PDA

View Full Version : AJ:The best and worst of the Texans - Titans series

Wolf
10-22-2011, 03:48 PM
The Texans and Titans are about to square off for the 19th time in their history. That's enough time to develop a pretty good rivalry, although until recent years the rivaly was very one-sided.

The Titans hold a 13-5 edge over the Texans all-time, but the Texans have won three of the past five meetings.

What's unique about the game on Sunday is that it has real meaning - as in the winner will have control of the AFC South as we approach the halfway point of the season.

Any other year, it seems, the only thing Texans fans could realistically cheer for in these matchups was the chance to poke Bud Adams in the eye.

There have been some memorable games between Houston's old team and its new one over the past nine seasons. Some are memorable for all the wrong reasons if you're a Texans fan. Some of the losses serve as a microcosm of the Kubiak-era Texans.

Here's a look back at the best and worst all-time in the Texans - Titans series from the Texans fan perspective:

Continue reading on Examiner.com The best and worst of the Texans - Titans series - Houston Houston Texans | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/the-best-and-worst-of-the-texans-titans-series#ixzz1bXeq5YHv

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/the-best-and-worst-of-the-texans-titans-series

Speedy
10-22-2011, 04:37 PM
but this game was memorable because it was the Texans first ever shutout

First ever shutout at home. They shutout the Jags 21-0 in 2004 in J-ville.

Brisco_County
10-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Once again, AJ writes a better article than the Chronicle's full time staff.

I remember each of these games. Unfortunately, as AJ alludes to as a "microcosm," I now regard most of those games as a testament to the Kubiak era.

Wolf
10-24-2011, 06:45 PM
First things first.

Just a few days ago, I wrote an article on the 'best and worst' of the Texans - Titans eighteen game series. I listed four examples of the worst games of the series and three under the best, from the Texans fan perspective of course.

I ended the article by saying "I'd love to add an October 23, 2011 entry to the 'best' list to even things out a bit."

Consider it done.

The Texans showed up in a big way at Nashville today, hanging a 40-burger on the team we love to hate. Sleep well tonight, Bud.

After two forgettable drives to start the game, it was total domination by the Texans who ran to a 20-0 halftime lead and didn't take their foot off the gas until the scoreboard read 0:00.

When the dust settled, the Texans:

Had scored their most lopsided win in team history
Had two rushers over 100 yards for the first time in team history
Had one player gain 100 yards rushing and 100 receiving in a game for the first time in team history

What else?

The Texans put up 518 yards of offense compared to 148 for Tennessee
The Texans held the Titans to 53 yards rushing
The Texans dominated time of possession 37:58 to 22:02
The Texans held Tennessee to one play over 20 yards
The Texans had no turnovers and scored on an interception return by Brice McCain
It was the worst loss ever by the Titans at LP Field/Adelphia Coliseum

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/texans-make-statement-at-tennessee