PDA

View Full Version : Manning had surgery Today

srrono
10-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Gary said on 610

Manning has surgery, out at least four weeks
By Nick Scurfield

Posted 11 minutes ago

aaTexans safety Danieal Manning will miss at least four weeks after having surgery on his left leg, Texans coach Gary Kubiak said.
Texans free safety Danieal Manning will miss at least four weeks after having surgery on his left leg Monday morning.

Coach Gary Kubiak said that Manning’s injury was to his fibula. He was injured on Sunday at Tennessee while making a leaping interception in the second quarter and left LP Field on crutches.

“What’ll take place is we’ll start the rehab process,” Kubiak said. “We think there’s an opportunity for him to come back this year.

“We’re definitely talking about somewhere four weeks and beyond, whatever that’s going to be. We’d love to wait on Danieal. We’d love to get him back before this season’s over.”

Third-year free safety Troy Nolan moves into the starting lineup with Manning out. Kubiak said Nolan played about 30 snaps against the Titans without any mental mistakes.

Luv_ya_blue
10-24-2011, 04:38 PM
He's gonna retire...

gtexan02
10-24-2011, 04:39 PM
He's gonna retire...

Daniel Manning, I assume by the thread's location.

4-10 weeks is what I'm hearing.

Speedy recovery D Manning

Luv_ya_blue
10-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Daniel Manning, I assume by the thread's location.

4-10 weeks is what I'm hearing.

Speedy recovery D Manning

Ahhh...didn't catch that.

Ole Miss Texan
10-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Wasn't able to really see much of the game. What happened on the play? I heard he fractured his leg?

I like how the back half of our schedule looks right now. We've got the hardest games out of the way and the remaining all look winnable. There's no "easy" games in the NFL... but I would put us as favorites in each one.

5/9 are at home.
The 'toughest' ones are at home.
We have a bye week to rest.

Best wishes to Manning for a speedy recovery. I hope he makes it back to form by the end of the season to help us in the playoffs!!

GP
10-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Quin and Nolan (at Safety) I would assume?

I wouldn't mind bringing in a guy like Roy Williams JUST to add as insurance and to use as a mentor to Quin and Nolan. If we make it to playoffs, we need the mentoring for all these weeks leading up to the playoff games.

Safe to say that the additions of Joseph and Manning, along with Wade Phillips at d-coord, has made a world of difference. I was watching the Titans sideline Sunday...saw Frank Bush yelling out instructions to the Titans defenders on the field, and I shuddered a little bit. Yikes. We're improved on many levels.

Dutchrudder
10-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Hopefully we won't need him or AJ for the next 5 weeks or so and can give them both extra rest. No reason to trot Manning out there early when the Titans fall apart and the Texans can win the division with a 9-7 record.

TimeKiller
10-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Awful. He's been awesome and a big reason why this defense is turning around. Hopefully they can take another big hit in stride and keep up the pace. Let him get the time to get healthy, he'll be back for a push at the end and into the playoffs. Playoffs?

I can dream.

Texan_Bill
10-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Ahhh...didn't catch that.

Ha!! I thought you were just being snarky! LOL!

ThaShark316
10-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Gary also said they want to look at Brandon Harris to play some safety. Also, (obviously) Nolan's the starter.

Hardcore Texan
10-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Hopefully we won't need him or AJ for the next 5 weeks or so and can give them both extra rest. No reason to trot Manning out there early when the Titans fall apart and the Texans can win the division with a 9-7 record.

I like the foreshadowing in bold. And I hate to get ahead of myself here.......talking about playoffs this early. But if we do make the playoffs, I want the Texans to do all they can for the highest seed so we can have a home game.

However I agree about not bringing them back until they are fully healthy.

srrono
10-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Manning has surgery, out at least four weeks
By Nick Scurfield

Posted 11 minutes ago

aaTexans safety Danieal Manning will miss at least four weeks after having surgery on his left leg, Texans coach Gary Kubiak said.
Texans free safety Danieal Manning will miss at least four weeks after having surgery on his left leg Monday morning.

Coach Gary Kubiak said that Manning’s injury was to his fibula. He was injured on Sunday at Tennessee while making a leaping interception in the second quarter and left LP Field on crutches.

“What’ll take place is we’ll start the rehab process,” Kubiak said. “We think there’s an opportunity for him to come back this year.

“We’re definitely talking about somewhere four weeks and beyond, whatever that’s going to be. We’d love to wait on Danieal. We’d love to get him back before this season’s over.”

Third-year free safety Troy Nolan moves into the starting lineup with Manning out. Kubiak said Nolan played about 30 snaps against the Titans without any mental mistakes.

welsh texan
10-24-2011, 05:02 PM
As already mentioned the schedule looks pretty nice from here on out.

Let's hope Quin can step up and wasn't needing too much on-the-field mentoring from Manning, time to see what he's made of.

It's also Nolan's chance to sink or swim, he's been hit and miss in his opportunities throughout his career, with highlight reel plays offset by some really poor coverage at times, lets see what he's got.

I'm a little worried about Keo needing to play rotational snaps now and am concerned about his readyness to play that much.

I'm wondering if this is Kareem Jackson's time to move to safety, he hasn't impressed this season, and got benched in the last game. Jason Allen has shown himself to be our second best safety while McCain is doing the job in the slot. With Harris and Charmichael yet to see the field in a significant manner its hard to see how Jackson can hold down a spot at corner and maybe a move is his last hope.

GP
10-24-2011, 05:12 PM

Only long-time posters on here would know how to read that last bit there.

It's like hearing your wife say to you "No, your breath doesn't smell bad. I mean, it smells a little...but it's not bad." You still don't know if you're good to go, or what, and you sort of talk to people from a distance juuuuust in case.

Wade Phillips is that little last piece of minty gum that you chew, because you had to split it with your wife and kids since it was the last piece in the car. But you think "Geez, I think my breath stills smells. I hope that 1/4th piece of gum masks it enough. And what if I popped into my mouth too early?"

What will our breath smell like at the end of the season? Fresh and minty, or a bit smelly, or severe halitosis? That's the big question. LOL.

SteveSlaton20
10-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Godspeed.

CloakNNNdagger
10-24-2011, 06:44 PM
This was a response that I made in an old thread when the question came up after "fibula" was named in the Texans injury report.

What is DM's "fibula" injury?

The least injury that I can think of to the fibula is a bone bruise, which can lead to generalized pain in the area. Still this injury usually is rested for a week or so. X-rays and bone scans do not usually pick this type of injury up. MRI will demonstrate bone marrow swelling to make the diagnosis. The thing you worry about is a stress fracture which may manifest initially with the same presentation but may not be able to be visualized on x-ray or bone scan for 10 days or so. If repeat exams are performed then, if present, a stress fracture can identified. An MRI will show the same marrow swelling as seen in a bone bruise, and possibly pick the fracture site up initially........but it also can in some cases miss the early stress fracture. It should readily identify it later. Clinically, if the pain later pin-point localizes to a spot on the fibula, an underlying stress fracture is likely present. A stress fracture can take anywhere from 6-8 weeks to recover, depending on the severity and progress.

Hopefully, "fibula" on the Injury Report refers to a "bone bruise."

Obviously, my concern was one of Manning having a stress fracture at the time.

It seems that, either the diagnosis of stress fracture wasn't made or wasn't given enough time to be made or they let him try to play and hoped that he would hold up without the fracture extending. Either way, things didn't work out very well and he has had surgery.

For elite athletes, metal hardware support of the fracture site is sometimes entertained prophylactically, especially if the cortical (outer surface layer) bone disruption is significant and there is fear of subsequent bone segment displacement. Hardware and electro-growth stimulation of the bone and injection of growth factors into the fracture site will be probably be used together to bring about more predictable and faster healing. You do worry about the increased risks of infection and other problems associated with the placement of metal hardware. The serial MRIs will tell the story of how the fracture is healing and if Manning will even be given the opportunity to return to play at the very tail end of the season.

Here is a (bloodless) video of a surgery somewhat similar to what Manning probably underwent. VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKeJd0j2J4E)

Tailgate
10-24-2011, 06:59 PM
I was wondering how he broke a bone simply by going up to catch a football. Thanks...

Wolf
10-24-2011, 07:23 PM
I was wondering how he broke a bone simply by going up to catch a football. Thanks...

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_full_width_scaled/hash/59/d2/59d27a084333705fafc2a2259ffb53c8.jpg

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_full_width_scaled/hash/31/8f/318fb2060ef9ba9a3b3bb5a4bb7233cc.jpg
http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/texans-titans-photos-1

speedfreek
10-24-2011, 07:33 PM
we cant catch a break on the injury bug.

need to bring someone else in

TJ

steelbtexan
10-24-2011, 09:28 PM
we cant catch a break on the injury bug.

need to bring someone else in

TJ

If Gary had not let Manning play as C-N-D suggested and had another MRI done, Manning would probably be be healthy and playing after the Jags game. So it's not all luck.

But no, Gary had to rush Manning out there. God I hope Gary learned his lesson and doesn't rush AJ back.

Thanks for the video C-N-D. It made my shin/ankle twitch. LOL

Looks painful

Dishman
10-24-2011, 09:42 PM
That's too bad. I was real nervous after reading about DM's fibula injury. The Texans medical staff. :voodoo:

DX-TEX
10-24-2011, 10:27 PM
So wait... will he or wont he be back in 4 weeks???

Carr Bombed
10-24-2011, 10:35 PM
If Gary had not let Manning play as C-N-D suggested and had another MRI done, Manning would probably be be healthy and playing after the Jags game. So it's not all luck.

But no, Gary had to rush Manning out there. God I hope Gary learned his lesson and doesn't rush AJ back.

Thanks for the video C-N-D. It made my shin/ankle twitch. LOL

Looks painful

Gary is not a doctor so this has nothing to do with him and the criticism is kinda unfair. Everybody has a job to do and his job is to coach...it's the trainers/medical staff's job to keep our players healthy, make the correct diagnosis, and come up with the appropriate "recovery plan" when players are hurt/injured. Players have to be "medically cleared" before they can ever return to practice. This isn't Kubiak's job... What it's sounding like is we have a obvious incompetent medical staff.

texanhead08
10-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Quin and Nolan (at Safety) I would assume?

I wouldn't mind bringing in a guy like Roy Williams JUST to add as insurance and to use as a mentor to Quin and Nolan. If we make it to playoffs, we need the mentoring for all these weeks leading up to the playoff games.

Safe to say that the additions of Joseph and Manning, along with Wade Phillips at d-coord, has made a world of difference. I was watching the Titans sideline Sunday...saw Frank Bush yelling out instructions to the Titans defenders on the field, and I shuddered a little bit. Yikes. We're improved on many levels.

For what?? To show them how to leave WR's wide open??

Luv_ya_blue
10-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Gary is not a doctor so this has nothing to do with him and the criticism is kinda unfair. Everybody has a job to do and his job is to coach...it's the trainers/medical staff's job to keep our players healthy, make the correct diagnosis, and come up with the appropriate "recovery plan" when players are hurt/injured. Players have to be "medically cleared" before they can ever return to practice. This isn't Kubiak's job... What it's sounding like is we have a obvious incompetent medical staff.

Personally, I've wondered about that very fact for a number of years now.

GuerillaBlack
10-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Personally, I've wondered about that very fact for a number of years now.

You'd think with having the TMC down the street, they'd be better.

GP
10-24-2011, 10:54 PM
For what?? To show them how to leave WR's wide open??

Yeah, it just reminded me of last year when our guys on defense would yell at each other, make big motions with their arms trying to wave guys over into a better position, guys shrugging shoulders and acting like "What do I do?!?!?"

And then the ball snaps and we get burned. Over and over.

This year? Guys are not only in position, but they are shifting all at once and 90% of the time everybody knows where to go and what to do at the snap.

Watching Frank Bush yell at the Titans defense from the sideline, I had the feeling that those guys out on the field had lost before the game even began.

Luv_ya_blue
10-24-2011, 10:56 PM
You'd think with having the TMC down the street, they'd be better.

Not just better...the BEST!

steelbtexan
10-24-2011, 11:25 PM
So wait... will he or wont he be back in 4 weeks???

Probably not

steelbtexan
10-24-2011, 11:40 PM

I've wondered if Gary puts the Texans medical staff under pressure to let guys play before they are truly healthy?

The Dr.'s probably know better. But like everything else in life it seems like $$$$. trumps everything else in football and the medical treatment. The Dr's work for the team 1st and foremost and will do what's in the best interest of the team over the best interest of the health of the player. (See C-N-D's fears about Mannings bone bruise.)

What the Texans should do is hire somebody like C-N-D to study their opponents IR the week of the game and let them know how they can take advantage of said players injury. (See Fosters right hamstring pull, he wont be making sharp cuts on it etc....) It could be a very useful tool and help the Texans make 1/2 plays a game that could be the difference in making the playoffs or not.

C-N-D can speak on these subjects much better than i can. But I certianly wouldn't blame him if he avoided this subject like the plague.

Kthx
10-25-2011, 12:12 AM
Seems like it would sorta be abusing the whole Hippocratic Oath thing to use the knowledge you have as a doctor to tell people where the dagger is going to slide in easiest :P

Wolf
10-31-2011, 05:26 PM
AJ's blog from Oct 27th

Dr. Kenneth First of All American Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Institute joined Mark and John on SportsRadio 610 this morning and discussed the progress of Andre Johnson’s hamstring injury and Daniel Manning’s fractured fibula.

Listen to the entire audio here (the Manning comments start around the 4:00 minute mark). (http://houston.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.podtrac.com%2Fpts%2F redirect.mp3%2Fnyc.podcast.play.it%2Fmedia%2Fd0%2F d0%2Fd0%2FdZ%2Fd3%2FdH%2FdL%2FZ3HL_3.MP3&podcast_name=Dr.+Kenneth+First&podcast_artist=Vandermeer+and+Lopez&station_id=&audio_link=true&config_file=config.xml&dcid=CBS.HOUSTON)

We've heard plenty about Andre and the persistent 'tugging' in his hamstring so we'll leave that one alone. The Texans need to sit Andre until he feels right and I think they know that. Since we haven't heard much about Manning since his surgery, let's take a closer look at his situation.

Initial reports on Manning were that he would miss at least four weeks, however Dr. First said today that Manning's recovery time could be as long as eight weeks.

"Danieal Manning had a fractured fibula which is the smaller bone (in the lower leg) down by the ankle," said First. "He had not a very complicated fracture but no question a crack in the bone. He had a surgical plate applied to that bone, a small stainless steel plate with several screws in it. That injury, to come back in four weeks would be, I hate to say this guys, incredibly optimistic."

Keep in mind that Dr. First is not affiliated with the Texans and is offering his opinion based on his professional experience in orthopedic surgery and sports medicine.

First said that much of Manning's recovery will involve regaining strength and balance in the ankle.

"This is going to be more in the 6-8 week category in terms of what he has to do on the field," i.e., backpedaling, changing directions, etc., said First. "If you're asking me, I'd be shocked if he was back on the field in four weeks. (That's) asking a bit too much."

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/texans-injury-notes-manning-returning-four-weeks-is-incredibly-optimistic

CloakNNNdagger
10-31-2011, 05:47 PM
AJ's blog from Oct 27th
Initial reports on Manning were that he would miss at least four weeks, however Dr. First said today that Manning's recovery time could be as long as eight weeks.

"Danieal Manning had a fractured fibula which is the smaller bone (in the lower leg) down by the ankle," said First. "He had not a very complicated fracture but no question a crack in the bone. He had a surgical plate applied to that bone, a small stainless steel plate with several screws in it. That injury, to come back in four weeks would be, I hate to say this guys, incredibly optimistic."

Keep in mind that Dr. First is not affiliated with the Texans and is offering his opinion based on his professional experience in orthopedic surgery and sports medicine.

First said that much of Manning's recovery will involve regaining strength and balance in the ankle.

"This is going to be more in the 6-8 week category in terms of what he has to do on the field," i.e., backpedaling, changing directions, etc., said First. "If you're asking me, I'd be shocked if he was back on the field in four weeks. (That's) asking a bit too much."

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/texans-injury-notes-manning-returning-four-weeks-is-incredibly-optimistic

Thanks for posting this Wolf,

This was the surgery that I posted the video on earlier in this thread as being the most likely procedure that he underwent. Dr. First and I evidently both share a great skepticism concerning the 4 week return, and give the same estimate of 6-8 weeks. That said, the latter would still depend on many things falling into place.

ThaJokaa
10-31-2011, 05:56 PM
As long as he's good to go when the playoffs start, take time n recover

Dutchrudder
10-31-2011, 06:33 PM
As long as he's good to go when the playoffs start, take time n recover

Yep. Same should go for AJ over the next few weeks. If he sits out until after the Bye, I won't mind even though I have him on one of my Fantasy teams... :)