PDA

View Full Version : Monday Morning QBs......

thunderkyss
10-17-2011, 08:36 AM
... this is your thread.

Let's look at the things that were working & the things that weren't. What would you have done differently & how would it have changed the outcome of the game?

I'm going to start with those early third down conversions. Quick outs to OD, Walter, & Mason... If I've got my script going & I see we're not running the ball, I'm going with more of those quick passes. How hard would it be to incorporate a slant to Mason? OD & Walter has done it plenty of times.
We get those short passes going, it will back those LBs up, it gets the safety out of the box, it opens up the running game.

The play action, where was it? Am I wrong, did we bootleg once & only once, & wasn't it pretty successful? Why did it take so long to get to it? Keep in mind, we shut down Ray Rice for the first half, they hit us deep once in the third & all of a sudden, there's room to run. We slow the run again, they hit us deep again... is this rocket science?

Same thing happened against Oakland. They didn't even connect on their tries, but it got us thinking we better stay back, next thing you know, McFadden is winning the game for them.
It stretches the defense, makes them defend the whole field. Otherwise, it's like we're playing in the red zone from our own 20

Ben Tate looked good. A fumble, yeah.... but he was powering through the line & they didn't want to tackle that big boi. Is he in the dog house? Was that why we didn't see him in the 4th? What happened to going right back to him to show him you trust him? Screw up one time, shame on you, the second time is on me & there won't be a third.
It puts another play maker on the field. We have enough play makers on the sideline due to injury, why in the heck would you want to kick yourself in the ass & put another on the sideline? We have the perfect one two punch, both those guys can run, both of them can protect, both of them can catch out of the backfield.

Arian Foster on a LB... is that, or is that not a mismatch? OD on a LB... mismatch? Foster, OD, Dressen on Pollard.. HELLO!!!
It shows that we have some semblence of who is on the other side of the ball. We recognize our strengths, their weaknesses & that we have the ability to exploit them. Makes us look like coaches.

That's all I've got for now... did I miss anything?

Blake
10-17-2011, 08:41 AM
I am putting this in any thread about the offense.

The problem is not the offense. The problem is the defense. In our 3 wins we gave up an average of 17 points. In our 3 losses we gave up an average of 31.3 points.

steelbtexan
10-17-2011, 08:43 AM
The probem is 2 words.

Gary Kubiak.

TheMatrix31
10-17-2011, 09:16 AM
I'm always more of a "pass to set up the run" guy, so right on about slants opening up the run game.

Texas T
10-17-2011, 09:30 AM
I am putting this in any thread about the offense.

The problem is not the offense. The problem is the defense. In our 3 wins we gave up an average of 17 points. In our 3 losses we gave up an average of 31.3 points.

I will have to disagree here. The fact that the offense can't stay on the field affects the defense. Especially when you look at how long the other team keeps them on the field. So the defense being on the field for 10 minutes, yes giving up points, then only getting three minutes of rest before starting again wears them out.

Additionally, in this game in particular, I really had to question some of the decisions Schaub made. I am not a Schaub hater (I really do like him) but in this game I don't know what he was doing/seeing half the time. It seemed like he would look for the only guy who was being double covered and throw to him. That may be because of the pressure he was feeling but it still bothered me.

Something is wrong and it needs to be fixed before next week. We are still in it but a couple more losses and we will be out of this weak ass division.

TexansWest
10-17-2011, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=thunderkyss;1804953]... this is your thread.

The play action, where was it? Am I wrong, did we bootleg once & only once, & wasn't it pretty successful? Why did it take so long to get to it? Keep in mind, we shut down Ray Rice for the first half, they hit us deep once in the third & all of a sudden, there's room to run. We slow the run again, they hit us deep again... is this rocket science?

Same thing happened against Oakland. They didn't even connect on their tries, but it got us thinking we better stay back, next thing you know, McFadden is winning the game for them.
It stretches the defense, makes them defend the whole field. Otherwise, it's like we're playing in the red zone from our own 20

QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing yesterday and against Oakland. The first 2 games it was a prominent part of the offense. I thought with a defense built on pursuit and backside pressure as the Ravens have, we would see more of the roll out. It worked once but never saw it again.

:kubepalm::strangle:

TheMatrix31
10-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Lack of play action is directly related to Andre being out. If the D is stacking the box and putting all kinds of pressure, getting a good PA setup consistently is impossible.

Have to only use it once or twice a game. It sucks that that's the case.

Vinny
10-17-2011, 09:44 AM
Lack of play action is directly related to Andre being out. If the D is stacking the box and putting all kinds of pressure, getting a good PA setup consistently is impossible.

Have to only use it once or twice a game. It sucks that that's the case.
yeah, play action doesn't work vs the blitz and it doesn't work if you can't get your running game going since teams don't have to over-pursue, and it doesn't work when you over-use it. Having Schaub fake a handoff and take a naked bootleg over and over will just get him killed unless you can start to worry people about the run. Teams will continue to stack the box with our TE - possession wr attack. JJ has the speed to back teams off, but he is easy to take out with single coverage....no need to double Jacoby.

thunderkyss
10-17-2011, 09:59 AM
yeah, play action doesn't work vs the blitz and it doesn't work if you can't get your running game going since teams don't have to over-pursue, and it doesn't work when you over-use it. Having Schaub fake a handoff and take a naked bootleg over and over will just get him killed unless you can start to worry people about the run. Teams will continue to stack the box with our TE - possession wr attack. JJ has the speed to back teams off, but he is easy to take out with single coverage....no need to double Jacoby.

but it did work against Oakland, Dressen was so wide open his slow ass was able to run 45 yards after the catch.

It worked against Baltimore, Jacoby beat Ed Reed.....

& the play action stuff doesn't expose Matt to being hit... we could've/should've been hitting tight-ends over the middle all day.

Vinny
10-17-2011, 10:01 AM
but it did work against Oakland, Dressen was so wide open his slow ass was able to run 45 yards after the catch.

It worked against Baltimore, Jacoby beat Ed Reed.....

& the play action stuff doesn't expose Matt to being hit... we could've/should've been hitting tight-ends over the middle all day.
yeah, but if you do it redundantly it will stop working. The very reason it worked was because they were expecting something else. If you overuse it, they will be expecting it. It's like having a good curveball and rarely throwing anything else.

Texan_Bill
10-17-2011, 10:10 AM
MMQ.....

Jason Allen played one snap?? One Gosh Darn snap???? Jason Allen may suck but at least he'll compete unlike "I'm three steps behind" Jackson.

steelbtexan
10-17-2011, 10:18 AM
You must have faith in Wade.

Do you think Rick/Gary directed Wade to only play Allen one play?

That's the question that needs to be asked.

thunderkyss
10-17-2011, 10:22 AM

I thought Jackson did well playing bump & run early. Tory Smith may be a one trick pony, but he looked like a pretty physical dude.

I've got to think they didn't think Jason Allen matched up well against those guys. I also heard on 610, that they may have thought he had confidence issues, which was why he was playing so far off the Raiders big receivers.

I know Jackson looked bad on some plays, but he had more good plays than not..... not game changers, not turnovers, but solid defensive plays.

Speedy
10-17-2011, 10:23 AM
MMQ.....

Jason Allen played one snap?? One Gosh Darn snap???? Jason Allen may suck but at least he'll compete unlike "I'm three steps behind" Jackson.

Wow! It's pretty bad when people are complaining that Jason Allen isn't on the field enough.

Honoring Earl 34
10-17-2011, 10:24 AM

Kubiak and Smith are trying to polish their record of drafting .

Vinny
10-17-2011, 10:26 AM
I thought Jackson did well playing bump & run early. Tory Smith may be a one trick pony, but he looked like a pretty physical dude.

I've got to think they didn't think Jason Allen matched up well against those guys. I also heard on 610, that they may have thought he had confidence issues, which was why he was playing so far off the Raiders big receivers.

I know Jackson looked bad on some plays, but he had more good plays than not..... not game changers, not turnovers, but solid defensive plays.

what got him benched was missing that tackle on Heyward-Bey while in zero coverage. With nobody over the top he HAS TO MAKE THAT TACKLE....but he didn't. Of course, this is the guy that couldn't make the Dolphins, so this should be expected. You have to have good tacklers in man coverage if you are gonna run zero cover.