PDA

View Full Version : Texans vs Titans game dillema

HTown2ATX
10-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Ok, so, here is my dillema. Massive, huge, enormous game Sunday as we all know. I have my daughter. I have no DVR or anything like that nor do I have a smartphone or tablet to watch away from home.

My daughter has a school fall fest Sunday that lasts all day and I volunteered us to work a booth and be there from 9-11am, so plenty of time to get home for the noon kick. Well, my ex will be at the festival all day from when I am there until probably the end later in the evening.

So, my 5 year old may want to stay longer than I do and I don't want to drag her home so I can watch football but I don't feel right leaving her with my ex while it is my time with her to watch football (obviously I'm not going to make it known why I want to leave at 11 but unless my ex became a moron over night she'll figure it out) and I REALL, REALLY want to see this friggin game!

Anyone who knows my posts at all knows I ALWAYS put my daughter first, so I think I'm ok with coming home to watch the game but I wanted to see what yall think as outsiders. Would this make me look like douche dad?

False Start
10-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Bust out the VCR!

HTown2ATX
10-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Bust out the VCR!

LMAO....do they even sell blank tapes at the store anymore???

I actually do still have a VCR lol. :kubepalm:

Vinnie
10-21-2011, 08:36 AM
Ice cream. Get some ice cream and when it's time to leave if she says she wants to stay say "but we have ice cream at home for dessert after lunch". She'll hop in the car.

At least my son would have when he was five. :D

PapaL
10-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Father first, fan second. Stay awhile and come home to catch the 2nd half.

Blake
10-21-2011, 08:37 AM
I feel for ya bro. But the Texans can wait. If your daughter wants to spend more time at the fall fest then I say enjoy your time with her at the fall fest. You will still get home in plenty of time to catch the 2nd half I would assume.

If you drag her home and we get killed in Tennessee you will be double pissed.

b0ng
10-21-2011, 08:38 AM
Bribery. Toys also work as well as chloroform.

Runner
10-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Fast forward to the (hopefully distant) future:

You are laying on your death bed. Will you be thinking, "I wish I had spent more time watching the Texans".

If so, the decision is clear. :)

False Start
10-21-2011, 08:40 AM
LMAO....do they even sell blank tapes at the store anymore???

I actually do still have a VCR lol. :kubepalm:

Crazy thing is, I have a 6 pack of blank tapes, and a VCR. I gotta have something to watch my PanterA boots on. I also do tape trading so I need them.

SAMURAITEXAN
10-21-2011, 08:42 AM
I always put my family first(try to anyway). If you can, try to be with your daughter. Every moment is precious when you with your own child/children.

Ask your friend who has DVR to record the game for you and see it at your friend's place or take DVD where you would be able to watch the game.

HTown2ATX
10-21-2011, 08:58 AM
To respond to various posts withough cutting up quotes as I am on the fly at work....

Exactly, I always put my daughter first and have blwon off things I want to do ever since she was born. So I always do dad 1st, fan 2nd,.......this is the 1st time, I've had a twnige of doing somthing i want to do you know (just to clarify for some posters who don't know me) plus it's not like I would blow off the whole weekend.....just a few hours...at least that is how my mind tries tro justify it. Obviously I didn't feel quite right about it so that is why I posted....sounds like I would be douche dad and I don't want to go there...

Sounds like I need to find some blank tapes :)

Also, to who posted it.....yes...I would be DOUBLE pissed if I came home only to see the Texans **** their pants....which we all know could happen :kubepalm:

Darn my daughter growing up and having her own "schedule" and events now lol :)....Saturday we'll be busy with Girl Scouts stuff all day.

Maddict5
10-21-2011, 09:09 AM
my advice: stick around until half 11 or as long as possible even if it means missing a small bit of the game & plan something nice for you to do with your daughter after the game. theres plenty of afternoon/evening there for everyone to win

GP
10-21-2011, 09:17 AM
If we had no losses, or only one loss, I can see the temptation.

But in this case, I'd say you stand a good chance of just being miserable if you watch the game. You'll have misery from watching us blow the game, and then there'll be little needles of guilt that you sacrificed even one minute of time with your daughter for the displeasure of watching the Texans lose the game.

I'm not saying you SHOULD feel guilty, just saying it's in the human psyche to play the "hindsight" game whereby we can't entirely escape the feelings of 'Why didn't I just do abc instead of xyz?"

Now, if you can go into the viewing of the game with the attitude of "If at some point we're obviously not 'in the game,' then I'm bugging out and done with it..." then perhaps that's good for you. I just know that I am a fairly grumpy person when I see my team suck eggs on the field. Nobody wants to be around me for an hour or so afterward.

Whatever you do, nobody will judge you. I won't. These Texans this year, man I just don't think we're missing anything if we choose to do something else. There is an option to pay like $40 with NFL.com where on Tuesdays you can re-watch any game and it gives you hi-def picture, unique camera angles not seen during the original telecast, you should check it out. Might be a good option if you miss the whole game, we win, and you want to watch it Tuesday.

HOU-TEX
10-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Stay with your little girl! You'll likely have a much better time with her anyway.

Malloy
10-21-2011, 09:18 AM
It's all about the spin. You're not just going home to watch the game, you're watching the game WITH her. It's an activity you share, so stock up on all the goodies she likes the most, then watch the game with her and explain to her wth is going on.

Remember, you're sharing an activity ;)

eriadoc
10-21-2011, 09:22 AM
If your daughter wants to come home, then turn on the game and get her started watching football early. If not, use the VCR. You don't get that time back.

I remind myself of that after every loss.

BigBull17
10-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Drug her so she passes out. :koolaid:

Hardcore Texan
10-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Have any of you been to one of these fall fest at school?

If it's anything like the ones in our schools, 2 hours is PLENTY of time there. Those things are CRAZY! I am all for the be a parent first and a fan second thing (okay I may struggle a little j/k), but I don't see the problem here. She should have plenty of time to have a blast.

I'd be open to staying afterwards a little while, even if you stay an hour longer you could get home towards the end of the first quarter. I'd rent her a movie and make popcorn or something similiar that works for y'all and catch as much of the game as I could.

Recently my 6 year old daughter has decided to join me watching football, not an entire game yet but it's been fun!

Hardcore Texan
10-21-2011, 09:39 AM
If your daughter wants to come home, then turn on the game and get her started watching football early. If not, use the VCR. You don't get that time back.
I remind myself of that after every loss.

Keeping in mind I am not a single parent like H-town is and I know every minute you he gets to see her is precious because time is limited with split custody. My take above is relative to my situation (married with 3 children). And in that sense I would agree with you about the bolded.

However, in my situation football on Sundays is one of the things that I do for fun to blow off steam which in turn gets me refreshed, gives me some downtime and helps me be a better parent.

TejasTom
10-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Get her a jersey (even if its the t-shirt variety or Texans cheerleading outfit), girls love new clothes.

80tothezone
10-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Bribery. Toys also work as well as chloroform.

i didn't know casey anthony was a TT fan

TejasTom
10-21-2011, 09:49 AM
...not an entire game yet ...

Just like the Texans.

HTown2ATX
10-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Get her a jersey (even if its the t-shirt variety or Texans cheerleading outfit), girls love new clothes.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc443/htownballa80/menetexans2.jpg

Kthx
10-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Man I got a 14 month old myself and I have been training him from the start to clap when football comes on and stuff heh. Can't wait till hes old enough to watch the game with me really.

But anyways VCR's.. why not just have him record the game on a vinyl record :P

http://www.fraps.com/
http://atdhe.tv/

Also there are some free trials out on a few programs that automatically turn your computer into a DVR for you and you can watch the recorded stuff through VLC or WMP.

google beyond tv.

GlassHalfFull
10-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Bring her home at Noon for a "break" and let her come back and enjoy the last hour. All day is too long for a 5 yr old at a fall festival anyway.

TimeKiller
10-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Let her stay up reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeallly late on Saturday night. Like 3 am. She'll be so tired at the Fall Fest it won't even be a question.

Gotcha covered bro.

HTown2ATX
10-21-2011, 10:29 AM
Bring her home at Noon for a "break" and let her come back and enjoy the last hour. All day is too long for a 5 yr old at a fall festival anyway.

Yeah, I'm thinking I give her until 1pm at the festival. Her school and the festival is in downtown Austin and I only live about 10 minutes max away from there with no traffic, so I'll tell her we need to go home for lunch, etc.

Watch 2nd half, go back up to the fest if she wants...sounds like my best option.

For the record she loves the Texans and was so happy when I got her the shirt in the pic I posted above (I also have her trained to hate the Cowboys whom her mom and step dad like haha) but I'm sure fall fest would out weight the Texans for her at 5 haha.

Vinny
10-21-2011, 10:39 AM
enjoy the game on the radio. As a kid the Oilers never beat the 72hr blackouts so we only got to watch road games, so I was kinda conditioned to enjoying half the games on the radio. Vandermeer is a little hard to take though.

eriadoc
10-21-2011, 10:40 AM
However, in my situation football on Sundays is one of the things that I do for fun to blow off steam which in turn gets me refreshed, gives me some downtime and helps me be a better parent.

Football on Sunday has about a 50-50 chance of making me a very cranky parent LOL.

HTown2ATX
10-21-2011, 10:41 AM
enjoy the game on the radio. As a kid the Oilers never beat the 72hr blackouts so we only got to watch road games, so I was kinda conditioned to enjoying half the games on the radio. Vandermeer is a little hard to take though.

I'm not sure but I don't know if any carriers here in Austin carry Texans games. I know for a while 104.9 "The Horn" was doing Texans games begrudgingly for them I'm sure as they do their best to ignore the Texans but I'm not sure if they still carry them.

eriadoc
10-21-2011, 10:42 AM
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc443/htownballa80/menetexans2.jpg

Children's toys in a Shiner box ..... I gotta rep that.

Vinny
10-21-2011, 10:45 AM
I'm not sure but I don't know if any carriers here in Austin carry Texans games. I know for a while 104.9 "The Horn" was doing Texans games begrudgingly for them I'm sure as they do their best to ignore the Texans but I'm not sure if they still carry them.
well, that just sux. Good luck.

Hardcore Texan
10-21-2011, 10:54 AM

1300 AM according to HT.com

HTown2ATX
10-21-2011, 10:55 AM

Ah nice...good call man.

Thx

Would rep but must have recently already...

El Tejano
10-21-2011, 10:59 AM
well, that just sux. Good luck.

They do.

I actually get to go watch my games. I have to keep the kids while she goes and blows our money but I get to watch the games.

At this point though, I've actually gone about it this way. If the Texans insist on only putting one half of football together, they can only get one half of a fan from me. I'm now refusing to let 16 weeks a year go by where I don't go outside and throw the football with my son or have all 3 of my kids on a Sunday afternoon locked up in the house with me getting pissed. I could stand it when I was single or when we were newly weds but not anymore. Although, I'm lucky. My oldest daughter likes to watch the games, my son doesn't mind me watching games because he gets to play in front of the TV and my 18 mo old crashes out at that time.

Also, BOO to the people having a festival on a Sunday!!!

Mr. White
10-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Today's actually the 4th anniversary of my moving back to Houston to take a higher paying job.

The toughest part was leaving behind an 8 year old daughter a week before her birthday. Now I get to see her one weekend a month.

My point....You never know what tomorrow will bring. Get in all the time you can while you can get it.

Hardcore Texan
10-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking I give her until 1pm at the festival. Her school and the festival is in downtown Austin and I only live about 10 minutes max away from there with no traffic, so I'll tell her we need to go home for lunch, etc.

Watch 2nd half, go back up to the fest if she wants...sounds like my best option.

For the record she loves the Texans and was so happy when I got her the shirt in the pic I posted above (I also have her trained to hate the Cowboys whom her mom and step dad like haha) but I'm sure fall fest would out weight the Texans for her at 5 haha.

Sounds like a good compromise. And after 4 hours at fall fest you'll be ready for a break....lol

Double Barrel
10-21-2011, 11:25 AM
As mentioned above, bribery. Candy - lots of it - and a My Little Pony or something for her dollhouse in the picture. Maybe even mix in a Happy Meal or something.

Obviously, you have to face the reality that she might not want to go home and you miss the game. And be okay with that. I'd hate to be in that spot, as well, but I would be the same: family first.

Good luck, man! Positive karma thoughts headed your way from H-town! :)

2slik4u
10-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Ok, so, here is my dillema. Massive, huge, enormous game Sunday as we all know. I have my daughter. I have no DVR or anything like that nor do I have a smartphone or tablet to watch away from home.

My daughter has a school fall fest Sunday that lasts all day and I volunteered us to work a booth and be there from 9-11am, so plenty of time to get home for the noon kick. Well, my ex will be at the festival all day from when I am there until probably the end later in the evening.

So, my 5 year old may want to stay longer than I do and I don't want to drag her home so I can watch football but I don't feel right leaving her with my ex while it is my time with her to watch football (obviously I'm not going to make it known why I want to leave at 11 but unless my ex became a moron over night she'll figure it out) and I REALL, REALLY want to see this friggin game!

Anyone who knows my posts at all knows I ALWAYS put my daughter first, so I think I'm ok with coming home to watch the game but I wanted to see what yall think as outsiders. Would this make me look like douche dad?

Now take this for what its worth from a man with no kids yet but here is how I see it.

Make plans to leave at 11am and tell her as soon as you leave you will take her to where ever makes her happy. Preferably a food place with TV's and stuff to keep her entertained.

If you dont think that would work, leave at 11am as planned and deal with it on the fly. Im sure you have sacrificed a huge amount to be able to pull one favor with her.

....but then again, I have no kids so I dont have a frame of reference.

From the looks of the other guys in this thread (whom Im sure have kids) it appears you are going to be screwed and will need to stay.

2slik4u
10-21-2011, 11:58 AM

...and a $10 pocket radio with headphones.

HTown2ATX
10-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Also, BOO to the people having a festival on a Sunday!!!

Dude....seriously :kubepalm:

I actually lucked out the last few weekends as she had 2 birthday parties to go to for friends that she knows from school that I have no idea who they are. So A) I'm going into an environment for a kids bday where I know no one B) I'm not going to show up empty handed so I have to guess on what to get and buy a gift, card, bag, etc C) Spend 3 to 4 hours with people I don't know trying to mingle with me. I'm not Mr. Anti-social per say but I'm not the guy who's always snapping invisible suspenders with a happy face on and just meeting random people......that only happens when drunk lol.

Anyway, point being at least at those 2 parties they were smart enough to have football on which was much appreciated. However, open air school fest.....I think my luck ran out on that hence the dillema.

Also, those bdays were on Saturdays so it didn't matter....I can take or leave NCAA ball.

nero THE zero
10-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Have any of you been to one of these fall fest at school?

If it's anything like the ones in our schools, 2 hours is PLENTY of time there. Those things are CRAZY! I am all for the be a parent first and a fan second thing (okay I may struggle a little j/k), but I don't see the problem here. She should have plenty of time to have a blast.

I'd be open to staying afterwards a little while, even if you stay an hour longer you could get home towards the end of the first quarter. I'd rent her a movie and make popcorn or something similiar that works for y'all and catch as much of the game as I could.

Recently my 6 year old daughter has decided to join me watching football, not an entire game yet but it's been fun!
This.

Falls festivals are crazy. Stay there until noon and then head home. That's plenty of time for her to enjoy it.

Grab her a Happy Meal and Tangled (McD's usually have Red Boxes) on the way home and enjoy the final 3 quarters guilt free.

eriadoc
10-21-2011, 01:02 PM
I'm not Mr. Anti-social per say but I'm not the guy who's always snapping invisible suspenders with a happy face on and just meeting random people......that only happens when drunk lol.

I think you found your own solution to that little problem. :D

brakos82
10-21-2011, 01:07 PM
I like the ice cream bribe idea myself. Unless you live by an A&W, then milkshakes. :kitten:

Javi
10-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Buy a TV, take it to the festival, take it back when you're done.

Texanmike02
10-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Buy a TV, take it to the festival, take it back when you're done.

Way to make use of your post this year.

Mike

GNTLEWOLF
10-21-2011, 04:21 PM

A word here my friend....If my daughter was still alive, I'd miss every darn Texans game if she chose that time for me to spend time with her, and i'd never miss the game. You only get so much time to be a DAD...enjoy being a DAD...there will be plenty of football when your daughter is grown and no longer wants or needs your company. God bless.

TejasTom
10-21-2011, 04:32 PM
A word here my friend....If my daughter was still alive, I'd miss every darn Texans game if she chose that time for me to spend time with her, and i'd never miss the game. You only get so much time to be a DAD...enjoy being a DAD...there will be plenty of football when your daughter is grown and no longer wants or needs your company. God bless.

Sorry for your loss. Best advice I've seen in thread.

MojoMan
10-21-2011, 04:39 PM

Try Office Depot, Sears or Fry's.

HTown2ATX
10-21-2011, 05:24 PM

Man, words cannot say enough....sorry for your loss. I can't imagine not having my daughter.

Although just to clarify, my intentions were more toward taking her with me after a few hours and blowing off the festival, not leaving her with her mom and me leaving. Not saying that in an aggressive tone, just maybe to clarify a bit :)

The mentality you have is what I have, I don't have her enough IMO and I would give anything to have her everyday so that is why I was even hesitant and posted you know.

I figure she'll tire after a few hours and we really do need to come home and eat, etc so I'll probably see the 2nd half.

Double Barrel
10-21-2011, 05:28 PM

I agree with TejasTom. Best advice in this thread. It's heartbreaking to comprehend the sincerity behind it.

I'm going to a 'princess party' with my girl tomorrow, her first birthday party to attend for her little buddy at school. I wouldn't miss it for the world. I'd do the same if the party was at noon on Sunday. Some things have to transcend our diversions. Time with your kids is one of those things.

EVOLVIST
10-22-2011, 01:45 AM
Way to make use of your post this year.

Mike

That's friggin' hilarious! :clap:

HJam72
10-22-2011, 12:23 PM
NFL Game Rewind.

False Start
10-22-2011, 12:45 PM

Office Depot: Check it.... $6.99 (http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/766549/TDK-T-160-High-Standard-VHS/)

:cool:

PitBull
10-23-2011, 03:58 AM
Get her in bed late on Saturday, then up again early on Sunday for an "early" breakfast. Load her up with jars of milk to get her drousy, and she'll be nagging you to take her home before noon.

Only problem though is that YOU might fall asleep by the end of the first quarter.

Titans fan here by the way.

Good luck with the game. Gotitans.

jtexas
10-23-2011, 08:12 AM

Stop by toys-R-us before going home.

jtexas
10-23-2011, 08:16 AM

Good post. Add to it, this isn't some kind of "special" once in a lifetime season so far and i doubt today's game will be the game of the century.

RagingBull
10-23-2011, 11:10 AM
way to make use of your post this year.

Mike

lol

HTown2ATX
10-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Ended up working out great. Got there at 9am to do my volunteer hours and was done with that by 11am. During that time she ran around with all the tickets I bought her and played, etc with her grandma that was there (ex's mom). After I was done volunteering we ran around, played, ate, etc. By about 12:30 we were both ready to go.

The school is literally downtown on a city block so there was not like an open field. So since it was a pretty small area, she was ready to go. Left at 12:30 got home around beginning to mid second quarter so I saw from 10-0 to the end.

Awesome game!!! Was great to see that type of game from the Texans and I'm sure Mrs. Kubiak can unpack since they won and cancel that For Sale sign for outside the house for another week lol.

Just thought I would update :)

OzzO
10-23-2011, 05:10 PM
good for you Htown - best of both worlds. Rep on the right call.