PDA

View Full Version : Our Hail Mary Yesterday

RTP2110
10-17-2011, 07:52 AM
I noticed on the hail mary that we threw yesterday that everybody in the area went up for the ball. It was knocked down and that was it, but if we would have had someone trailing the play by a few yards, the "rebound" made for an easy TD. (I feel like I've seen that before) I mean there was about 7 or 8 players going up for the ball, and not a single soul standing where it landed.

I'm not trying to say that anyone did anything wrong, but I want to ask if that is something that is coached or not.

BigBull17
10-17-2011, 07:55 AM
I noticed on the hail mary that we threw yesterday that everybody in the area went up for the ball. It was knocked down and that was it, but if we would have had someone trailing the play by a few yards, the "rebound" made for an easy TD. (I feel like I've seen that before) I mean there was about 7 or 8 players going up for the ball, and not a single soul standing where it landed.

I'm not trying to say that anyone did anything wrong, but I want to ask if that is something that is coached or not.

Im just shocked Schaubs red rider got it to the endzone. I thought it would bounce on the 10.

foo82
10-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Strangely enough. I wanted Schaub to give it to Foster to run. I felt we had a better chance there in letting Foster have the open field with the entire oline blocking downfield.

thunderkyss
10-17-2011, 10:26 AM
I honestly don't know why we even mess with a hail mary, Why not set up a long screen, let's say we're on our 40, the defense is camped out at the goal line. We get two tight-ends & three receivers on the field. Send all the receivers but one deep, to their 40-45, kick an easy pass out to Arian (who lined up as a receiver) & turn it into a punt return.

DX-TEX
10-17-2011, 10:41 AM
General defensive rule on Hail Mary's: knock it down.*

* unless your the Texans

Wolf6151
10-17-2011, 12:47 PM
I didn't understand why Jacoby Jones wasn't in on that jump ball hail mary in the end zone. He was lined up on the other side of the field and was no where near the play. I know he doesn't have the best hands but he's the tallest, fastest, and most athletic WR in the game, why wouldn't you want him jumping for that ball?

TimeKiller
10-17-2011, 12:59 PM
I thought it would be funny to have JJ make a cut and act like he's pulling up lame....

....then throw it to him while the huddle in the endzone formed!! Like....tie your sneakers or something and let your defender run off, then grab it and go. But that would depend on JJ making a clutch catch....so whatever.

I'll tell you one thing, that well coached defense sure did SPIKE it to the ground.

HJam72
10-17-2011, 01:34 PM
General defensive rule on Hail Mary's: knock it down.*

* unless your the Texans

If you're the Texans, you have to bat it like a volleyball serve.

Rey
10-17-2011, 02:34 PM

When I was in college we ran that bunch formation in Hail Mary situations and we called it hope right or hope left depending on what hash we were on. The lead receiver was the best at highpointing balls and was taught to go up for the ball and the trailing receivers were taught to only look for the rebound.

So yeah...I guess some coaches teach it and others do not...

HJam72
10-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Jacoby would just bat the ball to a defender. :vincepalm:

EllisUnit
10-17-2011, 05:54 PM

i saw pass interference on that play, damn refs :vincepalm: