PDA

View Full Version : The Megatron Rule

Yankee_In_TX
10-17-2011, 08:40 AM
If you saw the Lions game Nate Burleson had a TD where he lost the ball out the back of the endzone. I could not hear the official ruling - they said 2 feet down, possession and 'enough time....' Ruled a TD. What was the call? Was it a TD because he lost the ball after he stepped out of the back of the endzone?

Also (I am 75% sure it was in the Lions game) a WR caught the ball IN the endzone, was sliding with a defender on him and eventually lost the ball. Ruled a TD. I did not have sound to this game.

I believe the Megatron rule cost the Texans a TD that same year.

If anyone saw these plays, can you apply the Megatron rule to them? Does anyone understand the Megatron possession of the ball in the endzone td rule?

Blake
10-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Yeah its the Calvin Johnson rule. Although he hates that he has a rule named after him. Calvin caught the ball in the endzone, got 2 feet down, took a step or so and use the ball in hand to brace his fall. Well the ball squirted out and they called it an incomplete pass because he didnt control the ball throughout the catch. So I guess they say he didnt have possession long enough after 2 feet down.

Nate did the exact same thing, except he had it maybe a second longer and they considered it long enough to say he had control.

Total BS. If you are going to wave off Calvins, you wave off Nate's. I guess it just depends on how generous the ref is feeling that day. Or if the ref bet the over or under.

Texan_Bill
10-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Officiating is "subjective". Reference the intentional grounding non-call on Flacco yesterday.

bah007
10-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Officiating is "subjective". Reference the intentional grounding non-call on Flacco yesterday.

Seriously. Wtf was that?

Yankee_In_TX
10-17-2011, 12:20 PM

Err, 1st quarter where he was getting tackled in the endzone and threw the ball like 1 foot ahead of him? We were eating lunch and did not have sound. Then we met up with Hookem and Brisco County, who apparently missed the play.

SOOOoooo, what did they say about it on TV?

And on the Calvin Johnson Rule, based on explanations from several plays the year the rule came to be, I thought both of those Lions TD's were NOT Td's.

I remember every time the rule was used, analysists would come up with a new facet of the rule - it only applies if the ball is caught in the endzone, it applies to guys who hit the ground, etc, etc, etc.

I think it was OD who had a TD stripped because he caught the ball, rolled a few times and then it popped out. That is EXACTLY what happened to the Detroit player yesterday. And I thought the Burleson TD was exactly like Calvin Johnson's.

I would just like someone smarter than me to explain it.

bah007
10-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Err, 1st quarter where he was getting tackled in the endzone and threw the ball like 1 foot ahead of him? We were eating lunch and did not have sound. Then we met up with Hookem and Brisco County, who apparently missed the play.

SOOOoooo, what did they say about it on TV?

And on the Calvin Johnson Rule, based on explanations from several plays the year the rule came to be, I thought both of those Lions TD's were NOT Td's.

I remember every time the rule was used, analysists would come up with a new facet of the rule - it only applies if the ball is caught in the endzone, it applies to guys who hit the ground, etc, etc, etc.

I think it was OD who had a TD stripped because he caught the ball, rolled a few times and then it popped out. That is EXACTLY what happened to the Detroit player yesterday. And I thought the Burleson TD was exactly like Calvin Johnson's.

I would just like someone smarter than me to explain it.

Well that eliminates anyone from the NFL league office.

Honestly, I don't even blame the refs. Half the time they are just guessing anyway because the league writes such stupid rules and then changes them all the time.

HJam72
10-17-2011, 02:24 PM
When you catch a ball, you go down with both arms around it. If you're stupid enough to reach out with the ball-holding hand/arm, this kind of crap comes up and your catch/TD is suddenly subject to the opinions of referees.

It's a good thing that Calvin Johnson is embarrassed by the subject. He should be.