PDA

View Full Version : Manning Injury

imatexan
10-23-2011, 04:00 PM
I only got to watch the second half but I read that he was carted off to the locker room from the sidelines.

Anyone know how serious this is?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7140820/danieal-manning-houston-texans-carted-leg-injury

False Start
10-23-2011, 04:01 PM
All they are saying is, "lower leg injury" right now.

Fox
10-23-2011, 04:02 PM
McGobbler said he was out of uniform in crutches on the sidelines.

TheMatrix31
10-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Kubiak: Safety Danieal Manning could still play this year, despite an upper leg injury.

.....where's the effin luck

Naiirb
10-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Could still come back this year? Uh oh sounds serious F!!!

FuriousGravy
10-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Could be worse. There are very few positions at which we have a quality backup ready to play.

imatexan
10-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Dang this really sucks!

Manning has been a huge pickup, who will replace him?
We can never just get a huge win, it always comes at a price :(

GP
10-23-2011, 04:11 PM
If it's upper leg, I wonder if he strained a quad.

He was contorted a bit as he came down, and I didn't see anything as scary as what you guys might be assuming.

Being on crutches just alleviates the pain and keeps the blood flowing better than being seated. Just playing doctor on the Internet here....

RTP2110
10-23-2011, 04:13 PM
I'm sick and tired of the mutha%$#@in injuries on this mutha%$#@in team!!!

XI CMURDER IX
10-23-2011, 04:14 PM
It looked exactly the same as Andre's injury.

Scooter
10-23-2011, 04:16 PM
they said lower leg on TV, but it looked like he grabbed his hamstring while walking off the field.

nero THE zero
10-23-2011, 04:17 PM
He went down untouched. I'd bet my house it is the fibula injury.

GP
10-23-2011, 04:19 PM
It looked exactly the same as Andre's injury.

I think it's muscular, not bone or joint.

Quad or hammie is my guess.

foo82
10-23-2011, 04:25 PM

It looks like it. He looked like he was going to run some more after the int, but just kinda dropped when his legs gave out.

GP
10-23-2011, 04:30 PM
It looks like it. He looked like he was going to run some more after the int, but just kinda dropped when his legs gave out.

I didn't see where an ankle got rolled, or a knee was bending the wrong way, etc.

It looked like he stretched out (or "up" might be a better a description) and as he came down, there was some weird stuff going on with the muscles in that one leg.

Again, just assuming/speculating. CND would know better than any of us.

XI CMURDER IX
10-23-2011, 04:32 PM

Yeah, I mean where he grabbed his leg. It was his lower hamstring. It happened after the play was over and when he was trying to get up.

GP
10-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I mean where he grabbed his leg. It was his lower hamstring. It happened after the play was over and when he was trying to get up.

Ah, I didn't see what he grabbed for.

Good catch.

The Third Man
10-23-2011, 05:11 PM
@JeromeSolomon: Texans' safety Danieal Manning has a broken leg.

Trap_Star
10-23-2011, 05:12 PM
fractured tibula...out 4-6 weeks.

probably after the bye.

utahmark
10-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Not to bad.... I guess.

TheMatrix31
10-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Son of a *****. Well, let's see what Nolan can do.

jaayteetx
10-23-2011, 05:17 PM
source? sure beats being out for the year

2BCF
10-23-2011, 05:20 PM

We need to be renamed, The Houston Hammies.

Trap_Star
10-23-2011, 05:21 PM
source? sure beats being out for the year

my x-ray vision.

Scooter
10-23-2011, 05:22 PM
i wonder who saw this coming ... holliday and keo both activated for a game where manning goes down early. i'm trying to like keo and hope there's something that noone outside of the texans staff is seeing, but this is another major loss.

with quin still learning the position, manning's injury hurts an already lopsided secondary - i wonder if we dial up the blitz even further to protect everyone but joseph. good news that he'll be able to finish the season, and we'll hit the bye during the come back timeline.

nero THE zero
10-23-2011, 05:28 PM
i wonder who saw this coming ... holliday and keo both activated for a game where manning goes down early. i'm trying to like keo and hope there's something that noone outside of the texans staff is seeing, but this is another major loss.

with quin still learning the position, manning's injury hurts an already lopsided secondary - i wonder if we dial up the blitz even further to protect everyone but joseph. good news that he'll be able to finish the season, and we'll hit the bye during the come back timeline.

CND had said in an earlier thread that a "fibula injury" was likely a bone bruise with the possibility of a stress fracture. So, you're are probably right that they knew this was a distinct possibility.

CloakNNNdagger
10-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Manning suffered a "cracked" tibia. Would expect that this may actually be a stress fracture and will require anywhere from 6-8 weeks, although it is reported to be 4-6 weeks.

Scooter
10-23-2011, 05:39 PM
CND had said in an earlier thread that a "fibula injury" was likely a bone bruise with the possibility of a stress fracture. So, you're are probably right that they knew this was a distinct possibility.

good catch, i missed that post. i've gotta say again, it is too cool to have CND here offering his opinions and diagnosis on what the texans' staff attempt to keep us in the dark about. along with taking care of us in posts such as thorn's.

Ryan
10-23-2011, 05:45 PM
I can only rep CnD so much, i guess i gotta keep spreading it around to you other guys first. :user:

I sure do hope it's only anywhere between 4-8 weeks, we could use him for the home stretch and playoffs if we have made it that far. And i've always liked Troy Nolan so now is his chance.

drunkcookie
10-23-2011, 05:50 PM
good catch, i missed that post. i've gotta say again, it is too cool to have CND here offering his opinions and diagnosis on what the texans' staff attempt to keep us in the dark about. .

Lol... like the citizens of Houston will revolt if the Texans staff let Texans fans know a player may be out a couple of more weeks than expected...

let's not flatter ourselves here...

drunkcookie
10-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Looking at the Twittersphere and McClain, Nick Scurfield and Battleredblog are reporting 4-10 weeks...

Fox
10-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Damn, we keep losing key players. Manning wasn't a world beater in the passing game but he was a sure tackler and excellent in run support.

Nolan's a boom or bust type guy. He's a ball hawk and finds himself near the ball for picks, but he also gets burned.

Jackie Chiles
10-23-2011, 07:06 PM
Story from the team's homepage:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Manning-fractures-leg-hopes-to-return-this-season/a604f6b8-92d3-4033-807f-2cea8c25bd1e

At least one of those weeks will be a bye. Defense will just have to weather the storm.

CloakNNNdagger
10-23-2011, 07:07 PM
The Texans' projected 4-6 week return seems very short in that bone healing itself can usually take 5 weeks without surgical stabilization.......at which time gradual return to activity is allowed.

This is potentially a worrisome diagnosis, as stress placed on a tibial stress fracture before it is entirely healed could lead to a complete fracture and require surgical treatment. If nonsurgical treatment is elected, many physicians recommend complete nonweight-bearing and use of a cast or walking boot. At a minimum, absolute refrain from the offending activities and sports is mandatory. If the fracture is not healing, and unfortunately this is not all that uncommon, surgery is often considered.

Recovery and rehab from a tibial stress fracture is relatively lengthy whether or not surgery is performed. Usually physicians will not let the patient return to sports or exercise such as running until the fracture has completely healed, and in some cases, a delayed healing process can take as long as three to four months if treated with nonsurgical means.

Site of stress fracture and grade of fracture is predictive of healing time.

Typical Healing According to Site of Stress Fracture:
...................................*...........**. ..........***
Tibia, proximal third.........0...........43.............57
Tibia, middle third............0...........46.............52
Tibia, distal third.............0...........54.............47

*Percentage Healed at 2-4 wk
**Percentage Healed at 1-2 mo
***Percentage Healed at > 2 mo

Remember, these are BONE HEALING TIMES, NOT RETURN TO PLAY TIMES!

steelbtexan
10-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Manning suffered a "cracked" tibia. Would expect that this may actually be a stress fracture and will require anywhere from 6-8 weeks, although it is reported to be 4-6 weeks.

Guess letting Manning play with that bone bruise wasn't a smart move.

Texans_Chick
10-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Chronicle article on this. (http://blog.chron.com/nfl/2011/10/manning-injured-while-making-interception/)

Nawzer
10-23-2011, 08:15 PM
The Texans' projected 4-6 week return seems very short in that bone healing itself can usually take 5 weeks without surgical stabilization.......at which time gradual return to activity is allowed.

This is potentially a worrisome diagnosis, as stress placed on a tibial stress fracture before it is entirely healed could lead to a complete fracture and require surgical treatment. If nonsurgical treatment is elected, many physicians recommend complete nonweight-bearing and use of a cast or walking boot. At a minimum, absolute refrain from the offending activities and sports is mandatory. If the fracture is not healing, and unfortunately this is not all that uncommon, surgery is often considered.

Recovery and rehab from a tibial stress fracture is relatively lengthy whether or not surgery is performed. Usually physicians will not let the patient return to sports or exercise such as running until the fracture has completely healed, and in some cases, a delayed healing process can take as long as three to four months if treated with nonsurgical means.

Site of stress fracture and grade of fracture is predictive of healing time.

Typical Healing According to Site of Stress Fracture:
...................................*...........**. ..........***
Tibia, proximal third.........0...........43.............57
Tibia, middle third............0...........46.............52
Tibia, distal third.............0...........54.............47

*Percentage Healed at 2-4 wk
**Percentage Healed at 1-2 mo
***Percentage Healed at > 2 mo

Remember, these are BONE HEALING TIMES, NOT RETURN TO PLAY TIMES!

From what I remember from my anatomy class from years ago, the fibrocartilaginous callus takes 4-5 weeks to form which entails the mononucleatic cells like osteoblasts actually starting the process of bone formation. Well if I'm right, then I don't see Manning back in 4-6 weeks at all. He might be back towards the end of the season and perhaps in the playoff game(s) if we make it that far.

Norg
10-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Injuries suck esp when ur starters go down but o well next man up

Hopefully aj and casey come back soon