PDA

View Full Version : The Kubiak-era Texans have never beaten the Titans and Jags...

DexmanC
10-18-2011, 01:06 PM
on the road in the same year those teams respectively finished the season above .500

This game on Sunday could tell us how average the Texans are, how bad the Titans are, or both.

Thorn
10-18-2011, 01:08 PM
I don't think either of these two teams are very good right now.

Vinny
10-18-2011, 01:11 PM
I don't think either of these two teams are very good right now.TN beat the Ratbirds 26-13

GP
10-18-2011, 01:13 PM
AFC South just might be the NFC West in terms of mediocre teams trying to not lose as many games as their divisional opponents. Meaning that those teams are battling it out within their division, but you'd never expect the likes of Seahawks or Rams going deep into the playoffs. This year, San Fran is looking like they're breaking free from the pack.

The Titans are better, much better, than I expected them to be this year. I seriously didn't think Hasselbeck (sp?) would be THAT decent at QB for them.

They're doing it without their best WR too.

eriadoc
10-18-2011, 01:15 PM
The Kubiak-era Texans have never beaten the Titans and Jags on the road in the same year those teams respectively finished the season above .500

OK, I appreciate the effort, and I don't disagree with your general point of view on the Texans, but this is weak sauce and you know it. I mean, can't you throw in a few more factors, like weather, when the game starts, and what phase the moon is in? You really need to narrow the scope for us.

The Texans have never beaten the Jags and Titans in the same year when both teams finish above .500, the moon is full, the game started at 3PM, and the sun was shining!

Jeez.

El Tejano
10-18-2011, 01:17 PM
How about we make this week very important because it's a division game and they count as two games.

Thorn
10-18-2011, 01:24 PM
TN beat the Ratbirds 26-13

Titans, like the Texans, have played pretty well in spots, and crappy other times. I wouldn't give an advantage to either team, except for maybe home field advantage.

BigBull17
10-18-2011, 01:26 PM
AFC South just might be the NFC West in terms of mediocre teams trying to not lose as many games as their divisional opponents. Meaning that those teams are battling it out within their division, but you'd never expect the likes of Seahawks or Rams going deep into the playoffs. This year, San Fran is looking like they're breaking free from the pack.

The Titans are better, much better, than I expected them to be this year. I seriously didn't think Hasselbeck (sp?) would be THAT decent at QB for them.

The last line bugs me. You suffer without your best player, this is a fact, but they have realistically looked like garbage. If you are good, you don't go from us early in the year to that cluster**** in Balt.

TexansFanatic
10-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Here's another fun fact:

The Texans are 1-8 in their last 9 road games.

b0ng
10-18-2011, 01:33 PM
Texans have looked like dookie on the road this year. I wouldn't think they would be favored to win this one.

Vinny
10-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Texans have looked like dookie on the road this year. I wouldn't think they would be favored to win this one.

Texans are three point underdogs vs the new look Titans with a new coach, new QB, new OC, new DC, and their WR1 out.

Thorn
10-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Texans are three point underdogs vs the new look Titans with a new coach, new QB, new OC, new DC, and their WR1 out.

Which is a damn shame, but only points to a small little fact some of us have been hounding on around here for a while.

infantrycak
10-18-2011, 01:39 PM

And Pittsburgh beat the Tacks 38-17.

DexmanC
10-18-2011, 01:41 PM

DexmanC
10-18-2011, 01:42 PM
OK, I appreciate the effort, and I don't disagree with your general point of view on the Texans, but this is weak sauce and you know it. I mean, can't you throw in a few more factors, like weather, when the game starts, and what phase the moon is in? You really need to narrow the scope for us.

The Texans have never beaten the Jags and Titans in the same year when both teams finish above .500, the moon is full, the game started at 3PM, and the sun was shining!

Jeez.

To clarify my point (since my use of the word "respectively" went unnoticed.):

The Texans have never beaten the Jags on the road, the same year in which the Jags
finished above .500.

The Texans have never beaten the Titans on the road, the same year in which the Titans
finished above .500.

Vinny
10-18-2011, 01:43 PM
on the road....if we beat the meatballs it will be their first home loss in this early season...for whatever that's worth. :whip:

Maddict5
10-18-2011, 01:43 PM

and the ravens killed the steelers. :kitten:

DexmanC
10-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Here's another fun fact:

How does a coach 1-19 or 1-8 in ANYTHING justify keeping his job?

Thorn
10-18-2011, 01:50 PM

Uncle Bob likes him. And Uncle Bob calls the shots.

J_R
10-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Ravens beat the Steelers, Steelers beat the Titans, Titans beat the Ravens, Ravens beat the Texans, Texans beat the Steelers and that all equals ?!?!?! Did I get all that right?

Wolf
10-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Ravens beat the Steelers, Steelers beat the Titans, Titans beat the Ravens, Ravens beat the Texans, Texans beat the Steelers and that all equals ?!?!?! Did I get all that right?

It was the Ravens Super Bowl Week
It was the Steelers Super Bowl Week
It was the Titans Super Bowl Week
It was the Ravens Super Bowl Week
It was the Texans Super Bowl Week

:texanbill::peek::runaway:

Thorn
10-18-2011, 01:58 PM

Actually, the proper way to do this is to leave out a few pesky facts that get in the way of your theory. Once you learn to do that, you to can be a Master Of Internet Opinion.

Of course, if you're me, then you don't have to worry about any of that, because I'm alway right. :)

HOU-TEX
10-18-2011, 01:59 PM

It means home field truly has been an advantage. All the home teams won. Which obviously doesn't bode well for us going to Tenn

ObsiWan
10-18-2011, 01:59 PM
To clarify my point (since my use of the word "respectively" went unnoticed.):

The Texans have never beaten the Jags on the road, the same year in which the Jags
finished above .500.

The Texans have never beaten the Titans on the road, the same year in which the Titans
finished above .500.

So are you telling us how to bet? Does this mean you're you betting on the Titans? Should the Texans not even bother getting on the plane??
What's the point of this "history lesson"??

ObsiWan
10-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Actually, the proper way to do this is to leave out a few pesky facts that get in the way of your theory. Once you learn to do that, you to can be a Master Of Internet Opinion.

Of course, if you're me, then you don't have to worry about any of that, because I'm alway right. :)

Here, put this in your signature
:D
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/188174_110019132403441_718129_s.jpg

Thorn
10-18-2011, 02:06 PM
Here, put this in your signature
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/188174_110019132403441_718129_s.jpg

:lol:

DexmanC
10-18-2011, 02:09 PM
So are you telling us how to bet? Does this mean you're you betting on the Titans? Should the Texans not even bother getting on the plane??
What's the point of this "history lesson"??

The Texans have yet to make any of those statistics remain in the past,
because the same thing has occurred six consecutive seasons non stop.

You keep telling us how "improved over previous seasons" this team is, but
we're still waiting for ONE that thing differs from what we've continued to witness
from Kubiak's era. For what I said to remain in the Texans' past, it must
cease being their present.

TexansFanatic
10-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Dex, I was just looking at your sig

The First Twelve Games (Where Playoff Teams Are Made):
2007: (5-7) | 2008: (5-7) | 2009: (5-7) | 2010: (5-7) | 2011: (3-3)

Frightening to think how easily we could see 5-7 again.

@Titans = loss (3-4)
Jaguars = win (4-4)
Browns = win (5-4)
@Tampa Bay = loss (5-5)
@Jaguars = loss (5-6)
Atlanta = loss (5-7)

:kubepalm:

DexmanC
10-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Dex, I was just looking at your sig

Frightening to think how easily we could see 5-7 again.

@Titans = loss (3-4)
Jaguars = win (4-4)
Browns = win (5-4)
@Tampa Bay = loss (5-5)
@Jaguars = loss (5-6)
Atlanta = loss (5-7)

:kubepalm:

Last year, the team started 4-2, and some guy posted
"The Texans would have to go 1-5 in order to reach Dex's
sig. Not gonna happen.". We all know that it DID happen.

Over the next 6 games, the real teams stand up and win their divisions and
wild cards. The pretenders fold like the fodder they are. Who are the 2011 Texans?

ObsiWan
10-18-2011, 02:29 PM
The Texans have yet to make any of those statistics remain in the past,
because the same thing has occurred six consecutive seasons non stop.

You keep telling us how "improved over previous seasons" this team is, but
we're still waiting for ONE that thing differs from what we've continued to witness
from Kubiak's era. For what I said to remain in the Texans' past, it must
cease being their present.

One thing that's different? Better players. No real glaring weaknesses - we have weak links but I think that's because the #1 guys are so much better. Or do you think this team is worse than it has been in previous years?

And I'm talking about the talent and attitude of the team, not the coaches. I wouldn't waste your time or my electrons trying to change your mind about Kubiak; so don't go there.

RagingBull
10-18-2011, 02:34 PM

Ratbirds beat Houston 29-14
TN beat Ratbirds 26-13
Houston beat Stealers 17-10
Stealers beat TN 38-17

hard to draw too many conlcusions except that Indy sucks without Pay-me-a-ton.

DexmanC
10-18-2011, 02:35 PM
One thing that's different? Better players. No real glaring weaknesses - we have weak links but I think that's because the #1 guys are so much better. Or do you think this team is worse than it has been in previous years?

And I'm talking about the talent and attitude of the team, not the coaches. I wouldn't waste your time or my electrons trying to change your mind about Kubiak; so don't go there.

Better aesthetics, same substance, so far.

I suppose we are seeking improvement in different areas. You value
improved aesthetics, I value improved results.

2slik4u
10-18-2011, 02:35 PM

Hey, Seattle made a deep run in the playoffs (NFC champ game IIRC) when they finished 9-7.

When it comes down to it, thats all that matters, right? If we go 9-7 BUT win the division and make it to, lets say, the AFC champ game and lose are we still calling for Kubes head?

Thats a tricky one because he obviously underperformed again BUT we did make the playoffs and win but its all due to circumstances.

Meh, win Texans win.

infantrycak
10-18-2011, 02:45 PM

Justify not so much. Illustrate you pick out arbitrary standards with no reflection on the NFL as a whole just to have another bang on Kubiak post - yeah pretty much proves that. When you first started banging your drum on this I did the homework you should have done (and of course you failed to respond) showing teams with similar records over the last 5 years have similar records going on the road against teams with winning seasons. Inconvenient truth for you.

I mean look at this silly thread you have come up with. The Hags only have one winning season during Kubiak's tenure (they split with the home team winning each time). The Tacks have had two winning seasons (2008 again a home team split - 2009 they were 8-8 because we beat them at home). So three games is what you created a thread out of.

Hey, Seattle made a deep run in the playoffs (NFC champ game IIRC) when they finished 9-7.

Seattle knocked New Orleans out of the playoffs last year coming off a 7-9 regular season record.

ObsiWan
10-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Better aesthetics, same substance, so far.

I suppose we are seeking improvement in different areas. You value
improved aesthetics, I value improved results.

You kinda lost me. So you don't think we have better players / more talent?

For the record, we both want improved results. I've never said otherwise. I prefer to focus on positive things but that doesn't mean I'm blind to their shortcomings either. I thought Kubiak was a goner too - but Uncle Bob kept him. Personally, I'd rather have Gruden or Billick - they have as many Super Bowl rings as Cowher and it didn't take them 15 years to get one. ....but I digress.

We're stuck with Kubiak for at least another year so I might as well hope for the best.

Dan B.
10-18-2011, 03:09 PM
According to Jerome Solomon (http://www.chron.com/sports/solomon/article/Kubiaverage-won-t-cut-it-in-the-NFL-2223519.php) this morning:

In six seasons the Texans have beaten one team on the road that finished over .500.

DexmanC
10-18-2011, 03:11 PM
You kinda lost me. So you don't think we have better players / more talent?

For the record, we both want improved results. I've never said otherwise. I prefer to focus on positive things but that doesn't mean I'm blind to their shortcomings either. I thought Kubiak was a goner too - but Uncle Bob kept him. Personally, I'd rather have Gruden or Billick - they have as many Super Bowl rings as Cowher and it didn't take them 15 years to get one. ....but I digress.

We're stuck with Kubiak for at least another year so I might as well hope for the best.

But Cowher had a fistful of division championships and a Superbowl appearancebefore he got his first ring. Six years into Kubiak's reign, and we've gotten NOTHING.

Why did you bring Cowher's name into this? Subconsciously, you want him coaching
the Texans next year, right?

Asking a team to win in spite of its head coach is a tall order, my friends.

DexmanC
10-18-2011, 03:14 PM
According to Jerome Solomon (http://www.chron.com/sports/solomon/article/Kubiaverage-won-t-cut-it-in-the-NFL-2223519.php) this morning:

In six seasons the Texans have beaten one team on the road that finished over .500.

That was the Cincinnati Bengals in 2009. They swept their division (Browns, Ravens,
Steelers,) and went to the playoffs. I'd like to see the Texans do something like that,
but when have they competed in their division?

infantrycak
10-18-2011, 03:45 PM
That was the Cincinnati Bengals in 2009. They swept their division (Browns, Ravens,
Steelers,) and went to the playoffs. I'd like to see the Texans do something like that,
but when have they competed in their division?

They outright won the division, no tie breakers, with a 10-6 record. They could have been 10-6 with an 0-6 division record and still gone to the playoffs. The Raiders last year went 6-0 in their division, didn't make the playoffs. Who you beat only counts in tiebreakers. We lost out on that one with the Jets in 2009 - and it wasn't a division game.

Double Barrel
10-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Personally, I'd rather have Gruden or Billick - they have as many Super Bowl rings as Cowher and it didn't take them 15 years to get one.

Oh no you dih-unt...

Cowher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cowher) is only the second coach in NFL history to lead his team to the playoffs in each of his first six seasons as head coach, joining Pro Football Hall of Fame member Paul Brown.

In Cowher抯 15 seasons, the Steelers captured eight division titles, earned ten postseason playoff berths, played in 21 playoff games, advanced to six AFC Championship games and made two Super Bowl appearances. He is one of only six coaches in NFL history to claim at least seven division titles.

Through the Super Bowl, Cowher's team had compiled a record of 108𢴏 in games in which they built a lead of at least eleven points.

I don't look at just rings. I'm looking at body-of-work to fix our hapless franchise.

p.s. I'd be happy with Gruden or Billick, as well. :tiphat:

infantrycak
10-18-2011, 04:11 PM
Oh no you dih-unt...

I don't look at just rings. I'm looking at body-of-work to fix our hapless franchise.

p.s. I'd be happy with Gruden or Billick, as well. :tiphat:

I guess I would be happy with Cowher, Billick and Gruden in that order and I really dislike Gruden.

The funny thing is all are known for something they couldn't build or weren't responsible for as HC's. Cowher didn't get to pick LeBeau and Billick and Gruden couldn't build good O's for their SB teams. It is an odd group people are salivating over.

Mr teX
10-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Yeah the "qb collector" Jon Gruden doesn't thrill me so much. As far as Billick, i wonder about him. He's been away for a while & if he was as highly thought of as he is by some on here, i wonder why this dude has yet to get another job elsewhere. His track record with qb's isn't so hot either.

In all liklihood, it's going to be someone who hasn't been a HC yet.

Double Barrel
10-18-2011, 04:44 PM
I guess I would be happy with Cowher, Billick and Gruden in that order and I really dislike Gruden.

The funny thing is all are known for something they couldn't build or weren't responsible for as HC's. Cowher didn't get to pick LeBeau and Billick and Gruden couldn't build good O's for their SB teams. It is an odd group people are salivating over.

They all have experience taking talent someone else collected and doing something great with it! :thinking:

I tend to agree with Mr teX, though. Although that won't be until 2028 when Kubiak finally decides to retire as Texans HC. ;)

thunderkyss
10-18-2011, 05:12 PM
I tend to agree with Mr teX, though. Although that won't be until 2028 when Kubiak finally decides to retire as Texans HC. ;)

You know what really pisses me off right now?

I tried my darndest to be positive & stay off the ABK Train... during that time, I just wanted to stay positive, hope against hope that we would have a winning season (yall took that away from me) or that we would do something special.

The head in the sand trick works pretty well, get pissed off on Sunday, drink it off through Monday, back on the koolaide truck by Tuesday. But then it's a struggle to get positive & stay positive through Sunday.

Now that I'm down with ABK, you guys are taking that away as well.

I've got myself believing in my heart of hearts, that three game losing streak culminating in Tennessee will break McNair.... & you're taking that away as well.

I'm pulling for the Texans to win, make no mistake about that. If we win, I'm happy because we're closer to our goal. If we lose, while I won't be happy, I'll be eagerly awaiting a Monday morning announcement & we can all move on.

PHAROAH
10-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Kubiak sucks let Uncle Wade Phillips.

Double Barrel
10-18-2011, 05:47 PM
You know what really pisses me off right now?

I tried my darndest to be positive & stay off the ABK Train... during that time, I just wanted to stay positive, hope against hope that we would have a winning season (yall took that away from me) or that we would do something special.

The head in the sand trick works pretty well, get pissed off on Sunday, drink it off through Monday, back on the koolaide truck by Tuesday. But then it's a struggle to get positive & stay positive through Sunday.

Now that I'm down with ABK, you guys are taking that away as well.

I've got myself believing in my heart of hearts, that three game losing streak culminating in Tennessee will break McNair.... & you're taking that away as well.

I'm pulling for the Texans to win, make no mistake about that. If we win, I'm happy because we're closer to our goal. If we lose, while I won't be happy, I'll be eagerly awaiting a Monday morning announcement & we can all move on.

I feel your pain, TK. :friends:

I want the Texans to WIN. With or without Kubiak, I don't care. In the words of Al, just win, baby!

My agenda is Texans first. Always. I think 99% of fans are the same way.

I do not judge anyone's degree of being a fan any more than I would judge their degree of citizen. A person can love their country but still be critical of the government. And that's the way I feel about being a fan, as well.

Just win, baby. :texflag:

ATXtexanfan
10-18-2011, 05:58 PM
i cant convince myself the texans will win at tenn who is coming off a bye then defend reliant against a jax team that always finds a way to beat them

Lurvinator11
10-18-2011, 06:21 PM
If the texans don't win this sunday, we might as well kiss this season goodbye as well as kubiak.

No way we recover after that.

Kubiak gone.

I just hope Wade remains DC. He has been doing really good.

thunderkyss
10-18-2011, 07:08 PM
I do not judge anyone's degree of being a fan any more than I would judge their degree of citizen.

Hey now.. I've got a birth certificate... it's just misplaced in a Hawain Courthouse, that's all. But I'm legit.

TimeKiller
10-18-2011, 07:47 PM
I put this in another thread:

Year (Texans record BEFORE they played the first game listed, Texans overall record that season)
Game #, Location, Opponent, Texans' Result (their record BEFORE playing the Texans, their overall record that season)

2006 (1-4, 6-10)
Game 6 vs. Jax W (3-2, 8-8)
Game 7 @ Ten L (1-5, 8-8)

2007 (3-2, 8-8)
Game 6 @ Jax L (3-1, 11-5)
Game 7 vs. Ten L (3-2, 10-6)

2008 (0-1, 8-8)
Game 2 @ Ten L (1-0, 13-3)
Game 3 @ Jax L (1-2, 5-11)

2009 (0-1, 9-7)
Game 2 @ Ten W (0-1, 8-8)
Game 3 vs. Jax L (0-2, 7-9)

2010 (4-4, 6-10)
Game 9 @ Jax L (4-4, 8-8)
Game 11 vs Ten W (5-5, 6-10)

2011 (3-3, ???)
Game 7 @ Ten ? (3-2, ???)
Game 8 vs. Jax ? (1-5, ???)

The lists represent the first match between the teams in that year, as we approach the same test again. This is a lot to take in, I know but History tell us this much: the Texans are likely to only win one of the next games, if that. So 4-4 is practically over achieving. They've yet to deal out losses to both division foes midseason under Kubiak. Never did they beat a rival that ended the season with a winning record. Only once have they beaten a rival with a winning record coming into the game (the first season under Kubiak) and that wasn't on the road. Only one win was on the road period and that win?? Last year against Tennessee, smack dab in the middle of 8 losses, to a team with a locker room in shambles and a record that still equaled the Texans. Do you even want to see this same spread with the Colts included? Ouch. But that's not quite my point...

My greater point? It's time to win this division. THIS is that mythical "next step". This is the test. Jump this hurdle and I believe the Texans make their first playoff appearance. I'll drink every color kool-aid there is if they go 2-0 these next two weeks, I'll shout it from the mountain tops with Ron Burgundy professing his love for Ms. Corningstone. I'll be Sunshine Club. I'll chop up the soap and wash my mouth out with it.

But if they lose these next two games? You can fire Kubiak before the Browns review the game tape cuz it'z ovaaaah...

What do I predict? A loss in Tennessee and a win at home vs. a really, really bad Jacksonville team. 4-4. Then another win and loss before the bye, keeping with the trend: 5-5. Then another win at Jacksonville. Between the Falcons and Bengals a win and a loss. Loss to the Panthers, gotta make a rookie QB look like Elway. Beat up a tanking Colts team to leave them at 8-7: TIED with the team they face next, the Tennessee Titans for division lead AND the playoffs. Neither will be in position for a wild card berth. Winner take all.

That's where my crystal ball ends. Sometimes it gets filled with smoke and I see them winning both these next games and remaining in first the rest of the way. And kool-aid flows from waterfalls while bunnies skip and flower sway under a bright, shining sun.... then it starts bubbling dark, thick liquid like a witch's cauldron and I see fire reigning from the sky and the dead walking and people having stupid things to say on the sports radio and Dan Dingledorf in the background laughing maniacally....

I just want bunnies. For once. Literally once because it would be a first.

ObsiWan
10-18-2011, 09:08 PM
I feel your pain, TK. :friends:

I want the Texans to WIN. With or without Kubiak, I don't care. In the words of Al, just win, baby!

My agenda is Texans first. Always. I think 99% of fans are the same way.

I do not judge anyone's degree of being a fan any more than I would judge their degree of citizen. A person can love their country but still be critical of the government. And that's the way I feel about being a fan, as well.

Beautiful analogy.
Repped.
:clap::clap::clap:

ObsiWan
10-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Oh no you dih-unt...

Next time use this....
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvJz8RRTV5vvKpeRDMo2Fe-uvHU3xUTYPxN0eWaU-yRICBrecN

steelbtexan
10-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Here's another fun fact:

But, But........

We're on the right track.

Vinny
10-18-2011, 10:40 PM
Here's another fun fact:

wow, I mean...I'm paying attention but I didn't realize that. :pop:

seriously, I must be in denial to not have known that.

Lucky
10-18-2011, 10:56 PM

Another great post. Seriously, I think you should have a blog on the front page of the site. Sometimes, your stuff gets buried in here and I think it deserves to stand on its own. Think about it.

TexansFanatic
10-18-2011, 11:38 PM
wow, I mean...I'm paying attention but I didn't realize that. :pop:

seriously, I must be in denial to not have known that.

I felt the same way when I heard it this morning on 610.

Such a spectacular, flashing signal flare of failure and yet somehow it escaped my attention.

thunderkyss
10-19-2011, 02:04 AM
:texflag:

Beautiful analogy.
Repped.
:clap::clap::clap:

That is a perfect analogy. Let's go with that.

What do you think about a citizen who roots for his country to lose?

Let's say Iraq. If you don't believe we should have been there, I understand criticism. I understand protest. But there were people who were rooting to lose, just to spite one insignificant little man.

Same thing here. There is no reason to ever root for your team to lose.

imatexan
10-19-2011, 04:45 AM
Justify not so much. Illustrate you pick out arbitrary standards with no reflection on the NFL as a whole just to have another bang on Kubiak post - yeah pretty much proves that. When you first started banging your drum on this I did the homework you should have done (and of course you failed to respond) showing teams with similar records over the last 5 years have similar records going on the road against teams with winning seasons. Inconvenient truth for you.

I mean look at this silly thread you have come up with. The Hags only have one winning season during Kubiak's tenure (they split with the home team winning each time). The Tacks have had two winning seasons (2008 again a home team split - 2009 they were 8-8 because we beat them at home). So three games is what you created a thread out of.

Seattle knocked New Orleans out of the playoffs last year coming off a 7-9 regular season record.

Looks like someone is avoiding your excellent post.

MilTexan
10-19-2011, 07:54 AM
I think we go in and take care of business this weekend.

mridge01
10-19-2011, 08:29 AM

That was a trap game for the Ravens, coming off a huge blowout win over their hated rival. They clearly weren't well prepared. Line those two up this weekend and it's a different story.

mridge01
10-19-2011, 08:37 AM
I keep hearing this stat thrown around. Under Kubiak the Texans have beaten one team on the road that finished the season with a winning record. One.

thunderkyss
10-19-2011, 08:46 AM
I keep hearing this stat thrown around. Under Kubiak the Texans have beaten one team on the road that finished the season with a winning record. One.

So how does that compare to other teams?

HJam72
10-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Yes, but how many teams have beaten the Texans in Houston when they went on to have a winning record? Thought so. :) :user:

mridge01
10-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Yes, but how many teams have beaten the Texans in Houston when they went on to have a winning record? Thought so. :) :user:

Wait, what? The Texans are playing at Tennessee this weekend? What's your point?

mridge01
10-19-2011, 08:52 AM

I would imagine worse than most. One game in five completed seasons. But that's a fair question.

HJam72
10-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Wait, what? The Texans are playing at Tennessee this weekend? What's your point?

I don't think he was being serious. That guy's a jerk anyway. :pop:

thunderkyss
10-19-2011, 08:56 AM
I don't think he was being serious. That guy's a jerk anyway. :pop:

Dude..... he might see your post. Maybe you should try a little tact.

Ole Miss Texan
10-19-2011, 09:17 AM
on the road in the same year those teams respectively finished the season above .500

This game on Sunday could tell us how average the Texans are, how bad the Titans are, or both.

As terrible as that is, let's put this in a little perspective, shall we?

The Jaguars have only had 1 season with a winning record during the Kubiak era (2007).
The Titans have only had 2 seasons with winning records during the Kubiak era (2007,2008).
The Jags and Titans have both had winning records during the same season only 1 time during Kubiak era (2007).

DexmanC
10-19-2011, 09:51 AM
As terrible as that is, let's put this in a little perspective, shall we?

The Jaguars have only had 1 season with a winning record during the Kubiak era (2007).
The Titans have only had 2 seasons with winning records during the Kubiak era (2007,2008).
The Jags and Titans have both had winning records during the same season only 1 time during Kubiak era (2007).

One more stat...

Both of those teams either made the playoffs, fired their head coach,
or both during the Kubiak era.

The Texans do not beat teams in the hunt for a playoff attempt, they
wait and pray that other teams lose. To take the Texans seriously, they
must go out and BEAT THE TEAMS AHEAD OF THEM at least a few times.
They have yet to do so AT ALL.

Do I hope the Texans can win IN SPITE of Kubiak? Yes.
Is it likely?? About as likely as Raisin Bran soaking in buttermilk
tasting good.

b0ng
10-19-2011, 10:01 AM

Not surprising honestly since the Texans look to be a mess without Andre catching balls, and without Mario applying pressure. But Vegas really makes betting lines to induce bets, not to really predict who is actually going to win, so while the line may be 3, I have a feeling this game is going to come down to field goals and field position.

The way I see it, this is the make or break game for the Texans. Titans schedule is going to be just as easy as the Texans schedule after this game so it would behoove the Texans to come out and dominate. Going to need solid ass play from the front 7 on defense (again) and we can only hope that facing known foes will energize the Texans offensive line. This game will probably cause more than a few heart attacks.

Ole Miss Texan
10-19-2011, 10:28 AM
One more stat...

Both of those teams either made the playoffs, fired their head coach,
or both during the Kubiak era.

The Texans do not beat teams in the hunt for a playoff attempt, they
wait and pray that other teams lose. To take the Texans seriously, they
must go out and BEAT THE TEAMS AHEAD OF THEM at least a few times.
They have yet to do so AT ALL.

tasting good.

Look I don't disagree with you here... I'm just saying your sample size is extremely small. I get the road games against teams that end up having winning records. I'm just addressing the original post of this thread.

Try this fact on for size:

Kubiak is undefeated when playing @ Tennessee before our bye week.

There's hope. :tiphat:

Double Barrel
10-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Another great post. Seriously, I think you should have a blog on the front page of the site. Sometimes, your stuff gets buried in here and I think it deserves to stand on its own. Think about it.

Thanks for the props, Lucky. It means a lot.

A blog seems like so much pressure, though... :headhurts:

That is a perfect analogy. Let's go with that.

What do you think about a citizen who roots for his country to lose?

Let's say Iraq. If you don't believe we should have been there, I understand criticism. I understand protest. But there were people who were rooting to lose, just to spite one insignificant little man.

Same thing here. There is no reason to ever root for your team to lose.

I never heard anyone say that they wanted us to lose the war. I'm not saying they don't exist, but that's the 1% silently referred to in my post.

I did see a lot of people say "support the troops" but were against the invasion/occupation. And I know a couple that were for the war, voted Bush, but now want it to end.

I do not doubt any of these people's love for their country, though.

Think of how many people love America but hate the president. It's very similar to being a Texans fan but no longer digging Kubiak. At least to me... :thinking:

Vinny
10-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Texans are three point underdogs vs the new look Titans with a new coach, new QB, new OC, new DC, and their WR1 out.Not surprising honestly since the Texans look to be a mess without Andre catching balls, and without Mario applying pressure. But Vegas really makes betting lines to induce bets, not to really predict who is actually going to win, so while the line may be 3, I have a feeling this game is going to come down to field goals and field position.

The way I see it, this is the make or break game for the Texans. Titans schedule is going to be just as easy as the Texans schedule after this game so it would behoove the Texans to come out and dominate. Going to need solid ass play from the front 7 on defense (again) and we can only hope that facing known foes will energize the Texans offensive line. This game will probably cause more than a few heart attacks.
the point was that a rookie coach in a bad division playing an old QB that is new to the system...a system they installed in a shortened preseason, is favored to win the game. Sure the spread is there to induce bets, but that ought to tell you that people don't see this team as very good.

McNair kept harping on the fact that he didn't want to make changes in a shortened preseason, but looks like we face a team that made key changes to key positions and key coaches. They are favored over this Texan unit that has been on the "build" for six friggin' years. If the Titans can turn it around in one shortened offseason, how come it takes us a decade? I know why, but that ain't helping us any.

DexmanC
10-19-2011, 11:02 AM

The same way that ZERO playoff appearances in six seasons, while keeping the
same head coach, compares to other teams. TK surely asks some illogical questions
in his frustration.

He knows this futility is the fruit born of the tree of Kubiak, but seeks pleasure by running
from the truth. Poor TK.

DexmanC
10-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the props, Lucky. It means a lot.

A blog seems like so much pressure, though... :headhurts:

I never heard anyone say that they wanted us to lose the war. I'm not saying they don't exist, but that's the 1% silently referred to in my post.

I did see a lot of people say "support the troops" but were against the invasion/occupation. And I know a couple that were for the war, voted Bush, but now want it to end.

I do not doubt any of these people's love for their country, though.

Think of how many people love America but hate the president. It's very similar to being a Texans fan but no longer digging Kubiak. At least to me... :thinking:

To some of these cats, Kubiak IS the Texans. To fire Kubiak, would mean
to fire ALL PLAYERS as well. I mean, these SAME PLAYERS couldn't be
expected to perform BETTER than they do for Kubiak under ANOTHER COACH!!??

(although we see proof to just that end, every frickin' year, through dang-near
every other team in the league. Buffalo Bills?? On the upswing faster than the Texans?)

mridge01
10-19-2011, 11:52 AM
One more stat...

tasting good.

I don't know what it is, but your posts are usually spot on. Take the analogy above, probably shouldn't work, but it's brilliant in this case. I mean, what's the most boring cereal ever? Probably corn flakes, then you add some raisins in there to make it seem more exciting than it really is. Just like Kubiak, he's probably got just enough football IQ to be a little better than the most boring coach out there, but damn he's close. I don't know, I think someone spiked by diet dr. pepper this morning.

mridge01
10-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Try this fact on for size:

Kubiak is undefeated when playing @ Tennessee before our bye week.

There's hope. :tiphat:

Even if our bye week is 4 weeks away?

houstonspartan
10-19-2011, 11:56 AM
I don't know what it is, but your posts are usually spot on. Take the analogy above, probably shouldn't work, but it's brilliant in this case. I mean, what's the most boring cereal ever? Probably corn flakes, then you add some raisins in there to make it seem more exciting than it really is. Just like Kubiak, he's probably got just enough football IQ to be a little better than the most boring coach out there, but damn he's close. I don't know, I think someone spiked by diet dr. pepper this morning.

Do a search and look up some of Dex's past posts. When I first joined, he was president of the Kubiak Fan Club. Dude, LOVED him some Kubiak.

But, eventually, he reached his breaking point and saw the facts as they are.

People think that those of us who want Kubiak gone are picking on him, or not supporting the team. The truth is, we speak from facts.

Ironically, the people who often defend Kubiak the most are numbers people who are impressed with stats. But the stats they bring up are often pointless, and they ignore the stats of W's and L's. It's pretty interesting to see.

TimeKiller
10-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Ironically, the people who often defend Kubiak the most are numbers people who are impressed with stats. But the stats they bring up are often pointless, and they ignore the stats of W's and L's. It's pretty interesting to see.

I've been guilty of that. Stats are never pointless but I get what you're saying. My last post ignored every stat except wins and losses and what's pretty interesting to see is that this is literally the same step they've been trying to take since 2006. 2006!!!! Think about it man, that's eternity in football. It's like taking remedial math and failing the first exam which leads you to fail the class. Then you take that same remedial math class 5 more times!!!!! I'M SICK OF MATH!!!! I WANT BUNNIES!!!!

mridge01
10-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Do a search and look up some of Dex's past posts. When I first joined, he was president of the Kubiak Fan Club. Dude, LOVED him some Kubiak.

People think that those of us who want Kubiak gone are picking on him, or not supporting the team. The truth is, we speak from facts.

Right. That's why I like Dex's posts. He's a realist. Did you think I was insulting him or something?

Thorn
10-19-2011, 12:10 PM

And we are Texan fans first and foremost. It is possible to love the Texans and be a big Texan fan, yet still hate the management of the Texans and want it replaced. How on earth could there be any Astros and Rockets fans if such a thing wasn't true?

infantrycak
10-19-2011, 12:19 PM

No, some people have to see things in black and white. Reality and truth have nothing to do with it.

Eldridge Cleaver went from a an ultra-liberal, muslim, rape white women advocate to a devout Christian to transitioning through numerous religions to become a Republican speaker and member of the Latter Day Saints. Doesn't mean reality or truth has anything to do with any of it. Some people love extreme positions. Others realize the "truth" is often in the middle.

Ole Miss Texan
10-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Even if our bye week is 4 weeks away?

@ Tennessee before we have our bye week. Doesn't matter if it's the next week or 7 weeks down the road. Kubiak is undefeated. Another fun "stat".

thunderkyss
10-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Buffalo Bills?? On the upswing faster than the Texans?)

Let's see where the Buffalo Bills, Detroit Lions, & San Francisco 49ers end the season. There's still a long way to go.

thunderkyss
10-19-2011, 12:40 PM

There was a time when the stats were more important than the W-L, this team wasn't going to win a lot (the way they went about it) the first couple of years.

The stats were good measures of the teams progress.

I think we are beyond that, & now need to look deeper than the stats, include all the situational data... fix the problems you identify..... win. EZPZ

Mr teX
10-19-2011, 12:57 PM

Your whole premise falls on its face simply b/c noone is supporting kubiak....they just don't pile on like you guys do.

DexmanC
10-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Let's see where the Buffalo Bills, Detroit Lions, & San Francisco 49ers end the season. There's still a long way to go.

All of those teams have accomplished something we're STILL waiting for
Kubiak to do....

Achieve a record at least 3 games over .500 at ANY point at ANY season.

All three of those have young, fresh coaching staffs, too. The Texans
have been on the right track, straight ahead, but the NFL requires you adjust
to altitude while moving forward.

infantrycak
10-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Kubiak to do....

Another BS made up stat. Detroit and San Fran haven't done it until this year during Kubiak's tenure. Buffalo started off once 3-0 which big whoop means jack when they ended up winning less games than the Texans that year, the year before and the year after.

Maddict5
10-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Kubiak to do....

you get the same trophy for that as you do for having a top 10 offence dont you?

thunderkyss
10-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Kubiak to do....

If we ever get 3 games above .500 (6-3) will you guys let us have a parade? Will we be able to celebrate that? I seriously doubt it, since you didn't approve of our 9-7 celebration.

So, if we can not celebrate being 3 games over .500 (because it doesn't mean anything until Week 17) then I really don't give a whoop about the Raiders, Bills, or 49ers being there now.

houstonspartan
10-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Your whole premise falls on its face simply b/c noone is supporting kubiak....they just don't pile on like you guys do.

Give me a freaking break. No one is "piling on." We are all just frustrated. That's all.

DexmanC
10-19-2011, 06:27 PM
If we ever get 3 games above .500 (6-3) will you guys let us have a parade? Will we be able to celebrate that? I seriously doubt it, since you didn't approve of our 9-7 celebration.

So, if we can not celebrate being 3 games over .500 (because it doesn't mean anything until Week 17) then I really don't give a whoop about the Raiders, Bills, or 49ers being there now.

It's been six years dude, and it still ain't happened. Harbaugh accomplished
4 games over .500 in his 1st year as an NFL head coach, Schwartz went 5 games
over .500 in his second. Kubiak has been spoonin .500 his entire tenure here.

In the voice of the great philosopher Bill Withers, referring to Kubiak,
"Ain't No Sunshine Till He's Gone"

Only someone who.values Kubiak's tenure more than they do
the team could say that we are "piling on."

Cut Kubiak, bring in a real coach, and the team can actually
get some business done. I guess you love watching this team spin its
wheels because of its head goober.

DexmanC
10-19-2011, 06:40 PM

Weren't the Texans getting blown out of the final game until Belichick
started pulling starters to begin the 4th quarter? Wasn't Jacksonville
resting starters the last time the Texans beat them? You're actually proud
of this coach whose team struggles to improve its record despite the yearly
improvement in overall talent?

You don't see Kubiak as the cornerstone of this team continually tripping
on their own shoelaces during crucial moments, consistently?

thunderkyss
10-19-2011, 10:56 PM
It's been six years dude, and it still ain't happened. Harbaugh accomplished
4 games over .500 in his 1st year as an NFL head coach, Schwartz went 5 games
over .500 in his second. Kubiak has been spoonin .500 his entire tenure here.

In the voice of the great philosopher Bill Withers, referring to Kubiak,
"Ain't No Sunshine Till He's Gone"

Only someone who.values Kubiak's tenure more than they do
the team could say that we are "piling on."

Cut Kubiak, bring in a real coach, and the team can actually
get some business done. I guess you love watching this team spin its
wheels because of its head goober.

Instead of rating my values for me, why don't you try to comprehend what I said.

It don't mean shit, we've been here before with the Singletary's 4-1 49ers... let's wait till January to see what's what before we start crowning Harbaugh as the next great thing. How many times have we done this? Remember Linehan? Mora Jr? Mangini? Smoke & Mirrors, you fall for it every time.

thunderkyss
10-19-2011, 11:00 PM
Weren't the Texans getting blown out of the final game until Belichick
started pulling starters to begin the 4th quarter? Wasn't Jacksonville
resting starters the last time the Texans beat them? You're actually proud
of this coach whose team struggles to improve its record despite the yearly
improvement in overall talent?

You don't see Kubiak as the cornerstone of this team continually tripping
on their own shoelaces during crucial moments, consistently?

Again, has nothing to do with Kubiak. Just trying not to harp on the same crap..... just getting tired of your double standards.

5-0, 5-1..... If we were 5-1 with their schedule, we wouldn't be able to enjoy it, because there's no substance there. There's no quality wins. The meat of their schedule is coming up, let's see how they do.