PDA

View Full Version : How did the Titans beat the Ravens and what can the Texans do?

Wolf
10-12-2011, 07:35 PM
This was a quick google search, but was curious one what happened in their game (frankly it surprised me that the Titans won) , but I didn't watch that game.

In my recap of Sunday's game, I wrote how the Titans beat the Ravens the way most games in the modern NFL are won: by throwing the ball successfully and stopping the pass. A key element of the success in both the passing offense and passing defense was the protection or lack thereof: the Titans' offensive line did a good job against the Ravens' pressure players, while the Titans' defensive line moved Joe Flacco off his spot and sacked him three times.

This week, I'll be focusing on how that happens, and today I'll take a look at the defense. So, what were the Titans able to do against the Ravens they weren't against the Jaguars?

Cover downfield.
Ok, the reason the Titans didn't cover downfield against the Jaguars is because the Jaguars really didn't try to throw the ball downfield at all. Flacco had many opportunities to scan the field and look at his first or even a second read, but rarely threw the ball. The Titans did a very good job of taking that first read away from him. It's difficult from TV coverage to single out particular players for credit, but this had to have been a team effort.

Limit Ray Rice.
Flacco for much of his NFL career has been a first-read and then checkdown quarterback. Part of the appeal of the checkdown has been Ray Rice tends to be a very productive checkdown option. He had a couple damaging receptions, but his biggest play was a designed screen, not a checkdown, and the checkdowns were less productive than normal.

Take advantage of your opponent's limitations.
The Ravens were playing without regular left guard Ben Grubbs, who's one of the NFL's better interior linemen. Instead the Ravens played Mark LeVoir, a mediocre veteran making his third career start. Another liability was left tackle Bryant McKinnie, who's probably still too heavy and is vulnerable to the outside rush.

Go back to the old tricks-wide-9 and E-T stunts.
Back a couple years ago when the Titans defense was good, the defensive ends lined up in a wide-9 technique outside the tight ends and used the outside rush. New defensive coordinator Jerry Gray recognized that it had worked in the past, and brought it back for the Ravens game. It worked again, in a way that the zone blitzes the Titans ran did not. The Titans under Jim Schwartz also used things like Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch running stunts. That was another way Karl Klug at right defensive tackle and Dave Ball at right defensive end were able to get pressure against LeVoir and McKinnie.

Derrick Morgan
Working pretty much exclusively from the left defensive end spot against right tackle Michael Oher, I saw more pass rushing productivity from him than I thought I saw from William Hayes. I'd like to have also listed Jason Jones in this spot, but just didn't see enough from him.

http://totaltitans.com/2011-articles/september/how-the-tennessee-titans-shut-down-the-ravens-passing-attack.html

Wednesday

DID NOT PARTICIPATE IN PRACTICE

DOUBTFUL
CB Chris Carr (thigh)
CB Jimmy Smith (ankle)

LIMITED PARTICIPATION IN PRACTICE

QUESTIONABLE
RB Anthony Allen (thigh)
LB Dannell Ellerbe (thigh)
WR Lee Evans (ankle)
G Ben Grubbs (toe)
S Haruki Nakamura (knee)
WR David Reed (shoulder)
S Tom Zbikowski (head)

FULL PARTICIPATION IN PRACTICE

PROBABLE (http://www.baltimoreravens.com/People/Player_Roster/Injury_Report.aspx)

stingray
10-12-2011, 08:07 PM
I have seen several games of the Ravens. Exceptional defense, decent running game and very unpredictable play by the QB. Flacco is bipolar. He can look like Tom Brady in one game and then look like Alex Smith in the next. Let's see what Joe Flacco we get.

TexansFanatic
10-12-2011, 08:38 PM
I think one of the biggest keys to the Titans' victory over the Ravens was that the Titans were playing at home.

The other victories for the Ravens were home games and one away game against the patsy Rams.

I'm expecting a really ugly loss. Anything better than that will be a blessing.

imatexan
10-12-2011, 10:58 PM
I like this thread just on the fact that it is about the upcoming game this week, rare around here right now.

paycheck71
10-12-2011, 11:04 PM
I like this thread just on the fact that it is about the upcoming game this week, rare around here right now.

I think a lot of people are just kind of worried about what can happen in this game, that is hoping for the best and expecting the worst...

MEGA SWATT
10-12-2011, 11:19 PM
I think a lot of people are just kind of worried about what can happen in this game, that is hoping for the best and expecting the worst...

Like their defense taking out MS and ushering in the ML era.

Hookem Horns
10-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Another things is the Ravens had to have gone into that game WAY overconfident. They had just destroyed the Steelers and the Titans looked horrible against the lowly Jags. This game had blowout written all over it. However as Chris Berman says "that is why they play the games".

dream_team
10-13-2011, 12:18 AM
Another things is the Ravens had to have gone into that game WAY overconfident. They had just destroyed the Steelers and the Titans looked horrible against the lowly Jags. This game had blowout written all over it. However as Chris Berman says "that is why they play the games".

Hopefully this will work for us this weekend. Everyone is penciling in a Loss for us already, including myself.

Grams
10-13-2011, 06:02 AM

Wash your keyboard out with soap.

toronto
10-13-2011, 07:00 AM
That came was a shock to me (Titan fan for those that don't know).

There were a few reasons why.

1) The defense was aggressive, lots of blitzes, and great tackling.

2) Munchak made a lot of ballsy "go for the win" calls. It was almost like watching an anti-Fisher game

3) The Ravens were completely flat after the Steeler game. I love the Titans and loved that game, but without a doubt the Titans treated that game like a Super Bowl and were pissed after the Jags game. The Ravens acted like they had already won the SB. Was rare for a Ray Lewis-led team.

Honoring Earl 34
10-13-2011, 07:05 AM
That came was a shock to me (Titan fan for those that don't know).

There were a few reasons why.

1) The defense was aggressive, lots of blitzes, and great tackling.

2) Munchak made a lot of ballsy "go for the win" calls. It was almost like watching an anti-Fisher game

3) The Ravens were completely flat after the Steeler game. I love the Titans and loved that game, but without a doubt the Titans treated that game like a Super Bowl and were pissed after the Jags game. The Ravens acted like they had already won the SB. Was rare for a Ray Lewis-led team.

I've read where after Raven vs Steelers game it takes a couple of weeks to recover from the beating they give each other .

mridge01
10-13-2011, 09:02 AM
Texans should just stay at home and take the automatic L so Schaub doesn't go down on IR too. Then use the extra week to rest and prepare to play another team coming of their bye on the road.

BullNation4Life
10-13-2011, 09:46 AM
wanna beat the Ravens, throw the ball to whom ever Bernard Pollard is covering, especially in the red zone....

Dude couldn't cover the homeless on Beltway 8 with a warm blanket...

paycheck71
10-13-2011, 10:28 AM

Oh, boy.

KA4Texan
10-13-2011, 10:37 AM
I will be hoping for a W but expecting a L, all and all if we get out of that game without anyone (else) going down I will call it a good game day W or L.

Dutchrudder
10-13-2011, 10:43 AM
To borrow from the RRR prediction thread, 'The Texans are going to win this game because everyone thinks they will lose! There's no pressure on them at all!'

:)