PDA

View Full Version : Which one of our Offensive-Linemen should we support when Pro-Bowl Voting Begins ?

IDEXAN
10-24-2011, 08:30 AM
The OLine had a tremendous and very effective performance Sunday: Schaub for the most part had ample time to throw the ball and best of all we had not one but two 100-yard runners in Arian & Ben.
I think it's atleast time one of the these guys got some recognition in the form of a Pro-Bowl appearance, not just for himself but also as a rep for the entire line ? Afterall most people have been saying for a couple years now we've got one of the better offensive lines in the NFL. Somebody should have gone after Arians record year last year, but now it's really past due.

thunderkyss
10-24-2011, 08:40 AM
I haven't gone back to study the game just yet. But just from a "cursory" view, I'd say Wade Smith. When he has a good game, we have a good game. Eric Winston also looked good, but Wade Smith blew me away...... just from a quick look.

Norg
10-24-2011, 08:44 AM
havent been lookin closely at the line but from what ive seen over these years ive always thought the left side was better then the right

Brown&Wade have been playing lights out

and remember when we used to hate myers the center well hes stayed consisent and has improved greatly

Brisles is off and on from injury and winston sometimes plays so bad sometimes

IMO in the future im really thinking we could use a upgrades on da right side

alphajoker
10-24-2011, 09:03 AM
Duane Brown

mexican_texan
10-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Seth Wand

IDEXAN
10-24-2011, 09:15 AM
On the Line
How all 32 NFL teams' offensive lines rank overall and on run and pass blocks.

OVERALL RanK RUN BLOCK PASS BLOCK
1. Texans 2 1
2. Ravens 1 3
3. Jets 4 2
4. Patriots 3 20
5. Bengals 7 11
6. Browns 12 6
7. Chargers 8 18
8. Cowboys 9 8
9. Panthers 14 7
10. Giants 10 19
11. Eagles 11 10
12. Packers 17 9
13. Dolphins 13 13
14. Falcons 19 17
15. Jaguars 15 22
16. 49ers 6 27
17. Chiefs 5 29
18. Colts 18 12
19. Seahawks 16 21
20. Saints 23 4
21. Broncos 27 15
22. Rams 29 5
23. Bills 21 16
24. Lions 31 14
25. Vikings 30 24
26. Redskins 24 30
27. Cardinals 22 28
28. Steelers 25 25
29. Raiders 26 26
30. Bears 20 31
31. Buccaneers 28 32
32. Titans 32 23
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85103
&&&&
Remember this story we got earlier from the Wall Street Journal about ranking OLines ? I'm telling you our guys are due for some recognition.
You know how it is with the OLinemen, except for a story like this there's very few statistics about OLinemen so the guys with the most well-known and popular teams like the Steelers, Cowboys, Jets, etc make it to the Pro Bowl whether or not they deserve it.
We need to pick a guy and vote for him like crazy when they open up the voting for the PB. You know that means a lot to these guys, and if I'm not mistaken they are going back to Hawaii this year.

drunkcookie
10-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Brown for sure... He's been the most consistant of the bunch and broke a player's face...

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using Tapakeg

Mr teX
10-24-2011, 09:33 AM
D. Brown hands down. You haven't heard much about him from a penalty standpoint (Mr. Winston i'm looking at you) or the man he's been responsible for blocking during games & that bodes well for him. who's he's faced this year:

Freeney
Suggs
Wake/Taylor

& of course he handled that turd James Harrison damn well, even sidelined him with that block he made on him that cracked his orbital bone.

Give credit to Kubiak for landing this guy b/c if im not mistaken, sans Jake Long, all the other guys taken before him have done ok but they certainly haven't been That much better than him.

thunderkyss
10-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Can we do a poll? I'll support Brown.

Errant Hothy
10-24-2011, 09:49 AM
I'm going to echo all the calls for Brown. Dude has been studly all year. After that Chris Meyers has been huge in the running game. He was dominating the second level of defenders all day in Tennessee.

dinkatoid
10-24-2011, 09:54 AM
I think Wade Smith deserved it last year, as he had a fantastic year, but he has struggled quite a bit this year. I think this year we have 2 that should be in the running - Brown and Myers.

Brown has been a stud this year, there is no doubt about it. He had a penalty this week, but still had a great game.
Myers has been one of the best, if not the best center so far this year according to profootballfocus.com. The only other argument I could see would be for Mangold, as it was night and day how much better that line got when he returned after being injured. However, you wonder if the injury could cost him a few votes.

Maddict5
10-24-2011, 10:23 AM
myers & brown imo. all of them are important though

speedfreek
10-24-2011, 11:18 AM
anyone but winston -- he's been a disappointment this year IMO

TJ

Texans34Life
10-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Man, we're looking good with signing Wade Smith at a bargain FA.

He and D. Brown deserve Pro Bowl recommendation.

Dutchrudder
10-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Duane Brown for sure. Keep in mind though, Chris Myers' contract is up this year, so sending him to the pro-bowl may increase his price and make it more difficult for the Texans to re-sign him. Kind of like what happened with Vonta Leach last year.

IDEXAN
10-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Keep in mind though, Chris Myers' contract is up this year, so sending him to the pro-bowl may increase his price and make it more difficult for the Texans to re-sign him. Kind of like what happened with Vonta Leach last year.
I have no problem at all paying Myers. I'm thinking he was a late round pick when the Broncos took him, so he's not ever had a big payday.
And who's Vonta Leach ? Didn't miss him yesterday, but I think we would miss Myers.

HJam72
10-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Duane Brown for sure. Keep in mind though, Chris Myers' contract is up this year, so sending him to the pro-bowl may increase his price and make it more difficult for the Texans to re-sign him. Kind of like what happened with Vonta Leach last year.

Well, in that case let's send a bench-player who we can cut without missing when they ask for too much.

I don't exactly study this, or even pay THAT much attention, but I'm just going to state what I think for fun:

Brown: Passing: Good Running: Excellent (Above avg. in both categories gets him the win here.

Smith: Passing: Average Running: Average

Myers: Passing: Below Average (up from HORRIBLE a few years back) Running: STUPENDOUS

Briesel: Passing: Average Running: Average

Winston: Passing: Poor Running: Excellent (No change through whole career. It's always this way in both categories.)

dream_team
10-24-2011, 11:51 AM
I think our OL should be called the No Name Offensive Line. One of the best in the league, but no big names.

I like Wade Smith, but he's really struggled this season. I hope he comes back into the same form as last season.

I'd consider Briesel the weakest player on the line, but he's solid.

Winston shows flashes of being a star, but then there are alot of times where he just pisses you off. He also gets beat too often by top-tier DE's in pass pro.

Our two best chances of getting pro bowlers are Chris Myers and Duane Brown. Unfortunately, alot of big names are in front of them in the AFC.

Myers would have to beat out Pouncey & Mangold, but he probably has the best chance out of anyone on the line.

Brown is the most deserving to me, but he's virtually unheard of compared to guys like Clady, McNeil, Ferguson, Light, Thomas, and Long.

Corrosion
10-24-2011, 11:53 AM
I dont know .... I think this is a case where the collective sum is better than its parts .... They really work well together. The way Myers , Briesel and Smith were passing off defenders on blocks was pretty amazing .... allowing one another to get to that second level.

HJam72
10-24-2011, 11:55 AM
I dont know .... I think this is a case where the collective sum is better than its parts .... They really work well together. The way Myers , Briesel and Smith were passing off defenders on blocks was pretty amazing .... allowing one another to get to that second level.

They're just going to have to send our whole O-line to the Pro-bowl.

Corrosion
10-24-2011, 11:56 AM
They're just going to have to send our whole O-line to the Pro-bowl.

No no ..... thats too many pay raises. Cant have that. :kitten:

painekiller
10-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Duane Brown

Duane Brown has had a huge season. He stonewalled Dwight Freeney, and has continued to excel in the run game and the screen game. I would say he is a no brainer right now for the Pro Bowl.

SteveSlaton20
10-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Duane Brown, Wade Smith and maybe Chris Myers. I used to hate Myers, but I love the guy. But IDK if he's the top two center in the league, but regardless, I'm going to vote for him.

Playoffs
10-25-2011, 10:10 AM
76 & 55.

False Start
10-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Duane Brown, no doubt. The dude has been playing very well this season, plus he cracked James Harrison's skull so that's a plus. :wild:

b0ng
10-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Duane Brown. But he won't get voted in over Long and Thomas in the AFC which is stupid since Long has not been that good this year.

Porky
10-25-2011, 10:37 AM
The real star of the line is a guy who has never taken a snap. John Benton is doing an amazing job with this group. The whole is better than the individual parts and he has taken a smallish guy with below average strength and worked with him over time to make him one of the top 5 centers in the league. And it's all based on technique, understanding leverage, and using his quickness to his advantage. Myers gets to the 2nd level so well. Major kudos to Benton and C has turned from a real weakness to a stregnth.

If I had to pick one it would be Duane Brown. He is having a steller year, easily his best one and apparently sans the sauce. He has faced some stiff competition, and he is stonewalling them all for the most part and is also excellent in the run game and on screens.

Unlike some others, I think Wade Smith is playing really well too. I wasn't super excited when we signed him, but he is playing very well. Maybe not quite at a probowl level, but a very solid starter. Briesel is the worst of a very good bunch, but I would say he is at least average at worst, probably better than average. This was a guy off the scrap heap and he is at least as good as the guy you would take in the 3rd round or something.

What we do need desparately is some better depth and some potential building blocks for the future, but I have to give the scouts, players, and coaches a standing :clap: for their overall play this year.

IDEXAN
10-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Duane Brown. But he won't get voted in over Long and Thomas in the AFC which is stupid since Long has not been that good this year.
Do you really think Long will make it given the really bad year the 'Phins are having ? Surely we Texans fans can muster enough support to out vote the Long supporters down in South FLA this year ?

HOU-TEX
10-25-2011, 10:43 AM
I'd go with Duane too. He's been very good, imo.

Remember he said before the season that he spoke with his coaches about wanting to play 10 lbs heavier? I wonder if that has much to do with it? He still seems to move just as well, if not better.

thunderkyss
10-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Unlike some others, I think Wade Smith is playing really well too. I wasn't super excited when we signed him, but he is playing very well. Maybe not quite at a probowl level, but a very solid starter. Briesel is the worst of a very good bunch, but I would say he is at least average at worst, probably better than average. This was a guy off the scrap heap and he is at least as good as the guy you would take in the 3rd round or something.

I picked Wade Smith in my first post. I think the line goes as Wade goes. None of the five play a perfect game, but they do seem to get it more right than not, most of the times.

It is my opinion, that Wade doing his job has been the difference between a really good run day & a really bad day. When he's playing well, the little mistakes the other guys make don't matter so much. But when he's off, those little mistakes bite us big time.

jmo(bservation).

b0ng
10-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Do you really think Long will make it given the really bad year the 'Phins are having ? Surely we Texans fans can muster enough support to out vote the Long supporters down in South FLA this year ?

When it comes to offensive linemen voting into the PB I think most of the people just go "Jake Long, yeah he's good I'll vote for him" and they are done with it without thinking about how he actually performed this year.

I think Players and Coaches both do the same thing as well because the ones that aren't going to go, kinda don't care. We did get Leach to the beach so who knows.

eriadoc
10-25-2011, 11:01 AM
I also think the sum of the parts is better than any player. But if I have to choose just one, I'd say Duane Brown. He might be the best run blocking left tackle in the AFC. He's not a stonewall pass blocker, but he does a pretty good job.

My second choice would be Myers, and that's after I came down on him pretty hard a couple years ago. He's been handling the big guys in the middle much better and still getting out to run block very well.

infantrycak
10-25-2011, 11:16 AM
I also think the sum of the parts is better than any player. But if I have to choose just one, I'd say Duane Brown. He might be the best run blocking left tackle in the AFC. He's not a stonewall pass blocker, but he does a pretty good job.

My second choice would be Myers, and that's after I came down on him pretty hard a couple years ago. He's been handling the big guys in the middle much better and still getting out to run block very well.

What he said.

There was a right stretch play last weekend that Duane Brown was blocking at the right sideline. Amazing and exceptional to see a big man out that far.

fiasco west
10-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Duane Brown has to be one of the best LTs right now in the NFL.

DX-TEX
10-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Voting is up at NFL.com. I voted all of our guys in.:koolaid:

rush2112mn
10-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Wade Smith and Duane Brown.....and Mike Breisel...and Eric Winston...and Chris Meyers........I think that does it.....

gary
10-25-2011, 03:03 PM
When I read about Winston struggling against top tier pass rushers then I wonder who doesn't. Overall he is not too bad IMHO.

DexmanC
10-26-2011, 09:13 AM
Eric Winston may be doing too many radio and Youtube shows. He's
SUCKED since getting his contract. He's like the Jacoby Jones of the
OL right now.

Duane Brown, though not as popular as Winston, is by far the
best lineman on the team right now.

4Texans
10-26-2011, 11:24 AM

So did I. I don't want to give votes to the other guys.

Corrosion
10-26-2011, 01:15 PM

I dont want any of the Texans in the Pro Bowl ..... for two reasons -

I want them to feel disrespected and play pissed off.

Pro Bowls mean more money .... Too many expensive players and .... we have another situation like last year with Vonta Leach who now wears another uniform.

Im voting for .... anyone not in a Texans uniform. :chickendance:

beerlover
10-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Duane Brown reflects the first round grade used when Texans drafted him & if anything has gotten bigger, stronger more technically sound. He should be one of the AFC Pro Bowl LT's :clap:

thunderkyss
10-26-2011, 01:37 PM
I dont want any of the Texans in the Pro Bowl ..... for two reasons -

I want them to feel disrespected and play pissed off.

Pro Bowls mean more money .... Too many expensive players and .... we have another situation like last year with Vonta Leach who now wears another uniform.

Im voting for .... anyone not in a Texans uniform. :chickendance:

More pro-bowlers also gives McNair another reason to keep GK around.

dalemurphy
10-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Duane Brown, Chris Myers, and Eric Winston have had great seasons to date.

Wade Smith was arguably the best guard in the AFC last season and has been amazing in four or five games this year. However, he also has had a couple of stinkers (not sure why).

Corrosion
10-26-2011, 05:44 PM
More pro-bowlers also gives McNair another reason to keep GK around.

I'd rather not discuss GK .... For obvious reasons .... and some not so obvious. :kitten: