PDA

View Full Version : Arian Foster's pro day.. Wow!!

stingray
10-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Found this article in old UDFA thread. Besides having issues with the coach, his pro day was nothing to brag about. Amazing how the draft is such a crapshoot.

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/edwards/2009/03/arain_foster_has_rough_pro_day.html

Foster posted times of 4.73 and 4.69 seconds in the 40-yard dash. Foster's best time in the 40 is about 0.14 seconds slower than the benchmark scouts look for in running backs.

In the short shuttle, which measures flexibility, burst and balance, Foster ran a 4.53. That's about 0.3 seconds slower than the ideal. Foster's 32-inch vertical jump was about 4 inches short of the ideal, too. A 9-7 broad jump wasn't off the charts, either.

The only positive which did measure the one thing that makes him special.

The one good test for Foster was the three-cone drill, which tries to measure agility and change of direction. His time of 7.09 seconds was well ahead of the curve.

ArlingtonTexan
10-24-2011, 09:13 AM
His hip movement is incredible. Both quick and smooth. What funny about his fourty time is that in the open field he is not caught that often. On the long pass play on Sunday, several guys were in range, but never gained enough ground.

Mr teX
10-24-2011, 09:13 AM
The comments to that article are especially funny...& yeah, that agility test is what matters most for him...so it's not surprising he's done well in our system.

stingray
10-24-2011, 09:15 AM
The comments to that article are especially funny...

I wonder if that guy ever jumped off the bridge.. Lol.

Rey
10-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Found this article in old UDFA thread. Besides having issues with the coach, his pro day was nothing to brag about. Amazing how the draft is such a crapshoot.

I understand what you are saying, but just I just want to add something...

I don't think the draft is a crapshoot...Sure you have some surprises, and some guys don't pan out but you can scout well and draft well if you are prepared an know what you're doing...

The draft is a crapshoot for those that don't have a clue at all of what they are doing.

stingray
10-24-2011, 09:51 AM

I don't think the draft is a crapshoot...Sure you have some surprises, and some guys don't pan out but you can scout well and draft well if you are prepared an know what you're doing...

The draft is a crapshoot for those that don't have a clue at all of what they are doing.

I guess I didn't mean that the whole draft is a crapshoot, I meant some players in general.

Honoring Earl 34
10-24-2011, 10:09 AM

I think 40 times and such are ok for projections as to potential but they don't trump production . Foster was a good SEC back at a 4.65 which is better than a 4.4 in the CUSA . Foster's best asset can't be timed and that's his vision and anticipation .

BigBull17
10-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Also shows you that game speed is different than your 40 time. He looks so much faster that most of the RB's in the NFL, yet he struggled with his running. Numbers help, but shouldn't be a be all end all.

Hardcore Texan
10-24-2011, 11:02 AM
His hip move is incredible. Both quick and smotth. What funny about his fourty time is that in the open field he is caught that often. On the long pass play on sunday, several guys were in range, but never gained enouhg ground.

Exactly. Except I think you mean "isn't caught that often".

I have been saying it sometime now, he has just enough top end speed to have the home run threat. He did it yesterday, and last year against the Raiders comes to mind after being held out half the game.

Playing speed and 40 time are two different animals. His lateral quickness, acceleration, vision and balance are terrific.

ArlingtonTexan
10-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Exactly. Except I think you mean "isn't caught that often".

I have been saying it sometime now, he has just enough top end speed to have the home run threat. He did it yesterday, and last year against the Raiders comes to mind after being held out half the game.

Playing speed and 40 time are two different animals. His lateral quickness, acceleration, vision and balance or terrific.

Yeah, that typing was horrible, but you have an or instead of are. :user:

HJam72
10-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Looking at hose numbers, I don't think Foster is a very good RB. We should trade him. :boogereater:

Dutchrudder
10-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Could Arian's leg injury have played a role in his sub-par numbers? I'm not sure what the timeline on his recovery was and how close that was to the combine.

badboy
10-24-2011, 11:34 AM
game film

HJam72
10-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Could Arian's leg injury have played a role in his sub-par numbers? I'm not sure what the timeline on his recovery was and how close that was to the combine.

I don't know, but it really doesn't surprise me to find out that he's not that fast and that he can't jump very high. I don't consider either one of those skills to be very important for an NFL RB. You don't see them running full speed very often anyway, and when you do it's usually on a sweep that won't work, because it's the N F L. Besides that, we do have a scheme that calls even more for that vision and cutting ability. Speed is useless for so many RBs that just run into the pile.

I tell ya who can run and jump is Reggie Bush. He ain't no RB, but he can sure run and jump.

Hardcore Texan
10-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Yeah, that typing was horrible, but you have an or instead of are. :user:

I seem to do that a lot more than I used to for some reason.

The Pencil Neck
10-24-2011, 11:55 AM
How did he score on the vision and heart tests?

Oh.

Wait.

Vinny
10-24-2011, 12:06 PM
people look at the combine all wrong. It ain't a place to determine who can play (that's for the field). It's just a tool to measure measurables, meet can compare the top players. I've never seen a first down made by a measurable. I think the fans put more into this event as a decision making tool than the teams do.

HJam72
10-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Wonder what Kareem Jackson's numbers were....or did he fall down? :mcnugget:

Honoring Earl 34
10-24-2011, 12:15 PM
people look at the combine all wrong. It ain't a place to determine who can play (that's for the field). It's just a tool to measure measurables, meet can compare the top players. I've never seen a first down made by a measurable. I think the fans put more into this event as a decision making tool than the teams do.

I think some teams fall in love with numbers and measureables and reach . Let's see ... hmmm ... Kareem Jackson's knock was speed and he trained to hit a 4.4 forty and got it . Because he was Saban coached and could run he was drafted in the 1st round .

Others include Mike Mamula , John Stephens , the guy the Titans picked from Arizona in the 2nd that played in Houston , Vernon Davis , Bruce Campbell , and Mario to an extent .

hradhak
10-24-2011, 12:18 PM
40 time is nothing if you don't have the vision and know how to hit the hole. Most of the time the running back has to delay anyway so that the o line can open a hole.

I would like to see some sort of measurable for cutback for runningbacks though. Foster may not have the best 40 time, but his cutbacks are amazing to watch.

Dutchrudder
10-24-2011, 12:26 PM
All I can say is that when Arian's out there running in space, he doesn't look like a 4.7 runner to me. Maybe he is and his agility masks his slightly slower pace, but it sure doesn't seem that way.

TexansFanatic
10-24-2011, 12:36 PM
The one good test for Foster was the three-cone drill, which tries to measure agility and change of direction. His time of 7.09 seconds was well ahead of the curve.

This is where Arian's bread is buttered.

His gift for change of direction suits him perfectly for Kubiak's one-cut-and-go offense.

That move he put on Michael Griffin was so effortless and yet so deadly.

We're really lucky this guy slipped through the cracks.

DX-TEX
10-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Wonder what Kareem Jackson's numbers were....or did he fall down? :mcnugget:

Tripped on a cone, got up and shoved the cone in the back.

VTexan
10-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Chris Johnson, another combine warrior now being exposed for what he is.

EVOLVIST
10-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Chris Johnson, another combine warrior now being exposed for what he is.

What do you mean? I'm not a CJ fan, but c'mon, 1,228, 2,006, 1,364 ....this guy is not a flash in the pan. He'll get another grand on the ground...maybe not this year, but book it.

Vinny
10-24-2011, 01:00 PM
What do you mean? I'm not a CJ fan, but c'mon, 1,228, 2,006, 1,364 ....this guy is not a flash in the pan. He'll get another grand on the ground...maybe not this year, but book it.

Teams don't like smallish backs because they don't hold up. Some do of course... To me, he had dead legs and no explosion. May sound nuts, but he may be past his prime. He's a speed guy who looks like he lost his quickness. There were plenty of times he had the ball in space and couldn't make a guy miss. Look at Foster yesterday...there were two Titans in front of him on his long play that broke right...but he made an explosive move to the right and he was gone. CJ had a few opportunities to do the same yesterday and his legs were stuck in sand.

Porky
10-24-2011, 01:07 PM

In some cases, I agree, but if measurables weren't taken into great consideration, then expalin how Foster went totally undrafted?

What measurables cannot accurately measure is v-i-s-i-o-n. Foster has elite vision, and he is also a perfect fit for the scheme. Combine that with excellent game speed, elite hip swivel and very good change of direction and cutting skills and you add it all together, and you have the best UDFA RB in the modern era of football imo.

Anyone want to argue for Priest Holmes or someone I am not thinking of?

Vinny
10-24-2011, 01:08 PM
In some cases, I agree, but if measurables weren't taken into great consideration, then expalin how Foster went totally undrafted?

What measurables cannot accurately measure is v-i-s-i-o-n. Foster has elite vision, and he is also a perfect fit for the scheme. Combine that with excellent game speed, elite hip swivel and very good change of direction and cutting skills and you add it all together, and you have the best UDFA RB in the modern era of football imo.

Anyone want to argue for Priest Holmes or someone I am not thinking of?Priest didn't even start at UT right? Foster was a headcase and the University coaches badmouthed him. I think he just pissed off too many people and rb's come and go...dime a dozen.

Porky
10-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Priest didn't even start at UT right? Foster was a headcase and the University coaches badmouthed him. I think he just pissed off too many people and rb's come and go...dime a dozen.

Ya I do now remember that he had some maturity issues and that his coaches were dogging him to the NFL coaches that came calling.

We have often bashed the Texans scouts, but I have to hand it to them for recommending this guy as a good fit in the ZBS. I remember I was pretty excited landing Foster as a UDFA and perhaps becoming a good depth back, but I don't think anyone could have predicted this - this is a guy that is arguably top 5 in the league at everything you can ask of a RB to do and those don't grow on trees.

I wonder if hindsight were 20/20 and teams would have predicted this type of production from him, where he would have been drafted in 2009?

Hardcore Texan
10-24-2011, 01:32 PM
All I can say is that when Arian's out there running in space, he doesn't look like a 4.7 runner to me. Maybe he is and his agility masks his slightly slower pace, but it sure doesn't seem that way.

This is where Arian's bread is buttered.

His gift for change of direction suits him perfectly for Kubiak's one-cut-and-go offense.

That move he put on Michael Griffin was so effortless and yet so deadly.

We're really lucky this guy slipped through the cracks.

It'd be interesting to look how fast Griffin ran the 40, cause he couldn't catch Foster.

Vinny
10-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Ya I do now remember that he had some maturity issues and that his coaches were dogging him to the NFL coaches that came calling.

We have often bashed the Texans scouts, but I have to hand it to them for recommending this guy as a good fit in the ZBS. I remember I was pretty excited landing Foster as a UDFA and perhaps becoming a good depth back, but I don't think anyone could have predicted this - this is a guy that is arguably top 5 in the league at everything you can ask of a RB to do and those don't grow on trees.

I wonder if hindsight were 20/20 and teams would have predicted this type of production from him, where he would have been drafted in 2009?

yeah, the Texans scouts have not been the bright spot of the franchise from day 1, but this is certainly one that merits praise.

TexansFanatic
10-24-2011, 01:36 PM
It'd be interesting to look how fast Griffin ran the 40, cause he couldn't catch Foster.

ran a 4.45 and a 4.42

Texn4life
10-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Does anyone know what his broad jump was? This is one of the only things I look at outside of the 40 because it shows explosion and a quick burst. I know he wasn't completely healthy when he tested, but I would bet anything he had a pretty good broad jump.

TexansFanatic
10-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Does anyone know what his broad jump was? This is one of the only things I look at outside of the 40 because it shows explosion and a quick burst. I know he wasn't completely healthy when he tested, but I would bet anything he had a pretty good broad jump.

9'7" per Wikipedia.

Texn4life
10-24-2011, 01:43 PM
9'7" per Wikipedia.

Wow, yeah that's pretty surprising. I would figure he'd be at least over 10.

thunderkyss
10-24-2011, 02:15 PM
I think 40 times and such are ok for projections as to potential but they don't trump production . Foster was a good SEC back at a 4.65 which is better than a 4.4 in the CUSA . Foster's best asset can't be timed and that's his vision and anticipation .

I think this falls into the "don't know what you're doing" category Rey was talking about.

That 40 time without the production is fools gold & it will get you everytime.

GlassHalfFull
10-24-2011, 02:20 PM

I know of a player that is blazing fast on the field when he is being chased, but turns in slow times against the clock. Sometimes some people may just need that extra incentive to get in gear.

foo82
10-24-2011, 02:23 PM
His hip movement is incredible. Both quick and smooth. What funny about his fourty time is that in the open field he is not caught that often. On the long pass play on Sunday, several guys were in range, but never gained enough ground.

It's due to his ability to change directions. If he were running in a straight line, he would have been tackled long ago. I did notice on long run plays, he actually gets caught fairly often. He just has the ability to make people miss. Rarely have I seen him actually break away from the defender in a straight line run.

Dutchrudder
10-24-2011, 02:27 PM
I know of a player that is blazing fast on the field when he is being chased, but turns in slow times against the clock. Sometimes some people may just need that extra incentive to get in gear.

Yeah, the Combine needs to add a '40 yard dash while being chased by a bloodthirsty panther' event. Or better yet, host the Combine in Spain and have all the athletes participate in a 'Running of the Bulls'. Those who get impaled don't get drafted. Could work and make the offseason much more entertaining.

GlassHalfFull
10-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Yeah, the Combine needs to add a '40 yard dash while being chased by a bloodthirsty panther' event. Or better yet, host the Combine in Spain and have all the athletes participate in a 'Running of the Bulls'. Those who get impaled don't get drafted. Could work and make the offseason much more entertaining.

:polevault: lol. this is a good idea.

Runner
10-24-2011, 03:03 PM

"It's not how fast you are, it's how fast you are when someone is chasing you".
----Marcus Allen

TexansFanatic
10-24-2011, 03:07 PM
----Marcus Allen

Marcus said that? I thought OJ said that. (oh no you dih-int!)

The Pencil Neck
10-24-2011, 03:09 PM
----Marcus Allen

What was it that Jacoby Jones said about Next Guy speed? No matter how fast the guy is next to me, I'm faster.

Arian is a lot like Terrell Davis, another 4.6+ 40 yard dash guy. He's got the vision to see the cutbacks, the maneuverability to make the cut, and enough speed to get through the line. And once he's through, he runs away from a lot of people who are supposed to be faster than he is.

Honoring Earl 34
10-24-2011, 03:23 PM

While carrying 25 lbs .

Marcus
10-24-2011, 03:46 PM
So do you think it would be wise to pay Arian the big bucks, considering what Chris Johnson is doing since he got the $53 million?

I'm just not buying this idea that this is just a temporary slump that he's in. I think Johnson is satisfied now, (who wouldn't be after getting $35 million guaranteed upfront?) and therefore doesn't have the hunger and the drive to be the best he could possibly be. The determination to get that big money contract supersedes anything else. Now, I'm not saying that he's playing now with a total lack of heart, and conditioning might be factor somewhat, but I think his best years are behind him, and most certainly not worth what they are paying him. And I'll bet that Titans FO wishes that would have dealt him away and gotten a pretty penny for him.

Now, look at Foster. The dude's iron is hot, and will get even hotter with the way he's performing, and if the team makes the playoffs, Foster will have a lot to do with it. And his agent is already doing cartwheels.

I know Bob McNair stated that he would pay Foster the big money if he repeated this year what he did
last year. But I got to wonder if we'll end up with another Chris Johnson.

Edit: And only on a football message board, will you find someone saying "the draft is NOT a crapshoot".

thunderkyss
10-24-2011, 03:50 PM
So do you think it would be wise to pay Arian the big bucks, considering what Chris Johnson is doing since he got the $53 million?

Arian Foster strikes me as Ricky Williams Kooky kinda funny. You pay him & there ain't no telling what he's going to do.

The difference, though, is that I think Arian feels like he is part of something here, that he is building something, which Ricky probably never got.

His first three years were injury strung after never having an injury at UT. Then In Miami, there was just so much going on at that time.

TexansFanatic
10-24-2011, 03:51 PM

It's a fair question. You certainly don't want to overpay at the running back position, but I'm now convinced Arian is a special player and the Texans would be foolish to let him get away.

As for Chris Johnson---I don't think it's fair to compare Arian to him. Johnson is an asshole and the Titans were idiots for not seeing it.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Hyc0BlZ3Dog/Tl8jITzVwpI/AAAAAAAAACc/0D3c6NyjYCs/s1600/CJ2k.PNG

TimeKiller
10-24-2011, 05:05 PM
dis thred winz

Foster does a few things pretty well, 1. Makes sharp cuts 2. Doesn't lose his momentum when doing so and 3. Knows the system very well. Knows where his blockers are and where they are going. That's how he turns less than freak status athleticism into a monster. CJ looks like he didn't workout much during the lockout. So his freak athleticism isn't all there and his freak other football skills are...well...getting him about 60 yards a game or something like that. Guess he thought the lockout was real?

Marcus
10-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Arian Foster strikes me as Ricky Williams Kooky kinda funny. You pay him & there ain't no telling what he's going to do.

He reminds ME of Duane Thomas. He wasn't that good on measurables, but was slippery as an eel on the field, But he also marched to a different drummer, and was a time-bomb that eventually went off.

I dunno, man. Here we have an undrafted free agent who is getting paid squat, that even now, would command at least 2 first round draft picks, plus a player. Hmmmm.

But, if we paid him, he wouldn't be worth that.

Rey
10-24-2011, 06:02 PM
100 yard speed and 40 yard speed aren't the same thing....

Some guys have super fast take offs and some guys can really haul ass when they get a chance to open up.

Arian has great vision, takes great angles and his lateral agility is at an elite level.

The dude is the truth.

infantrycak
10-24-2011, 06:14 PM
He reminds ME of Duane Thomas.

That is a very interesting comparison on the field.

Double Barrel
10-24-2011, 06:20 PM

I'm just not buying this idea that this is just a temporary slump that he's in. I think Johnson is satisfied now, (who wouldn't be after getting $35 million guaranteed upfront?) and therefore doesn't have the hunger and the drive to be the best he could possibly be. The determination to get that big money contract supersedes anything else. Now, I'm not saying that he's playing now with a total lack of heart, and conditioning might be factor somewhat, but I think his best years are behind him, and most certainly not worth what they are paying him. And I'll bet that Titans FO wishes that would have dealt him away and gotten a pretty penny for him.

Now, look at Foster. The dude's iron is hot, and will get even hotter with the way he's performing, and if the team makes the playoffs, Foster will have a lot to do with it. And his agent is already doing cartwheels.

I know Bob McNair stated that he would pay Foster the big money if he repeated this year what he did
last year. But I got to wonder if we'll end up with another Chris Johnson.

Edit: And only on a football message board, will you find someone saying "the draft is NOT a crapshoot".

Good question, and I've wondered the same thing. You know McNair will pay him, especially if his arc continues this season.

So the big question is will he be like Chris Johnson? Or, will he be like other RBs who got paid but had an inner drive to climb even higher? We can find solid examples of both, but in the end, we do not know what motivates Foster and makes him tick.

Based on that E:60 story, he's got a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. But, will he still feel that way after getting paid?

It's a legit question that only time will provide us an answer.

Dutchrudder
10-24-2011, 06:23 PM
It's a fair question. You certainly don't want to overpay at the running back position, but I'm now convinced Arian is a special player and the Texans would be foolish to let him get away.

As for Chris Johnson---I don't think it's fair to compare Arian to him. Johnson is an asshole and the Titans were idiots for not seeing it.

Can't blame the Titans too much for what they did in re-signing CJ. He had played well for three straight seasons and looked like an elite RB. Personality isn't that big of a deal, given that many NFL players are assholes.

We need to lock up Arian soon though. Ray Rice and Matt Forte also have expiring contracts this year and if they sign first, then Arian's cost will go up. Arian has proved himself so far this year and it would be much more advantageous to sign him soon and leave the franchise tag for Mario Williams or possibly Rackers or Myers.

thunderkyss
10-24-2011, 06:32 PM
We need to lock up Arian soon though. Ray Rice and Matt Forte also have expiring contracts this year and if they sign first, then Arian's cost will go up. Arian has proved himself so far this year and it would be much more advantageous to sign him soon and leave the franchise tag for Mario Williams or possibly Rackers or Myers.

If he has an agent worth his fee, he won't let Arian sign anything until Ray Rice & Forte get paid.

bo orlando
10-24-2011, 06:40 PM

The scouts obviously deserve credit for Foster, but at the same time they didn't think he was even worth a 7th round pick. It's the same thing with Tom Brady. On one hand you give the Patriots credit for maybe the best draft pick ever, but on the other hand they only thought he was a 6th rounder.

Also, remember that the Texans picked Ben Tate with a 2nd rounder in the following draft.

Dutchrudder
10-24-2011, 06:41 PM
If he has an agent worth his fee, he won't let Arian sign anything until Ray Rice & Forte get paid.

Well Forte is making a statement this season, so he should be paid well. Ray Rice is having the best season of his career and ought to deserve a good chunk of change. Both will be expensive for teams, especially since Peterson re-signed for a boatload of money, but we gotta tie up our loose ends too. Forte is already clamoring for a new contract, but isn't getting anywhere with it yet. Ought to be an expensive offseason for the NFL. I just hope the salary cap goes up so we have more room to go out and buy a decent #2 WR.

silvrhand
10-24-2011, 06:46 PM
The one thing that will hurt Arian at the end of the year to sign for a huge # will be Ben Tate...

bo orlando
10-24-2011, 07:03 PM

don't most teams just use the combine to match up their prior scouting with official, controlled information on the players?

i actually think the combine is becoming a bit underrated in terms of importance. for instance, it's a big deal if you have, say, two guys who look similar on tape but one guy has more leg strength than the other or a body type that can pick up 10-20 pounds of bulk without losing speed and quickness. just looking at a player and noting that he had however many sacks or yards in college is useless without a reasonable physical projection that he can do it in the nfl.

Lucky
10-24-2011, 07:18 PM
I think Foster's just a late bloomer who's in much better shape now than as a collegian. He looked chunkier at Tennessee, and more of a power back. Still, those 40 times had to be with bad hammy that kept Arian out of the combine. He was at least a 4.5-something back in college, and sub 4.5 now. And it should be noted that Foster received a 2nd round grade by the NFL draft advisory board after his junior year.

TexansFanatic
10-24-2011, 07:51 PM
The one thing that will hurt Arian at the end of the year to sign for a huge # will be Ben Tate...

I think you're right and I think, in the end, that could hurt the Texans---if they mistakenly feel they can move forward without him.

I mentioned this before the seaon began, after a big preseason performance by Tate.

At the time, I figured it sure was nice to have Tate since we might lose Foster.

But after seven games, with Foster sometimes playing hurt or sometimes not playing at all, I'm seeing that Foster is special, a key ingredient in the Texans success, and the Texans need to pay him.

The Pencil Neck
10-24-2011, 08:44 PM
He reminds ME of Duane Thomas.

Dude. Don't even say that.

infantrycak
10-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Dude. Don't even say that.

On the field that would be a Hall of Fame type comparison.

CnD and I were talking about Foster while watching the game last weekend. Cloak noticed the high stepping, gate and frame of Foster (akin to Dickerson) while I noted his short area quickness and fluidity (akin to Emmitt). Duane Thomas on the field is a good comparison and if constrained to on the field the kind of RB teams build around. I think Arian runs with a lower pad level than Dickerson but I see the leg comparison. Dickerson tried to out run or overpower more people. Emmitt tried to slide more people. Arian seems like a good combination and Duane Thomas was a similar runner.

The Pencil Neck
10-24-2011, 08:59 PM
On the field that would be a Hall of Fame type comparison.

CnD and I were talking about Foster while watching the game last weekend. Cloak noticed the high stepping, gate and frame of Foster (akin to Dickerson) while I noted his short area quickness and fluidity (akin to Emmitt). Duane Thomas on the field is a good comparison and if constrained to on the field the kind of RB teams build around. I think Arian runs with a lower pad level than Dickerson but I see the leg comparison. Dickerson tried to out run or overpower more people. Emmitt tried to slide more people. Arian seems like a good combination and Duane Thomas was a similar runner.

On the field, yeah. But it's the OFF the field that is a demon we don't want to tempt.

TdotTexas2Step
10-24-2011, 09:08 PM
When he's running at full speed, Foster doesn't really look all that fast - at least on television. But what he does have is elite quickness and incredible patience. Those are the two traits that make him one of the best backs in the league. On most runs, he loves to take his time, follow his blocks and look for lanes, it's only really the last second or two of the run where he uses his burst.