PDA

View Full Version : LYB's View...(NOT another rant)

Luv_ya_blue
10-16-2011, 07:10 PM
I was talking with a buddy over the course of the past few weeks about our beloved Texans. He shared many of the same concerns/complaints that I did---and some of the same ones I've read hundreds of times on the MB.

I'm not a big "blamer," so I'm not going to really say whose "fault" it really is. A single loss is rarely any ONE persons fault...but a conglomerate of failed efforts. I suspect that if we were able to effectively ascertain and analyze the situation seperate from emotions--we'd be able to see that there were many poor to downright crappy decisions made on all aspects of the past few weeks. But if we were emotionless, devoid of human intellect, pure bandwagoneers--well, we'd be Cowboys fans and not Texans fans!

There are so many guys on this board that have infinitely more Texans FB knowledge than I do...so I am I anxious to hear your feedback. And you can feel free to flame me if you like--but this is anything but "just another rant" about the Texans.

I was a lifelong Oilers fan and attending home games from the time I was old enough to go--the family had season tix. I want SO MUCH to catch the Texans spark and be a rabid fan...but there's really been so little to get excited about. I've been to numerous games and have had a blast! When I go out into public, I'm ALWAYS repping my Texans...and when the week after gameday is a bust, I don't hang up my Texans cap and stride out into the community wearing my XYZ hat. I am a TEXANS FAN...PERIOD! Win, lose or draw.

Most of us know and are willing to acknowledge that Kubiak is unlikely to ever take us into the upper-escalon of NFL caliber teams. For the first several years, fans on this mb used the "well, give it time--we're still an expansion team" excuse. From year to year the excuses of why we're not a team in contention seem to change...but the problems are still the same, imho. Kubiak is not and never will be a "go for the throat" kinda guy. Let's just come to grips with it...and most of us have. But the fact is, he's the HEAD FOOTBALL COACH and the accountability for SUCCESS as well as the responsibility for FAILURE, lies with him. Why do CEOs get bonuses for success and fired for their failure? Because the buck stops with them! CEOs make millions of dollars in bonuses because they hire good VPs & Asst. VPs that hire good Managers that hire good Supervisors that hire good Workers! The guy at the top of the ladder gets cred and catches heck for it. Problem is, we can't fire the owner--so you can choose to blame the GM if you like, but imo the on-field operations belong to Kubiak.

Beyond Kubiak--I lay MUCH of the blame at the doorstep of ownership. I'll refrain from getting into a loooong drawn out analysis of the times we've dropped the ball in the front office--the lists are endless, and sadly we all know it. Too painful to rehash.

But now for the piece de resistance--why it's not really Schaub's fault. Now please realize that I've gone from a Schaub Hater to a Schaub Sympathizer to a Schaub Fan to (now) someone that just doesn't think that he's got "it." Most of us would admit (emotionlessly--not a word, I know) that Schaub's "numbers" have been impressive for the past few years. But my thought on why his numbers were so good (aside from Foster & AJ) are this:

THERE WAS NOTHING ON THE LINE!

He had nothing to play for. There wasn't any "buzz" or "hype" and the Lord knows that there wasn't any "playoff talk" for Schaub to live up to. The Offense WAS the only lifeline that the Texans had for the past few years. But with each additional piece that was added--culminating with Wade and pretty good defensive play, a little more pressure was added to Schaub. Schaub is a good quarterback, but not a GREAT one--and never will be. An elite QB is more than just somebody that calls plays and throws the ball. He's not an emotional leader--which is what's needed for a playoff push. The guys on the field need to know that when the chips are down, their guy is gonna go all "Brett Favre" and do what it takes to win the game. And Matt just doesn't have it. I think that it's evident to anyone with eyes to see, that Matt just isn't a pressure guy (I know, I know--I win the "Capt. Obvious Award" for today). But the only way to figure out whether somebody can handle the pressure is to put them under pressure. And now we have...and now we know.

My fear is that because Houston has such an insatiable need to be "the good guys" that Bob will never hire a Gruden or a Cowher type. Even though the city loved the BUM Phillip's and the Glanville's and the Buddy Ryan's that brought attitude and swagger to Houston...Bob's just not that guy. I am incredibly fearful that when Bob finally gets enough pressure from wherever his "pressure" comes from, he's going to just look for the next "comfortable choice" for HC--and that's gonna be Wade. Wade is a terrific DC but has no business ever being a HC again.

I apologize for being so lengthy in my thoughts--but I don't often post in the TT forum and I wanted very much to be respected for my thoughts outside of the NSZ--so I wanted to be thorough. I await the responses of the peers I respect, for their FB acumin.

:texan:

bigfan77801
10-16-2011, 08:27 PM
I think you pretty much nailed it. Repped.

amazing80
10-16-2011, 08:40 PM
Agree with everything. Gary is soft and it rubs off on the team. If the coach is laid back so are our players. I think we have players that have the fire, but hold back being the "good boy" so they don't ruffle the feathers.

Bob might offer Wade the HC job, but Wade was pretty up front when he said he doesn't want to be a head coach again, at least for a long time. He MIGHT be an interim head coach if it came to that, but he might not want that with his health and all. Honestly I am not sure what type of person Bob is, but he did hire Capers and he was pretty hard nosed as a defensive guy back in the day. I think the softness comes purely from Rick and Gary. The owner has nothing to do with signings and play calling, so to completely blame him would be foolish (not saying you did blame him).

I honestly wish he would put more pressure on the staff though through media reports. Let them know losing is unacceptable no matter the excuse.

And I agree with Matt. He just is BLAH. That is the only word i can use to describe him. Im not the smartest guy and my vocabulary is small, so thats the best I can do. The guy has a "weak" arm, no mobility and seems to just fall under pressure. Think back to the times he won the game or brought us in position to win. How many were him and how many were great plays by Andre? The Miami game a few years back, sure Matt ran the ball on that draw, but AJ caught the pass on 4th and long with 3 guys on him. Matt had nothing to do with that play. Hell I could have thrown that ball. What about last week when we got into position to beat Oakland but ultimately failed. Matt got us down there with a deep prayer that Dreessen caught and it was not even to him, he just under cut it and caught it. Matt benefits from great weapons around him. He is just AVERAGE. His body language sucks and he bleeds loser.

Having Andre come back is a double edged sword. We will probably start winning again, but that means Matt and Gary and Rick will be here longer.....

foo82
10-16-2011, 08:52 PM
The only reason why I would want kubes as head coach is his supposed elite offense he had last year. I figured mix that with our much improved defense = success, that things will be looking very good. Now that the offense is looking very much mediocre/poor, there is no reason for him to be around anymore. His play calling is questionable. Bad time management at occasions, and just finds new way to lose the game. Absolutely zero reason for him to be brought back next season.

DexmanC
10-16-2011, 09:00 PM
The only reason why I would want kubes as head coach is his supposed elite offense he had last year. I figured mix that with our much improved defense = success, that things will be looking very good. Now that the offense is looking very much mediocre/poor, there is no reason for him to be around anymore. His play calling is questionable. Bad time management at occasions, and just finds new way to lose the game. Absolutely zero reason for him to be brought back next season.

The defense is playing as a better unit than it was last year.

Special teams is playing as a better unit than it was last year.

The Texans offense is playing pretty much the same as last year.

The head coach is the one who brings those units together as a TEAM.

The result is the same as the last 5 years not because of talent,
offense, defense, or special teams. The result (being about .500)
is the same because of the lack of evolution at the head coaching
position. Kubiak is proving that even with good talent on offense,
defense, special teams, and a top shelf defensive coordinator,
you can't hide the hole at head coach.

badboy
10-16-2011, 09:34 PM
I am looking more at injuries. How are Colts without a starting QB? Would we have won today if Mario & AJ were avail? I say yes. Unfortunately I still do not think Kubes is the best coach but I also don't see a clear cut better coach that McNair will hire. Same with Matt. We do not need a Manning to win and win big. We nee better play calling and game plans. Gar & Matt will get to play out their contracts.

So, we draft better. This last one impacted our play immensely. We should see defense continue to improve and we should still have a good season barring more injuries and AJ coming nack healthy. Cloak and Dagger's med opinion on this concerns me. We need to strengthen our team and prepare for life after AJ and Schaub.

Luv_ya_blue
10-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Thanks for jumping in guys.

I guess for me it comes down to this:

You really can't blame the DOG for not being fast enough to win the race, once you realize after a few races--that he just ain't fast enough to get it done.

Your choices are pretty simple at that point:
A- Buy and train another dog...a faster one.

B- You become comfortable with that the dog, and accept him because he never bit you...but accept also that he's never gonna win you a race.

I think that it's evident which one Bob McNair chose.

ObsiWan
10-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Good post. For a rant, it's a classy one.
:D

I agree with some of it (mostly your Schaub assessment) but not all of it (I think Uncle Bob WILL hire someone of note if Kubiak fails to make the playoffs this year). I respect the way you presented your thoughts.
repped

badboy
10-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks for jumping in guys.

I guess for me it comes down to this:

You really can't blame the DOG for not being fast enough to win the race, once you realize after a few races--that he just ain't fast enough to get it done.

Your choices are pretty simple at that point:
A- Buy and train another dog...a faster one.

B- You become comfortable with that the dog, and accept him because he never bit you...but accept also that he's never gonna win you a race.

I think that it's evident which one Bob McNair chose.Will, your analogy works for me if the "dog" is Kubiak. If your dog is the team, I could argue that dog is probably fast enough to win, but the dog has had two legs injured and various other painful irritants that kept him from being his best. Also, you trainer was just replaced and you are seeing his overall ability improving. You have made some bad choices with your dog but maybe you are heading right direction. You are not investing any more money in the dog so why not let him run a few more races?

Luv_ya_blue
10-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Will, your analogy works for me if the "dog" is Kubiak. If your dog is the team, I could argue that dog is probably fast enough to win, but the dog has had two legs injured and various other painful irritants that kept him from being his best. Also, you trainer was just replaced and you are seeing his overall ability improving. You have made some bad choices with your dog but maybe you are heading right direction. You are not investing any more money in the dog so why not let him run a few more races?

Well brotha, you've clearly given a lot more thought to the "dog" analogy than I have. LOL

But seriously, I thought of the dog more of Schaub than Kubiak...but Kubiak fits as well.

I just think that Schaub has maxed out his potential...
Kubiak as well...

The TEAM...we have not yet SCRATCHED THE SURFACE of our potential for AWESOMENESS!!!

:fans:
Problem is...our "potential for awesomeness" just keeps getting older and older each and every year--and we sure need to get us another couple DOGS. Wait...what was the dog again??? JK

HJam72
10-18-2011, 07:23 AM
I think the dog just needs to bite some hillbillies Sunday.