PDA

View Full Version : Update: B. Llyod traded to Rams for a conditional 5th

Ghostform
10-13-2011, 08:56 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8231ad87/article/broncos-reportedly-fielding-offers-for-pro-bowl-wr-lloyd?module=HP11_headline_stack

Like him or dislike? i know we just acquired Mason but i liked what i saw from Lloyd last year...

silvrhand
10-13-2011, 09:04 PM
I'd say go for it

Texaninlild
10-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Bring him in.

silentassassin
10-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Wonder who the third and (possible) fourth team are.

Carr Bombed
10-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Titans are rumored to be in the mix.

Carr Bombed
10-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Do we have the cap space? What does his contract look like?

Ryan
10-13-2011, 09:23 PM
AJ, Brandon Lloyd, Derrick Mason, OD, Walter, Foster, Casey, Dreesen. Good luck stopping that.

There's almost a 0% chance of it happening but wouldn't that be awesome.

silentassassin
10-13-2011, 09:27 PM
AJ, Brandon Lloyd, Derrick Mason, OD, Walter, Foster, Casey, Dreesen. Good luck stopping that.

There's almost a 0% chance of it happening but wouldn't that be awesome.

Yeah, I don't think they want to get too carried away with mid season moves. After all, they've met their quota with 1 mid season trade in 5 years.

The Pencil Neck
10-13-2011, 09:31 PM
That would be kind of awesome.

Don't tease me.

srrono
10-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Hmm I think our Coach and Gm have a connection with Den, maybe they can give Den a call? lol

The Pencil Neck
10-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Hmm I think our Coach and Gm have a connection with Den, maybe they can give Den a call? lol

At this point, I think the owner is the only common denominator. That was two coaching staffs ago.

Rick_Moon
10-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Do we have the cap space? What does his contract look like?

From the article

Lloyd, 30, is being paid $1.395 million this season, a bargain for a receiver who led the league last season with 1,448 yards. He had 77 catches and scored 11 touchdowns.

Lloyd has 19 catches for 283 yards and no touchdowns this season.

srrono
10-13-2011, 09:42 PM
At this point, I think the owner is the only common denominator. That was two coaching staffs ago.

Kubs backed up Elway currently the executive vice president of football operations for the Denver Broncos

The Pencil Neck
10-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Kubs backed up Elway currently the executive vice president of football operations for the Denver Broncos

Oh, yeah. I was just thinking about the coaching staffs. Forgot that Elway came back. Kubs also was the Offensive Coordinator for Elway's two Super Bowls.

Hervoyel
10-13-2011, 09:59 PM
If I'm the Texans I go ahead and do it. Offer a pick that could go to a 3 if certain numbers are met (but would likely be a 4 and turns into a 5 if he just flops here). Then I start working him in opposite AJ. My WR's this year are AJ. Lloyd, Walter, and Mason. JJ get a week to compete with Holliday for returns and if he can't outplay him he gets waived. Bryant Johnson is just out of luck. The talent pool just got deeper around here.

srrono
10-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Texans need to make this deal if not for anything else, just to stop the Titains from getting Brandon Lloyd.
We wont find a Brandon Lloyd caliber player in rounds 3-5 of next year's draft trade for him and resign him. He is in last year of his contract.

Dutchrudder
10-13-2011, 10:36 PM
For a 5th, I'd do it. Could we trade Jacoby for him?

silentassassin
10-13-2011, 10:48 PM

Don't know the exact details of what Denver's plans are, but I imagine shopping Jacoby's newly signed contract is a tough sell.

steelbtexan
10-13-2011, 10:52 PM
If I'm the Texans I go ahead and do it. Offer a pick that could go to a 3 if certain numbers are met (but would likely be a 4 and turns into a 5 if he just flops here). Then I start working him in opposite AJ. My WR's this year are AJ. Lloyd, Walter, and Mason. JJ get a week to compete with Holliday for returns and if he can't outplay him he gets waived. Bryant Johnson is just out of luck. The talent pool just got deeper around here.

Great minds are thinking alike. LOL

Lloyd would immediately become the best WR2 in Texans history. Lloyd is also a very good blocker. That's very important in Garys ZBS scheme.

If I'm Gary/Rick I do it because getting Lloyd could keep me from getting fired. No need to save those draft choices for the next regime.

Allstar
10-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Oh hell yeah.

jppaul
10-14-2011, 12:34 AM
Why didn't we go after Lloyd instead? I know Mason was dirt cheap but Lloyd can flat out play. IMO worth a fourth or fifth.

Http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=7099051

House of Pain
10-14-2011, 12:38 AM
Why didn't we go after Lloyd instead? I know Mason was dirt cheap but Lloyd can flat out play. IMO worth a fourth or fifth.

Who says they aren't?

This year has broke a lot of Texans traditions.

TdotTexas2Step
10-14-2011, 12:51 AM
What if acquiring BL involved Brandon Harris?

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-14-2011, 01:52 AM
Lloyd is set to be a free agent after this season. Remember we still have to get deals done with Arian Foster and Mario Williams.

srrono
10-14-2011, 01:58 AM

who knows maybe he wasnt availible when the trade for Mason went down

thunderkyss
10-14-2011, 03:44 AM
Don't know the exact details of what Denver's plans are, but I imagine shopping Jacoby's newly signed contract is a tough sell.

The only thing guaranteed is this year right? We'd still be on the hook for most of that & they can cut him after that. They would be getting JJ for free.

thunderkyss
10-14-2011, 03:49 AM
Lloyd is set to be a free agent after this season. Remember we still have to get deals done with Arian Foster and Mario Williams.

& he can pad his resume with this team more than he could with others.

This is still "play-off" mode, we're not looking for long term implications per se..... if there are some, fine & our GM can deal with them. But the most important thing is can we get him without hurting ourselves too much.

I see what you are saying, a third round pick is to high for a one year deal....... I agree.

srrono
10-14-2011, 05:07 AM
The Denver Post is reporting that Broncos WR Brandon Lloyd has been put on the trade block and the team has had discussions with the Cardinals and Panthers.

Scooter
10-14-2011, 07:00 AM
no way i spend more than a 5th on a 30 year old receiver who's only really had 1 good season, and i'm not sold on that. we do need a legit #2, but i'd use that 3-5 on a receiver in the draft next season, or shop those picks in the offseason for a complimentary receiver like one of the speedsters in philly.

srrono
10-14-2011, 07:59 AM
According to Mile High Sports AM 1510 in Denver The Texans are in play for brandon Lloyd

http://www.milehighsports.com/

Oz Texan
10-14-2011, 09:29 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19108351

I think this could be a worth while pick up even through we just picked up Mason. Of course depending on what the Broncs want of course. For a 3rd I might do it. Of course that is if we get him for more than just this year. other than that 5th maybe 4th.

Also keeping him out of Tenn is a good thing.

FR0497
10-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Edit.

TEXANRED
10-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Are you kidding me? Kubes will get flamed for signing another Bronco.

Big Lou
10-14-2011, 09:47 AM

THIS!!!

Make it a conditional pick, plus maybe you sucker them in to taking Jacoby.

I wouldn't write this off, he's a Bronco for goodness sake, if he ever played TE, or visited the Colorado State Campus it's a lock, just waiting for the press conference. Championship!!!!!

silentassassin
10-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but what about compensatory picks? Say the Texans end up trading a 3rd to 5th for him, and he walks after this year in free agency. Does this mean the Texans are awarded a compensatory pick? the Broncos? Or nothing at all?

I feel like it's totally worth it if Lloyd is a rental here. The pick might not fall in the 3 to 5 range, but at least you're getting something back.

nero THE zero
10-14-2011, 10:08 AM

I'm petitioning Bob to offer you a job as we speak.

thunderkyss
10-14-2011, 10:16 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19108351

I think this could be a worth while pick up even through we just picked up Mason. Of course depending on what the Broncs want of course. For a 3rd I might do it. Of course that is if we get him for more than just this year. other than that 5th maybe 4th.

Also keeping him out of Tenn is a good thing.

I don't think the Mason deal is as detrimental to this as the contracts Walter & JJ got. We're looking at Walter as a #2 & JJ as a #2/1a & neither belong in either spot. If we get Brandon Lloyd, & when AJ comes back we'll truly have the talented receivers we thought we had.

Andre, Lloyd, Mason, Walter/JJ & you can get rid of either of those two for all I care, depending on what you really want for your offense. You want the extra speed, you keep JJ; you want the hands, you keep Walter, either would make sense behind that trio.

Ewwh.... good point.

thunderkyss
10-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Championship!!!!!

Dream Team, baby

:koolaid:

Ole Miss Texan
10-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Remember last year?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkZnlxPAMCQ&feature=related

Jacoby can't do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-sfN07a_pc&feature=related

srrono
10-14-2011, 10:25 AM

I think fans would forgive him on this move,
Schaub-Foster-Daniels-Johnson-Lloyd-Walters-Mason-Dreessen-Casey-Tate-Ward Scary

Cerberus
10-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Should the Texans have gone after Derrick Mason, knowing that Brandon Lloyd was available? Which one better fits what the Texans are trying to do, and their needs?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/14/your-morning-brandon-lloyd-update/

Maybe they should go after him as well.

texanmojo
10-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Being discussed here:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85915

drunkcookie
10-14-2011, 12:55 PM
hmmm... I've thought long and hard about this... m okay, for maybe five seconds...

I'm just not ready to say they should try to go after Lloyd... I mean, they damn well better be going after Lloyd right damn now is what I'm saying...

What's a 4th or 5th round draft pick going to hurt? Not all of those work out for us anyway...

Ndevine7
10-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Ive also heard the Chiefs may be looking to deal Dwayne Bowe. Would you have been willing to give up a 2 and 5 if necessary to get Bowe?

gary
10-14-2011, 01:02 PM
I don't think the Texans will trade for Lloyd after just trading for Mason.

silentassassin
10-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Ive also heard the Chiefs may be looking to deal Dwayne Bowe. Would you have been willing to give up a 2 and 5 if necessary to get Bowe?

2 and 5 sounds like a bit much for Smithiak to part with.

Texecutioner
10-14-2011, 01:20 PM
We just picked up Iglecias and Mason by trade. The Texans aren't going to trade more picks for another WR after that. This thread might as well end.

El Tejano
10-14-2011, 01:21 PM

Considering I would like us to go WR in round 2, I'd say heck yes!

VTexan
10-14-2011, 01:22 PM
i don't think the texans will trade for lloyd after just trading for mason.

Have to enter 3 characters...

srrono
10-14-2011, 01:23 PM

Bowe does great then disapears for 3 games only difference is Bowe has all the tools to be great. He isnt a hard worker. Drops passes drives ya crazy.

2slik4u
10-14-2011, 01:30 PM

Jacoby and a 5th would be ideal.

Dont get me wrong, I know nothing of trade possibilities. Just fodder...

Dutchrudder
10-14-2011, 01:31 PM

So a few things about cap next year.

MW comes off the books for 15 million in freed cap space. Even if we sign him again, his number probably won't exceed 8 million for next year.

Jacoby's guaranteed money is only 3 million, which he earned this year, so his 3.whatever million on the books for next year can be cut outright and used to sign a guy like Lloyd (if we get him) or help pay Arian.

Rackers' 2 year 4 million dollar deal will be done this year. Don't know if we'll re-sign him.

Joel Dressen is getting about 1.2 million this year, and he will be a free agent next year.

Derrick Ward is making 1.75 million this year, and will be a free agent in 2012. Probably won't re-sign him.

Jason Allen is making 1.23 million this year, and will be a free agent next year. Likely won't re-sign him.

Chris Myers is making about 2.7 million this year, and will be a free agent in 2012. I would bet we re-sign him, dunno how much he will cost.

Arian Foster is making 525,000, but we should re-sign him for ~6 million per year next year.

Owen Daniels is making 6.5 million this year, which equals the guaranteed money in his deal. He's slated to make 6.5 million next year as well, and could be cut as a cap casualty, or maybe have a restructured deal.

Shaun Cody is slated to make 2.25 million next year, but can be cut outright.

Derrick Mason is making 1.3 million this year, and is slated for 2.5 next year, but can be cut outright.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/

And while there are plenty of escalators in other big player's contracts, there will be plenty of room to do what we need to do next year. No need to worry about getting a decent #2 WR.

Texecutioner
10-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Bowe does great then disapears for 3 games only difference is Bowe has all the tools to be great. He isnt a hard worker. Drops passes drives ya crazy.

Bowe had been working hard as hell all last year and had a huge season. Him and Haley had a rough start because Haley is very demanding of his WR's and Haley spoke very highly of him all last season.

Bowe would be a fantastic compliment to AJ though, and I'd pay a 2nd round pick for Bowe and wouldn't think twice about it. The bust rate for 2nd round picks is pretty high and Bowe would be fantastic as a #2 WR and would most likely put the Texans as the #1 team in the league as far as skill positions.

Dutchrudder
10-14-2011, 01:47 PM
FYI on Bowe:

He's making 3.045 million this year, which we can't take on without dropping about 2 million in cap space. So we can't trade straight up for him, we need to send a player to the Chiefs in return. He will be a free agent in 2012, so he would only be a rental for this year, unless we can get him to sign a new deal this offseason.

gary
10-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Didn't some on here think Steve Smith was falling off last season? I would still inquire about him.

Kaiser Toro
10-14-2011, 01:53 PM
The Broncos got to have the oldest secondary in the league. Would love to see Kareem Jackson for Brandon Lloyd straight up.

infantrycak
10-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Derrick Ward is making 1.75 million this year, and will be a free agent in 2012. Probably won't re-sign him.

Not sure why. Maybe attempt a lower price but he is a damn good 3rd string RB.

Owen Daniels is making 6.5 million this year, which equals the guaranteed money in his deal. He's slated to make 6.5 million next year as well, and could be cut as a cap casualty, or maybe have a restructured deal.

This is the first year of his 4 year deal. Can't see him being cut or restructured this year.

Overall agree with your point there will be room to work with to a degree next season.

steelbtexan
10-14-2011, 03:06 PM
So a few things about cap next year.

MW comes off the books for 15 million in freed cap space. Even if we sign him again, his number probably won't exceed 8 million for next year.

Jacoby's guaranteed money is only 3 million, which he earned this year, so his 3.whatever million on the books for next year can be cut outright and used to sign a guy like Lloyd (if we get him) or help pay Arian.

Rackers' 2 year 4 million dollar deal will be done this year. Don't know if we'll re-sign him.

Joel Dressen is getting about 1.2 million this year, and he will be a free agent next year.

Jason Allen is making 1.23 million this year, and will be a free agent next year. Likely won't re-sign him.

Chris Myers is making about 2.7 million this year, and will be a free agent in 2012. I would bet we re-sign him, dunno how much he will cost.

Arian Foster is making 525,000, but we should re-sign him for ~6 million per year next year.

Shaun Cody is slated to make 2.25 million next year, but can be cut outright.

Derrick Mason is making 1.3 million this year, and is slated for 2.5 next year, but can be cut outright.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/

And while there are plenty of escalators in other big player's contracts, there will be plenty of room to do what we need to do next year. No need to worry about getting a decent #2 WR.

Thanks for the info Dutch

Imagine if the Texans had a competent FO with all of the cap space that should be available next yr. They could load up a really good team fairly quickly.

Imagine a WR corps of AJ, Bowe in FA and a draft pick like Floyd or Jones. Weapons everywhere, not having to depend on the JJ's of the world.

Even if Gary gets fired, Rick will probably stay so the personel side of the product will continue to stink. But maybe BoBBY will start holding people accountable.

Dutchrudder
10-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Not sure why. Maybe attempt a lower price but he is a damn good 3rd string RB.

This is the first year of his 4 year deal. Can't see him being cut or restructured this year.

Overall agree with your point there will be room to work with to a degree next season.

On Ward, I don't think we'll pay him enough for him to stay. He's a low priority given other contract situations. If he's OK with vet min, then yeah I would expect us to re-sign him, but I don't think he's going to get 1.75 mill from us next year.

On Daniels, I don't see him being cut either, but when push comes to shove, he may be a cap casualty. I don't know, just putting it out there as an option.

steelbtexan
10-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Bowe had been working hard as hell all last year and had a huge season. Him and Haley had a rough start because Haley is very demanding of his WR's and Haley spoke very highly of him all last season.

Bowe would be a fantastic compliment to AJ though, and I'd pay a 2nd round pick for Bowe and wouldn't think twice about it. The bust rate for 2nd round picks is pretty high and Bowe would be fantastic as a #2 WR and would most likely put the Texans as the #1 team in the league as far as skill positions.

I consider Bowe to be one of the top 15 WR's. Giving a 2 and a 5 probably wouldn't be enough. You would have to give up a 2nd and a 2013 3rd.

I would do that deal. But what would probably be best long term, would be to let the season play out and if the Texans dont make the playoffs Gary gets fired and the new HC makes the decision to sign Bowe in FA. That way it doesn't cost draft picks. As Dutch pointed out in another post the Texans should have plenty of cap space available this offseason.

Now if I were in Garys shoes and my job was on the line I would bring in Bowe/Lloyd or whoever could help me keep my job.

thunderkyss
10-14-2011, 03:57 PM
...the new HC makes the decision to sign Bowe in FA.

Now if I were in Garys shoes and my job was on the line I would bring in Bowe/Lloyd or whoever could help me keep my job.

But that's not the HC's call.

steelbtexan
10-14-2011, 04:06 PM
But that's not the HC's call.

Depend on if the HC is a Gruden or Cowher type that demands total control over personel. I could never see BoBBy hiring this type of HC.

infantrycak
10-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Depend on if the HC is a Gruden or Cowher type that demands total control over personel. I could never see BoBBy hiring this type of HC.

Really? C'mon. The common belief is Kubiak selected Smith. You really think he did so to cede control to Smith. I have seen zero to think Kubiak is not in overall control, behind McNair, of this team. I have no doubt if the Texans pick comes up and Kubiak and Smith differ on the #1 pick and they go to McNair that Kubiak wins.

thunderkyss
10-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Really? C'mon. The common belief is Kubiak selected Smith. You really think he did so to cede control to Smith. I have seen zero to think Kubiak is not in overall control, behind McNair, of this team. I have no doubt if the Texans pick comes up and Kubiak and Smith differ on the #1 pick and they go to McNair that Kubiak wins.

Have you ever given us your take on Kubiak, 5 years later? Do you think we're on the right track? Do you think Kubiak can get this team to the Super Bowl? & is that even the right question for this team at this time?

Texecutioner
10-14-2011, 05:43 PM

I don't really disagree with this at all, and it's exactly why I've never really respected Smith as a real GM. He wasn't one before, and over here he is like Kubiak's adviser it seems like. Either way it's always been comical that he has been drawing a nice salary for the Texans. They might as well should have just made Kubiak as the GM as well as coach sort of like what Shanahan was to Denver if Smith was going to be around.

thunderkyss
10-14-2011, 06:12 PM
They might as well should have just made Kubiak as the GM as well as coach sort of like what Shanahan was to Denver if Smith was going to be around.

I believe this much & I believe infantrycak thinks the same.

When you look at it from that perspective, it makes more sense that Kubiak would be given longer than what we would think a HC should get to build/rebuild a team.... he's actually building a franchise.

Another thing, a lot of folks want to compare Kubiak's job to their job, "If I don't get results at my job, I'd be fired, I'd be held accountable."

That may be true, if you're delivering Pizza & the pizza either get's delivered or it doesn't. It might be true, if you are in sales, you either reached your quota, or you didn't.

But in management.... "well, you didn't double sales this quarter/year like we projected, but it's a good plan, you had to deal with a lot of adversity & performed well under the circumstances" Heck, you can drive the company into the ground & make a public spectacle of yourself doing it & you'd still get a golden parachute to stop screwing things up.

& I think McNair is handling Kubiak from that P.O.V.

As I've said many times before, I don't necessarily agree with the things McNair does, I'm just trying to understand them. & this is all supposition, I have no inside sources, this is just me projecting my imagination on what few facts I have...... I'm pulling it out my ass, I have no proof.

infantrycak
10-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Have you ever given us your take on Kubiak, 5 years later? Do you think we're on the right track? Do you think Kubiak can get this team to the Super Bowl? & is that even the right question for this team at this time?

Off-topic for this thread but if it hasn't been directly stated I think Kubiak's greatest failing is in not having gone after a proven DC from day 1. Ask Texans Chick for verification on this one if you want. I have said forever he should have pulled in a Wade Philips type and turned the D over like Jimmy Johnson did in Dallas with the O. Do what you know well, and Kubiak has for the most part. Find someone great to do what you don't know, and Kubiak hasn't done that well.

I think most of the nit-picking, bad play calling, yada yada is just that - crap. If he had picked a proven DC the team would have been in the playoffs and 90% of the nit-picking on the MB would be gone. Of course I also believe if Vickers makes the catch and gets the TD then the MB would be "whoohoo we are SB bound." Whatever, call me a cynic. Anything that ends in a loss is bad no matter what.

steelbtexan
10-14-2011, 06:31 PM

I was responding to TK's that's not the HC's job post.

Kubiak has full ownership in everything that has to do with the on field product of the Texans. Not that many fans on this MB would agree with this statement.

srrono
10-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Panthers are out of it according to John Clayton
other teams rumored TEN ARZ HOU RAM

amazing80
10-14-2011, 06:39 PM
I brought this up in another thread and it seems like others may feel the same way. I think we should offer Denver a 4th round pick for Lloyd. He can fill in for Aj while he is out and when Andre comes back he will give our offense another dimension we have not really ever had in a excellent wide out opposite Andre. I hope we look into this and actually make this move. I really think we need him and now with Mason, we could let JJ go and have Aj, Lloyd, Walter and Mason...that would be nice!

silentassassin
10-14-2011, 06:40 PM

Saw reports about Tennessee and Arizona. What about for Houston and St. Louis? Is that just speculation from elsewhere?

srrono
10-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Saw reports about Tennessee and Arizona. What about for Houston and St. Louis? Is that just speculation from elsewhere?

rams are in a lot of reports hou I heard on Mile High Sports AM1510 denver sports radio

djohn2oo8
10-14-2011, 06:45 PM

He'll end up in Tennessee. No inside info, just a logical assumption, because "we can only trade for one stopgap reciever". :toropalm:

srrono
10-14-2011, 06:53 PM
PeterBurnsRadio Peter Burns
ESPN's Clayton says Brandon Lloyd prob not traded, NFL Network's Lombardi says he likely will. Which side you got?

jppaul
10-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Put me firmly on the side opposite Lombardi. That's guys has a worse prediction percentage than Harold camping.

silentassassin
10-14-2011, 07:18 PM
He'll end up in Tennessee. No inside info, just a logical assumption, because "we can only trade for one stopgap reciever". :toropalm:

I thought about this and it makes me nervous as hell. The situation in the division right now is so volatile between Texans and Titans, and not ever having witness the home team get over the hump really loosens my bowels(alternative to a more vulgar idiom).

srrono
10-14-2011, 08:01 PM

nfldraftupdate Dion Caputi
#Cardinals reportedly have no interest in acquiring #Broncos WR Brandon Lloyd in a trade prior to the October 18th trade deadline.

BattleRedToro
10-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Off-topic for this thread but if it hasn't been directly stated I think Kubiak's greatest failing is in not having gone after a proven DC from day 1. Ask Texans Chick for verification on this one if you want. I have said forever he should have pulled in a Wade Philips type and turned the D over like Jimmy Johnson did in Dallas with the O. Do what you know well, and Kubiak has for the most part. Find someone great to do what you don't know, and Kubiak hasn't done that well.

I think most of the nit-picking, bad play calling, yada yada is just that - crap. If he had picked a proven DC the team would have been in the playoffs and 90% of the nit-picking on the MB would be gone. Of course I also believe if Vickers makes the catch and gets the TD then the MB would be "whoohoo we are SB bound." Whatever, call me a cynic. Anything that ends in a loss is bad no matter what.

I agree with you about the DC. In general I agree that Kubiak is good with offensive playcalling, but that was what made some of the playcalling in the Raiders so frustrating to me. He should have used pre-snap formations like he has in the past to place the Raiders at a disadvantage. For instance, if the Raiders are putting 8 in the box, motion into a spread out formation with a single RB. The Raiders must then motion out of the 8 men in the box or they'll leave a receiver uncovered. If they do motion out of 8 in the box then running becomes easier. Kubiak has done this very well earlier this season. Against the Raiders he didn't do it as much or as well.

Additionally, I don't think it is nit-picking to point out Kubiak's poor clock management that is exacerbated by his staff's failure to advise him when to use his coach's challenge. I would think the Texans would have atleast one person whose sole job is sitting in a booth, watching the replays to advise Kubiak when to use the challenge. If they do have someone like that, then they need to fire that person and hire a new one because he failed Kubiak terribly against the Raiders. There was no way that challenge on the Dreessen drop was going to be overturned. Losing that challenge cost them a timeout that the Texans would have been able to use to stop the clock and that might have made a difference.

amazing80
10-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Normally Gary and Co. would have said something about the rumors by now, wonder if they are avoiding it until they know if they can land him or not.....

MFG16
10-14-2011, 10:35 PM
If we could get Lloyd for a 5th IMO thats a good deal, even if its a half year rental. Off topic, but I'd do anything for Reggie Wayne. Colts are terrible, and if all it would take was a 2 and 5 for him I'd do it. it'll never happen, but I can dream.

aussie_texan
10-14-2011, 11:23 PM
surely the 4 teams interested would be the panthers, titans, bears and rams.

yes it would be a good move for us but it seems unlikely. If we get lloyd then when AJ comes back does that mean the KW slips from 2nd to 4th (mason at 3 and lloyd at WR2)

aussie_texan
10-14-2011, 11:35 PM
and if the panthers are our you can probably say that the cards and 49ers would want him too

Shaft75
10-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Do not want.

Mainly because it took him so long to fulfill his potential. I'm still miffed cause I drafted him for my fantasy team when he was with San Fran and Wash. Had to drop him each time. Then he blows up last year for Denver, when I had already given up on him. Is that bad?

Corrosion
10-15-2011, 03:01 AM
Do not want.

Mainly because it took him so long to fulfill his potential. I'm still miffed cause I drafted him for my fantasy team when he was with San Fran and Wash. Had to drop him each time. Then he blows up last year for Denver, when I had already given up on him. Is that bad?

I'd give odds that JJ turns out the same way ..... never gonna reach his potential here but he'll go elsewhere and ... blow up.

One outa eleven ?! ..... I know Schaub threw a couple at his ankles ... but One outa Eleven ?!! :cutthroat:

disaacks3
10-15-2011, 08:34 AM
One outa eleven ?! ..... I know Schaub threw a couple at his ankles ... but One outa Eleven ?!! :cutthroat:

I hear ya', but one of the only ones JJ had a shot at was RIFLED about three times harder than it needed to be and the rest were WAY off. Other than the final drive (which included a hail mary), Schaub looked dismal the second half.

....and I'd take Lloyd here in a new-york minute, but I'd be hard pressed to give up better than a 4th.

b0ng
10-15-2011, 10:06 AM
I don't believe the Texans are going to trade a mid rounder for what will amount to a 10 week rental. I kind of doubt they even offer Lloyd the kind of money he thinks he will be worth on the open market, and to get him, I would think that a team like the Titans will be willing go as high as a 3rd rounder to get him.

Bleh. A guy who has had like 1 good year production out of 9 or so, and through 3 different teams no less, just kinda smells Babin-ish to me. I would probably pass unless the broncos were willing to take a mediocre to bad player along with a low draft pick (5 - 7th).

thunderkyss
10-15-2011, 10:33 AM
I've been saying that Kubiak & Smith has been building the offense on Kubiak's ability, allowing them to dedicate talent to the defensive side of the ball.

With Wade on defense... we don't have to do that any more.

Brandon Lloyd & Derrick Mason is a better 2-3 combo than Walter/Jones... or even Mason/Walter.

If we get Lloyd, we would have improved this roster more since the draft than the Texans have done in the past 5 years. Without Lloyd, we're still waiting for Jacoby to grow up.... Walter won't be getting any better.

The Pencil Neck
10-15-2011, 12:16 PM
I hear ya', but one of the only ones JJ had a shot at was RIFLED about three times harder than it needed to be and the rest were WAY off. Other than the final drive (which included a hail mary), Schaub looked dismal the second half.

Schaub had some passes that were tipped and he might have underthrown one or two passes.

But a lot of those "poor throws" by Schaub were because he was throwing to where Jacoby was supposed to have run to. If Jacoby gets a crisp break out of his route, the pass is perfectly thrown. If Jacoby doesn't spend as much time trying to sell the DB that he's running a post pattern, he isn't overthrown.

You've got a guy who has thrown for over 9000 yards the past two years and who's been to the pro bowl and you've got another guy who's a third round pick who's never lived up to his potential and we blame the pro bowler? If it was all Schaub's fault, we wouldn't have been so quick to make that trade for Mason.

disaacks3
10-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Schaub had some passes that were tipped and he might have underthrown one or two passes.

But a lot of those "poor throws" by Schaub were because he was throwing to where Jacoby was supposed to have run to. If Jacoby gets a crisp break out of his route, the pass is perfectly thrown. If Jacoby doesn't spend as much time trying to sell the DB that he's running a post pattern, he isn't overthrown.

You've got a guy who has thrown for over 9000 yards the past two years and who's been to the pro bowl and you've got another guy who's a third round pick who's never lived up to his potential and we blame the pro bowler? If it was all Schaub's fault, we wouldn't have been so quick to make that trade for Mason.

Schaub had SEVEN batted balls, that's not all on the O-Line. He also missed passes to OD & Walter as well. Yeah, I blame Schaub much more than JJ for the 2nd half against the Raiders. JJ should be used as a field-stretcer, anything else is a misuse of talent.

thunderkyss
10-15-2011, 02:18 PM

Why's it got to be Schaub's fault? There were balls thrown too wide, in the dirt, too high to everyone... Dressen, OD, Walter (we saw Walter make an amazing catch.... Walter isn't the guy that makes amazing catches)... Even thrown behind a wide open full back..

Schaub was definitely off his game, but that doesn't mean it was Schaub's fault. That Raider DL played inspired. Our Ol got their asses handed to them, & Schaub was abused all day.

Still, there were 4 balls Jacoby should have caught (one he did catch, leaving 3 poor plays on Jacoby's part)... those three catches could have been exactly what we needed to stretch the defense, or turn the momentum.

They all need to play better. If Jacoby had played better, it was a different game. If the OL played better, it was a different game. If Matt Schaub played better, it was a different game.

If either of the two played better, we dominate.

As far as the Mason trade, he isn't anything like Jacoby. Signing Lloyd would be more indicative or JJ's status. I dont' think any receiver who wasn't cut this week is in any danger of losing his spot on this team. The #1 receiver is Aj, healthy or not. The other three spots has never been clearly defined, they are up for grabs & we'll see what shakes out.

Rey
10-15-2011, 04:27 PM

Matt has not been good all year regardless of jj starting or whoever. Matt schaub is an average and sometimes above average qb. He makes some good plays but he counters it with really shitty plays.

And they got mason because schaub doesn't really make his receivers better. We have some very good receiving targets on this team and aj being out should not be the death blow.

Jacoby is not a great player, but shammy and the oline made him look worse on Sunday.

From what you wrote above it's almost like you think Matt is incapable of having a bad game. Jacoby has had a good target to catch ratio all year and now he runs routes so poorly he makes Matt throw balls in the dirt? When Matt has been making poor throws all year?

What we need are very, very good receiving targets or Matt struggles.

When he has to make too many tight throws he makes mistakes. If guys are flat out beating the defender they are going against Matt struggles to complete passes.

You rarely find great qb play on bad teams. Even of you can't run the ball great qb play will keep you in the game. I'm not a schaub vs jacoby guy. But last Sunday schaub had a bad game for the level that he should be consistently performing at.

infantrycak
10-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Matt has not been good all year regardless of jj starting or whoever.

Yeah buddy. Three out of five games with a QB rating over 100. He sucks. So errant in his passes he was leading the league in completion percentage through the first quarter of the season.

80tothezone
10-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Yeah buddy. Three out of five games with a QB rating over 100. He sucks. So errant in his passes he was leading the league in completion percentage through the first quarter of the season.

holy shit! hell hath frozen over... i agree with cak....

Rey
10-15-2011, 04:55 PM

You can spout off the stats all you want. I'm going off what he actually does in games.

I'm pretty sure those screens and dump offs to foster and the wide open dreesen td helped his stats too. Schaub completes a lot of passes due to play design and receivers flat out beating their man. Even the long pass to dreesen at the end was really just dreesen boxing out his man and making a great catch.

Even last year Matt wasn't as good as his stats indicated. The offense and play calling have helped Matt out tremendously.

That's why when the field gets shorter and things are more compact and routes are limited and windows are smaller Matt has notoriously been sub par.

Matt has yet to wow me despite his nice numbers.

And I never said he sucks. I said he has played shitty at times and overall below the level that I expect him to play.

thunderkyss
10-15-2011, 05:40 PM
You can spout off the stats all you want. I'm going off what he actually does in games.

I'm pretty sure those screens and dump offs to foster and the wide open dreesen td helped his stats too. Schaub completes a lot of passes due to play design and receivers flat out beating their man. Even the long pass to dreesen at the end was really just dreesen boxing out his man and making a great catch.

Even last year Matt wasn't as good as his stats indicated. The offense and play calling have helped Matt out tremendously.

That's why when the field gets shorter and things are more compact and routes are limited and windows are smaller Matt has notoriously been sub par.

Matt has yet to wow me despite his nice numbers.

And I never said he sucks. I said he has played shitty at times and overall below the level that I expect him to play.

MSR.

I'm a stat guy, I like stats. Stats can tell you a lot about a game.
But stats miss the situational aspect of the game. To me, Matt doesn't get that sense of urgency until it's too late. The Last two possessions of that Raider game, Matt was outstanding.

Outstanding.

I think he needs to get into that mode after the first 3 & out. I think he needs to get into that mode on any 3rd down. It's just my opinion, but I think Matt needs to make things happen from the QB spot more often.

I don't think it's the play calling. I think it's about the guy with his hands on the ball on 3rd down, or on the last play of the game. & if we have to have 3 pro bowl receivers on the field in order for a play to be made, then something ain't right.

2009, Matt answered the bell, played at another level. 2009, Matt was elite.

2011, not so much.

srrono
10-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Lloyd has about $902,500 left to be paid this year, which is still great value for a receiver who led the NFL with 1,448 yards last year and continues to make his highlight-special, contortionist catches this year.

srrono
10-16-2011, 11:53 AM
TheRedzoneorg The Redzone
Report: Patriots, Rams and 49ers most interested in Lloyd http://tinyurl.com/3q8zjdx #NFL

ProFootballTalk ProFootballTalk
Niners, Titans in play for Lloyd, too http://wp.me/p14QSB-FR1

Vinny
10-17-2011, 10:39 AM
He's headed to the Rams.

http://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/125958825734975491

TEXANS84
10-17-2011, 10:44 AM
He's headed to the Rams.

Makes sense, Josh McDaniels....

TexanSam
10-17-2011, 10:45 AM
He's headed to the Rams.

Sucks for him. Goes from a crappy Broncos team to an even crappier Rams team.

srrono
10-17-2011, 10:55 AM
I am just glad the titains didnt get him

2slik4u
10-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Sucks for him. Goes from a crappy Broncos team to an even crappier Rams team.

Doesnt suck for him. He gets a QB that is as good or better than Orton with the same McDaniels that made Lloyd not just a relevant WR but a league leading WR. He wasnt anything until McDaniels got to him. He will finish the year with a decent stat line and then nail a good contract.

Also, Bradford will finally have that one "golden boy" WR that he has always needed. Sims-Walker wasnt cutting it.

The play of Bradford will improve greatly now.

HoustonFrog
10-17-2011, 12:33 PM
A 6th that can turn into a 5th isn't too much for him. Nice move.

Dutchrudder
10-17-2011, 12:35 PM
I can't believe the Titans weren't willing to give up more than a conditional 6th for him.

silentassassin
10-17-2011, 12:42 PM
I can't believe the Titans weren't willing to give up more than a conditional 6th for him.

This sounds ridiculous, but maybe that says something about how they feel about the Texans. :gun:

BullNation4Life
10-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Broncos traded Lloyd to the Rams for a 6th round pick...A freaking 6th! Could have had Mason AND Lloyd on this team with AJ coming back and defiantly fixed the whole #2 WR problem...

AS somebody stated in another thread SSDY....

BigBull17
10-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Broncos traded Lloyd to the Rams for a 6th round pick...A freaking 6th! Could have had Mason AND Lloyd on this team with AJ coming back and defiantly fixed the whole #2 WR problem...

AS somebody stated in another thread SSDY....

"But.....the kids are battling.....heck of a job.......Gotta keep battling......the kids.....":gun:

Jackie Chiles
10-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Just saw this, could become a 5th if (when) he catches 30 passes. I can't believe there wasn't another team willing to go higher than that. Even for a rental. The Rams could probably come out on top from a compensatory pick alone. Very strange trade.

BullNation4Life
10-17-2011, 01:14 PM
"But.....the kids are battling.....heck of a job.......Gotta keep battling......the kids.....":gun:

yeah save a bullet for me.....

How is it the Texans ALWAYS either pass up or oblivious on these kind of trades? Moss going for a 4th a few years ago, so and so forth.

Just unbelievable...

BullNation4Life
10-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Just saw this, could become a 5th if (when) he catches 30 passes. I can't believe there wasn't another team willing to go higher than that. Even for a rental. The Rams could probably come out on top from a compensatory pick alone. Very strange trade.

I still would have given a 5th just to get him in a Texans uni...

Hell what has any of the Texans 5th round picks done, ever?

VTexan
10-17-2011, 01:28 PM
I'd grab Dwayne Bowe for a 3rd.

Vinny
10-17-2011, 01:29 PM
I'd grab Dwayne Bowe for a 3rd.
step away from the fantasy football...slowly.

fiasco west
10-17-2011, 02:27 PM
For a ******* 5th.

Are we really going to draft someone better than Lloyd in the 5th round? Even for just a rental I would have done this.

Dutchrudder
10-17-2011, 02:49 PM
WHOA PEOPLE! The Texans can't afford to get Lloyd without sending about 1.5 million in capspace back to the Broncos (or a third team) in that deal. Which means, the Texans would need to part with a couple of young guys, or someone like a starting o-linemen. We just don't have the space to fit Lloyd alone, which is probably why we didn't do much about it. The Broncos likely don't want Jacoby in return for Lloyd after they saw what he could do last week.

Trap_Star
10-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Lloyd is still slow, soft, and invisible until he makes his highlight reel play of the game. He doesn't do much else otherwise. No thanks.

Lady.Gaga.3000
10-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Who would you rather have?

Shiloh Keo, T.J. Yates, Sherrick McManis, James Casey, Frank Okam, Brandon Harrison and Brandon Frye

Or

Brandon Lloyd

These are the Texans 5th round picks since 2007. Lloyd got traded to the Rams for a minimum of a 6th round pick and turns into a 5th round pick if he has 30 catches for the remainder of his tenure with the Rams.

panamamyers
10-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Because we are scared stiff. We are simply too frightened to try anything.
We always take the easiest, least aggressive route.

srrono
10-17-2011, 04:44 PM
thread on this in NFL section

badboy
10-17-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm going with Casey.

HJam72
10-17-2011, 04:47 PM
i'm going with casey.

lol

Dutchrudder
10-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Casey is the only one that stands out to me. The rest are meh, but who is Brandon Harrison?

HJam72
10-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Who would you rather have?

Shiloh Keo, T.J. Yates, Sherrick McManis, James Casey, Frank Okam, Brandon Harrison and Brandon Frye

Or

Brandon Lloyd

These are the Texans 5th round picks since 2007. Lloyd got traded to the Rams for a minimum of a 6th round pick and turns into a 5th round pick if he has 30 catches for the remainder of his tenure with the Rams.

I don't know, but you can't expect people to take you seriously with that screen name, LOL.

Honoring Earl 34
10-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Casey is the only one that stands out to me. The rest are meh, but who is Brandon Harrison?

Safety from Stanford .

ObsiWan
10-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Because we are scared stiff. We are simply too frightened to try anything.
We always take the easiest, least aggressive route.

I suspect its that we'd already picked up Mason a couple of days before Denver let it be known that Lloyd would be available. I have nothing against Mason, I would rather have Lloyd. Younger and faster. Mason may have better hands.

tielahr
10-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Is why wouldn't the Texans go after a guy like Brandon Lloyd when all he went for is a conditional 5th.

I apologize if this has been already posted but this is my reasoning.

The next draft the Texans are obviously going to have to address the situation of a bonifide #2 WR. So why not take care of that already and offer a conditional 3rd pick? Any receiver you draft within rounds 2-4 will most likely be as good as Lloyd, within 2-3 years, so why not skip that training period and address the situation now.

I know we just traded for Derrick Mason and I know we have a salary cap. The way I see it though, if we traded a conditional 3rd we would of got Brandon Lloyd for a draft pick we were going to use on a rookie WR most likely anyways. For Salary cap issues we could cut Jacoby and B. Johnson. This addresses the problem mid-season and helps us with our playoff run. Also when AJ gets healthy, having AJ + Llyod = gold.

Thoughts?

EllisUnit
10-17-2011, 07:23 PM
i would of liked to get lloyd to,,,but lets do the math.....

texans

Ahman Green
Eric Moulds
Chris Brown
Stacey Mack

You see the trend. Why would they go for a legit #2 in his prime ??? It wouldnt follow suite.

They did however get JoJo and Manning, but as far as trades i remember 0 up until now.

Corrosion
10-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Seven pages of discussion here (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85915)

:texanbill:

steelbtexan
10-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Thanks for nothing BoBBy/Rick/Gary

A conditional 5th LOL

Cant wait for next yrs KEO.

Lurvinator11
10-17-2011, 11:55 PM
Rams pick up Brandon Lloyd, and in return release Mike Sims-Walker. Would anyone like to see Sims-walker in a texans uniform? Is he worth the pick up?

Cerberus
10-18-2011, 12:08 AM
Rams pick up Brandon Lloyd, and in return release Mike Sims-Walker. Would anyone like to see Sims-walker in a texans uniform? Is he worth the pick up?

No, unless it was the Rams system that caused him to become irrelevant. It appears that MSW was a promising young WR that never fulfilled his potential.

b0ng
10-18-2011, 10:07 AM
No, unless it was the Rams system that caused him to become irrelevant. It appears that MSW was a promising young WR that never fulfilled his potential.

When you get cut from the Jaguars for being bad and you are a WR you are probably bad.