PDA

View Full Version : No big NT.... what did you think?

thunderkyss
10-12-2011, 12:58 PM
We don't have a big NT, you know that.

But we just saw the Texans stymie the leagues top running game (currently rated #2 thanks to your Houston Texans). The Raiders scored 9 rushing TDs over the first 4 weeks.... nada against the Houston Texans.

So,

What do you think? I know you probably still want a big guy in the middle, but do you trust Wade? That we can do that again? That we can do that week in & week out without a big fat run stopping good for nothing else NT?

Maddict5
10-12-2011, 01:00 PM
i was skeptical going in... and earl's disappointed but cody has been surprisingly decent

VTexan
10-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Nothing spectacular but serviceable job thus far. I don't believe NT is too critical for our scheme. Could it be upgraded? Sure. But there are so many other holes that we could be scrutinizing (no 2 corner. safety play... WR).

Hervoyel
10-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Wade will find one eventually. He's just not too worried about it at the moment because he can scheme around having one and beat most offenses that way.

He'll probably get one next year though.

Thorn
10-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Wade will find one eventually. He's just not too worried about it at the moment because he can scheme around having one and beat most offenses that way.

He'll probably get one next year though.

yep, agree with Herv here. More important pans in the fire right now. And given some of our other problems cropping up, it might not get addressed next year either.

Double Barrel
10-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Wade's track record as DC speaks for itself. I'm going to trust Wade on this one. :howdy:

badboy
10-12-2011, 01:52 PM
My feelings are well known. We gained some yards with Dommanick (sp?)Davis Williams but not much since then. We get a big, fast RB and he is NFL best. Tate? Looks pretty good also when healthy as does Ward. I think same theory applies. I am really tired of patching the defense just beause it can work. I want it to work well.

Dutchrudder
10-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Still need a NT of the future in the next draft. And yes I would prefer him to be larger than 285.

Wolf6151
10-12-2011, 05:39 PM
I think Cody is big enough just not talented enough. Yes I want a big NT but he has to be talented enough for the position, not just a large ineffective fat guy. Min. 310 lbs., athletic, strong, with good knee bend and leverage. Those guys are hard to find.

Goatcheese
10-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Wade can scheme to stop the run, but the reality is that if he had a monster NT he wouldn't have to. Then he could scheme to get after the QB instead.

jtexas
10-12-2011, 10:07 PM
I feel like we could use a better bigger NT, but somehow it hasn't hurt us yet.

Ndevine7
10-12-2011, 10:10 PM
I think we need a NT in next years draft but im not ruling out whether its gonna be a big guy like 330+ or if its gonna be a smaller Ratliff type NT. I trust whatever Wade chooses.

CloakNNNdagger
10-12-2011, 10:52 PM
When we are successful in the run D game, we tend to get burned in the passing game. I believe that this in great part occurs due to the fact that Wade compensates by bringing in an extra DB and/or LB in lieu of that big boy in the middle who could otherwise handle double or even triple teams.

badboy
10-12-2011, 10:53 PM
When we are successful in the run D game, we tend to get burned in the passing game. I believe that this in great part occurs due to the fact that Wade compensates by bringing in an extra DB and/or LB in lieu of that big boy in the middle who could otherwise handle double or even triple teams.There you go.

leebigeztx
10-12-2011, 11:22 PM
When we are successful in the run D game, we tend to get burned in the passing game. I believe that this in great part occurs due to the fact that Wade compensates by bringing in an extra DB and/or LB in lieu of that big boy in the middle who could otherwise handle double or even triple teams.

Yep, nothing else needs to be said.

pbat488
10-12-2011, 11:56 PM
we also have great defensive ends in jj and antonio that compensate a lot for the shortcomings of whoever is in the middle of our front three.

thunderkyss
10-13-2011, 12:26 AM

Yep, nothing else needs to be said.

Let's imagine we got a corner better than Jason Allen.....

That's half of Campbell's 190 yards & 2 TDs of "burning us" in the passing game.

Seriously, opinions are all valid...... but this one is weak & no where close to reality.

leebigeztx
10-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Let's imagine we got a corner better than Jason Allen.....

That's half of Campbell's 190 yards & 2 TDs of "burning us" in the passing game.

Seriously, opinions are all valid...... but this one is weak & no where close to reality.

Let's imagine wade not blitzing the run. He snatch blitzed a lot against oakland and played soft on the outside to contain the big play. In truth, I don't know why he was still playing soft off the heat vs press to the outside with heat. If he had a nt that could handle the inside, you wouldn't see inside run blitzes. In san diego, they played straight up a lot. Williams,castille,and igor controlled the los in the run and pass game.

76Texan
10-13-2011, 01:00 AM
Let's imagine wade not blitzing the run. He snatch blitzed a lot against oakland and played soft on the outside to contain the big play. In truth, I don't know why he was still playing soft off the heat vs press to the outside with heat. If he had a nt that could handle the inside, you wouldn't see inside run blitzes. In san diego, they played straight up a lot. Williams,castille,and igor controlled the los in the run and pass game.

Well, I went back to take a quick look at the Steelers game.
On our first offensive drive (19 plays plus one penalty), the Steelers (with big Casey Hampton in there) was in cover 2 only 3 times (one of them was when we were faced with 1st and 20). They brought Polamalu up the other 17 times.
What do you have to say about that?

HJam72
10-13-2011, 10:34 AM
We could use one, but we don't "NEED" it. We got Smith and Watt on either side of whoever plays NT.

Texan_Bill
10-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Not to mention two inside LB's that are pretty good.

Rey
10-13-2011, 10:46 AM
We don't need a big NT, we just need a better one.