! A ROYAL FLUSH. And now Aaron Glenn. By far the most improved team in the NFL in 2005.

infantrycak
04-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Does anyone honestly think Payne will be playing in the year 2009?

Very possibly. He just turned 30, playing to 34 is by no means impossible.

It suprises me how many people freak out when football players get injured and then start acting like they are forever more defective. In the past 6 years, the only injury which has caused Payne to miss a game was the knee injury which was caused by a playing surface so bad it was replaced mid-season. He played in every game last year without reinjuring that knee. The injury he sustained in the last game of the season is exactly the same one Gary Walker had in the off-season before his 2002 pro-bowl year.

TexanExile
04-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Glenn playing in that toilet of a Texas Stadium is no way to finish a career. He really shouldn't sign with Irving-Arlington. Come home to the palace, man. :heh:

Without getting too much more off-topic, any word on the Reliant Stadium playing surface? THAT looked pitiful on a few occasions last year.

bigtex77
04-26-2005, 11:07 PM
Without getting too much more off-topic, any word on the Reliant Stadium playing surface? THAT looked pitiful on a few occasions last year.

From what I've heard they had 1 1/2 fields worth of grass that was rotated in to make up the playing surface, while part was being used for the field, the rest was being groomed for future use. During the offseason they purchased 1 1/2 more fields worth of grass(I hope that was worded right) so that it would give them a total of three fields to work with. If anyone has heard different, please let me know.

SESupergenius
04-26-2005, 11:37 PM
I just saw an interview with Glenn where he said he welcomes the role of playing the nickel in Dallas. Why wasn't he glad about that role here?

SheTexan
04-26-2005, 11:45 PM
I just saw an interview with Glenn where he said he welcomes the role of playing the nickel in Dallas. Why wasn't he glad about that role here?

Maybe he's just happy to be back with Parcells.

TMac48
04-27-2005, 12:20 AM
From ESPN.com:

...Both the Dallas Cowboys and New England Patriots were believed to be interested in trading for the veteran before he (Aaron Glenn) was released...
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2046742)

If they were already looking to trade for him before we said we would realease him, why didn't we keep our mouth shut about it and trade him instead? Seems that would have made more sense. :um:

Youngstown Colt
04-27-2005, 12:23 AM
I just saw an interview with Glenn where he said he welcomes the role of playing the nickel in Dallas. Why wasn't he glad about that role here?That's just the way it is. You never want to get bumped out of a role you have earned by a guy who hasn't earned it. He will overtake Anthony Henry soon enough in Dallas, and he probably knows that, while his spot in Houston was already promised to PB.

bubbajaxonbrown
04-27-2005, 12:44 AM
Glenn would've been the 4th CB here and in Dallas he'll be 3rd at least.

TexanBacker93
04-27-2005, 01:11 AM
It would have been nice to keep the depth of Glenn around, but Buchanon is better right now than Glenn. This is my opinion, of course, but that's how I see it. Going from Babin, Wong, Sharper, Foreman to Babin, Peek, Wong, Greenwood is an upgrade. Peek and Babin will form a great pass rushing duo. They are both very quick on the outside and will cause teams to adjust their gameplans for them. Having a guy like Travis Johnson that can actually push into the backfield will help improve the pass rush.

Overall, the defense will be better in 2005. I don't want to see the Texans become like the Titans. They got in cap hell and had to release quality players. If the Texans are smart they can avoid those problems. To do that, you might have to make a personnel decision and release a popular player. I don't see this as being entirely about money, though. If Glenn were still at the top of his game and an elite corner he is worth the money.

Look at the Astros. They are about 2 years late in moving Bagwell and Biggio. They are fan favorites, but Bagwell especially hurts the team with his contract. If this move turns out poorly I'm sure those that predict the end of the Texans will be happy. Personally, I'd rather expect them to do well and be happy when that happens than to expect them to do poorly because of some changes to the roster. It's a waste of time waiting for the worst to happen.

ATX
04-27-2005, 02:05 AM
da da da da da da da da hey heyey goodbye. :BananaWav

ThaShark316
04-27-2005, 03:59 AM
This hurts big time...I'll miss AG...the hell with everyone dissin' Glenn. :thumbdown

I think D-Rob's emergence is due in part by AG showing him the ropes and what to do and what NOT to do as a Corner...thanks AG!!

michaelm
04-27-2005, 07:45 AM
From ESPN.com:

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2046742)

If they were already looking to trade for him before we said we would realease him, why didn't we keep our mouth shut about it and trade him instead? Seems that would have made more sense. :um:

In the end, no team wanted to trade for him because of his salary. The only way it was worth it to Dallas is if he was released outright, and then signed a lesser contract with them.

nunusguy
04-27-2005, 08:05 AM
This hurts big time...I'll miss AG...the hell with everyone dissin' Glenn. :thumbdown
I think D-Rob's emergence is due in part by AG showing him the ropes and what to do and what NOT to do as a Corner...thanks AG!!
What just happened to AG was inevitable - someday, 7 or 8 yrs from now if we have the same cap structure in the NFL it will be even tougher for all of us when the same thing happens to D-Rob. Its the way the system works.
In the meantime, I won't be the least bit surprised if AG starts for the Cowboys this Fall because he is still good, maybe very good. But even if
his primary role is nickel back, hey that's a key position.

WWJD
04-27-2005, 08:15 AM
Maybe he's just happy to be back with Parcells.

I think you've hit it. He's an old Parcells guy and for whatever reason Bill's ex players seem to want to come back to wherever he is if he wants them.

I know Aaron said on 610 yesterday that he was great friends with Keyshawn (he mentioned that Keyshawn was picking him up at the airport) and he also said something about being friends with Ferguson who's coming to Dallas.

And he has spoken to Bill Parcells. I think that was the deciding factor; playing for his old coach.

TexanBacker93
04-27-2005, 09:07 AM
What the Texans are doing now hopefully will keep them from jettisoning most of the top players. There will always be turnover. A player that wants to be the #1 receiver instead of sitting behind Andre Johnson. A player that wants to be the starting ROLB instead of sitting behind Antwan Peek. It will be inevitable. As long as the Texans improve and don't start picking in the top 10 each year it will help them considerably in affording their players since so much of the cap won't be tied up in those David Carr type contracts.

That's what most baffles me about what Detroit did. There is NO WAY under the salary cap to keep all 3 of those top 10 receivers. Once their rookie contracts are up they won't be able to give them all #1 money. Are any of the 3 going to want to sacrifice money to stay? I doubt that much money.

Aaron Glenn is still a good player. The Texans and the fans will miss him. I sit in Glenn's Amen corner so it'll be different this season without him coming over, but the team will be better this season. Not because he's gone, but because the additions and moves they have made plus the seasoning of the guys from last season will make them better. Good luck, Aaron. Although, why oh why did you have to become a Cowgirl?

beerlover
04-27-2005, 09:10 AM
What the Texans are doing now hopefully will keep them from jettisoning most of the top players. There will always be turnover. A player that wants to be the #1 receiver instead of sitting behind Andre Johnson. A player that wants to be the starting ROLB instead of sitting behind Antwan Peek. It will be inevitable. As long as the Texans improve and don't start picking in the top 10 each year it will help them considerably in affording their players since so much of the cap won't be tied up in those David Carr type contracts.

That's what most baffles me about what Detroit did. There is NO WAY under the salary cap to keep all 3 of those top 10 receivers. Once their rookie contracts are up they won't be able to give them all #1 money. Are any of the 3 going to want to sacrifice money to stay? I doubt that much money.

Aaron Glenn is still a good player. The Texans and the fans will miss him. I sit in Glenn's Amen corner so it'll be different this season without him coming over, but the team will be better this season. Not because he's gone, but because the additions and moves they have made plus the seasoning of the guys from last season will make them better. Good luck, Aaron. Although, why oh why did you have to become a Cowgirl?

good post :thumbup maybe one more top 10 wouldn't hurt either :heh:

SESupergenius
04-27-2005, 09:35 AM
Buchanon better then AG. :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked

I don't know what most of you have been fed, but Glenn still finished with 5 int's last year. Have any of you actually watched Buchanon? This is getty silly. No way Glenn would have been the 4th best CB on the roster. It's becoming customary around here to homer the new guys and dis the ones that are gone.

michaelm
04-27-2005, 09:48 AM

I don't know what most of you have been fed, but Glenn still finished with 5 int's last year. Have any of you actually watched Buchanon? This is getty silly. No way Glenn would have been the 4th best QB on the roster. It's becoming customary around here to homer the new guys and dis the ones that are gone.

While I believe that the recent release of veteran players will be benificial to the team in 2006, and possibly this season if things go just right, I agree with this statement.
I think that it makes it easier for people to accept that a well loved player is gone if they can justify it to themselves by minimizing the value that said player actually had to the team.

Porky
04-27-2005, 10:53 AM
It is becoming rather laughable. I brought up the same point with Sharper. When he was a Texan, some of our esteemed board members couldn't believe how he was left off the pro-bowl roster, but as soon as he was cut, some of the same people were trying to convince us it was no big deal because Sharper was washed up, and not that great in the first place. Which is it folks? Overlooked PRo-Bowler, or washed up aging vet who wasn't any good in the first place? :hmmm:

MikeMc
04-27-2005, 10:53 AM
Porky, I couldn't agree with you more (on everything said in this thread)!

The key shocking factor was all the hoopla when PB came to HOU. The lies/deception from the MGMT is what is leaving a bad feeling/taste in all of our stomachs/mouths. It was as if they spun it in such a way that we were all cool with the trade....."WOW, Glenn, PB & DR on the field together....bring it on COLTS!". But then the draft was a joke (save for Mathis & Morency). Then we hear about AG getting dumped......the tailspin continued!

And we are not the only one's that are looking at the $$$, imagine if the product on the field takes a drastic downturn, I wonder if the sellout crowds will still be there? The fans know more than the owners/GM/Coaches that Football (NFL) is more about the $$$ and less about the football! I doubt Bengals/Saints/Cardinals fans were willing to pay $250 per game per family to see 3-13. 4-12, 5-11 teams every year! Hey Cowboy fans, did you like those 3 consecutive 5-11 seasons? Jerry needed to bring a "Parcells" type in to get those fans excited again! Otherwise, the fans would have wised up to the scam, and stopped wasting time & $$$ on the poor product.

So in the end, the Texans better come through with a Playoff bid, otherwise, anything less will cause dissention among the fans. 7-9, 8-8 or 9-7 without a playoff is not good enough. But I am sure the Texans will set us all up to expect a down year....because of losing all the experience on D....blah blah blah! This is not an Expansion team anymore, so that "give it some time while we build the team" junk is old news! The time is now!

TheOgre
04-27-2005, 11:04 AM
At the time, I thought he was an overlooked Pro Bowler back after 2003. He led the league in tackles. Later I found out he didn't win partially from playing on a losing team, but mainly because he didn't have enough "big plays" (sacks, forced fumbles, INT's, tackles for loss). His play definitely slipped from 2003 to 2004, how much is debateable. I don't think he was one of the major issues with the LB's, but the brass seems to see it differently.

michaelm
04-27-2005, 11:18 AM
The key shocking factor was all the hoopla when PB came to HOU. The lies/deception from the MGMT is what is leaving a bad feeling/taste in all of our stomachs/mouths. It was as if they spun it in such a way that we were all cool with the trade....."WOW, Glenn, PB & DR on the field together....bring it on COLTS!". But then the draft was a joke (save for Mathis & Morency). Then we hear about AG getting dumped......the tailspin continued!

Glen was informed prior to the draft that the team was looking into drafting one of the top three CBs and he said he was OK with it. Management evaluated the draft and decided that it would cost too much to move up high enough in the first round to get one of them. They decided that it would be benificial to trade the 2nd round pick, and a 3rd for PB instead of a 1st and 2nd (and/or 3rd) for a rookie who is an unknown commodity in the NFL.
We could debate the wisdom of that descision, but that's not my point.
The point is that Glen decided that he wasn't comfortable with the situation
after PB came to the team, and so he asked for a trade. Initially, the team wanted to have all of the DBs, but when Glen said he thought it wasn't in the best interest of the team, himself, or the other DBs, the team listened and allowed him to seek a trade.
I don't believe that there was any attempt at deception, but maybe the managent made a mistake assuming that AG would be OK with them bringing in Buchanan because he'd previously said that he was OK with them drafting a rookie.

infantrycak
04-27-2005, 11:25 AM

I don't know what most of you have been fed, but Glenn still finished with 5 int's last year. Have any of you actually watched Buchanon? This is getty silly. No way Glenn would have been the 4th best CB on the roster. It's becoming customary around here to homer the new guys and dis the ones that are gone.

I hate people trashing whatever player leaves the team. I am dissappointed the Texans were such nice guys to Aaron. Personally, I think they should have said sorry Aaron we have you under contract (for more than your current market value by the way) and we really think having you around as starter or nickle will make this team stronger--we will talk to you about a release after this season when we are sure of how Buchanon is going to do.

The key shocking factor was all the hoopla when PB came to HOU. The lies/deception from the MGMT is what is leaving a bad feeling/taste in all of our stomachs/mouths. It was as if they spun it in such a way that we were all cool with the trade....."WOW, Glenn, PB & DR on the field together....bring it on COLTS!".

The only reason you feel lied to is because you refuse to accept the facts--Glenn asked to be released, the Texans did not dump him.

It is becoming rather laughable. I brought up the same point with Sharper. When he was a Texan, some of our esteemed board members couldn't believe how he was left off the pro-bowl roster, but as soon as he was cut, some of the same people were trying to convince us it was no big deal because Sharper was washed up, and not that great in the first place. Which is it folks? Overlooked PRo-Bowler, or washed up aging vet who wasn't any good in the first place?

I agree about not trashing people just because they leave, but the supposed hypocrisy of your example just doesn't fly. I thought Sharper had a fantastic 2003 and personally still think he should have at least been an alternate for the pro-bowl. Nonetheless, during last season, far before any rumor of his release it was my opinion his 2004 season had definitely slacked off from the 2003 level. Doesn't mean he wasn't still a good LB, but he wasn't as good and there is no hypocrisy in it. I am on the flip side of the Glenn issue--folks around here IMO were all Dunta is god and in order to prove their point had to point to Glenn as having slipped. I still don't believe he slipped that much last season and any decrease in performance was reflected league wide by CB's being hampered by refs. As a specific example, on at least three occasions last year TD's were "caught" on Glenn after blatant offensive pass interference where the WR pushed off Glenn to gain separation.

Vinny
04-27-2005, 11:27 AM
I hate people trashing whatever player leaves the team. I am dissappointed the Texans were such nice guys to Aaron. Personally, I think they should have said sorry Aaron we have you under contract (for more than your current market value by the way) and we really think having you around as starter or nickle will make this team stronger--we will talk to you about a release after this season when we are sure of how Buchanon is going to do.I was one of the FEW who wasn't dogging Glenn's game last year. Most of this board was all over him calling for his head. That said, this release probably has more to do with the development of Faggins than anything. Apparently the Texans feel that a younger Faggins in the prime of his NFL career is a better choice than Glenn at 33. I can live with that, and yes, I still think Glenn has game left as well.

done88
04-27-2005, 11:37 AM
This has nothing to do with the Texans thinking Faggins is a better then Glenn. This is a pure money thing. Glenn is not 1.1 million dollars better Faggins. With the moves the Texans are making they are conseeding that the team will not make the Playoffs this year or next and therefore they are scrapping their current plan a setting a new plan for three years down the road. They are replacing all the vets with young kids that can use time to develop. Heres to two more years of losing.

Vinny
04-27-2005, 11:39 AM
The negativity from our fan base is amazing. Almost funny if it wasn't so sad.

SESupergenius
04-27-2005, 11:39 AM
The only reason you feel lied to is because you refuse to accept the facts--Glenn asked to be released, the Texans did not dump him.
That's a simplitic account of the whole story. He was bascially forced out at that point. Telling Glenn that they might draft a rookie and bringing in starter from another team is like night and day. Glenn welcomed the drafting of a rookie this year just like he did last year, feeling that he would be the man again to nurture and bring along another rookie. That's a lot different then bringing in a younger starter from another team and told to "compete" for his job. Glenn said he had already talked to Dallas before asking his release, so he basically was making sure he had a shot somewhere else before asking.

But really, all of this smoke screen and deceptive intentions will only allow us to speculate.

infantrycak
04-27-2005, 11:41 AM
With the moves the Texans are making they are conseeding that the team will not make the Playoffs this year or next and therefore they are scrapping their current plan a setting a new plan for three years down the road. They are replacing all the vets with young kids that can use time to develop. Heres to two more years of losing.

Guaranteed Capers/Palmer/Fangio are not making these moves with the anticipation the team will be worse off. Capers & Palmer have both seen the short time lines given NFL coaches to succeed. They may be wrong, but it is just silly IMO to think they are not looking to improve this year.

SESupergenius
04-27-2005, 11:42 AM
The negativity from our fan base is amazing. Almost funny if it wasn't so sad.And it's almost laughable with all the homerism being eaten up like a bunch of crack addicts waiting for the next feeding. It's ok, you'll come down from your high's and face reality.

infantrycak
04-27-2005, 11:47 AM
That's a simplitic account of the whole story.

Not according to Aaron. No one involved has said anything resembling the Texans went to Aaron to tell him he was going to be released. Everyone is in agreement Aaron approached the team. Barring an unknown (and frankly completely unrealistic IMO--Aaron hasn't even hinted at it and has basically only made statements about Faggins' playing time) meeting where Capers told Glenn he had no chance to start next year, I just can't see how Glenn was being forced out.

Vinny
04-27-2005, 11:47 AM
And it's almost laughable with all the homerism being eaten up like a bunch of crack addicts waiting for the next feeding. It's ok, you'll come down from your high's and face reality.Heres to two more years of losing. ...and more quotes like this is just sad and pathetic. I'm not much of a homer but I guess you can't see that. I don't touch crack either Shawn. The dramatic gloom and doom you guys are spreading strikes me as amusing/sad.

SESupergenius
04-27-2005, 11:53 AM
ok Vincent, let's make a friendly wager then. I say we end up with a worse record than last year. Given that we've made all the "improvements" to our team, then we should be better, and records indicate that. What do we put up for this?

MikeMc
04-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Done88, exactly! By the way, ready for TFFL 2005?

infantrycak, I guess it can be summed up as the "Chicken or the Egg". Did Glenn ask to be traded because of the PB trade, or did the Texans decide to let him seek a trade after the PB trade. Considering the outright deception this org has recently shown the fans, I'd venture to guess that no one on this MB knows what really went down....only what the org is spinning off as the "truth".

Also, I have never thought Aaron Glenn to be the type that, when faced with competition, will just back down and ask for a trade! I've gotten the impression that he is more of the "my game is strong, bring it on!".

--- for example, when UH signed Kevin Kolb a few years back, Barrick Nealy decided to transfer to SWT (Texas State). I guess he did not want to have to compete for the QB job at UH considering the comp would be tough.

This whole "it is a better situation for me" junk is ridiculous. Be a man, just say it, the new guy is better, and I feel I will lose my job. That is something I doubt Glenn would ever think, feel, or say...simply because that is not his persona!

Porky
04-27-2005, 12:00 PM
I can't sign on to Done 88's negativity, because I do think they intend to compete, but otoh, I think it's fair to give your opinion when things like this happen. Do we have to back each and every move that is made? I have thought about it overnight, and I really haven't changed my thinking, which tells me my first impulse was correct. Losing a player of AG's calibur with zero compensation is a bad deal. Basically, we get PB in exchange for AG, and second and a third. Is there really a way to spin that positively, because that is one of the most lopsided trades I have ever heard of. We could have easily told him to stay on board a year to see how PB would fit in. This is not invasion of the body snatchers. We don't all have to think alike. This board would be awfully boring if every move the Texans ever made was rubber stamped by every one of us. Are we not allowed to have a negative opinion? :whistle:

SESupergenius
04-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Not according to Aaron. No one involved has said anything resembling the Texans went to Aaron to tell him he was going to be released. Everyone is in agreement Aaron approached the team. Barring an unknown (and frankly completely unrealistic IMO--Aaron hasn't even hinted at it and has basically only made statements about Faggins' playing time) meeting where Capers told Glenn he had no chance to start next year, I just can't see how Glenn was being forced out.Come Infantry you can't really think that PB comes over after being disgruntled with his former team just to be a nickel do you? The writing was on the wall. He goes to a team that will let him battle for a spot.

Vinny
ok Vincent, let's make a friendly wager then. I say we end up with a worse record than last year. Given that we've made all the "improvements" to our team, then we should be better, and records indicate that. What do we put up for this?I donno, I think we will have a 8-8 or 9-7 season and posted that here weeks ago. I'm just not real judgemental by nature and I have stayed away from bashing Glenn or the Texans. If I am bashing something I tend to bash play on the field more than just hammer the team for things like trying to upgrade the roster in a cap-centered NFL. That's why I haven't been very active in these threads. This is going to be a long off-season from here on out around here I think.

infantrycak
infantrycak, I guess it can be summed up as the "Chicken or the Egg". Did Glenn ask to be traded because of the PB trade, or did the Texans decide to let him seek a trade after the PB trade. Considering the outright deception this org has recently shown the fans, I'd venture to guess that no one on this MB knows what really went down....only what the org is spinning off as the "truth

Glenn has said several times already that he asked for the trade. What the heck outright deception are you talking about?

Also, I have never thought Aaron Glenn to be the type that, when faced with competition, will just back down and ask for a trade! I've gotten the impression that he is more of the "my game is strong, bring it on!".

First off, Glenn has been interviewed several times in the past year and has known at some point this was going to happen--did he know it would be this year, no but he knew it was headed this way. Second, unless you want to accuse Glenn of outright deception as well, he has said he was concerned about Faggins' playing time. Regardless of the outcome of a Buchanon/Glenn fight for the starting job, Faggins was likely moving to #4 and a reduced role.

infantrycak
04-27-2005, 12:04 PM
He goes to a team that will let him battle for a spot.

You answered yourself--so long as Buchanon was not promised the starting job (which without some evidence I simply do not believe) and it was going to be a battle, then Glenn was not forced out. And since I personally thought his play was still good last year, I expected Glenn to win that competition. He chose to avoid the battle.

michaelm
04-27-2005, 12:11 PM
what I have read, but not personally confirmed is that Glen thought the situation would be uncomfortable for himself, PB and Faggins. The line I read said something along the lines that he thought it would be bad if, for instance, Buchanan was starting instead of him (AG), and made a mistake then the croud begins chanting AG, AG, AG! or something along those lines. I really don't know for sure, but that is along the lines of why he supposedly didn't feel comfortable.
On the topic of bringing in Buchanan to compete for the job, no team is obligated to tell a player that they are trying to imoprove a position and ask that player how he feels on the subject. You just bring in the player who you think is an improvement and there wll be competition. period.
The Texans don't need any players approval to bring in talent that they feel improves the team. The notion that AG should feel affronted because Buchanan was acquired is absurd, but if he was, that's a personal problem that he has to deal with.

SESupergenius
04-27-2005, 12:26 PM
And since I personally thought his play was still good last year, I expected Glenn to win that competition. He chose to avoid the battle.So he goes to a team to battle and may not end up a starter, but you think he would have won the battle here and he leaves. Something is wrong with that analysis.

TexanBacker93
04-27-2005, 12:37 PM
I don't think management misled anyone. I think Aaron Glenn made a decision that he preferred to go elsewhere instead of accepting a lesser role. It's been reported that Capers gave him that option. I can imagine at first Glenn was hurt, but said he would do whatever is best for the team. I think the thought was that Buchanon would come in and all 3 would play significant roles in helping improve the pass defense. After a few days, Glenn decided that he would prefer to get a chance to get more playing time. He said so in his interview on 610. The team honored his preference because they are a class organization. The Texans are under the cap and it's doubtful they will find free agents after June 1 to use up the cap space. Had Glenn decided to take a lesser role and wanted to stay, I'm sure the team would have kept him.

infantrycak
04-27-2005, 12:38 PM
So he goes to a team to battle and may not end up a starter, but you think he would have won the battle here and he leaves. Something is wrong with that analysis.

Those are disjunctive items. What I think of his play, isn't the same thing as his concerns/decision making on whether to stay with the team, which evidently did not just include his ability to retain the starting job, but how Buchanon coming in affected Faggins as well. If you want to call it forced out then fine, but I disagree with the characterization--if Glenn had not asked for his release there is zero evidence to demonstrate the Texans wouldn't have kept him next year. In my book if you have the option of being on the team, then you haven't been forced out.

SESupergenius
04-27-2005, 12:46 PM
In my book if you have the option of being on the team, then you haven't been forced out.By bringing in a player like PB you are telling someone that you are not happy with their job. It's a more than subtle way of saying you need to upgrade the position. PB wasn't going to be a happy camper being a nickel back, and I doubt we spend a 2nd and 3rd rounder to do so. Come on man it's as plain as day.

OzzO
04-27-2005, 12:57 PM
good article (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3155633)

...He became expendable to the Texans after the team traded a second- and a third-round pick to Oakland in exchange for cornerback Phillip Buchanon, who is eight years younger than Glenn. Buchanon and second-year player Dunta Robinson will be the Texans' starting cornerbacks in 2005. Demarcus Faggins will be the nickel back, and free-agent signee Lewis Sanders is projected to be on the field when the Texans use four corners.

"I told Aaron that it was a blessing to play with him," said Robinson, who considered Glenn a mentor during his rookie season. "To be a rookie in this league and get a chance to play with a guy with his knowledge and experience, a guy who was willing to share that with me ... I told him I couldn't thank him enough."

Texans coach Dom Capers met with Glenn the day the Buchanon trade was completed and gave the veteran cornerback the option of staying, possibly in a reduced role, or exploring his options elsewhere. When Glenn found a willing partner in the Cowboys, the Texans granted him his release.

"I have a tremendous amount of respect for Aaron Glenn," Texans coach Dom Capers said in a statement released by the team. "I appreciate all that he has done for us in the time that he's been here. He set the tone as far as leadership and work ethic for our franchise over the first three years. He's the type of player you enjoy coaching. You hate to lose him, but it's the nature of the business, and we wish Aaron nothing but the best."

The Texans will have new starters at four different positions on defense; five if you include strong safety Glenn Earl, who took over as the starter in the second half of the season after Eric Brown was benched. Inside linebackers Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman, both three-year starters, were released last month as the Texans continued to get younger and faster on defense. Brown also was cut.

The Texans believe their pass defense must improve if they are to take the next step toward postseason contention, especially competing in the same division as the Indianapolis Colts, who had three 1,000-yard receivers and a quarterback who had an NFL-record 49 touchdown passes in 2004.

The Texans were among the NFL's worst teams at defending the pass. They were 24th in passing yards allowed and 30th in TD passes surrendered.

With Glenn out of the mix, free safety Marcus Coleman becomes the senior member of the secondary, and even more will be expected of Robinson, who led the team with six interceptions as a rookie.

"We'll have some new faces, but one of the first things Aaron told me last year was that this is a business, and a lot of things are going to happen," Robinson said. "He said some of the people who are here now won't be here next year. Things change in this league."...

So basically... quite a few of ya are right...
- when PB came in AG was in early stages of being out
- AG was a mentor to DRob
- mutual respect between Texans and AG
- we were on the low end of pass defense
- and players understand it's a business decision

infantrycak
04-27-2005, 12:59 PM
By bringing in a player like PB you are telling someone that you are not happy with their job. It's a more than subtle way of saying you need to upgrade the position. PB wasn't going to be a happy camper being a nickel back, and I doubt we spend a 2nd and 3rd rounder to do so. Come on man it's as plain as day.

Well, regardless of whether it is plain as day, I just hope the move works. If Buchanon doesn't equal Glenn's performance last year I will join you in criticizing the move and in particular letting Glenn go--but I am not going to pre-judge his performance at this point. I hope Hoke had some major input on this call.

One other point for all the folks who don't think there is a chance of Buchanon/Greenwood meeting or exceeding Glenn/Sharper's performance last year--think about the after the fact "slamming" Glenn & Sharper have gotten around here. I see no reason to believe the same phenomenon didn't happen in Miami and Oakland.

MojoMan
04-27-2005, 01:08 PM
As we saw with the attempted Orlando Pace trade, the Texans are always trying to upgrade every position. Everyone is expendable. All of these guys know, or at least they should know, that if they are looking for a job that provides job security, then perhaps a position with the Social Security Administration is the way to go. There is not guaranteed job security in the NFL, or with the Houston Texans organization. That applies not only to the players, but also includes the coach and the GM.