PDA

View Full Version : Mathis Competing for #2??

tacoman_j
04-25-2005, 04:20 PM
I've heard good things about the speedster out of Hampton, but isn't it a stretch to say that this cat can compete for position opposite AJ. I see him only as a special teams player in the mold of Moses. By the way, isn't he around the same size as Moses?? I just do not see him helping out our passing game next year. I hope I'm wrong about that sentiment.

tacoman_j
04-25-2005, 04:22 PM
If he does become our #2 reciever, I guess that would be a steal. Too raw and too small to ever contribute to our offense.

Vinny
04-25-2005, 04:23 PM
He will probably be the WR2 starter by 2006. He is a much better prospect than Starling.

He is 5'11" btw

F-minus67
04-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Mathis is 5 inches taller and 13 pounds heavier.

cptnbreakdance
04-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Mathis is 5 inches taller and 13 pounds heavier.

not to mention about .4 seconds faster running the 40.

Moses runs around a 4.6

Mathis runs a 4.26-4.28

both are really shifty too, so I would have to say that Mathis is our KR and PB is our PR

THEFUTURE
04-25-2005, 04:45 PM
Moses and Reggie Swinton will be the two guys mainly competing for KR and PR duties, and if Mathis is placed as like a 4th or 5th WR on the Depth Charts, then he might be looked at as a KR

texan279
04-25-2005, 04:48 PM
from nfl.com...

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
4 114 Jerome Mathis WR Hampton
Pat Kirwan's Analysis
A speed guy who gained notoriety late in the year. This will give Houston the same effect of Lee Evans in Buffalo -- an absolute burner. He will open the underneath stuff up for Andre Johnson. This is a vertical push threat, which is important.
Brandt's notes: An excellent kick returner -- returned two in a bowl game. Word is he recently broke his jaw, but you don't catch the ball with your jaw.

D-ReK
04-25-2005, 04:52 PM
My interpretation of Casserly's comments he's made about Mathis is that he'll be used mainly as a KR this year and hopefully make an impact as a receiver in 2006, but I could be dead wrong...

THEFUTURE
04-25-2005, 04:52 PM
i understand he is a good returner, but im the kind of person that doesnt like seeing staters on KR and PR, especially if they are an important part of the offense like i HOPE mathis will be this year... so the only way that i personally would like him as a KR is if he wasnt a top three receiver

THEFUTURE
04-25-2005, 04:57 PM
My interpretation of Casserly's comments he's made about Mathis is that he'll be used mainly as a KR this year and hopefully make an impact as a receiver in 2006, but I could be dead wrong...
i think thats what he may anticipate, but who knows, thast what DD was gonna be used as when he came in, a possible returner and situational back, and now is our starter, so mathis could emerge in camp quicker then expected

TEXANS84
04-25-2005, 05:03 PM
I got this from rjf's post over on houstonprofootball.com about Casserly on 610 this morning talking about Mathis:

Was talking about Mathis, and his speed. Granato asked Charley about him being the fastest player at the combine other than the 2 corners(raiders took both). Charley said that Mathis was the fastest overall period. I guess he had his little black book with him(lol), because he took it out, and was naming off the 40 times. (This is their own hand times). Of the 2 raider cb's, Washington had something like a 4.27, 4.30, 4.28, and a 4.31, and Routt had like a 4.27, 4.29, 4.31, and a 4.28. These might not be exact, but I remember Routt having 1 of his 4 40 times above 4.3, and Washington had 2 above, with 4.27 the lowest mark for either. So it's close to exact.

Now for Mathis. They had his times at 4.26, 4.26, 4.27, and 4.28(or 9). Now that's freaking fast. 4 40's, and not a one over 4.3.

THEFUTURE
04-25-2005, 05:06 PM
any highlights of this kid, i wanna see him move, that speed is amazing

dtran04
04-25-2005, 05:24 PM
On Yahoo's draft website, they have videos of most of the picks on the first day.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/draft;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcTFhbmEwBF9TAzk1ODYxMDU5BHNlYwN 0bQ--?analysis=1

El Tejano
04-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Man if this kid is good at reverses, Palmer is going to call that like 65% of the time.

blockhead83
04-25-2005, 05:45 PM
Wow, world class speed and playmaking ability in a fourth round selection. Hopefully we can groom him and he can open some things up for AJ.

TEXANS84
04-25-2005, 05:45 PM
wow, those videos of Mathis returns are extremely impressive. Amazing break-away speed.

TexansTrueFan
04-25-2005, 06:22 PM
ok any guy who can run a 4.28 has my vote for the number 2 spot. i dont care how tall he is, size dont matter when you can burn past the secondary.

Marcus
04-25-2005, 06:29 PM
WOW! You all should check this article out from the U.S. Olympic Team's website.

The NFL treats 40-yard dash times as sacred (http://www.usolympicteam.com/11611_32384.htm)

The entire article is a very interesting read about how teams view the importance of 40 times and the extreme effect that those times can have on draft day value. But my eyes popped out when they mentioned Jerome Mathis.

Other prospects run their 40s at the annual NFL Scouting Combine in February inside Indianapolis' RCA Dome, where this year Arkansas quarterback Matt Jones went 4.37. Jones is 6 feet 6, 242 pounds.

It's also where Jerome Mathis, a wide receiver from tiny Hampton College in Virginia, sent his stock soaring with a reported 4.32. Some scouts apparently caught him sub-4.30. Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcels told people his stopwatch showed 4.25.

Never mind that Mathis was running on the RCA Dome's notoriously slow artificial turf, or that he was running alone without the aid of fellow competitors pushing him. Or that his left hamstring was wrapped because of a slight muscle strain.

:thud: Are you fricken kiddin me? This kid runs a 4.25 on Parcell's stopwatch with a pulled muscle? :shocked

Well, Charley Casserly said on 610 today that he's going to create some thrills for the crowd this coming preseason. I believe it.

Andre_Johnson88
04-25-2005, 06:50 PM
Wow yall need to check out Jerome's highlight videos.......they are AMAZING! He makes all his running look so easy!Ok im serious here.....Mathis DEFINATELY needs to be utilized a lot on this team even in the first year because he would be a force with many possibilities!

dtran04
04-25-2005, 06:51 PM
What I like in that video is that he seems to be at full speed within a couple strides. His acceleration is amazing.

TexansTrueFan
04-25-2005, 06:56 PM
he will make the team, and possibly compete for the #2 spot, i hope he gets it. Or atleast plays some this season.

texansfan88
04-25-2005, 06:59 PM
from nfl.com...

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
4 114 Jerome Mathis WR Hampton
Pat Kirwan's Analysis
A speed guy who gained notoriety late in the year. This will give Houston the same effect of Lee Evans in Buffalo -- an absolute burner. He will open the underneath stuff up for Andre Johnson. This is a vertical push threat, which is important.
Brandt's notes: An excellent kick returner -- returned two in a bowl game. Word is he recently broke his jaw, but you don't catch the ball with your jaw.
if you go further down in the threads, you will see the story about the broken jaw straight from him that he told me. he'll have the wire off next week.

D-ReK
04-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Word is he recently broke his jaw, but you don't catch the ball with your jaw.

:heh: He sure tried to, though...

Number19
04-25-2005, 07:15 PM
The more I look into Jerome Mathis, the better I'm liking this selection. I'm tending to agree with his assessment that there are going to be a lot of teams wishing they had not let him slip.

Just read a list of his positives : fierce competitor ; leader ; hard worker ; very good at tracking the ball in over his shoulder ; ability to come back quickly for under-thrown balls ; displays crisp stop-and-go action ; adept at executing double moves ; very effective running deep routes, posts and verticals ; shows aggression, leaping ability and timing in going for the ball ; and finally - does not drop many balls.

His negatives? Needs to run crisper short routes ; needs to work on concentration ; has dropped a few easy passes, looking to run before securing the ball ; will body catch. That's about it. And although he has a tendency toward body catching, he doesn't drop many. His most serious negative seems to be nothing more than his previous level of competition.

And what exactly is so bad about "body catching"? His style of body catching has been described as "double-catching" where the ball is "absorbed into his body". Now I could be wrong, but I interpret this as meaning he first gets his hands on the ball away from his body and rides it in to cradle against his body. This is entirely different from someone who actually tries to catch the ball directly against his body; and I'm not so certain this is a bad thing. The scouting report says he doesn't drop many balls! It also seems to me that this could possibly be a better way to secure the ball in anticipation of taking a hit.

I hate to get my hopes up too much, but we just might have another Jerry Rice.

TexansTrueFan
04-25-2005, 07:17 PM

lol yeah thatd be a nice gift to get from a 4th rounder.

Number19
04-25-2005, 07:23 PM
Wow yall need to check out Jerome's highlight videos.......they are AMAZING! He makes all his running look so easy!Ok im serious here.....Mathis DEFINATELY needs to be utilized a lot on this team even in the first year because he would be a force with many possibilities!
Where? Could you provide a link?

Andre_Johnson88
04-25-2005, 07:26 PM
WOW.....is it just me or did that assessment of Jerome Mathis by Number 19 sound like another receiver coming out of a school named Miami a few years ago......definately sounds like AJ (except brute strength) with his weakness being his easy dropped passes and stuff... IM LOVING IT THOUGH

Trapped
04-25-2005, 07:26 PM

LOL, i can gurantee u he won't be Jerry Rice. I hope he becomes Steve Smith, if not hopefully as good as Santana Moss.

Andre_Johnson88
04-25-2005, 07:30 PM
Number 19 and everyone else....here's your link to the amazing Jerome Mathis.....http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/draft?round=4&dl=nfl

TopTexanFan16
04-25-2005, 07:39 PM
they have his 40 time at 4.45? didnt he run a 2.8?

THEFUTURE
04-25-2005, 07:40 PM
not such a jerry rice, rice isnt 5'11" and never ran a 4.28 40... so lets not start that comaprison... rice is the greatest receiver ever, lets not get ahead of ourselves and say he is the next jerry rice... rather he is the first Jerome Mathis, and hopefully he can help contribute to the great legacy of Andre Johnson, and create one for himself as well

TopTexanFan16
04-25-2005, 07:41 PM
ah i mean 4.28 haha sry but yea anyways they have his time listed as 4.45 then in the article it says 4.31? he did run a 4.28 right?

Number19
04-25-2005, 07:43 PM
WOW.....is it just me or did that assessment of Jerome Mathis by Number 19 sound like another receiver coming out of a school named Miami a few years ago......definately sounds like AJ (except brute strength) with his weakness being his easy dropped passes and stuff... IM LOVING IT THOUGH
This assessment comes from one of the best sites I've found (the same one used by NFL.com and Gil Brandt) - NFL Draft Scout ( a pay site) :

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/index.php

Number19
04-25-2005, 07:47 PM
LOL, i can gurantee u he won't be Jerry Rice. I hope he becomes Steve Smith, if not hopefully as good as Santana Moss.
My comparison to Rice was not to predict his career would match Rice's; but rather the fact of a quality WR dropping in the draft

Texanshot
04-25-2005, 07:52 PM
If all goes well, we need to go and make...
andre #1 receiver...DUH...bench corey bradford because
he needs superglue on his hands to catch the dang ball...
#2 receiver jabar Gaffney
#3 Armstrong and mathis can compete for the last position...
i don't understand why we signed corey bradford :hmmm:

Go Houston Texans...
ready for the start of the season and also FANTASY FOOTBALL!!

texan279
04-25-2005, 07:59 PM
bench corey bradford because

Why do so many people say Bradford has a problem catching the ball? :hairpull:

Grid
04-25-2005, 08:04 PM
cause that was the biggest knock against him when he came here. He has actually been fairly consistent for us.. his biggest problem isnt that he cant catch the ball.. its that he cant freakin get open.

And we signed him as insurance.. there was no garaunteeing that a WR we liked would fall to us.

THEFUTURE
04-25-2005, 08:07 PM
If all goes well, we need to go and make...
andre #1 receiver...DUH...bench corey bradford because
#2 receiver jabar Gaffney
#3 Armstrong and mathis can compete for the last position...
i don't understand why we signed corey bradford :hmmm:

Go Houston Texans...
ready for the start of the season and also FANTASY FOOTBALL!!
AJ is the 1, i really do think Mathis is the 2, and Armstrong will be the slot and Gaff is the 4th option... gaff and armstrong are the same player, and both better suited to play the slot, and not the 2 spot, which leaves it to bradford or matthis, and i got faith the rookie beats out the vet in this one

texansfan88
04-25-2005, 08:16 PM
hate to burst all these bubbles, but Mathis will be a Dante Hall type player that is somewhat better receiver. Nowhere close to Rice. I like Jerome as much as the next guy, and hes going to be fun to watch, but dont even start with comparisons to GREAT players

You know those 5 reverses we seem to run that never work every game? expect Mathis to take over that duty.

Grid
04-25-2005, 08:20 PM
Anyone know of a place where I can actually DOWNLOAD a Mathis highlight video? the quality of that streaming video on yahoo sucks.

DRIFTAWAY
04-25-2005, 08:23 PM
Id accept a Dante Hall in the 4th round. I am all for letting him see alot of time in preseason and some solid minutes in the season just to help him develop even more. Letting him go for KR can only be a positive for us

Grid
04-25-2005, 08:42 PM
If he turns into a Dante Hall, but a little better.. I will consider it one of our best draft picks ever. Dante Hall rocks :)

Panther5407
04-25-2005, 08:43 PM
If he turns into a Dante Hall, but a little better.. I will consider it one of our best draft picks ever. Dante Hall rocks :)

Did you know he played alot of RB in college? Had around a 6 yard per carry average too.

Wolf
04-25-2005, 08:46 PM
so, what NFL player would Mathis remind you of? a faster Ernest givens?
for example?

I haven't seen Mathis play or know much about him

edo783
04-25-2005, 08:56 PM
MMMMmm, he catches the ball into his body. I figure 2 maybe three lasers from David and he will quit that. Hope he hasen't broken a rib by then.

Grid
04-25-2005, 08:57 PM
He is mini-moss :).

Same kinda speed.. but not quite as tall or with as much of a vertical leap. As a #2.. I think he could really shine.

Assuming of course that he gets his hands and route running straight.

vtech9
04-25-2005, 09:55 PM
so, what NFL player would Mathis remind you of? a faster Ernest givens?
for example?

I haven't seen Mathis play or know much about him
I watched him in the Gridiron Classic game before the combine, and my first impressions of him was a better, faster version of Dante Hall. He can do all of the little reverses and WR screens like Hall, but Mathis can also be a legitimate receiver.

I'm not sure if I would put him in as the #2 or put him in the slot. With his speed and moves, he can take any short pass the distance, but he can also fly and burn the DB's deep. It would be interesting to see him just take off and have Carr throw the ball as far as he can and just watch Mathis run under it.

I am excited :woot ...I can't wait for pre-sesaon.

TEXANS84
04-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Just found some interesting stats on Mathis:

—Fourth-round selection Jerome Mathis, a wide receiver from Division I-AA Hampton, had the fastest time at the NFL scouting combine at 4.26 seconds in the 40 yard dash.

Other impressive college statistics by Mathis:

* He averaged a touchdown every 4.4 receptions during his three-year career.

* His 26.4 yards per catch average broke the Mid Eastern Athletic Conference and NCAA all-time record of 24.3 yards by John Taylor of Delaware State (1982-85).

* Finished with 32 plays of at least 40 yards.

* He caught a pass in a school-record 34 consecutive games.

* Set an I-AA record as a senior with five kickoff returns for touchdowns, including three of at least 90 yards.

LINK (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/texans/home.htm)

El Tejano
04-29-2005, 11:42 AM
Just found some interesting stats on Mathis:

LINK (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/texans/home.htm)
I believe I already made a comparison with him to John Taylor on a thread somewhere on here. Seriously, the more I hear about him the more I think this kid is going to do some things on this team.

TEXANS84
04-29-2005, 11:43 AM
Seriously, the more I hear about him the more I think this kid is going to do some things on this team.

This is what got my attention the most:

* He averaged a touchdown every 4.4 receptions during his three-year career.

:thumbup

wiley2002
04-29-2005, 11:47 AM
He'll get pressure off of AJ no doubt. Having those 2 guys in the slot in a couple of years will be awesome. I wonder if we'll keep JG as the #3 guy if that happens or what.

El Tejano
04-29-2005, 12:05 PM
I really do hope he becomes the suprise of our draft. That would make two starters we've picked in the fourth round that made an impact on our offense.

Doom Capers
04-29-2005, 12:25 PM
Man if this kid is good at reverses, Palmer is going to call that like 65% of the time.

Hahahaha, only on national t.v. so he can embarrass us in front of all of America.

El Tejano
04-29-2005, 12:40 PM
I see you caught my sense of humor.

I could just imagine, reversing it one way with Johnson, then the other with Mathis and then finally running the reverse with Gaffney who throws it down field the other way incomplete to David Carr.

Chad Stanley set to punt!!!

nunusguy
04-29-2005, 02:07 PM
He will probably be the WR2 starter by 2006.
He is 5'11" btw
I dunno.... easy to get ahead of ourselves on this guy. We know he is fast
but can he run routes, what kinda hands does he have, can he hold on to the ball when he's taken a hit, is he much of a runner after he's caught the ball, does he even know anything about downfield blocking, etc. If you say yes to one or more of those things, then I'd be apt to say "so what, he did those thngs at Hampton, I bet they really have inferior competition".
I mean this Hampton is really small time, the only thing I can think of when I hear the name is a rodent. If he becomes our #2 WR, it will be mainly luck because if Cass had any idea he was that good, he would have picked before the 4th round. Sorta like the D.Davis for a comparison.

THEFUTURE
04-29-2005, 02:34 PM
just because an athelete goes to a lower division school doesnt mean he is less of an athlete.. a lot of times the athletes might not have the grades to get into the upper ranked schools, or came from a small town and didnt get the name... A lot of more athletically gifted, but academicly challenged atheletes are in junior colleges and stuff like that, so to say he is from a smaller school, so he mightn ot have quality talent is not correct

nunusguy
04-29-2005, 02:53 PM
just because an athelete goes to a lower division school doesnt mean he is less of an athlete..
Not talking about his athletic abilities as a sprinter because that is not an issue. He is reportedly a 20.3 something 200 meter man - that is fact. Whatever his sprint times were and however he places in NCAA competition, etc. he does that whether he competes in Track for Hampton or a big time program.
Football is an entirely different thing - to measure his abilities accuratley he
needs to compete against against top flight comp. He would if he went to
a school in the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, etc. At Hampton, most likely no. This
is not to say he won't be successful in the NFL, there's just a lot more uncertainty.

chuckm
04-29-2005, 02:57 PM

Moses runs around a 4.6

Mathis runs a 4.26-4.28

both are really shifty too, so I would have to say that Mathis is our KR and PB is our PR

I'm looking forward to watching this guy in punt returns .... JJ may be 4.6 in the first 40 but he's about 8.6 in the second 40 ...

tacoman_j
04-29-2005, 02:58 PM
http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/nflfilms/demand/s2005/tabill/off/charley_casserly_segment_300k.rm&proto=rtsp&rpcontexturl=http://www.nfl.com/fieldpass/includes/promo&rpcontextwidth=417

THEFUTURE
04-29-2005, 02:59 PM
you can measure his ablilities either way, the only thing you can look at is how he uses them.. his abilities dont change playing for Hampton or USC, but how effective he is, is what may or may not change

THEFUTURE
04-29-2005, 03:03 PM
I'm looking forward to watching this guy in punt returns .... JJ may be 4.6 in the first 40 but he's about 8.6 in the second 40 ...
well jesus, if jj is returning punts 40 yards, then id say his position is safe

TEXANS84
04-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Mathis at mini-camp today:

http://www.houstontexans.com/slideshowimages/mathis_slideshow042905.jpg

HamptonGuy
04-29-2005, 05:04 PM
I
I mean this Hampton is really small time, the only thing I can think of when I hear the name is a rodent.

I'll take that as a joke and move on. There have been numerous numerous players from "really small time" schools that have made an impact on the pro -level. Don't get caught up in "big name" schools all the time. Mathis ate up the "big name" competition in the Gridiron Classic. Jerry Rice - small school
Steve McNair - small school
Walter Payton - small school
Donald Driver - small school
Antonio Gates -small school
Ashley Ambrose - small school
Art Shell-small school
Darrel Green - small school
Doug Williams- small school
Aneas Williams - small school

El Tejano
04-29-2005, 05:32 PM
Look at those arms. This dude is by far not some skin and bones track guy. Like I said before, Everytime I hear about him something good is being said.

keyfro
04-29-2005, 05:47 PM
the great thing about mathis and our situation is our recieving corp we have the ability to give mathis the time needed to adjust to the NFL...i think we give him this year to work the slot and return game...give him time to work a relationship with carr and johnson(on the field)...and then come in next year as our number 2 guy...he has the speed...soon he'll have the hands and the route running ability

sax_49
04-29-2005, 06:26 PM
Here is an article about Jerome Mathis, I found it pretty good reading. http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-02182sy0apr20,0,7460402.story?coll=dp-sports-local

FILO_girl
04-29-2005, 06:58 PM
This is the one pick that intrigued me the most. Now watching him on video is just making me want to see more. C'mon AUGUST! Good pick up IMO. This kid could really be something in due time...and in our uni!!!!

I think we all are wanting to see more of Mathis. :thumbup Character issue was 2 years ago, and Mathis said he has grown up since. No issue to me, we all mess up once when we are young. This was a minor one. Maybe with due time, he can develop and open it up for AJ. The article stated-

On the field, he sacrificed individual glory by often acting as a decoy to open things up for HU's other receivers. As a result, he caught just 30 passes but still led Division I-AA with 29.8 yards per catch. Taylor says Mathis never complained about the role on the team that finished 10-2 and won the MEAC title. I like the sound of this.

Can the public go to mini camp? :)

Grid
04-29-2005, 07:11 PM
if someone gets the opportunity to watch Mathis.. could ya please clue me in on his change of direction ability?

I wanna know if he is capable of juking and such without losing his speed. That, to me, is gonna be the biggest difference between being a superstar or a bust.

CaptainPatriot
04-29-2005, 08:14 PM
If he does become our #2 reciever, I guess that would be a steal. Too raw and too small to ever contribute to our offense.

Too Small :shocked Deion Branch is 5'9''

CaptainPatriot
04-29-2005, 08:19 PM

Moses runs around a 4.6

Mathis runs a 4.26-4.28

Mathis has that break away speed in the open which JJ doesn`t. JJ couldn`t out run that last guy. You will see Mathis fly past the last guy. Hopefully Special teams will block well to see him explode :thumbup

nunusguy
04-29-2005, 10:16 PM
I'll take that as a joke and move on.
It was a silly remark on my part, if I offended my apologies.
Charlie Casserly talks about the importance of "matchups" when assessing
the talent of a prospective Draft pick. A player in the SEC or Big Ten, for example, has a far higher volume of talented matchups than a player from
say, Hampton or NW Missouri State because they play a superior level of competition. Therefor its less difficult to measure the ability of a player from a team that faces better competition because the competition is closer to what he would see in the NFL. This is not to say that smaller schools/programs don't produce outstanding NFL players, I'm just saying there's a higher level of uncertainty for identifying small college guys that
will succeed in the NFL.

Porky
04-29-2005, 10:31 PM
Charlie Casserly talks about the importance of "matchups" when assessing
the talent of a prospective Draft pick. A player in the SEC or Big Ten, for example, has a far higher volume of talented matchups than a player from
say, Hampton or NW Missouri State because they play a superior level of competition. Therefor its less difficult to measure the ability of a player from a team that faces better competition because the competition is closer to what he would see in the NFL. This is not to say that smaller schools/programs don't produce outstanding NFL players, I'm just saying there's a higher level of uncertainty for identifying small college guys that
will succeed in the NFL.

Sure, and that's why Mathis was available in round 4. It's simply harder to guage these small school players, so they tend to drop some in the draft. He is a little on the smallish side, but he has rare speed. I'm really excited to see what he brings to the table. I smell a steal!

Texas_Thrill
04-29-2005, 11:36 PM
I think he is our #2 WR by midseason or rather i hope he is. I'd like to see him opposite AJ so that frees AJ up from double coverage and allows him to work more underneath against LB's and Safeties.

I think we drafted him with every intention on becoming our #2 and most mocks had him going in the 2nd.

HamptonGuy
04-30-2005, 12:01 AM

None taken :thumbup

HamptonGuy
04-30-2005, 12:01 AM

None taken :thumbup

michaelm
04-30-2005, 01:53 AM

according to espn.com:
Steve Smith - 5'9" 185
Laveranues Coles - 5'11" 193
Deion Branch - 5'9" 193
Troy Brown - 5'10" 196
Lee Evans -5'10" 197
Santana Moss -5'10" 185

I wouldn't mind having a single one of these guys as our #2... well, not T. Brown because of age, but you get my point...

what is too raw? He didn't play enough in college, didn't play against big school competition? He'll have more than enough chances to get experience...

TexanFanInCC
04-30-2005, 04:02 AM

well if he is anywhere as fast as marvin harrison, then he could be effective in the deep passing attack....however, our west coast system wont allow him to get many opportunities over AJ.

edo783
04-30-2005, 10:30 AM
however, our west coast system wont allow him to get many opportunities over AJ.

Interesting that you say that, because SUPPOSIDLY our offense is a vertical one and not the WCO. Has the look of a short passing one though. We are suposidly going to a more timing route type offense this year and I think that may be a BIG thing. Troy Aikmin had LOTS of problems with protection etc. and then they changed to a timing type and then as they say "The rest is history". Hope that is what happens here also.

Vinny
04-30-2005, 11:45 AM
Ed is right....we don't run a wco.

LikeABoss
04-30-2005, 11:53 AM
Mathis at mini-camp today:

http://www.houstontexans.com/slideshowimages/mathis_slideshow042905.jpg

Dude looks like a beast :thumbup

Texan in Japan
04-30-2005, 12:48 PM
Jerry Mathis as the "Receiver"...sorry my marketing background came through.

Wolf
04-30-2005, 12:57 PM
Mathis has one thing going for him.. playing against Drob and Buchanon..

Can you imagine the practices?
Buchanon ran a 4.31 forty before his draft...
Mathis runs a 4.2ish...forty before his draft ...

Someone get the memrecam (http://www.nacinc.com/highspeedcameras.html)

:shocked :heh:

texasguy346
04-30-2005, 03:03 PM
http://img36.echo.cx/img36/4880/tdmathis0pu.jpg

I've got way too much spare time on my hands.

ledzeppelin229
04-30-2005, 03:06 PM
You're welcome to write my Comm class persuasive speech on why the Rockets will win the championship if you get really bored.

texasguy346
04-30-2005, 03:19 PM
You're welcome to write my Comm class persuasive speech on why the Rockets will win the championship if you get really bored.
Oh that's easy. Here goes.

Speech:Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!Yao! T-Mac!

Done, and a for sure A+. :thumbup

wiley2002
04-30-2005, 05:11 PM
http://img36.echo.cx/img36/4880/tdmathis0pu.jpg

I've got way too much spare time on my hands.
That's hilarious. :heh: I'm anxious to see what he can do with his speed.

Wolf
04-30-2005, 05:22 PM
his highllights ...(thanks vinny)
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/draft?round=4&dl=nfl

alittle over 3 minutes into it.. there are 2 good highlights.. one was Hampton at the goal line and they threw the bomb.. he was gone.. next clip i believe he ran a post pattern and was gone.

Panther5407
04-30-2005, 05:39 PM
his highllights ...(thanks vinny)
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/draft?round=4&dl=nfl

alittle over 3 minutes into it.. there are 2 good highlights.. one was Hampton at the goal line and they threw the bomb.. he was gone.. next clip i believe he ran a post pattern and was gone.

Was the goal line one where they went about 95+ yards?

Wolf
04-30-2005, 05:41 PM
yeas it was.. I had visions of Carr throwing that pass :woot

Ibar_Harry
04-30-2005, 06:38 PM
The returns were primarily up the right side after it was sealed off. The team he played for did an excellent job of setting up the return. We don't do that. He received the ball in stride on most occasions, but he did come back and wait on one. His speed is desepitve as he has that easy stride. Reminds me of the great Tommie Smith of Lemore in our area. Watched him run when he was at San Jose State. The guy was unbelievable and he had that stride that looked like he was just moving along and then you realized he was just flat out blazing fast but he looked just like he was loping along. Watched Smith take a hand off in the 440 relay 10 yards behind the other guy and won going away by 10 or 20 yards. Again the easy stride is deseptive. It fools the defense. Looks like the guy has excellent hands. Its obvious he's a football player unlike Bob Hayes. The young man has excellent potential, but it's hard to judge because the level of competion was not the greatest.

THEFUTURE
05-01-2005, 01:17 AM
Looks like the guy has excellent hands..
WRONG WRONG WRONG, one of the biggest knocks on the kid is he drops balls, i think he will be a very productive WR, but it is a habit he will need to "drop" so to speak. AJ had the same knock, that he dropped some passes, and AJ has worked on that every year that he has been here, if Mathis puts in that kind of work, then he will be very good

Texan Dave
05-01-2005, 06:59 AM
This guy was a verry good pick, simply just because he's a 4'th round pick that will definatly return kicks if nothing else. The main thing about kickoff or punt returns is speed and recognising when to change direction. It's the one area af the game that their is verry little change in speed from NCAA division 2, 1-AA, or 1-A, or the NFL, although it may seem like their would be a big change, most football players on special teams run anywear from a 4.5 to 4.7 40, and those kinds of guys are a dime a dozen. One coach who loves to recruit returners from small schools would be Bill Parcells, one example of that would be Eric Metcalf.

ojthecat
05-01-2005, 12:09 PM
I just hope that Palmer let's Mathis run down the field and doesn't just throw him wr screens and lets him run a reverse.

Wolf
05-01-2005, 01:05 PM
This guy was a verry good pick, simply just because he's a 4'th round pick that will definatly return kicks if nothing else. The main thing about kickoff or punt returns is speed and recognising when to change direction. It's the one area af the game that their is verry little change in speed from NCAA division 2, 1-AA, or 1-A, or the NFL, although it may seem like their would be a big change, most football players on special teams run anywear from a 4.5 to 4.7 40, and those kinds of guys are a dime a dozen. One coach who loves to recruit returners from small schools would be Bill Parcells, one example of that would be Eric Metcalf.
Wasn't Eric from UT or am I thinking of someone else?

Texan Dave
05-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Sorry, Metcalf did go to Texas, but I believe he was drafted by the Browns. The Player I was thinking about was Dave Megget, who played for Townson State.

Number19
05-01-2005, 11:26 PM
WRONG WRONG WRONG, one of the biggest knocks on the kid is he drops balls...
I will disagree with this statement. An in depth scouting report does says he will occassionally drop a ball when he loses concentration and tries to run before securing the ball. But this same scouting report also says he does not drop many balls, despite a tendency to body catch.

So far in mini-camp, he has impressed with his hands - "I like the way his hands have looked to this point in time"...Capers. Of course the balls have not been the bullits thrown by Carr.

The Chronicle reported that Mathis did not have a position coach for the past two seasons. He obviously has some bad habits, but IMO the book is still out on him just as to how good a player he can develope into with professional coaching.

texasguy346
05-01-2005, 11:33 PM
Here's an article from the Chronicle on Mathis.

Mathis (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3162205)

TexansTrueFan
05-02-2005, 12:12 AM

with his kinda speed he dont have to be tall to contribute on offense. if he can burn them he can catch and he can score !!!!

Human Highlight Reel
05-03-2005, 10:05 AM
5'11, Absolute Speedster.. (sub 4.3/40)

Could we have the next Coles or S. Moss?

It would be nice wouldn't it...

RiotCommander
05-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Dunno, Coles can hold onto the football. I haven't seen this guy play at all, but with his speed he will open up the middle of the feild some for AJ. The knock on him right now is that he drops too many balls. Maybe if he doesn't pan out we could trade him to Seattle (They seem to love Wide outs that drop the pigskin).

El Tejano
05-03-2005, 12:49 PM
One thing we will have to remember is that he is going to need to make the team in different areas such as special teams and for most of the beginning he will be just there and not on the offensive end. I will say this, his size/speed is perfect for our offense. He can line up wide out or in the slot and that can actually throw fits for a defense. If you put him on the same side with Andre, you can have one or the other running underneath and one going long. We all have seen the results when AJ goes across the middle (GREENBAY game).

Lucky
05-03-2005, 01:00 PM
Dunno, Coles can hold onto the football...
Coles dropped 7 balls last year. 11 the year before. And I think the guys at Stats, Inc. are being kind to Coles.

Coles stats at Stats, Inc. (http://snap.stats.com/snap/pfw/nfl/playerstats.asp?yr=O&id=05107)

I think the worst thing that could happen to a guy coming out of Division I-AA is have pressure to start right away. Forget route running, how about just learning to get off the LOS? A good press cover corner can turn a 4.3 speedster into a 4.6 mudder. Too bad Aaron Glenn is no longer on the team, he could have shown Mathis a lot of tricks in that area.

Vinny
05-04-2005, 02:16 PM
The Texans don’t have their full complement of players this weekend so there have been no kickoff coverage drills. But Mathis has been shagging punts, something he never did for the Pirates.

“No, but I’m getting better at it,” Mathis said. “I learn something new about it each and every day. I just have to get my confidence level up more and listen to what Coach (Joe) Marciano has to say.”

Marciano is probably saying “Get this man some touches.” When Mathis returns with the veterans on May 16, the competition will get even tougher. But judging from what we’ve seen thus far, Mathis will be up for the challenge. http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=1669

THEFUTURE
05-16-2005, 02:24 PM
Dan Pompei on Jerome Mathis... http://www.sportingnews.com/experts/dan-pompei/20050512.html

I would be surprised if Mathis made an impact his first year. Many receivers take a year or two to get a feel for the NFL game. Eventually, he could be a very good pro -- a special player -- but all the signs point to a slow transition for him. Among them: 1) He has not played against top competition on a regular basis; 2) he has been a "track guy;" 3) he needs to bulk up; 4) he must improve his route-running skills; 5) he shows a questionable work ethic; 6) his hands could be more consistent

throwANDREtheBALL
05-16-2005, 03:27 PM
I've read a lot of stuff this moron has had to say in the past and it seems like most of his opinions are re-gurgitated from other NFL prospect stereo-types...he just picks a couple he likes and then plugs them in, for every prospect.

Mathis has been playing Football longer than he's been in Track

How many Running Backs and Receivers in the NFL weren't in TRACK ?

not many, at all

And this guy did well in track because he was SO fast, what's wrong with that DAN ? Lots of other guys were in track, they just didn't go as far so they didn't get hit with the "TRACK GUY" label.

Other than Mark Clayton drafted by the Ravens, weren't most of the Receivers needing to work on their route running and pass-catching skills........so is DAN really informing me of anything......um...NO.

Thanks for wasting my time again DAN.

AND I question DAN POMPEI's work ethic to actually watch some tape of the prospects that he's talking about, instead of just reading what other guys wrote about them and inserting some more "small school" crap

I'm glad this kid went to a small school, or he wouldn't have been available to us in the 4th round.

This is all from a guy that gets more hate-mail than anyone cuz he pisses people off for getting away with the stupid things he says.

AND of course Mathis isn't going to be dominant in his first year, only a couple of receivers ever were, but, he can still return kicks and hopefully Palmer is smart enough to launch him the ball a couple of times in a game.

Lucky
05-16-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm glad this kid went to a small school, or he wouldn't have been available to us in the 4th round.
And I'm glad the Texans took a project WR in the 4th round rather than the 1st. Some of the same questions about Mathis can be applied to Troy Williamson. In fairness to Pompei, he was just answering a question concerning Mathis. My response would have been, "What 4th round picks are expected to make a significant impact in their rookie seasons?".

THEFUTURE
05-16-2005, 04:37 PM
i dont like the track guy phrase eitheer, a lot of receivers in high school and college are actually encouraged to do track in the offseason. it helps with a players explosion of the line, endurance, pure speed, running fluidly... all things a receiver needs, it just so happens that mathis is fast, really fast, and that his pure speed overshadows him and any other talent he might have... i dont like a lot of the stuff pompei says either, i just wanted to post what he was saying. seeing how it is about one of our own.

jacquescas
05-16-2005, 04:54 PM
anyone interested in seeing a couple 5 wide reciever sets? you could have bradford and mathis just running a race on opposite sides to stretch the field and keep AJ, Gaffney and Armstrong all around the middle.

Obviously there would be no pass protection so mathis and bradford wouldn't get very far.

edo783
05-16-2005, 05:09 PM
Obviously there would be no pass protection so mathis and bradford wouldn't get very far.

let see, 40 yards in under 5 seconds. David gets about 2.5 seconds so they would get about 20 yards. If caught in stride could blow to the TD. Just pondering, not saying it will work.

throwANDREtheBALL
05-17-2005, 05:01 PM
"IF caught in stride" (then it would work)

I'm with you guys I think more 4-5 reciever sets would be great, IF Palmer ever wakes up.

BUT

It seems like Palmer has built his offense around the "IF" plays

IF Carr gets enough time, IF Bradford commands any coverage, IF the line blocks for 3 seconds, IF Miller gets open, IF the other team's coaches are retarded, IF we get lucky, IF they don't intercept this everytime........just IF

How come we can't have some plays that actually work everytime ?

not just a bunch of "IF"s

Number19
05-17-2005, 06:43 PM
...Forget route running, how about just learning to get off the LOS? A good press cover corner can turn a 4.3 speedster into a 4.6 mudder. Too bad Aaron Glenn is no longer on the team, he could have shown Mathis a lot of tricks in that area.
First, a defense's best DB will be on AJ. Second, Mathis just has too much speed. Very few DB's will be able to jam Mathis at the line and then cover him man to man deep. The new no-contact rules also work in Mathis' favor. At least to start the season, and until he proves to be a formable deep threat, Mathis will be single covered (assuming a 3 receiver set), with the DB lined up deep. The report on Mathis is that he uses his hands and his speed well to gain initial separation. With a little professional coaching, he should adjust well to this next level of play. We should hope that a team tries to do as you suggest. It will be a field day for Mathis, given Carr has just a little time in the pocket.

TexansTrueFan
05-17-2005, 07:30 PM
at least we still have d-rob to show him some tricks of the trade. we dont have gleen but we have the younger better version to show mathis !

Texas_Thrill
05-17-2005, 07:44 PM
I honestly am not sure what we should expect of the kid this year.

Could he do a boldin or a reggie williams (who?) lol

I think his speed has ALL of us salivating at the possibilities and speed will do that to you. I'm more concerned about his FOOTBALL ability. He sounds like he dominated the competition game in and game out in college which is what you want to hear if he was coming from lesser comp.

WR's always take some time to translate into the NFL game. I think he plays the #3 or 4 this year and is our #2 either by the end of the year or beginning of next. That's my HOPE anyway.

Number19
05-17-2005, 10:40 PM
I agree, I'm hoping (and actually expecting) his hands prove good enough that he'll start the season as the #3. But he should at least be #4. His athleticism and instincts seem to be good. I like that Casserly described him as a football player who ran track. Although he attended a small college because he was academically weak, he won all-state honers in high school. Researching this player, I found that he has slightly larger hands than average, which means little but is better than having small hands.

Does anyone know what kind of speed - 40 yds - that Armstrong has? I've begun to think that as much as I like Gaffney, he may be the odd player out and maybe gone at the end of his current contract. He only has about 4.55 speed and I'm thinking that Armstrong may win out for the #4 spot.

I've also been thinking how attactive a line-up of Bradford and Mathis on the outside and AJ in the slot would be. Who would have single coverage?

Traditionally, Texas_Thrill, you are correct that WR's took a little time to adjust to the pro game. But it does appear that since the no-contact rule change, rookies now for the past couple of years have had an easier time of it. This is one reason that I'm a little more encouraged than I would have been 3 or 4 years ago.

If Mathis could have 20 - 30 catches this next season, for about 500 yds and 3 or 4 TD's, I would consider this to be a successful rookie campaign.

El Tejano
05-18-2005, 03:39 PM
If Mathis could have 20 - 30 catches this next season, for about 500 yds and 3 or 4 TD's, I would consider this to be a successful rookie campaign.
That is what I was thinking. Even if he could produce the #s Armstrong produced last year, it would be a good rookie season.

THEFUTURE
05-18-2005, 03:48 PM
"IF caught in stride" (then it would work)

I'm with you guys I think more 4-5 reciever sets would be great, IF Palmer ever wakes up.

BUT

It seems like Palmer has built his offense around the "IF" plays

IF Carr gets enough time, IF Bradford commands any coverage, IF the line blocks for 3 seconds, IF Miller gets open, IF the other team's coaches are retarded, IF we get lucky, IF they don't intercept this everytime........just IF

How come we can't have some plays that actually work everytime ?

not just a bunch of "IF"s
Palmer has opened up more and more of the playbook, as he has gotten the tools, 5 Year Plan is still in effect, we have not seen everything we have, and as Casserly, Capers, Palmer get their players they want in place, we will see more and more of our offense, and our defense

THEFUTURE
05-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Coles dropped 7 balls last year. 11 the year before. And I think the guys at Stats, Inc. are being kind to Coles.

Coles stats at Stats, Inc. (http://snap.stats.com/snap/pfw/nfl/playerstats.asp?yr=O&id=05107)

I think the worst thing that could happen to a guy coming out of Division I-AA is have pressure to start right away. Forget route running, how about just learning to get off the LOS? A good press cover corner can turn a 4.3 speedster into a 4.6 mudder. Too bad Aaron Glenn is no longer on the team, he could have shown Mathis a lot of tricks in that area.
a track guy is used to getting of a line quick, and as its known, mathis was definatly a track guy as well as a football player, and the two do go hand in hand at some points... especially getting off the LOS. track runners need explosion off the blocks, and that can translate to explosion of the line. and when it does, he is so quick, he will have the DB on his heels and the DB will be done

ATX
05-18-2005, 04:05 PM
AJ was a track guy in college and even came in second place at the probowl fastest man challenge, just barely losing it. didn't AJ come in running a 4.3 something out of college. sometimes i forget how fast AJ is because of his other abilities. anyway, i forgot my point.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
05-18-2005, 04:22 PM
I think AJ ran a 4.34

Texan in Japan
05-18-2005, 05:08 PM
I have a good feeling about Mathis. He wants to prove teams that passed on him that they made a mistake. His speed alone, will open up some options for us if he sees time in 3-4 WR sets. On spec teams, we may have something special...I'm remembering the excitement a Billy "White Shoes" Johnson use to bring to Houston and think this kid may do that again for us. A lot will depend on him grasping the nuances of the pro game quickly and adapting his pure speed to the game's speed.

vtech9
05-18-2005, 09:32 PM
I have a good feeling about Mathis. He wants to prove teams that passed on him that they made a mistake. His speed alone, will open up some options for us if he sees time in 3-4 WR sets. On spec teams, we may have something special...I'm remembering the excitement a Billy "White Shoes" Johnson use to bring to Houston and think this kid may do that again for us. A lot will depend on him grasping the nuances of the pro game quickly and adapting his pure speed to the game's speed.
I still see defenses double-teaming AJ and leaving Mathis in 1-on-1, at least at first. If Mathis starts burning the 1-on-1 coverage, will defenses start doubling him and leave AJ 1-on-1? Either way, it would open up the field for the other WR's & TE's, and it would also open the running game.

Someone said earlier that Carr only gets 2.5 seconds to throw the ball and in that time Mathis would already be 20 yds down the field. What they didn't mention is that if Carr throws the ball 40 yds and it takes another 2.5 seconds for the ball to get there, Mathis would have to stop and wait for the ball considering that Mathis runs the 40 in the mid 4.2 second rang.

If you can't tell, I'm excited to see our Offense in action. :drool:

Number19
05-18-2005, 10:52 PM
Mathis, lined up in a one-back set (3 WR's plus a TE), opens up the offense in so many ways. If he proves to be a serious deep threat, I could see the opposing team being forced into a nickle defense, with a 2 deep zone covering AJ and Mathis. This results in a favorable match-up for the 3rd receiver and the TE. And just as important, it opens huge holes for the running game.

I think Bradford could re-emerge as a viable threat. Can you imagine Mathis lined up wide on one side, Bradford wide on the other, with AJ in the slot?